[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 472 KB, 1600x1200, FO1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5200041 No.5200041 [Reply] [Original]

Post your character thread

Show off your character and what you are trying to do at the moment.

Just got to Junktown and about to spy on Gizmo.

>> No.5200092 [DELETED] 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SzN9LitpFyWqjd0c3tSJim_3uByTqn0p

>> No.5200117

>>5200041
Oldie but goodie standard character. Have fun with him!
Is this a Fallout-only thread?

>> No.5200123

>>5200117
Naw if you are playing a game with some sort of character creator post them. I

t's my first time playing. Was going to go a bit more Charisma but everything I've read said that even if you are going down a silver tongue character Charisma can easily be a dump stat.

>> No.5200128

>>5200123
yeah Charisma doesn't do anything in Fallout 1 at all because the original p'n'p system Fallout is based on doesn't have a Charisma stat but a number of charismatic skills like Speech and they just kinda tacked Charisma on without giving it any meaningful impact

i think with a high enough Charisma you can get like maybe 8-9 unique dialogue options and none of them are particularly relevant to anything

in Fallout 2 it determines how many companions you run but it's still a dumpable stat because Fallout 2 doesn't really make managing a party particularly fun

>> No.5200135

>>5200128
Yeah if I have one issue with FO1 so far is inventor management. Not only is sorting my inventory annoying but having to deal with your pack mules. The idea of having to steal Ian just to manage our stuff is something that makes my head hurt. Also learn the hard way of not giving him the SMG. Decided to just kill the raiders and he shredded me with it.

>> No.5200140

>>5200135
After a while they all become glorified packmules as they can't really keep up with you in combat and they never level up their HP. They also all meet tragic deaths according to canon.

Fallout 2 lets you give them general hints on how to operate but your control is still limited. They're stronger overall and being a "charismancer" build based on minion followers is actually viable, but still not a particularly great combatant unless you want to play a high CH female character for the lewds - there's quite a few people you can sleep with in the Wasteland for benefits ranging from cash to just random dialogue. So Charisma is marginally better.

Charisma is actually unironically at its best in Fallout Tactics and that's just kinda a testament to how failed the stat is.

>> No.5200157

>>5200140
Yeah Ian I can see is going to just be a pain 90% of the time. Sometimes he pulls out the gun I gave him other times he is trying to stab them. Dogmeat I feel is going to be worse of the bunch since you can't even give any direction and just hope he doesn't do anything really dumb.

>> No.5200160

>>5200157
>Yeah Ian I can see is going to just be a pain 90% of the time. Sometimes he pulls out the gun I gave him other times he is trying to stab them.
NPCs in Fallout only use weapons that they have coded in animations for, so for example Ian will never use a two-handed weapon. You can game the weird system by simply never giving him any Knives and guns other than the one you're actually intending him to use; too often do I see the AI run out of bullets and, instead of reloading, switching to a 10mm pistol that I forgot to sell two towns ago.

>> No.5201782

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1SzN9LitpFyWqjd0c3tSJim_3uByTqn0p

>> No.5202739

Just finished FO1, and enjoyed it quite a bit thought it's a bit short and straight forward. How much different is 2? I hear conflicting reports of it being either over the top zany trash or the best or the best entry in the series.

>> No.5202848

>>5202739
All I can say is you won't regret at least giving it a try, because it IS a classic for a good number of reasons even if some people have solid reasons to prefer FO1 over it. It's not a terrible game, it's not even a highly divisive game; the people really vocal about the zaniness are, I believe, a minority. But you might join them, who knows? You gotta try. I think it's worth it.

>> No.5202868

>>5202739
Also 2 starts a bit slower (you're in a tribe and the Temple of Trials / Arroyo / Klamath loop takes a bit longer to kick off than Shady Sands -> Vault 15 -> (Raiders) -> Junktown), but a greater variety of builds works (more weapons, much better options available for Unarmed and Melee).

I think FO2 will be mostly preferred by gamist people who also like exploring new areas, solving huge quest lines and enjoying options that provide replayability, and I find FO1 is mostly preferred by people who love Fallout as the proof of its own concept - an RPG with an extremely reactive, imaginative world that has a lot of internal integrity.

>> No.5202878

>>5200041
>Awareness
Why does everyone pick this useless, useless perk when Swift Learner is right there? A typical playthrough ends at level 22ish, which is good for nearly 13,000 xp. It's like taking Here and Now 4 times.

>> No.5202890

>>5202878
>It's like taking Here and Now 4 times.
Here and Now isn't a particularly great perk by itself (I'd rather use levels to get perks instead of using perks to get levels, as bonus skillups and some bonus HP earlier isn't that big of a deal in a world of free books and instakill crits).
If you value bonus skills, you might as well get something like Thief for an instant bang for your buck.
Awareness lets you calculate your odds in combat better and is just convenient to know if your opponents have burst weapons or not, especially if you don't know all the weapon sprites by heart or if some are not so obvious (like whether the opponents have Assault Rifles or just regular single-shooting Huntings).
Also, in my experience, Fallout 1 ends at like, level 16-17, which makes the perk even less lucrative. I've never seen "the twenties" in FO1, and I'm a completionist.
Really though, Level 3 doesn't have many fantastic perks at all, so it doesn't really matter what you pick. But Swift Learner doesn't look great to me and takes forever to pay any dividends (if any at all), and Awareness is at least a cool bonus mechanic, and something like Toughness or Quick Pockets could make you more capable in more meaningful ways.
But that's just me, I never took the perk, to tell the truth, I just never thought there was any math to support its use. Maybe I'm wrong!

>> No.5204656
File: 774 KB, 1360x768, my fave fallout 2 build.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]