[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 74 KB, 624x670, 6wi4g0rvnwiz~2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6149482 No.6149482 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else just find RetroArch's user experience way, way too off putting to seriously consider using it? Playnite has the same idea but it's done so much better.

>> No.6149627

Depends on what platform you are emulating on and what you are trying to achieve honestly.
My go to couch setup is PC with a bunch of standalone emulators with a frontend to neatly bridge them all.

There are tons of good frontends out there. I use launchbox currently because it's visually appealing and takes very little effort to configure once you have configured all your standalone emulators to your liking.

>> No.6149640

>>6149482
No. If you are old enough to have nostalgia for /vr/ you have dealt with far worse UI. If you're a child poseur playing retro games for kudos I get it.

>> No.6149656

RetroArch is a rip off of the XMB which is a UI designed for console and mobile devices.

It's a legitimately bad UI for most practical purposes. I don't use it.

>> No.6149676

I'm trying to use it now. Did up my controller bindings but for some reason game gear games won't recognize my start button. Does anyone know how to fix that?

>> No.6149684

>>6149482
No?
Just plug Retroarch cores as emulators in Launchbox if you're having so much trouble

>> No.6149690

>DAE RetroArch XMB????
This fucking thread again? Seriously?
RetroArch is the most effective retard filter in the entirety of retro gaming and I'm glad none of you people know how to customize it to your liking.

>> No.6149698

Retroarch can be a little disorienting at first but after 5 minutes of use you should have it figured out.

Its not the best UI but its manageable and worth the extra features and comforts of retroarch.

>> No.6149852
File: 2.59 MB, 1920x1040, launchbox.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't really like launchbox's grid or retroarch's xmb.
Are there other alternatives that don't look like shit? I've seen some really fancy animated ones like hyperspin or even launchbox's own big box mode but those are too gaudy for me.

>> No.6149870 [DELETED] 

Yeah, RA has a shit interface. Give me a mednafen command prompt and config text file over that shit any day.

>> No.6150157

>>6149852
launchbox is highly customizable if you pony up the cash for premium

emustation looked "pretty" but its a pain in the ass to configure to your liking. commodity wins flashiness any day to me so i stick with (Free) launchbox np

>> No.6150928

>>6149852
Is there one that's meant to be used on PCs with a mouse and keyboard instead of a smartphone or an Android box?

>> No.6150937

>>6149852
Launchbox is afaik the only decent option for keeping most of them in one place.

>> No.6150961

>>6149482
I'm a real hardware and flashcart guy, but retroarch is dead easy as long as you understand what a "core" is. It's not difficult at all, but it does scream emulation on a computer, which it is. If you want "real" and minimal UI, a flashcart is really the best bet. I don't shit on emulation, it's fine, but it is nice using real hardware and a flash cart.

>> No.6151050

Working on build an arcade system for someone - what would be the easiest system for a person that is not familiar with emulation, or just has the lowest bar for getting some games running? I was originally planning on just doing some console emulation, but if whatever option supports MAME or arcade games in general, I can throw that in.

>> No.6151486
File: 103 KB, 640x640, 2nsbvs09twe11.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6149482
a couple of years ago when I didn't know how the fuck to configure retroarch to my liking, I hated it. After watching videos on getting started with retroarch and getting around for a while, I don't mind it too much. I use it mainly on my phone. I still have issues with it though. It doesn't put all my games in a playlist, mainly my PC Engine CD games all have to be loaded by content, and the mednafen core doesn't seem to run ISO files. Hotkey binds have to be set every time I load a new game, which I use for the AI translate service which is also hit-or-miss.

>> No.6151490

That's the only reason I am not using it. Traditional emulators are way easier to use.

>> No.6151520

their controller settings fucking suck so i dont use it

>> No.6151647
File: 30 KB, 1366x768, retroarch_2020-01-23_11-06-09.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Who rgui here?

>> No.6151657

>>6151647
I use this cause I can see it better on my crt.

>> No.6151887

I hate the whole libretro thing, no matter what GUI it's wrapped in. It's supposed to make life easier but turns things more finicky instead, having a separate emulator for every platform is easier if I want to just play games and not maintain a fucking library.
It's bullshit for people that used to rice their media players in the 2000s.

>> No.6151896

>>6150961
>nice
No, it isn't. Real hardware is garbage in comparison to a decent emulator.
>can't save state
>can't turbo
FTFY.

>> No.6152561
File: 18 KB, 224x225, bait8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6151896
Desu, many flashcarts do have save states. How could real hardware be garbage when an emulator purpose is to "emulate" real hardware? Do emulator devs just want to make a product to emulate "garbage"?
I don't really care about turbo, but I'll admit, it would be handy for grindy stuff, but I avoid stuff that's grindy in the first place. Too many good games out there to slog through ones I don't enjoy 90% of the whole package.

I get if someone prefers emulators, but how could playing on real hardware with one cartridge not be nice? There's no clutter and it's literally the real experience. Sure you can say you would prefer emulators with additional features, but a preference doesn't invalidate an alternative method of playing. You sound like a hardwarefag larping as an emufag in order to cast poor B8 M8. No one buys that shit, the only people infighting about emu vs. hardware are trolling or literal autists of which no one cares about their opinion anyway.

>> No.6152565

>>6151050
Probably hyperspin. Once it's set up it's pretty normie proof.

>> No.6152818

>>6149640
BS. I'm 35 and last time I screwed around with RetroArch (after one of those threads where /vr/ convinced me that it's just so worth it to put in the time and get your favorite consoles set up once and for all), I couldn't even figure out how to get it to save my shader settings for NES games globally--for each game it would revert back to the default settings. Every single time I try to get into RA, there's always some new difficulty I face, and complaining about it as I'm doing here only results in being called a brainlet.

But yeah, you're wrong. I grew up with the consoles RA emulates and I have not dealt with far worse UI. It is hands-down the worst, most counterintuitive Windows program I have ever run.

>> No.6152846

>>6152818
In fact, I have to believe that posters like this guy >>6149698 are exaggerating. Whether it's weird controller issues like >>6149676 mentions (by the way, who the fuck uses the word 'binding' for controller setups outside of RA? Name one other emulator that does), shader issues, or the "desktop menu" mode which doesn't seem to have all the features of the fugly fullscreen UI mode and doesn't carry over the shader settings you were using there, it is impossible to not run into problems after 5 minutes of using RA.

>> No.6152864

>>6152818
>>6152846
I agree that RetroArch can be unintuitive in certain areas, but it does have an entire wikis worth of documentation and multiple forums with people discussing issues + the github issues tab.
If you can't figure out how to find those things in a minute or two of using a search engine there is no hope for you. There are standalone emulators that are significantly more complex to use.

>> No.6152868

>>6149482
Not off-putting enough to ignore its benefits.

>> No.6152874

>>6152864
>There are standalone emulators that are significantly more complex to use.
No.

>> No.6153182

>>6149482
Nah, it's fine for TV use.
Doesn't work for a desktop PC, but why would you play console games designed for couch play on an office chair?

>> No.6153453

>>6149482
No. It's great for gen 3-5. If you're not a complete cabbage brained mongoloid it's simple to use.

>> No.6153480

>>6153182
>Doesn't work for a desktop PC
What did he mean by this?

>> No.6153712

>>6151887
>It's supposed to make life easier but turns things more finicky instead, having a separate emulator for every platform is easier
do you even read the dumb shit you write