[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 20 KB, 220x222, 220px-Castlevania_SOTN_PAL[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5680769 No.5680769 [Reply] [Original]

Wow, this is about a million times easier than the NES Castlevania's. My zoomer ass couldnt get past the first couple levels of those, but this feels like a cakewalk.

>> No.5680776

>>>/fortnight/

>> No.5681547

you're right, sotn is piss easy, and any casual sotnigger who says its a good castlevania should go play some real castlevanias
super CV IV e the real zoomervanias for them to feel like they played a classic though
but 1 and 3 are true tests

>> No.5681814

Still not as easy as Super Casualvania Bros.

>> No.5681819

This is why it's now the most beloved castlevania and considered one of the all time greatest games. It's just piss easy enough and does a good enough job making the player feel like superman that every retard on earth can beat it and rate it.

>> No.5681823

>>5681819
Super Mario World suffers from the very same problem

>> No.5681863

Classicvanias are only hard because of the extremely limited controls.

How do I know this? Play Rondo of Blood with Maria and suddenly the game gets 100x easier because she basically controls like any igavania character.

>> No.5681865

>>5681823
Some anon actually counted the levels that let you "fly over the stage" in SMW. Out of 70-ish levels, only 15 or so let you do that.

>> No.5681868
File: 134 KB, 1150x1266, shrug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

They made it much easier than the previous games so all the casual faggots could finally pretend they enjoy Castlevania games too.

>> No.5681869

>>5681863
Rondo is the easiest classicvania so that's not a surprise, but you don't even need Maria, all you need is Richter and the bible subweapon (which you can get in stage 3, first 2 stages are really easy anyway).
Without the bible it's still doable though, but the bible just functions as a defensive-offensive game-breaking item.
People like australia-kun who claim IV is the easiest have clearly never played much Rondo.

>> No.5681875

>>5680769
Yes, it's an extremely easy Castlevania but that's not such a bad thing. Sometimes you're just in the mood for a walk in the park.

>> No.5681901

>>5681869
Rondo isn't easier. There's no multi-whip that covers almost half the screen. Also, even in spite of cheesy Bible strats, the bosses and most enemies still put up more of a challenge than any monster you encounter in 4.

>> No.5681904

>>5681814
False, super is easy but SOTN is even easier

>> No.5681908

>>5681901
>There's no multi-whip that covers almost half the screen
Precisely, the bible is even more broken than that, it covers not half the screen, but ALL of the screen, and doesn't even toll you too many hearts (besides, the game throws hearts at you so it's never a problem).
>the bosses and most enemies still put up more of a challenge than any monster you encounter in 4.
Bosses? maybe a few of them, werewolf... but most of them are really easy too.
Not that Castlevania was ever boss-centric though, CV1 is more about the level design, which Rondo lacks, it's mostly really easy levels with little platforming and more focused on puzzles/finding secrets. For all the shit IV gets, it still has some of the hardest level designs in the series toward the end.
Also Rondo's drac is a joke.

>> No.5681912

>>5681904
>replying to auster-kun

>> No.5681919

>>5681904
Not if you do SotN challenge runs, e.g. level 1 cap, no spells, bad equipment, etc.

>> No.5681924

>>5681919
It's still easier, you can never die because of falling on a pit on SOTN, it has virtually no platforming. Only way to die by falling is if you happen to die on an enemy and are already low on HP, but still.
As for self-imposed challenges, you can always do no-whip upgrades on Classicvania (those games that let you upgrade your whip, IV being one of them). Or go for no-hit runs, and of course no-death runs.
IV is actually very hard if you want to speedrun it, for example.

>> No.5681925

In terms of challenge:
CV2 (blind) > Haunted Castle > CV3 > CV1 > Chronicles Original Mode > SNES Dracula X > Bloodlines > Rondo (100%) > second half of CV4 > Chronicles Arrange Mode > Rondo > first half of CV4 > CV2 > SotN

>> No.5681927

>>5681925
CV1 isn't really harder than SNES Dracula X.
I also think Bloodlines is really easy, doesn't have any sadistic levels like on 4's second half.

>> No.5681960

>>5681927
I dunno, that Germany machine level with the shitty gear hurtboxes is pretty annoying.

>> No.5681983

>>5681960
Bloodlines have sketchy hitboxes, yeah, but it's not really hard, if anything the weird hitbox and land detection makes the game easier (like how you can just jump on the platform above in the tower of pisa part with the medusas, really easy even though on paper it should be a really difficult part)

>> No.5682350

>>5681863
This man speaks truth. Old style CV's are only difficult because you control like a lead weight and most of your extremely limited options suck, and plenty of them are designed around making you fall into an instant death zone if you get touched at any point.

