[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 218 KB, 500x500, 18d1de44c5b4ab4323ddd6965a47b19b.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6427254 No.6427254 [Reply] [Original]

I really want to get into JRPGs, but I dont know much about the genre and want to avoid games that are overrated and considered "classics" despite being objectively bad games, like New Vegas, Skyrim, or SotN, which are great in all aspects except the gameplay.
I understand that Chrono Trigger, FFVII and Earthbound fit that description and im better off not playing those since I dont care about story at all and only about gameplay, but which are the good ones? Out of the few JRPGs that ive played, FF Tactics is the only one I like. Someone please help me with this, I dont want to feel like im missing out anymore

>> No.6427270

>>6427254
DUAL ORB 2 is a classic

>> No.6427278

FFV has a great job system. Story takes a back seat and doesn't take itself seriously.

>> No.6427280

>I dont care about story at all and only about gameplay
Legend of Mana
Valkyrie Profile
Ogre Battle
Tactics Ogre PSP
FFV

>> No.6427293

>>6427280
>Tactics Ogre PSP
Anon, don't recommend the PSP version, for all that it adds it also fucks up. Or at the very least, play it with the One Vision mod. Also Tactics Ogre has tons of story and it's pretty good.

>> No.6427312

>>6427270
BASED

>>6427280
Good list.

If you want a more involved battle system. Super Mario RPG, Legend of Dragoon, Legend of Legaia, Treasure of the Rudras, Paper Mario 64. All of these require more than just menu searching for attacks, and require inputs during battle making them more engaging.

If Tactics is your thing, consider looking at SRPGs or Strategy Games like Fire Emblem, Ogre Battle, Tactics Ogre. Or just straight Strategy like Super Famicom Wars (later ones not retro, but Advance Wars)

>> No.6427361

>>6427254
panzer dragoon saga has my favorite combat system to date. Even how it it approaches status effects is like a brilliant stroke. Stop literally making it so you can't move in battle, bind limiting your ATB gauges.

>> No.6427395 [DELETED] 
File: 175 KB, 600x445, 98.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427254
>I really want to get into JRPG
>....which are great in all aspects except the gameplay.
If you're looking for good gameplay you won't find much going on in turn-based jrpgs. Look at it this way, they take 20-40hours to finish, and 80% of that time is wandering around, reading dialogue, doing inventory management, buying/selling items, backtracking and looking for the next NPC or even trigger to push the story along.
15% is random encounters, which you auto-win by mashing (A) strong attack + throwing a heal now and then. And maybe 5% is boss battles which don't pose much challenge besides asking you to pass a level-and-gear check and knowing the basics of the game. So if you didn't skip half the random encounters and forget to update your gear you should plow through bosses one your first or second attempts easy....

>> No.6427414
File: 50 KB, 600x697, Tifa_pic195.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427254 (OP)
>I really want to get into JRPG
>....which are great in all aspects except the gameplay.
If you're looking for good gameplay you won't find much going on in turn-based jrpgs. Look at it this way, they take 20-40hours to finish, and 80% of that time is wandering around, reading dialogue, doing inventory management, buying/selling items, backtracking and looking for the next NPC or event trigger to push the story along.

Then 15% is random encounters which you auto-win by mashing (A) strong attack + throwing a heal now and then. Maybe 5% is boss battles which don't pose much challenge besides asking you to pass a level-and-gear check and knowing the basics of the game. So if you didn't skip half the random encounters and forget to update your gear you should crush bosses on your first or second attempts easy....

Not to mention these games have very little replay value since they are story driven and don't ask much of the player, so there's little incentive to replay unless you are trying to 100% all the items and secrets, which means using a guide to walk around and collect shit in order so you don't perma-miss stuff.

you might have some fun at the start because of the novelty, but once that wears off (and it wears off fast) you'll feel the tedium set in as you do random encounter #599 mindlessly, hoping to reach the end of that dungeon so you can smash the boss in one or two attempts.

>> No.6427417

Is this some kind of fucking joke?

>> No.6427463

>>6427254
>I dont care about story at all
The RPG genre is not for you then. Sorry.

>> No.6427493

>>6427254
tecmo secret of the stars
maka maka
beyond the beyond

>> No.6427547

In addition to the suggestions in the thread check out Star Ocean 2 and Parasite Eve. Also, you're still going to be missing out if you're going to be dodging the majority of the games in a genre.

>> No.6427554

>>6427254
/vr/ jrpgs are mostly trash, more recent ones are way better

>> No.6427557

>>6427254
There's really two kinds of RPGs, linear and open. Your linear ones are like Chrono Trigger, FFIV, Lunar etc where you're given a cast of characters and it's mostly about playing through the story with them. Customization is minimal and it's more like a story you play through.

The other side is games like SaGa, Persona, Pokemon, FF 3 and 5 etc where you have a lot of options and though the game is still playing through a story it's more about messing around with the gameplay systems and trying different things.

One probably appeals more than the other so look in that direction.

>> No.6427558
File: 490 KB, 1880x2166, 1566746080668.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427554
Obligatory for faggots like you.

>> No.6427562

>>6427558
Not sure what the fuck your schizo post means, but /vr/ JRPGs are on average garbage. Then again when you have a board that says fucking Chrono Trigger is a masterpiece you know you're dealing with idiots

>> No.6427608

>>6427557
>Persona
>open
So you're retarded, or what?

>> No.6427628
File: 47 KB, 362x272, Serbia_Strong.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427293
Bogpill me on Tactics Ogre versions and which one is the best and why. It's been on my "games I should really get around to playing one day" list for years

>> No.6427629

>>6427278
Second this considering OP says he liked FFT. FFV is the obvious gateway drug.

>> No.6427650

>>6427628
>spoonfeed me
No. Kill yourself. You piece of shit.

>> No.6427654

>>6427558
>it's possible to suck at a genre that takes no skill
Amazing.
Imagine how much he sucks at actual games that require a bit of skill or practice?

>> No.6427658

>>6427254
The games you listed are all great. But try the Romancing SaGa games and SaGa Frontier, you might like those.

>> No.6427660

>>6427654
t. butthurt retard who sympathizes with that image

>> No.6427669

>>6427650
Rude

>> No.6427673

>>6427669
Die.

>> No.6427679

>>6427254
You are either a shitty troll or a complete moron

>> No.6427695

>>6427608
I mean in terms of gameplay not plot. You can collect different deomns that do different stuff in battle as opposed to ff4/Lunar etc where you have a premade party designed around beating the areas/bosses they give you.

>> No.6427716

>>6427660
>t. butthurt retard who sympathizes with that image
Image just shows a guy who sucks at piss easy games, what are you reading into it?

