[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 192 KB, 900x1200, Dx0NcdV4AAdWok.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5754405 No.5754405 [Reply] [Original]

JRPG thread, a thread for discussing JRPGs

>What is your favorite JRPG
>What have you been playing
>What JRPG did you hate

>> No.5754534

>Favorite JRPG
Final Fantasy IX
>Currently Playing
It's not retro so if I say I could risk getting killed. Planning to play some retro DQ or Tales when I get the time though.
>What JRPG did you hate?
Final Fantasy II, Earthbound

>> No.5754582

>>5754534
Whats wrong with Earthbound

>> No.5754593

>>5754582
Not basic bitch enough. FFIX is more my speed.

>> No.5754615

My favorite is SaGa Frontier 2. Beautiful game with great cast and top art direction. Battle system is really refined from older SaGas.

Right now I've been meaning to play Ogre Battle for my first time, once my chink Everdrive gets in the mail.

I don't hate games but with the SNES Breath of Fires I wasn't able to enjoy them at all. Too dull, bland and boring.

>> No.5754643

>>5754405
>cringe

>> No.5754662

>favorite JRPG
SNES is Romancing SaGa 2 and it's not even close. PSX is FF9.
>currently playing
DQ4 on DS in Japanese. I haven't played it since I finished chapter 2, but I've really been enjoying it. Gonna play Metal Max 2 REloaded after, probably.
>what JRPG did you hate
Honestly, I don't think I've ever played one that I seriously hated. There've been games that I wasn't into, but even then I can usually tell "oh this just isn't for me but I bet the people it's directed at liked it."

>> No.5754669

>>5754582
I am currently playing Earth Bound for the first time. It is ok so far, but I kind of don't understand the hype. Maybe I am just a pleb or not paying enough attention to the finer details. What did you like about it most? I am at the Winters part, where you get the new character to rescue the other 2 from zombies.

>> No.5754672

>>5754405
Im playing ff nes. Kinda sad a tiny peice chipped off my mini.

>> No.5754678
File: 22 KB, 440x360, 1268518027831.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5754405
FFIX
Nothing, because I'm 34 and I'm losing my dopamine ;_; (don't do speed kids!)
Dragon Quest 1, but I respect its place in history

Seriously, my lack of motivation these days fucking sucks. I played FFVII last year and made it up to the point where you change from disc 2 to 3, and just lost all interest.

>> No.5754687

>>5754678
I had this issue when I was a teen, dropped tons of rpgs right at the end. FFVIII, FFIX, Tales of the Abyss and Legendia, MS Saga, Megaman X Command Mission, and many others.

Once I started playing RPGs that were more fast paced and wouldn't let me deviate into sinking tons of time grinding or searching for items, I managed to beat them really fast and complete them without losing momentum.

>> No.5754689
File: 22 KB, 418x211, animation_debut8-article_image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Favorite
Probably FFVI so far, but playing through the Square/Enix back catalogue so that could change
>Current
SaGa (FFL) 2, kinda dull but doing it for historical reasons
>Hate
SaGa 1 due to its shitty encounter system, Dragon Quest II because of strange jigs

>> No.5754695

>play 30 hours of a JRPG
>put it down for a month
>come back
>don't remember what was going on
>"guess i'll start over"
who else

>> No.5754708

>>5754695
>play JRPG
Can't say I sympathize, because I'm not gay.

>> No.5754729
File: 58 KB, 286x402, dang ol reaction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5754687
Even fast-paced games are boring these days.
My dopamine receptors have taken a beating over the years. I'll bet mst competitive gamers and speedrunners have no idea what horror awaits them as they age. Boredom.

>> No.5754752
File: 35 KB, 433x436, aya brea.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5754405
>Favorite JRPG
Parasite Eve
>Currently Playing
Seiken Densetsu 3, the graphics are really stunning for a SNES game, and I like the combat so far as well.
>JRPG I hate
Ironic since I'm playing Seiken Densestu 3, but damn, I really did not like Secret of Mana at all, it was legitimately a pain to play through especially after a certain point.

>> No.5754852

>>5754695
I dont start over. I picked up earthbound again after 7 years and beat it. Just need to play a little to get back Into the swing of things.

>> No.5755445

>>5754669
It's lighthearted, funny, every character is horribly inept which is both funny and makes you feel powerful and important. The combat isn't about being deep and consistently engaging you, it's more about not getting in your way, and there's plenty of options to avoid battles. This is why it tends to have a large non-JRPG following and why the game tends to not be included as part of any strict genre. Yet this simplicity never gets in the way of anything, it doesn't feel simple.

The graphics are distinct and instantly recognized, which can't be said of all JRPGs.
It's also never a fake world or one you can't imagine exists, you're very much in a real country that sort of feels like a Japanese person's perspective of America, but then switches to a very foreign place in the world to capture a sense of wonder.

The game is never too deep or too simplistic, it sort of juggles a very typical kid's movie on top of themes of alienation, losing loved ones, the price of sacrifice, the importance of social cohesion, as well as the dangers of comfort, and the fact that every obstacle in life is made infinitely larger than it turns out to be.

Not liking Earthbound is completely fine though, it's a cult classic for a reason, a small following consider it one of the best games ever, but not everyone feels the same way.
Hell disliking any popular game, even when it's not a cult classic is fine.

>> No.5755457

>Favorite
Gonna be Pleb Fantasy 7 sorry dad
>Playing
Phantasy Star 2. It sucks dick.
>Hate
Uhh... Phantasy Star 2.

>> No.5755615
File: 105 KB, 500x338, ctrl-alt-del-by-tim-buckley-you-hear-about-video-games-misinformationalized-2481708.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Playing Star Ocean 2, is it good?

>> No.5755629

>favorite
Do SRPGs count? If so FFTactics. If not Suikoden II
>what have you been playing
Alundra
>what JRPG did you hate
Xenogears

>> No.5755686

>>5754405
>Favorite
Valkyrie Profile
>Playing
FF Mystic Quest and a non-retro Pokémon
>Hate
I'm not really into Fire Emblem. Not that I hate it.

>> No.5755749
File: 50 KB, 640x480, 8-Breath_of_Fire_IV_02222[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5754405
Cool. A Jar Pig thread.
>Fav
Breath of Fire 4, because of its presentation. Final Fantasy 5 and Tactics Ogre (It counts) are close runner ups.
>Currently playing
Saga Frontier 2. I decided to take the time to read some of the mechanics and I've taken a liking of the sparking and leveling up separate skills. Before that I was going around with Saga Frontier and stopped for a moment on Red's scenario after playing through other five.
>Hate
I didn't like FF6 that much but I should pick it back someday. And I didn't have the patience for Dragon Quest 7, but maybe that's because my emulator some years ago started to have sound hiccups and I dropped it.

>> No.5756226

>>5754695
>a month

Fuck, /vr/ is old. People already suffering from Alzheimer's and shit.

>> No.5756231

Wouldn't a jrpg general like this be better on /vg/ instead?

>> No.5756247

>>5756231
Generals by their nature are repeating; this thread seems to be a one-off to me. Also, there are regular Doom threads here.

>> No.5756464
File: 1.87 MB, 4032x3024, vy4fjiec1xpz.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5756247
I'd like to have regular retro JRPG threads if there's demand for it, otherwise a one-off is fine too.

>> No.5756534

>>5754405
Chrono Trigger, FF VI, Rudra no Hihou, SMT I, Valkyrie Profile... It's damn hard to pick one.
DQV right now. Just got Ra's Mirror. It's alright. I'm enjoying the story but I hate using monster party members instead of humans.
>What JRPG did you hate
Not sure. But I tried playing Earthbound some time ago and I thought it's disappointing. Not bad per se, just kinda meh. I expected more from it. Although, considering that I had a blast with FF Mystic Quest, maybe I just have shit taste.

>> No.5756582

>>5756534
I'm repeating myself here, but Earthbound deserves the cult classic title that it has.
I love it, but fans play it off as if it should be considered one of the greats by everyone, and shill the game pretty hard to a broad audience that will be disappointed when they play it.

>> No.5758063

>>5754405
Final Fantasy IX, Vagrant Story.
Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy III.
>What JRPG did you hate
Dragon Quest, Final Fantasy, Final Fantasy II.

To me there's three kinds of RPGs: the ones you play for the freedom (western RPGs such as Fallout), the ones you play for the story (Japanese RPGs like Chrono Trigger and western RPGs like Mass Effect), and dungeon crawlers (Wizardry, Etrian Odyssey). Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy don't fit these templates.

- Dragon Quest has no worthwhile story. Some people claim DQI-II-III have a great story, but I suspect this is heavily biased towards Dragon Quest III, as Dragon Quest's story feels very much like one of those simple background stories given in cRPG manuals to flesh out the world, and yet, the true background story (that of Roto/Loto/Erdrick) is what you end up fleshing out in Dragon Quest III.
- Dragon Quest's gameplay is also very basic, and grinding or not the game simply has zero replayability from a mechanical point of view.
- Dragon Quest isn't a dungeon crawler either, there's no mapping that needs to be done.

- When talking about JRPG stories, I've noticed most people place more emphasis in what you see and do than the story itself. And Final Fantasy is proof that an otherwise extremely simple story (go to each dungeon, kill evil Fiend, travel back in time and kill even stronger enemy) is made more interesting by having the player go through different places and obtaining different items. But it still is a very basic story.
- The gameplay is more complex than that of Dragon Quest, but it has the same grinding issue (albeit VERY toned down, as I was able to at least make it to the end game whereas I gave up halfway through Dragon Quest), and at the end of the day the gameplay is so boring the class system isn't enough to justify replaying the game.
- Again, not a dungeon crawler in the sense of Wizardry.

cont.

