[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 39 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4985969 No.4985969 [Reply] [Original]

What do you guys think?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZWZkFXT4NgM

>> No.4985973

I think I'll skip this one.

>> No.4985976

>>4985973
OP here. I don't think I've ever disagreed with Brody more.

>> No.4985978

>>4985969
Brody I usually like your videos but you got some dumb fucking opinions in this one. When people talk about game preservation they're talking about making sure the game will be possible to play long after all the original copies are no longer obtainable or usable.

>> No.4985981

>>4985978
I know, right? Acting like disc rot isn't an inevitability for every copy. It will happen sooner or later.

>> No.4985986

You're a dumb cunt with dumb cunt opinions.

>> No.4985992

>>4985969
the fat dork is right

>> No.4985995

Stopped at that supremely retarded Picasso analogy.

>> No.4986001

I think that guy needs his head bashed in.

>> No.4986006
File: 2.25 MB, 377x280, don't copy that 4tb USB.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4986009

Look at all that shit in the background. He's probably a hoarder/reseller parasite and doesn't want emulation hurting his scummy little cottage industry.

>> No.4986016

>>4985981
Not even natural causes either. Original copies and hardware will dwindle over time just from being passed around enough until they eventually reach someone who is too careless to handle them properly. That and there's such a thing as freak accidents. Hell what about televisions changing as the years go by? Highly doubt composite will even be a thing 50-100 years from now let alone there being many compatible TVs for that left. The whole point of preservation is to keep things in a state where a lot of these outcomes can be circumvented, having a pile of NES carts isn't going to do that.

>> No.4986021

>>4986016
Yeah but what about NOW? The guiltless parasite in the video has to make money from reselling games NOW and emulation is hurting his business. Who gives a shit about preservation? That doesn't make him money.

>> No.4986061

Corporate shill.

The developers who made these old games were lucky to get their names in the credits, they sure as hell don't see a penny from parasitic rights holders selling digital copies (often in emulated form) 30 years later.

>> No.4986069

>>4985969
I don't care. I copy stuff because I can, and I don't need anyone to tell me I'm a good boy.

>> No.4986072

>>4986069
I wish I was as non-neurotic as you.

>> No.4986079

>>4985969
Anti-pirates are the biggest fags.

>> No.4986109

>>4985992
Laughed way to hard at this

>> No.4986372

>>4985969
You mean the guy who agrees with doxxing people? I think I'll pass.

Saging this shit thread.

>> No.4986383
File: 7 KB, 225x225, Emuparadise.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985969
>Emu paradise

>> No.4986390

>>4985969
Honestly sometimes it feels like people just wanna make anti-Jim videos almost out of habit because it's easy views. But when it comes to stuff like this you just look fucking dumb.

>>4986069
Also this. I'm not going to not do it to appease people who will never see or care about my lack of piracy regardless

>> No.4986421

Please do not post youtubers on this board.

Text is the optimal form of communication - not always of course, but a hefty fucking amount of the time, especially with these youtubers who try to stretch out their videos to get that adsense money.

If you wanted to you could write everything of value in 5 minutes of youtube in a couple of short sentences here, and usually nothing of value would be lost. I say all this as someone who's been and still is to some extent addicted to youtubers and video. Such a waste of time. Sometimes it's good at least "meme youtubers" show games, not for this type of situation, just give the fucking bullet points and be done with it.

>> No.4986441

piracy is good and never bad

>> No.4986447
File: 80 KB, 211x244, 1476709406335.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985969
That shit made me unsub. Sorry buddy, but the fact that you're an actual collector and still hold such dumbfuck opinions that you strongly believe in, is a little too much for me.

>> No.4986470

Brody, you're a good dude and I enjoy your content generally but that Picasso analogy was the wackest shit I've ever heard. Where you are right is that people should buy re-releases of games they care about, absolutely. If Nintendo think nobody gives a shit about retro games maybe that is on us. But there are far, far too many reasons to download roms to just handwave the whole thing as "you don't care enough". Comes across as very elitist collectorfag shit, and that's coming from one.

>> No.4986478

>>4986061
>they sure as hell don't see a penny from parasitic rights holders selling digital copies (often in emulated form) 30 years later.
That's assuming they even sell the game or put in the smallest amount of effort to make it available to customers.Now they just want to sell games as a service and make it so you only rent out a license that expires when they say so. What kind of good goy arguments could they possibly throw out that convinces me to get rid of my rights?

>> No.4986482

>>4986470
I still think buying a re-release means you support re-releases so they make sure you get more re-releases and not any new games.

>> No.4986484

Classic Final Fantasy games prior to 7 are wildly popular and re-releases of them sell greatly. I literally do not know a single person my age who played the games when they were released. Everyone loves these games. I wonder how everyone played them???

And that's really just pointing out the benefits. In reality, anything over 20 years old should be public domain.

>> No.4986508

>>4986482

I think it can work as an idea, for instance Sin and Punishment, which never got a western release at all, did big enough sales when it dropped on the Wii virtual console that it got a full-fledged sequel a few years later. The people that bought it gave them the data they needed and everybody won in the end. I can't think of many examples like this though, it usually goes how you described.

>> No.4986513

>>4985969
Anyone who defends companies using the argument of "defending muh IP" then they are unironically a shill.

>a few thousand people signing a petition online means nothing to these companies
but a few thousand people downloading a rom to an obscure game released 30 years ago isn't? use your brain dog.

>buy games to preserve them
Yes of course so when I finally find that rare game that hasn't been dumped it'll be preserved if and when my house is destroyed from a natural disaster! Great thinking brody!

>buy more re-releases so you can buy more re-releases.
OR I can get them for fucking free and save money. 5 dollars for a now 30 YEAR OLD game is absurd.

>Earthbound being on the top because no one bought the Wii U
Why the fuck are they limited to a single console? Why the fuck can't I play Earthbound legally on my fucking 3DS, Switch, Wii or literally any console POST SNES? I'm not going to pay 300 + 10 bucks to play fucking earthbound you fucking moron.

>the whole movie preservation thing
The game industry isn't doing so hot either. Without FAN DUMPED roms of games I'm betting nintendo couldn't release half of the games they do. Japs don't give a shit about history.

>entitled
Hate this meme. It's not entitlement. The argument regarding the Picasso painting is selfish and entitled. Preserving art and our culture is the duty of every citizen on earth, regardless of how it affects some retards paycheck.

>> No.4986519

>>4985969
>why we gamers need to understand those big companies practices
AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.4986532

>>4985969
I think this bullshit cunt-for-brains thread is off topic.

>> No.4986534

His argument for stuff that's in copyright limbo like AvP has got to be one of the dumbest things I've heard in a long time.

>> No.4986539

>>4986513
Whoa, hold up there anon. This sounds like toxic consumer entitlement. You know we don't deserve rights in this industry.

>> No.4986545

>>4986513
Bruh just buy an original copy and dump your own rom lmao who cares if it's rare as shit and you gotta pay $500 to a second hand seller with absolutely none of that money going to the company that made the game let alone the original developers lol quit being a lil bitch

>> No.4986552
File: 252 KB, 1905x939, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4986545
$5000 for Bonk CD or any of those other mail order only Turboduo games? Just buy it and stop being entitled.

>> No.4986576

>>4985969
>Jim

kindly off yourself.

>> No.4986593

>>4986576

looks like you're replying to yourself, dude.

i've written my share of pro-piracy screeds on /vr/ in recent threads. i'm a rambling and neurotic guy by nature. i have the typical nerd compulsion to be "lawful", doing illegal things always feels a bit uncomfortable for me.

i've been reading a lot about the subject and at this point i honestly have no doubt about the ethicality of piracy. it's alright to pirate. the fact that it's illegal still bothers me a bit because i'm a neurotic faggot, but i'll get over it.

you seem like you're a neurotic guy like me, and you know, maybe you need to chill a bit with the posts. i know that having people agree with you on your pro-piracy sentiment will make you feel less guilty about it, i too have a sadistic superego, i know what it's like.

(this will be my last faggy rambling post, sorry guys.)

>> No.4986605

8 bit brody is just a contrarian fag i have physical copies of all my games but really that eshop shit is like zero effort on nintendos part especially since they just use roms from the same websites they took down. make them cost 99 cents each and people will literally hoard roms i know I buy games on GoG that i already own when they go on sale really cheap.

>> No.4986615

>>4986552
you don't need to play any games tho
if you can't afford it then you don't deserve to play it

>> No.4986617

>>4986615
i can steal it and play it instead

>> No.4986618

>>4986615

"What a man can be, he must be." - Abraham Maslow

I will be a gamer. The law can't stop me.

>> No.4986626

>>4986617
but that's stealing!

>> No.4986653

This guy has stellar hair. Anchor Man.

>> No.4986730

>>4986615
We should be more vindictive about preservation, tho. If you enact your "Right to be Forgotten" by issuing a DMCA takedown, then you deserve to be forgotten, and we'll all move on to preserving everything else.

>> No.4986765

>>4985969
> be a youtube zoomer
> not knowing anything about piracy
> not knowing anything about fair pricing
kek
> install a translation patch
> perfectly legal
AHAHAH, nah. you wish.
> personally, as a game collector
and here is the problem. it's lamers like this that truly believe that people pirating ripped roms are de-valuating their collections. they want to be able to sell shit-tier games and sell it for insane sums. but fuck these guys! i'll keep pirating just to make clueless idiots like this mad.

keep crying, faggots. your bitter tears are delicious.

>> No.4986767

>>>/v/

>> No.4986775

>>4986615
I've bought plenty of software just so others could play it. It's nonsense like yours that doesn't hold up. not when there's people like me around that are more than happy to share my software collection with everyone that can't afford to buy overpriced originals. I'll probably keep doing this until I'm an incredibly old man. keep crying about it, it'll make no difference. I'm not in this so collectors can rip people off. there's absolutely nothing anybody can do about it. I get a lot of enjoyment out of watching people cry about being selfish. muh collection! i can't sell shit carts for several hundred! oh, it brings me so much joy, and confirms to me that I'm doing good in this world. same can't be said for retarded and neckbearded collector autists that do nothing for anybody.
>>4986767
you probably should fuck off back to there?

>> No.4986791

>>4986765
>zoomer
To be fair, 8-bit Brody looks like he's around 30.

>> No.4986798

>>4986775
You never dealt with people that buy un-dumped games and then they act like they own the copyright?

