[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 329 KB, 1600x800, dq.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6148974 No.6148974 [Reply] [Original]

Am I alone in thinking that elements that fast forward makes turn-based players worse?
>Should I grind 2 levels or attempt this next cave at level 10?
>Nah, let's grind them up. Good thing I can fast forward the grind so it will take less than 6 minutes to get there

And fuck the NES games. What about the "modern" SNES and GBC releases of the original Dragon Quest trilogy? Or what about any other JRPG that *supposedly* improves with the addition of fast forward?

I can get behind pressing a button to skip an animation that you watched so many times, like Valkyrie Profile attacks or some summoning spell in Final Fantasy 7 and above. But this is retarded.

I used to think that smart play shortens the grinding because you know what to use and when to use it. Now that getting some extra levels is free real estate, there's no motivation behind making the right choices unless it's about avoid a game over screen.

With fast forward it's easier to opt for grinding instead of taking a gamble to kill a boss that is seemingly stronger than you and yet you can manage because you can play smart.

>> No.6149003

>>6148974
I played Phantasy Star IV with fast forward and FF4.
I was fast-forwarding through 99% of the content because there was literally no thinking, skill or even planning required. The optimal choices were extremely obvious.

Quickly realized the grinding, slow travel and lots of dialogue are there to hypnotize the player into a big timesink.

Fast foward helped me stop playing jrpgs altogether, showed me how empty the whole experience is.

>Now that getting some extra levels is free real estate, there's no motivation behind making the right choices unless it's about avoid a game over screen.
It's a trick. The choices are the same only they take more or less time to unfold.
The fact that a game can be played efficiently and well at 2x, 4x, or 6x the speed just shows you how trivial all the content is.

> With fast forward it's easier to opt for grinding instead of taking a gamble to kill a boss that is seemingly stronger than you and yet you can manage because you can play smart.

There's really no gamble as long as you hit the level/gear check. And if you go unprepared what's the loss? You return back to your savestate....and if you're using an emulator you can have custom savestates. Literally no risk.

>> No.6149797

>>6149003
>Fast foward helped me stop playing jrpgs altogether, showed me how empty the whole experience is.
Hard agree with you. Only reason why I would bother with a "JRPG" now is because I'm also a VNfag and I like anime stories. But the gameplay is hardly gratifying enough without fast forward.

Bless Retroarch for letting me bind fast forward with sound mute on the PS4 trackpad.

>> No.6149828

>>6148974
That only makes sense if you have no interest in enjoying video games and just want to finish as soon as possible. Games like dragon quest are pure shit either way and fast forward does nothing to change that, but any game with substance loses nothing from fast forward.
>grinding
In non-shit games, this exists as a purely optional way for retards to beat games. It's like how some games have a difficulty selection at the start; people who grind are the ones that choose easy mode. Meanwhile, by playing without grinding or picking hard mode you get to enjoy the gameplay. Each fight is like a puzzle where you find the optimal way to utilize your characters to achieve victory. That is what makes the game fun and if you grind you miss out on the entire appeal.

>> No.6149904

>>6148974
>>6149003
>>6149797
>>6149828
Blasphemy thread. May you all burn in hell.

>> No.6149927

Fast-forward is the only way to enjoy jarpigs. E.g. Earthbound has a genuinely good ending, and I'm glad I played it, but I'm not retarded enough to play it at 1x speed. Without fast-forward I would never have experienced its redeeming value.

>> No.6150382

>>6149927
You better not tell me you divorced yourself from the music which is 70% of the experience of the game.

>> No.6150407

Literally every JRPG I play I create a macro to grind to max level in the beginning areas, so I can effortlessly finish the game later. I find it fun.

>> No.6150434

>>6149828
>Games like dragon quest are pure shit either way and fast forward does nothing to change that, but any game with substance loses nothing from fast forward.
Yeah, your retarded claim of "the most popular series in Japan doesn't count because I hate it" doesn't make any sense. Sorry bro.

