[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 37 KB, 739x415, sg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9583207 No.9583207 [Reply] [Original]

Your favorite home console?
Your favorite franchise?
Favorite soundtrack?
What are you playing right now?
What are you planning to play in the near future?

>> No.9583213

>>9583207
>Your favorite home console?
Sg 1000

>> No.9583232
File: 71 KB, 540x541, tumblr_ef38d44d75ce435a1b3663e1deef8a72_8680126c_540.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583207
SEGA Mega Drive
>Your favorite franchise?
Sonic the Hedgehog
>Favorite soundtrack?
Sonic 3D: Flickies' Island (1996/SMD)
>What are you playing right now?
Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin (1991/SMD)
>What are you planning to play in the near future?
World of Illusion (1992/SMD)

>> No.9583241

>>9583207
1) Dreamcast
2) Sonic The Hedgehog
3) Streets Of Rage 2
4) Shenmue
5) Shadow The Hedgehog

>> No.9583242

>>9583207
Saturn
Sonic the Hedgehog
>Favorite soundtrack?
Streets of Rage 1
Grandia at home, Soul Hackers at work
Either Grandia 2 or Record of Lodoss War or that Utena visual novel if the translation isnt shit

>> No.9583263

>>9583242
>Saturn
That thing doesn't have a single exclusive
must play

>> No.9583265

>>9583263
no u

>> No.9583294

>>9583207
There isn't a single great Sega console, which is why they stopped being made, all their reviews are bought and paid for, which is why all the supposed 90% games are suddenly 70% games when released for another system ("I-it's because the lighting is a bit off in that one level!" No), be it Sonic, Crazy Taxi or that ugly dragon game, Sonic is so bad he is a meme now and his gameplay never worked, which every blind playthrough on the internet proves with people trudging through boring mazes and constantly running into shit because they obviously don't know the level inside out

Not your hugbox

>> No.9583295

>>9583263
You've obviously never owned a Saturn.

>> No.9583304

can we appreciate how bad they were

>> No.9583307

>>9583242
>>9583265
>>9583295
Just picked up a Saturn. What games should I be getting?
Preferably no Jap imports right now. Though I'll try down the line.

It's insane the price of Saturn games, btw.

>>9583294
Sega failed because Sega of Japan panicked and refused to listen to Sega of America. Their consoles did well in the West. They never did well in Japan. They constantly second guessed western decisions.

>> No.9583315

>>9583294
>all their reviews are bought and paid for, which is why all the supposed 90% games are suddenly 70% games
To be fair there existed like 20 Sega magazines handing out good scores

>> No.9583329

>>9583294
Nice copy pasta.

>> No.9583331

Genesis
Phantasy Star
>Favorite soundtrack?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alcQSebOxTk

>> No.9583336

>>9583307
>Sega failed because Sega of Japan panicked and refused to listen to Sega of America
all fanfic btw

>> No.9583337

>>9583241
>Shadow The Hedgehog
Me too, anon.
I remember making some friends of mine buy that game back in the day, lmao, but I've never actually played myself, the hype was pretty high tho, wasn't entirely my fault tbf.

>> No.9583342
File: 20 KB, 288x288, 1658454591428542.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583294
>There isn't a single great Sega console.
Master System and Game Gear were both excellent 8bit consoles filled with classics, of course they both couldn't compare to their main competitors, NES and Game Boy respectively, but that doesn't take away from the quality of their hardware and their success in some regions of the world outside of North America and Japan, they're still quite fun to play even nowadays. Genesis/Mega Drive is still a fantastic 16bit machine with most of SEGA's classic franchises, and near perfect arcade adaptations too, it was SEGA's most succesful console for a reason, it has hardware that was ahead of its time, and a library filled with quality titles in most genres, regardless if you prefer the SNES over it or not, just the fact that it managed to rival what could be the most perfect console of all time, the SNES, shows how good it was. If you want to talk about its add-ons, the 32x really was quite bad, but the CD had some decent titles for its time. At last we have the Saturn and Dreamcast, which weren't as succesful, but the Saturn's library isn't bad, especially in Japan, and the Dreamcast had probably the best launch lineup ever.

