[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 189 KB, 1200x675, acastro_190415_3379_gameboy_emulation_0002.0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5974437 No.5974437 [Reply] [Original]

would it ever be fathomable for big publishers to come to some sort of agreement with the emulation community to allow an internet platform to sell retro titles at a reasonable price while skimming some of the profits to pay proper royalties to the original publishers?

>> No.5974441

>>5974437
FPGA is the future, fuck software emulation.

>> No.5974449

>>5974441
FPGA is still emulation, retard.

>> No.5974454

>>5974437
Maybe, but the publishers don't want this. They're never going to be able to sell their old games for the same price as their new games, and they don't want to have to compete with their own backlog. Using Nintendo as an example, publishers like Nintendo prefer their older games to be scarce, so they can sell the same game over and over again on each successive console's Virtual Console store. Plus, to be compatible with emulators from the "emulation community," they'd have to make the ROM files DRM-free, which they're allergic to. Nintendo also benefit from people believing that the older generations were just Mario, Zelda and Metroid, since it helps their image, so they're unlikely to support a platform where they aren't in total control of the available titles.

In general, you can't rely on the big publishers to preserve their own history. They have no commercial interest in doing so, and they have commercial interest in doing the opposite. It's actually a good thing that the video game preservation community operates in legally-grey and illegal areas, because the legal avenues just aren't compatible.

>> No.5974457

>>5974449
I said software emulation retard, get some reading comprehension.

>> No.5974504

>>5974441
FPGAs don’t let you rewind or internally upscale 3D objects. They may be the future for autistic “muh authenticity” types like you but not for normal people who want the best experience, and for free. They’re just a gimmick to sell for people like you to put on a shelf with your anime dolls and pat yourself on the back when you look at it.

>> No.5974512

>>5974504
>rewind
This is bait

>> No.5974523

>>5974437
You mean like the Switch virtual console? Yes, that would be fathomable.

>>5974512
I'm sure he's serious. This is who we have on /vr/ now and they're representative of the people pushing the retro game market. Happily those types of people are also looked down on by collectors so the value of my long standing collection may not be going up very much any more but it's starting where it's at.

>> No.5974538

>>5974437
Because like Gaben said, piracy is a service problem. You're suggesting an answer to that, but trust me, it's expensive and could never compete. You can download the complete NES no-intro set in seconds, and not even take up a gigabyte. You can search for any rom you want and get it instantly. People probably aren't going to pay $5 per rom, let alone $15 or $25 depending on the game and platform. Obviously selling something like a complete NES romset would be a legal impossibility, even though almost all of the games are as commercially relevant (and publicly available) as a book written 200 years ago. Internet Archive is hosting full rom sets at this point.

It can only really occur and be moderately successful on consoles like Nintendo VC and PS1/2 classics, which isn't even what you're talking about (selling roms on PCs and other devices, as opposed to a propriety console emulation package).

>> No.5974543

>>5974437
They basically already are, and it's highway robbery.
>>5974538
This.

>> No.5974560

Even if you could pull it off, you're immediately facing the "64 mini" problem. Most 3rd party companies would rather retain their rights and pump out collection disks than to be saddled to a platform.

>> No.5974617

>>5974437
"the emulation community", aka young dumb broke highschool kids, has no money and wouldn't pay if they could

>> No.5974623

>>5974617
haha yes those people who emulate are dumb haha

>> No.5974930

>>5974504
If they were really reverse engineering the chips, I'd go with it, but the way they are doing it is just emulation on hardware.

>> No.5974957

>>5974930
What specifically are your complaints about emulation that aren't remedied via FPGA?

>> No.5974981

>>5974957
Hi, “Lazy Eddie”, where do I click to view your profile? I guess you're known the forums haha.

>> No.5974994

>>5974957
It's unnecessary.

>> No.5975092

OP, they're already selling retro titles for play through emulation. They've been doing it for like, 10 years at this point.
But I'm guessing you're actually asking "Will I ever be able to buy roms for my emulators?", and the answer to that is a big fat NOOOOOOOO. Never ever.