The Metroidvania's usually avoid all of that and suddenly the game is 10x easier because you don't control like shit and there aren't instant death zones every 2 steps.

>> No.5682359

>>5682350
No shit, you idiot. They are platformers, the challenge therein being jump between platformers and not falling into pits.

>> No.5682365

>>5682359
Other platformers don't usually have you control like a flying brick. Thats a special CV thing more or less. All of the old CV's are extremely stiff by platformer standards. The Metroidvania ones have much smoother overall character movement and controls.

>> No.5682383

if you want hard castlekino, just play Ninja Gaiden

>> No.5682393

>>5682383
>was watching Gamecenter CX
>just watched the Ninja Gaiden episode
>owned NG as a kid but never really got to the end of it
>see what I missed as a child
3 fucking boss fights in a row and if you die in any of them you get sent back 3 fucking stages, holy fuck. Thats just cruel.

>> No.5682413

>>5682365
Only 1, 3, and Bloodlines have the stiff, tanky jump controls. The other Classicvanias relaxed the gameplay a bit, with IV being the most extreme example of loose, floaty movement.

>> No.5682416

>>5682383
Not really castlekino more shinobivania

>> No.5682442

>>5682413
Surprise, 4's probably one of the easiest classics too.

>> No.5682462

>>5682442
inb4 you get flamed by the "rondo is easiest because muh bible" sperg

>> No.5682469

>>5682393
just wait until you get to the final boss
you are not gonna like what they did there
and the sequel did it even worse

>> No.5682489

>>5682462
There's not just 1 guy saying that about Rondo, though. Also doesn't negate the fact 4 is one of the easiest Castlevania games (Classic style). IV, Rondo and Bloodlines are the easiest. With IV being the hardest of these because of the last levels. Bloodlines might get close to being as hard if you play on hard mode, but it still comes off as a pretty easy experience.
I'd say it's IV>BL>Rondo in terms of most difficult to least. But none of them gets as hard as SNES Dracula X or X68000.

>> No.5682491

>>5680769
Yea, grinding = win. Damn shame. Would have preferred if they made it where you had to find new skills and equipment a lot more.

>> No.5682493
File: 280 KB, 510x856, 1558852100731.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>igavanias

>> No.5682502

>>5682489
Out of those 3 Rondo took me the longest to 1cc. Then again, I didn't know how broken the bible was at the time and never used it (preferred the axe instead). The Bible guy just sounds like he watched a speedrun and decided Rondo was easiest because you can cheese it, even though you can do the same thing with 1 and 3 when you have roman numeral tiles. 4 doesn't need cheese strats at all though, it's just that babby-tier.

>> No.5682516

>>5682502
Really? Rondo was the first one I 1cc'd. Unless you mean 100%, but finding all the secrets without looking up guides is a different kind of challenge, more relaxed.
>Axe
Axe is alright but it's not very useful for spear guards and knights, which are plenty on Rondo. How did you stick with it? Cross is infinitely better, even holy water. But the first time you ever get the bible, you notice just how powerful it is because of the range. You also get it on a room with hunchbacks, in a way the game is telling you "oh hey, here's some annoying enemies, but we give you this item to deal with them and any enemy on the game easily".
In no way are rank III numeral subweapons from 1 and 3 more broken than the bible. Sure holy water stunts enemies infinitely in 1, but it doesn't compare to the way bible just wrecks everything on screen (similar to Bloodlines' blue orb, which they tried to balance by making you lose it if you get hit)

>> No.5682561

Castlevania threads should be a bannable ofense.

>> No.5682705

>>5682365
That's the whole appeal of the series. You need to commit to your moves, everything is very deliberate. The controls are very responsive and make them fun to play.

Floaty platformers don't feel as good to play.

>> No.5682902

>>5680769
SotN is more of an atmospheric experience like a JRPG than a challenge. That's why it's so comfy to play around Halloween with the lights out and the smell of fall in the night air.

Not every game has to be a true challenge. And there's tons of challenge to be had in the Castlevania series.

>> No.5682913

>>5682902
There's an inherent issue with making that type of game challenging. With so much backtracking, powerful enemies would make it more tedious than it already is. Not sure what the fix is other than to make them shorter and minimize the backtracking.

>> No.5682936

>>5682913
You just described Dark Souls, and look how much people love that series.