>Sonic's gameplay never worked.
>Every blind playthrough on the internet proves
I see this take getting posted a lot nowadays, the whole "Sonic was never good" nonsense, and that's exactly what this sort of comment is, nonsense. Sonic is probably the only franchise where people seem to feel proud of themselves for being really bad at it, like it turns them into a video game connoisseur to suggest that one of the most beloved and succesful franchises of all time is somehow fundamentally flawed. You can't expect to pick up the controller and be good at it from the get go, no video game is expected to let you just do well and win right away.

>> No.9583359

>>9583307
Fighters Megamix
Fighting Vipers(Japan version has Pepsiman)
Panzer Dragoon(better to use a CDR or a MODE to play this game, due to how expensive it is on eBay)
Last Bronx
Burning Rangers

By the way, the games are cheaper via Japanese imports, but preferably you'll want to get the arcade or fighting games since those are easier to play from Japan than say an RPG game.

>> No.9583362

>>9583337
Yeah, I've been meaning to play that game but never got around to it because I just wasn't interested. But I figured it would be the closest thing to having a Sonic Adventure 3(besides Sonic Heroes), so I'll buy it at some point.

>> No.9583365

>>9583359
I have Panzer Dragoon II Zwei.
Is the first one better?

Yeah, looks like all of those are a bit to expensive for the American versions. I usually stick to garage sales or thrift stores and just hope I luck out.
But even my local thrift stores have raised the prices so they're no longer as fun as they used to be.

>> No.9583368

>>9583294
>There isn't a single great Sega console
You've obviously never owned a single Sega console. I used to be a Nintendo fanboy until I owned a Sega Genesis. Now I own all four Sega consoles. With Saturn and Dreamcast being my top two favorites due to the gaming library they have.

>> No.9583369

>>9583342
>couldn't compare to the competitors
That's kinda what not great means
>no video game is expected to let you just do well and win right away.
Most good ones actually do, that's called being intuitive. Sonic does too because it's easy, but it's cumbersome and without any flow. Blind playthroughs speak a much, much clearer language than your big cope post, my furry friend

>> No.9583371

>>9583368
>You've obviously never owned a single Sega console
Even your furry friend agrees with me. Stop shitposting with baseless conjecture

>> No.9583372

>>9583365
I think the second one is better, but the first one is just as fun.

Yeah, usually thrift stores and garage sales are the best places to get expensive games. I remember buying Power Stone 2(Dreamcast) for $3 at a thrift store. Thankfully it was complete and there's nothing wrong with it. It was worth $79 complete on eBay last I checked.

>> No.9583380

>>9583371
The only one shitposting is you. I'm just spitting out facts. All the Sega consoles were great. Just because they're not as popular as Nintendo or Sony consoles, doesn't make Sega consoles shitty.

>> No.9583394
File: 92 KB, 512x512, 1656319535800.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583369
>That's kinda what not great means.
I see that more as Nintendo being geniuses and providing both the NES and Game Boy with solid titles that went on to become classics, also the fact that Nintendo pretty much saved the industry meant that they had a head start in this new phase of it after the crash, which lead to more sales and more publishers preferring them, but something being superior doesn't take away from one's individual quality. If you're in school and a colleague of yours gets an A+ while everyone else gets a B- or C+ at best, that single A+ isn't enough to make your A- not great.

>That's called being intuitive.
>It's cumbersome and without any flow.
Well, there's an important difference between something being intuitive and being shallow, in most video games you can beat the starting levels without issue, because they're lenient, the same goes for Sonic, however winning and doing well aren't the same, to play a level and expect to not run into anything, essentially doing a perfect run, it'll always take practice and an understanding of patterns and mechanics. You have to play the levels a few times and learn to roll into a ball in slopes to gain speed and protect yourself, you'll not run into things as often.

P.S. I'm not a furry, I just really like playing Sonic the Hedgehog because his video games are good.

>> No.9583410
File: 96 KB, 343x500, bernie stolar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

~ /vr/'s official Sega consoles tierlist ~

God Tier:
Dreamcast

High Tier:
Genesis

Mid Tier:
Master System

Low Tier:
SG-1000

Shit Tier:
Sega Shiturn (the system that killed Sega)

>> No.9583417

>>9583410
>dreamcast
>god tier
>has Floigan Bros. Episode 1
coincidence? yeah, i don't think so.

