[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 27 KB, 265x375, Shining_Force.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7860079 No.7860079 [Reply] [Original]

I've been looking to get into the shining series for a while and would like your opinions on the series.

>> No.7860310

>>7860079
if you like dragon quest like rpgs Shining in the Darkness and Shining the Holy Ark are both decent.

As for Tactical rpg it is pretty much about the genesis games. Remake on the GBA is good too.

Gamegear games were remade for the CD so play them, only Final COnflict was not remade, play it after you played the CD ones.

But they are not as good as the genesis ones.

>> No.7861435

>>7860079

I played the first one as an adult (I didn't have Sega stuff as a kid) and liked it. Then I played the second one and wasn't entirely keen on its "more of the same, but bigger" style, but I liked it well enough anyway, because it is a good game. That is all I know. Play those, then?

>> No.7861514

>>7860079
i liked the first one better, but most people seem to say shining force 2 is better. didn't play any after that.

>> No.7861538

Shining Force CD

>> No.7861550

>>7860079
Most of the shining series is good up to the GBA

>> No.7861556

>>7860079
SF2 is prolly the best
tho i never played the translated saturn ones

all the genesis ones are cool imo
shining in the darkness is a totally different kind of CRPG 1st person dungoen crawler, and can be a bit grindy. but its still a really unique game for the genesis which wasnt known for its RPGs
SF 1+2 are, imo, the pinnacle of SRPGs
unlike fire emblem, it tells its story via playable overworld sections.
where FE will plotdump boring cutscenes for 30mins in between each stage, SF forgoes this and instead lets you play the story sections, allowing you to walk around and talk to people and find items and whatnot. much more satisfying way to do that imo, compared to mashing through some boring text for 15mins

but the big sell in favor of SF is how snappy the combat feels compared to its contemporaries
SF battles are str8 blast-processing tier
even with battle animations which are pretty cool imo, it ends up being like twice as fast as FE fights with no animations
and no perma-death/constant resetting to worry about
some might think this casualizes the games a bit, but imo it just makes them a million times more fun to play

just start with SF1 then play SF2, and if you want a non-SRPG play SitD