[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vt/ - Virtual Youtubers

View post   

File: 190 KB, 1600x898, jw-5d1b5711b11f86.33983776.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22292070 No.22292070 [Reply] [Original]

As some of you well know, long before your "Holo lives" and "Niji sanjies", virtual youtubing was a more sketch-comedy focused format, with creators like Kizuna Ai, Kaguya Luna, etc. making 10-15 minute videos about whatever they wanted. As it so happens, these videos were of a decent enough length that captioning them was reasonable and, thanks to the support of the Community Captions feature, allowed overseas fans to consume their content reasonably as well.

Around 2019, Youtube announced plans to deprecate this feature for unknown reasons. Although the feature being gone wasn't necessarily the end of the line for the original short-format Vtuber content, it certainly didn't help it's untimely death by the time Hololive came onto the scene. Coincidentally, just as it was officially discontinued in September of 2020, Hololive English debuted and cemented the death of the original short-format vtubing's popularity.

Now, there were a number of factors that contributed to the death of short-format Vtubing aside from community captions' death - Live2D models and rigging became significantly higher quality and easier to do, making it easier for companies to implement that sort of thing over full 3D models, streaming becoming a more lucrative opportunity with the advent of the superchat, etc. However, the hole in the western community (and in the pocket of companies/vtubers as missing views) from the death of community captions was still there.

https://support.google.com/youtube/thread/159457949
Well, as it turns out, Youtube is bringing it back in some form, albeit in a slightly different format.
From the article,
>When adding access to your channel through Channel Permissions, you’ll now see a role for “Subtitle Editor'' where you can invite users to access the subtitle editing features within YouTube Studio... Once the subtitle editor has accepted their invite, they’ll be given access to Studio where they will see a list of videos eligible for captioning. Subtitle Editors will be able to type out subtitles manually, edit automatically generated captions (when applicable), or upload subtitle and caption files.

How do you guys think this will effect potential overseas consumption of JP chuubas?

>> No.22292260
File: 133 KB, 720x945, epic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Post your fav memes

>> No.22292332

>>22292070
>How do you guys think this will effect potential overseas consumption of JP chuubas?
>Cover opens audition for subtitler
>Do jp reps like there's no tomorrow
>Gets hired
>Blackmail oshi to release incriminating subtitles if she doesn't obey me
>Hot steamy sloppy sex
>Profit.

>> No.22292423

>>22292070
Captions will have next to zero effect because no one is going to caption a 2-4hour stream. Clippers already widely translate and hardsub and those that do are going to prefer their colorful and large fonts over the black and white caption text.

>> No.22292460

Wew... that's a lot of FUCKING TEXT! Can I get the elevator pitch?

>> No.22292517

>>22292070
Nice essay but it probably won't make much difference, cover and niji etc already subtitle their short form content and full length streams are too long for anyone to seriously bother. Indie/ small corpo jps may find some utility but that's probably it

>> No.22292531

>>22292423
This is just koyori's open letter challenge. The prize may or may not be some sweet sweet coyote pussy.

>> No.22292585
File: 76 KB, 528x579, 1603984302939.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22292070
>Still Makes 10-15 min prerecorded episodes every week
>Each episode is fully subtitled in English at release
>Also streams regularly on top of that
>But clearly episodic format vtubing is dead and it is imposable to have them subbed without community halp.
Why did clip watcher anon lie to me?

>> No.22292614

>>22292423
>because no one is going to caption a 2-4hour stream
They absolutely will. Peoole already sit in chat and live translate for free, this is much easier.

>> No.22292649

>>22292070
It won't, requiring the channel owner to approve the subs was what killed it in the first place, and now that the scene for subbing those type of videos is almost nonexistent it will be even more impossible to get approved for the role

>> No.22293099

Thank God, Lyger can finally translate all of Matsuri's streams without me relying to holodex

>> No.22293234

>>22292070
Why did they even get rid of them in the first place

>> No.22293369

>>22292070
I liked HimeHina because of the variety of their content (alternating kusoge and zatsu, about 10 minutes each vid), which was aided by their videos consistently getting subtitles about 2-3 days after each of their videos aired. This was thanks to a dedicated and talented translator and programmer. They've stopped subbing HH vids a while ago, but I'd watch all of their translated videos back when they were available. Compared to hardsubbed clippers of streamers, the videos were on HimeHina's channel so they appropriately got the view counts and I didn't have to sub to separate, unreliable translator's channels.

With Vtubing more popular overall now, having community captions back doesn't help larger organizations like Hololive or Nijisanji. For example, Hologra and Polka no Densetsu premiere with english subtitles already through youtube's CC system.

This system benefits Vtubers or creators who mostly make 10-15 minute content videos, and are appealing enough to one fan who is bilingual, can translate, and is willing to add subtitles. Back when there was mostly only the Big 5, english speaking only fans could only consume stuff via translations. Now, there are enough english speaking Vtubers and content that translations of short form content in a language foreign to me aren't a necessity to get daily doses of anime girls. I could watch a Vtuber stream in my language, I could watch their VODs, I could watch clippers of JP Vtubers.

It would be cool if smaller channels that focused on short skits could consistently and reliably get translations from their community directly onto their videos, but if someone wanted to translate their oshi's material, they'd most likely already be doing so. The barrier of obtaining minimal video editing skills to translate their oshi's videos is removed, and their oshi can get more foreign views, but for the translator it comes at the cost of their control: being able to translate as much or as little of whatever they want, at their own pace.

There might be worthwhile benefit to those who require outside help to translate: the original Vtuber can make and upload their video, and someone else can add in CC afterwards, rather than requiring a translation before uploading by sharing the script or passing the video back and forth. Again, this assumes a Vtuber is creating content that can be easily translated, like 10-15 minute long videos. Either livestreaming and getting superchats or opening a patreon and hiring translators seem more sustainable.

>> No.22293471

>>22293234
Youtube is trying to eliminate the "you" from their brand because giving the rabble any control threatens the lords. Star ratings, viewer annotations, dislikes, anything that gives us a voice had to go. Corporate videos frequenly disable comments too, wrong opinions and controversial words get you demonetised, fair use doesn't prevent your video from getting claimed and deleted, soon users will probably have to pay Youtube for the ability to upload videos.

>> No.22293579

>>22293471
>Star ratings
The vast majority of people gave either 1 or 5 stars. Of all the features to go, this isn't one to complain about.

>> No.22293947

>>22292614
Live translations in chat are much more lenient in accuracy and amount than proper captions would be. The live translators I've seen in chats often summarize whatever is being said in maybe 10-15 second chunks, rather than nuanced translations line written per line said. The context of what the streamer said being able to change quickly and drastically means that live translations have to be quick to be relevant and understandable with that delay.

>>
Name
Subject
Comment
Action