>> No.9583440

>>9583307
my fave saturn games are:
>NiGHTS into Dreams
>Grandia
>Shining Force III (havent played all 3 parts yet tho)
>Megaman X4
>Darius Gaiden
>Panzer Dragoon Zwei
>Exhumed
>Lunar Silver Star Story
>Battle Garegga
>Sega Rally
>Symphony of the Night
>Panzer Dragoon Saga
>Virtua Cop 2
>Policenauts
>Virtual-ON Cyber Troopers
>Street Fighter Zero 3
>Sonic Jam
>Capcom Generation: Dai 2 Shuu Makai to Kishi (which is a JP compilation of the Ghouls and Ghosts games)

I know someone will say theyre not all exclusives and there are better versions of some of them on other consoles, but I dont have those other consoles so fuck off lol

as far as the cost of Saturn games is concerned i just have a Pseudo Saturn Kai cart and burn my own discs
i would like one of those ODE's but they cost as much as my full saturn setup, before shipping and tax

>> No.9583484

>>Your favorite home console?
Either the Genesis or the Dreamcast. Hard to decide.
>>Your favorite franchise?
Sonic? I haven't played many Sega-exclusive franchises, to be fair.
≥>Favorite soundtrack?
Either Maximum Carnage or Top Gear 2 (Top Gear 1 was a SNES exclusive and also has banger music, btw)
>>What are you playing right now?
Nothing, really. Been too busy lately.
>>What are you planning to play in the near future?
Just bought a Game Gear for a decent price. Never owned one before (was a Nintendo kiddie, roast me) so I'm looking forward to it. Not sure if I'm going to LCD mod it or not... depends on the condition, I suppose. I don't have any games yet, but I'm probably just going to buy an everdrive for now and play around with different games until I decide on what's worth buying. Should arrive on Monday; hopefully it actually works. Wish me luck, lads.

>> No.9583727

>>9583372
>I think the second one is better, but the first one is just as fun.
The problem with most Saturn games is that they're just too short.
>I remember buying Power Stone 2(Dreamcast) for $3 at a thrift store.
That's a fucking great steal.

>>9583440
No love for Clockwork Knight?

>>Sonic Jam
Isn't this just the Genesis games?
A shame we never got Sonic X-Treme.

I'll check out some of these, anon. Thanks for the recommendations.

>> No.9583759
File: 65 KB, 500x475, shenmue.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583207
everything from the dreamcast era was really something special imo. a lot of the sega studios had really gotten creative after the saturn's underperformance, and it really shows in many of their games. There is just nothing like a shenmue or a phantasy star online.

>> No.9583763

>>9583759
>shenmue
Terrible game.
Boring. Nothing happens.

>> No.9583776
File: 44 KB, 640x396, 307822_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583207
SEGA CD
Sonic the Hedgehog
>Favorite soundtrack?
Varies
Castlevania Bloodlines
More SEGA CD. Maybe Popful Mail at some point

SEGA CD is honestly such a cool add-on. The Saturn is neat but it's the SEGA CD that kept me coming back ultimately. Stuff like Terminator, Starblade, Road Rash, Keio Flying Squadron, Lords of Thunder, Android Assault were totally mindblowing for me. The Dreamcast is also neat, I need to try more of those at some point too. Growing up I only ever owned a Genesis and a Pico (Nintendo kid I guess) but my cousin had all of the cool SEGA stuff.

>> No.9583789

>>9583232
Impressive.

>> No.9583824

>>9583763
think about it from the perspective of 1999, there were not that many games with the same level of graphical fidelity and immersion at the time.

>> No.9584481

>>9583410
Bernie troll with his misinformation. Last I checked, the Saturn lasted longer than the Dreamcast. Plus if Bernie was so good at his job, why did the Dreamcast fail and why did he left?

>> No.9584489

>>9583727
>The problem with most Saturn games is that they're just too short.
Some Dreamcast games were the same way. Although I like my games shorter than longer because I don't want to spend too much time on the same game, I like to try other games out. Unfortunately today's games, you need to spend a lot of time playing the same game just to level up your characters and you need to always play online.

>That's a fucking great steal.
I know. I was lucky to have spotted it and bought the game. The thrift store was right next to the dentist's office I was visiting.

>> No.9584490

>>9583763
You obviously never played it. I had lots of fun with Shenmue. I even liked it more than Sonic Adventure 1 & 2.