They want you to buy the new game for $60 every year, not buy their gigantic old games dirt cheap. If they're going to sell you they're old games, they want to bump up the price to make it worth their while - such as making you re-buy them for every new console generation, or putting a handful of the most popular ones one a cheap little computer with a nice nostalgia-triggering case and charging you $200 for games you already bought 20 years ago on a $30 machine.

Even if by some bizarro one a million miracle some publisher did want to start selling roms, shitloads of games would still be unavailable because so many of those companies are defunct with their IP catalogs sold off to different people or just left floating limbo that even determining who the profits should go to would be nightmare. In some cases, it would literally require a court battle just to determine out who owns what, and in others, it may be outright legally impossible to find out who to pay, which for the niche of retro gamers who *might* be convinced to pay between 50 cents and 5 dollars for the convenience of not having pirate, the effort is just not worth it for anyone.

If you want roms, you are always going to have pirate. There's never going to be another option.

>> No.5975227

>>5974457
Still emulation. It’s not the second coming of Christ, moron.

>> No.5975269

WHAT'S THE DEEEEAL WITH EMULATION? I MEAN ITS SUPPOSED TO EMULATE THE ORIGINAL HARDWARE BUT ITS ALWAYS WORSE!

>> No.5975287

>>5974437
They aren't going to want to sell you a portable rom file. They want to sell you something that is packaged within a container that they can control and make obsolete.

>> No.5975293

>>5974994
It isn't necessary to make a gate-for-gate recreation of the original chips either though.

>>5974981
My reputation speaks for itself

>> No.5975309

>>5975293
>It isn't necessary to make a gate-for-gate recreation
So what's the point?

>> No.5975503

>>5974512
More reasons software is the future? Run ahead type input lag solutions. Ability to run on common consumer hardware. Rom fixes that can't run on original hardware.
>That's not how the devs intended and people will always value authenticity!
It's objectively better and lets people who didn't play growing up enjoy the games more while staying mostly authentic.
>>5974523
Your entire "collection" is worth less than a year of my son's private high school tuition.

>> No.5975517
File: 39 KB, 631x482, soyboy16.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5974504
>rewind or internally upscale 3D objects

>> No.5975528

>>5974504

I guess it's cool to blast the render resolution to 4k and turn on anti aliasing and stuff for PS2/GC

If you hate how the games originally looked and felt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6HonookzqE

>> No.5975534

>>5975309
The point is that it provides potentially near perfect emulation, without the input lag of software emulation, with minimal setting up, at a fraction of the price of a quality emulation PC (even currently, but moreso looking into the future).

>> No.5975535

>>5975309
The point is to have pocketable, cycle-accurate retro games. Something we can't do with emulation at this point.

>>5975503
Your posts don't really add up. I'm sure there are private high schools that have tuition greater than the value of my retro game collection but my intuition tells me your son isn't enrolled in one, if you even have a son.

>> No.5975539

>>5975534
>tfw inb4'd by yourself

>> No.5975553

>>5975528
>felt
>just casually conflates rendering settings with gameplay
And higher resolutions do not change how a game's assets themselves look. It is literally the same game just being displayed to you at a higher resolution. Are you technologically illiterate? If your aim is to just play games you wouldn't care, higher resolution is just more clarity for you to see.

>> No.5975578

>>5975535
It’s his wife’s son.

>> No.5975592

>>5975553

Oh OK thanks for clearing that up man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SS-Gc-pxJM

Come to think of it, yes, seeing it like this pretty much makes it just like I remember from the arcade

It's OK if you feel like you're only getting the most out of older 3D titles after you make them look like current gen "HD Remasters"

Just understand that it's a zoomer impulse for people who weren't around for the games originally and need it to look like a current gen game to even find it playable

>> No.5975596

>>5975578
>and the tuition is being paid by the kid's actually rich father who's upgraded to the new model trophy wife while Anon rationalizes about software emulation while doing his best to feel smug about being a part of a wealthy family even in a cuckold capacity
That adds up better desu

>> No.5975684

>>5975592
For your information, the arcade version of TTT is based off of the Tekken 3 PS1 engine and looks absolutely nothing like the PS2 version in your link.

>> No.5975697

>>5975517
Funnily enough, söy faces are the ones who DEMAND native resolution, 16-bit color dithering, slow down, etc..

