[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vt/ - Virtual Youtubers

View post   

File: 431 KB, 1920x1080, overdesigned but still cute.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
61372253 No.61372253 [Reply] [Original]

I don't know much about this v-tuber thing, but it seems alright. I played HoloCure and Idol Showdown, and thought they were fun. However, there's so much to choose from, and from so many different regions, it's hard to choose a good starting point
Do you go for the model that looks cutest to you? I kinda like the rat and the zombie girl
Should I go for a preferred "genre" of vtuber? Like, should I track down one who prefers to play "retro" games in a relaxed but non-ASMR tone? Or is that going to lead to disappointment?
Is it better to pick a vtuber who still uploads, or are some retired vtubers a good starting point? Is Sakura Miko any good? Coco? They come up a lot in fan works, but I don't know if it's because they're cornerstones of the scene or because they're just cute

>> No.61372711

>>61372253
Depend a lot on what kind of content you like.
>Like, should I track down one who prefers to play "retro" games in a relaxed but non-ASMR tone?
https://youtu.be/whxZhNgKJUM

>> No.61373153

>>61372253
lurk moar

>> No.61373283

Just let the clips fill your feed and watch more of the girl who seems interesting to you.

>> No.61373329

>>61372253
Watch Miori Celestia. It's universally acknowledged that she is the best chuuba right now.

>> No.61373463

>>61372253
What language(s) do you speak?
What time slots/zones are available to you?
What kind of content do you want to watch?

>> No.61374221
File: 628 KB, 711x495, 1641364051028.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>61372253
I depends on a lot things, like, what type of content do you like? Do you like Vidya streams, music production, or some third category? When do you like to watch streams? There is probably a VTuber for that thing you like, you just have to dig for it.
>Do you go for the model that looks cutest to you? I kinda like the rat and the zombie girl.
Some do that. A good or unique model is certainly a draw. If you like Bae (Rat) or Ollie (Zombie), watch some of their stuff and see if they click with you. If they don't like either, try one of their genmates or friends and work from there. In Ollie's case, don't let Indonesian be an immediate turn off because HoloID is a fun bunch.
>Is it better to pick a vtuber who still uploads, or are some retired vtubers a good starting point? Is Sakura Miko any good? Coco? They come up a lot in fan works, but I don't know if it's because they're cornerstones of the scene or because they're just cute.
Generally it's preferred to watch someone who is still active like Miko but going through old vods is perfectly fine. Having JP skills helps a lot since this is a Japanese born hobby so a lot of the big names and events are in Japan. It's not necessary though since VTubers can get a not small number of foreign viewers who watch simply because they play a game they like or because they're cute. Just ask your local Lunaighto.

One last thing, this hobby is not kind to people with normal sleep schedules. You are likely to get fucked up because a stream ran until 2 or 3 A.M. in your timezone.

>> No.61374431
File: 391 KB, 1080x1920, 9fb007f3767a61249bf884397d88015d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>61372253
Use Holodex.net and see who normally streams at a good time for you. For me, it's 8 pm EST.
Try to give each one a decent viewing. See what they're like, what kind of content they create and how their chat is.
Then, list your top three because you know there's going to be times where your #1 (oshi) isn't streaming or they're streaming something you're not interested in.

>> No.61374711

>>61373463
>languages
English, but if some vtubers have subbed VODs that would be fine
>timeslots
Varies, but I like after-midnight and pre-sunrise time slots
>content
Older games, like PS2 era and earlier all the way to Intellivision. Anything from "first timer trying older games for the first time" to "old veteran playing their childhood fave to share it". For commentators, if I had to choose it'd be a solo player keeping lower-energy, not yelling too much but still into the game played, and just having a chill time with chat. Small group collabs are cool, too
I'll try the holodex and see what clicks with me, only asking questions if they come up
>>61374221
Sleep schedules won't be a problem, and thank you for the solid plans of approach, especially not just dedicating to one vtuber
>music production vtubers
Wasn't expecting that, but it sounds neat

>> No.61374756

>>61372253
I recommend watching debut streams first of whatever chuuba you choose to watch (hololive or other corpos), it gives you a good idea of what their interests and content will be
This debut stream is a classic, though she doesn't stream as much recently. :c
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBK0gKW61NU

>> No.61374992

>>61374711
>Older games, like PS2 era and earlier all the way to Intellivision. Anything from "first timer trying older games for the first time" to "old veteran playing their childhood fave to share it". For commentators, if I had to choose it'd be a solo player keeping lower-energy, not yelling too much but still into the game played, and just having a chill time with chat. Small group collabs are cool, too
Man if Korone was EN, she'd be perfect for you. She's a JP hag from the gamers generation who likes retro games (and is also a bit of a westaboo).
Try watching what got so many people into vtubers in the first place, with the infamous miko "nyegga~" clip, or Korone's English only stream.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10lVO5BV_Ws
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUaJGcdiOt0
There's WAY more to dig through, and streams might intimidate you for someone who just wants to see if a vtuber will click with you, so try clips first to get the general idea of a chuuba and then watch streams if you like them.