>> No.4986801

>>4986791
He looks like the kind of dude that was born into an upper middle class family and lives in his parents large basement, so he doesn't understand why people don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a single cart

>> No.4986807

>>4986801
From my limited exposure to him and his occasional shilling on here, his videos seemed to be firmly in that ironic humor territory, so he could very well just be taking this stance to get a rise out of people. I seem to recall another video where he basically mocked the notion of collecting games.

>> No.4986808

>>4986798
By dumping and releasing them for free, you mean?

>> No.4986821

>>4986808
"I only uploaded this for my buddies, how dare you reuploads my uploads!11!"

>> No.4986825

>>4986390
I don't think this guy's motivation was to just oppose Jim. I get the impression that he's genuinely anti-piracy for god knows what reason.

It's certainly not the reasons he mentions, because they're weak as fuck.

>> No.4986835

>>4986821
My point was if you have an undumped game, releasing it freely would be behaving as though you think you own the copyright.

>> No.4986838

>>4986807

Yeah Brody's a strange one, I'm sure he believes in what he's saying to at least a small degree but it's absolutely a ploy to grow his channel, calling out a bigger (lol) Youtuber and all that. I've talked with him when he's shilled his stuff on here before and he was always super pleasant, nothing like the video.

>> No.4986893

>dumb e-'''''celeb''''' says dumb thing

holy shit who would've though

>> No.4986910
File: 16 KB, 982x149, kek.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985969
Why is it wrong for emulation sites to make money from ads but okay for people to charge outrageous prices for retro games? Because I'd really like to know how the original developer sees a single cent of whatever's being paid. Also, not everyone is rich enough to spend hundreds of dollars per game and console or the space to house every single game they own. And he unintentionally proved why emulation SHOULD be allowed with his film analogies. And forget Chrono Trigger, what about all the clamour for games like Mother 3 and Seiken Densetsu 3, both of which were never released outside of Japan and are LITERALLY only available to play for westerners via emulation? If they really wanted my money for those games why don't they just localize them? Honestly this video just further convinced me that Nintendo was wrong and emulation SHOULD be allowed.

>> No.4986915
File: 120 KB, 1080x983, ITlnTa5febn reibo4wugi24ur0923-4gj2i4t star trek bait attention spock.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985969
>Jim Sterling

>> No.4986918

>>4986910
Because one is making money off digital products they have no right to distribute, and the other is selling a tangible object that is not tied to any licenses or such.

>> No.4986931

>>4986910
>Why is it wrong for emulation sites to make money from ads but okay for people to charge outrageous prices for retro games?
I think this was actually one of his better points, simply because it's legally valid. I disagree with it morally when it comes to emulation of gaming relics that are exorbitantly expensive or just grotesquely inconvenient to obtain (like pinball machines or just arcade games in general), but I fully agree that there's a general issue with people profiting off of someone else's copyrighted material.

When it comes down to it, I see it as a necessary evil just to have ROM sites and services around.

>> No.4986959

Every time you hear someone insisting that we need to "understand" the publisher's position, you know you've encountered a gullible idiot. There is absolutely no duty on the side ofhe consumer to sympathise with a company, their only prerogative is to find the best and most convenient deal. If that means abandoning the "official" channels, then that's what they'll do. Modern re-releases kept hostage on specific platforms is anything but convenient in a world where pre-6th gen systems can be emulated on a fucking phone.

>> No.4988017

>>4986959

As Gabe once said, Piracy is a service problem. Make a legitimate attempt to match the convenience it has and things can change. It's happened for music, it's happened for movies, it can happen for video games if they'd actually fucking try at all.

>> No.4988026

>>4988017
>It's happened for music, it's happened for movies

sure, but spotify and netflix suck. hipsters still use soulseek to download music. cinephiles still torrent movies. piracy is organic, decentralized, anti-fragile, unstoppable. it will always be superior. official services cater to middlebrow tastes, and even by middlebrow standards they fall short.

>> No.4988062

>>4988017
Fucking this. People have been playing entire easy to access retro libraries for the last 20 years which can be easily transferred to any system. Single digital copies of these games are not worth $6-$20 only to have them arbitrarily abandoned in 5 years when they release a new system. If Nintendo offered low cost lifetime licences to their individual games they would make infinite money overnight.

>> No.4988093

>>4985969
Why does this particular youtuber whale and his opinions matter here?
Won't dignify his video with a click, not even a rage click.

>> No.4988095

>>4988026

I do some of those too but let's face it, we're a bunch of autist nerds that have been online forever and know our way around. Completely defeating piracy is impossible but those platforms can (and did) minimize its impact by convincing Joe Sixpack on the street that their service is hassle-free compared to finding torrents. Nintendo on the other hand is completely out of touch, they legitimately think they can beat it and that's what they're trying to do instead of providing a compromise.

>> No.4988123

>>4985969
I think stealth youtube attention whore thread

>> No.4988171

>>4988026
MOVIES ARE STILL OVERPRICED
sorry caps lock movies are a different story. games and music are doing a lot better though.

>> No.4988230

>>4986615
>if you can't afford it then you don't deserve to play it
>having wealth immediately means you deserve it
wew boy you've got some growing up to do

>> No.4988245

>>4988123

There's no stealth about it, 8-Bit Brody posts and shills here openly.

>> No.4988248

>>4988093
ikr. It seems like with the current generation anyone who puts themselves on video is entitled to 10 minutes of bsing and everyone should watch and react to it. At least meme youtubers like MJR are known, these random youtubers with hardly any subscribers and yet you have all these chumps who start watching it and replying. THE GUY IS A RANDOM DUDE, probably younger than a lot of/most people here. I can talk as well, why not listen to me for ten minutes as I say random shit.

>> No.4988259

People have the right tô enjoy retro stuff. Fuck that whathisname.

>> No.4988261

I disagree with his views on the virtual console. The people who wanted and had the ability to purchase those games did, it worked exactly as it should. I agree with his assertion that some people are going to pirate games anyway, no matter what. At the end I don't see a point to this debate or whatever. Nintendo has a right to their property, some of us aren't going to care, this will never change.

>> No.4988713
File: 206 KB, 882x874, 1437061239250.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985969
Please keep the e-celeb garbage in /v/.

>> No.4988848

>>4986775
People like you are my heroes, riding white NAS enclosures into the sunset in my mind. Thank you for your archiving.

>> No.4988871
File: 38 KB, 570x428, psx time.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I.p. on media like that should run out with support for the system. If they cannot continue to support their systems past the 5-10 year mark, I really think it should go free. Perhaps at a certain age from release date? I feel the same way with music. At some point, you will have memorized a few Beatles songs. Everyone knows them by heart. Megaman is no different. Should be able to roll on over to the gamestop, buy be a brand new copy of Zelda (in shit grey but w/e) for my NES system. I would pay for that. Full price. $40-$60 more?, no problem...does it come with the fold out map? Cool! Sony could reprint CDs & DVDs for days for no cost, and I would consider quite a few titles. Order online, and get a fresh one sent to your house if that's what it takes. 6-8 weeks. No sweat.

This isn't the moon landing. Chinese have reverse engineered games. Nintendo/Sega/Sony/Microsoft did not loose the technology to craft these games again for our OEM systems. I don't even care if its the same boards/layout so long as the games are the same & are supported by the console manufacturer. I think there would be HUGE potential there, and it would totally nuke any argument for theft.

I know this is unrealistic, but I don't think it unreasonable. However, I think the damage has already been done. Flash carts are everywhere. Cd burners are cheap.

I.p. is a business in itself.
Also, I have a few old things in boxes...computer games etc. They have the bullshit where you fill it out and mail it in for dumb shit like the PSX magazine. its 20 years old. What would they do if they got that in the mail today?

>> No.4988953

Hey guys, Brody here. Just saw this thread. Why are you all so assblasted?

>> No.4988956

>>4988953
>Brody
Who?

>> No.4988960

>>4988956
Good point.

>> No.4988961

>>4988960
>Good point.
Its not a point. Who is Brody? I don't follow.

>> No.4988964

>>4988961
It's okay. I don't, either.

>> No.4988968

>>4988953
suck my dick brody

>> No.4988972

>>4985995
If Picasso exists as a piece of visual artwork, games exist as interactive artwork. Sure, part of the experience is the hardware, but that's the difference between seeing Mona Lisa in person or playing the emulator. But the biggest problem with that analogy is a painting lasts a lot longer than consumer grade electronics. Even 360s red ringed and ps3phats overheated. Go back to the 80s and use original hardware, you're risking the equivalent red ring on whatever hardware

>> No.4988973

>>4988123
OP here. I'm not Brody and was irked by his comments. Thought it might be worthy of discussion.

>> No.4988975

>>4988961
Brody is the person in the video who posted the thread and all the positive responses and who has 7 subscribers. He is trying to fulfill his life's ambition of becoming a shitty meme youtuber because it beats working other non-skilled jobs.

>> No.4988990

>>4988968
<3
>>4988972
I realize now that the Picasso example wasn't the best. I'd equate it to seeing a band you like. If they play in your town, and you can't afford a ticket, or even if you could, but they sold out before you could buy one, are you entitled to see the band, just because you really want to? Is it right to sneak into their show?

I, personally, have no moral qualms with piracy. The point of the video was to highlight the entitlement present in this hobby, and the hypocrisy of people like Sterling. I guarantee if someone took one of his videos that he had deleted and re-uploaded it "because he wasn't making it available to the public," he'd throw a fucking fit.
>>4988973
Sorry I rustled you. I expected people to disagree with me on the subject, but I was not anticipating the assblasting I seem to have caused.
>>4988975
I never start threads, especially ones about myself. I do lurk here, but I only shill myself on /v/. The rest of it's true, though. I'm a huge piece of shit.

>> No.4989000

>>4988990
Why don't you admit you only hate roms and piracy because it hurts your parasitic reselling cottage industry.

>> No.4989005

>>4988990
you seem like a good guy, forgive my rude words.

>> No.4989009

>>4989000
I'm not a reseller. As I mentioned in my video, were you to watch the whole thing, roms don't affect game prices whatsoever, nor do re-releases. If anything, they generate interest and raise prices on old games.
>>4989005
Not sure which one you are, but thanks. Like I said, I do want to talk about this with people, because I know I'm in the minority with this line of thinking. I just feel like these companies won't do anything to help gamers if we don't respect and value their medium. What do you think would be a good practice that could please both sides?

