[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 131 KB, 800x1039, 859ca188-029d-4bd0-bc70-75bdad93bd07.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5576482 No.5576482 [Reply] [Original]

watching a let's play of this on YT. i tried playing this a few years ago and didn't quite understand the depth of it, since i just went in blind and didn't understand the mechanics. this looks like such a cool game now, i understand why it has such a cult following. figured i'd make a thread for fans of JA to talk about their fond memories, &c.

from what i understand 2 is an improvement over the original in every way, plus the mods, but the first one really captures the retro vibe so well in the art design and music.

the LP:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwBpE4V3jHA&list=PLFAXQDgHsOORGk95iIGd927gVXH5XjS6T&index=7

link to the manual
http://hideout.dvru.ru/Games/589/Files/jagged_man.pdf

>> No.5577543

>>5576482
>from what i understand 2 is an improvement over the original in every way

I played the JA1 for the 1st time a year or so back and found this statement to be true with one exception. In JA1 mercs' personalities have a greater impact on the gameplay. at least that's my impression. I just don't remember any merc giving me troubles in JA2, but maybe that's just the mercs I prefer

>> No.5579138

going to shamelessly bump my own thread.

so JA1 looks relatively simple to understand, but JA2 seems a little more intimidating at first. any tips for a beginner?

>> No.5579180

>>5577543
If you put some mercs together, they can get really antagonistic with each other. Almost all of them will say something like "I'll work with this guy only once. If you keep him in this group, I'm out", while others will react very negatively if a friend of theirs dies. This happens mostly if Iceman dies, a lot of high-skill mercs like him.

If you're not sure or don't want to look up at the wiki, just gauge their initial reaction and keep them in separate groups (and separate map squares).

>>5579138
If you hold either ALT or CTRL (I forgot which), you can move while walking backwards or sideways. This is useful so you don't break line-of-sight to someone or get into a bad spot: if you just move normally and there's a building with a door to your right, your character can be interrupted by someone inside that building, because the enemy will see you first. If you move sideways, you can mitigate this somewhat. Moving backwards is when you're near the walls of building and want to see if there's someone up there on the roof.

Get some strong guy that's strong with shotguns or machineguns, give him the heaviest armor you can, and have him be your "breacher". He'll open doors and try to sweep rooms beforehand your main force comes. Don't just make a team full of snipers, because it doesn't work like that.
If there are many enemies inside a building, shoot the windows and throw grenades inside. Later on, you can mortar roofs. There's only a single mission where this can be troublesome, because there's a building with a ton of fuel inside - it'll explode spectacularly if throw grenades inside. But I think they mention it in the briefing.
Don't try to lone wolf every mission, just using your best character. Move in duos or trios.

>> No.5579186

Even if you think it's not necessary, move your best character in one direction and have two others flank the enemy. Like, if you know there's an enemy right around the corner, see if you can go all the way around them with another character - then attack them from both sides.

When you create your character, put 85 points on Wisdom. This is because high Wisdom makes it easier to level your skills up, and you want it sooner rather than later. You CAN level up Wisdom, but it's so troublesome it's not worth it.

Try to find the helicopter and its pilot as soon as possible. It saves a ton of hassle down the line. I only found him near the end of my first playthrough - I didn't know I could use the helicopter to transport stuff, and ended up using the guy with the ice cream truck (Hamous), which takes a longer time.

>> No.5579191
File: 18 KB, 750x296, 1557090459976.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5576482
>watching a let's play

Come back when you actually play it

>> No.5579350

Play Deadly Games and use the level editor