[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 246 KB, 800x803, castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-sega-saturn-front-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8670876 No.8670876 [Reply] [Original]

This has Maria, that's a whole extra character to play as, the bugs and weird idiosyncrasies between it and the PS1 version can't be enough to make it not the best version right?

>> No.8670881

>>8670876
the biggest problems it has are nasty visuals performance issues. I believe work is being done to correct both of these

>> No.8670883

>>8670876
Having to pause the game and waiting eternity for the map screen to load is what makes the Saturn port unplayable.

Not even the rom hacks could save this port.

>> No.8670905

>>8670883
Oh yeah that's real bad. I wonder why they made it like that. Can the Saturn really not handle fast map loading or some shit? I mean it has one less button sure but did SOTN even use all the buttons?

>> No.8671013

>>8670905
The devs were simply incompetent. Half the VDP2 layers are wasted on text layers. One only shows up when dialogue is happening, rest of the time it just sits there wasting VRAM space with the text tiles. The other text layer is for Debug code which in normal play is never used.

The entire reason the game takes so long to load in the Menu is because it's loading in a 700KB Kanji font file. The English patch unintentionally fixed this because they replaced that file with a 30KB ASCII font file. That made the load time for the menu match the PS1 version.

>> No.8671024

>>8670876
Even the android version is better than the dogshit shitturn port

>> No.8671037

>>8670876
it sucks

>> No.8671080

I still wonder whether the added areas and enemies were original and made for theport or very old restored cut content that wasn't up to par with the rest of the game.

>> No.8671161

i think i have the jp version of the psx game with an eng translation patch. the translation is good. the US voice acting/text in this game gives you completely the wrong impression about the story.

>> No.8671168

>>8671161
alucard's english voice is too sexy though

>> No.8671169

>>8671168
yeah his english va is way better. but the clarity with the story is almost worth it.

>> No.8671185

I fucked it up /vr/. On an impulse, I bought the physical version of Castlevania Requiem for the PS4 (who has SotN and Rondo of Blood), because the original ones cuadruple the price of the collection.

But... I read that Konami just put the PSP versions emulated on the PS4 and no more. /vr/os, I never played the PSP version of SotN, at least I can play as Maria in this one?

>> No.8671191

>>8670876
so was this unreleased track suppose to be just for the saturn version? it's a really cool version of Bloody Tears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6cWZRgEjhBM

>> No.8671195

>>8671185
Yeah it has Maria
The only bad thing about the PSP version is that the voice acting is less cheesy and therefore less fun
But Maria is in, and she plays more like her Rondo of Blood version than the Saturn version

>> No.8671220

>>8670876
I'm a huge Maria/Rondo fan but Saturn Maria isn't that fun (and I'm saying this after having beaten the game with her). The inputs for attacks are annoying and the glitches and general slowdown/crashing of Saturn is lame and you just end up kinda wishing Maria could gain levels or use items besides the subweapons. Galamoth fight was hell.

Also I've never once been able to correctly do the inputs for her invincibility move.

>> No.8671331
File: 85 KB, 906x462, watercavern.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8671080
The Maria boss fight seems to be semi-repurposed from the transformed "Black Maria" that was intended for a deleted bad ending, but there was supposed to be a fight for the holy glasses too. We know this because an IGA interview in the Dracula X Chronicles Japanese guide says so and explains that all the Japanese voice lines were recorded for the Playstation version. That may partially be why Maria's moveset is so different. Beyond that, there's little to suggest the extra enemies and areas were canned ideas. Even the unused area that leads to the underground garden in the Saturn version was most likely supposed to be another way theough the underground caverns (see pic)
>>8671169
The redub was mostly concerned with rewriting the existing English script more naturally than earnestly retranslating from Japanese. If you want the latter, the Gemini patch is for you. There are a few times where the redub deviates even further, like the intro dialog and Richter finishing Alucard "for good men to do nothing" line in the good ending.
>>8671191
Yeah just Youtube idiocy. Bloody Tears is in the Saturn version. In fact I believe there are two versions of Bloody Tears, two versions of Vampire Killer, and two versions of Beginning added to the normal and reversed caste versions of the new areas plus as alternative castle entrance themes for Richter and Maria, plus and alternate rendition of the Master Librarian theme and a unique boss theme for Maria called GUARDIAN. The is arguable the best part about the Saturn version, tho I've seen some argue that the remixes have no plave in a game that was trying to be unconventional up to that point.