>> No.6427719

>>6427716
There is a contingency of people who shittalk JRPGs on this site, despite (because?) they're massive fucking idiots who can't clear one of the most basic JRPGs of all time. They're butthurt, so they spread the butthurt, so to speak.

>> No.6427727

>>6427719
sure, doesn't change the fact that jrpgs are probably the easiest genre there is, can't really think of anything easier except full blown visual novels

>> No.6427730

>>6427679
Like I said, im new to the genre so I really dont know what Im talking about. Whats wrong with what I posted

>> No.6427736
File: 121 KB, 695x482, IMG_6368.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427254
Secretly the best jarpig

>> No.6427738

>>6427727
They very obviously aren't 'easy' when massive swaths of normalfaggots can't into Kefka's Tower. Normalfags tend to become absolutely fucking retarded when JRPGs are brought up, and I would imagine that's why you're reacting the way you are. (You're a normalfaggot.)

>> No.6427741

>>6427254
The games you listed are indeed overrated but by no means 'objectively bad'. I do recommend that you play FF7 at some point. Overrated or no, it is a massive turning point of influence and presentation level.

But what ARE you after? A good dungeon crawl, or tactical combat, freedom? Don't say all of those, you're probably not gettin' it. Choose one (or something else) and maybe you can get some recommendations based upon your preferences. 'I want a JRPG' tells us nothing, and you'll get a whole bumnh of stuff that doesn't appeal to you at all, I guarentee it.

>> No.6427757

>>6427730
Between the contrarianism, calling well-like games "objectively bad", describing a SRPG as a standard JRPG, and asking for broad spoonfeeding of a popular genre that is the definition of "lurk moar" there's a whole lot of dumb in your post. It all just stinks of bait

>> No.6427773

If you're looking strictly for gameplay, I think shin megami tensei is really fun. Illusion of Gaia is great too, though arguably more of a zelda rather than a JRPG.

>> No.6427774
File: 1.68 MB, 924x868, TreasureOfTheRudrasArt[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427254
Play Treasure of the Rudras, Mystic Ark or Metal Max if you're tired of the usual medieval, DnD setting.

>> No.6427791

>>6427254
>want to get into JRPGs
>I dont care about story at all and only about gameplay
Good luck with that

>> No.6427795

>>6427738
>They very obviously aren't 'easy' when massive swaths of normalfaggots can't into Kefka's Tower.
First of all, those normalfaggots are correct in saying that jrpgs are an easy genre. But their opinion comes by just guessing or repeating something they heard, not by their experience. My opinion comes out of actual experience and reasoning, since I've finished dozens of jrpgs and know how little they demand from the player.

Secondly, those aren't even "normies", they are something else because jrpgs are made for normies and kids to beat, and have become one of the most popular genres now.
Using that image as an example is cherry picking, it's like using your grandma, who never played a jrpg, as a measure of the genre's difficulty. Silly.

Thirdly, when we look at other genres jrpgs are for sure near the bottom in difficulty, they just don't ask much from the player besides reading ability, patience, and knowing how the gear + battle system works, which is learned in a couple of hours pretty early on.

>> No.6427804

>>6427795
I didn't say 'normies' you fencesitting beta male. I said 'normalfaggot'. There's a difference.

Go beat FF6 Brave New World, and maybe then we can see eye to eye on JRPG difficulty. Otherwise, I just hear a sheep bleating like you and the rest of the normalfaggots that you defend.

>> No.6427828
File: 90 KB, 500x650, 24296806_p11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427628
Tactics Ogre on the SNES functions like your typical SRPG, where individual units level up and you can grind and find items, yadda yadda. The PSX version is mostly the same but it's got a different sounding soundtrack, I don't remember if any of the mechanics were changed. The Saturn version I have no idea what is different other than it's the only version with fully voiced lines of dialogue, of course only ever recorded in Japanese. The PSP version perhaps would be the best version of the game, it has new units, new characters, new side content, a fully reworked system, and the translation is far superior to any other version. However the problem with the PSP version is that the crafting system they added completely ruins the way items are obtain as has an absurdly high failure rate that encourages save scumming, and the way leveling works in the PSP version rather than leveling up your dudes, classes level up and everyone part of the class will be more powerful, but this means you have to grind every time you get a new class you want to use rather than a character, In the original it wasn't actually all that hard to catch up new units on levels though so this change is questionable. The One Vision Mod for the PSP version seeks to completely rebalance the game and make annoying game mechanics like the new crafting system far more stomachable, but I haven't tried it out myself.
The SNES/PSX version is probably the most straightforward, but you'll miss out on some of the new extra content.

>> No.6427836
File: 1.39 MB, 200x150, 1549387779228.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427254
>but I dont know much about the genre and want to avoid games that are overrated and considered "classics" despite being objectively bad games
They wouldn't be considered classics if they were objectively bad

>> No.6427843

>>6427804
Cope, what are the hardest games you've beat? You're just as oblivious as the normalfaggots you whine about.

>> No.6427845

>>6427843
Whoa, whoa, faggot. I asked you first. What's the hardest JRPG you've beaten?

>> No.6427848

>>6427795
I think you're right in that many JRPGs are easy. Particularly older ones require a good amount of patience, as they may require you to grind in order to pass a certain obstacle. But the same is true for other genres, like platformers that expect you to memorize blind leaps or shmups that require you to memorize patterns - what is so much more challenging about that?

"Knowing how the gear + battle system works" is clearly not that evident since people fail at something simple as that ( >>6427558 ). I think it's just an aspect of what people like in a game. That said, JRPGs can have more interesting mechanics than FFVI. FFV for example has a pretty engaging system, and although I wouldn't consider it a hard game I do think it's satisfying to build my characters in a manner that allows me to beat bosses efficiently. More modern games do even more with turn-based and menu-driven gameplay, like for example Etrian Odyssey games (particularly the later ones) are well-balanced and challenging turn-based games with a heavy emphasis on party building.

Of course, I think that if you don't like the storylines present in most JRPGs, or if you don't like menu management, you probably won't get much out of the genre, but I don't think it's worthwhile to act smug about how memorizing patterns is somehow less repetitive and more challenging than learning how a game's combat system works. For some reason, JRPGs always get accused of lacking depth and difficulty while for example Zelda games get a pass for having very repetitive, easy, unengaging combat that's not even enhanced much by the many items you can pick up during gameplay since most enemies and bosses require you to use just one item (at most) plus your sword.

>> No.6427856

>>6427848
EO is the perfect example, because it even filters my dumb ass. I only beat IV because it's casual and the builds are self-evident. I greatly respect anyone who can beat an EO game by their own gumption.

>> No.6427859

If you care about gameplay, you won't have fun with standard JRPGs outside of maybe SMT. Try tactics games instead like FFT and Tactics Ogre, since they're gameplay-first. I wouldn't exactly class them as JRPGs though, which is fine since JRPGs are the last thing you should play if you purely care about gameplay.