>> No.5682940

>>5682913
Indeed. I find both styles of CV games fun however. The substance in both types is what I play for. I think that people who don't get this are just emotionless faggots who probably have no business outside of insane asylums. Same kinda assholes who ruin society in general.
SotN is atmosphere and exploration taking advantage of the disc space offered by its CD medium. CV3 as an alternate is a game about precise action, memorization, and just being badass enough to meet and kill motherfucking Dracula. Both experiences to be enjoyed.

The real crime is, Castlevania games are no longer made.

>> No.5682949

>>5682913
When backtracking you can just jump over most enemies though, especially with double jump (and entirely with form of bat)

>> No.5682960

>>5682936
Different kind of game.

>> No.5682974

>>5682913
The bat dash and wolf dash and gas form are good for ignoring enemies when you’re just trying to get somewhere.

Or the teleportation rooms. It would still work.

>> No.5682980

>>5682940
The market for short, challenging, but replayable platformers is just not there. People will beat it on turbo-easy difficulty in an hour then complain that there's no content. Just the way it is.

This is why I play retro games still. If you like the traditional platformer genre, you get maybe one good new one per year if you're lucky.

>> No.5683161

>>5680769
You autists don't appreciate the many ways this game can be enjoyed in so far as difficulty is concerned. Do a luck code run without using any save points. Or any enemy drop run where you must equipped each item dropped as it is dropped (pick up a hide cuirass at level 30,tough shit, equip it)

>> No.5683168

>>5683161
I like SOTN, but the main thing is that, no matter how much you try to self-impose challenge, classicvania challenge just won't be there, because this is a different genre of game altogether.

>> No.5683212
File: 349 KB, 672x413, 6-2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5682393
>spend forever trying to get past pic related 6-2
>finally reach the final boss and get decked by the 2nd phase
>start back in 6-1 and realize I have to play 6-2 again
I would go as far to say that its the biggest kick to the nuts of any game ever

>> No.5683229

>>5683212
Worse is Ghosts 'n Goblins, where once you finally beat the final boss you get sent back to the beginning of the game and have to replay the entire game with increased difficulty to get to the real final boss.

>> No.5683231

Yes, you can beat this game without any effort whatsoever. Why do you think nu-/vr/ fellates it so hard?

>> No.5683234

>>5683161
You could make that claim for almost any game since you could drastically increase the difficulty by trying to speedrun them. Player-imposed challenges don't count towards the actual difficulty of a game IMO.

>> No.5683257

>>5680769
>>5681547
Early retro games needed to be harder to give them longevity because of short memory space.
Newer castlevanias and [games in general] don't need that crutch, so they tend to be easier to pick up and play, but hard to master.

>>5681819
Post your World Record replay of SOTN. If it's so easy you should be able to do something impressive in it really quick and easy.

>> No.5683260

>>5683257
>Post your World Record replay of SOTN. If it's so easy you should be able to do something impressive in it really quick and easy.
If you to impose the difficulty yourself then the *game* isn't difficult, only your unnecessary style of playing it is.

>> No.5683269

>>5682960
Funny, because theres quite a few Dark Souls-alike 2D games that are also basically Metroidvania's. Honestly, all you'd really need to do is just make a Metroidvania have a more active battle system than "slash at the enemy with maybe a backhop".

>> No.5683294

>>5683260
it's not necessary to even beat a game, so all effort you put into a game could be an "unnecessary style of play" according to your logic. Which is retarded.
People who are interested in difficult games usually approach them with personal challenges in mind, a 1cc, a NMNB, a high score, a speedrun, a no death, whatever, these are all personal challenges. Even beating the final boss on easy settings and credit feeding is a personal challenge.
If you're against personal challenges but for difficult games you're just here to argue pointlessly and stir shit.

>> No.5683302

>>5683294
>it's not necessary to even beat a game, so all effort you put into a game could be an "unnecessary style of play" according to your logic.
For some reason people on this board, such as yourself, seem to have no ability to distinguish things in a rational manner.
>If you're against personal challenges
And when did I say that? But the fact remains, you can make this claim about any game. Just play it blindfolded -- voila, it's now very hard. That doesn't say anything about the game itself.

>> No.5683317

>>5683302
>But the fact remains, you can make this claim about any game.
>just play it blindfolded
Now you're making absurd analogies by using obscure challenges that no one in the community cares about. When someone asks for a SOTN WR they aren't asking for something stupid like playing it in the dark, but for legit challenges people actually compete over...And there's plenty of challenge there.

> But the fact remains, you can make this claim about any game.
That's why shitting on a game's difficulty misses the point. Competitive players who enjoy a game will find ways to master it and take it apart and draw challenge out of it.

