[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 100 KB, 679x679, Suikoden_II_Cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7860163 No.7860163 [Reply] [Original]

I don't know anything about Suikoden, why is 2 several orders of magnitude more famous than any other game in the series?

>> No.7860308

Played through the whole series last year. Huge JRPG buff but I missed these somehow growing up.

Suikoden 2 pretty much builds off the foundations of 1 and polishes it to a sheen. If you’ve played 1, 2 feels so great in comparison. Its much smoother, has a lot of QoL adjustments, etc.

But for me the story was such an improvement I was blown away. Suikoden 1s story is solid, but 2s is deeply engrossing, exciting, has amazing villains, etc. I really felt it was one of the peaks of the JRPG genre.

3 is kind of weird in comparison, but i know some who really like it, 4 blows, and 5 is a bit of a return to form but doesnt really hit 2’s highs imo.

Basically 2 is like a top tier JRPG in a solid series overall IMO

>> No.7860569

It is overhyped because it was a "hidden rare gem". It is good, but the story falls really badly after a certain event. The good ending is also bad.

I think you'll miss alot of it's great parts if you haven't played 1 first.

>> No.7861006

>>7860163
Best RPG ever.

>> No.7863561

>>7860163
>why is 2 several orders of magnitude more famous than any other game in the series?
Simply because people see 2 in some top ten PSX/JRPG list and only play 2. Not even shitting on the game or saying everyone who likes 2 only played 2, it did a lot of polishing over the rough as fuck first game and is a very solid game which is why it lands in those top spots on lists in the first place.

>> No.7863901

>>7860163
Based af game.

>> No.7863951

>>7860163
It's not several orders of magnitude better than the other games in the series. Even the oft maligned 4 (though 4 needs to be played with Tactics to get everything, they go together) is not orders of magnitude worse. 3 is actually my favorite.
The whole series is very good though. It's my favorite series. It's strangely subtle for a JRPG in a lot of ways. Often in ways that are not obvious. It's very human, as the stakes tend to not get too high. You're never dealing with anything other than national or border skirmishes. It has a lot of characters. If you like characters the series is excellent. Great music. The castle mechanic is one of the more satisfying mechanics in all of video games I think. Some of the best world building I've seen in a game. It does one thing I love, which is it alludes to things happening elsewhere in the world. You never learn about them more, they just get name dropped. Things are happening elsewhere, folks talk about it, but it doesn't much concern you. That goes a long way. There's even a big empire referenced consistently through the entire series, Harmonia, that is seemingly the Rome of their world. You never go there. Your country is at war and dealing with that is enough.

Sorry, I'm drunk. Play the series though. Start with 1, which is still a magical game if you give it a chance. It's also short, my last playthrough took me 18 hours to 100%, which is an underappreciated quality these days. The worst game is better than many JRPGs and it's special. I've always wanted to really sit and do a write-up on it that has some value, but I hope my drunk rant here helps you a bit OP.

>> No.7866125
File: 151 KB, 244x358, 1623797189190.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]