>> No.5758069

>>5758063
Final Fantasy II had a stronger start than Final Fantasy, with a more cinematic approach. But then I fought around 20 fights and saw its awful stat mechanics and how enemies vastly overpowered you if you walk a few tiles too far, as opposed to Dragon Quest's approach which relied on bridges to give players a visual cue that maybe they shouldn't cross them if they weren't ready for a challenge.

Overall I feel like JRPGs are heavily biased towards the story side of things, so it makes sense to me that the JRPGs I like the most are FFIX and Vagrant Story, which are the pinnacle of JRPG storytelling (party based, banter, character development and relations) and videogame storytelling (nuanced, engaging, using very few cutscenes and dialogue compared to other RPGs), period.

>> No.5758613

I've lots of favorites, so I can't choose just one.
Not playing anything right now.
Not retro, but I've never been a fan of the Disgaea series.

>> No.5758635

>>5758063
I VASTLY prefer FF1 over dungeon crawlers. I just hate mapping and I hate the first-person style. FF1 is the perfect gameplay-focused RPG for someone like me.

>> No.5758752

>Favorite
FFVI, Persona 2
>Currently Playing
FFV, Persona 3, Secret of Mana
>What JRPG did you hate?
Dragon Quest saga in general, not that I hate them, but there is something I don't like

>> No.5758802

>>5758635
Good post. There's something about FFI that really clicks with me, too. Not that I hate first person RPGs but I prefer them 3rd person in side view at least.

>> No.5758896

>>5754708
>not gay.
Fag

>> No.5759589

>>5758063
>>5758069
You and I have similar tastes when it comes to what style of RPG is the most engaging and why [FFIX is also my favorite and a huge reason why I got into the genre]. At the same time though, I can understand why there's such a following behind the early FF and DQ games; i'd say that they're still very much jrpgs, just conceived in the genre's early stages when it took a lot of cues from tabletop gaming and tolkien and the like. In any case though, while they might not be jrpgs at their zenith, they're the genre in its purest form, a genuine journey similar to actual roleplaying, with exploration and not much else. Maybe a hollow experience but a very undistilled no bullshit approach at the same time.

The genre cannot exist without the journey and it's a crucial core part of any good jrpg no matter how much flair and nuance it has otherwise. the journey out of midgar turns FF7 from an interesting game into a captivating one, with the distinction between the decaying hub city and the natural world put before the player's eyes. on the other hand, games like xenogears that treat the player's journey as a formality fail pretty badly in this regard, and despite the game being pretty upfront about its nihilism, the fact that a lot of the initial scenario means absolutely nothing never really sits right.

i'd say ffv kind of represents the peak of this style of game though. it carries over a lot of improvements from iv [imo THE game that started to buck the trend of jrpgs 'evolving' into what we know them as] and synthesizes them with the roleplaying and hero's journey aspect of i and iii. so even while you have bartz and his crew, it does feel like an honest campaign that never tries to be too showy and gives a lot of agency to the player.

>> No.5759632

Dragon Quest 7
Dragon Quest 4 NES
>What JRPG did you hate
Final Fantasy 3

>> No.5759659

>>5758063
The charm of dragon quest is a chill game to immerse yourself into the world while enjoying the silly interactions with characters and reading the notes on the bookshelves and snooping around for secret powerful items. I could see people not enjoying it because they are sometimes on the easier side and mechanically rather basic. The enjoyment for me comes from having something relaxing and lighthearted to mess around with and kind of sink into the goofy world

>> No.5759684

I'm playing Tales of Destiny right now but finding it pretty dull. Combat is pretty bit on and easy and the only thing I'm enjoying is the characters. Are Phantasia and Eternia worth playing or are they more of the same? Otherwise i might just jump to Symphonia next

>> No.5759686

>>5759589
>it carries over a lot of improvements from iv [imo THE game that started to buck the trend of jrpgs 'evolving' into what we know them as
pretty good post, but this line made me feel like i had to respond. dq4 did pretty much everything ff4 does with regard to increasing the amount of story in the genre.

>> No.5759694

>>5759684
Tales franchise is 99% the exact same game with slightly different gameplay each time. It's a series so desperate to try recreating the success Phantasia had all those years ago that to this day they're still retelling the exact same story over and over and over again. There are a few changes here and there, but the broad strokes are exactly the same in 99% of them with very few exceptions.
That having been said, the combat is where they shine and what makes them worth playing, but even that can burn you out. Phantasia is a must play purely for historical value and because it sets up 99% of the callbacks in the sequels (play the PSX version with the most recent patch by Cless), and Eternia's neat because the battles are a lot faster paced (magic no longer freezes everything!).

>> No.5759839

>fave
Shining Force 1, Phantasy Star IV
>playing
Got a copy of Linda Cube Kanzenban on the way.
>hate
Don't hate but really couldn't get into Earthbound at all when I tried it.

>> No.5760319

>>5754695
Nah I just keep trucking through. This happened to me with chronic trigger where I played all the way to the black omen and then dropped it for 2 years and then one night I was like okay let’s beat this game

>> No.5760383
File: 37 KB, 1026x991, DQ4 END.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5759632
And finished

>> No.5760384

>>5759684
I agree with the other anon. Eternia was a very good pick. Combat was cool, graphics are very nice, and I liked all of the characters. But I'm also a huge fucking weeaboo so you might not like them. I don't remember the story though.

>> No.5760404

>>5760384
Oh an I might as well showcase my shit taste
Mother 3, I'm surprised more people haven't mentioned it.
I haven't played anything retro in a while. Oldest is a PS2 game ported to PC.
>What JRPG did you hate
Oddly enough, Earthbound. I've tried to play it twice and both times I drop it right around the ghost tunnel. I can watch a playthrough no problem because the world/story is very good but the game itself as a game is too boring.

>> No.5760519

Are we allowed to talk about GBA JRPGs or are the mods here still living in the delusion that it is 2006?

Because right now all I'm playing is Battle Network and it's amazing.

>> No.5760591

>>5754405
>>What is your favorite JRPG
SaGa Frontier
>>What have you been playing
Earthbound
>>What JRPG did you hate
maybe not hate, but I was very disappointed by Final Fantasy 3 and how it handled the job system

>> No.5760601

>>5760519
GBA is not retro because it's not arcade, having said that, BW is amazing.

>> No.5760635

>>5760519
As long as they are remakes/ports of retro games.

>> No.5760660

>>5754695
Yeah I used to get this a lot. Especially the older games that don't remind you of where you need to be going. I'd spend an hour or so wandering round trying to find the next destination and usually just give up! I try and strategically save somewhere obvious now if I feel I'm not going to play for a little while. Then I get put off picking it up again.

>> No.5760670

>>5760660
>I try and strategically save somewhere obvious now if I feel I'm not going to play for a little while
I just do this all the time. I'll save right in front of a place that I know is my destination so whether I come back to the game in a couple hours or a couple weeks, I won't have any issue with what I was doing and be greeted with story related stuff to catch me up to speed.

>> No.5760702

>>5754678
>Seriously, my lack of motivation these days fucking sucks. I played FFVII last year and made it up to the point where you change from disc 2 to 3, and just lost all interest.

If you need motivational speeches to play games it's time to take a break because you're burned out.

>> No.5760901
File: 226 KB, 600x800, 1561320648368.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What retro JRPG games do you jarpiggies consider a hidden gem?

>> No.5761102

>>5760901
Arc the Lad II.

>> No.5761340
File: 106 KB, 800x792, 437219-arc-the-lad-ii-playstation-extras.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5761102
This series is criminally underrated in the West. Probably because it came out so late, I think after the ps2 has launched. If it had been brought over in 97/98 it probably would've been more popular.

Also make sure to play Arc 1 before 2. 1 is only like a 10 hour game, but it's pretty much all set up for 2 which is just an immense game. They released the trilogy in a single box set when it came to the West which was smart, because 1 is basically the prologue to 2.

I liked 3 as well but it wasn't as directly connected with the other two and was much lower stakes. The first ps2 game was pretty good too, shame they fucked up the second ps2 game and switched it to generic hack and slash.

But yeah. Arc 1 and 2 are essential PS1 JRPGs.

>> No.5761596

>>5754405
Final Fantasy 6
Dragon Quest IX, loved every minute of it
>>What JRPG did you hate
I guess i hate the Cringe-OCD guy at >>5754643

YOU ARE NO FUN CRINGE OCD GUY

>> No.5761608
File: 2.07 MB, 1995x1450, chronotrigger_scene_08.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Chrono Trigger or FFVII.
FFVIII. It still looks and plays fantastic.
>What JRPG did you hate
FFIX. If anyone says FFIX is their favourite JRPG, it's a massive red flag honestly.

>> No.5761616

>>5758063
Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy are dungeon crawlers. The difference being that instead of mapping, it's more about making sure you go into them with enough levels and items to make it to the end. If you go into any dungeon unprepared, you will slowly run out of resources and die. Notice how this aspect started disappearing from Final Fantasy as the series became more story-focused.

>> No.5761619

Dual orb II

>> No.5761630

>>5761608
>likes FF7
>complains about 9 being a red flag
Found the retard.