>> No.8671414

>>8671024
Not with the patch it got recently

>> No.8671438

>>8670876
Redditvania: Symphony of the Upvote is overrated hipster trash regardless of which system you play it on. Stick to the far superior original game on NES.

>> No.8671482

>>8671414
Is the patch fully done or its still a wip?

>> No.8671516

>>8670876
It was a rushed port by a b-team that had no idea what they were doing, so it has more slowdown compared to the PS1 version. Also, most of the transparencies have been replaced with standard mesh ones, which wasn't a big deal in the 90s when everyone was using composite cables on a CRT TV but will be brutally obvious if you're the kind of person who runs retro games through a scaler on an HDTV.

The new areas range from mediocre to fairly interesting. The Saturn port has some qol additions (mainly a "third hand" you can equip consumables to do you don't have to unequip and reequip your sword or shield every time you want to drink a potion for example, plus a relic that lets Alucard run).

Honestly its worth playing to see the new areas, try out the exclusive Maria mode, and to be able to play SotN on a console that has a controller with a god tier d-pad instead of the abortion that is the PS1's. With the translation patch its a lot better compared to retail. If you were playing the game for the very first time I'd recommend doing so on one of the modern collections to get a baseline idea of how the game should normally be, and then for your second playthrough go through the Saturn version and enjoy all of the extras.

>> No.8671517

>>8671482
Wip I think, it doesn’t work in conjunction with the translation yet as far as I’m aware but the loading is quicker

>> No.8671678

>>8671516
Would it be a bad thing to play through the Saturn version for a first playthrough?

>> No.8671681
File: 203 KB, 500x647, a82215bfb9e044870e6db5bb596aa234-d4gp5l0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8671013
>The entire reason the game takes so long to load in the Menu is because it's loading in a 700KB Kanji font file. The English patch unintentionally fixed this because they replaced that file with a 30KB ASCII font file. That made the load time for the menu match the PS1 version.
Wow, why do people think this is worth salvaging again?

>> No.8671824

more like shitturnvania

>> No.8671828

>>8671824
Why do you smoothbrains always gotta take subpar ports as a dig against the entire console itself?

>> No.8671865

>>8671828
It's just australia-kun shitposting as usual, trying to force his "shitturn" memeword.

>> No.8672014

>>8671865
>australikun
who?

>> No.8672054
File: 38 KB, 300x300, Skeleton_Leader.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8671331
Cursed Prison has new (boring) music, so the extra Bloody Tears goes to Underground Garden's Skeleton Beamer boss.
The only song I feel sad about being doomed to obscurity is Guardian, it feels like something out of Chrono Cross, the old songs already have better remixes out there.

>> No.8672314

We will never get the ultimate SotN that combines all three versions, cleans them up, and gives us the definitive experience.

>> No.8672334

>>8672314
Officially? yeah, no way. it'll be up to some glorious turbo autist to hook us up.

>> No.8672681
File: 1.13 MB, 1000x1252, 1615014572027.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8672334
all hail glorious turbo autist

>> No.8672813

>>8671678
Not bad, no. Its just that if you wanted to play the PS1 version (either on the console itself or on one of the modern compilations) to see how it performs you'll be moving into a version with less content, which will kinda suck.

Its a fun game though, you should play it on whatever format you can do so on.

>> No.8672876

>>8671678
I recommend playing ps1 version 1st then playing Saturn one with Maria

>> No.8672907

>>8671678
If you're emulating through Beetle Saturn it runs at better than hardware speeds but you'll still have the fudged aspect ratio/sprites and excessive loading screens. Maria mode is nice, but the rest of the additional content (Cursed Prison, Underground Garden save the boss) is honestly nothing special. The ghosts that are immune to physical damage would be a neater idea if they appeared in more than a single stretch of three screens. Like >>8672813 says it's worth it to play through on whatever format you can but don't go out of your way for it with the Saturn version

>> No.8672912

>it's on the Smega Shitturd so it must be a le hidden gem!