>> No.9584584
File: 36 KB, 1024x724, Sega lost the most money during the Saturn's lifespan.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9584481
>Bernie troll with his misinformation. Last I checked, the Saturn lasted longer than the Dreamcast.
>Shiturn's last game: 2000 (lasted 6 years)
>Dreamcast's last game: 2007 (lasted 9 years)
Try again, Saturn faggot.

>Plus if Bernie was so good at his job, why did the Dreamcast fail and why did he left?
Dreamcast didn't "fail", Sega merely couldn't stay afloat after accruing such a huge financial burden from the Saturn's underperforming and had to bow out of the industry (that is, if their debt hadn't been forgiven by Okawa).

Also, Bernie left because SoJ misunderstood his genius and didn't want the west to one-up the japs once again and embarrass them like what had happened with the Sega Genesis.

>> No.9584595

>>9584584
They were profitable up untill 97?
What caused the sharp decline afterwards? Saturn was already out in the market

>> No.9584638

>>9584595
>They were profitable up untill 97?
Yes, thanks to the Genesis still selling quite well in the west even by then.
>What caused the sharp decline afterwards? Saturn was already out in the market
SoJ retardedly deciding to cancel the Genesis so all they had was the Saturn, which was a failure and tarnished Sega's branding.

>> No.9584663
File: 153 KB, 522x476, 1597993770816.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583207
Mega Drive
Sonic
>Favorite soundtrack?
Thunder Force IV
Sonic the Hedgehog (SMS)
Sonic Snuffle

>> No.9584675

SEEEEGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAA

>> No.9585304

Mega Drive was my first home console that I got in freaking mid 1998, the Dreamcast was in the oven by that time, before that I used to play a lot of system16 games on MAME at my mom's workplace.
God bless Sega.

>> No.9585325

Nintendo won

>> No.9585734

>>9583207
Megadrive
Fifa
>Favorite soundtrack?
fighting vipers
sega gt 2002
sonic adventure 2

>> No.9585737

>>9584663
The SMS version is my favorite Sonic game. I love how the crystals are hidden in the levels instead of behind some bonus level.

>> No.9585748

>>9583207
test

>> No.9585821
File: 1.70 MB, 2736x3648, CIMG9334.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583207
Genesis
Sonic the Hedgehog
>Favorite soundtrack?
Columns.
Sub Terrania, Micro Machines
Probably The Ooze. I bought the game long ago, never played it. It's about time.

>> No.9585824

>>9584584
>Berniefag post MS Paint style infograph
>Tries to pass it off as evidence.
Nice try faggot. SoJ were the ones being successful outside of the U.S. It's the idiots in the U.S. that screwed up, starting with releasing the 32X add-on, as well as cutting the Sega Saturn's lifespan, which pissed off a lot of retailers. Dreamcast died in the U.S. in 2002 but was going strong in Japan because SoJ knew how to market Dreamcast better.

>> No.9586202

>>9584638
>Yes, thanks to the Genesis still selling quite well in the west even by then.
The Genesis wasn't selling well. Sales of the console had dried up by 1996 and there's evidence the software sales were tanking even sooner than that. People were buying the systems in 1994 and 1995 as cheap budget systems, but not the games at full price. A lot of games were being given away for free or dumped in bargain bins. And even though the systems were selling better than the software, it was still nothing compared to what the PS1 and even the Saturn were selling at the time.

That massive loss you see in FY98 is because Sega of Japan took over, realized there was a shitton of unsold Genesis hardware and software sitting in warehouses and they wrote them off to get rid of them. They then re-evaluated Sega of America's assets and net worth and it made a huge dent in their financials.

How things worked back then was that Sega of America bought hardware (consoles, accessories, etc.) and software (mostly cartridges as CDs were being printed everywhere) from Sega of Japan. So every time Sega of America ordered more stock, that counted as a sale in Sega of Japan's export revenue. But that stuff wasn't selling and was sitting in warehouses. So the parent company's finances were looking ok because of those "sales", but the subsidiary was doing much worse, but it wasn't being reflected accurately. So when Japan took over in 1996-1997, they realized this massive mess was going on, wrote off all the inventory and got rid of it. But that meant now those "sales" from previous years were actually losses and it made a huge impact.