>> No.5761647

>>5761630
Enjoy your phony representation of what made old school JRPGs great.

>> No.5761774

>>5761608
>>5761647
Imagine being brainlet enough to fall for the "FFIX is a rehash" meme lmao

>> No.5761823

>>5761630
>>5761647
I agree that 9 sucks

>> No.5761856

>>5761823
Shut the fuck up, sonic.

>> No.5761885

>>5754405

Final Fantasy 5
Recently quit Dragon Quest 3 (end of game) and Dragon Quest 7 (after Dharma)
>What JRPG did you hate
Final Fantasy 7

>> No.5761896

>>5755749

can you play BOF4 without playing 1-3?

>> No.5761906

>>5759659
>The charm of dragon quest is a chill game to immerse yourself into the world while enjoying the silly interactions with characters and reading the notes on the bookshelves

yeah

>and snooping around for secret powerful items

LOL no, 50 hours into a game, you open a chest and it's 10 gold or a leather hat or a fucking tiny medal. Most pots/closets/chests are garbage and even when you get a weapon it's just a stat increase

>> No.5762017

>>5754405
1: ff6..not the best but it's one of the few besides crono trigger I go back to and replay thru every other year.
2: phantasie I on c64
3: i didnt hate it but I lost interest in ff7 and never went back tho I keep meaning to replay it

>> No.5762039

>>5761906
It's less about the items you get (unless you are planning on getting every small metals) and more to just to get you to visit towns you most likely haven't been too in days or maybe even weeks. Part of the charming calm adventure to get you to to think back at all the things you done up to that point.

Would be nice if the stuff they put there wasn't shit like herbs or 100 gold. But that's not really the point of it.

>> No.5762043

>>5754405
>fav = final fantasy 6
>currently playing> magic knight rayearth sfc
>hated I dont hate but I really didnt like chrono cross but I know its cuz I thought it was a crono trigger sequal. got it in my queue to replay thru this year since it's been so long.

>> No.5762073

I would be beating a dead horse saying how much I adore FFIX. It's just a RPG that I can play over and over again and I never feel like it's getting boring or unoriginal.
Earthbound, which was a fun game although I understand why people don't like it. Recently played the gba remake of ffV. Damn the job system in 5 was just incredible.
>What JRPG did you hate
Mother 1 was just bad, like the peanuts look is fine but shit like mt itoi made me hate it. FFII was one of the worse games ive ever played and ff3 job system was just really lacking in all honesty. Won't lie there's not that much good nes rpg's except some DQ games but even with DQ the 2nd game wasn't good either. It's kinda sad too because I fairly do appreciate the nes and it's sad that rpg's were just shitty on it.

>> No.5762119

>>5762039

why would putting shit in pots make you go back to old towns?

DQ3 was the only good one because you could actually go out on your own, find towns out of order, and every town had a day/night cycle that you could easily miss but wasn't always critical and if it was there were clues to point you to go back at a different time

I actually remember 3 because one time I tried to check Edinburgh castle at night becaues aybe the guards would be asleep and i could get in.

you also had full control of your party at the very beginning and classes had huge amount of growth and abilities to learn

every other DQ game is total shit akin to FF7 the metastasized cancer of RPG that brought the death of the genre and FF never recovered since. Every game has to have sugoi character and awesome FMV cutscene and make sure the player knows how to use elements in scripted fake battles and have osme stupid ass story about the end of the world and a retard who thinks he's god

Dragon quest stepped into the PS1 quagmire and immediately drowned and died

>> No.5762467

>>5762119
Good points on why dq3 is good but dude, dq as a whole is not cutscene heavy. Pretending it's in the same league as ff7 is dishonest.

>> No.5762524

>>5761608
Chrono trigger would be good if it wasn't for the cheating ass final boss that can respawn and take out all your HP in one hit

>> No.5762528

>>5754405
Sengoku Rance or the first disgaea game, I couldn't say.
Elona + and 7th stand user.
>>What JRPG did you hate
While I don't have any game that I outright hate, most final fantasy games are boring bullshit and one of the most baby-tier vidya franchise out there.
The most boring ass gameplay possible, the most basic and braindead gameplay possible, convoluted and badly translated plots that take themselves way to seriously with a few designated haha funny :DDD moments.
No FF game is better than "decent", most of them are mediocre, but not really bad they were made by competent people who knew what they were doing, it just happens that they were making the most safe games possible.

>> No.5762530

Most comfy JRPG would be Super Mario RPG. Nobody can name better one

>> No.5762559

Gonna play through Secret of Mana with the girlfriend, is it good for co-op?

>> No.5762727

RPG general

>> No.5762756

Did anybody play the old Megami Tensei on nes or snes, and is it worth it ? Wanna play them but I hesitate

>> No.5762820

>>5762119
I was just explaining why they have lock doors in starting towns. It's not really the content behind the doors that matters but just going there seeing the town after so long and remember the adventure getting there.

As for FMV there's like 3 in DQ7 with some minor story sections here and there.Comparing DQ7 to FF7 in terms of cut scenes is pretty fucking laughable.

>> No.5762832

How good is Legend of Legaia?
Found a copy for less than 30 euros, while the going price tends to be over a 100 bucks.
I don't buy to collect though, so I want to know how you guys feel about it.

>> No.5762850

>>5762119
Good post. III is the best and I still cannot comprehend how they ducked up the series afterwards. I can tolerate DQ IV, V and VI but the series became too story and/or character for my tastes after that.

>> No.5762864

>>5762850
IX was fucking incredible. My brothers and I all had our own DSes and copies of the game and played through the game together. That game, FF Crystal Chronicles and Champions Return to Arms will forever be in my memory as godlike multiplayer RPGs

>> No.5762875

>>5762559
The only time I ever played that was 3-player with my brother and a friend, and we had a good time.
I see people complain about the AI on the non-controlled characters when playing alone.

>> No.5762901

>>5762559
It's fun but there might be times you need to grind. Mostly for magic. Since it gets more powerful the more you use it. So when you get new spells it's best to just spam them until you run out of MP and rest at a inn to do it over again until you reached the max level of the spells at that time.

It's not needed but it helps a whole lot near the end of the game.

>> No.5762961

>what have you been playing
After playing Grandia II on PC, I've been falling into a rabbit hole of Game Arts JRPGs (Grandia -> Lunar SSSC -> Lunar EBC). It's been a great summer.

>> No.5763026
File: 467 KB, 850x1215, Revenge_of_Death_Adder_flyer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

once I got back into action games, I slowly grew out of jrpgs and lost all patience for their pacing and mechanics.

>> No.5763317

Can someone tell me what srpg crpg and all the other acronyms mean? I mean, i know about the J but the others are a mistery to me.

>> No.5763373

>>5763317
>JRPG
Japanese RPG
Tends to mean a more focus linear game with a leveling system through combat
>SRPG
Strategy RPG
Think Fire Emblem, Final Fantasy Tactics or even X-Com where everything moves on a grid.
>CRPG
Computer RPG or Western RPG
Tends to mean more focus on freedom both in terms of exploring but also interaction with the game.

>> No.5763384

>>5763317
SRPGs (strategy RPGs) are games like Final Fantasy Tactics, Super Robot Wars, Disgaea, Fire Emblem, or Nobunaga's Ambition that have character building like RPGs, but combat takes place on a field where you move the characters in advantageous positions.

CRPGs (classic RPG) are games like Wizardry and the early D&D computer games, along with more modern games that heavily borrow elements from them. This is the "original" RPG genre, before consoles streamlined it, so they tend to be quite a bit more complex.

ARPG (action RPG) is a vague term for any game that has heavy RPG elements but has direct combat. Think Ys, Zelda 2, or Secret of Mana. It's vague because real-time combat in modern games has made it a bit hard to define where this genre begins and ends.

>> No.5763387
File: 124 KB, 605x600, legend_of_legaia_europe.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well I bought Legend of Legaia, the battle system looks sick.

>> No.5763397

>best JRPG
Lufia 2 on the Gameboy Advanced. Striving to hit that niche market.

>> No.5763408

>>5763373
>>5763384
Thanks, I've been lurking this board for days without knowing what those really meant.

>> No.5763421

>>5763408
JRPG tends to be more linear story focused. Think Adventure games just with combat against only certain groups.

CRPG/WRPG tends to offer more freedom in most things. Exploring end game places, fighting against towns people, stealing, ect. Not really setting much limits but might give you some form of penalties for doing it.

>> No.5763439

>>5763397
Do you mean Lufia 2 or Lufia Ruins of Lore? They are different games.

>> No.5763441
File: 170 KB, 500x500, suikodenempirepath.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Suikoden
Golden Sun TLA (By God I wish these characters would shut the fuck up.)
>What JRPG did you hate
FFVIII

>> No.5763482

Just hacked my Vita and grabbed PSP homebrew, so I'm looking for PS1, SNES, GBA, and GBC RPGS, as well as any ports of older RPGS on PSP or Vita or ones native to those consoles

I've played every mainline Final Fantasy but XI and XII, as well as Tactics and Tactics Advance, but haven't played many outside of those, except Mother 1 and 2.

Looking for ones with good stories, preferably minimal anime tropes, might give Persona 1 and 2 a try but don't like high school settings, waifu pandering shit, etc. I also prefer games without silent protagonists... The ones I've played with silent protags I don't care for, including Chrono Trigger. Also would like if they have good translations.

Should I play Ogre Battle before Tactics Ogre? I'm also quite interested in Xenogears.