>> No.8672926

>>8672876
Honestly this. Just play Saturn for Maria. She's playable from the start anyway. You're not missing much with Alucard's extra equipment.

>> No.8672932

>>8672912
based

>> No.8673143

>>8670876
Don't be a fool.

>While it sounds like the superior game on paper (especially considering the Saturn's general history with 2D games), this port is bogged with performance issues. The load times are more frequent and much longer. There is now slowdown in areas where none had existed in the original version, and some of the rooms were split in two or missing entirely. Rather than maintaining the Saturn's increased resolution, the game was stretched to fit the screen, causing some sprites and graphics to be distorted. Some of the sound and graphical effects were also down-sampled. For example, some enemies have different death animations, and the Game Over sequence uses a fade-through-white transition instead of a screen-melt transition. Transparencies are also non-existent, making certain things like the waterfall and the mist effect look less than spectacular. Because of this, the "Invisible" cloak (also known as the Crystal Cloak) was removed and replaced with the Glaring Cloth (although it shares the same menu icon), which is functionally the same but is bright white rather than see-through. A new mantle was also added that increased defense by seven, called the Rainbow Mantle. Instead of the invisibility effect, it changed colors periodically. Additionally, Richter had an alternate outfit closer to the official artwork that could also be seen while fighting against him, but it still didn't quite match its previous depiction in the two instances it appeared in the original game. Lastly, the Master Librarian no longer sells boss tactics, and map completion data is still made with the PSX version in mind.

>> No.8673173
File: 346 KB, 480x348, 1773386-box_scv4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8670876
Symphony of the Night ruined Castlevania in almost every way.
It make the series into piss easy metroid shit and also traded out the kino masculine artstyles like pic related for Ayami Kojima's prissy baroque art.

>> No.8673181

>>8673173
I really think they should have done a classicvania in an interconnected level
SOTN's problem is really that it's just too easy for a Castlevania game. I think if they just had it be Richter mode but with harder enemies and give Richter less overpowered abilities and modify the level to accomodate, that would be pretty cool

>> No.8673249
File: 138 KB, 850x1105, sample-5ed56d650ed4eb6c2c5c054f1caed2c8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8672314
What would this look like?
>Use PlayStation revision as the base, Gemini retranslation.
>Mournful Serenade from the PSP version is the bad ending theme, original I am the Wind kept for good ending.
>Alucard has the Saturn boss fight with Maria over the holy glasses, with "Guardian" music intact.
>PSP Maria, however, is unlockable as a playable character ala Richter.
>Finale Toccata, which plays in multiple locations in the original game, has repeated instances beyond clock tower reduced by re-adding Saturn music in its place.
>Alucard gets the Godspeed Shoes like the Saturn version.
You could go crazy with added areas and choosing your Maria style but I wanted to keep it somewhat realistic.

>> No.8673413

>>8673249
My idea for the two Marias was a little more involved
>PSP Maria is fought for the Holy Glasses in the first castle
>Saturn Maria is redone as "Dark Maria" in keeping with what was the original plan for her, and fighting her is an optional side-quest in the Reverse Castle
>Both are fully playable in the usual "just for fun" alternate modes

>> No.8673704

>>8671168
the jp voice sounds too human
english actually sounds like a guy who has lived for centuries and is pulling all of his might to give a fuck with every word

>> No.8673713

>>8673249
I Am the Wind should be for every ending because it fits them all.
Final Toccata should play in MORE sections of the castle, because it's actually a really long track and the game doesn't let you hear most of it with the transition screens resetting the music. Let the song continue on the CD screens.

