[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 31 KB, 256x351, FF1_USA_boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7851426 No.7851426 [Reply] [Original]

About to start FF1 on the NES for the first time, anything important I should know first?

>> No.7851430

some of the spells dont work

>> No.7851436

>>7851426
Use a cottage/house and save outside of the Marsh Cave and Ice Cave. The Ice Cave filters scrubs hard. Also, have LOTS of antidotes before going into the Marsh Cave. Twenty or more to be safe.

>> No.7851439

Bring at least 1 fighter.

>> No.7851628

>>7851426

It's a JRPG. You probably already know that, so don't read anything more in this thread. Nobody will say the most important things anyway; they'll mainly natter on about fine details of party composition and about how INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT it is for you to know that there are bugs in the game (even though people playing on real hardware back in the day generally didn't know that and neither noticed it nor suffered from it).

I'm not going to say the most important things either, because that'd be a spoiler. Just play the game, it's not like it's difficult. Talk to everybody in towns if you get stuck, blah blah blah whatever it's a JRPG. Stop reading this thread that you shouldn't have made in the first place. The game is perfectly accessible on its own.

(Here's one thing that isn't important that you should know: If you press A and B at the same time 55 times in a row while sitting on a sea tile, which you will at some point be able to do, an easter egg will arise! It's kinda neat. But it isn't important. You shouldn't have read this.)

>> No.7851634

>>7851426
Be mindful of resistances
Ice Armor/Shield resists fire
Fire Armor/Shield resists ice

>> No.7851635

Get a patched ROM that has all the bugs fixed.

>> No.7851653

You should know that A is accept and B is cancel

>> No.7851705

Play it on an emulator and bind fast forward to your controller.

>> No.7851758

Read up on the spells that don't work
Read the manual, it even has a walkthrough for the first 50% of the game: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/clv/manuals/en/pdf/CLV-P-NABJE.pdf
Talk to everyone in towns and take notes for clues and hints for future events.

>> No.7851861

>>7851426
Yeah, don't always dogpile on a single enemy because when enemies get killed, if you still have some dudes lined up to hit them, they'll just swing at the empty spot and waste their turn.

>> No.7851967

>>7851430
Ah yes, typical black magic

>> No.7852023

>>7851967
Kek

>> No.7852024

optimal party is four thieves

>>7851635
dont be this much of a fag

>> No.7852058

Thief is nerfed until he becomes a Ninja, but that's fairly late in the game. you always need at least 1 Fighter, and 1 White Mage is strongly recommended, as she's very situationally useful. the Red Mage is a jack of all trades, master of none. he starts out strong, then plateaus later on; I usually have him use spell-casting items in late-game. Black Mage is cool but a glass cannon, Black Belt is also a good artillery piece, though he takes awhile to get strong. you should always unequip the Black Belt by level 10 or so.
Ideally you should have a party with one of each type for better balance. 2 Fighters is OP for example, that should only be used for steamrolling the game (preferably with a Black Belt and Red/White Mage). the best party in my experience is Fighter/Redmage/Blackbelt/Whitemage, but other combos are good too, such as the magic-user party (Fighter/Redmage/Whitemage/Blackmage) as one example.

>> No.7852190

>>7852024
don't be such a fucking idiot.
FF1 is a horrendously broken game, and some critical gameplay bugs even made it to the later ports.

Elemental bonuses on weapons don't work.
Thief class ability use on running doesn't work.
Blackbelt gains wrong amount of magic defense per level gain.
Magic defense stat itself exists, but doesn't display at all.
Multiple debuff spells like LOCK don't actually do what they're supposed to, or make things worse (by buffing the enemy)
Some enemies that are supposed to cast spells never do.
Enemies that are supposed to cast enemy-buffing spells fail to target themselves.
Enemies have a hidden morale stat that figures when they're supposed to flee from a strong player party; the check is not only too difficult to fail and cause a run, but points to the wrong part of code too. (double broken)

>> No.7852196

>>7851426
If you're emulating, get the fixes. Get a shitload of potions. Fighters are great. A lot of chests are dogshit until later on. Prepare to get your grind on.