>> No.5763484

Always want to try the Suikoden saga, at least 1 and 2, are the worth it ?

>> No.5763506

>>5763387
Some of the charm rubs off once you finish unlocking all the combos, but it's a pretty great game. PS1 has lots of hidden gems because everything is overshadowed by the popularity of Final Fantasy.

>> No.5763510

>>5763484
Yes; if you're playing the US versions then make sure to grab the fan patch for 2 that fixes the music bug etc.

>> No.5763515

>>5763484
1 isn't worth it. The music is horrendous and will grate away at your nerves, especially in towns. The combat is full as fuck because the game is laughably easy- you just auto battle every fight except boss fights. Even bosses fall in a few turns.

Also for as much fuss people make over the 108 recruitable characters, they're really just basic fetch quests and once the person joins your castle they are irrelevant to the rest of the story. Only a dozen or so are remotely interesting.

Can't speak for 2 because 1 was such a boring chore to get through. Apparently it's way better than 1 though.

>> No.5763540

>>5763408
>>5763421
This is accurate, but on a deeper level comes from a different philosophy, and simply calling JRPGs "linear and story-focused" and WRPGs being open-ended doesn't entirely describe the original split, despite being mostly true.

Basically, JRPGs streamlined and simplified the Wizardry combat model, while adding a more Ultima-like overworld map to give a sense of exploration of a large fantasy world. Then you usually had some kind of a hero journey type narrative that was, yes, typically presented in a fairly linear manner. But the real distinctive trait of JRPG storytelling is the use of sprite acting and manga-like dialog to present cutscenes in a dramatic manner. (Text in a JRPG can almost always be imagined to be in a "speech bubble" that you might see in a comic). Sprite acting took a while to develop, but even from the start they still had the concise, dialog-focused text. NPCs typically say a few sentences at most.

Meanwhile the WRPG philosophy was almost always about recreating some portion of the tabletop experience in a videogame. So you usually have open-ended character creation. The game might be non-linear, but not necessarily (dungeon crawlers can be a fairly linear descent through each level). Whatever narrative the game has will be presented very differently. Instead of speech bubbles with snappy dialog, you'll have some kind of text log that reads like a Game Master or text from a resource book (as in a tabletop game). Also WRPGs tended to be more complex, serious, and difficult.

I guess the last thing is that JRPGs got really popular in Japan and those console games quickly wound up with much larger budgets and resources than western RPGs.

>> No.5763547

>>5763482
>should I play ogre battle
It's a silent protagonist game, but it's honestly one of my favorite games ever. It's more about the gameplay than the story, and there's no games like it.

>> No.5763551

>>5763482
>I'm also quite interested in Xenogears.
I love Xenogears but be warned: it is a slog. The gameplay is OK but not that deep given the game is so long. And if you want "minimal anime tropes" that's not going to be Xenogears. It does have some good writing and isn't full-on Otaku shit like Xenoblade Chronicles, but it's anime through and through.

>> No.5763683

>>5763515
I thought that 2 was a sequel to the 1, am I wrong ? If not I will start with the 2

>> No.5763695

>>5763683
Yes it's a sequel. Everybody says you have to play 1 first but if that's the case then I don't think 2 is worth playing, since 1 is garbage.

>> No.5763704

>>5763506
I'll let you know how I feel about it once it arrives.

>> No.5763714 [DELETED] 
File: 86 KB, 550x783, anger management.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5754405
Wild Arms 2

Dark Cloud/spoiler] but I'm 10 hours in and starting to hate it. The fishing minigame is tedious and getting the upgrade gems from chests is pure RNG and I've had shit luck. Not being able to upgrade my shit is making me lose motivation to keep playing.

I'm either going to play Tales of Destiny or Koudelka next.

>What JRPG did you hate
Front Mission 1. I love the franchise, 5 is amazing. But I can't bring myself to play FM1 because the system is really weird with ranged weapons. I understand it's an old SRPG, but having to be adjacent to an enemy just to use a gun is a terrible design especially since it means you'll always be countered with melee. Thankfull the rest of the series fixed that so having ranged weapons actually allowed you to be more strategic to avoid being countered by melee.

>> No.5763724
File: 86 KB, 550x783, anger management.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Wild Arms 2

Dark Cloud but I'm 10 hours in and starting to hate it. The fishing minigame is tedious and getting the upgrade gems from chests is pure RNG and I've had shit luck. Not being able to upgrade my shit is making me lose motivation to keep playing.

I'm either going to play Tales of Destiny or Koudelka next.

>What JRPG did you hate
Front Mission 1. I love the franchise, 5 is amazing. But I can't bring myself to play FM1 because the system is really weird with ranged weapons. I understand it's an old SRPG, but having to be adjacent to an enemy just to use a gun is a terrible design especially since it means you'll always be countered with melee. Thankfull the rest of the series fixed that so having ranged weapons actually allowed you to be more strategic to avoid being countered by melee.

>> No.5763767

>>5763482
I haven't played p1 and p2 but from what I've heard they're not nearly as waifu pander-y as modern persona games. Xenogears is a slog like >>5763551 said, it's a 60-70 hour game with a very comprehensive plot and long dungeons. I think that it's a pretty significant title in the genre though and that everyone should at least try it out, there's a lot of great gameplay sequences and it's really a passion project at its core.

If you want a psp rec, try out the 'trails in the sky' trilogy by falcom'. It's (obviously) not retro but the games are heavily influenced by 90s rpgs (suikoden amd xenogears to name a fee) and play pretty great. Lots of world building, nice flow of gameplay and cool mechanics similar to the materia system of ff7.
>>5763683
2 isn't a sequel to 1, it has references to a couple characters from 1 but is fine as a standalone. It's a very solid game but at the same time it isn't very flashy, just a measured, honesy adventure. I'd use a guide for recruiting all 108 characters if you play.

>> No.5763806

>>5763397
Worst Lugia game.

>> No.5763812

>>5763767
>>5763695
Well, im gonna try the 1 to see what it looks like, thanks for your answers

>> No.5763835

>>5754405

Soul Blader, Mother 2.
Currently about 10 hours into Chrono Trigger. The bit where I left the old/timey place and ended up in the future asbolutely blew my mind

>What JRPG did you hate
didn't really like Majin Tensei much.

>> No.5763842

>>5754405
>Favourite JRPG?
Star Ocean 2
>Currently Playing?
Having a toddler and a full-time job means I have little time for games these days. I try to squeeze in a little Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions when I get a chance
>What JRPG did you hate?
Seiken Densetsu 2 (Trials of Mana). The art's nice, but the soundtrack is so-so, the dungeons repetitive and confusing, and the combat slow and clunky

>> No.5764145

Phantasy Star IV, Grandia, Lufia 2

Trying to marathon the BOF series, currently on III

>What JRPG did you hate
Not really hate, but I could never finish Valkyrie Profile, the battle system tires me. Shame, because I love the setting and the story.

>> No.5764805

chrono trigger multiple endings was unprecedented for its time, goat music

really liked dragon warrior 4 how it had multiple chapters that come together, shit graphics though

>> No.5765034

>Final Fantasy V and VII
>Ogre Battle
>FF3, 4, 6, Chrono Trigger, the DQ games I've tried so far, and Earthbound (though I did like Mother 1)

>> No.5765606

>>5765034
Why do FF7 fans have such atrocious taste? Were you not loved as a child or something?

>> No.5765612

>>5765606
No idea, I do know that I find Final Fantasy 7 to be one of the most dull JRPGs I've ever played, and the writing reminds me of what I would write as a child thinking it sounded cool.

>> No.5765713

>>5764805
>multiple endings

Nah, man. Plenty of other JRPGs that came out before CT had multiple endings.

https://gamicus.gamepedia.com/List_of_video_games_with_multiple_endings

>> No.5768053

>>5765713
Yeah, but it's the first game HE played as a kid that did that.

>> No.5768065

>>5763842
>Seiken Densetsu 2 (Trials of Mana).
Seiken Densetsu 2 is actually Secret of Mana, you must've meant Seiken Densetsu 3, honestly it's a far better game than 2 was.

>> No.5768415
File: 1.36 MB, 2969x2671, IMG_20190727_140530.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.5768582

>>5768415
I enjoyed the sequel too. Don't know why everyone shits on it.

>> No.5768606

Speaking of SD3/Trials, did they ever made the 3Player patch compatible with the new dump?

>> No.5768609

>>5765713
It's funny how most of the first games from that list are japanese or JRPG, considering they are supposed to be more linear. I know there's some WRPG's that should be there but it's still curious.

>> No.5768706

>>5768582
I'll give it a go anon.

>> No.5768767

>>5763482
>Should I play Ogre Battle before Tactics Ogre?

You don't NEED to, and they are completely different games, but if you care about character development, Ogre Battle gives some backstory of a good number of characters who join your party in Tactics.

>> No.5768795
File: 52 KB, 512x386, Feeling Greedy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5754405
>What have you been playing?
I just beat "Shin Megami Tensei: If..." on Reiko's route and had a blast, even if it was a bit grindy. The implementation of Guardians was a bit rudimentary, and I wish it had more implications for your MC, but it was an interesting idea. People will complain about grinding in the "World of Sloth" but I listened to music and podcasts during so it was actually kind of relaxing.

I'm considering trying for Akira's route since it does take place in a completely different set of dungeons with unique bosses, but I've heard it's a little dull. I grinded enough to get Hikonokagatsuchi and toasted Chefei's strongest form, but I might not be up for even more grinding just yet. Pic almost related.

