[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 193 KB, 640x836, 593714_front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5904339 No.5904339 [Reply] [Original]

It's time for us gentlemen to discuss this precious little game.

>> No.5904348

>>5904339
Based Redneck Rampage Japanese version box poster.

>> No.5904440

>be 12
>summer break
>Dad buys RedNeck Rampage full collection off discount bin at Target
>gives to me on my birthday
>Play game all summer long drinking rootbeer, eating pork rinds and cow pies pretending I'm in the game.

>> No.5904450

>>5904440
Highly glorious

>> No.5904474
File: 55 KB, 348x313, guess_I_haul_ass.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>be Eurofag
>love everything FPS
>play demo from magazine coverdisc
>immediately mail order US version
>family and friends give me funny looks
>give zero fucks
>still love the game

>> No.5904575

I'm a fan of any protagonist who implies he raped men in prison.

>> No.5904651

>>5904575
>why don't you bend over boy, see if i recognize you from prison

>> No.5904729
File: 12 KB, 259x195, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5904339
>warm carefree soulful 1997 summer as a kid
>my birthday is soon
>I suspect that my crazy cousin will buy me my first pc cause he's loaded
>the big day comes
>of course it's a pentium 166 mmx with ati rage graphics which is fucking hi-end at the time
>he boots it up
>he says he preinstalled this awesomely funny amazing game he just can't stop playing and it's awfully comical
>he boots up redneck rampage
>after years of seeing mario and yoshi in cloudy mushroom kingdom I see hillbillies getting run over by pickups and pigs getting blown up to fleshy pieces by dynamite sticks
>"yeee-hawww!"
>my mother comes in
>she's terrified and petrified
>"what the hell is this?! turn it off!"
>a humongous shitstorm commences
>my crazy cousin becomes a public enemy
>my parents control when I can play computer for the next year
>every time they don't or can't see I'm playing the shit out of Redneck Rampage
>becomes my fav fps for years even though every single csfag and doomfag and even dukefag laughs and points at me
>>5904440
absolutely based and comfypilled

>> No.5904842

Why are half the levels good and half shit? Different designers?

>> No.5904906

>>5904339
As a kid I really liked this game and thought it was on par with Duke 3D, but having returned to it as an adult it just feels like utter shit. Tips for enjoying this? Should I just power through the first few levels? Maybe skip them entirely?

>> No.5904960

>>5904842
define good and shit levels in RR
it's always interesting to see how some people shit on my fav maps

>> No.5905041

Possibly the most underrated series ever.

>> No.5905323

I have a few physical copies of this game, damn I wish games were still sold physical only

>> No.5905390

>>5904339
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5fWpq0LDXM8&list=PLD5D8D2060FDE9357&index=1

Time to get the boomstick.

>> No.5906360

>>5904960

Not OP, but I think he was refering to those awful sewer levels where you'd just get lost in and waste all your health/inventory. I remember getting so pissed I used the clipping code.

>> No.5906425

>>5904842
Yes. There was someone in Build general who even identified who did what and from what I remember, there were three guys working on levels: one was absolute god, other an okay mapmaker and the third one was a tunahead.
>>5906360
What's funny about sewer level is that you can skip 90% of it, if you know where to go.

>> No.5906439 [DELETED] 

>>5906425
> There was someone in Build general who even identified

yeah and I believe he got it mostly wrong.

I for one believe that all the best levels are by Mal Blackwell; and that Alex Mayberry, the lead level designer, wasn't as good.

Reasons:
>some design cues are by on an idea level; meaning the guy(s) in a position to have the main mechanics be based on their ideas could do crap things
>if you look at the credits of Kingpin, Blackwell took Mayberry's place as lead level designer. Mayberry was given "story", but it's a video game, so that doesn't sound like a promotion. Meanwhile, Kingpin's level design, even on an "idea" level, doesn't have the kind of crap RR could have.

Rides Again is a different story however. Both level designers seem to be good, though I believe Barber was capable of greater techincal feats, I can't prove it, it's just a hunch.

P.S:
R.I.P Andrew Markham, we love your games

>> No.5906441

>>5906425
> There was someone in Build general who even identified

yeah and I believe he got it mostly wrong.

I for one believe that all the best levels are by Mal Blackwell; and that Alex Mayberry, the lead level designer, wasn't as good.

Reasons:
>some design cues are bad on an idea level; meaning the guy(s) in a position to have the main mechanics be based on their ideas could do crap things
>if you look at the credits of Kingpin, Blackwell took Mayberry's place as lead level designer. Mayberry was given "story", but it's a video game, so that doesn't sound like a promotion. Meanwhile, Kingpin's level design, even on an "idea" level, doesn't have the kind of crap RR could have.

Rides Again is a different story however. Both level designers seem to be good, though I believe Barber was capable of greater techincal feats, I can't prove it, it's just a hunch.

P.S:
R.I.P Andrew Markham, we love your games

>> No.5906446
File: 14 KB, 108x192, Skinny_old_coot_frame_1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm gonna getcha boy