>> No.9586314
File: 538 KB, 1536x2048, ENjMtwNVAAA4VJL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583207
SEGA SATURN
Dragon Force
>Favorite soundtrack?
Musha Aleste
Monster Slider
Sakura Wars 2, once its translated

>> No.9586318

>>9583410
SNOY posing as a SEGA fan. Fuck off Auster faggot. You suck.

>> No.9586396

>>9583207
>genesis, 2nd is dreamcast but it isn't close
>sonic i guess. genesis doesn't have a lot of "franchises"
>castlevania bloodlines
>strider
>contra hardcorps

>> No.9586413

>>9584595
>What caused the sharp decline afterwards? Saturn was already out in the market
Sega decided to end support for the Genesis.
The Playstation really took off and completely killed the Saturn. Up to that point, while the Playstation had the upper edge, they were selling at near parity.
The N64 had just come out.

Something of note is that Sega of Japan repeatedly refused to share game engines and tools for the Saturn with Sega of America.
Greatly handicapped the ability of SoA to release games.

>> No.9586458

>>9586413
>Sega decided to end support for the Genesis.
No. The sharp decline is because Sega of America bought too much Genesis inventory from Sega of Japan and had it sitting in warehouses. Sega of Japan came in, realized the mess Sega of America had made and wrote off all the unsold stock. Suddenly all those "sales" from previous years in the Japanese books became one massive loss all at once.
>Something of note is that Sega of Japan repeatedly refused to share game engines and tools for the Saturn with Sega of America.
This is complete and utter bullshit. We have archives of the exact dev tools both Sega of Japan and Sega of America had. Sega of America had the same tools, samples, and libraries that Sega of Japan had. The the most recent Japanese dev disc that had the so called "better" versions of these libraries that supposedly US developers didn't have are almost identical to the tools and libraries that have been on the internet for decades, they just had a few minor bug fixes and in some cases actually resulted in worse performance. And there's no evidence that Sega of America didn't have these tools other than the fact the disc itself is a very late 1997 release.

The simple fact of the matter is all the talent that Sega of America and STI either went back to Japan or left the company leaving only the incompetent hacks to work on Saturn stuff. Maybe if Sega of America didn't go balls deep into the 32X and waste time, resources, etc. developing games for it in 1994 instead putting all that effort into the Saturn, things could have been different.

>> No.9586482

>>9586458
>The sharp decline is because Sega of America bought too much Genesis inventory from Sega of Japan and had it sitting in warehouses.
Okay. But why drop support?
There were games in the works by 3rd parties that were cancelled out right because Sega refused to continue supporting the Genesis.
This is to say nothing of the 32X fiasco that SoJ forced on SoA.

>This is complete and utter bullshit.
The developer of Sonic X-Treme outright said that SoJ refused to give SoA the game engine of Nights into Dreams.
Not to mention that SoJ also told off the developers.

>> No.9586490

>>9586482
>refused to give
Refused to allow them to use it*
They had it.

>> No.9586608

>>9586482
>Okay. But why drop support?
Because it was 1997, and time to move on.
>There were games in the works by 3rd parties that were cancelled out right because Sega refused to continue supporting the Genesis.
Bullshit. There were third party games still releasing for it as late as 1998. The bulk of third parties that mattered had already moved on to the PS1, N64, and even the Saturn.
>the 32X fiasco that SoJ forced on SoA.
This is an out of context statement that keeps getting regurgitated without context. 32X wasn't FORCED on Sega of America. The fabled phone call in 1994 that peopel quote was in response to Sega of America continuing to drag their feet and not get behind the Saturn. They didn't want to release it and instead wanted to stick to the Genesis. Which again, the Genesis was showing it's age and software sales were beginning to slump. So this phone call was Japan going "Ok if you don't want the Saturn what the hell do you want and what the hell are we going to release here to counter these new upcoming systems?"

So eventually Sega of Japan gave in and agreed that they wouldn't release Saturn in the US yet and would instead focus on the Genesis and offered an enhanced Genesis with more colors to try and extend it's life. Sega of America countered with the 32X. So no, the 32X wasn't forced on Sega of America. It was Sega of Japan giving Sega of America exactly what they wanted.
>The developer of Sonic X-Treme outright said that SoJ refused to give SoA the game engine of Nights into Dreams.
Which has been debunked by Yuji Naka. NiGHTS was a game hardcoded in Assembly. People who have dug into the game to try and datamine and reverse engineer it have confirmed it's very obvious that it's handwritten assembly and not compiled C code. As a result, that code was useless for anyone trying to make their own game because it wasn't an engine and wasn't easy to use in any way like that.

