[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 280 KB, 598x620, F3F41EF7-1606-4464-A264-2E880E421E0A.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4626267 No.4626267 [Reply] [Original]

Any good resources for learning about retro console repair? I’ve been checking out a few videos on YouTube but I could have sworn there was a “Repair General” on /vr/ every now and then (could have been /vg/)

I was interested specifically in controller refurbishing and repair, I picked up two Dreamcast controllers and the left trigger doesn’t work on one of them

>> No.4626303

I'm also pretty sure that general was here. I wonder what happened to OP

>> No.4626310

>>4626267
>I picked up two Dreamcast controllers and the left trigger doesn’t work on one of them
Does it rattle when you shake it?

>> No.4626325

>>4626310
No more than the functional one, I don’t think

>> No.4626467

>Terrified to fix childhood Genesis's problem with power connector
>Can't anyways because don't have a soldering iron with adjustable heat
>Dad buys me one for Christmas

I no longer have any excuse
I fix appliances for a living but it's extremely rare that I do any component stuff. Any advice on how to not fuck this? The connector is coming up off the board but has still worked for the last ~18 years like that so long as you lay something on the cord to hold it down. I figure it's probably arcing in there occasionally so even if it's been working that long, I should fix it. Plus it won't reset anytime anyone walks past it too enthusiastically.

I figure I just need to solder it down. After I've got some experience with this I'll replace the caps in my GG, I guess.

>> No.4626569

I've worked on modding/repairing a sega genesis, a snes, and a gameboy color. happy to help anyone if they need advice on those consoles

>> No.4626586

>>4626325
Ah well, likely the magnet from the "broken" trigger has worked loose and attached itself either to the other trigger or another metal part inside the controller.

Open that bitch up and reunite the bits. Probably the easiest fix in all of retro gaming. The directional controls in Dreamcast (and Saturn 3D) pads are contactless and pretty much indestructible.

>> No.4626697

>>4626569

>>4626467 here
Any general dos/don'ts on doing component stuff? How hot should I set the thing? Type of solder I should use?

>> No.4626976

>>4626267
Just a heads up, I tried running my N64 after leaving it in a box for a few months and it only ran for a few minutes before I lost the image and it then started restarting. At first I thought it was a problem with my RGB mod but I think it was either oxidization in the power supply connection or the expansion pack and its pin connector on the system. I cleaned all of the suspected problem areas with electrical contact cleaner and so far the results are looking pretty good so far. I will keep you guys posted. if anything weird happens.

>> No.4627085

>>4626467
>Any advice on how to not fuck this?
Grab some broken PCB's and practice desoldering some shit off of them without fucking the pads. Then just make sure you are using the right temp and proper non-acid core (go flux core) solder, and get some flux. Use flux and your chosen desoldering method to clean the connector up and that part of the PCB, then solder it back into place. If I recall, the power connector is a through board component, so it shouldn't be too hard to do.

>> No.4627116
File: 39 KB, 640x640, 388B6F32-D842-4E28-9B31-CF5274EC2F98.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4626586
Thanks for the tip, a few videos I saw indicated that would be the case. I’ve never fixed anything like this before so I was glad to see that Dreamcast controller maintenance was pretty simple

I don’t suppose anyone has any pastebins for the old Repair General threads? It’s been so long that I don’t recall if they had any

>> No.4627124

>>4627085
Thanks for the advice m8, I know exactly where to get some fried shit to practice on, too

>> No.4627138

>>4626267
>Any good resources for learning about retro console repair?

Voultar's videos show some pretty good soldering techniques and repairing bad mods/what not to do. GameTechUS has a lot of stuff on toploader nes repairs and others. He's a bit annoying, but https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5Sb21qbpEQ&t=11s is a good series on soldering. As big of dipshits as the retrorgb guys are, they have decent info on rgb modding and some stuff on repairs. I usually have the best luck randomly googling the issues, then using archive.org to look at the pictures or links that are dead in random older forums.

I'd say if you want to learn old console repair, start with picking up junk electronics on the curb and desoldering and resoldering the old components back in. Soldering is dead easy but you need a little practice to get good flow. Good flux is key, it, good solder wick and solder sucker will fix most problems. Honestly with soldering and electronics, you learn as you go. When you replace a capacitor, learn all about how they work and the theory behind them. This keeps chunks of info manageable and doesn't overwhelm you.