>> No.5975740
File: 227 KB, 1200x900, 1528256509668.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5975697
Indeed, it's just projection. And >>5975557 admits why they're like that. They should have their own board called autistic childhood reconstruction. Are they really even interested in retro games for what they are?

>> No.5975745

>>5974504
>i don't know how FPGAs work
Top kek kid. With a large enough FPGA you could literally implement an entire PC with an SSD that contained your favorite emulator that did all that shit. That would be retarded, but not nearly as retarded as you.

>>5974930
>they
"They" are reverse engineering chips and have been for many years. They just aren't the same they that make HDMI hardware memeulation boxes. But the "theys" that make those often use the work of the other "theys" that reverse engineer chips to improve their own work.

>>5975293
It isn't "necessary" to make anything other than a box with the word retro on it and a memeberry inside. But to accurately replicate the original hardware it's often necessary and The Only Way to Be Sure™. This has been demonstrated time and time again with things like MAME where shit ran inaccurately for years until chips were decapped. If you're not not accurately recreating a chip in your hardware clone all you're really doing is making a slightly better clone.

>> No.5975763

>>5974437
why would you ever want this instead of some kind of legal recognition for when a piece of software becomes abandonware

>> No.5975771

>>5974454
>they don't want to have to compete with their own backlog.
This is true in many mediums. DC comics Editorin Chief is mad because their classic collections outsell their newer stuff by a huge margin

>> No.5975790

Unpopular opinion: Companies want to work with fan artists. Fan artists are the ones who make this hard.

Exhibit 1: Software licenses.

Capcom reached out directly to the FBA developer for once, instead of middlemen like Frank Cifaldi's operation (fashioned himself as a professional, is easier to work with, despite his emulation quality falling behind other free emulators)
MAME devs threw a fit Capcom ignored them, and launched a minor controversy, got older contributors to find enough license contradictions between contributions that the project shouldn't even be online let alone fit for commercial use. Then they organized a mass exodus from FBA.

Here's another one. Some developers who worked on free emulators for the PS1 and the NES, N64 and GameCube ended up doing official work directly for Sony and Nintendo for their retro services. They reused some stuff they did before, of course. I'm not naming names, but this occasionally comes up in internal emudev irc/discord discussions.

Many salty developers from these emulators fantasize how since the emulators were relicensed to GPL, then that makes the official emulators illegal, so they could SUE NINTENDO to make the code OPEN SOURCE, with their inside work and all. Then they go on to say the only thing keeping them from this is self-preservation, as they fear N/S could counter-sue and the legality of the emulator, trademark uses, minor nitpicks, is put into question.

But they are more than willing to go these lengths for "lesser companies". Going back to the Capcom story, apparently the way Capcom should have done was to comb themselves through the legal landmine and rewrite legally problematic code themselves. Why would Capcom do this instead of doing it inhouse, porting it from scratch, or hiring M2?

>> No.5975792

>>5975790
Somehow even frontends like Retroarch join the fray, and disparage Sega when they launch a product that didn't use their solution, after negotiations failed (they want the company to go full open source, even if it's against the copyright holder wishes - why you see PC games always with a surface encryption layer to protect IP)
Sure, were I a jap gamedev that's the kind of business partner I would want. Someone who would try to ruin me when things go sour, even for deals that didn't even happen.

The problems with the emulation scene are largely of their own making (except iPhone on PC emulation, which is Apple proactively stomping down and/or buying out anyone who even tries)
Even shit like shadercache legality which drags down current gen emulation was because they were looking for new potential crimes to shut down CEMU (had a more successful patreon than theirs)

The case of byuu is especially tragic beyond his personal politics (unloved by both sides because Clinton criticism, if there's a phony emudev me2 thing brewing he'd be the prime candidate) because so many in the emudev circle are jealous as fuck of him, constantly accusing him of trying to "sell out to companies" for things like consolidating licenses (like CLIs and rewrites where that's not possible, to protect his ass from reasons above). He's just a nerdy autist really good at his stuff. Cut him a break.

>> No.5975808

>>5975745
"They" are making a product that doesn't make sense if you want accuracy, it's nothing than a glorified emulator.

