[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 18 KB, 500x269, evolution.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4166329 No.4166329 [Reply] [Original]

Not sure if this belongs on /v/ or /vg/, but you guys seem nicer than /v/, so I'll post here.

What do old games have that modern ones don't? Is it just nostalgia, or is there some fundamental difference between how we made games then and how we make them now? For the longest time, I thought that I was just kinda growing out of games as a whole, but then I bought some PS2 games on a whim and I had a total blast with them. These were games that I had no nostalgic connection to before playing them, yet I felt like a kid again when I booted them up. This sort of rekindled my hobby for gaming, and I'm finding that most things 7th gen and prior is still appealing to me, but anything past that isn't (with certain exceptions of course). What's going on here? You guys got any thoughts?

>> No.4166339

>>4166329
>but you guys seem nicer than /v/
oh boy where you mistaken

>> No.4166345

>>4166339
Oh gosh, really? Oh well. I made a thread and now I gotta go down with the ship.

>> No.4166347

>>4166329
>What's going on here? You guys got any thoughts?

how should we know, we can't decode your own taste for you

>> No.4166351

>>4166347
I guess I was wondering if any more knowledgeable people here saw a shift in the industry around the time I mentioned..

>> No.4166387

>>4166339
Thats true though, /v/ is cancer.

>>4166351
/vr/ is a very slow board. Come later and you will find some replies. Personally I play retro stuff because I feel like I am paying off a debt with myself - beating all the games I couldnt back then.

>> No.4166402

>>4166329
A lot of games made back then were before the industry had become the mainstream AAA juggernaut it is today, so there was a lot less "safe" about games. There were less rules about what to design, less designing-by-committee, a lot more experimentation.

Simple as that.

>> No.4166410
File: 93 KB, 300x200, 1498917517765.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4166329
The answer is simple: creativity. Games are big business now, therefore less risks are taken, so more emphasis is placed on the development of games which are more or less guaranteed to be successful. Years ago, these trends hadn't been established yet, and the market was much smaller, so people tried all sorts of weird stuff to see what would fit. Quite often, this would result in some awesome games, but ones that the average normie gamer wouldn't be interest in, because the average normie gamer is retarded and wants military shooters, realistic racers, sports games, etc. Moreover, the smaller market meant smaller development teams, which in turn resulted in each member of the team having a great input on the final product, and in many cases they were given more creative freedom. These days, to make a game which can graphically compete with the best, you have to invest a huge amount of time and resources, and companies are no longer willing to take a gamble on such investments. You will never again see the kind of games which were made in the 90s and early 2000s because the industry has changed permanently. That's just the sad truth of the matter.

>> No.4166414

>>4166329
I think developers are less interested in coming up with new ideas today, due to the large budget required to get a AAA release - publishers in prticular are less willing to take risks on new ideas.

Combined with this, there has been an increased focus on narrative-oriented gameplay, often to the point of slowing down action. Developers also want to sell you parts of the game seperately, offering little value.

Indie games take more risks, but are limited in scope compared to AAA thanks to budgetary constraints.

I too feel the turning point was early 7th gen; the lack of interesting new titles is what keeps me going back to older stuff.

>> No.4166419

>>4166329
Made u get good and punished u for failure

>> No.4166421

>>4166387
/vr/ is nicer than /v/ in the way /jp/ is nicer than /v/.

>> No.4166508

>>4166421
/jp/ is a dead board, the old userbase went to /qa/

>> No.4166541
File: 1.82 MB, 320x240, eccoH.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4166329
There are definitely waves of popularity of certain genres over time. If you like 2D platformers, their heyday was 8 and 16 bit. On average games get more rudimentary and less complex as you go backwards, but not always.

>> No.4166542

>>4166410
>Years ago, these trends hadn't been established yet
lol kids

>> No.4166546

>>4166329
Play an old game,play a new game. Question answered.