>> No.4989013

>>4989009
Release more than their top 20 popular games on digital shops and roll over digital purchases across their consoles.

Nintendo fucked up big time with this.

>> No.4989017
File: 79 KB, 774x1010, x-box-360-vs-n64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4988975
>Brody is the person in the video
Oh, I didn't even watch it. I just wanted to discuss the concept of Intellectual property and the impact of consumers.

I didn't realize we had an up and coming sensation. I just watched it, and sometimes people look just like the ideas they have.

>>4988990
>If they play in your town, and you can't afford a ticket,
Are they playing all the time in my town that I can just go to the (Gamestop) concert hall and listen when I have the financial resources and/or time?

Dark side of the moon was in the top 500 of music charts for over 2 decades.

>>4988990
>entitlement
If they want to protect their product, they should continue to produce it. If they have abandoned it for "something" better, it should be open domain.

I think IP is a joke. If you own something, make something with it. Don't sit around waiting for others to stumble across it accidentally or intentionally. It would free up quite a bit of our legal system and change quite a bit across the industry.

Don't take my criticism of your opinion harshly or personally. I am cut-and-dry about how I feel, much like yourself and I respect that much. One big difference of our opinions is that my first system was an old atarii. Never having a digital solution until the last 2 generations does not help past generation systems. Sure I could download some shit for my Switch that was on the N64, but does that give you the right to regulate an artistic medium that people have memorized on hardware that your own company abandoned officially? Why does the software not follow the abandonment of the hardware?

>> No.4989018
File: 21 KB, 380x494, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4989009
>their medium

I don't need help from some out of touch, scumbag corporation to get games. They're the ones that don't give a shit about preservation.

>> No.4989028

>>4989013
I agree with that one. Nintendo does really drop the ball with this issue. How do you fix the problem with some of the late era Taito games on NES, though? There's no way those would get a VC release. Again, morality aside, what would be a good legal way to procure these items for people who don't want to spend more than the cost of a Ford Festiva?
>>4989017
Yes, they're playing right now.

Let's say they're not, though. Are you entitled to watch bootleg Led Zeppelin concert footage just because they're not touring?

I agree that the current IP laws are fucked, but unfortunately, they are what they are. I strongly disagree with people like Sterling encouraging people to do things like pirate Ice Climber because he feels like $4.99 is too much.

Some games have entered public domain. There are a few abandonedware sites that allow instant access to games with lapses in IP. The issue with sites like Emuparadise is that they are running ads while these rights are still owned by someone. Is it moral for Nintendo to go after them? Probably not, but it's within their legal right.

>>4989018
They're still the ones making it, though, man. The more we complain about them being out of touch and fighting with them, the more they think "consumers just don't know what they want."

>> No.4989035

>>4989028
Who gives a shit what they think? There will always be developers willing to fill holes in the market left by corporations that "think "consumers don't know what they want." See for example, survival horror, single player story games, RTS, etc... All genres that corporations "decided" we didn't want anymore.

>> No.4989038

>>4989035
Yeah, because people weren't buying them. The only thing that speaks to corporations is money. Sure, you can preserve all of these good, old games, but will they keep making good, new ones if they don't sell?

>> No.4989039

>>4985969
So what you're saying, if I wanna play Rondo of Blood, I'm gonna either have to buy a $60-$100 PSP on eBay with a $20-$40 copy of Dracula X Chronicles -- or I'll have to pay upwards of $400 for a TurboGraffix 16 and around $300 for a copy of Rondo of Blood that, hopefully, doesn't have Disc Rot. How about no.

>> No.4989041

>>4989038
Most of them already don't. When was the last time Konami made a good game?

>> No.4989050

>>4989039
I wasn't OP, but no, that's not what I'm saying. Emulation and piracy are not the same thing. Nobody in here seems to get that concept.

Regardless of morality, why do you think you have the legal right to play that game if you don't want to pay for it?

>>4989041
Konami is incredibly out of touch, but they make money with pachinko, and money talks. There aren't a whole lot of their games that are in super high demand that never saw a re-release, also.

>> No.4989052

>>4989028
>Yes, they're playing right now.
You may have missed my angle.

My point is that a video game is not a one night only limited release. It can be identically reproduced faithfully and accurately over and over. You cannot expect the same from a live concert.

I however, would go to play a live coded game. How do you think that would go?

Dark side of the moon came out on CD in 1993 if memory serves me correct. It has been on sale continuously & unaltered as the definitive "remastered". It is important that we are talking about digital medium, not analog sound waves that are limited to one audible example.

>>4989028
>Is it moral for Nintendo to go after them?
It doesn't matter I don't think. If people think it is immoral, it would make nintendo look like the big bad guy. If they think it just, then you can think of Emulation as the scoundrel.

It is entirely possible that both parties are going at this wrong, and have been for years. Roms will never go away. Backup and "archive" copies are something that is real, and legal but opens the door to trouble every time. It is unstoppable. People will just get more creative in where they distribute. At the end of the day, it will always be the individual who makes the choice on what is fair. We are well past the point that web site takedowns are going to do anything.

I own every game I have, and nothing newer then the Xbox or wii. I have certainly fixed things so that I never have to change a disc or cart ever again however. I can go to sleep at night knowing that I only have what I can afford. I don't judge anyone else either.

>> No.4989064
File: 289 KB, 850x1113, 18222701.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4989050
Hello.

>> No.4989067

>>4986825
>It's certainly not the reasons he mentions, because they're weak as fuck.
Elaborate

>> No.4989073

>>4989052
I see where you're coming from. I suppose a good example, then, would be the JJBA Phantom Blood movie from 2005. Should people be allowed to see a film that the creator pulled from theaters because he hated the final product?

I agree on your second point, as well. I think both parties need to come to a solution beyond "fuck you this thing belongs to me."

The only thing I think takedowns will do is make people fear litigation so much they make romhosting more challenging.

>>4989064
I meant home consoles games, but I concede that you are right with this one. to be fair, though, I'm seeing some on eBay for close to $300 USD, which is probably pretty comparable to what an arcade owner would have paid in 1993. What do you think would be a good solution for them to re-release it commercially?

>> No.4989083

>>4989073
Just put it on a digital storefront. They own the rights. It's a tiny little file and it would cost them nothing. They could download it from the internet for all I care since they probably threw out the source code 20 years ago. Though I'm sure they'd find a way to be contemptuous and fuck it up somehow.

>> No.4989092

>>4989083
>Though I'm sure they'd find a way to be contemptuous and fuck it up somehow.
I mean, yeah, that's Konami.

Like I said, though, man, you're preaching to the choir. If I didn't love games, I wouldn't have the collection that I do. I see absolutely nothing unethical about pirating a game that you literally cannot find anywhere else. I just take issue with people feeling like they're entitled to that game, and getting mad at developers for acting well within their legal rights. It'd be like sneaking into a movie and then getting mad when they throw you out; you know you weren't supposed to do that. It doesn't matter if you thought they wouldn't, or still think they shouldn't, care.

>> No.4989097

>>4989073
>Should people be allowed to see a film that the creator pulled from theaters because he hated the final product?
I feel that IF a product is released, and abandoned it should become free domain yes. Who has access to a "source" of this, and will they ever "release" it? That should be up to an owner of any abandoned "product". If there was no digital release, it might as well have vanished.

>>4989073
>romhosting more challenging

It will make "rom-hosting" more "underground, but in the cat and mouse game of claiming ownership of specific 1s & 0s, the people claiming rights are always a few steps behind. You can't stop china from making bootleg anything.

>>4989092
>It'd be like sneaking into a movie and then getting mad when they throw you out
Its more like them taking your VHS bootleg of Star wars Christmas Special from the net. They refuse to air it anymore. If they refuse to show their movie, they shouldn't get mad when people watch it from recordings.

>> No.4989109

>>4989092
Developers aren't sending DMCAs to rom sites. No one involved with the making of these games gives a shit.

>> No.4989117

>>4989109
In fact quite a lot of unreleased stuff that gets dumped comes FROM the original developer. Like that South Park GBC game recently.

>> No.4989120

>>4989097
>That should be up to an owner of any abandoned "product".
Something being distributed to the public and being abandoned are two separate things. They still hold the rights to it, and maybe they deem that this product is so bad, it would hurt their brand. There are tons of reasons why they might want to withhold it. The SWHS is a perfect example of this. Lucas, or now, Kennedy, can keep people from watching it if they want. Maybe they're worried it will tarnish the Star Wars name. (Not like they don't do enough of that on their own.)

>>4989109
No, but rights holders are. Again, it's not a question of morality, it's a question of legality.

We can all play the part of Robin Hood and talk about how we're preserving the past, but I think for a vast majority of people who defend piracy, they just want free shit. I honestly respect that opinion so much more than "yeah, but these companies are evil and won't release these games in a way that's fair to me."

>> No.4989129

>>4989120
Well I'm both. I care about preservation AND I like free shit.

>> No.4989132

>>4989120
>Something being distributed to the public and being abandoned are two separate things.
Retro game systems were abandoned. Why does the company that makes a video entertainment system reserve the right to software it didn't make for a piece of hardware that it no longer supports?

>> No.4989134

>>4989129
But what about the other aspects of games? To me, the physical media matters just as much as the rom itself. The cartridges, the boxes, the manuals; unlike films, games do offer a physical experience as well. I don't want to see that stuff lost to time, either.

>> No.4989137

>>4989109
nintendo is acting like the riaa back in the napster days. big label musicians didn't make that much money from record sales, and i don't think the actual artists involved in developing the games get the biggest share of the profits either. this whole legal debacle is not about "creators getting paid their due" but about executives looking for a tighter monopoly on their decades-old ips. piracy means less people buying nintendo's deluxe emulation boxes.

>> No.4989145

>>4989134
I agree that playing a real version of a game on real hardware is a completely different experience to emulation. Unfortunately for a lot of systems that's no longer an option. If it ever was at all. What about systems that never came out in the West or ones that were broken by design like the Jaguar CD.

There are also plenty of sites that upload video game manuals, BTW. Though of Course Nintendo being its usual contemptuous self has tried to take them down.

>> No.4989148

>>4989145
Byuu also has a project where he scans and uploads video game boxes. Often with hilarious results since some of them look like a dog chewed them up.