>> No.5975875

>>5975808
Software emulators for popular consoles up to 4th generation are already cycle accurate, they just are inefficient and deal with significant overhead when run on software. Adapting cycle accurate emulators to run in FPGA is a good and natural evolution. Literal recreation of the original hardware isn't something that's going to be fine anytime soon because it's unnecessary. You would not be able to tell the difference. It's something that end users would only want for meaningless dick-measuring and will actually only be done someday decades from now for historical reference.

>> No.5975980

>>5975875
You don't really need cycle accurate emulation. Few games have problems, and most of them are fixed.

>> No.5976021

>>5975745
>With a large enough FPGA you could literally implement an entire PC with an SSD that contained your favorite emulator that did all that shit.
>i-i'm one of "them" please believe me
>w-well technically if you paid even more money for it you could have those features but you wouldn't be able to update them
Just stop trying, faggot. FPGAs aren't letting me overclock or add stacked shaders any time soon. You are the embodiment of cringe.

>> No.5976032

>>5974437
>what is Steam

>> No.5976075

>>5975875
Emulators will still serve a purpose even when we get Star Trek replicator technology on the original chips. That will still be the same old black box that lacks upscaling, save states, rewind, run ahead, overclocking, sprite limit removals, debuggers, netplay and everything else emulators do to make games better than they were originally. The only thing an FPGA gets you over real hardware is direct HDMI output, but at the crazy price they sell them for you're much better off buying an XRGB mini once and being done with it.

>> No.5976106

>>5976075
FPGA also dramatically minimizes input lag and is much more power efficient which is good even if you're not a hippy because it meets you have an accurate console in your pocket with a battery that lasts days

>> No.5976175

>>5976075
Or a OSSC.

>>5976106
That's a good point. But then, you could just emulate on a smartphone.

>> No.5976181

>>5976032
A storefront (bloated) that provides DRM for PC games that means they can be taken away from you at any time.

>> No.5976183

>>5976075
>Being done with it
You avoid the reason people get FPGA shit. So they don't have their real hardware die on them and they are SOL with just games.

>Hasn't happened to me
Cool, the landfills full of dead systems from electrical failure or the system dying from one of tens of impossible to avoid reasons is inevitable.

>> No.5976217
File: 633 KB, 780x582, 1567586758778.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5975517

>> No.5976249

>>5976021
>You are the embodiment of cringe.
The irony is thick, sweet and delicious

>> No.5976271
File: 514 KB, 803x414, FO02_NPC_Dornan_B.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5975227
YOU MOOORON

>> No.5976340

>>5976106
Real hardware doesn't have added input lag either, and emulators have run ahead. I would rather play on a big screen than on a 2" portable, but if you like that sort of thing then sure, buy a $200 Game Boy from Analogue. I don't care how you spend your money.
>>5976183
If it's a Sega CD or Famicom Disk System sure. If it's a Super Nintendo or a Sega Genesis just get another.

>> No.5976358

>>5975503
I've got no issue with those things, but rewind is bait. That's just how it is.

>> No.5976372

>>5974441
Software emulation is cheaper and much easier to update. That's a win-win. GPGA will eventually be left behind. It's a fad.

>> No.5976384

>>5974441
based
it's the only tolerable answer to preservation

>> No.5977065

>>5975790
If you don't like the license, don't use the code.
And don't go around the authors and negotiate with just one dev and screw the rest, either.
Super simple stuff.

>>5975792
>and disparage Sega when they launch a product that didn't use their solution, after negotiations failed (they want the company to go full open source, even if it's against the copyright holder wishes - why you see PC games always with a surface encryption layer to protect IP)
kek really?
oh retroarch, the gift that keeps on giving.

>> No.5977070

>>5974437
Why would I pay for something I can have for free? There is no moral argument to made about paying the original developers, either, as in 90% of /vr/ cases they are no longer associated with the same companies— if they even still exist.

>> No.5977087

>>5977070
Emulation users are illiterate. It's like one of those things in life you can always count on.

>> No.5977136

>>5977087
If you want me to respond literally to the yes/no question of "would it ever be fathomable", then yes, we live in a world of possibilities. It is fathomable that tomorrow the atmosphere turns all at once to helium. I did OP the favor of responding to the substance of the question rather than its literal (and poor) wording, as that is how adults behave.