>> No.6427861

>>6427859
>which is fine since JRPGs are the last thing you should play if you purely care about gameplay
Kill yourself, you obviously biased pile of shit. Get lost.

>> No.6427863

>>6427848
>That said, JRPGs can have more interesting mechanics than FFVI. FFV for example has a pretty engaging system, and although I wouldn't consider it a hard game I do think it's satisfying to build my characters in a manner that allows me to beat bosses efficiently.
This exactly, even if there are a lot of easy games within the genre of JRPGs, they can still be enjoyable because they have interesting battle mechanics and character building. Maybe this isn't the best example but Parasite Eve which I wouldn't called the hardest game in the world is still infinitely fun because I can fuck around with limitless gun customization Hard or challenging =/= fun. There are some games that I do wish still were harder than they ended up being like Chrono Cross but still were thoroughly enjoyable.

>> No.6427869

>>6427863
Name the hardest JRPG you've ever cleared. Go.

>> No.6427872

>>6427845
Turn-based jrpgs? None have been hard.
I'll just list a bunch and you decide.
FFT, FF 3 to 9, Ogre Battle LUCT, SMT Soul hackers, SMT devil survivor, SMT strange journey, Etrian Odyssey 3/4, Person 3 & 4....

None are hard, some are just more tedious than others taking a bit more planning, that's about it. Maybe you'll mention some unknown weeb shit that no one plays, or objectively bad games like Romancing Saga 2? Who knows, but 99% of the jrpg is piss easy.

Now tell me what actual hard games you've beat, that don't make you a normalfaggot?

>> No.6427879
File: 4 KB, 256x250, 1587414028976.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427869
>hard
>jrpg
lmao

>> No.6427880

>>6427872
Brave New World. Beat it, and then you can say you're on my level.

>> No.6427881

>>6427254
Are you retarded?

>> No.6427883

>>6427879
>w-why can't I beat Inferno, anons?
Pathetic.

>> No.6427884

>>6427774
I have a huge boner for Keita Amimya works

>> No.6427887

>>6427869
Well haven't completed it yet but Vagrant Story seems to offer a decent challenge. Only because some bosses feel like they have obscure weaknesses that aren't always easy to find out.

>> No.6427890

>>6427880
>FF6 Brave New World
>resorting to a rom-hack to find some challenge
lol you just proved his point and still dodged his question.

what are the hardest games you've beat? (no romhacks)

>> No.6427892

>>6427890
Why don't romhacks count, bitch?

>> No.6427902

>>6427892
because anyone can make a shitty romhack and add a ton of enemies and crazy bosses with billions of HP, they don't represent any genre as a whole, nor do they represent the actual game. FF6 is still piss easy, even if I make some gay romhack version of it, and jrpgs are still piss easy as a whole.

You just got exposed.

>> No.6427916

>>6427902
Then go beat FFV without knowing what the broken Blue Magics are.

>> No.6427917

>>6427872
>taking a bit more planning

A game that requires you to plan ahead isn't actually easy though, or you'd be able to beat it just by wandering through it unprepared. Planning is kind of like a puzzle aspect of games like this and it's part of the gameplay.

>> No.6427920

>>6427917
The average retard is too stupid to plan ahead, though. The average retard thinks he's real smart for discovering Danger Mario in the Paper Mario series.

>> No.6427931

>>6427917
planning in jrpgs is like, "I should equip my fire magic since the boss is weak to it"

>> No.6427934

>>6427861
a few semi recent JRPGs have interesting combat systems, like resonance of fate, but generally even the good ones wouldn't hold up as a standalone experience and get old way before the end of the game. The best /vr/ JRPG gameplay always ends up being hybrid, like a focus on tactics or the first person dungeon crawling seen in phantasy star 1.

>> No.6427937

>>6427931
Maybe in the pussy games you play. In real games, you look at the fire-resistant equipment and think "should the obvious lack of stats make up for the resistance?" This is lost on 90 IQs like you. You should be wiped from existence, plain and simple.

>> No.6427938

>>6427254
lurk moar you fucking faggot

>> No.6427970

>>6427931
You really shouldn't partake in a discussion if you haven't played any relevant games. Play Etrian Odyssey without a guide that tells you the broken builds. Or play SMT3 without learning how buffs work. These are also easy games if you use a guide to tell you the most effective strategies, but that's basically cheating in the same way that looking up the solution to a puzzle is.

Many JRPGs DO lack depth, it's true, you can easily play Pokémon Red without ever even bothering to memorize the type matchups. But Pokémon Red is designed for six-year-old children.

>> No.6427975

>jrpgs
>hard
lmao
zoomers really think this?

>> No.6427991

>>6427975
It's hard enough to filter you retards. See: Kefka's Tower.

>> No.6427994
File: 25 KB, 500x337, 1588032157196.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lots of bait ITT

>> No.6427997

>>6427994
>t. got filtered by Kefka's Tower

>> No.6427998

Why do people who dislike JRPGs go into threads about JRPGs? Are you really that bored, you have nothing else to pass your time?

>> No.6428000

>>6427998
Commies need to destroy everything that white males hold dear. Or didn't you know?

>> No.6428001

>>6427970
>But Pokémon Red is designed for six-year-old children.
and all other jrpgs are designed for 9yr olds, what's your point?
At least Pokemon games have player vs player, so there's some strategy involved.

>Many JRPGs DO lack depth, it's true
Even if they have depth, like say FF10 junction system, they still manage to be easy as shit

>guide for EO
lol, no need, it's pretty obvious what the optimal setups are

>> No.6428004

>>6428001
You've never beaten an EO game in your life. Kill yourself.

>> No.6428005

>>6427998
I like jrpgs, I enjoy Chrono Trigger quite a bit. But I'm not going to lie and say it's hard or challenging, no jrpg has ever been challenging, unless you're a grandma who never games or a literal retard downsyndrome like that guy in the image >>6427558

>> No.6428008

>>6428005
Please kill yourself, communist.

>> No.6428013

>>6428004
I beat EO 3 and 4, SMT SJ & Soul hackers, I play dungeon crawlers more than traditional jrpgs. Playing Dungeon Travelers 2 right now, mostly for the anime tits.
Nothing about these games is hard unless you rush in under-leveled and under-geared

>> No.6428015

>>6428005
this
you don't need to pretend JRPGs are deep to enjoy playing them. I enjoy VNs too but I don't try to act like they have a high skill ceiling. JRPGs are games you play for the story, and the only interesting gameplay systems are borrowed from other genres (strategy games, dungeon crawlers etc).

>> No.6428017

>>6428013
Name your builds.