>> No.8674460
File: 833 KB, 1080x778, HolGla.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8673249
Personally, I don't like fighting Maria in this game, at least where it's implemented. Story-wise, it doesn't really make sense. She knows that Alucard's her only ally in the castle, she shouldn't be trying to challenge/kill him, especially knowing he's just as capable as investigating the castle as she is. The room is intended to make the player think "wtf there's gotta be something more to this," which you eventually find out in the inverted castle with the glasses being a hint, but fighting Maria there, you're less inclined to think there's somethimg wrong here (given the background element is involved in Maria's special attack). I know there was SUPPOSED to be a fight there too, but I'm glad the original cut it.
Incidentally, there's something I like the Saturn and PSP versions did involving Richter. Saturn has Richter wear his "lord of the castle" outfit during his boss fight (also playable via cheat code). Even though the sprite itself sucks (it doesn't match the version seen in Maria's thought bubble and the Colosseum), the sentiment is nice. I'd reimplement the "evil" spriteset here and fix it up a bit so it actually matches the artwork like the other sprites. PSP kept Richter and Maria as temp NPCs after entering reverse castle, using unused lines/takes. That's a neat idea. Expand if possible.
>>8673413
>fighting her is an optional side-quest in the Reverse Castle
How would that work exactly? Keep in mind you have to work with the voice clips recorded for the PSX/Saturn version, and Maria should be looking after Richter at this point.
>>8673704
>english actually sounds like a guy who has lived for centuries and is pulling all of his might to give a fuck with every word
He slept all that time though?
>>8673713
>I Am the Wind should be for every ending because it fits them all.
Even the Richter (and Maria) mode ending?
>Final Toccata should play in MORE sections of the castle,
It's in -SIX- sections of the castle you madman.

>> No.8674504

>>8674460
It wouldn't even be noticeable if it didn't constantly restart from the beginning. One loop is 5 minutes long, and I'm pretty sure even entering a save room resets it.

>> No.8674548
File: 105 KB, 540x540, ma10.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8673413
I'd just merge the playable Marias into one cohesive whole. Saturn Maria feels grown-up and for the most part matches her original PlayStatiin/NPC sprites, but her animation is too stiff (that walk cycle is worse than the doll enemy!) and she feels like an entirely different character from her Rondo counterpart (almost like the Saturn devs didn't play Rondo). PSP Maria is more in line with what you think of Maria and has great animation, but her design is a bit out of place (check out the overall brightened palette and magical-girl hair she has as her idle) and doesn't really seem like the mysterious badass that was always one step ahead of Alucard (basically her emotional connection to Richter is the only reason she doesn't confront and get past him herself). Combine the best parts of these two and you'll have an adult Maria that finally makes sense.

>> No.8674702

>>8674460
>How would that work exactly?
Dark Maria is made a separate being from the original. Can either say she's one of Shaft's creations or just have no plot reason at all like Galamoth.

>> No.8674951
File: 316 KB, 937x1393, alsoalignmentsystemetc.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Devs cut a lot of ideas (see pic for a snip) worth repurposing. Stuff like vase flowers seem simple enough, but Alucard's room is too complicated to restore as is. If you guys aren't keen on bringing back Saturn areas (map percentage / item progression is imbalanced as >>8673143 says, and >>8671331 says "garden" was most likely an alternate underground passage, plus IGA's right that they frankly weren't good), you simply MUST do something about trapdoor. I propose:
>New area: SECRET CELLAR. A single room managed by the previously-deleted SKELETON CARPENTER. As a skeletal being, he's silent (maybe "talks" in ellipses), so no voicework conflict. Opens after game is beaten as postgame reward. BGM is Saturn Librarian. (If glitched here before game is beaten, carpenter silently renovates the room, and you can tell it used to be a save room as an easter egg.)
>Inspired by PoR's underground boss dungeon, the carpenter offers a new option: BOSS RUSH. Refight from Richter's Dracula (now possible to lose) to Alucard's Dracula.
>New bonus boss exclusive to the boss rush: MARIA, who is not a main game boss. Like Richter, she is fought in two phases: 1st phase similar to PSP, 2nd phase similar to Saturn. BGM is "GUARDIAN".
>Reward for completing boss rush: SOUND ASSIGN option from The Dracula X Chronicles, available for future Alucard, Richter or Maria playthroughs. This replaces Master Librarian's English-version sound test (which itself replaced Japanese interviews) and contains every track in the game for you to personalize, including Saturn level tracks.
>Cellar's inverted version is also open postgame and contains a new item: ALUCARD SPEAR. This was sorely missing from Symphony and is reimagined from the Saturn interpretation. Among the features making it a viable endgame weapon, it enables the deleted DARKNESS EDGE with Sword familiar.
>>8673249
>Godspeed
I'd go further and bundle it with an upgrade relic for the Wing Smash that makes it act like continuous Saturn version.