>> No.6150950

man the nes dq games just need faster walking speed that shit is SLOW

>> No.6150978

>>6148974
>smart play shortens the grinding because you know what to use and when to use it.
This is true. Coupled with fast forwarding grinding essentially feels non-existent. Just because someone uses fast forwarding doesn’t mean they grind excessively. It’s a useful tool that can benefit or hurt the experience, but that’s entirely dependent on how the player uses it.

>> No.6150990

>>6150434
Appeal to popularity. Stellar argument.
Do you also think The Avengers is peak cinema?

>> No.6151049

>I play shmups with invincibility game genie codes
>lol why do people even play these games there's nothing to them

>> No.6151241

>>6151049
As long as I enjoyed the experience, who cares

>> No.6151292

>>6150990
As long as you prefix things with “I think” I don’t give a shit. It’s when faggots say “this piece is media is...” that annoys me. What makes you the arbiter of all things bright and beautiful?

Back on topic, I used to think fast forwarding etc. was a cheat and not the proper way but I’m 37 now with commitments and responsibilities so speeding up battles etc. helps me immensely. I don’t think any optional extras are a bad thing. Blaming your own lack of self control on other people is the mentality of a child.

>> No.6151302
File: 227 KB, 420x420, g.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6151049
>playing jrpgs at 6x fast-forward is the same as being invincible in other games
lmao cope

>> No.6151502

>>6149003
>Fast foward helped me stop playing jrpgs altogether, showed me how empty the whole experience is.

This is wisdom. If you find yourself wanting to fast forward a game it should be a good indication you're wasting your time in the first place.

>> No.6151504

>>6150434
You also must just love Fortnight, Marvel movies and Taylor Swift then.

>> No.6151554

>>6151504
This in itself is a fallacious appeal to authority. None of things you posted are intrinsically or objectively bad and in addition to being massively popular are also critical acclaimed. It's an appeal to authority because you're invoking the 4chan approved opinion that popular things are bad. Community approved echo chamber contrarianism has less arguments value than equating popularity with quality.

>> No.6151604

>>6151554
Of course it's a weak argument, but given the amount that this board complains about the 'wrong' games being popular, you can't seriously think that bringing up the popularity of Dragon Quest would have much merit.

Anyways I wasn't the guy you were arguing with in the first place. DQ bores me to tears, but I get why some people like it. A lot of people don't like the shit I do.

>> No.6151636

>>6149003
I needed to read this.

>> No.6151646

>>6148974

I'm playing through Persona 1 right now and I can tell you that playing it on actual hardware sucks. The speed differences between the characters means that even if you do every random encounter, you'll have certain characters be massively underlevelled. On my current run, it took me almost three hours of grind just to be able to get into negotiation range, since that's based on the average level of the party.

>> No.6151850

>>6151646
Keeping on top of how you use your characters so they don't get their levels out of whack is part of the strategy of the game. I wish more required the player to pay more attention to actions in battles.

>> No.6151905

>>6150382
>70% experience of the game
No, it isn't you blithering moron.

>> No.6151917
File: 1.06 MB, 663x815, plan your battles wisely.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6151850
most people would just whine how it makes the game tedious
same goes for the ineffective attacks from FF1
and then they wonder why the genre devolved into "hold button to win" or the game playing itself like FFXII (or worse they praise it and wish the game played itself right from the start)

>> No.6151991

>>6151917
I'm not denying that people would whine but I still wish more did it. It's why FF2 is one of my favorite games in the series.

>> No.6152603

>>6148974
I've never played with fast-forward, is it just me? I just don't think you need it, I love RPGs and that's it really

>> No.6152789

>>6152603
If you're happy then enjoy. I never have but I also don't play rpgs anymore. If I did for some reason want to play an old one I might use fast forward though Just to make it faster. At this point the genre feels like a time sink and I just don't have that much time any more.