>> No.5769608
File: 19 KB, 320x240, Langrisser_II.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I finished Warsong last week and Langrisser II yesterday and today I found out a new version is coming to the Switch.
At first look, it didn't bother me too much, as the new artwork looks like generic shit, but then I saw the old Urushihara can be enabled and I started to feel a little regretful.
Anyway, doesn't matter now. Is Langrisser III only available in japanese?

>> No.5769634

>>5769608
I hate that skeletal tweening animation they use in the new remake (and so many 2D games these days). I assume you can turn off the battle screens like in previous Langrissers but they even use it on the map for the unit animation.

>> No.5769646

What makes suikoden such a classic?

>> No.5769835

>>5769646
Being the prologue to Suikoden II.

>> No.5769959
File: 7 KB, 201x251, index.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been playing Dragon Warrior 2 on Nintendo. First, some context. Early on in the game, there's an enemy called "Healer" that appears as a blue jellyfish. Its sole purpose is to heal other monsters, so you have to kill them first.

Recently, I obtained a boat that allows me to traverse the ocean. Everything was going fine, until this thing appeared. Palette swaps aren't uncommon in this game, but they're usually just variants like "Baboon" and "MagicBaboon". However, this recolor of the Healer was called the "Man-o-War". I figured that it was just a more powerful Healer and prioritized killing it first. But it didn't seem to have much more HP than a normal Healer. On top of that, the Healers normally spam Heal nonstop, even if nothing has damage. These things didn't. Hell, I've never seen one of them heal at all.

Since then, I've mainly been sailing around fighting these things, trying to figure what their purpose is.

>> No.5770001

>>5769959
Don't know if they numb you in that game or the next. And I feel it's DQ3 where you run into "Curer" or something like that that cast Healmore. Hope the search for the crest goes well. DQ2 is a game that does everything in it's power to not tell you things.

>> No.5770227

>>5770001
Thanks. After roaming around for an hour and trying to brute force my way up a tower with encounters of six lizards who fry my entire party, I think I finally stumbled upon the town the game expected me to have found already. They're giving me hints about where to find the crests now and shit.

>> No.5770303

>>5754405
>favourite
Phantasy Star 4
>playing
Grandia
>h8
Final Fantasy 9

>> No.5770310
File: 511 KB, 1280x1024, fftacticswlpr11-1280x1024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>favorite
FF6
>playing
FFT
>h8
none of them really but to brainlet to enjoy FF8

>> No.5770486
File: 1.93 MB, 500x385, tumblr_olp6f5JP3D1s4u80lo1_r2_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone else constantly forced to import JRPGs due to the lack of PAL ports?
Half my PSX and NES collection are NTSC, and a good chunk of my SNES games.

>> No.5770492

>>5754405
Valkyrie Profile.

Dragon Quest V.

>What JRPG did you hate
Final Fantasy VIII.

>>5754615
>SaGa Frontier 2
Great choice. It has one of the best OSTs of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UIVz5akeVow

>> No.5770570

>>5768795
you played it in japanese ? or have you found an english patch ? I want to play this game so much but cant find any translation ...

>> No.5770728

>>5770570
Not him, but the translation came out last year.
Actually, a good number of untranslated Megaten games have been getting patches lately.

http://agtp.romhack.net/project.php?id=smtif

In the future use romhacking.net for all your game translation news.

>> No.5770801

>>5770728
Thanks a lot man, its working ! Gonna finally play this game :)

>> No.5770885

>>5769608
The remake looks like cheap flash animation.

>Is Langrisser III only available in japanese?
The translation should be out any day now:
https://community.langrisser.info/d/1505-langrisser-iii-saturn-translation-project-revived

>> No.5770958
File: 379 KB, 850x1202, WA2cast.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been tackling another dead JRPG franchise (...), Wild Arms. Just finished the second game last night. First time play.

Fucking LOVED that last battle, the transformation, the music (oh man, this game has so many awesome tracks), the scenes...damn.
The translation was strange as fuck, but still enjoyable (but seriously, there were times I had no idea what the fuck they were talking about).
That scene with Marivel and Tony was really sweet, as was the ending...still, I felt really bad for Irving and his sister, even after the whole thing behind Odessa.

Also, Ashley totally banged his love interest...several times through the course of the game.

I'll take a rest before moving to WA3.

>> No.5770961

>>5754405
>favorite
Probably FF7
>playing
Nothing currently, I'm only playing doom these days
>hate
Xenogears, but I still want to finish it some day.

>> No.5770994
File: 205 KB, 850x531, sample_cce687c6016f09a3eb9e9d6fb644c843159cd35c[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like lighthearted and simple JRPGs, like Grandia, PoPoLoCrois, and most Dragon Quests

Looking at my backlog, the last game I finished was...Dragon Quest VI, 3 years ago *

>What JRPG did you hate?
Finishing the original Legend of Heroes trilogy (A Tear of Vermillion, Prophecy of the Moonlight Witch and Cagesong of the Ocean) was such a drag, man. I liked some of the characters, so they kept me going, but fuck, are those games dull.

* Since I was a kid, and well into my 20's I'd always pick a JRPG and play it every day until I was 100% done, now that I have a job that takes most of my time, I just lose interest if I can't play it the way I always played them.
Waiting for the weekend just doesn't cut it, and it sucks.

>> No.5771297
File: 619 KB, 1040x2280, GoH4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5760901

>> No.5771318

Recently hacked my PS3 and was putting PS1 games on it, realized outside of Final Fantasy I really haven't touched any JRPGs for it. Found a list online or every PS1 and 2 JRPG listed in the order they were released and now I'm debating playing through the entire PS1 catalog in order or roll dice to pick what to play next.

>> No.5771395

>>5770958
Wild Arms 3 is my favorite JRPG of all time. I hope you enjoy it.

>> No.5771403

FFVII

Finished FFVII for the 7th time last Sunday one more time before the remake comes out.

>What JRPG did you hate
Dragon Quest II

>> No.5771415

>>5770958
>>5771395
Wild Arms 2 is one of my all time favorite RPGs, and honestly I think it was the best in the franchise. Those trumpets in the opening get me every time.

But really none of the Wild Arms games are bad so you cant go wrong. WA4 had a bad reputation for being the worst game, because it was a pretty drastic departure from the series. It still had it's strong moments though and was a lot of fun.

>> No.5771547

>>5765606
I was never loved

>> No.5771595
File: 84 KB, 856x443, Shiningforce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I always loved SRPGs/TRPGs but since I never had a Sega console growing up, I never played Shining Force.
What's a good entry point for the series?

>> No.5771608

Ive only played Dragon Quest 5 and 11, whats the best DQ game for you guys ? I want to try some more

>> No.5771620

>>5771608
You've already listed my two favorites.
3 and 4 are also great, imo.
It's almost a necessity to play 1+2 before 3, though.

>> No.5771651

Any Lufia 1 or 2 fans here ?

>> No.5771652

>>5771595

any of them is good - shining force 2 was my fav

>> No.5771664
File: 1.19 MB, 1024x764, lufia_the_legend_returns_char.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5771651
Lufia 1, 2 AND 3.

>> No.5771797

>>5770801
Let us know how it's going, I'm curious with how you fare

>> No.5771908

>>5771797
yes, for the moment I can finally play to Shin Megami Tensei if... so after this one, I will try another DQ ;)

>> No.5771939

>>5771620
Are the one on DS great ? Never try or see them

>> No.5771996

I found four of the five crests in Dragon Quest 2, and the game has already told me the last one is in a dark cave on the way to Rhone (which I'm pretty sure I have to open up in that dead end). Now I just can't figure out what the hell I'm supposed to do to progress the story. The NPCs in the fishing town were talking about a moon piece and an ocean cave that I haven't been to yet, but they were to vague to be of any help.

>> No.5772323

>>5771608
You can't go wrong with any of them, they're all good. I'd only avoid 2 because it's irritating as fuck without a guide like >>5771996 is experiencing.

I'd suggest 7 or 8 next. I prefer the original versions of both but the 3DS ports aren't too bad.

>> No.5772604

>>5771595
They are more or less stand alone. I recommend 2 as well, unless you know for certain that you want to play the lot in which case you might as well start at the beginning. But if you want to try one, Shining Force 2 is a top choice.

>> No.5772714

>>5764145
>Lufia 2
My man.jpeg

>> No.5772894

>>5772323
indeed 7, 8, 9 looks pretty neat, the 8 on ps2 especially

>> No.5773104

>>5772323
2 gets a bad rap. It USUALLY does a pretty good job pointing you in the right direction for your next goal.There are only a handful of instances where it's too cryptic for its own good. Using a guide takes a lot of fun out of the open world section. I think the game would best be played with some kind of hint list that gives you specific hints if you get stuck without spoiling any parts where you're not, like those old PC adventure game hintbooks.

>> No.5773107

>favorite
Suikoden 2 or Chrono Cross
>currently playing
Albert Odyssey: legend of Eldean
>hated
Legend of dragoon

>> No.5773186

>>5773104
Feel only really 2 of the crests are annoying to really get Sun which is in a spot that is completely bullshit. And Cave to Rhome since it's just a stupidly hard dungeon. Rests are fine overall. DQ2 problem is just level scaling and the world is so god damn massive but there's not a whole lot there so you can easily feel lost without a map if you were like me playing the NES game as I kid.