>> No.4989150

>>4989132
The systems were, but the IPs were not. They retain the rights they were granted when they originally wrote up those contracts. Sometimes, games get re-released outside their original systems. Capcom did this a few years back with their Disney games, and they just removed all references to Nintendo in the software.

>>4989137
I mean, yeah. Copyright law is a mess, I'm not arguing that. The only claim I made was that people don't necessarily deserve a game just because they want to play it. Maybe it's time we rethink copyright laws in general?

>>4989145
You can always import systems and games that never came to the West. It's harder, sure, but it's still an option.

>broken by design like the Jaguar CD.
That's a feature. =']

As for the manuals being archived, it's still not quite the same thing. Physical boxes and manuals will be like the first printing of a book; they can be replicated, sure, but it's never the exact same thing.

>>4989148
Is the Cover Project still around, or did that get C&D'd?

>> No.4989164

>>4989150
Still around. As for playing physical versions of games and consoles, I have a feeling 3D printing is going to do some wonderful things.

http://www.thecoverproject.net/

>> No.4989168
File: 85 KB, 500x303, if-programmers-deserve-to-be-rewarded-for-creating-innovative-programs-4645087.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why do these dummies not realize that corporate IP holders are the ones who think they're entitled to coercive state violence (paid for communally by taxpayers) to protect them from free (as in freedom) competition?

>> No.4989169

>>4989164
We've already been seeing people flashing new roms and printing new games. Some companies have even been re-releasing games for old systems, like the Mega Man X 25th thing that had everyone assmad recently.

>> No.4989172
File: 657 KB, 673x652, literally you.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4989168

>> No.4989175
File: 61 KB, 700x394, Baphomet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4989172
>a week after Alex Jones gets deplatformed, a statue of Baphomet goes up

>> No.4989178

>>4989168
>>4989172
>>4989175
video games

>> No.4989179

>>4989150
>The systems were, but the IPs were not. They retain the rights they were granted when they originally wrote up those contracts
This is where my issue is, and has been. It is not just video games. It involves film and even books. The digital age has changed the entire landscape of marketing and sales. Laws are 30 years too late, but that is common for technology. Rights should expire if not used, and it should be limited to the initial release format. Re-mastering or repacking a piece of software that only works on the newest and best system should only protect your right to that specific software. Older abandoned stuff should be open domain.

>>4989150
>Capcom did this a few years back with their Disney games
And they should have every right to protect their product for the PC/PS4/Xbox. I didn't see where it was also re-released for the NES? I have been looking to buy a copy of Rescue Rangers for my collection....Oh, they made a financial decision to no longer support that format?

I know I am being a bit contrary, and I have similar concerns as others. I don't view it as preservation. I couldn't give a fuck less about preservation. They could blend all un-dumped games into a powder and dump them onto the next comic-con just to watch the tears. It is about the concept of ownership vs free domain, and as just about everyone (but big business) agrees that there is room for review of the convoluted legal system.

>> No.4989180

>>4988972
>Even 360s red ringed and ps3phats overheated
You act as if the ps3 and 360 were some of the most quality engineered piece of consumer electronics. Older consoles are way more durable as there was less complexity within their making such as they will last way longer and using them again and again is almost riskless until circuit board/IC rot begins to happen.

>> No.4989182

>>4989180
How early are we talking? Early CD based systems are dying left and right due to shitty capacitors and cheap Chinese power units.

>> No.4989187

>>4989182
Cartridge systems IMO. Anything without moving parts. Even then the cd consoles will still turn on(aka you could dick around in the ps1 bios). Also stuff like capacitors(and sometimes cd drive units) are replaceable.

>> No.4989191

>>4989179
I think we are starting to see some common ground. I would also like to see the copyright laws reworked, because as they are now, they fuck over a lot of people.

>>4989180
This. But, with newer, disc based consoles, you can always rip the roms off of the disc and emulate them. (Once emulation becomes available for those systems, which is already happening.)

>>4989182
Also this. But, again, pop the disc into your PC and emulate the dang thing. There is a reason you are seeing a growing market for retro console repair, though.

>> No.4989193

>>4988953
Brodie man! noochie noochies!

And check this shit out it's the mad fat emulation killer.

>> No.4989195

>>4989191
With some disc consoles people have made loaders(sd card for the dreamcast, sd card loader that goes in the ps1 paralell port).

>> No.4989203

>>4989193
He tried to fuck me somewhere very uncomfortable, once.
>>4989195
Also this. Dump the roms from your discs onto an HDD, put them on an SD, play on the system. Games preserved forever, everyone wins.

>> No.4989204

>>4985969
This guy sucks, why do people watch his shit?

>> No.4989210

>>4989204
I'll use this criticism, thank you.

>> No.4989212

>>4989172
Think about it brainlet, if the threat of goons in expensive black body armor coming to arrest you weren't hanging over the head of "pirates" who want to share and distribute files and software freely so that corporate paychecks are protected, how exactly would they be stopped? Who is the one that needs special privileges (backed by monetary resources and manpower) to continue to operate here?

>>4989178
I was directly addressing the brainlet in OP's video's suggestion that pirates and people who benefit from the files they share (in this case roms of video games) are "entitled." Take your "video games"-posting elsewhere. Sorry politics are relevant to the legal status of retro games manchild.

>> No.4989217

>>4989210
Please stop pretending to be me please and thank you.

>> No.4989219
File: 209 KB, 650x273, IMG_0940.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm sorry but when a system puts me in physical danger, I'll emulate it instead.

>> No.4989223

>>4989217
I don't write like this. Do I really need to claim a tripcode?
>>4989219
Please stop equating emulation and piracy. Why are these two things so hard for you guys to separate?

>> No.4989224

>>4989223
You can claim a tripcode but it would not be me. Only me would be me and I am me aka 8 bit brody

>> No.4989225

>>4989191
>I think we are starting to see some common ground
Yes, anyone can agree that the concept of ownership should be researched. However, is downloading a game "theft" is where we seem to disagree. I see abandonment as an invitation. Using future re-releases or remasters as a way to enforce legal ownership of a 2+ decade old piece of antiquated software is preposterous. If they wanted to protect their "rights" they should have exercised them and continued to churn out product. If they would have continued production, there would be no excuse for internet roms. Let the judge shut it all down. But they use legal rights as leverage to keep their fans from enjoying the hardware they refuse to support. Its too late now to fix it either. The damage is done. They will continue to lose as well if that is the hill they want to die on. The older technology gets, the easier it is to replicate. Take away the need for replication, and you kill 2 birds with one stone. You keep your rights, and you make your money and no one can undercut you.

>> No.4989230

>>4989224
I Tweeted mine. =']

>>4989225
I've heard some people argue that piracy of old games can prevent people from bothering to buy new ones. I.E. "Why should I buy the new Bloodstained game when I can just pirate Castlevania 3." What's your take on that?

>> No.4989234

>>4989230
Sounds like new games need to be better.

>> No.4989235

>>4989234
How would someone who hasn't played it know Bloodstained is bad?

>> No.4989236

>>4989230
If some retard wants to play castlevania 3 he will want to play castlevania 3 not some gay unrelated game.

>> No.4989238

>>4989236
>not some gay unrelated game
Oh boy.

>> No.4989239

>>4989235
How should I know? Don't corporations have marketing departments for that?

>> No.4989242

>>4989238
Koji Igarashi started off on Symphony of the night which I consider very different from castlevania 1-3.

>> No.4989243

>>4989239
The game wasn't made by a huge corporation. I know you guys like to act obtuse because you don't have real arguments, but you can do better.

>>4989242
Curse of the Moon is very heavily inspired by 3, and it's the only one out so far.

>> No.4989248

>>4989230
Not who you're asking, but people say a lot of things. People who claim they don't buy new games because they can just pirate old ones are either being dishonest with their reasoning for not paying up (as in they're simply poor or trying to sound hip), are trying to make some sort of argument that new games suck, or are generally in the same tier or people who simply don't buy games in the first place, and if piracy were eliminated would just bum games off friends or play whatever legal freeware they could get their hands on.

>> No.4989251

>>4989243
Sorry I got it confused with another game. This video completely dispels the idea that piracy hurts sales.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qkyt1wXNlI

>> No.4989254

>>4989248
I think this is a fair point.

>>4989251
I think books and games are hard to compare, but I get the sentiment. I don't know how much it would actually impact sales, but it's something I've heard enough people mention that I figured I'd ask.

>> No.4989256

>>4989243
>>4989230
bBoodstained was voluntarily crowd-funded precisely because people wanted a new SOTN-like game from IGA and it didn't even take corrupt copyright law and threats of state violence to get their money. You've argued against your position.

>> No.4989261

>>4989243
Ok? I still think you should given more thought as to which games to compare and castlevania and whatever that gay games name was are 2 different companies. It be better if you said "Bloodstained" vs "say castlevania circle of moon", assuming they play similarly.

>> No.4989267

>>4989261
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon plays almost identically to 3, and both made by people behind Castlevania.

>> No.4989268

>>4986016
>Original copies and hardware will dwindle over time just from being passed around enough until they eventually reach someone who is too careless to handle them properly
Stuff from the 80s is simple and usually pretty easy to repair, stuff from the 90s onward isn't.

>> No.4989273

>>4989267
>Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon
Then you should have said that. That is more relatable to castlevania 3.

>> No.4989275

>>4989273
It's the only one out right now, my guy.

>> No.4989278

>>4989230
If they make a new product worth buying, I would buy it. Shoehorning a concept or character (IP) into a story just to sell a game is somewhat dishonest from a corporate perspective. However, if they make a quality product, they should have no trouble continuing a series into the future. Metal gear is a great example. Call of duty is not. Call of duty is a money grab. Same as Battlefield. They are as wore out as a Tijuana donkey show "performer".

And perhaps developers should look at what types of games people want versus what type of game they want to make that is cutting edge direct x 18 with diffused diffusion techniques and real goddamned smoke that comes out of the system when there is a fire on screen.

I liked Strider's re-release. It did a lot good, and was a good addition to the series. The New mario series on the wii & wii-u sold well, and were a great mix of old and new...I hated the waggle thing, but respected the concept. It was good. Old school gamers have a way of sniffing out garbage. Every one of my atarii games was destined for a landfill in 85, so I know what happens to shit games. Digital media takes up no landfill space, so we get lots of half-assed and irredeemable shovelware....because why not? Someone spent time on it, but it does not mean it has value to the target audience. Especially not when it is a hot mess full of bugs and glitches.