Naka stated he doesn't even remember anyone asking for it.

>> No.9586626

>>9586482
>>9586608
>There were games in the works by 3rd parties that were cancelled out right because Sega refused to continue supporting the Genesis.
Going further off of this, I believe you have this situation mixed up. Third Party devs weren't mad at Sega for dropping the Genesis because they had games in the works for it in 1997/1998. They were made at them for dropping the Saturn in 1998 for this reason. These were developers like EA, Konami, Capcom, Game Arts, Atlus, Hudson, etc. Which it shouldn't be a surprise that those devs with the exception of Capcom made significantly less games for Dreamcast than they did for Saturn. Some like EA skipped it entirely.
>NiGHTS and Sonic Xtreme
And going further off of this, Sonic Xtreme was doomed long before the supposed NiGHTS fiasco. The project was a text book case of terrible project management, the lead programmer never even touched a Saturn devkit and was convinced his PC code could just compile for the Saturn and be fine. When told to stop that shit and help the rest of his team, he kept dicking around with his PC build which lead to the other programmer almost dying from carrying the rest of the viable project on their shoulders.

And the supposed NiGHTS build of the game, is actually running in Chris Coffin's boss engine.

>> No.9586630

>>9586608
>Because it was 1997, and time to move on.
Nintendo didn't drop the SNES in NA until 1999.
The Master System was supported until the Saturn came out. (It's still /technically/ supported in BR.)
>This is an out of context statement that keeps getting regurgitated without context. 32X wasn't FORCED on Sega of America.
That's not my understanding.
SoA thought the Genesis could survive, SoJ was worried that it wouldn't survive in the gap of time needed to get the Saturn to market. The Genesis did poor in Japan. Through this, the idea of an add-on was born.
Actually, this relates to what's above. The Genesis was popular in the West, but not in Japan.
SoJ forced the end of the Genesis when they saw the Saturn was doing well in Japan. They couldn't wait to get rid of the Genesis since, from where they were seated, it was trash. They weren't interested enough in what the West thought. They shot themselves in the foot. They should've listened to Kalinske.
>the Genesis was showing it's age and software sales were beginning to slump.
Okay, but forcing developers to make games for it - when they should've been focusing on Saturn. And treating your fan base like shit is not wise.

>NiGHTS was a game hardcoded in Assembly.
So? I work in embedded systems. I do ASM and C/C++.
What's your point? C and ASM go hand in hand.

>Going further off of this, I believe you have this situation mixed up.
I might.

>They were made at them for dropping the Saturn in 1998 for this reason.
Many were mad that the Saturn launched without giving them forewarning.

On another note, I hate NiGHTS.

>> No.9586703

>>9586630
>Nintendo didn't drop the SNES in NA until 1999.
They also released it 2 years after the Genesis.
>The Master System was still supported.
Even more evidence they were spreading themselves too thin.
>That's not my understanding.
Well you're understanding is wrong. It comes from a very old interview that's as I said a small piece in a bigger picture. People have done far more research into this since that interview including a deeper dive into the Japanese side which was previously less well known. We have interviews from developers, the hardware designers, etc. and it paints a much clearer picture as previously described.
>SoJ was worried that it wouldn't survive in the gap of time needed to get the Saturn to market.
There is no evidence of Sega being concerned about the Saturn not releasing on time. Every mention of the Saturn from 1992 to it's launch makes it very clear it was intended to release by the end of 1994. At the CES show where the 32X phone call happened Sega of America even announced the Saturn and that it would release in Japan by the end of the year.
>They should have listened to Kalinske
They did, they gave him exactly what he wanted in the 32X. Sega of America was high on their on farts and thought they could hold off the PS1 by sticking to the Genesis. Sega of Japan tried to back them up with an enhanced Genesis and that led to the 32X. That failed horribly and did far more damage to the company than anything Sega of Japan did with the Saturn.
>SoJ forced the end of the Genesis when they saw the Saturn was doing well in Japan.
No, the Genesis wasn't discontinued until it was dead and buried. Go actually look at the sales. They hardware sells maybe a million or so more after the PS1 releases, and both the PS1 and Saturn begin outselling it. And the software sales were abysmal.:
https://mdshock.com/2021/04/14/segas-financial-troubles-an-analysis-of-export-revenue-1991-1998/

>> No.9586707

>>9586630
>>9586703
>What's your point? C and ASM go hand in hand.
I work in embedded systems too. And if you truly work in it as you claim you should realize trying to use someone else's hard coded assembly game as a generic general purpose engine is retarded and wont help you. Especially when said code is still unfinished and in a state of development itself.

