[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 275 KB, 1200x1600, dogshit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9994183 No.9994183 [Reply] [Original]

This thing feels fucking awful. I can't even make a slight turn in Daytona without drifting off the course. Did I really waste 50 dollars on this shit?

>> No.9994190

>>9994183
Daytona wasn't designed to be compatible with the 3D pad, I assume you're emulating?

>> No.9994191

We got him lmao

>> No.9994195

>>9994183
>I can't even make a slight turn in Daytona without drifting off the course.
That's because the original Daytona USA doesn't have analog support beyond the Racing Wheel.

>> No.9994213

>>9994183
Try with NiGHTS or a different 3D game OP

>> No.9994274

>>9994183
You know it's a controller, not a buttplug, right?

>> No.9994280

>>9994190
Daytona USA is compatible with the 3d pad. I'm playing it on my sega saturn.

>> No.9994287

>>9994195
It does work on Daytona but it recognizes it as the steering wheel (which I've heard is also dogshit)

>> No.9994293

>>9994213
It was awful on powerslave and ok on sega rally but I think I still prefer the d-pad for it.

>> No.9994302

>>9994190
>Daytona wasn't designed to be compatible with the 3D pad
It was. The 3D pad has shit range and sensitivity compared to it's contemporaries like the DS and N64 pad.

>> No.9994396
File: 96 KB, 343x500, bernie stolar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9994183
>something Shiturn-related is fuckin dogshit

What'd you expect? Fuck the Sega Shiturn.

>> No.9994460

>>9994287
>It does work on Daytona but it recognizes it as the steering wheel
Which means it doesn't work. The Steering Wheel, Mission Stick, and 3D Controller are all analog. Early games that support the stick or wheel will technically let you play with the 3D Controller, but it wont work correctly because the game is programmed to be working for motions done with those other analog controllers. As a result with Mission Stick games there's a dead area where you can't get to the outer corners of the screen and with games that used the Wheel the motion is for a circular motion, not just moving the stick left and right.

So to play a game like Daytona USA with the 3D you need to use it like it's the racing wheel. Hold the stick forward and then move it left and right in a circular manner along the edge in the same range as the wheel. If you just move it left or right it's going to be like if you moved your steering wheel from neutral position to all the way to the left or right instantly.

>>9994302
>The 3D pad has shit range and sensitivity compared to it's contemporaries like the DS and N64 pad.
It actually has extremely good range and sensitivity. You need to use it with games that are actually designed around using it.

>> No.9994471

>>9994460
It did work much better that way but would still prefer using the standard D-pad. What games do you recommend with this controller?

>> No.9994478

>>9994471
Games that actually support it. So NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Sega Rally Plus/Netlink, Sega Touring Car, Daytona CCE, Croc, Panzer Dragoon Zwei, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Powerslave, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D, Sonic R, Sonic 3D Blast, etc.

>> No.9994534

>>9994478
>NiGHTS
makes little difference, no matter what people say.

>Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon Saga
Optimally you want to run at full speed all the time, so there's no point in using analog.

>Sega Rally Plus/Netlink, Sega Touring Car, Daytona CCE
Makes only as much difference as in base Daytona. Use a wheel, retard.

>Croc, Sonic R
tank controls, so analog doesn't help

>Sonic 3D
shit game regardless of controller

>Panzer Dragoon Zwei
controls worse with analog

>Powerslave, Quake, Duke Nukem 3D
Only Quake is better, and only with a secret cheat that remaps look into the analog stick and movement/strafe to BCYZ. Powerslave and DN3D just has you move with the analog, which makes zero difference (in fact it is slower than if you used the d-pad + run).

>> No.9994596

>>9994534
>makes little difference.
Doing loops works a lot better with the analog controller than it does with a D-Pad.

>Optimally you want to run at full speed all the time, so there's no point in using analog.
Except for the spots in later levels where you need to be more precise. And in Panzer Dragoon Saga the open flight areas feel a lot better.

>Makes only as much difference as in base Daytona. Use a wheel, retard.
Analog gas and brakes make a huge difference.

>tank controls, so analog doesn't help
It helps you position yourself better and allows walk slower when necessary. And in Sonic R the triggers help you turn better, so the analog triggers on the 3D pad help there.

>shit game regardless of controller
But it plays a lot better with the 3D controller.

>PDZ controls worse with analog
The game controls just fine with it and the most ideal way to play it is with a dual mission stick set up which is also analog.