>> No.6428024

>>6427774
I've been playing metal max returns and it's nothing special in terms of gameplay, sure you get tanks, but it's no better than ff7 in the customization department.

>> No.6428027

>>6428005
Well I don't think all JRPGs are universally easy either, have you played Vagrant Story or Parasite Eve, not super hard but they require some skill at least

>> No.6428035

>>6428027
Fuck off, retard. Parasite Eve is easy as shit. It's pure movie game.

>> No.6428037

>>6428017
builds for what? EO 3/4? I beat those like 6 years ago. I can't remember. 4th game bored me, way too easy, til I finished the second stratum and started unlocking the other classes though, then it picked up a bit.

>> No.6428039

>>6428037
Okay, so name your build.

>> No.6428042

>>6428035
>It's pure movie game.
Have you actually played the game, at all? The hell do you mean a "movie" game? Just because it's marketed as a cinematic RPG doesn't mean it was actually like that, not in the modern sense at least

>> No.6428043

>>6428001
>Even if they have depth, like say FF10 junction system, they still manage to be easy as shit

Doesn't mean it can't be engaging to learn a system though. As I mentioned earlier, I don't consider FFV to be a hard game to beat but I do consider it satisfying to optimize my party to deal with bosses and encounters as efficiently as possible. And that in itself can be challenging.

Any retard can beat SM64 for example but you'd need to at least git gud to get all stars and you'd need to learn and practice a lot to do a decent speedrun.

>> No.6428045

>>6428039
let's ignore your illiteracy for a second.
name a hard game you beat, you can't.

>> No.6428047

>>6428045
I accept your concession.

>> No.6428049

>>6428043
SM64 is a platformer, platforming well takes skill.
There's no such thing as being a good "jrpg" player. They're just visual novels with walking and extra fluff.

We hear about good fighting game players, platform speedrunners, good FPS players, there's no such thing as "that guy who's really good at JRPGs" because they take basically no skill, after you beat one or two you've maxed out the skill ceiling in the genre lol

>> No.6428052

>>6428047
I answered enough of your questions, I'm not gonna find my DS to look up my builds lol.
You still, after an hour or so, can't name a hard game you beat. Yet you think you aren't a normalfaggot because you play Final Fantasy games, lmao. Funny.

>> No.6428053

>>6428049
No one is claiming to be a 'good' JRPG player, you massively stupid faggot who is uncomfortable in his own skin. Please die.

>> No.6428056

>>6428052
I beat SMB1 the other day. That was pretty hard. Also SMB3 with the Japanese damage system.

>> No.6428059
File: 24 KB, 300x153, look_at_this_dude_lmao.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6428056
I beat SMB1 and 3 when I was like 8-9 years old....
No wonder you think Final fantasy games are hard.

>> No.6428060

>>6427254
Not retro, but I really like Final Fantasy Tactics Advance. If anything it's better than FFT.

>> No.6428061

>>6428049
Way to ignore the important part of my post, namely that it can be satisfying to learn a party/battle system with depth.

>> No.6428064

>>6428059
Did you beat SMB3 with the Japanese damage system?

>> No.6428070

>>6428061
Staring at trees in a park can be satisfying for a while. Sure. Problem is the actual battle mechanics, no difficulty, and slow paced nature of FFX overshadow that satisfaction and make it kind of futile.

>> No.6428075

>>6428070
Okay, then don't play FFX?

>> No.6428076

>>6428075
Of course, I'd never recommend that game to anyone.

>> No.6428078 [DELETED] 

>>6428070
You will be wiped straight off the planet Earth, kike. Bye bye. Bye.

>> No.6428098

>>6427848
JRPGs you grind your characters
there's not much skill involved
In platformers you grind your own skill, which later helps you beat other platformers easier.

Etrian Oddyssey are dungeon crawlers that are traditionally challenging, they are different genre from JRPGs, and require more tactical thinking.

Zelda's aren't RPGs, they are adventure games.

>> No.6428101

Rpgs have boring gameplay and shitty animetrash storys it's a worthless genre

>> No.6428102

>>6428098
By your own definition, why can't you just grind in Etrian?

>> No.6428109

>>6428049
>there's no such thing as "that guy who's really good at JRPGs" because they take basically no skill

The anti-grinders would beg to differ.

>> No.6428112

>>6428098
If you have to grind in JRPGs you are bad at JRPGs though. Grinding is a punishment for being terrible.

>> No.6428114

>>6428109
>The anti-grinders
You mean sensible human beings? You didn't 'beat' a JRPG if you grinded, retard.

>> No.6428120

>>6428109
yeah but that still requires unfair knowledge of numbers and powers you shouldnt know which is cheating and doesn't count

>>6428101
this. if i wanted animetrash i'd watch animetrash. likewise for books and movies. if i want good music i'd listen to real music which is why i mute every movie i watch so i can focus on the cinematografy

>> No.6428142

>>6428120
At least movies have stories and cinematography rpgs got nothing kek

>> No.6428150

>>6428114
>you didn't really beat the game
>you didn't really read a book
>you didn't really watch a movie

>> No.6428153

>>6428150
Go on.

>> No.6428163

>>6428102
You can, the other anon is wrong. Plenty of JRPGs qualify as dungeon crawlers, Phantasy Star 2 is a fine example. Western "dungeon crawlers" tend to have more sophisticated mechanics than JRPGs though, the Ultima Underworld games have real physics operating in a true 3D environment, with a conversation system, puzzles, rune based magic, food and stamina mechanics, etc. JRPGs tend to be just "get weapon, get XP, hit dinosaurs harder".

Etrian Odyssey is almost pure grind, but it's fun to do so because of the nice, simple but versatile skill tree system, that gives you a lot of freedom to customise your party. Yes, it's still "get weapon, get XP, hit dinosaur harder" but it's not quite grind-to-win because there are choices you can make that will make winning much easier or harder

>> No.6428164

>>6428114
Watching a Lets Play on YouTube is the same as beating a jrpg, takes just as much effort and patience.

>> No.6428165 [DELETED] 

>>6428163
The jews murdered JFK, bombed the USS Liberty, and bombed the Twin Towers. Please die.

>> No.6428167

Test

>> No.6428170 [DELETED] 

>>6428167
Test this, jew. You will never have a 'I don't care' poll ever again. You will always be hated.

>> No.6428171

>>6428165

>> No.6428172

>>6428164
No, it takes less effort and less patience.
I love grinding in JRPGs, personally. It's a form of spiritual purification, like practicing the same basic punch in a dojo for hours.

>> No.6428176 [DELETED] 

>>6428172
You will never have a 'benefit of the doubt' ever again, jew. Even the whites who you think you hoodwinked hate you and look at you with alien understanding. You are an alien. You don't belong here.