And there's also contradictions from Yuji Naka as well as other members of the Xtreme team that bring into question if this event ever happened at all. Naka has no memory of this incident happening and others have said they don't really remember it being discussed or seeing any of the code or tools. It's more likely that it's another tall tale from one or two Sonic Xtreme members that doesn't hold water.
>Many were mad that the Saturn launched without giving them forewarning.
No they weren't. They were well aware of the Saturn's existence as early as 1993. What they were mad about was Sega of America dicking around and trying to shove the 32X down their throats when they wanted to develop stuff for the Saturn instead.

There's even quotes from Japanese and European developers at Sega that effectively boil down to "WTF are we doing with this stupid 32X add-on when we have the Saturn?!"

>> No.9586728

>>9586707
>Even more evidence they were spreading themselves too thin.
Drop the Master System and treat the Genesis as they did the SMS.
And, of course, don't release the 32X boondoggle.
>Well you're understanding is wrong.
Maybe you're right.
>That failed horribly and did far more damage to the company than anything Sega of Japan did with the Saturn.
We're in agreement here.
The dispute is who is to blame for the 32X existing in the first place.
Not to mention that Stolar made bad decisions with the Saturn. Really just a poorly run company all around.

>>9586707
>I work in embedded systems too.
I hate it.
>you should realize trying to use someone else's hard coded assembly game as a generic general purpose engine is retarded and wont help you.
No, I don't agree. Sometimes taking a look at other people's solutions does wonders.
It's why IBM introduced code reviews way back in the '60s.
This is especially true for the Saturn - assuming the hardware was really as bad as they say. (I've never dug into it.)

>Yuji Naka as well as other members of the Xtreme team that bring into question if this event ever happened at all.
Yes, let's listen to the tax fraud.
It's quite clear the internal politics of Sega - both America and Japan - fucked the dev team over. Maybe Naka wasn't present, but someone from Japan definitely fucked with them.
>What they were mad about was Sega of America dicking around and trying to shove the 32X down their throats when they wanted to develop stuff for the Saturn instead.
>There's even quotes from Japanese and European developers at Sega that effectively boil down to "WTF are we doing with this stupid 32X add-on when we have the Saturn?!"
So we're in agreement here.

>> No.9586737

>>9583207
>N64
>Super Mario
>Chrono Trigger
>comfy Link to the Past playthrough on switch
>FFIX, Paper Mario, Dragon Quest V & VIII, Azure Dreams, Pokemon Platinum, Xenogears, Wild Arms, Mega Man Legends 1/2, a whole lot more

A few listed above are just replays of games I beat as a kid or ages ago, but I'm comfymaxxing as of now and enjoying it.

>> No.9586738
File: 50 KB, 512x416, jerk.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583207
Genesis, Sega CD, and the Saturn
shit, if it's good I'll play anything from space shooters, rpgs, platformers, paper-rock-scissors nudity game (on the saturn), strip fighter, etc.
>Favorite soundtrack?
SoTN on Saturn
Shadowrun (Genesis)
Some more Sega Saturn games or maybe just play through Space Adventure Cobra on Sega CD again

>> No.9586739
File: 161 KB, 1920x1080, saturm.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What the FUCK were they thinking!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyv6ZehQyTQ

>> No.9586748
File: 1.37 MB, 480x270, FuglyDragonGame.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9583294
>that ugly dragon game
oh lord, I'm lafn
It was fun, graphics were nice, and the sounds weren't terrible.
I'm guessing you're playing Devil's advocate or something.

>> No.9587078

>>9583207
Dreamcast.
Spaaaace Channel 5.
>Favorite soundtrack?
Magical Sound Shower - Outrun.
Sega Rally 2.
Shenmue.

>> No.9587572
File: 52 KB, 267x374, Ecco-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>make an impossibly difficult game
>...about a dolphin
>try to turn the character into an additional mascot
>shill it at every turn
What the FUCK were they thinking.