>> No.5773376

>>5773107
>Albert Odyssey: legend of Eldean

That's the one with the talking sword, correct?
I had that game for like a week before I traded it for...Croc 2.
To be fair, I was very young and JRPGs were a bit too much for a kid with only a couple years of english classes, but I still regret it to this day.

>> No.5773381

>>5773376
Yup, it has a talking sword. I'm only 7 hours in or so and it isn't particularly fun or engrossing but I've had a saturn for 6 months or so and haven't used it at all. I wanted to start with a 2d jrpg but now I think I should have gone with something else.
Albert odyssey is the most working designed game ive ever played. Literally everu line of dialog is a bad joke.

>> No.5773390

Terranigma is amazing.

Finally trying Illusion of Gaia, but the sprites suck and make me want to edit them.

Earthbound is over rated.

>> No.5773394

>>5771908
What domain are you in? What demons are in your party? Any Guardians?

>> No.5773403

>>5771664
TLR is seriously fun. To this day I have no idea how they managed to force all that content in a single GBC cart.
Monster design is top notch, battle system is original and never tiresome, and most "unwinnable" battles can be won with some clever strategies. Oh, and one of the characters is a descendant of Dekar, and he's just as entertaining to watch.

>> No.5773643

>>5773394
I haven't start yet, maybe tomorrow or after when I got some times

>> No.5773712

What's the most "feel-good" jrpg you guys can think of?

I feel like I need to play something to fill the void left after finishing the bleak Lost Odyssey (not retro, but had to mention it). That game fucking destroyed me.

>> No.5773714

>>5773712
Grandia

>> No.5773719

>>5773712
>Lost Odyssey

Forever stuck on the 360 :(

Kinda cliché, but Earthbound always gets me going when I'm down.

>> No.5773726

>>5773381
Dudes on romhacking.net were working on a bunch of "Unworking Designs" fixes for most of the games localized by the company.
Maybe there's one for Albert Odyssey?

>> No.5773746

>>5773726
I did a cursory search and came up with nothing. Translation of the snes Albert odyssey games seems to be abandoned also. Oh well, the game is decent enough for me to continue.

>> No.5773753

Should I play Radical Dreamers between Trigger and Cross?

>> No.5773762

>>5771595
Start with 1.

>> No.5774156

>>5754405
>Dragon Quest VIII, but for more retro Dragon Quest IV
>Last retro JRPG was SD3/Trials of Mana
>It's not retro but I absolutely despise The World Ends With You, I just can't stand even the sight of it.

>> No.5774163

>>5758635
Dungeon Crawlers are fun but I need auto-mapping, I have better things to do than bumble my way through the same three corridors over and over again.

FF was good, well I-VI are decent, IX is great and XII is good, the rest are meh or trash. DQ is predictable but it's always great, solid in all ways.

>> No.5774172
File: 10 KB, 250x411, Noaconcept3black.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5763387
Had some really cool ideas and systems. The lead girl's design is a disaster in the absolute best way possible, love it.

>> No.5774174

>>5769959
Man-o-Wars don't heal, they paralyze, or in the DQ2 context, cause sleep. Did you find all the crests?

>> No.5774237

>>5774174
Yes, the crests were no problem. It was the watergate key that finally forced me to consult a guide.

>> No.5774336

i love jrpgs in the vein of dragon quest 3/etrian odyssey where you get to autistically make your entire party, but none of those games have any particular reason to use more than 3 characters. do you guys know any jrpgs that allow for customization AND give you an actual reason to use more than the initial party you make?

>> No.5774662

Holy shit, what the hell is up with Albert odyssey for saturn? The encounter rate is insane. Sometimes I can't make it three steps without getting pulled into a fight. There's no type of map when in towns or dungeons. There is no game clock displaying the amount of hours played, the save file only tells you the real world date and time you saved. It's kind of fun but man does it feel half assed in some areas.

>> No.5774667

>>5774336
Breath of fire iv. Since every party member is in every battle, they all level up equally. Also, the different masters, skills, and combos make it so you experiment a little more with battle formations. Since every party member is in every battle, it makes dying less common. Instead you juggle character between the front and rear lines.

>> No.5774673

>>5754405

Favorite would have to be Chrono Trigger, Ive been playing alot of Tales of Phantasia and I absolutely hate Final Fantasy X-2

>> No.5774859

>>5774336
Wizardry, at least the early ones, has a form of auto-save at certain points and if your party wipes you need to send a different party down to retrieve their corpses

>> No.5775051

>>5774662
Never touched it but watching a playthrough of it and wow that's some rough stuff. Everything feel like it's taking 3 times for anything to happen. Input command wait watching him run up to enemy and attack wait number comes up wait enemy dies.

>> No.5775059
File: 18 KB, 320x189, AreYouWatchingMeDyne.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just wanted to say that I'm enjoying the Lunar series a lot. Expected some run-of-the-mill animu JRPG, but it's been much more than that.
I really love these characters and this world. Even got a little sentimental at times.

>> No.5775094

What the deal with snes dragon quest games? I played III and it looked beautiful. Now I'm trying V and it looks like it was made in MS Paint.

>> No.5775104

>>5775094
3's remake came later than 5. 5 was the first of the SNES DQs. Even I agree 5 looks like ass.

>> No.5775108

>>5771297
Holy shit, someone else who played GoH IV. One of the best RPGs for SNES. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrd6OYWFvpw

If anyone gets a chance, play it ASAP, you will not be disappointed in the slightest of your journey.

>> No.5775110

>>5775051
Battles definitely move along at a snail's pace. I've gotten used to it but it was pretty off-putting starting out, particularly the delay between attack and death. I could have sworn I'd seen a patch somewhere that sped battles up but I haven't been able to find it.

>> No.5775119

>>5775104
Meh I think I will just play 5 on the DS then.

>> No.5775126

>>5775119
There's also a cute 3D remake on the PS2.

>> No.5775135

>>5775119
It's the best version anyways personally. SNES is nice if you want original and PS2 for symphonic music but DS has a bit more like having an extra wife to pick which was really needed since between Bianca and Nera there's 0 reason to pick Nera. Debora at least is such a awful wife in such a wonderful way. She 100% hates the stupid adventure and for you to bring her on it.

>> No.5775804

Any good JRPG translations released recently other than SMT:if?

>> No.5775856

>>5754405
Either Valkyrie Profile or Vagrant Story but if we're talking turn based the Final Fantasy V
Just beat Dragon Warrior II, taking a break before starting III
>What JRPG did you hate
I hate Xenogears with an absolute passion

>> No.5775927
File: 64 KB, 400x400, cover_l.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5754405
I've lots of favorites and none I really hate, but pic related is what I've been playing recently.

>> No.5776748

>>5754405
>Favorite JRPG
Haven't ever finished one outside of Pokemon, aesthetically I love Secret of Mana.
>What have I been playing
I tried Mystic Quest over the weekend, feels like a Gameboy game but it's a neat time sink. I also played 3 hours of Chrono Trigger tonight. Got the Lode Sword from the Fair and then just beat Yakuda or whoever.
>JRPG I hate
Final Fantasy 6. I would get to the mountain, die, have to start over. So tired of that fucking Moogle fight in the intro.

>> No.5777146

>>5754405
Final Fantasy IV (SNES/Super Famicom) - Last FF game that still tried to make the basic mechanics interesting, like having a multi-hit damage formula (like FF1) and spells with cast times, rather than bolting on gimmicks like Street Fighter inputs. Very well-balanced content for a JRPG (and RPG in general) that starts out very easy and fast-paced but gets harder incrementally, with varied challenges, as you progress. (Note that FF5 still did a decent job with basic mechanics but FF4 is still my favorite overall).
>What is your favorite TRPG
Final Fantasy Tactics (not any of the dumb advance versions)
Nothing JRPG-related. Shining Force series maybe but probably not.
>What JRPG did you hate
Final Fantasy IX. More like a love/hate with this one (mostly hate). Certain strengths are undeniable but there are so many things that I really hate about this game from the slow combat to the obnoxious characters and glacially-paced story, to braindead minigames, constant cutscenes, and restrictive linearity for most of the game.

There are probably other JRPGs I'd hate more than FFIX if I actually bothered to finish them. The biggest problem with most JRPGs in my experience is blandness or bad pacing so I just wind up quitting after a couple of hours and barely remember any of it.

>> No.5777197

>>5754729
I only just recently got out of this and I'm 18. Video games felt like a chore ever since I was 13. Then I got antidepressants so I could actually enjoy and focus on the games I play.

>> No.5777453

>>5754405
Three way tie between Phantasy Star 3, Breath of Fire 3 and Dragon Warrior 7
Star Ocean 2 again
>What JRPG did you hate
Final Fantasy IX. It's just lame, slow, I hated the character models, music was meh, the minigames were shit, and the "'member dis?" felt like it was pandering to the "I didn't like the modern styles of ff7 and ff8" crowd. It marked the start of the decline of Final Fantasy for me. X-2 and the XIII series were nice bumps up to the norm but 9, 10, 12, 15 are just a slog. I played a bunch crappy JRPGS, but only one was truly a disappointment. Even when I replayed it as an adult I wanted to skip it. At least I will never get tired of making fun of Vivi's erection of power.