>> No.61375175

>>61374992 (Me)
Also the henry stickmin stream is very good, she picks up a lot of references
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WV9OsLopvso

>> No.61375220

>>61374711
In writing all that I failed to mention that VTubing has a lot of singers and those trying to make it in the music business (Thanks Hololive). It's also very possible you get into one because you liked a cover or original song they did.

>> No.61375380

just watch henya and enjoy

>> No.61375440

>>61372253
General rule of thumb is if a stream catches your attention, you drop by and see how she performs, do this with different girls each time and at some point one of them will make click with you, that may be the signal that she is your oshi
>Should I go for a preferred "genre" of vtuber?
Sounds like there would be a higher chance of the chuba making click with you so yes.
>Is it better to pick a vtuber who still uploads...
Yes, you won't get anything new from her if you pick a retired one

>> No.61375710

>>61374711
>Older games, like PS2 era and earlier all the way to Intellivision.
In that case you might want to have a look at the vtubers mentioned at
>>>/vt//vrt/
If you like older Playstation games in particular you might like
https://www.twitch.tv/karin_ch

>> No.61376367

>>61372253
WATCH KORONE PLAY MARIO WHILE SPEAKING ONLY ENGLISH

IT'S ESSENTIAL

>> No.61376647

>>61372253
>Should I go for a preferred "genre" of vtuber? Like, should I track down one who prefers to play "retro" games in a relaxed but non-ASMR tone? Or is that going to lead to disappointment?
This is one of the things I do. Usually people choose 1 - 2 corpos and find out about indies via looking at genres and collabs. 95% of what I watch is Hololive (and 90% is basically the same 5 members - that's already more streams than I can keep up with), most of what I watch outside of that are a small handful of indies that play retro games specifically.

Although genres are a good place to start, the most important factor is personality. Clips can be a good indicator as to whether or not you might gel with a vtubers sense of humor or personality traits, but sticking with a vtuber for the long haul means dealing with their personality warts and all. On top of that, some vtubers are extremely heavy on kayfabe - such as Fuwamoco - whereas others basically have zero kayfabe at all.

>>61374711
For retro games, Korone from Hololive is one of the most well known and plays the largest variety, from stuff like Dynamite Deka to the NES version of Wizardry - she usually has a live translator these days, so using holodex's multiview tab, you can see the translations provided by a fan moments after she says something - but for English, Fuwamoco from the same company sometimes play retro games (some Japanese PS2 stuff like Cookies and Cream and Sakura Wars, but also their Donkey Kong Country streams are pretty funny). In terms of indies that play retro games, there's a decent but slow retro games vtuber general on this board - they like Onilumi and Amiya a lot (as do I) who stream on Youtube, but I also watch Coqui, Meat and AiYumeka via twitch.

>> No.61376745

>>61374711
>>61375710 (me)
>Older games, like PS2 era and earlier all the way to Intellivision
Amiya is a cute retro autist who pretty much exclusively streams retro games.
https://www.youtube.com/@AmiyaAranha
>"first timer trying older games for the first time"
That was basically how Onolumi started expect instead of older games she hadn't played much of any games before deciding to start from the classics and it's been interesting seeing her reaction to some of the newer games she has more recently played.
https://www.youtube.com/@Onolumi
>if I had to choose it'd be a solo player keeping lower-energy, not yelling too much but still into the game played, and just having a chill time with chat.
That sounds a lot like Clauvio, https://www.twitch.tv/clauvio and thankfully she's among the few twitch streamers who also bother to archive their VODs on youtube https://www.youtube.com/@clauviosarchive1914 her playing Ocarina of Time as her first Zelda game was interesting to watch for example.

And yeah, Korone is great as others have pointed out.

>> No.61377270

>>61372253
>I kinda like the rat and the zombie girl

So I'm guessing you like comedy.

In that case Kiryuu Coco/ (Vshojo)Kson would maybe suit you

Pipkin Pippa and Tenma Maemi are dealing in comedy as well

fringe recommendations would be Gavis Bettel week in review series, or personally Dizzy Dokuro Phase Weekly series

>> No.61377754
File: 745 KB, 3218x4096, 1691880287345324.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>61374711
Amiya Aranha's the best EN retro chuuba IMO, but she streams at 3pm EST so it might not work. Loves DOS games, even got TWO (2) casio loopies. Her friend onolumi might be a better fit for your timeslot & also likes retro games, but they're quite different.
she's streaming right now btw. extremely consistent ~3 hours almost every day
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whxZhNgKJUM

>> No.61378269

>>61372253
just watch clips

>> No.61382374

>>61373329
Seconded, Miori is a good combination that gets you both gameplay and ASMR GFE to see what you like best.

>> No.61384311

I'd be remiss if I didn't recommend my oshi. She's hilarious, streams all the time, and has a wonderful personality
https://www.youtube.com/@MoriCalliope

>> No.61388606

>>61372253
If you are new and have no clue then just go with what looks good to you at first. You will find what your looking for over time. From my experience it's not going to be the game they play that makes things interesting. It's there interaction with the audience which makes the difference. Watch some clips of their best moments to see if it clicks with you.

>> No.61392700

>>61378269
based

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action