>> No.8675184

>Konami's Genesis library
>Practically all exclusives, with only a couple of arcade ports.

>Konami's Saturn library
>Multiplats, ports and PlayStation scraps

What went wrong?

>> No.8675886
File: 1.96 MB, 3330x1842, kink.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8674951
Crazy theory: Since Saturn porters were privvy to original PSX assets but misses the point (Maria moveset, underground "cavern"...) could Skeleton Carpenters's design be based on >>8672054?
I think boss rush availability should be tied to getting the best ending in particular. Reason being if you just got the normal good end, you might've missed Galamoth and so you fought bosses you might not've fought yet normally.
A boss rush would also prevent the Mudman enemy from being permamissed in the bestiary (I think you can also accidentally skip Richter's entry if you neglect to his him before breaking the Shaft ball). This is also my problem with including bad-ending Maria, who wouldnt be in the bestiary normally. This would be a good compromise.
Also,
>Play boss rush
>No major twists so far, player beats Shaft
>Unexpectedly his orbs's shards linger on-screen and take the form of Maria, making the player go omfwtg.gif
>Fake Maria is the surprise penultimates boss rush boss, between Shaft & Dracula.
kino

>> No.8677492
File: 549 KB, 945x790, Richter_HOD.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8672314
I like where this discussion is going, but one thing I'd like to see that's not in any current version is updated portraits of Rondo Richter and Rondo Dracula. It bothered me so much that Dracula's intro sprite doesn't match his portrait and final form seen later in the game and Richter actually wears his headband most of the game. There's workable Kojima artwork of classic Richter too and she's still be commissioned for art on occasion so there's not much of an excuse to not work this in a newer re-release.
>>8673249
>Gemini retranslation
Honestly yeah, thanks to the dub shenanigans this is the best option, though a few names can be tweaked to their common localization (Ralph C. -> Trevor, Val Manwë -> Valmanway etc.)
>>8674951
>Boss Rush
I hope this hypothetical would be available to Maria and Richter too. No reason not to, as unlike the librarian it doesn't sound like he's selling anything. Heck you can maybe move the librarian's interview extra here, and add a few more options like fighting an individual boss for practice, disabling access to pause menu, difficulty toggle, maybe other bonuses etc.
>>8675886
>fake Maria
Call her Guardian

>> No.8677494

>>8670876
fully evolved maria is the most powerful force in the CV universe

>> No.8677496

>>8670876
also iirc some autists patched this version

>> No.8677529
File: 36 KB, 176x200, alucard-walk-cycle-1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>not a single post about the autismotastic fix effort going on for saturn symphony of the night
https://segaxtreme.net/resources/dracula-x-symphony-of-the-night.83/

>> No.8677530

>>8677496
what they've done so far sounds like a fluke >>8671013 there's only so much one can do

>> No.8677537

>>8677530
>>8677530
saturn architecture is hard an shieeet
props to them for even trying desu

>> No.8677585

>>8674951
>I'd go further and bundle it with an upgrade relic for the Wing Smash that makes it act like continuous Saturn version.
This would actually fix one of the biggest mysteries of the game: if there's a Power of Mist and Power of Wolf, where's the Power of Bat?!

>> No.8677620

>>8677530
There are intents to fix certain things, it just so happens that the menu loading was an easy fix that came about by just doing the translation. There's no need to throw in the 4MB RAM cart like some people think.

The slowdown issues are also being looked into. Basically the game is doing a ton of unnecessary stuff during VBlank and it's very inefficient. So it's possible to fix it and improve it.

Again, contrary to the Chinese dev who did the 4MB patch, the slowdown is NOT due to decompression going on with the sprites. This is again why the 4MB patch didn't really improve anything performance wise even though they now had all the sprites uncompressed in RAM.

Other things like Transparencies and everything being stretched though are a lot more difficult to fix. You can't just replace all mesh commands with the VDP1 transparency command as that will have some really broken behaviors as we already saw when some devs attempted that.