>> No.5777920

>>5754405
Does anyone else use their emulator's speed multiplier to speed through grinding basic bitch enemies where victory is a forgone conclusion, to save time? Or is that considered sacrilege?
There's so many old RPGs that it would take a lifetime to play them all and doing this saves a chunk of time on each

>> No.5777932

>favorite jrpg
Just barely isn't retro, so sadly I can't talk about it.
Started the first dragon quest, or rather, dragon warrior. Pretty fun, but very basic. I get a lot of simple pleasure with it.
>What jrpg do you hate
Final Fantasy? I guess? I don't exactly hate it, but of all the jrpg series I've played I like it the least.

>> No.5777958

>>5777453
X-2 and XIII series are the worst and nobody even debates it. The decent combat in X-2 is blown to shit by literally everything else. You're clinically retarded.

>> No.5778065

Never been a big JRPG guy but I played DQ I and II last Spring and enjoyed them, started III but left it and got distracted by something else and never came back to it, probably due to the slog that was grinding levels to get through the endgame of II.

Started III again in anticipation of XI on the Switch and I'm really enjoying it so far.

>> No.5778092

>>5777958
Opinions ahead, avert your eyes if you are incapable of understanding independent thought or are one of the retarded people who conflate objective and subjective.
X-2 had style and a good battle system backing it up, plus I'm a sucker for job systems.
XIII admittedly had lowered expectations going in thanks to slog of 12 but the characters actually had, in someway or another, motivations dumb but they did. I didn't use autobattle because I'm not a braindead moron so that wasn't a negative for me. The AI actually did the things I wanted without the fun but overbearing gambits like 12. Plot is dumb as hell I can't argue that.
XIII-2 improved battle system and had multiple retarded in a mostly entertaining way endings. Time travel even if basic and maybe not needed is a plus. Noel is boring as all fuck tho.
XIII-3 had a more involved battle system, but not polished to a fine sheen. Bosses kept me entertained enough. The ending was so bananas bad it made me feel good.
Bad will always be better than boring or disappointing.
IX was boring throughout and, worse, I was disappointed with what felt like a downgrade in the overall game compared to it's predecessors. I did like Vivi and Steiners interactions, the fairy-tale like town design, but didn't save it from being overall boring and most disappointing, therefore worse JRPG.

>> No.5778224
File: 142 KB, 360x477, 360px-Ragnar.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why does every walkthrough reccomend I equip this guy with anything in the first chapter when he cant equip shit?
No half plate, no sword of malice, I go to equip, and theres nothing there.

>> No.5778267

>>5778224
Never mind, he can't equip it, the menu is just unintuitive

>> No.5778428

>>5778267
>Go to the shop
>Gear character can equip is marked with a E
I get NES menus are clunky and annoying but DQ4 NES might be the least clunky out of most NES JRPG.

>> No.5778441

>Favorite
Paper Mario. Tons of charm and a lot of replay value with different builds and strategies. Easy, but also easy to come up with tough challenge runs.

>Hate
FF Mystic Quest was so fucking braindead easy you just push a button over and over to win. And that’s coming from someone who likes Paper fucking Mario.

>Currently
About to start either DQ3 or Valkyrie Profile. Can’t decide. Tell me which one to play and why /vr/

>> No.5778449

>>5774667
thanks bro
>>5774859
holy fuck i was just wondering if a game had that mechanic. that sounds amazing

>> No.5778471

>>5778449
You’d think wizardry and dq would be basic bitches since they basically pioneered their genres, but I think they did a lot of things way more creative than their copy cats. Which makes sense I guess, but still, you’d think the creative twists on the formulas would be in the copy cats, not the originals that established those formulas in the first place.

>> No.5778534

>>5778471
That really surprised me when I played through the early Dragon Quest games. They really love screwing with your expectations. My favorite one is in 2, where you return to the final boss's castle from the first game, expecting a fight or treasure of some sort at the bottom. Then the only thing on the last floor is the Dragon Lord's grandson hanging out on the throne minding his own business. He just gives you a hint you could have figured out yourself, then tells you to fuck off, making the entire trip to the bottom floor kind of pointless.

>> No.5778546

>>5778534
I really liked that bit too.

I was mostly surprised at the use of floor tiles effects and how poison damages you while walking on the overworld. It’s really small but that stuff integrates the battle/travel gameplay way more than most jrpgs bother to.

Also I think wizardry 4 predates smt and dq5 as the first monster team rpg game.

>> No.5779192

>>5778534
Hope you went to him after defeating Malroth

>> No.5779278
File: 53 KB, 640x480, RyonaRPG_Character_selection.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5778449
>holy fuck i was just wondering if a game had that mechanic
>>5774859
Well this game has it, but you shouldn't play it because it's VERY mean.

>> No.5779376

Can someone please recommend me a JRPG that either has an interesting turn-based battle system, or is straight up action based?

I cannot fucking stand DQ/FF/similar titles where you spend 95% of encounters only needing to attack and sometimes heal. I had the best luck with Chrono Trigger, but the battle system in that game is still shit, it's just easier to tolerate for longer because there's no random encounters.

I've been eyeing up Valkyrie Profile, and apparently Grandia has a decent ATB system (FF4+'s ATB is dull as hell imo).

If not I'm just gonna try out some strategy RPGs instead.

>> No.5779381

>>5778546
>poison damages you while walking on the overworld

This is *really* common, no? I've seen it in damn near every classic RPG I've played.

>> No.5779406

>>5779376
Interesting turn-based: Final Fantasy Tactics (and maybe other TRPGs like Shining Force)
>FF4+'s ATB is dull as hell imo
Playing FF4 Free Enterprise hack in a race context is fun. You don't need to be a speedrun tranny or anything just try to play the game somewhat fast and you'll get the right feel.
The reason why Free Enterprise works is because
(a) you can shut off random encounters
(b) you can almost always find a boss that can be beaten without grinding
(c) in most seeds, all the grinding you need can typically be done in 10-15 minutes. The dynamic winds up being needing to have enough funds to buy sirens, and then deciding when you want to do the grind since you usually don't need to grind at all until you're heading into the late game.
(d) randomized equipment and characters leads to a great variety of party compositions and really rewards knowledge of the game and its mechanics.

>> No.5779519

Recommend me some semi-obscure JRPGs, dudes.
I just finished Rudra no Hihou and it was fantastic.

>> No.5779816
File: 612 KB, 640x480, retro waves.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5755749
Such a comfy game and my favorite BoF. Tactics Ogre is also my favorite SRPG. And I really liked the look of Saga Frontier 2, got very far in that one. The painted backgrounds reminded me a lot of Legend of Mana. Crazy seeing all these games in one post.

>> No.5780095

What's the deal with the original Playstation and "unfinished" jrpgs?
Xenogears, SaGa Frontier 2, Breath of Fire IV, I'm always reading on how they ran out of time and had to wrap the game before a certain date, or how they needed the workforce to move to other project and leave those games incomplete. I'm pretty sure there's way more than the ones I listed, too.

>> No.5780105

>>5780095
Because RPGs at the time were EXTREMELY big and costly productions. It was pretty easy for them to take longer than anticipated.

>> No.5780108

>>5780095
>>5780105
All JRPGs had some form of cut or unfinished content. It just because much more noticeable during the PS1-era due to how easy it is to datamined those games.

>> No.5780121

>>5779192
What happens? Pretty sure I did but I don’t remember anything special.

>>5779376
FF7’s ATB is way better than 4-6’s. Haven’t played 8 or 9 so can’t comment on those.

It’s just so, so, sooo much faster. In the SNES games normal turn based goes faster cause atb is so fucking slow even at max speed. In 7, one fourth full speed is like max in the snes games. I played 7 normally and didn’t care much for it, then years later tried it with atb set to active mode and about 4/5ths max speed. Fell in love with the game so fucking hard.

There’s also the Mario RPGs and their action commands. Those games are easy so you might need to self impose some sort of challenge to really get a lot out of them, but they’re pretty fun breezy games.

>>5779381
I feel dumb now but thinking about it you’re right. I think that actually goes back to wizardry too, affecting you with steps outside of battle instead of steps on the overworld.

>> No.5780128

>>5780121
>It’s just so, so, sooo much faster.
Have you actually measured each game?

>> No.5780141

>>5780121
>What happens? Pretty sure I did but I don’t remember anything special.
"Thou hast done well, Link. Let bygones be bygones and we shall be friends."

>> No.5780157
File: 152 KB, 769x1000, 0AE52756-553D-488D-84D1-B04336FAEA80.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5754695
I usually read the synopsis on wikipedia or go the through an ign guide up to the point I left off whenever this happens. I had to do it a couple of times with persona 3, great game but tartarus gets old fast.
>favorite
dq 3, it was probably the game that made me a fan of the genre
>currently playing
ffvi, just beat a non retro tales game last night so I’m about to give it a go
>jrpg you hate
I’m not sure if its considered retro yet but ffx is really mediocre to me and I don’t get the hype. I can’t stand rpgs that hold your hand through the whole game it makes the experience completely linear and in my opinion the non linear gameplay is what makes the genre fun to begin with.

>> No.5780213

>>5780128
I haven’t taken specific measurements if that’s what you’re asking, but I’ve played 4, 6 and 7 to completion and I can tell you there’s a massive, immediately noticeable difference between 7 and the others.

4 and 6 were about the same speed far as I could tell so I assumed 5 was the same.

>> No.5780602

>>5780213
I'm fairly certain 7 is the same speed as 4 as far as ATB, assuming you played the original SNES version of 4 and not the dumbass GBA remake shit. It's at least close enough that measuring a difference is very hard. In some cases FF7 will be slower because animations are longer on average.