Donkey Konga for the game cube is amazing...The re-release on the wii is total shit, and is not even the same game.....Money grab.

>> No.4989281

>>4989275
But when you mentioned the upcoming one it made little sense to compare to to just playing castlevania 3 as the knew bloodstained is supposedly a spiritual successor to symphony of the night. That being said curse of moon looks neat I hope its on vita.

>> No.4989284

1/2

someone should seriously research this issue and do a proper write up on the subject. i've been trying to do it but i'm just one guy. some libertarian authors have done a good job on this but i don't think anyone quite gets the full scope of the issue.

there are so many angles to consider.

the historically attested fact that the absence of ip laws fosters culture and creativity rather than stifle them.

the fact that the dissemination of valuable, easily reproducible media is an irrepressible, organic social phenomenon, and that it is the curtailing of this dissemination on the part of would-be monopolists that is unnatural.

the fact that the current "death of author + 70 years" duration of copyright protection means that a vast number of old works are being withheld from us so that instead of buying quality old books or movies for cheap we may buy all the shitty new books and movies with which the current monopolies flood the market.

the fact that most countries worldwide did not have stringent ip laws until the united states threatened them with economic sanctions unless they reformed their ip legislation. the united states are basically forcing the whole world to conform to the strictures of their own ip laws.

>> No.4989291

2/2

don't believe me on that last point? then check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_301_Report

"The Special 301 Report is prepared annually by the Office of the United States Trade Representative (USTR) that identifies trade barriers to United States companies and products due to the intellectual property laws, such as copyright, patents and trademarks, in other countries. By April 30 of each year, the USTR must identify countries which do not provide "adequate and effective" protection of intellectual property rights or "fair and equitable market access to United States persons that rely upon intellectual property rights".[1]

The Special 301 Report is published pursuant to Section 301 of the Trade Act of 1974 (Pub.L. 93–618, 19 U.S.C. § 2242) as amended by Section 1303 of the Omnibus Trade and Competitiveness Act of 1988.[2] The Special 301 Report was first published in 1989.[3]

By statute, the annual Special 301 Report includes a list of "Priority Foreign Countries", that are judged to have inadequate intellectual property laws; these countries may be subject to sanctions. In addition, the report contains a "Priority Watch List" and a "Watch List", containing countries whose intellectual property regimes are deemed of concern."

"Peter Drahos, a law professor at the Centre for Commercial Law Studies at Queen Mary University of London's School of Law, has called the Special 301 Report "a public law devoted to the service of private corporate interests".[26] It explicitly protects and acts in favor of U.S. intellectual property owners, most often large corporations, against any foreign national policy or unofficial action that does not conform, even in its domestic legislation, to the United States' position on international copyright and IP. Threat of action under Special 301 has been used to insert U.S. trade lobby backed advisers into states' domestic legislative process in order to ensure compliance with U.S. trade norms."

>> No.4989292

>>4989284
>the fact that the current "death of author + 70 years" duration of copyright protection means that a vast number of old works are being withheld from us so that instead of buying quality old books or movies for cheap we may buy all the shitty new books and movies with which the current monopolies flood the market.

>the fact that most countries worldwide did not have stringent ip laws until the united states threatened them with economic sanctions unless they reformed their ip legislation. the united states are basically forcing the whole world to conform to the strictures of their own ip laws.
These two factors make copyright law so nakedly corrupt at even the slightest glance I don't see how anyone can support it.

And when Micky Mouse's number comes up, it WILL be extended AGAIN and everyone knows it. Might as well just add "for all eternity" to it next time so save themselves the song and dance.

>> No.4989306

Literally who?

>> No.4989316

>>4989284
>>4989291
>fucks economically with foreign countries just because they don't provide laws that enable US to jew the shit out of their citizens with imaginary artificially scarce products

Is it any wonder everybody in the world hates america? You people deserve all the terrorism you get.

>> No.4989323

>>4989316
>when your country is so impoverished and generally fucked that it has to rely on the USA to survive so it happily complies with whatever the USA demands

>> No.4989325

>>4989323
Nah, trade sanctions have been the norm here for a long time. Nobody cares. MPAA faggots get laughed at even by jewish media when they come here lobby their shit.

>> No.4989332

>>4989292
>And when Micky Mouse's number comes up, it WILL be extended AGAIN and everyone knows it.
Not this time. The last time they tried that was in the 90s before the Internet was really a thing and there was no social media. Today we have the power to expose them.

>> No.4989337

>>4988230
>having money doesn't mean you can buy things with it
oh my goodness gumdrops

>> No.4989339

>>4986910
>straight up tells people who bring up disc rot to fuck off
>resorts to almost nothing but strawmen throughout the entire video
I seriously don't know what the hell he expected.

>> No.4989349
File: 19 KB, 256x224, screen01.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.4989356

>>4985969
>I'm removing any blatantly disrespectful comments. I'd like to discuss this issue with you guys, and there's no need for anyone to be hateful about it.

Uuuuuuuuuuuuuh dig himself in the grave.

>> No.4989360

>>4989323

no. what it means is this: farmers in the third world pay royalties to monsanto for the seeds they use. third world countries are forbidden from manufacturing "generic" (i.e. unauthorized) medications the patents of which are held by american pharmaceutical companies. the endless governmental offices of third world countries are constrained to use official copies of windows in their every computer. this the 301 report calls "providing fair and equitable market access to United States persons". "forceful penetration" would be a more honest way of putting it.

there's a larger scenario at play. for instance, modern medicine all over the world is a hugely cartelized profession. physicians will more often than not push demonstrably harmful patented meds (most of them american) on their patients, even when prescribing aspirin and sunlight would be the obvious course of action. it doesn't take a lot of digging to find out how corrupt the medical profession is and how inept most of its practitioners are.

doctors will literally prescribe demonstrably fatal medications because patented meds are more profitable than "public domain" substances such as aspirin and vitamins. i won't go into this at lenght but trust me, it's as bad as it sounds. ray peat has written a lot about this stuff: raypeat.com

essentially, the existence of ip laws *drives* such iniquitous practices. the artifical scarcity of snes minis is only the frivolous tip of the iceberg.

>> No.4989378

>>4989254

Gaiman's general point is that piracy is a form of promotion, The comparison doesn't really work for modern games that already have promotion aplenty but it absolutely does for retro games. In much the same way people were discovering and enjoying Neil's old books, people used the internet to discover and enjoy games that were long depreciated, these sites essentially acting as a virtual library. As someone who didn't get into gaming until 5th Gen, you can bet your ass as soon as I got a computer I downloaded hordes of 3rd and 4th gen console roms and discovered many of my favourite games which I now own, not because of feeling a legal obligation to but because they're now meaningful to me.

>> No.4989397

>>4989378
It does work like that in some instances. I remember being exposed to Splatterhouse and Demon's World via MAME back in the early 2000s, and now own original arcade PCBs of both those games. That being said, in neither case does my purchasing of them support the original developers or current rights holders. I will never buy an official ROM of arcade Splatterhouse (though I think I did actually buy that modern Solatterhouse game) or Demon's World because having the original hardware is superior, at least for my purposes.

Similarly, the chances of me buying the recent MMX Collection are slim because
1) I already own all the games in some dedicated format, as well as the older PS2 compilation
2) I would rather put that money toward obtaining other out of print releases of those games, and
3) they fucking censored X4.
At least the X Challenge mode looks neat, so I might get it for that.

>> No.4989401

>>4989360
Some countries don't care about pharma patents and chose to eat the sanctions while giving effective meds to population and solving public health issues.

I dunno how to solve medical situation. Its as if nobody knows anything anymore. Studies don't have the necessary quality, are too expensive to reproduce or give diverging results when reproduced. You have to realize that doctors have evidence-based conduct now, and lots of research is funded by pharmaceutical companies. What can be done about it?

>> No.4989413
File: 3 KB, 98x92, 1508505635203.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985969
attacking digital software piracy while defending selling used physical copies is retarded doublethink. The price of a cartridge paid to a reseller is money stolen from the rights holders. That wasn't the reseller's property to sell nor is it yours now that you've handed money over for it. The original purchaser bought the right to play that software on their console and that is the end of it. That is not property that you own. I'm seeing a video of someone tearing out their hair because their theft that harms the game industry left them more out of pocket than the other guy's theft that harms the game industry.

>rip the rom
>install a translation patch
>play it that way
>perfectly legal
>rip the rom
>perfectly legal
well shit I don't know about that dude fuck my guy I just don't know

I like your game reviews

>> No.4989418

>>4989413
Your just perpetually renting a license you don't own nothing goy

>> No.4989419
File: 7 KB, 250x201, 1526510281566.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985969
Software is not a real product.

>> No.4989487

>>4989360
Honestly medicine is just treating people by cookbook and avoiding responsibility as much as possible by claiming studies back you up.

Caring about science, deep human biology and how the body really really works is premed tier. All your idealism, your curiosity and even your ability to give a shit and empathize with fellow human beings will be utterly crushed by the medical school itself. All of that will be dead by the time you graduate. From then on it's all about results, about grades, about not fucking up or rocking the boat. It's about correctly diagnosing some disease and selecting the absolutely unquestionably correct treatment for it as prescribed by the latest articles. There is no critical thinking involved in this, you just have to know how to detect and fix each problem. Lots of people simply memorize and regurgitate through medschool like its nothing. There is no arguing with the standardized tests which will decide the future of your career, whatever is the right answer there is what you'll learn as "correct". From then on, it's all about results. It's about seeing as many patients as possible for as many hours as possible. It's about getting best possible grades in order to match into dermatology. Even in medschool they'll send you to some shithole hospital where you'll be worked as a slave for like 16 hours straight every single day of your life for negative pay. Nobody cares about doing the right thing at the end of this. Even the gunners who study 24/7 and kiss ass to get perfect grades are working within the system and giving the answers the system wants them to give.

Very few doctors break away from this hopeless situation and become true scientists. It will only get worse and worse in the future. In many ways, medicine is more like engineering than science. There's cost/benefit analysis.

>raypeat.com

Don't know who this guy is but he does know what he's talking about. He reminds me of my embryology and gynecology professors.

>> No.4989491

Every single game over 20 years old should be forced into the public domain. I don't give a shit how much creators bitch and whine, I would be 100% OK with any of the games I've created being put into the public sphere.