>> No.9994649

>>9994596
I mean in sega rally you're pretty much always gonna wanna use the gearbox to slow down/get around tight corners anyways so ideally you never want to brake, and powerslave really feels like shit with the analog stick. If you want to be precise just tap the d-pad a few times. It's a shame you can't just use the analog stick for the camera, then it'd actually be good.

>> No.9994740

i dont remember having issues with the 3d pad on daytona, but i may have used the d-pad mostly.

daytona's driving seems simple at first but there's definitely a bit of a learning curve with the drifting and braking.

>> No.9994785

>>9994596
>Doing loops works a lot better with the analog controller than it does with a D-Pad.
Not really, you can make a circle just as easy with the d-pad, and the game has a minimum turn distance even with analog..

>Except for the spots in later levels where you need to be more precise.
problem is that the d-pad is more precise than analog. analog just allows you to not press a direction fully, which is pointless in arcade style games.

>Analog gas and brakes make a huge difference.
Nah, you can tap either to get the same result, the difference is how you change gears and when to stop pressing gas/break temporarily to start skidding.

>allows walk slower when necessary.
>walk slower
>in a racing game
ok

>in Sonic R the triggers help you turn better
That's how the triggers work with the normal d-pad and even on the PC with keyboard controls. You have to use corner brake + turning at the same time. Analog makes no difference here.

>But it plays a lot better with the 3D controller.
It doesn't because the problem isn't the controls but the horrible isometric field which does not allow you to accurately measure the distance of a jump, and the close viewpoint which does not allow you to see far enough ahead to gather speed. So it's a Sonic game where it is difficult to run fast or do precise jumping, missing out on the exact things that gave the series its name, therefore it controls like shit even if you use analog.

>The game controls just fine with it
no, the d-pad is more precise.
If you had mouse controls, then PDZ would control better, but an analog stick is not the same.

>and the most ideal way to play it is with a dual mission stick set up which is also analog.
also not true, the mission stick is just a gimmick allowing you to control both dragon movement and targeting the same time, but that does not make it control better since the game levels are built in a way so you don't have to dodge&target at the same time, as it was designed for d-pad in mind.

>> No.9994805

>>9994183
I mean just look at that stick. Just freakin look at it

>> No.9994808

>>9994183
Its kind of irritating those buttons aren't aligned right. They look a bit off.

>> No.9994825

>>9994785
>Not really, you can make a circle just as easy with the d-pad
But overall it feels a lot more clunky, while on the Analog stick it's a much faster and smoother motion.

>analog just allows you to not press a direction fully, which is pointless in arcade style games.
And Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga aren't arcade style games.

>Nah, you can tap either to get the same result
Ok, let's replace the gas and brake pedals in your car with two digital buttons and see how well you do with just tapping them.

> the difference is how you change gears and when to stop pressing gas/break temporarily to start skidding.
And with analog brakes and gas you don't have to completely stop pressing the gas or brake but can instead feather them.

>Walk slower in a racing game.
I'm referring to Croc there since you grouped both of them into one comment.

>That's how the triggers work with the normal d-pad
Yes, but with analog you can now control how much they make you turn. That does make a big difference.

>Sonic 3D Blast is trash!
Not what I'm talking about though. The game does control a lot better with the analog stick because you have more control over Sonic's momentum.

>no, the d-pad is more precise.
If you're not used to the Analog stick maybe. But the analog stick allows for much faster and more fluid movement.

>as it was designed for d-pad in mind.
Yet they took the time to program in multiple different control schemes.

Honestly your posts just read as "This isn't the way I play these games therefore it's wrong to play them any other way!"

>> No.9994838

>>9994785
I've beaten Panzer Zwei with the d-pad, 3d pad and mouse, 3d pad is the best

>> No.9994856

>>9994183
Clean out the internals and lube up the spring with white lithium grease. Also two things about the analog controller:

A lot of earlier games don't officially support the 3D pad. They support other controllers like the mission stick or racing wheel but due to how the 3D pad's analog values are mapped it won't work as intended. A couple games like Sega Rally Championship had re-releases that added proper 3D pad support, so make sure you're playing those instead of the original versions. If you're not sure, check this website for all the officially compatible games https://segaretro.org/3D_Control_Pad

Analog controls is different from modern games. You need to be very gentle and precise with moving the knob around, and for racing games especially you're going to be prone to oversteering if you just go the full range all the time.

>> No.9994905

>>9994856
I'm planning on lubing the analog stick. I'm okay with precise controls but it just feels really clunky and from what I've played it doesn't seem to enhance the experience compared to just using a d-pad. Sega rally plus is the best I've tried so far but it doesn't make as much of a difference like the negcon does on ps1.