>> No.8677623
File: 40 KB, 300x300, Skeleton_Breeder_-_01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8675886
I'm gonna go on a limb and say this guy was the carpenter (or possibly the candlelighter, if he got far enough in development to get a set of graphics). The shield thing LOOKS like it was hastily edited on it, and it's not as janky-looking as the boss guy. Plus you can easily imagine the orange hair/hood might've been a construction helmet of some kind. This is just a complete shot in the dark though, that could be wrong or the carpenter wasn't retooled into any Saturn design.

>> No.8678550

>>8673173
>>8672314
>>8673249
The hard type patch makes SOTN play more like a classicvania, you actually have to learn the "levels"/rooms to survive until the next save. Some of the follow-up games had a built in hard mode but it was absurdly hidden behind completion or cheat codes.

Was the Rondo director the true genius behind these 2 games?

>> No.8678556

>>8677623
post skellie animation

>> No.8678598

>>8678550
>MEME SOULS LIKE PATCH

No, it ruins the game by making it even worse the Order of Eclessia and the gijillion 2d hollow knight copycats.

>> No.8678610

>>8670876
You must really like playing in slow motion

>> No.8678642

KindAndFair is the only SotN patch worth using.

>> No.8678650

>>8677623
post skellie animation

>> No.8678761

>>8670876
More tainted content means worse game

>> No.8681148

>>8678598
If you give it a chance, you'd see the difficulty ends up normal because of the levelling. You didn't cover the real downside, that features were completely removed because they were unable to be balanced.

>> No.8681162

>>8670876
They are. The drop in quality and polish is persistent throughout. It runs in constant LOOKIN GOOD mode with uneven pixels. It is worth a look just for the differences and new shit, though. Even the jank has some charm.

>> No.8681182

>>8671438
>breathing, food, sex, recreation, sleep; all fuckin REDDIT dude
>heh, I AM the internet underground
Grow up, faggot.

>> No.8681196

>>8675184
The Saturn.

>> No.8683395
File: 546 KB, 1080x785, nosavingdathorsetho.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8674548
This. I actually do not like the look of PSP/PS4 Maria at all, it clashes too much with the rest of the game, though Saturn Maria isn't perfect either and has weird internal consistencies. Anyone ever notice that she phases out of existence for a few frames right when her boss battle starts? That's the game switching between her NPC and playable/boss spritesets. I think there was an unfortunate combination of a) Iga loathing the Saturn version / Konami Nagoya maybe a BIT too much, b) Iga being bombarded with requests to salvage some of the Saturn content, c) focus primarily being on the Rondo of Blood 3D remake with the unlockable ports being very secondary, and d) Konami being stingy with resouces leading to extremely few remaining/available pixel artists willing and able to redo Maria.
Weirdly enough, I don't think Maria was ever intended to be playable in SotN. All accounts suggest she was just supposed to be a boss idea. That's probably why there's such a hard time narrowing down how she's supposed to feel as an adult. If Iga was a little less stubborn about the Saturn content, he should've recognized that her Saturn sprites at least resemble the aethetics of her PlayStation sprites and used them as a base to have them heavily reworked

>> No.8684870

>>8670905
>Can the Saturn really not handle fast map loading or some shit? I mean it has one less button sure but did SOTN even use all the buttons?
It did use all the PS1 buttons, but once again it was an issue of different consoles having wildly different hardware/architecture/development tools and developers not being able to port a game across so easily since it meant essentially remaking the whole game from scratch. Console power was just a small factor when it came to porting games back then, it's not like now where the PS5 and Xbox Series X are practically the exact the same thing, just from different brands and with slightly different hardware.

>> No.8684950

>>8684870
Ok then that just means it's a horrible port job. One of the first things I would be thinking of when porting SOTN is, how do I get the map to appear as fast as the PS1 version. Because if you've actually played the game, which because of this I doubt the developers did, it's immediately apparent how important that it is to be able to instantly check the map. I wouldn't even touch any extra areas or characters until that basic thing was figured out.

>> No.8685163

>>8683395
I'm so disappoint that child Maria is the one that endured, adult Maria at least looks a bit more like she belongs in a gothic setting.
>>8684950
It's surprisingly common, especially at the time, that "extra content" was really a tradeoff incentive for a port's quality compared to the original.