>> No.7852218

>>7852190
Did Nasir never have his coding tested?
How hard would it have been to compile the game's code and run it on some carts with testers handy, to suss out the bugs. It'd take a couple weeks of playing and debugging to fix that kinda shit.

>> No.7852241

>>7852218
He didn't even know what he was doing, he had no knowledge of DnD/RPGs. Plus the language barrier was an issue

>"The core FF project team was completed when Square's president hired Nasir Gebelli, an Iranian-American programmer who had achieved computer-nerd fame in the early '80s with the 3D shooters and other games he created for the Apple II computer. "I was a huge fan of his," Sakaguchi said. "When the president bought him into the company, I was all 'Wow, it's Nasir, let me have your autograph!' It was the first time he had programmed anything like an RPG, though, so it was tough. I had to explain basically everything about how an RPG worked before we could begin. I'd say 'The character's hit points go down at this point' and he'd reply 'What're hit points? If he's hit, why doesn't he just fall down?' After a certain point, I gave up explaining everything to him and just said 'Don't worry about it, just code it!'

>> No.7852246

>>7852241
https://www.webcitation.org/6gLNbLUfI?url=http://www.1up.com/news/hironobu-sakaguchi-final-fantasy-roller-coaster

>> No.7852248

>>7852241
>and he'd reply 'What're hit points? If he's hit, why doesn't he just fall down?'
I mean....
Fuckin mullah has a point.

>> No.7852276

>>7851426
Do something better with your time on earth.

>> No.7852335

Play it for 5 hours, consume the soul.
Then switch to the PSP version to cut out all the outdated annoyance bullshit.

For the record Dragon Quest holds up just fine today, but FFI is just too annoying.

>> No.7852389

>>7852241

None of that has anything to do with the bugs. If he controlled the code then there shouldn't have been anything in it that he hadn't already modeled in his mind. His model should have been consistent and it should have been correctly represented by the code, regardless of whether or not it matched what these Japanese RPG fans expected or wanted.

Fortunately, this person >>7852190 is a tunnel-vision'd fool who is completely wrong. There are no critical bugs in the game at all. The bugs are stupid and embarrassing and it seems likely that fixing them would improve the game a bit... but they're not even remotely close to being critical. The game is a numbers-go-up-while-pretty-pictures-and-sounds-go-by experience. It functions almost perfectly in that respect, with or without these bugs. Anybody who has actually played it and who has any sense can see this. Nobody in history has ever given a crap about LOCK. But every thread, every single one, about the game on this board is marred by people's dopey insistence on roleplaying as people who care about LOCK. In reality, the number of people who have ever even cast LOCK, let alone noticed that it was broken, let alone CARED that it was broken, is approximately the same as the number of people who have played Toki: zero.

>> No.7852426

>>7851967
Holy shit it's been a while since I've laughed like this.

>> No.7852454

>>7852426
it took me a minute to get that one, that was pretty good.

>> No.7852690
File: 369 KB, 320x324, 1622971755075.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7851967
nice

>> No.7852695

>>7851426
Characters don't change their targets when monsters die, so spread out your attacks

>> No.7852802

Why not play the remakes with the much needed quality of life improvements?

>> No.7852850

>>7851426
Optimal Party:

>Warrior
Good all around and best defense, can use most good weapons.
>Black Belt
Sucks starting out but has strongest attack power in the second half of the game, will oneshot many tougher enemies at high levels.
>Red Mage
Good all-around class and decent healer.
>Black Mage
Good crowd control with offensive spells and buffs.

As for the other classes:

>White Mage
Better healer than Red Mage, but very few defensive options until the end game, will be a sitting duck in most boss fights and you'll have a bad time if they die.
>Thief
Poor man's Warrior with very little utility outside a couple of decent exclusive weapons and being able to run from battles easier if you're a pussy (and you'll need all the experience points you can get so I wouldn't advise it).