>> No.5977218

>>5974504
If software can do it I don't know why you wouldn't be able to do the same at the hardware level.

It would like rebuilding the original systems with more capable components.

>> No.5977236

>>5974437
I hope that one day we as an internet community can band together and create a sort of EPA for games.
Right now people are getting their roms off the street and sometimes they're cut with intros and I've seen quite a few PAL games being substituted for the real thing.
I'm genuinely saddened whenever I see a mutilated pre-patched translation split between 40 rars.
It's about time we demand sanitary conditions and have some god-damn respect for the collectors.

>> No.5977367

>>5976340
The Analogue Pocket will supposedly have a dock with HDMI, USB and Bluetooth. MiSTer is already in a console style configuration.

>> No.5977837

>>5976183
But it's just emulation anon.

Just use Retroarch and you're done with.

>> No.5978342

>>5977065
>If you don't like the license, don't use the code.
That's already what's happening.
The Retroarch team was upset that Sega didn't use their code because they didn't like the license, and instead ignored them and developed their own solution.
Even when developers jump through all necessary hoops to use GPL code that requires open sourcing the whole thing, the community still wants to sink them, as seen with them hunting for license violations in some Steam emulated ports of PS1 games that open-sourced the emulator but not the game iso.

The emulation community then goes surprised pikachu when no one from the suits want to entertain their internet drama and expose themselves to legal liabilities.

>And don't go around the authors and negotiate with just one dev and screw the rest, either.
Capcom did everything the right way, as they went to talk with the project maintainer for FBA. It was on the project the responsibility for his mess, the MAME devs dredging up their reused code, and internal team drama that ensued, went public, and gave up more details of the Capcom deal than they wanted to.

That might be for the better.
If emudev's greed is that self-destructive before they can finish a business proposal, and so intense they're jealous of similar shit official products by the same console makers, imagine if they succeed and go professional then try to thin out the "competition".

>> No.5978905

>>5978342
>s seen with them hunting for license violations in some Steam emulated ports of PS1 games that open-sourced the emulator but not the game iso.
insane, got links?
>The emulation community
no such thing, really
>they went to talk with the project maintainer for FBA.
who was giving commercial permission without actually being the position to do so, no?
isn't that why the rest all left and created finalburn neo?

>> No.5978963

>>5978342
>Capcom did everything the right way, as they went to talk with the project maintainer for FBA. It was on the project the responsibility for his mess, the MAME devs dredging up their reused code, and internal team drama that ensued, went public, and gave up more details of the Capcom deal than they wanted to.

Nigga they contacted 1 (one) guy from the team who wasn't in position to license the whole thing to begin with and called it a day. They didn't shtit the right way.

>> No.5979232

>>5978905
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/3bmjlu/steam_rerelease_of_playstation_1_game_n2o/

reddit mob said the company used pcsx-reloaded, and the release is illegal because GPL license
company responded, they actually uploaded the source ahead of release to comply
it has everything even the new achievement system the company developed, but the game is encrypted
salty reddit mob says it's still illegal because the game is encrypted
some haxor extracts the game iso pretty easily
salty reddit mob says the HLE BIOS is a reproduction of Sony's official BIOS, and sony should interfere because this is violating their copyright
they still hound the game as illegal after that for a while on social media

game has loads of licensed music
to release on PSN, game needs to be unchanged and sony is anal about this
so if there are license problems some games are just impossible to release on PSN
probably the reason why this port happened at all

>>5978905
>>5978963
>Capcom
Er no, other developers usually go to the project maintainer, who leads the project. They don't have to be experts with how it works or its git history. A good leader would share all the details with fellow developers, agree on licensing details, profit distribution, anything that needs to get sorted out. Then they get back to the company and agree on a sensible deal for all parties.

That's how it worked out anytime MAME was officially used, or with every single Sega emulation project. Capcom were in the right to assume this was a sensible project run by people in good terms with each other. No question, zero nip publisher won't touch such deals if sorting complicated drama is part of the admission fee. Which is the main point of this thread, "why won't big publishers collaborate more with emulation projects".
That's not even getting into how Capcom, the makers of the CPS3, couldn't just go hostile and full nuclear towards the emulation scene if MAME says they're stealing their CPS emulation.

