[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 949 KB, 640x915, 0ia84jqrhnj51.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7884117 No.7884117 [Reply] [Original]

The subject I guess says it all.

I was interested in an XBOX back in 2018 because I heard it had a lot of good games not on PlayStation 2 (PS2 was the only console I had until getting an Xbox, besides a Nintendo DS I replaced my GBA with but some people don't count handhelds as consoles so idk)

But the Xbox has tons of interesting games not on PlayStation 2 or GameCube or anything. Riddick, Brute Force, Star Wars Republic Commando, Mechassault and of course Halo. Halo was my main reason for getting one. And it was worth it I adore Combat Evolution. One of my all-time favorite video games. I couldn't help but get the next one, Halo 2. To say the least, it's incredible. More guns than the first Halo game, you can hold 2 guns at once and use them simultaneously, you play as a Covenant Elite in some chapters and it has a universe-building story that allowed Halo to have more lore like books and such.

>>Ron Perlman: "Master Chief, mind telling me what you're doing on that ship?"
>>John 117: "Sir, finishing this fight."

The game ended before I knew it. Made me waste money on an Xbox 360 the following year just to play more Halo games. I know 360 isn't retro but I'll say, I don't like it. Piece of shit console. Can't do much with it. Unimpressive. I had to waste money on a shit console just to continue the Halo story. I wish there were at least a couple more Halo games on the first XBOX. Like, have a third game that continues off from Halo 2's ending, and one spin off of some sort. It'd have made sense if there were more Halo games on the first Xbox, it was the main attraction of the console. I mean, there's a dozen Star Wars games on the XBOX and a bazillion Tom Clancy games so why the hell not more Halo games?

Better yet Microsoft should've waited a few years to release the Xbox 360. I'd have given the original Xbox more time because it's a damn good console. Shouldn't be replaced so soon, let alone with a shitty console like the 360.
Call this coping idgaf

>> No.7884147

>>7884117
>It'd have made sense if there were more Halo games on the first Xbox
It really doesn’t make sense seeing as the Xbox 360 launched in fall 2005, effectively ending the OG Xbox’s lifespan. Of course the next Halo game was going to be on the newer console.

>> No.7884157

>>7884117
MS and Sony should have both waited a few years to release the next gen. But MS wanted to get the jump on Sony and release first, then Sony didn't want MS having too big a head start so they released early too. Big fucking mess for both of them.

>> No.7884164

>>7884157
I think that decision ultimately panned out for Microsoft, RROD aside. They consistently improved Xbox Live while Sony was playing catch-up with their online network and features.

>> No.7884178

>>7884157
Sure, the PlayStation 3 might not have been great at first, being insanely expensive initially, and not having any notable games among it's launch, but it makes an excellent media center as you can play not only DVDs but also Blu Rays, can watch videos of multiple file types from a USB and even copy them to it's hard drive. And nowadays it's incredible because of the jailbreak scene. There's a Sega Genesis emulator for it you can rewind with, which is a unique feature, haven't seen rewinding being an option on too many emulators for anything really. And the GBA emulator is flawless.
Also with a jailbroken PS3 you can have DVD and Blu-ray ISO images on it's hard drive too, which is wack too. The PlayStation 3 aged like fine wine while the Xbox 360 aged like milk.

>> No.7884192

>>7884117
It is kinda crazy how much higher quality many aspects of the OGXbox Halo games are. Best movement animations, best voice acting, best vehicle controls, best alien designs, best sound effects, most cohesive art style, best music, best AI, etc. I don't know why the Assault rifle has to both look and sound like a wet fart in the sequels. Why do enemy projectiles get to curve but your can't? Why does the banshee control like complete garbage now? Why do grenades suddenly fly in retarded unnatural arcs? How do they get so many things right in the first 4 years before blowing it all so hard? Well they made a shitload of money so I guess nobody else cares.

>> No.7884542

>>7884178
I'm amazed how well the PS3 holds up as a media device even today. In some ways it's actually better than the PS4. Booting up the 360 today feels like a toy in comparison. Except for the controller.

>> No.7884828

>>7884542
Well, the official 360 controllers ran on AA batteries while official PS3 controllers had charged batteries.
Also, the PS4 seems like a pointless console. I never owned any 8th gen consoles but I have thought about getting them later when they're not supported anymore and I can get them for less than $100 at Pawn Shops or something. Most of the PS4 games don't sound interesting to me if I'm being honest and I heard PS4 isn't backwards compatible which fucking sucks balls. If anything I might get a Switch despite not being a fan of Nintendo, to jailbreak it for it's GZDoom port so I have a console to play Doom Wads/Dehs on.

>> No.7884843

>>7884542
besides not being able to play mkvs, the ps3's media play is leagues better than the ps4's, which felt like an afterthough. my dork friends and i spent literal hours laughing with the slow motion feature in various movies and shows. plus, the globe visualization when you listen to music. it was perfect.

>> No.7884890

>>7884828
>>7884843
XMB is easily Sony’s best UI of all time. The PS4 is laggy as fuck, even on a Pro.

>> No.7884969

>>7884843
I could be incorrect; I don't know for sure but can't mkv videos be played on Movian? (media player for softmodded PS3s)

>> No.7886194

>>7884117
this isn't retro you fuckhead