>> No.6428181

You probably have some understanding with Leo Frank, jewish child rapist. Because after all, why would the ADL exist without you raping our young women?

>> No.6428182
File: 26 KB, 500x335, 1538023468693.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6428176

>> No.6428184 [DELETED] 

>>6428182
Scared, jew?

>> No.6428185

>>6428153
theres no going on
some retards like to gatekeep consumption of entertainment based on arbitrary shit
"you didn't really read/watch/play X unless you <insert irrelevant requirement>"

>> No.6428186

JRPGs are just worse visual novels. At least VNs fully commit to telling stories without bullshit rock paper scissors slowing down the experience.

>> No.6428187 [DELETED] 

>>6428185
They're called jews. And they will be dealt with in due time.

>> No.6428189
File: 5 KB, 223x226, 1526395702911.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6428184
spooked

>> No.6428191

>>6428172
80% of jrpgs is passive watching, wandering around, and tinkering with menus.
15% is spamming A to win random encounters
5% is casting Fire spell vs the boss with fire weakness.

Only difference is it asks you to input some tedious button presses as you passively watch what happens.

If the youtube Let's Play asked you to refresh it every few minutes it would take just as much button input and dexterity, everything else is equal.

>> No.6428192 [SPOILER] 
File: 519 KB, 500x715, 1589443390816.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6428196

>>6428191
So how hard did Inferno filter you?

>> No.6428209
File: 174 KB, 1280x960, amazing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>jrpg
>((("difficulty"))) settings

>> No.6428217

>>6428209
>if Inferno.filtered == true
>print "You're a stupid fucking faggot who can't even beat the most simple of JRPGs. It's actually funny to me that you assert that they're brainless, when you literally can't beat them."
>;

>> No.6428238

>That autist spamming jews because it cannot cope with the fact that jrpgs are easy.
It is the most popular genre after all, and people play them for the characters, not the gameplay, a hard jrpg would never fly, and hard doesn't mean "you need to press attack and cast firaga more times", that's garbage even in action games.
Oh, and repeating the same encounter five times in a row is not fun. That's what essentially happens every time in every jrpg.
If you want to learn what real gameplay is, check out tactics/strategy games where, unlike jrpgs, you cannot spam attack and win every time.

>> No.6428246

>>6428238
>It is the most popular genre after all
What Twilight Zone are you existing in, jew?

>> No.6428254

>>6428060
What sucks about FFT compared to FFTA? I've played and enjoyed the latter and am thinking about picking it up. Also, which port? I could easily get the psx or android versus.

>> No.6428259

>>6428254
Kill yourself.

>> No.6428260

>>6428238
>repeating the same encounter five times in a row is not fun

Yeah, I hate Mario games too. How many fucking Goombas and Koopas do I have to stomp before this game gets good?

>> No.6428281

>>6428260
You need to get shot.

>> No.6428292

10/10 thread

>> No.6428298

>>6428217
I beat Ys games on inferno, and they actually take some mechanical skill, unlike turn-based jrpgs which you win for free.

>> No.6428324 [DELETED] 

Why do jrpgs cause so much butthurt on this board? No matter what game or if the genre in general is discussed it's always full of autists going REEEEEEEEEEEEE
If all discussion of JRPGs ceased this instant your favourite game/genre still wouldn't get discussed more

>> No.6428325 [DELETED] 

>>6428298
>muh knocking into the sprite next to me
Ys is garbage, and you're a faggot. Also the jews murdered JFK, bombed the USS Liberty, and bombed the Twin Towers.

>> No.6428328 [DELETED] 

>>6428324
Because you explicitly attack it, you fucking commie. It's a very basic chain of logic if you look at it.

>> No.6428337 [DELETED] 

>>6428328
attack what? this is my first post in this thread
>you fucking commie
you sound tilted, take deep breath leave your phone for a minute and relax and realize that video games are just kid's toys not worth all that high blood pressure

>> No.6428340 [DELETED] 

>>6428337
>this is my first post in this thread
Then you're dumber than shit. Fuck off.

>> No.6428341 [DELETED] 

>>6428340
ok, be mad then

>> No.6428342 [DELETED] 

>>6428341
>get called a retard
>y-youre dumb!
This is how 100 IQs actually think. Pathetic.

>> No.6428343 [DELETED] 

>>6428340
Did... did Enix molest you as a child?

>> No.6428346 [DELETED] 

>>6428343
HAHAHAHA.

>> No.6428351 [DELETED] 

>>6428346
So, that's a yes. Wish you the best, angry-non

>> No.6428353 [DELETED] 

>>6428342
don't be like that, I called you mad not dumb
I'm sure you're a very smart boy :*

>> No.6428354 [DELETED] 

>>6428324
people get emotionally attached to jrpgs, look at all the waifu-fagging that happens because of them and their characters/stories.

Regarding difficulty, those same fanboys tend to play mainly jrpgs, visual novels, character building games and mmos and have no idea what challenging games actually are that take practice and strategy

look at this guy, he's so butthurt he can't even admit that Ys games are tougher than the generic turn-based shit he plays >>6428325

>> No.6428358 [DELETED] 

>>6428325
>Also the jews murdered JFK, bombed the USS Liberty, and bombed the Twin Towers.
We already know this, and the holohoax is a hoax. This doesn't change the fact that jrpgs are piss easy braindead genre, and no your "romhacks" still don't matter.

Go play something hard.

>> No.6428360 [DELETED] 

>>6428354
so don't go into those threads?

>> No.6428362 [DELETED] 

>>6428340
Take your pills.

>> No.6428368 [DELETED] 

>>6428360
I like jrpgs so I go into jrpg threads. That doesn't mean I have to praise every aspect about them. Sometimes the encounter rates are annoying, sometimes the stories are trash, or the battle mechanics are shallow.... I've beaten tons and I know they are a super easy genre, no one plays them for a big challenge or because of the deep gameplay anyway. Let's not kid ourselves.

>> No.6428372 [DELETED] 

>>6428358
>>6428362
You're losing the world. It's slipping through your hands. Pathetic fucking jews.

>> No.6428380 [DELETED] 

>>6428368
>I like jrpgs
could've fooled me
>That doesn't mean I have to praise every aspect about them
every aspect? didn't see any aspect praised here

>> No.6428381 [DELETED] 
File: 25 KB, 550x400, 1588979810797.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.6428382 [DELETED] 

>>6428000
You realise it's shmup discord trannies doing that right?

>> No.6428391 [DELETED] 

>>6428380
see, I praised CT >>6428005

>> No.6428392 [DELETED] 

>>6428382
What's the difference?