6 might be slower. That's a game where you actually do have to wait for ATB bars to fill up sometimes even on max speed.

One thing that also might make FF7 seem faster is that you never have more than 3 characters in your party and the average number of enemies you face is slightly less, so there tends to be fewer actions to wait for until your next turn. If FF4 feels slow to you it's probably because there are so many more actors on the field.

>> No.5780630

>>5754405

Hard choice but my favourites would be Dragon Quest III, Final Fantasy 5, Chrono Trigger and Saga Frontier

The latest (retro) jrpg i have been playing right now would be Romancing Saga 2 on the Vita. Im on my NG+ run after completing it and I missed the chance to kill Dantarg early. I do feel like playing it from the start instead however since playing it with all the nice equipment and skills are not fun anymore as the meat of the game is sparking skills and the whole challenge of it despite learning about more new stuff playing it.

>What JRPG did you hate
I don't think I hated any jrpg in particular other than FFII. It's basically a proto SaGa game and i can't bring myself to even play it after a terribly shitty experience with it years ago.

>> No.5780776

I’ve heard the good or true ending of valkyrie profile is basically impossible to get on a blind first playthrough. Is it worth following a guide to make sure I get it, like is it actually significantly different and am I missing out on a lot of the game if I just play through naturally and get whatever normal ending?

Talking more about gameplay differences here, not story.

>> No.5781007
File: 134 KB, 900x655, feena.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've had a shit summer so been playing old PS1/2 JRPGs I own again and it's been greatly cathartic. Decided to hack my PS3 so I could pirate ones I don't own instead of emulating, so now I'm digging into old PS1 games I always wanted to play. Currently torn between Arc the Lad, Xenogears, or replaying Lunar so I can finally do 2.

Besides Grandia what are some PS1 JRPGs that leave a real feel-good mood when you're finished? I'm probably going to hold off on Xenogears until I'm in a better mood.

>> No.5781170

>>5781007
Even if you want to be in a bad mood you still shouldn't play Xenogears. It is one of the worst games ever made in the history of mankind.

>> No.5781356

>>5781007
Just play Lunar, man.
You posted Feena, so I'm assuming you're in the mood for something similar to Grandia, and Arc the Lad is only worth playing if you go for the whole trilogy at once.

>> No.5781420

>>5780776
The entire final chapter is very different. But if you dont really care about story then it shouldn't matter. Not that the differences are only dialog or story related, the whole ending sequence; where you are and who you are fighting is different.

But that doesn't mean the B ending isn't worth seeing so really it's up to you. While the steps to getting the A ending pretty much requires a guide if you're playing blind, the steps are at least somewhat intuitive if you already know the way the game plays out. Not that you'd know what to do at all, but if you were to look up the steps it would make sense then.

That said, true ending is more of a checklist than following a guide to the T.

>> No.5781427

>>5781420
Whether you decide to go for A ending or not I recommend playing on Hard for all the content, and if I remember right you unlock the postgame dungeon with key items you find in Hard if you are really hooked.

>> No.5781432

>>5754405

ff6

I'm pretty sure Ihatovo Monogatari was the last retro one I picked up and I got so bored I turned it off.

>>What JRPG did you hate

Tecmo Secret of the stars

>> No.5781469
File: 167 KB, 365x550, gl1karen2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5754405
Wild Arms 2, Grandia 1 & 2, Thousand Arms, Growlanser
Retro? I just finished Soulblazer again, this time in one sitting.
>What JRPG did you hate
FF series, as most of my siblings already played it thus, getting spoiled in the good ones.

I usually go for the plot centric ones before gameplay so SaGa, perhaps the most complicated one I know, will be something that I can't play due to sheer complexity on it and the time I need to do it right. Replaying it just because I messed up is something I don't like when playing JRPGs. Not that I hate it since I enjoyed SaGa Frontier 2.
I blame Thousand Arms for my love in having dating sim mechanics in JRPGs. I like it if its integrated well enough not to kill the plot and the characters.

>> No.5781605
File: 356 KB, 800x800, topps4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Playing some PSIV for the second time (first time playing after finishing the other 3 games), and I'm getting ready for the final part of the game.
Which extra character do you guys usually take with you to the final battle?

>> No.5783614

>>5762119
The remakes of 4, and 5 are solid enough. Though I found DQ 6's attempt to do a little bit of everything from the past three games, made large stretches of it unlikable. (How long do you play the game without even having access to jobs?)

>> No.5783617

>>5762559
Considering the last half of the game falls apart in terms of design and narrative, I'd argue that the only way to play it is in co-op.

>> No.5783661

I want to replay Grandia sometime, so I figured I'd wait for the "HD" Switch port so I can play through with Japanese voices this time, but I'm beginning to think it's vaporware at this point.

>> No.5783720
File: 132 KB, 1280x720, Madragon-FlameBreath[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5783661
Nah, they showed it last month on E3.
People were not happy about it though. Shitty sprite filtering and blurry backgrounds.

>> No.5783807

>>5783720
Also the Japanese audio in the demo had the same bugged battle lines as the undub fan-patch, so they're probably using that to begin with anyway.

>> No.5783815

>>5783720
I just looked up videos and it looks like it still has the same slow load into battles too. I was really looking forward to quickly getting into and out of battle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLSa-WNhGPQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iifvt7V7bBM

Guess I'll just grab the undub and replay it now.

>> No.5783852

The only rpgs i like are ps1 rpgs. For some reason they are super comfy to play.

>> No.5784150

>>5775135
You gotta keep talking to Debora. Her charm is that she hates you, but she hates everything else in the world, more.
And then you have children together, and she stops pretending to dislike you for appearance's sake while remaining a total bitch to everyone else.

>> No.5784185

>>5754669
>Earth Bound

It's Earthbound you stupid fucking retard

>> No.5784198

seiken densetsu 1 my friends, what a game

>> No.5784205

>>5763724
>Wild Arms 2
That game needs a re-translation.

>> No.5784362

>>5784205
It doesn't need a new translation but it desperately needed an editor.

>> No.5784637

>>5781469
Have you played the psp version of growlaner? Is it worth replaying for the new content?

>> No.5786075
File: 768 KB, 1600x1692, art-001.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Should I play the mobile version or the NES version? These are my only options.

I like the presentation in the mobile version and I like the sound of the extra stuff, but I hate the touch controls, even though I was fine playing the mobile Port of dq1. I also hate the retarded accents they've given to the characters.

The NES version is a little dated, but I'm already nearing the end of chapter 3. getting to where I'm at a second time Doesn't sound great to me.

>> No.5786276

>>5786075
Play the DS or PS1 version the mobile port is based on.
And play it in Japanese to avoid the localization.

>> No.5787609

What game can recommend you to a pleb who only played Chrono Trigger and FF3 on DS?

>> No.5787670
File: 613 KB, 575x600, 1546726473048[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Dragon Quest III was a fuuuuucking ride, man.

It's been awhile since I felt this entertained playing a game, I was afraid maybe I was losing interest in gaming, but it turns out I was just playing shit.

What's the closest game to DQ3 you can think of? Ultima Exodus immediately popped up in my mind but I was looking for something I haven't played yet.

>> No.5787691

>>5786276
Thanks I guess I'll just stick with the NES game since I'm at chapter 4 now.

>> No.5788534

What games have undub or definitive version patches that vastly improve the game?

>> No.5788537

>>5788534
All the games have the original Japanese version.

>> No.5788713

>>5787670
Finished 1 and 2 just a little while ago. Really looking forward to 3 but I need a little break from the series first.

>> No.5788745

>>5787609
Do yourself a favor and play Lunar 1 and 2.

>> No.5788863

>favorite
dragon quest3 nes
I love it too much.

>playing
dragon quest 3 nes

>h8
nothing

>> No.5788912
File: 147 KB, 1375x1009, 1419188490952.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Any short-ish JRPGs you guys could recommend? I'm in the mood for some RPGs, but after playing through 50 hours of Tales of Symphonia I'm really not in the mood for another epic. I was thinking of giving Live-A-Live, but I'd like to hear other peoples' opinions, too.

>> No.5789307

>>5788912
Live A Live is really fun, and I'm always surprised it never got brought over. The nice thing about is each section is relatively short so you can play it in small bursts at first.

Arc the Lad is like a 10 hour game, but it ends on a bit of a cliffhanger that leads into Arc 2 which is an absolutely massive 60+ hour game. I usually only recommend it if you're going to play them together.

Koudelka and Vagrant Story are both pretty short too, though not your usual JRPGs. The firsr Battle Network game is also basically a 12-15 hour game.

Could always go to howlongtobeat.com and look up various JRPGs to get an idea of how long they are.

>> No.5789382

>>5788912
I remember finishing the original Dragon Quest in a single day.
Suikoden is also very short, and if you enjoy it you might want to try the sequel, that, while it's MUCH longer, it's also a great game.

>> No.5789467

>>5789307
I couldn't really get into Koudelka, but I'll check out the other ones you suggested. I'm a big fan of Akihiko Yoshida's work so I might go with Vagrant Story first.
>>5789382
I'm really not into RPGs as old as DQI, but Suikoden sounds pretty cool so I'll add it to my backlog for when I have enough time to play the sequels too.

>> No.5789602
File: 75 KB, 480x272, snap094.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been saving backups of all my CDs from the 00's and found one full of my roms, saves, and screenshots.
That shit left me super-excited, but when I tried to open those SS's, more than half of the files were corrupted...
This one survived and caught me in a swirl of emotions.