>> No.7852867 [DELETED] 

>>7852802
the remakes have soulless renditions of the OST.

>>7852850
I respectfully disagree, it's better to put Red Mage in 2nd slot and Black Belt in 3rd, since the latter has fragile defense. for reference, the chance of each character being hit is as follows:
1. 50%
2. 25%
3. 12.5%
4. 12.5%
which is why you need a fighter tank in the first row.
Black Mage is cool, but I prefer White Mage for her healing and especially HARM against undead. she can also contribute a little more to melee with her hammer. besides, Red Mage has better coverage of black magic than white.

>> No.7852871

>>7852802
the remakes have soulless renditions of the OST.

>>7852850
I respectfully disagree, it's better to put Red Mage in 2nd slot and Black Belt in 3rd, since the latter has fragile defense. for reference, the chance of each character being targeted is as follows:
1. 50%
2. 25%
3. 12.5%
4. 12.5%
which is why you need a fighter tank in the first row.
Black Mage is cool, but I prefer White Mage for her healing and especially HARM against undead. she can also contribute a little more to melee with her hammer. besides, Red Mage has better coverage of black magic than white.

>> No.7852901

>>7852871
Wasn't aware of the target chances being dependent on the slot, that makes sense. And I could see some people preferring White Mage over Black Mage, but Thief is pretty much useless unless you want to swap the Warrior out for him to make the game more challenging.

>> No.7852903

>>7851426

>> No.7853196

My advice: don't commit to completing, it's a buggy, slow mess with some nasty encounter rates. It has some fun bits, and great music, but ultimately it shows its age too much for me to reccomend completing it on the NES. I think the GBA port is good. But if you want a good NES Final Fantasy, go with a translated FF3. It's got the same aesthetic, but plays as well as a SNES game. Story, for the time, is very good, and there are even a lot of fun options for party composition that makes it more replayable. Also: you get a huge freakin' airship.

>> No.7853261

>>7851426
Just don't pick the Thief. Everything else you can find out without much punishment by just playing it. This thread seems to have a lot of autism in it, don't take what others are saying too seriously

>> No.7853316

>>7851426
know the bugs
know what works and what doesn't
play it through and beat the game
smile knowing u didn't get filtered and resort to playing more modern versions

>> No.7854098

>>7851426
on the NES version, if you make everyone attack the same guy but then the guy dies, the rest of your team's turns get wasted instead of auto-targetting the next enemy like in every other RPG ever (only in the nes version tho)

I think projared made an argument about this being a cool feature but I think it's just frustrating. Still comfy af/10 game tho

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUc_t3i4qwE

>> No.7854115

>didn't know what RPGs are
Had he never heard of Ultima?

>> No.7854118

>>7851967
Don't need to work when we live rent-free in 4channer's minds

>> No.7854127

>>7852389
Also please remember that software development tools were primitive back then and you couldn't step through code in FCEUX to make sure everything was working correctly.

>> No.7854243

>>7852190
>critical gameplay bugs
>lists a whole serving of nothingbugers

>> No.7854418

>>7851628
>(Here's one thing that isn't important that you should know: If you press A and B at the same time 55 times in a row while sitting on a sea tile, which you will at some point be able to do, an easter egg will arise! It's kinda neat. But it isn't important. You shouldn't have read this.)
neat

>> No.7854889

>>7854098
It's a fine feature in a game with fewer battles, but annoying in games with frequent easy battles
Though instead of saying something disappointing like "Ineffective" it should say "OVERKILL!" and the corpse explodes

>> No.7854895

>>7851426
2 Fighters, a red mage, and a black mage are a great balanced first-timer party
Items are more useful in this for general healing than magic, use them and stock up somewhat on them
don't use thieves or blackbelts