If companies still want to earn money off those old games then they can create remasters, remakes or offer access to said roms on their platform. Fuck this corporate apologist bullshit and people whining about pirates downloading roms of games that have never been rereleased and likely never will.

>> No.4989492

>>4989487
Many doctors and surgeons never learn a single new thing after school; they can have a career of 40 years and right up to their retirement day, they still perform the same outdated, rote surgical techniques they learned in college.

>> No.4989512

>>4989492
Surgery changes a lot slower compared to clinical medicine though. Once you learn general surgical techniques and specific procedures and algorithms, they'll be valid for a damn long time. People don't really learn surgery in medical school though; the most students do there is hold the patient's body cavity open for like 5 hours straight.

I'm honestly not sure whether this is a good thing. There is way too much information out there being published every single day, and evaluating it all is essentially a full time job unto itself. Lots of articles are crap and have absolutely garbage methodology, but many doctors don't know how to evaluate the statistical significance of a study. My background in computing helps me a lot.

>> No.4989519
File: 19 KB, 400x300, 1530163012381.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985969
I stopped watching when he said it's about money at 1 minute...

Yes money is of course one factor, but the it's just one of the many problems.
I bought every neogeo game on gog. I want my games drm free. Because it is obvious what nintendo and other companies do with their games. The systems they are on age fast, are a waste of resources, money and SPACE. My apartment is FUCKING FULL of fucking systems, that are a true big hassle to use. And I am not going to buy the newest latest system and all games AGAIN. I am a collector and the consumerism manners of console manufacturers are ill and the most ripoff they can be. They are in no way fair. I can't buy mega man X for my PC drm free for a fair price. And those companies made a lot of money with those games I am sure. And yeah, someone may say that is a bad argument, but honestly those companies treated me like shit. I was a big fan of consoles until I noticed that this doesn't work. Yeah, be happy if you are able to stay in one place your whole life. But where I life and work I can't do that.

So yeah, I hate the people that make videos like that and emulation was invented for a reason other than piracy you fucking idiot shitheads. FUcking keep your trash opinion to yourself you fucking assholes who swim in money in their palaces. Go fuck you fucking ape assholes. I work my ass of and are more intelligent than most of you but my life is shit, and you motherfuckers tell me I don't deserve anything. Please stop making videos you fucking degenerated piss shit.

>> No.4989524
File: 162 KB, 400x300, 1522557493229.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4989018
>no intro
>800gb
>when the whole thing is 34gb compressed
You got the TOSEC or REDUMP shit mixed in there or something?

>> No.4989526
File: 46 KB, 530x499, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4989524

>> No.4989528

>>4989519
Woah there champ lol

>> No.4989536

>>4989526
>DS set
>PCE CD
Ah, no wonder. I completely fucking forgot there's a No intro DS set. Well shit I gotta upgrade my External HDD pronto.

>> No.4989537

>hurr nintendo dmca'ing my roms

Why don't they host their roms in russia or something? Does nintendo even exist as a company there or officially sell its consoles there? They'd wipe their ass with nintendo's faggy legal letters.

>> No.4989540

>>4989537
russia signed various treaties with the united states and europe, on behalf of corporate interests, to crack down on piracy. they're cu-cked.

>> No.4989543

>>4989540
Yes but is it effectively happening? Lots of countries did similar things yet failed to realistically enforce their laws. Look at south america. Enacting laws to appease european powers and then failing to enforce them is literally part of their history.

>> No.4989546
File: 154 KB, 512x512, 1488947029042.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4989519

It's just some dumb clickbait video, it doesn't mean anything and you shouldn't get upset over it. Hang in there anon.

>> No.4989553

>>4989360
>http://raypeat.com/articles/articles/authoritarians.shtml
>In being introduced into a profession, any lingering tendency toward analogical-metaphoric thinking is suppressed. I have known perceptive, imaginative people who, after a year or two in medical school, had become rigid rule-followers.

Funny, that's basically everyone in medical school...

>> No.4989564

>>4989230
>companies will stop making good games if we don't keep giving them money for their old IPs!
Nice blackmail attempt there. You're either a shill or such a pathetic corporate cuck that I legitimately feel sorry for you.
Okay, let's say all these big companies stop making games. Is this supposed to incite panic? I don't really care myself, there are so many games on my backlog that I've barely touched the post-2006ish era. I'd be just fine with the games produced up to now, the occasional indie title and the freeware community.
But either way, should these companies really exist forever in the first place? Perpetually reviving old products is not usually a sign of a healthy market, you know. Maybe it's time for Nintendo and others to die off and let others take its place, instead of frantically holding on to games that they're not selling anymore but don't want people to play. Again, it's not the job of the consumer to keep a company floating, they go where they can get a better deal.

>> No.4989580
File: 5 KB, 150x84, images (4).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4989050
>Regardless of morality, why do you think you have the legal right to play that game if you don't want to pay for it?

The gamers shall own the means of playduction!

>> No.4989635
File: 340 KB, 1920x1080, 1532230632964.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

After the initial release run, games and other media effectively become our collective cultural legacy, and attempts to stifle their viewing/playing only promotes the corporate agenda that wants to erase our history and allow the experience of only those works they consider worthwhile. Imagine if modern copyright law existed in the Middle Ages, popular legends like King Arthur would never become the derivative treasure of stories that they currently are. The entire history of Arthurian legend consists of an author copying down the story from a previous generation, changing it a bit and then telling it anew as his own creation. People don't even know when these things were invented since there was so much derivative storytelling going on all the time, and that's great.
Derivative works are essential to common culture, and this goes back to the earliest fucking writings of humanity. Just look at how many fanfics are written for popular series, stuff like Harry Potter has probably several million stories scattered around the Web. And then you get some corporate fuck telling you that you can't make a derivative game based on an old one since its their intellectual property. Give me a break. Do you want to live in a world where we only get to see endless Sherlock Holmes remakes, since that's one of the later public domain properties, or will we get to see a major movie re-imaginining of Mickey Mouse one day?

>> No.4990009

>>4989339
All of the arguments were straight from Jim, or his commenters. Nothing was strawmanned to prove a point.

As for disc rot, it's not as real of an issue as everyone seems to thing it is. More people would realize that if they actually bought games.

>>4989356
It hurts channels to have people saying racial slurs in the comments. I don't think it's that absurd to delete things like that. I'm not removing people who disagree with me. It's not like I'm try to create some sort of SJW safe space for my line of thought; I just don't want flat out irrelevant banter in my comments section.

>>4989378
I can understand this point, like I said, but I do still think it's tough to draw parallels between mediums.

>>4989413
Bro, I wish retro prices would drop as much as the next person. I'm not a reseller, I just like to own things.

>That wasn't the reseller's property to sell
It absolutely was. They don't own the IP, but they certainly own the right to distribute physical property that they own.

>>4989519
>I stopped watching when he said it's about money at 1 minute...

You and everyone else. I'm glad to know you guys don't like to listen to differing opinions before commenting on them. =']

>>4989564
The whole point is that gamers, and consumers in general, need to stop acting so entitled if they want a medium they love to survive. It has nothing to do with being a shill, it's just how capitalism works.

> they go where they can get a better deal.
Yeah. "Give me free shit hurrr."

>>4989635
I never said copyright law isn't totally fucked. The video is about how Sterling is hypocritical in his views on piracy, and how nobody should be surprised by Nintendo shutting down rom-hosting sites, nor should they act as though they are entitled to those games in the first place.

>> No.4990020

Here's something for everyone talking about preservation:

Say all these companies agreed that you were right, and these games should be preserved.

What if they hosted EVERY game, ever made, on a huge server. The server has multiple backups in several locations to act as a contingency; should anything ever go awry, the roms can be instantly replaced.

The only caveat to this is, nobody is allowed to play the games from their homes. Suppose it's like a big museum. You can pay $5 to enter and play whatever you want, but only while you're inside.

Would you guys support that, or do you just want free shit on your computers?

>> No.4990021

>>4985969
As long as you DON'T make money off it and mass distribute it, you should be fine.

>> No.4990103

>>4985969

Why the 70s haircut and clothes?

>> No.4990117
File: 109 KB, 1209x798, stallman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985969

They need a better pricing scheme.

.99 for nintendo/gb roms,

1.99 for snes/gba

2.99 for n64

3.99 for GC/ ds

5.99 for wii and so on...

I own about 700 games and no longer pirate pc games because they're so cheap on steam, maybe console makers should follow suit.

>> No.4990129

>>4990117

Bottom line is they should not be charging retail or close to retail price for non-physical copies of software that is 10-15+ years old.

Charging 5 bucks for iceclimber makes it seem like they just don't want people to use their service for the retro stuff and instead opt for the new shit they churn out.

>> No.4990181
File: 1.72 MB, 2560x1920, 20140906_113942.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4990009
>it's not as real of an issue as everyone seems to thing it is
I didn't think so either until about half of of my GC games started acting up. They were stored with cds and other games. I think 5 or 6 of them would run for a bit and just "error disc read". I was an absolute nazi about finger prints and touching the edges, so I know what was happening. I made backups on my wii of what I could and got ahold of what I couldn't in the usual spaces.

It makes no sense that something can be in storage for 2-3 years and fail like that while psx, xbox and hundreds of cds keeps working. I think disc rot is real, and it depends on who made the disc and where.

>> No.4990187

>>4990020
Yeah sure, so long as it was easily accessible and not just localized in one area.

Back on topic though, my main problem with nintendo pulling their roms off of sites like emuparadise and isozone is it inevitably removes things like prototypes, or the accessibility to translations and other oddities, which as a whole hurts the video game community.

Furthermore, the truly nice thing about emulation and piracy as a whole is you can try before you buy. I mean I am personally not trying to go for a fullset of games for each console, I would rather just pick up games I enjoy. Emulation gives me a means to both try out the console and games before commiting. Without piracy I would have never bought my wonderswan, there really is no better demo solution out there.

>> No.4990190
File: 77 KB, 1280x720, yghi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

just gonna pirate this

>> No.4990205

>>4990117
I prefer to use free software to download everything free of charge desu

>> No.4990206
File: 1.34 MB, 2560x1920, 20140225_164038.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4990020
>The only caveat to this is, nobody is allowed to play the games from their homes
How do you enforce it? It is impossible. Without gestapo style door to door searches it is impossible. Your thought experiment is totally flawed.