>> No.6428420 [DELETED] 

>>6428382
paranoia

>> No.6428471
File: 222 KB, 1000x897, zable-fahr-seiken-densetsu3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427254
Ignoring the rampant shit posting
JRPGs that I've played that have great gameplay imo
>Parasite Eve
>Vagrant Story
>Seiken Densetsu 3
>Ogre Battle 64(sorta an RTS hybrid kinda game)
>Valkyrie Profile
>Front Mission Gun Hazard(does this count? If not normal Front Mission series is good too)
>Romancing SaGa(Then entire series is great, SaGa Frontier too)
>Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers
>Live A Live(Interesting game all around)
>Chaos Seed
>Guardian's Crusade(prime example of not wanting to judge a book by it's cover)
>Brave Fencer Musashi
>Azure Dreams(Rougelike)
>Chrono Cross (you already mentioned Chrono Trigger)

Games I haven't gotten around to yet but intend to play very soon and heard good things about
>Xenogears(Though I heard this is a very story driven game)
>Terranigma
>Secret of Evermore(Actually this is TECHNICALLY a western action RPG imitating a japanese role playing games)
>Arc The Lad
>Suikoden (series)
>Legend of Dragoon
>Treasure Hunter G
>Metal Max/Metal Max Returns
>Sweet Home
>Fushigi no Dungeon(Mystery Dungeon)
>Grandia(series)

Games I probably wouldn't recommend but shit I enjoyed it
>Revelations: Persona (and Persona 2 Eternal Punishment)
>Linda Cubed Again(Japanese only)
>King's Field(series)

>> No.6428498

Parasite Eve has pretty solid gameplay which mixes the standard braindead buffs and gear customization with dodging and positioning...but in typical JRPG fashion, it doesn't do much with it and you have to wait until post game for it to start picking up, then it ends. SMT games are pretty fun because your party's always changing so the simplistic mechanics won't get too boring. Front Mission 3 has some satisfying combat and mech building, but it's far too easy...

>> No.6428507

>>6428217
>Inferno.filtered == true
Is this a rare example of a time when a difficulty mode got filtered by the player instead of vice versa?

>> No.6428517

>>6427278
tbf, FFV deaths were more impactful than FF4

>> No.6428519

>>6428507
barely any jrpg has difficulty settings, and most just amount to having to do extra grinding because everything becomes an HP sponge

>>6428498
smt games are tedious because of all the demon collecting and fusing they want you to do

>>6428471
problem is the gameplay is too easy on these games, I have no idea why it's so hard for developers to create strategically demanding jrpgs. Maybe they are afraid the target audience will be put off?
Maybe it would add too much to the already long gamelength?
A shit easy jrpg can last 40-60hours, just wandering around blowing through all the content with no resets. Now imagine the player was forced to reset and redo a lot of the content and bosses, now that 50hours turns into 300hours and that's asking too much from normies I guess.

>> No.6428535

>>6428519
>smt games are tedious because of all the demon collecting and fusing they want you to do
Not any more than other JRPG's, and on the plus side it means that your party's abilities get shuffled around more often, stalling the inevitable brain death that occurs from experiencing turn based JRPG combat.

>> No.6428554
File: 21 KB, 255x390, bloodlines.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'd rather play Bloodlines desu
jrpgs are too easy

>> No.6428562
File: 447 KB, 964x1200, tumblr_p8hyhlLbwQ1s9fn3ko1_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6428554
Bloodlines rules for sure

Unrelated, but I tend to like SRPGs a lot more than JRPGs. The typical JRPG is more about exploring the world, talking to people, finding out secrets and experiencing the story. Battles typically involve little to no movement or positioning and are just selecting an attack. I like SRPGs a lot because they're so involved: you have to think about terrain and position as well as unit management. I love turn-based games because they remind me of Chess or Stratego (my favorite board game) but the typical JRPG is very boring...

which is a shame, because few genres outside of JRPGs understand the importance of a beautiful male protagonist.

>> No.6428580
File: 55 KB, 625x469, 0b973ca5d1c3cf8128640d13f5b949bd.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427828
thank you mamma bird

>> No.6428583

>170 replies
>44 posters

>> No.6428585

>>6427254
>bad games, like New Vegas, Skyrim, or SotN,
kek

>> No.6428931

>>6427558
a few inbred mongs struggling with FF6 doesn't make it challenging game, you double faggiola

>> No.6429520
File: 32 KB, 680x578, 6f0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6428498
>Parasite Eve has pretty solid gameplay which mixes the standard braindead buffs and gear customization with dodging and positioning...but in typical JRPG fashion, it doesn't do much with it and you have to wait until post game for it to start picking up, then it ends.
Parasite Eve does enough with it consistently throughout the entire game. The buffs are very simple but also have high use, in a normal RPG using buffs isn't really always required but in Parasite Eve there's more depth to how they work. Haste is pretty self-explanatory but is far more mandatory than it's use in any Final Fantasy game, allowing Aya to move way fast and dodge attacks more efficiently, as well as allowing her to finish her attack animation quick offers a major benefit for the player and is very useful for a lot of the tougher boss fights like the Dinosaurs in the Museum or the Giant Enemy Crab. Barrier is another one, which allows Aya to totally tank the next attack but at the cost of her Parasite Energy which if it reaches 0 can stun her in place, a lot of the abilities have risk involved with them and rewards and they all compliment the gameplay perfectly. The gear customization isn't brain dead either, in fact you can actively ruin your own custom gun if you add stupid attributes that don't complement it. It's a great customization system that allows for infinite possibilities but I will agree that it never comes into it's own until the end of the game/NG+, that said you still have to make a powerful gun to even attempt the Chrysler building. Everything about Parasite Eve in wrapped up in neat little package that never overstays it's welcome and all of it's mechanics nicely compliment each other, it's no wonder the game is so fondly remembered. Also there's nothing I'd call "typical JRPG fashion" about Parasite Eve but I doubt that you could even explain that statement as it sounds utterly meaningless.

>>6428519
Which games are too easy, all of them?

>> No.6429573

>>6429520
I think it does a better job at incorporating RPG mechanics like buffs and heals into an action system than most games but it still falls short. There's very little depth in how the buffs are applied, basically you see a tough encounter, and you apply buffs in between the enemy's very predictable attacks. It's not even like Souls game heals where enemy can mix and match different combos, PE's enemy attacks are very discrete and predictable.

Regarding the other comment. PE wastes a lot of its mechanics on uninteresting, unchallenging and repetitive random encounters AND a piss easy main campaign that doesn't even utilize some of the more interesting aspects of the system. You're really just waiting until the next boss fight when you play it, those are the only parts that test your ability to dodge attacks, your guns and your buffs. You don't even get to customize your weapons properly until NG+ Chrysler Building where it opens up (and is incentivized with more challenging enemies). But that entire dungeon is just very lazy, repetitive last minute content. I would not be surprised if it almost entirely consisted of enemies cut from the main game that were given buffs. All of these problems are very common in JRPG's across the board, and PE inherited them. What it needs is an actual sequel, instead of two completely different games that use the same series name.