>> No.9587659

SEGA chad here:
>Favorite home console:
Mega Drive, SMS you only need 8 and 16-bit
>Favorite franschise
Don't really care for franschises, I like individual games if they are good.
>Favorite soundtrack
Hyperstone Heist, Mortal Kombat (love the drums), Battle for Arrakis (GEMS used correctly), Battle Mania (2 hot babes that hate nintendo), Revenge of Shinobi, OutRun, SoR, GleyLancer, Vapor Trail, TF3, Sonic 2, Splatterhouse 2, Road Rash, Zero Wing, Super Hang-On, Super Monaco GP (kinda rough ost but i love concentration), to name a few... I feel this is a small bit of representation of both the rough but still nice and perfectly smooth MD stuff i like.
>Playing now
Just chilling with some Dragon's Revenge.
>Future
I haven't completed Wonder Boy 3 for SMS I think that's my next project.
>Playing on
Original hardware and on B&O CRT

>> No.9588727

>>9587078
>Sega Rally 2
Make sure to enter the "lock to 30fps" cheat code (not the 60fps one) to have the best experience.

>> No.9589136

>>9583207
Your favorite home console?
>Sega Genesis
Your favorite franchise?
>Strike Series, then Sonic
Favorite Soundtrack?
>PSO's Main Menu song. Its just so soothing and peaceful.
>The Legacy of Kain - Soul Reaver
What are you planning to play in the near future?
>I don't know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Go2e_-2VxX8

>> No.9590617

Mega Drive (All Sega consoles are great)
Shinobi (Also Sonic)
>Favorite soundtrack?
Jet Set Radio (Also Phantasy Star 2)
Nothing from Sega recently. Super Robot Wars Gc and Pokemon FireRed
The Mansion of Hidden Souls or Phantasy Star 2

>> No.9590903
File: 1.29 MB, 480x316, I hate Ecco.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9587572
I've never understood the logic behind this niche game series. It's just a waste of time, resources, manpower, and money.

>> No.9590909

>>9583295
Nice list of Saturn exclusives worth playing you posted.

>> No.9590936

>>9583207
Genesis/Mega Drive
Phantasy star
Soundtrack to Phantasy Star 2
Most recently, Sonic 2
Either streets of rage 2, Columns, or Sonic &Knuckles (the latter if I'm able to get a copy sometime soon)

>> No.9590941

>>9590909
Sega got adventurous trying to kill Nintendo's dominance.
They succeeded, but at what cost?

>> No.9590946

>>9590941
Meant for >>9590903

>> No.9590971
File: 3.92 MB, 1440x6201, Saturn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9590909
not him, but...
have you ever wanted to play paper-rock-scissors and be rewarded with nude japanese waifus? NOW YOU CAN WITH THIS GAME:

Yakyuuken Special, The - Kon'ya wa 12-kaisen!!

on a side note, I've actually owned in the past and are fun even today:

fighting:
Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special

space shooter:
Soukyuu Gurentai
Radiant Silvergun
Metal Black
Galactic Attack
Bulk Slash (short but seriously fun)

horror:
Resident Evil

mech strategy:
QuoVadis 2 - Wakusei Kyoushuu Ovan Rei

rail shooter:
Panzer Dragoon II Zwei

mech combat simulator:
Gungriffon (this was my first Saturn game over 20 years ago! I bought it for a few bucks and a used Saturn for maybe $30)

Castlevania:
Dracula X

Racing:
Daytona USA
Sega Rally
VR Virtua Racing
High Velocity - Mountain Racing Challenge

>> No.9590984
File: 82 KB, 320x224, AllYourBaseAnimated.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9590941
It's like when I play a strategy game and two sides fight it out while achieving a pyrrhic victory that destroys them both (Nintendo, Sega) while a third army (Sony) drops by to defeat them both.
They all have made good games but it would be nice to have more variety and less of a monopoly.

>> No.9590998
File: 82 KB, 474x655, th-2846003266.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be a Genesis best seller in the West
>Sega of America gets working on Saturn version
>Sega of Japan forces them to stop and push Virtua Fighter 2 more
Why were they so committed to fucking everything up?

>> No.9591013

>>9590998
Excess pride and internal strife run amok?

>> No.9591023

>>9591013
I think it's more that SoJ failed to understand the market differences.