[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 42 KB, 1028x685, Wooden-WASD-Keycaps-Profile.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6976810 No.6976810 [Reply] [Original]

I know this is weird considering most people seem to vie for it being more comfortable, natural, easier, etc. to deal with but, who else here has never really been able to adapt to the WASD or similar standards cause they grew up using arrow keys for game movement?

The worst was I can't remember what the game was at the moment but one time I purchased a game I used to play off of either GOG or Steam and the rerelease remapped the movement keys to WASD. Even worse it was one of those games where you were stuck with the controls and couldn't remap it in settings to your own preferences. Pissed me the fuck off, immediately removed the game from my library and got a refund. People are entitled to prefer WASD over arrow keys but, I hate that the entitlement has made it so re-releases of older games give in to the WASD instead of just keeping the arrow key based movements.

>> No.6976868

>>6976810
I threw away my NES when none of the paddles actually turned

>> No.6977009

What kind of game genre was it?
To me WASD movement makes sense for FPSes if you're right handed, since you can then use the mouse for precise aim. But for 2D games left handed movement feels awkward.

>> No.6977208

>>6976810
different genres require different controls and frankly you are supposed to adjust without a problem
keyboard only 2d game? arrows
skyrim? wasd
i can understand being somewhat jarred if you suddenly switch from one to the other after playing several hours, but honestly you should easily be able to enjoy both equally and readjust to what you need in a matter of seconds
i never had this problem honestly, i never remapped the controls of any game and always learn its default layout

>> No.6977219
File: 61 KB, 1280x720, left handed movement.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6976810
>cause they grew up using arrow keys for game movement?
I don't have brain problems, so I never had any problems seamlessly swapping between both. If the game doesn't use a mouse, arrow keys are fine. Think Gothic/Gothic 2. If the game uses a mouse, cramming your left hand all the way to the right of your keyboard is ergonomically terrible, thus WASD is optimal.

>>6977009
>But for 2D games left handed movement feels awkward
What did he mean by this???

>> No.6977228

Bro, do you have a degenerative brain disease or something? You should be able to create new and retrieve synapse connections with ease. Especially with something as simple as a keyboard.

>> No.6977417

>>6976810
I use WASD + Numpad for 2d games and it works great for me. Better than "arrow keys for movement + Z-X-etc for actions" kind of setup.

>> No.6977421

>>6976810
I used to resist wasd, but now I'm so accustom to it that it feels weird if a game asks me to use the cursor keys.

>> No.6977834

>>6976810
I doubt it. As dumb as some of the other kids here are I think you're the only one who's so hard core retro it's made him too retarded to adapt to using different keys. I though maybe this was just a humblebrag to show off how old you are but decided to take you at your word, that you're actually a smoothbrain fool. Good thing you aren't actually old and had to grow up using machines with useless arrow keys or none at all. Might have given you a stroke.

>> No.6978053
File: 2.18 MB, 2016x1456, Clickbars_like_fidget_spinners.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6976810
How are those wooden keycaps? I was considering the zinc keycaps from China, but those are expensive, and I was thinking the wood ones may have a nice feel.

I was used to using the arrow keys back when I was on a 286/386 in playing Wing Commander 2, X-Wing, Wolfenstein 3D, and Doom. It was hard to imagine using different keys, but I soon adapted to using the WADS keys for movement when paired with mouselook with a right-handed mouse in the original Unreal Tournament, Tribes, and Quake 3. The WADS layout gives me decent spacing with the left and right hands with that setup. A bonus is that it is near other keys which can also map to other functions a game may need for actions. When Doom and Wolf3D didn't need mouselook, I was fine with my left hand using space to interact/open, ctrl to shoot, and alt to modify left and right to strafe. With WADS, holding C to crouch, shift to alter movement speed, R to reload, the numbers to change weapons, thumb on space to jump. There are some doujin games I play where movement is with the nav cluster arrow keys and actions mapped to Z/X/C and I could switch to that just fine as well.

I suppose I am adaptable to form preferences which can wildly vary from game to game. Eventually some games, may have some muscle memory associated with them, and a control layout is preferred, but it varies from game to game.

I am still looking for a nice keyboard which has the nav cluster on the left and 10-key-numpad on the right surrounding the main keys in a split ergonomic form factor.

>> No.6978134

>>6977417
numpad is absolutely ideal

>> No.6978141
File: 742 KB, 1461x724, wasd.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6978053
I seriously doubt he has those keycaps considering it's the fourth image that comes up when you google wasd. As for whether or not they'd have a nice feel, a keyboard is already a bacterial nexus, I'd strongly recommend avoiding porous materials for keycaps.

>> No.6978179

I am left handed and still use the arrow keys

>> No.6978229
File: 1.54 MB, 2016x1512, Before_windows_keys_tactile_and clicky_as_the_gods_intended.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6978141
I was looking for some good keycaps to enhance the sound of the bottom keyboard as I cannot stand the sound of MX blues of the top keyboard but the clickbars are great. The zinc keycaps are expensive yet I think metal keycaps can sound great, but worse is that I could not find a zinc spacebar. However, there is a wooden spacebar and wood keys might be nice, but I have no way to try those out.

This here is the keyboard I used for Wing Commander 2/X-Wing/Wolf3D/Doom where I used the arrow keys for movement; its sound is still amazing but they don't make keyboards like it anymore. This keyboard with is metallic sound and heavy keys is nostalgic and colors my opinion on how a keyboard should be. Nothing fits my personal Venn diagram in that special middle section between great sound/keyfeel to ergonomics/layout. The search continues to reach perfection.