>> No.6429639

>>6429573
>not even like Souls game heals where enemy can mix and match different combos
I would refrain from comparing a retro 98 game to souls.
>There's very little depth in how the buffs are applied, basically you see a tough encounter, and you apply buffs in between the enemy's very predictable attacks.
I get your point here but honestly, I don't know what more you could want out of how it it was handled, that's what buffs are literally for, dealing with tough encounters. The enemies' moves are predictable but the game makes Aya move slow enough to where they may actually be a problem, there are some moves I'm not even entirely sure how to dodge like with the Crab and AOE attack of the final boss.
>PE wastes a lot of its mechanics on uninteresting, unchallenging and repetitive random encounters AND a piss easy main campaign that doesn't even utilize some of the more interesting aspects of the system. You're really just waiting until the next boss fight when you play it, those are the only parts that test your ability to dodge attacks, your guns and your buffs.
While I never really thought the game was very repetitive with it's encounters especially since they actually aren't random and appear only in specific places with specific enemy arrangements, it's true that most of the encounters aren't tough, though I think that in the start of the game by the time of central park the encounters were challenging enough, back in the day I even remember being killed by a plant enemy for the first time. But later on they undeniably get way easier, I have no problem with this as In my opinion this feels like my RPG reward for getting strong and making a powerful gun with the options I have. In the main campaign actually you end up having to make choices if you want to spend your tool boxes on defense or offense, and if you want to lift abilities or stats and I feel like this is intentional design and why the game does let you go crazy with the customization early. -->

>> No.6429648

>>6429639
<-- I'm absolutely fine with most of the only tough encounters being boss fights because they were all memorable to me did interesting things and the pacing was considerably good, no dungeon ever felt like it dragged on for too long, you fight a few enemies and explore and then bam, a new boss fight.
>until NG+ Chrysler Building where it opens up (and is incentivized with more challenging enemies). But that entire dungeon is just very lazy, repetitive last minute content. I would not be surprised if it almost entirely consisted of enemies cut from the main game that were given buffs.
I will agree with this, I personally was able to enjoy it because I loved the new boss fights, especially the last one. But at the same time it's likely the devs no longer had much budget with the game but wanted to have a little extra content for those seeking a challenging.

I get your criticism in wanting more challenge out of the game but the way I saw it, I feel like it balances it pretty well, if every enemy encounter was tough the game would be extremely frustrating.

>> No.6429987

Dragon Quest 1
Final Fantasy IV

>> No.6430007

>>6427254
Dragon Quest IV, it's a classic but not overrated. It's a very solid title with a lot of charm.

>> No.6430270
File: 337 KB, 318x237, macro PS IV.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427254
idk if it's overrated but I love Phantasy Star 4

>> No.6430301

>>6430270
Game fucking rules. No complaints here.

>> No.6431184

>>6427278
also recommend that. Also had lots of fun with that romhack for it: https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/4603/
FF5r is also really good, if you know Japanese

>> No.6431196

>>6427254
You'll love SaGa games. Romancing Saga 1-3, SaGa Frontier 1-2 are pretty good. They're focused on gameplay and balanced against you, as in the dev expects you to give up rather than to complete it (in terms of difficulty, I'd say: SF2>RS2>RS1>RS3>SF1; though 10 fatestone Saruin from RS1 is theoretically the hardest boss out of them). All of them are pretty non-linear, except for maybe SaGa Frontier 2, that one just gives you the illusion of being non-linear.

>> No.6431213
File: 1.63 MB, 240x240, 1589261858237.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6427493
kek I see what you did there

>> No.6431220

>>6427628
In addition to what the guy said, also read up on the fucking classes or you're gonna be fucked by the end of the game. Some of the shit isn't intuitive and you'd likely not know about it on a blind run.

>> No.6431265

>>6427254
Unironically Pokemon. Pokemon games have terrible stories but easily one of the best combat systems in the entire genre, there is a reason both harcore and casual gamers love it.

Also Paper Mario, Super Mario RPG and Mario and Luigi series - they have good stories but also really good combat mechanics.

>> No.6431379

How do we like the Mana remakes (secret and trials) lads? Never played Mana and was going to play these new ones, big ys fan so Trials in particular looks neat with the ys-inspired combat but i heard its too easy and needs a fanmade mod to really hit its potential.

Also to answer the OP: ys

>> No.6431427 [DELETED] 
File: 1.31 MB, 989x1400, xeno.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6428324
/vr/ is for jaded old men who are salty that they can never relive there youth

>> No.6431486

>>6428519
>problem is the gameplay is too easy on these games
which ones? Because SaGa games sure as fuck aren't "too easy" or "not strategically demanding". Here's a quote from the director, Kawazu:
>In regards to 'how difficult' we make the games, that's always something I have trouble balancing the right way. But there are two directions I like to consider. Sometimes a player might stop playing a game because they find it too difficult. But in other cases, players might find a game too simple and stop playing out of boredom. I would rather lean towards the former, where players are more likely to quit because they find a game too difficult rather than quit because a game is too simple.
You may want to try out SaGa Frontier 2, that one's universally seen as the hardest one among them.

>> No.6431493

>>6431379
yeah it's too easy, but it's definitely superior to the original that had dull gameplay and tons of bugs.

>> No.6431530

>>6427254
Stay away from fucking rpg's then, everyone of them is tedious or boring in some way or another. They are designed for sad japanese man that want to commit suicide in those inhumanly tiny citys, unnecesary large games with nothing to offer but awful writting.
Play other genre's if you want to move your fingers decently.

>> No.6431740

>>6427293
the one vision mod is great although I'm not the biggest fan of that horrible phalanx move and no more revive orbs.

>> No.6432787

So I am new to JRPG and I am playing Chrono Trigger.
Why does Giga Gaia kill me everytime?
All my characters are lvl 31.

>> No.6432802

>>6432787
kill his arms with multi targeting dual techs, then focus on the head

>> No.6433836

What’s the best way to play FF1? gba, nes, or psp?

>> No.6433995

>>6427254
>I want to get into RPGs, but don't wan to play any good ones

Well okay then, nigger. I don't think you understand what the word objectively means.