>> No.5979469

>>5978342
>Steam emulated ports

>> No.5980702

>>5979232
>salty reddit mob says it's still illegal because the game is encrypted
Can't find that part, I guess it's in one of the dozen or so deleted comments. Fuck, I hate leddit.

>They don't have to be experts with how it works
yeah, you do, when you want to sell the stuff.
it's not the first company to trip over the intricacies of OS-licenses either.

>That's not even getting into how Capcom, the makers of the CPS3, couldn't just go hostile and full nuclear towards the emulation scene if MAME says they're stealing their CPS emulation.
Please do, sounds interesting.

>> No.5981018

>>5978342

nice fanfiction bud.

the real story is that they wanted to trick retroarch into relicensing to MIT so that some third world backwater vietnam subsidiary could take it from there.

not only is that an impossibility to relicense with so many contributors, why would anybody do that? they never had any intent to pay. sega is a scummy garbage company mostly used by yakuza to money launder, you go ahead and be in business with those guys if you like.

the games industry is notorious for their tax dodging, illegal gambling schemes (aka lootboxes and selling gambling to children). the games industry has screwed and scammed thousands of contractors in the past. its the last placs to be if you want to earn money, especially japanese devs who dont pay shit.

>> No.5981025

>>5979232

you are such a pathetic corporate toadie.

'capcom did everything right' nigga capcom didnt do jack fucking shit. it was koch media. get your fucking fanfic straight and take capcoms dick outta your mouth.

>> No.5981047

>>5979232
>That's not even getting into how Capcom, the makers of the CPS3,

The same faggots that couldn't even be bothered to preserve it themselves and suicide chipped their own machines.

Without MAME, they'd have jack motherfucking shit to sell right now.

Please anon, I know you're a good corporate dicksucker at Capcom, but try to make it a bit less obvious.

>> No.5981071

>>5979232
>That's not even getting into how Capcom, the makers of the CPS3, couldn't just go hostile and full nuclear towards the emulation scene if MAME says they're stealing their CPS emulation.
Err... how? Emulation has already been proven legal in court, all that's left is shutting down rom sites, which has been going since day one (with particular zeal by Nintendo). All the code is already out there and CPS3 in particular just got pretty much perfected in MAME in the last month or so. What could Capcom even do?

>> No.5981073

>>5981071

Nothing, he has Capcom's cum in his mouth and is feelin' himself.

>> No.5981074

>>5981018
>>5981025
>>5981047
Hi Daniel.

>> No.5981078

>>5974437

The autistic beta male nerds in this industry that bootlick for their precious 'industry' even though they get paid less than what a streamer makes in a month has to be seen to be believed.

If you want to make money anon, go indie, strike it gold with a Minecraft or Undertale, that's the only way. Any other path in the games industry just leads to exploitation, being underpaid, and eventually redundancied away.

It's a scam industry.

>> No.5981085

>>5978342
>Capcom did everything the right way

Capcom had nothing to do with it retard.

Koch Media grabbed a license by Capcom for some games to put on a crappy Pi arcade stick, then they went on to forge this illegal contract with Barry Harris.

Koch Media is one of the scummiest and notorious companies in this already slimy business. They've done way worse than this 'bad faith' operation with the lone FBA rogue dev.

I repeat again, Capcom had zero involvement in this beyond just taking some money for whoring out some of its licenses, this entire product is Deep Silver/Koch Media all the way, hence why it's such a clusterfuck

'did everything right' my ass. Stop talking about things you know nothing about.

>> No.5981097

>>5979232

> That's not even getting into how Capcom, the makers of the CPS3, couldn't just go hostile and full nuclear towards the emulation scene if MAME says they're stealing their CPS emulation.

Anon, there's these things called patents, and stuff from 1996 has long since expired or lost their sell-by date by now.

Furthermore, the majority of CPS3 is off-the-shelf garbage truck hardware at this point. The only thing possibly patentable there is their suicide chips which were a con perpetrated on the arcade operator in the end - now if there isn't a class-action lawsuit in the making there if arcade operators knew how to play it right.

