[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 143 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6711018 No.6711018 [Reply] [Original]

Which retro games have the most moded content to them?
The only two I really know about are Doom and Super Mario World and those are pretty much my favorite retro games.

Does duke nukem have stuff like that?
Any Zelda games?
Final Fantasy?

I don't even know what the general term is because Doom calls them Wads and SMW calls them rom hacks. Are they just mods?

>> No.6711040

posting in epic zoomer thread

>> No.6711104

>>6711018
Nah no other games have any hacks, just Doom and Super Mario World. It's a shame and hopefully it'll change one day.

>> No.6711308

>>6711040
>>6711104
Now I see why there's so many trannies in the speed running community.

>> No.6711315

>>6711018
Duke nukem has hunt for Saddam and hunt for Osama. Also wgrealms which is a massive overhaul and adds an rpg system and stuff

>> No.6712630
File: 2 KB, 470x440, HORROR-FROG.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I remember after the GG3 shitstorm a bunch of translations were removed from Romhacking. which ones were? I just downloaded the SNES romset.

>> No.6712978

>nearly unanimously agreed upon that New Super Mario Bros is the most bland looking art style the franchise
>Nintendo forces this art style to stick for four games in a row and it even seeps into spinoffs from time to time
>Romhackers still try to emulate this style for some reason

literally why, you don't have to follow Miyamoto's shitty autistic mandates, you have the freedom to make things look actually good, but no, you want to mimic the Blandest Mario games ever.

>>6711040
We had romhack threads on the reg here before that faggot spammer came along and proved that the mods don't care.

>> No.6714523

>>6711018
Super Mario Bros. and Sonic 1 have a ton.

>>6712978
>nearly unanimously agreed upon that New Super Mario Bros is the most bland looking art style the franchise
From what I've seen on youtube, New Super Mario Bros looks way better than the Super Mario World style.

>> No.6714565

>>6711018
Pretty much most of the main Mario games are a good bet. Pokemon games have an active romhacking community, but there aren't many good finished Pokemon hacks.

>> No.6714717

>>6712630

Goemon 3
Last non buggy, free of interference version known as version 2.
There is a version 3 but it has some collision bugs.
There were fears Goemon 2 was affected,
but that was just the moderation blacklisting all new submissions until he's "convinced" to "edit" it
In addition to: censor patches meant for the older versions of the translation,
also lost in the purge when an edit was forced as the only option
(it was an official optional patch for a while)
>/vr/ warosu archives
>baddesthacks affiliated sites (cancer, only v1.0 which is buggy)
>RHDN offers Goemon 3 hard-patched with a "no slur patch" + unaltered Goemon 2, but they're search restricted

MrRichard999 (former top contributor to RHDN
banned after criticizing the moderation for "helping" the mob "directly contact" the Goemon tl authors
any of his releases after 2020 (Famista, Pennent, etc. all for NES), check his twitter
>zophar, with proper credit
>RHDN, approved after the fact, with the moderation picking random team members as "the author"

M.I.J.E.T.
A bunch of Genesis translations.
They did the most Genesis translations anyways so it's not hard to find them one way or another.
One of them had a "original rude language" patch offered on their site but force-updated on RHDN.
>MIJET home page with web archive
>rom sites
>translation romsets (lurk more)
PS: Download Vixen 57 while you can. Got licensed.

Chilling effect casualties:
Napple Tale
Version 1.0.
Supposedly getting "fixed" because "some" started to flex after the goemon situation and loudly complain that musical instruments that use faggotio in its older original meaning (wood) are offensive.
>rom sites

Stated future moderation targets:
Anything with the involvement of Wildbill and/or Dynamic Designs (tons of JRPGs, no planned replacement)
Chuuka Taisen NES (Pennywise)
Restoration patches in general (transphobia in nip DQ2? Why I never! make sure no one ever plays it.)
>still on RHDN, not for long

tl;dr will be in a fan romset

>> No.6714723

>>6711018
Duke Nukem's content is always taken down and it's not interesting to map for anyway. If you want to try working with Build engine, just stick to Blood.

>> No.6715010

>>6714717
is there any other sizable site for translations/romhacks aside from romhacking.net

>> No.6715070

>Does Duke Nukem have stuff like that
Yeah, there's lots of custom Dook maps out there and even some full on mods and weird things like Duke plus
>Zelda
Yeah
>Final Fantasy
Yes, there are a couple notable FFVI hacks