>> No.6434008

>>6427280
Fuck yes anon. Would also add ff1

>> No.6434039

>>6427254
ff3

>> No.6434143

just play D&D Mystara, best jrpg there is

>> No.6434238

>>6427280
I'd also add Lufia II in that list

>> No.6434269

sorry, allegedly not retro, But I am obligated to shill SMT 3 nocturne here. Blind ran it on hard and it was the only JRPG to kick my ass. gameplay is actually challenging even random encounters can filter you if you stop paying attention. There is no lul in gameplay that is filled with story like most JRPGs, no grinding or super easy sections. Story takes a backseat the whole way but is still real good and unique.
If you are legally obligated to play something released before 1999 the snes games are okay same as Persona 2.

>> No.6434319

>>6433836
ps1

>> No.6434320 [DELETED] 

>>6431427
Shit game is shit.

>> No.6434384 [DELETED] 

>>6428324
Shmup trannies are the most bitter faggots you will find.

>> No.6434392

>>6431265
The balance of Pokémon games only got acceptable in generation II, though, and it only got 'good' in generation IV. Even so there's zero requirement to actually learn the mechanics at all because the games are so braindead easy, you'd have to either beat the game and go to the postgame battle facility or play competitive in order to get a taste of what challenging turn-based gameplay is like.

And even then you'll just get wiped by thirteen-year-olds using the exact same cookie cutter sets they copy-pasted from Smogon.

>> No.6434410

>>6433836
Since the other guy didn't explain, PS1 is the version that fixes bugs, but uses the D&D magic charge system from the NES version, while the GBA and PSP versions use the mana system.

>> No.6434424

>>6427774
Treasure of the Rudras's magic system makes my peepee hard.

>> No.6434452

>>6427254
new vegas and skyrim are great jrpgs you’d like

>> No.6434497

>>6427254
But SotN has great gameplay.

>> No.6434538

>>6431265
are you fucking trolling? Pokemon has the most braindead combat out of any JRPG. Pleae gtfo of this thread if you don't know anything about JRPGs.

>> No.6434928

>>6427293
Does One Vision change "blood war" back to "ethnic cleansing?"

>> No.6434940 [DELETED] 

>>6434384
most bitter are ex-shmup players who went back to grinding jarpigs, know who I mean?

>> No.6434945
File: 10 KB, 259x194, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6434928
I forgot about that

>> No.6435690
File: 18 KB, 320x189, AreYouWatchingMeDyne.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This is a good thread. Reminds of the early days of a certain /vg/ general.

>> No.6435738

Is Disgaea a good SRPG?

>> No.6435749

>>6427937
> In real games, you look at the fire-resistant equipment and think "should the obvious lack of stats make up for the resistance?"

It's usually obvious which piece of equipment is superior to another, unless they're both perfectly balanced, in which case it doesn't actually matter which one you use.

>> No.6437679

>objectively bad games
>like New Vegas
>or SotN
>185 replies
Amazing, /vr/ might be the easiest board to troll.

>> No.6438057
File: 115 KB, 599x440, image2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

tfw 3 girls on my P-Pee

>> No.6438253

>>6437679
had you read the entire post then you'd know that this "objectively bad"-part refers to the gameplay, which is true for the games mentioned.

>> No.6438561

>>6431493
great to hear. derekrpg guy on youtube said its his favorite remake ever. i think i will snag that difficulty mod too.

>> No.6438636

Really the only JRPG I've played, not that I've played a ton, that made me say "that's cool" purely from the gameplay mechanics, was valkyrie profile. everything else i've tried has usually been entertaining as an overall package but in terms of what you're actually doing and trying to figure out they're generally pretty basic and geared towards low-skill players who want to watch movies

>> No.6438640

>>6427254
FFT is a strategy game, not a JRPG. Surely you understand that it belongs to a completely different genre than, say, FFVII.

>> No.6438654

>>6427414
One JRPG series includes some games that could be considered a rebuttal to your claims in terms of challenge and complexity.

I don't know if you've played Shin Megami Tensei, Shin Megami Tensei II, Shin Megami Tensei If, Devil Summoner, (retro and ported to 3DS) Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne (PS2 not retro) or Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2. (PS2, not retro) However due to the fusion systems, boss battles and various options and approaches for random encounters they're much more advanced than what you describe which does perfectly describe all the mainline Dragon Quest games and Final Fantasy I - IX.

>> No.6438824

Been playing through PS1 Lunar 1 for the first time (with the Unworked Designs patch) and I'm loving the story and world, difficulty is almost non-existent apart from a couple gotchas. Which version of Lunar 2 should I play?

>> No.6438845

>>6438636
Yeah rpgs are pretty much nerd power fantasies hell I just finished baldurs gate trilogy on hardest setting and game was piss easy.

>> No.6438846

>>6438824
PS

>> No.6438848

TING TING

FUCK SHMUPS
FUCK ARCADES
AND FUCK 1CC

>> No.6438854

>>6438253
not really

>> No.6438860

>>6438824
I love both the SCD and PS1 versions, but PS1 has way more content and the Epilogue is fantastic in that version.

>> No.6438865

>>6427414
I don't get these types of posts. Not only do they not answer the question but also present a very flawed claim. What you are trying to say is that MOST JRPGs have simple gameplay, not all of them. Take this statement, for instance:
>Then 15% is random encounters which you auto-win by mashing (A) strong attack + throwing a heal now and then. Maybe 5% is boss battles which don't pose much challenge besides asking you to pass a level-and-gear check and knowing the basics of the game. So if you didn't skip half the random encounters and forget to update your gear you should crush bosses on your first or second attempts easy
This is clearly referring to a specific JRPG series, probably Final Fantasy, and thus inherently false, as not every JRPG has random encounters (e.g. CT, RS1, RS2, RS3, SF1, SF2, etc.), not every JRPG has encounters that you can beat by just mashing A (RS1, RS2, SF1, SF2, etc.), and not every JRPG has easy boss battles.
It should be evident that OP is looking for a niche JRPG (series) that does not boil down to this simple gameplay loop. Most posters here were able to answer OP's question, save for you. You thought it would be a good idea to point out the obvious; to say something OP is definitely aware of: that most JRPG titles are very easy. Next time, before you post something as non-sensical as this, please think about whether your post adds anything productive to the thread because, at the moment, you are just repeating what has already been said.

>> No.6438974

>>6438846
>>6438860
Thanks for that anons, I saw a Lunar thread a couple weeks ago mentioning that there was gameplay elements cut out in the PS1 release compared to SCD. Is that true and is it significant enough to care about?

>> No.6438979
File: 1.53 MB, 1280x720, 1570855428759.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6438845
>nerd power fantasies
I feel like this happens in a lot of wrpgs, from my experience. Especially the ones which allow you to join these extremist factions. You'll always have these nerds choosing the most extreme factions and living out their power fantasies, just to spend the entire afternoon arguing with other nerds about what the superior faction is. These ideologues are the same people who then LARP as some Anarcho-Bolshevico-Posadist to make up for what they lack the most: individuality.