You can bet your ass that Capcom won't be trying to exercise their CPS muscle anytime soon if only because of how badly they screwed and defrauded arcade operators willingly and maliciously over the years.

>> No.5981138

>>5974437

This industry sucks, especially the 'big publishers'. It's in everybody's interest they have as little say in this scene as possible, since their entire intent is profit and selling you the same shit over and over again.

The emulation community would not have gotten this far were it up to this crappy industry. It'd be nothing but NES/SNES Mini cash grabs, and possibly completely proprietary closed source emulators everywhere.

They're currently having a field day ripping off open source emulators with zero compensation like a true scam industry would, but that is still preferable over having a landscape where they'd own all the engineers and everything would be completely in their hands.

If it were up to them, you'd get something similar like that Doom 1/2 rerelease - 'log on with your Bethesda account before you can play a 30 year old game'. No thanks.

An industry ruled by private equity firms and shareholders that devalue the medium itself and just castrate it more and more with microtransactions deserves to go down. Blizzard is already going down and things aren't looking too hot for Ubisoft too so it seems this industry is being successful cannibalizing and destroying itself right now. Good riddance. Don't let them take retro emulation down with them too.

>> No.5981182

>>5975792

> Somehow even frontends like Retroarch join the fray, and disparage Sega when they launch a product that didn't use their solution, after negotiations failed (they want the company to go full open source, even if it's against the copyright holder wishes

Read the interview snippets with Eurogamer/Digital Foundry, you are completely lying about what the situation is. The situation was that they wanted RetroArch to relicense to MIT so that they'd have nothing but their eyes to cry with. With MIT, any company can completely hard fork your project, trademark it, copyright it, patent it, and pretend it's their own solution.

It's impossible to get all contributors together to sign off on a license switch even if they wanted to, and second, why would anybody do that? So some Vietnam subsidiary can pretend they 'invented' something and they can make all sorts of lucrative sublicensing contracts with other companies?

If the only way to work with a company is 'give up all your copyright and all your rights and maybe then we'll give you free exposure', you'd be an idiot to accept that offer. There was never any money on the table to begin with.

Besides, the only reason why people even talked about the situation was because Sega Forever sucked - their own solution was some horrible Genesis emulator with horrible sound running in a Java layer. So yeah, they went with their own solution, but it sucked donkey dick and Sega Forever is essentially dead now in its current form.

Besides, Sega was just being stupid - Capcom/Koch Media is straight up using RetroArch now without having even consulted Libretro/RetroArch and technically as per the GPL, as long as they release the source when a binary is being distributed, there's nothing anybody at RetroArch/Libretro can do about it. And it's very unlikely anybody at Koch Media even made a single edit to it, since the entire intent of these products are literal cash grabs with zero effort.

>> No.5981194

>>5975790
>Unpopular opinion: Companies want to work with fan artists. Fan artists are the ones who make this hard.

I'll edit this for you -

"Companies want to work with fan artists as long as their code cannot be openly stolen and used for free. If you can just take it, they will do it"

That's the only reason they even bothered contacting Barry Harris, and they couldn't even get that part right. But then again, noncommercial proprietary licenses like that are pretty much unenforcable and that the project is dead now as a result of the license being worthless for practical purposes. Jealousy over who the money should go to in the case of a license deal would always split it apart.

>> No.5981196

>>5974437
fuck off jerry seinfield

>> No.5981207

>>5974437
Why the fuck would anyone want that, so you can pay to say you're using it legally? The entire point of copyright is so that artists get their fair share, nothing you pay will go towards them so forget it.

>> No.5981227

>>5981207

indeed, it doesn't even go to the studio manager. Nobody in the original development process gets a single cent out of it.

The 1940s Hollywood system model that the game industry is still using (where every developer is a 'contractor', can be fired at any time, doesn't own any rights on the software they make) really needs breaking up badly. Then again, fewer and fewer of the standout games coming out are AAA for this reason.

But publishers still tend to screw the creators out of any ownership rights and will then get the chance to resell their works for perpetuity for the next odd few decades.

>> No.5981343

>>5975227
You realized you were wrong but still want to press your argument which no one asked for, just so you don't appear dumb.