However I think that IF they have a right to, they certainly should save these games for historical sake. However, who has the right to do that is the question. Legal rights of "IP" are convoluted when companies merge change and split.

IP laws need changed. It has nothing to do with our loving corporate masters losing out on the potential sale of 200 worldwide copies of NBA Hangtime. It is media in general. I imagine it is just as simple to pirate a book.

Hell, even reading a page out of a game manual could be theft right? You didn't buy it. So if someone uses that manual to create their own walk-through, have they committed a crime?

>> No.4990232
File: 16 KB, 489x384, 1282136310960.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4985995

yeah man i got there and immediately closed the tab. has he never seen a replica before? i refuse to believe he's actually this retarded. unreal.

>> No.4990287

>>4985969
Couldn't make it past him questioning why a rom site would need ad revenue. From a fucking youtuber who makes ad revenue.

>> No.4990297

The hilarious thing about this is that I had no intentions of ever pirating entire Nintendo romsets, but after finding out about emuparadise I immediately did just that just to be sure I'd never miss out. So now consequently I have no incentive whatsoever to ever pay Nintendo for shit and took the NES and SNES classic consoles off my wishlists.

>> No.4990312
File: 22 KB, 269x300, 1351926977303.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4990117
This %100. Paying near retail for a digital copy you don't technically own that you will inevitably have to buy again in a few years on a new platform is stupid and greedy. Its the same damn exact rom and the licences should transfer over.

I always pick up older games on steam as long as they aren't horribly broken just to "have it on steam".

Nintindy is only charging this much because they know there is technically no competition for their first party games. They have the right to charge what they want but hey, they could make way MORE money with the same amount of effort and some policy changes.

>> No.4990315

>>4986484
>In reality, anything over 20 years old should be public domain
Don't say such horrible things, you might attract the ire of The Mouse.

>> No.4990316

>>4990009
What's it like being a cuck?

>> No.4990320

>>4990315
Disney is trying like fuck to extend the current copyright laws to last indefinitely.

>> No.4990348

>>4986484
>In reality, anything over 20 years old should be public domain.

I agree as far as software, or anything made by a corporation. But works credited to one individual author (musicians, artists, writers etc) should last 50 years.

>> No.4990361

>>4990205
i thought that free software wasn't about "no monetary charges" and shit

>> No.4990367

>>4985969
>MUH IP
what a fucking cuck

>> No.4990371

>>4990297
It is really funny that someone from this demographic could have absolutely no idea piracy was a thing until 'discovering' emuparadise. You're going to be tickled pink once you find out music and movies can be downloaded too. Or even the concept of theft in real life, that way you can get pretty much anything for free.

>> No.4990392

>>4990371
You wouldn't download a car.

>> No.4990412

>>4986791
>Brody
Sounds like one them names that shoots up schools.

>> No.4990423

I think you're being too idealistic, to put it mildly.

The current situations is pretty ideal, to be honest. In most countries people are perfectly able to download illegal roms to their hearts' content without the risk of being penalized for it. Even with the current takedowns of rom websites it's still not too hard to find roms for most systems. The only "problem" here, then, is that piracy is technically illegal, which seems to bother a few gamers' sensitive souls.

Basically, you need to adopt a more anarchistic ethos. The government and the large corporations don't care about you and will never care about you. It is safer, more convenient, more rational, more elegant to keep your roms in an external hard drive than it is to continually buy the games on each new iteration of Virtual Console. You need to get comfortable with the idea of living off the grid.

>> No.4990434

>>4990423
whoops. this post was meant as a reply to >>4990020

>> No.4990451

>>4985969
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA8xrgLqQZ8
Pirate away boys

>> No.4990465

>>4990371
I was referencing emuparadise being targeted for Nintendo takedowns, idiot.

>> No.4990487

For the people who are upset about piracy, how do you feel about sites which document and host unreleased and pre-final ROMs of games and the like?

>> No.4990530

>>4985969

Brody, I like you, and have enjoyed your videos in the past. My thoughts:

Any game that could be considered abandonware or has never been re-released should have access to being emulated. If the company no longer exists, then emulation is the only way to play them. You can buy from a second-hand reseller, but the company will never see the benefits from that sale - only the reseller. There is no way I am spending hundreds of dollars to play popful mail, magical knight rayearth, or panzer dragoon saga. Hell, if a company has exited the gaming market like Konami, emulation is the only way to play snatcher, or any of their future titles once digital titles are removed from their respective online digital stores. Games like panzer dragoon saga or skies of arcardia have never been re-released, so the only way to play them without spending a fortune is through emulation.

Emulation preserves video games long after me and you are gone, and leads to current and future generations in discovering new games. If they get a following, then people can buy them then if the company exists. Earthbound would NEVER have gained a following without emulation. The game did not do well on release, and most people discovered the game through the original smash bros. Until the Wii U, the game was never available legally. This comes from someone that bought the original SNES game on release, and the Wii U version as well. But now that the Wii U has been cast aside for the switch, it will be locked forever on that console unless nintendo releases a VC for ALL of their past game releases. If people cannot play their old games, then future buzz on any titles will diminish over time. You will not see the immediate impact, but it will happen.

>> No.4990592

>>4986615
>if you can't afford it then you don't deserve to play it
Anyone can afford free tho

>> No.4990598

As for the emulation vs piracy argument, didn't Nintendo try to claim that dumping ROMs from cartridges you own was in and of itself illegal?

>> No.4990691

>>4990181
With Gamecube discs, it tends to be topside damage. If you still have those old discs, hold them up to a light and see if any shines through.

Also, as they lasers wear out, they start to be able to handle that sort of thing less and less.

>>4990206
I'm saying, in this hypothetical, that it wouldn't be a streaming type service. They wouldn't allow public access to their servers.

>>4990232
I've encountered plenty of replicas in my day. What does that have to do with my argument whatsoever?

>>4990287
I didn't question why they needed it, guy, I questioned why they were surprised that a site shut down when it was making revenue while hosting other people's IPs. I'm glad you did your best to pay attention as far as you could, though.

>>4990312
How is $5 near retail, though?

>>4990316
Shit, did you find my Fetlife account?

>>4990530
Skies of Arcadia was re-released on the Gamecube. ;)

Joking aside, I get your point. I think my big issue with all of this is that most gamers aren't pushing for changes to copyright law, they're just demanding they get free shit, and acting like they have a right to it. At no point in my video do I say it's immoral to pirate. I don't think these companies will honestly be hurt all that much by piracy; my entire premise was that people like Sterling shouldn't act like the world at large owes them anything just because they feel entitled to it.

>>4990598
I'm sure they did, but that argument has been shot down in the courts on numerous occasions.

>> No.4990695

>>4990487
You're hurting innocent devs you fucking thief. Some unrelated company might want to charge full price for those games 30 years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RDRQcBmEzE

>> No.4990726

>>4990181
>I think disc rot is real,
There is no thinking required. It is real. You can slow down the effects of it through proper care but it's going to happen at some point no matter what. Especially if the disc came from a cheap manufacturer.

>> No.4990735
File: 44 KB, 1200x636, FM-Towns-Marty-Console-Set.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Which company do I need to "work with" and "understand" to get FM Towns Marty games re released?

>> No.4990770

>>4989230
>"Why should I buy the new Bloodstained game when I can just pirate Castlevania 3."
The answer is that Bloodstained is a new game with brand new levels and bosses. I've never purchased CV3, only pirated it, and I enjoyed it enough that I did buy the new Bloodstained.

>> No.4990789

>>4990691
Jim isnt saying he is entitled to anything, he's saying that every other industry learned how to deal with piracy and the gaming industry is behind as always.

The "entitlement" meme just feels like an easy way to throw away an argument

>>4989230
the existence of old games to pirate doesnt even stop people from buying those old games much less new games.

>> No.4990794

>>4990789
But other industries haven't done a good job about it. That was also something I discussed in the video.

>> No.4990801

>>4990794
Name one film I can't easily and cheaply watch.

>> No.4990804

>>4990695
I remember Piko Interactive trying to backdoor someone on a prototype cartridge sale because he wanted to distribute the game or something. Maybe he already had the rights to it? Either way, talk about being a piece of shit.

>> No.4990806

>>4990801
Greed, in its entirety.
Sanshiro Sugata, in its entirety.
Batman Fights Dracula.

>> No.4990814

>>4990806
I mean films that still exist. Obviously if it was destroyed in a warehouse fire in 1910 I can't see it.

>> No.4990816

most or all of kubrick, lynch, polanski, bergman, fellini, godard, truffaut, etc., is not on netflix, regardless of the country you find yourself in. when it comes to auteur directors, in all instances you find at most one or two of their movies. usually none.

i don't know about alternative legal services. maybe all their movies are on amazon prime? if so, well, wonderful - there's your choice of monolithic media monopoly. give your money to amazon, and maybe david lynch or wes anderson will get a cent or two from your charitable act. and jeff bezos will get a little bit richer.

but honestly i don't know, amazon prime is probably shit too. i have given up on legal media a long time ago. i can get obscure and forgotten movies on piratebay for free thanks to the generosity of seeders. that's the perfect media distribution system right there.

>> No.4990817

>>4985969
Nerds on the internet who get cheap thrills from throwing disposable income at the pop culture manufacturing industry care so much more about winning good boy points by railing against piracy in chatrooms, forums, and discussion pages than any IP holder. If you're the laziest of fucking pirates and your ISP has no balls you might get a form letter from an all but automated system.

Why? Why are the good boy points worth so much to you? And to pirates, why do you attempt to paint yourself as some robin hood for pirating games?

I have a history of flaunting the law, the rules, and the good boys who enforce it. If you leave something sitting around me I'll take it, and I pirate movies and videogames because I'd rather keep my money. I live life for myself, my family, and my friends, and do not care about any system of rules for its own damn sake.

If it was against the rules to piss standing up people would foam at the mouth at anyone who decided it was a fucking stupid rules, just because half of the human race is absolutely devoid of any personality and has to borrow an identity from outside. Fuck all of yall.

>> No.4990843

>>4990817
>I have a history of flaunting the law, the rules, and the good boys who enforce it. If you leave something sitting around me I'll take it, and I pirate movies and videogames because I'd rather keep my money. I live life for myself, my family, and my friends, and do not care about any system of rules for its own damn sake.
Holy shit, my man. This is some grade A pasta in the making.