>> No.6978235

>>6976810
I always favored numpads 4, 8, and 6 with my thumb on the down arrows key. It's comfy.

>> No.6978256

>>6978229
>doesn't want a noisy keyboard
>buys blues
Anon, you're silly. I have a little CM Storm with blues for rpi usage, and that's the noisiest fucking keyboard I've ever seen, heavy keycaps can't fix that shit. My WASD V2 Custom (embarrassingly overpriced, never, ever buy one of these) with browns and o-rings is quiet and comfy, I've turned a few friends on to that combo and they love it.

Have you considered those unicomp buckling spring repros?

>> No.6978263

>>6978053
Wooden keycaps are gay and you should only use them if you're a hipster faggot. Zinc keycaps are even more retarded as the plating is guaranteed to start coming off quickly. Non-anodized aluminum is probably the best option available to you. Anodized surfaces will eventually wear and even chip. SS is retarded as well. There are better materials but they're expensive and you probably won't find keys made of them. If you have the skills and tools you could make your own. If you have those skills and tools I didn't tell you a single thing you don't already know.

>>6978141
Many kinds of wood have natural antimicrobial/antibacterial properties and you can get them infused with artificial ones. It's really a question of whether you're enough of a hipster faggot to want wooden keys.

>> No.6978274

>>6978263
Textured keycaps on WASD, Y/N?

>> No.6978298

I remap WASD to a 360 pad for FPS. Never liked using a keyboard for movement, but still use a mouse for aim. Fuck WASD.

>> No.6978302

>>6976810

I only use the arrows. The WASD is nonsense. I don’t know how people do it.

>> No.6978345
File: 177 KB, 1071x808, PC5250USB.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6978256
I wish Unicomp made a 122-key layout where all the extra keys had unique scancodes instead of this garbage.

>> No.6978423
File: 1.95 MB, 2016x1512, Served_me_well_for_decades.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6978263
That's a shame. Guess it is back to ABS or PBT. Like a fighting game joystick, how I prefer a theoretical setup: it doesn't exist unless I can custom machine something. For keyboards, I wish there were ergo keyboards like these 90s MS split boards, but having the nav cluster on the left and 10-key numpad on the right, with some amazing sounding keys. That would provide proper spacing for using the mouse for mouselook, balancing out the space, and maybe allowing for more movement/navigation with the left hand. The closest I found was the FLX_virgo which is still doesn't reach what I would prefer, and you'd oppose to its hipsterness of it too.

>>6978256
No, I actually want a clicky noisy keyboard as mentioned I am nostalgic for my old "Space Invaders" keyboard sound and feel. It is just the sound of Cherry MX blues on the Corsair that is bad to me. I did find those orange switches with the clickbars having a sound profile which appeals to me. I intend to learn how to solder/desolder switching the MX blues on the Corsair over to the orange switches. I have seriously considered the Unicomps, as they have that metal pang I like, but $100USD is a lot to save up for.

>> No.6978437

>>6978423
The $100 to buy a Unicomp keyboard isn't so bad as the $20+ it costs to ship one of those heavy bastards.

>> No.6978740

>>6978274
Wouldn't it be better to have different color LEDs instead, because LEDs are kewl and real gamers spend all their time looking at the keyboard? lol. I prefer homing marks.

>>6978423
If you want something done right do it yourself. A keyboard would be a pretty big job, especially if you're planning on machining aluminum blocks into odd shapes at home. But if you're willing to pay to send it out all you need to do is the design. And when compared to paying $600 for something that doesn't quite do what you want overpaying for expensive prototyping services isn't that ridiculous. After all, that's a big reason the $600 keyboards are $600 to begin with.
Machining, printing, or casting individual key caps is child splay by comparison. I regularly design and print replacement buttons, knobs, switches, etc. Once you have the design done you can get it printed in pretty much anything you want.
There's a big difference between making parts for electronics out of wood because you're a hipster and wanting an ergonomic keyboard. If you're a 55yo virgin who sits in his basement all day doing nothing but playing league and fapping carpal tunnel can be a severely debilitating life threatening illness.

>> No.6979085

>>6976810
it depends what the game was designed around. I could never play old dos games like keen or duke with WSAD. I prefer doom and quake with WSAD and mouse though.

what game did you get that gave you the shits?

>> No.6979116

>>6978298
disgusting

>> No.6979526

>>6976810
I was a console kid. Only played point and click games on a PC.
I was able to get pretty decent mouse mouse reflexes and aiming precision, but my abilities with a keyboard are close to null.
And I still hate using the left pinky for running.
Give me a pad any day, except for FPS games.

>> No.6981098

>>6978053
>I was used to using the arrow keys back when I was on a 286/386 in playing Wing Commander 2

The fact that you can play a Wing Commander game without a joystick impresses me. I decided to relive the Wing Commander experience a few years ago and after three levels I went straight to the store and bought a joystick. It just wasn't the same without one.

>> No.6981112

>>6977009
Left handed people still use the mouse with their right hand

>> No.6981462

>>6981112
Do they still? I knew one guy who did this 20 years ago but haven't seen anyone since. Do you have a source to back up your claim?

>> No.6981694

>>6981462
Yeah, myself, and other people I know who are also left handed. I use my left hand pretty much wherever I can without thinking about it and I still drive the mouse with my right hand.

>> No.6981698
File: 272 KB, 800x579, Dash Rendar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6978229
>played X-Wing without a joystick

>> No.6981930

I still play Doom using only a keyboard. Fucking hate the way that game feels with mouse. Quake and forward is alright with WASD + mouse