>> No.4627142

>>4626467

Flux it good and reflow new solder while touching both the pads and pin that goes through. This is a pretty easy fix without any small components. Same goes for the issue on atari 2600s and many other consoles.

350 is the temp solder melts. I usually use my solder station at 375 as I find it helps with old shitty solder, as does reflowing new into it. Be sure to use lead based solder, lead free is usable but is kind of a pain in the ass.

>> No.4627183

speaking of repairs can anyone help me with a Genesis/Megadrive 3 button controller problem?
The dpad works fine on it, but the ABC and Start buttons have to be pushed down pretty hard for it to send a signal.
Do I just need new rubber pads or something? I opened up the controller and tried to realign the conductive pads but that didn't seem to do anything.

>> No.4627187

>>4627183
They just need a clean. Rub the button contacts on the board with some q-tips and rubbing alcohol until all the grime is gone. There's a ton of youtube videos on how to do it.

I had a controller that wouldn't register button presses at all, but after 10 mins of cleaning it works like new.

>> No.4627190

>>4627183
Clean the pads on the PCB, they should be shiny. DON'T DAMAGE THEM. Seriously. Don't get crazy and take sandpaper to them or some shit. Wipe with soft clean cloth, use a little bit of water if you really feel the need to scrub the grime off. Dry off. Let sit and dry. Go scream at the hippies to stop shitting in your yard. Re-assemble controller. Test. If still not working without mashing, get replacement rubbers for the buttons.

If you find replacement rubbers that aren't overly stiff compared to the originals, let me know.

>> No.4627191

>>4627190
>DON'T DAMAGE THEM.
>use a little bit of water [on a PCB]
Select one of these things.

>> No.4627193

>>4626467
>can't do basic soldering
>dad buys soldering iron
>i fix appliances for a living
Sounds legit. There's no "component stuff" involved. You just hold any fucking iron on a pin until the solder liquefies and then do the same with a few other pins.

>> No.4627202

>>4627191
>I have no idea that pros run PCBs through fucking dish washers
I'm not telling him to throw it in a tub while plugged in, stop being dumb.

>> No.4627206
File: 199 KB, 767x960, 1509632726755.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anyone know where I could get a NES CPU chip? I've done some searching around but I wasn't able to come up with anything. Closest would obviously be to buy another console for repair parts, but at that point may as well just get a new one.

>> No.4627213

>>4627202
It's still bad advice for someone who obviously isn't a "pro". The next thing he "cleans" with a bit of water might have a battery on the board.

>> No.4627221

>>4626267
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL926EC0F1F93C1837
This should be in the repair bread really

>> No.4627245

>>4626976
Turns out there was at least one short happening that was related to my RGB mod, and a cold solder joint that came undone. Took care of those problems and now everything is working again.

>> No.4627312

>>4627221
Dude this whole playlist is rad, thanks!

>> No.4627315

>>4627193
If you think appliance repair requires anything more than the realization that it's bumfuck easy and a relationship with a distributor, you'd be wrong.

>> No.4627717

>>4627315
>If you think
I know anon doesn't make a "living" doing that. Or likely anything else.

>> No.4627981

>>4627717
This is off topic as fuck so I'm dropping it after this but it's fucking funny that you think

A) Appliance repair has any kind of barrier to entry and

B) It's something anyone wants to pretend to be

I don't exactly pull all the ladies for fixing their grandma's dryer, and no one's about to hire me on for helicopter repair or some shit. The only reason people don't do this themselves is because they think it's harder than it is and they don't own a torx screwdriver, and getting parts can be a hassle.

The only soldering it requires is connecting wires when a wire nut won't fit inside the housing. 90% of it is replacing broken belts and oiling/greasing shit that stopped moving and other tasks a toddler could complete. Most wiring problems are no more complex than a neopets flash game as long as you know what's going on where you can't see, i.e. inside a switch. Anything more complicated than that isn't worth the cost of labor when you could just order a new part.

>> No.4628008

>>4627190
>Clean the pads on the PCB, they should be shiny.
Are you recommending anon remove the matt black conductive graphite coating? Because that would not be a good idea in the long term.

>> No.4629758

>>4627206
Sorry man but the NES CPU and any CPU on pretty much everything Nintendo (Except hand held) are not something you can buy over the counter

>> No.4629970

>>4629758
When retro nintendo handhelds have you been buying CPUs over the counter for?

>> No.4630258

>>4629758
I figured. I suppose the best bet would be to ask a video game repair shop - anyone got experience with that?