>> No.4990856

>>4990817
>Why? Why are the good boy points worth so much to you?

well, to get into a bit of esoteric anthropology here, nerds are "neanderthals" - creative, withdrawn, systematic thinkers. "lawfulness" and "obedience" are also common traits. i think pathological obsession with rules is very common among germans, for instance. i read somewhere that scrupulous legalism used to be more of a lutheran than a catholic thing.

a bunch of people here seem to be religious. there's this whole debate in christianity about how even the petty laws of the state have to be obeyed, because the bible tells us so in the book of romans. it's not uncommon to see christians on the internet asking if jaywalking is a sin. basically, legalistic readings of scripture foster neurosis.

>I have a history of flaunting the law, the rules, and the good boys who enforce it.

good. flaunting stupid rules is a common manly trait. i studied at a high school run by the state police. we were forbidden from removing our caps (we wore sort of a jr. version of the police uniform) outside school grounds. and yet every guy did it. fuck the rules. that's a healthy instinct.

>If you leave something sitting around me I'll take it,

well, that's just theft. unless you're talking about something trivial like a candy bar.

> I live life for myself, my family, and my friends,

that's a great point. when i think about this matter i often think of it in terms of family vs. state. if i had a kid in the 80s and he asked me if it's ok to make a cassette tape copy of a record he borrowed from a friend, even though it's illegal, i would say "of course. fuck the law". likewise if i had a kid today, in the age of broadband internet and emulation.

chesterton talked a lot about this opposition between the traditional family and the meddlesome modern state. he was against both capitalism and communism. modern coporate-driven ip laws represent the worst of both -isms.

>> No.4990986
File: 45 KB, 819x606, Capture.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Here's me "working" with corporations to play old games.

>> No.4991109
File: 85 KB, 960x720, 1534672782275.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4986807

>> No.4991201
File: 102 KB, 660x1146, 1528600197188.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Yo,Brody. What's your opinion on people who hoard undumped games and refuse to release them? Byuu, Frank Cifaldi, those MAME scumbags, etc...

>> No.4991404

I think the biggest flaw in your argument is your reliance on your final point: entitlement. Why is the consumer entitled when they want to enjoy a game that is out of print and only obtainable by finding a physical copy, of which it can be either very expensive to procure (especially when shipping comes in) or impossible to find due to rarity or destruction? Why is the company that holds on to these IPs simply to make money not entitled?

Games are an art form, and like any other art form the art of the past informs the art of the future. The harder it is to play these older games, the harder it is for future game developers to be informed and the worse our future games will become. I feel this has already started happening since a lot of modern games seem to learn nothing from games of the past.

>> No.4991420

>>4991404
jesus christ this thing is still fucking going, who cares? Because he is allegedly here? I think there's a lot to be said for mods just removing all threads related to youtubers.

>> No.4991428

>>4991201
I posted a question about this earlier in the thread. Prototypes of released games will almost assuredly never be monetized by the original company since they aren't retail-ready products (i think one rare instance was a Gunstar Heroes shop demo prototype included on some PS2 compilation) and do, in fact, face extremely high chance of being lost since the original copyright holders likely don't even have copies of these builds themselves and in some cases were apparently even obtained because the company was disposing of them. In fact, many such builds were actually demonstrated freely at conventions, stores, or given to magazines for promotional purposes - the whole goal was to promote the corresponding retail game or otherwise develop it. Dumping them is technically piracy, but given their nature are not likely to infringe on the selling potential of the retail games and could arguably be treated as promotional items, such as certain Capcom builds containing a Coming Soon message when enough of the game was completed to prevent people trying it out from experiencing too much of the game or accessing unfinished areas.

>> No.4991570

>>4989203
Like in the back of a Volkswagen?

>> No.4991760
File: 10 KB, 317x238, 1232218016415.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I stopped giving a shit about Jim fucking Sterling son, when he blamed guns (inanimate objects) for mass shootings, while claiming vidja gaems (also inanimate objects) where blameless without any hint of irony or self awareness.

This just in: Spoons made Jim Sterling fat but loli porn is still not to blame for pedophiles.

>> No.4991763

>>4991760
Wouldn't wanna "defend" him, but how are those two things even comparable in their respective contexts? The guns are literally, directly used for said shootings whereas the games are claimed to have an indirect effect on the shooter's psyche.

I'm not commenting on the validity of either claim, mind you. I'm just saying it's perfectly plausible to have different positions on them. They're not comparable to a degree where this would be inconsistent.

>> No.4991780
File: 162 KB, 600x361, 232.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4991763
I disagree.

Arguments blaming inanimate objects for the violence, games or guns, ignores the responsibility of the perpetrator for the ultimate crime. It's like that bullshit "The Devil made me do it."
No. Fucking no! The shooter committed the crime and is solely responsible for it.

We all know the difference between right and wrong. We all have the ability to choose. The inanimate objects have no ability to make a choice.

Call of Duty didn't tell you to go shoot up a school any more than the fucking Glock did.

Porn doesn't cause rapist.
Swastikas don't manufacture Nazis.
Knives don't make people stab each other.
Cars and booze aren't liable for DUIs.

>> No.4991795

>>4991780
>Arguments blaming inanimate objects for the violence, games or guns, ignores the responsibility of the perpetrator for the ultimate crime
Yeah, but who holds this view? Was Sterling honestly saying that guns are to blame and *no responsibility* lies with the perpetrator?

In any case, I think you glossed over my point. Let's just say that someone does indeed honestly believe there to lie *zero* responsibility with the actual perpetrator and that it's all down to the inanimate objects. Even within this position, you can still plausibly and consistently hold different opinions regarding the responsibility of different (types of) inanimate objects. Someone who says it's all down to guns wouldn't necessarily have to say that it's also down to video games if, for example, they find the evidence for the former wholly convincing, but not for the latter.

I honestly don't understand why you think someone who says "Object Type A is responsible for X" would be logically bound to say the same about "Object Type B/C/D/etc.". I mean, I think tectonic plates are responsible for earthquakes. That doesn't mean I'm now logically obligated to say that teddy bears and pencil sharpeners are responsible for them as well (I know that this is not an apt analogy to the mass shooting issue because there is no human agency in this; I'm just using it to illustrate my position).

That's not to say that I don't understand your frustration with this line of reasoning. I'm not a fan of arguments that ignore personal autonomy either. My point is really just that it's plausible to blame Thing X, but not Thing Y.

>> No.4991835

>>4991795
Perhaps we are misunderstanding each other.

I stated,
>>Call of Duty didn't tell you to go shoot up a school any more than the fucking Glock did.

It's not a sliding scale of culpability. If the gun is responsible for the crime then the video game is also liable. I vehemently reject this.

We base law on the premise that we have free will and are responsible for our actions. Without it, murder, rape, theft cannot be immoral. We make choices and are responsible for them or we are slaves to our circumstances and blameless.

Jim Sterling is entitled to his opinion. But he's still a hypocrite for his double standard. And I don't have to value his illogical viewpoint.

>> No.4992469

>>4989268
but we are thinking about a long period of time, 100, 300 years. if videogames try to be art it need to be preserved to the future. And videogames as an art form is about interaction, so photo or video is not a correct way to preserve them.

>> No.4992581

This is clever, spam your e-celebs on /vr/ and the garbage threads stay on for weeks.

>> No.4992606

>>4992581
I have no idea why this thread hasn't been deleted yet. Jesus christ.

>> No.4992934

>>4990986
>no uploads
You dick

>> No.4992940

>>4992606
what's so bad about discussing the ethicality of piracy? are you too cool for earnest discussion?

>> No.4992957

>>4985969
Brody shilling cause his channel is dead.

>> No.4993002

>>4992940
yes
also youtuber bullshit doesn't belong here. If the recent happenings with rom sites, or related topics, are to be discussed there were already multiple threads on the matter
this is a goddamn disgrace

>> No.4993060

>>4990691
Brody man just cut your losses. You made a shit video that people didn't like. You used Jim Sterling for views. You shilled it on /vr/

I don't know what you expected to happen.

>> No.4993064

>>4990691
>How is $5 near retail, though?

An equivalent or superior game to ice climber can be gotten off an app store for free. 99 cents is generous.

>> No.4993075

>>4985969
Channels stagnating, so you're resorting to click bait now?

>more "le trading double dribble"
>trying to collab with another literal who, but this ones at least a girl
>more lame con interviews

Must be hard being creatively bankrupt.

>> No.4993442

>>4993060
OP here again, I'm not Brody. I just thought this could jump start some conversation (and it legitimately did).

>> No.4993443

>>4993002
Yeah, let's have a Catalog full of the same bullshit threads instead of one with legit discussion. Got it. So much better.

>> No.4994519
File: 37 KB, 480x542, 1533793480773.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I thought that fat fuck died from cancer

>> No.4994528

>>4994519
don't talk like that about jim

>> No.4994624

>>4993075
>at least a girl
As if that's somehow inherently better than doing it with another male YouTuber.

>> No.4994626 [DELETED] 

>>4994519
No, that was Limp Biscuit.

>> No.4994628

>>4994519
No, that was Total Pissclit.

>> No.4994629

Nobody cares about your shitty channel. sage

>> No.4995646

>>4993075

>more lame con interviews

Nah, the con stuff is legit quite funny, certainly the only reason I'm subscribed. Watching spergs drop their spaghetti when his anchorman-looking ass starts talking to them never gets old.

>> No.4995768

>>4985969
>emulating games that are only available secondhand anyway so the company never gets the money
>piracy

I know it's """technically""" piracy, but come on.

>> No.4995773

>>4985969
E-CELEB THREADS STAY IN /V/
AND
HIDE

>> No.4995796

>>4985969
you can fuck off back to /v/ faggot

>> No.4996270

>>4995773
>>4995796
Look, it's the circlejerkers calling people faggots.

Imagine that.

Thanks for contributing.

>> No.4996697

>>4990348
I think it should be either the moment the creator themselves decides during their life or the moment they die, although 50 years is also a good way of doing it. Copyright definitely should not belong to creator's descendants/family or some other nebulous fucks. This current situation is outrageous and creates a cultural burgeous class that essentially leeches off art without producing it.

>> No.4996704

>>4996270
Take it to your comments section.

>> No.4997268

>>4989175
This has been a long going thing.
This group has actually done this before
https://www.catholic.org/news/national/story.php?id=62413

Also Baphomet is a demon of Justice, So the irony is that he actually a pretty swell guy.