> That doesn't say anything about the game itself.
Difficulty doesn't say much about a game either. Whether its good or bad, or worth beating, or worth doing challenges in. People can take an easy Kirby game and push it to the limits and do things in it that takes tons of practice.
You just want to shit on a game for it's default normie challenge and take an elitist view of it (HURRR BACK IN MY DAY GAMES WERE HURD!!). Ya woopty doo,, we've heard this silly argument before, and it's been beaten to death.

>> No.5683378

>>5680769
Yes, playing SotN is like playing football with crippled goths.

>> No.5683380

>>5683378
I knew this goth chad at school who was the best in the football team. Guy made all my school's girls taste goth dick.

>> No.5683403

>>5683380
Yes, but, as I said, in SotN all the goths are also crippled.

>> No.5683452

>>5682365
The enemy placement and levels are built around the restricted movement so it's not really a negative at all.

>> No.5683463

>>5683229
Thats called loops, a standard in arcade games they allowed you to get more playtime and extra challenge out of a game per coin if youre good enough. Castlevania has them too, and it also gets more difficult with each one even adding some new enemies.

>> No.5683484

>>5683294
Woah slow down, there is a big difference between intuitive challenges that mix well with the gameplay like 1cc/nmnb/time attack in racers and self imposed speedrunning challenges in games that are built around exploration, collecting shit and taking your time. The former is just doing what the game asks you to do well, the latter is skipping a huge chunk of the games content and coming up with a completely different set of rules and goals, practically making a new game out of SoTN's assets. Its no replacement for baseline challenge, or intuitive self imposed challenges like a no death run.

>> No.5683518

>m-muh jarpigvanias intentionally designed for shitbabbies that couldn't handle real castlevania games can be hardcore too!!

lmao. cope harder pathetic igafags

>> No.5683521

>>5683317
>Now you're making absurd analogies by using obscure challenges that no one in the community cares about.
???
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHmbc5b7FDw

>> No.5683529

>>5683463
At the end of loop 1 GnG specifically tells you that you haven't beaten the game, though.

>> No.5683754

>>5683302
>Competitive players who enjoy a game will find ways to master it and take it apart and draw challenge out of it.

In my experience, this almost always entails ignoring 80% of a game's content, and making it a lot less fun as a result. A game like SotN is somewhat more challenging if you don't use any equipment, items, magic, or transformations, but at that point I'm not really sure what point there is in playing the game. I would generally much rather play a game that has some challenge by default rather than sacrificing all of an easy game's features and strengths in an attempt to create a challenge.

>> No.5684010

>>5680769
Wow your zoomer ass must be really bad at video games

>> No.5684019

>>5683463
Yes, and Makaimura/GnG games can only be beaten on second loop. The first loop always cuts right before the final boss.

>> No.5684025

>>5683529
>>5684019
No you're thinking of Ghouls onwards, the first game didn't have any extra content locked behind loops, you still fought Astaroth at the end of loop 1 just as you did in loop 2. Only thing you got was a goofy little bit of ending text, and the game didn't even stop going it kept looping past that point.

>> No.5684048

>>5684025
>the first game didn't have any extra content locked behind loops
Yes it did: the weapon and the ending animation. Not the boss though, so you're correct in that.

>> No.5684082

>>5684048
Nope, you get the cross/shield from stage 4 onwards in both loops, it's not even possible to clear the first loop without using the shield. Again you're thinking of Ghouls onwards. It's just the kiss & text, quite meaningless.

>> No.5684085

>>5684082
No, what? What do you mean it's not possible to clear the first loop without the shield? I don't remember that. I'm talking about the arcade MM Revision G. What version are you talking about? Is it something int he Western version or the home console ports?

>> No.5684092

>>5684085
That's exactly what I'm talking about, if you finish stage 6 without the shield it boots you back to stage 5 until you get it, if you do have it you can fight the final boss and then the game loops. Works the same way both loops. If you wanna try just farm the imp spawns at the beginning of the bridge in stage 4.

>> No.5684098

>>5684092
Oh right, now I remember, you're right, it throws you back to stage 5. You're actually correct.

>> No.5684119

>>5681865
I wasn't even thinking about the overpowered cape, SMW in general is too forgiving with extra lives, powerups, Yoshi's free hit/double jump and checkpoints, something you don't see in SMB3 for example

>> No.5684127

>>5684098
Yeah I can see how it can get confusing after playing sequels where the weapon and tlb don't show up until loop 2, the first game's the odd one of the bunch

>> No.5684216

>>5683231
Except nu-/vr/ hates this game. Nice try zoomers.