>> No.8686397

>>8672681
I saw someone a while back sharing a theoretical wip map that had a ton more hypothetical areas, sadly I did not save it but I'm not sure it was a serious project either.

>> No.8686404

>>8671516
>the kind of person who runs retro games through a scaler on an HDTV
Those "people" get what they deserve

>> No.8686804
File: 108 KB, 1159x1448, 1625099638392.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Can someone please post a link to the latest release of the translated/patched version?

>> No.8686842

>>8671681
>Wow, why do people think this is worth salvaging again?
Because the sega community is full of autismos.

porting the saturn extras to psx would be a far more interesting project. did anyone ever done that?

>> No.8686846

>>8670905
None of the midwits at Konami Nagoya could handle the hardware. Yu Suzuki was right when he said that only 1 in 100 programmers are good enough to get proper speed out of the hardware. A great system and a great midwit dev filter.

>> No.8686857
File: 35 KB, 576x432, 1638728409400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8671681
Because we care and we bring the necessary skills - unlike you who only consumes and shit talks on a Mongolian basket weaving forum.

>> No.8686867

>>8685163
people still have the "more content = better version no matter what" mindset
neanderthals

>> No.8686870

>>8686867
shut up nerd

>> No.8687209

>>8686842
I wish, imagine if we had a true definitive edition with all the content from the Saturn version + PSP Maria + PS1 dub

>> No.8687226

>>8687209
Yes, I'm sure the 3 people caring will do cartwheels for weeks

>> No.8687527

Link to patched version please

>> No.8688145

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRAbUE1wSg4

i just discovered that the english version of the fairy's song added to psp is actually really good

>> No.8688331

>>8674548
I can't stand the new voices in the PSP version so I honestly haven't had much exposure to PSP Maria. Holy shit she's just as stacked as Rondo Maria is

>> No.8688901

>>8670876
Link to patched version please

>> No.8690353

>>8670876
>can't be enough to make it not the best version right?
Yes it was an horrible port job.
Can't wait for M2 to make the best of both worlds version which is coming in 20never

>> No.8690457

>>8670876

Does anybody have an eboot of Kindandfair?

>> No.8690479

There is a hack online which uses the 4mb card. Best version of sotn

>> No.8690490

>>8690479
what's it called

>> No.8690740

>>8690479
>>8690490
The Chinese 4MB RAM cart hack is mostly placebo. The only thing it fixes is the load times of the menu, which the translation patch also fixed without the RAM cart.

>> No.8690806

>>8690740
I think he’s talking about the Russian one by meduza? Or something like that

>> No.8691649
File: 109 KB, 659x588, 1646629980811.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Rondo Maria
>strong willed, proactive shoujo heroine
>child prodigy who can nearly fight equal to a Belmont in his prime
>the strongest witch since Sypha, most prolific familiar user in history with the four celestial beasts
>oppai loli, huge boobs for huge mana
SotN Maria
>washed up has been
>needs Alucard to do everything for her and wants his dick
>has to learn kung fu to make up for the fact that her magic is weak shit now
>breasts actually shrank since she was a child
What the FUCK happened? Was Shaft secretly stealing her power over the years?

>> No.8691653

>>8691649
Her magic is way stronger in PSP SOTN

>> No.8691701

>>8691649
reposta pasta is pasta

>> No.8691736
File: 270 KB, 306x500, mariarenard.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8691649
>breasts actually shrank since she was a child

thats not true.

>> No.8693074

>>8691649
The only reason Maria has that power is because Shaft was trying to turn her into an anti-Belmont weapon. The unused SotN ending implies that Shaft retakes control of her after Richter dies and Alucard has to kill her too.

>>8691653
Pretty sure you mean Saturn SotN, because PSP Maria isn't much stronger than she was in Rondo.

>> No.8695139
File: 113 KB, 629x809, drive-main[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8686804

In case you ever come back:

movietitle google com/ movietitle / folders /

1SyaLQFa4XBMyfaUw94YMPTr6bHPu8sQd

>> No.8695453

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEHgdGw1WjU

not giving a fuck

with my partner watch his video

>> No.8695508

>>8695453