>> No.5684218

Cringe thread btw.

>> No.5684227

>>5684216
/vr/'s always been pro-classicvania, anti-igavania. Nice attempt at fitting in zoomer.

>> No.5684237

>>5684082
Technically you can get a rosary drop from the level 3 boss, it's extremely rare however.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhWgGx-GZnc

>> No.5684273

>>5684227
>Muh classic circlejerk
Embarrassing

>> No.5684276

>>5684237
Which version is that though? Could be a bug in the Western release.

>> No.5684287

>>5684273
IGAvanias are easy and derivative, and even the artstyle falls apart comletely after HoD. Most of us liked them when we were teens, but now we need games that are much more substantial than crawling a challenge-free map and watching room percentage grow.

>> No.5684294

>>5684287
Keep pretending you speak for everyone zoomer.

>> No.5684308

>>5684294
I'm explaining the common sentiment that people who prefer classicvanias to igavanias often share.

>> No.5684365

>>5683257
>post your world record
Is this the dumbest defense of an retardedly easy game ever posted? The argument being if a random anon isn't a world record level player at a specific game then his claims of that game being easy are nullified??? What were you thinking with this tripe?

>> No.5684383
File: 41 KB, 600x800, 1506329745815.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5683294
Difficulty curve is an integral part of the game design. If it's done badly, the game is bad.
The player may choose to personally fix this design flaw with soft or hard mods (like imposed penalties or outright code modifications), but that woud not change the fact that the original game is still terrible.
For example, if I re-edit a terrible movie to make it kinda cool and even poignant, I'd be amazing but the movie'd still be shit and its original authors are still hacks.

>> No.5684907

>>5681863
>game is hard because of the gameplay
Well, yeah.

>> No.5684929

Not every game has to be insanely hard to be good, Dark Souls nugamer children.

>> No.5684958

>>5684929
Sorry your body's too old and feeble to enjoy hard games, gramps.

>> No.5685290

All those waifufags on /v/ are struggling with Bloodstained, its hilarious

>> No.5685294

>>5684929
OP here. I didnt even say the game was bad, although many defensive people seem to assume so.

Although, really, being too easy can be an issue. When you can breeze through one-shotting everyone and taking 1 damage per hit, there's no incentive to use any of the cool stuff like familiars, weapons special attacks, spells, etc.

>> No.5685302

>>5681869
Cv1 is trivialized by the holy water, so by your logic it's just as easy

>> No.5685323
File: 3.20 MB, 1190x1800, 23995565_p0.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I never thought I would see the day but I think castlevaniafags might just actually be as pretentious as shumpfags and 1ccfags. Hell, I think we've even reached the point where fucking /v/ has better discussion on this series. Why the fuck do so many pretentious faggots come to these threads?

>> No.5685329

>>5685323
>elitism hurts muh feefees
fuck off back to /v/ then

>> No.5685332

>>5685323
/v/ has become a fantastic place for discussion, since /vg/ is containment for underageb& and /vr/ is, well, fucking disappointing.

>> No.5685340

>>5685332
>/v/ has become a fantastic place for discussion
You cannot possibly actually think this.
>waifu thread
>tits
>loli
>gay
>bait
>twitter screenshot
>actual video game discussion
>more bait
>more tits

>> No.5685342

>>5685329
We get it, you played X68000 for five minutes and think you deserve something for playing a video game.

>> No.5685353

>>5685342
I've 1LC'd every Classicvania, cleared the loops of several of them, own all the games both US and JP version, done LV1 runs in and have/held WR speedrun times in many categories of various Castleroid games.

Get on my fucking level, /v/ermin.

>> No.5685550

>>5685353
Welp I have personal life. Now get on MY level.

>> No.5685606

>>5683452
i'm disappointed this wasn't said immediately. Guy's a fuckin dip

>> No.5685638

>>5685332
>/v/
>fantastic
it's literally nothing but twitter screenshots, journo headlines, and screaming and crying and shitting themselves the instant a female character shows up wearing more than one square inch of clothing. nobody there plays games, it's literally all refugees from reddit shitposting.

>> No.5685649

>>5685332
/v/ will occasionally have some decent threads, sure, but the vast majority is just shitposting. It is very disappointing to see /vr/'s decline in the past few years though.

>> No.5685650

>>5685329
have sex

>> No.5685710

>>5685550
>>5685650
Normies Get Out

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.5685737

Castlevania fans are retarded.

>> No.5686021

>>5680769
Then you should be able to handle a Richter run, then.