>> No.4166553
File: 53 KB, 563x350, fish-563x350.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4166329
The pretending to be a new comer, the careful setting up of "no nostalgia" Time for /vr/ to continue it's favorite hobby of talking about how they like retro games because ohh my god they hate modern games. All under the neon false flag of "this is talking about old video games!"

Very well crafted, 10/10 big catch coming in!

>> No.4166561

>>4166329
>is there some fundamental difference between how we made games then and how we make them now?
There is. Back in the beginning, it was one person doing all the work, which slowly grew into a small team. One person handled all the music, one all the graphics, etc. These days it's massive teams for every aspect of the game. But this is due to the change in complexity of developing a game due to the demand for ever better graphics.

Of course, there's also been a large change in what's needed to develop a game, and the resulting design philosophy changed as a result. For the NES you would need to know how to manipulate the CPU registers and muck about with RAM and the PPU manually, as well as understand CRT's well enough to be able to work with the vblanks, then shove it all into about 1MB of space in 6502 ASM. Raw data everywhere, write your own compression and decompression!
To make a game today you can grab a pre-made game engine that handles everything for you up to and including netcode, and you plug in the assets you make. Unless you are going extreme high-end on graphics, you don't need to worry about optimization either. You don't need to understand the user's hardware on a register level, you don't need to write your own code for every single part of the program, you don't need to write your program to do the majority of the work during the milliseconds between the time the electron beam hits the bottom of the screen and gets back to the top, you don't need to worry about scanline sprite limits, you don't need to worry about sprite size limits, you don't need to worry about color palette limitations, and if anyone isn't able to run your game at full-speed you just wait a year and people will have better hardware.

It's more complicated in scale now, but making a game these days is far easier and requires a lot less understanding of the hardware.

>> No.4166579

>>4166561
Lol

>> No.4166741
File: 15 KB, 383x480, 78326_original_large[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4166329
I was going to write a big long examination of every gen including 0 but really the big, big problem with gaming is that in the mid to late '00s there was a perfect storm of mediocrity only rivaled by the 3rd-4th gen transition aka "the crash"

Very much like in the early to mid 80s, video games became popular enough to be almost a license to print money no matter how lame and uninspired they were.

Happily, in the '10s we now have ever increasing access to indie games and small games far far far more than ever before so all you need to do is look hard enough and know what you want well enough which I think is the biggest appeal of retro games to gamers like you. The simpler a game is, the fewer different things it tries to do at once and the easier it is to really find and enjoy what it is that you personally like about gaming.

>> No.4166747

>>4166741
I think it's the popularity of fps games in that time.

>> No.4166852

>>4166747
That's a big part of it, yes. The safest bet was to just make a new game that was essentially the same as the last wildly popular game and even if someone tried to make an innovative game it got funneled through a samey "engine".

>> No.4166913

>>4166542
>lol kids
Do you actually think that gaming companies and marketers knew the perfect way to jew consumers out of money in the 80s and 90s, or are you just retarded?

>> No.4167057

>>4166410
Came here to say something these lines, but I was gonna use "passion" over "creativity." I think people just gave more of a shit, not just for market reasons but because of the novelty. Higher standards, much higher aspirations.

>> No.4167067

>>4166913
>implying new mindbending ways to jew people aren't being constantly invented in jew think tanks

>> No.4167080

Games made in different times work through different paradigms,be it in game play, art style, sound etc.

This is what interests most people when it comes to retro games, they judlst don't make those games anymore. This, per se, isn't good or bad. But it means that those experiences provided by retro games can generally only be provided by them.

>> No.4167156

>>4166852
It's always been that way with popular genres. Tons of platformers used to dominate things.

>> No.4167182
File: 159 KB, 512x640, 1983_pacman[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4167156
Yeah but the 2D/3D transition is what busted that trend which was innovation not the market getting completely sick of that shit which is what happened with the 2nd gen. Likewise now we can see that the transition to "social gaming" is naturally gradually putting the FPS thing to rest.

Social gaming will shatter the gaming market and that'll probably be a good thing except for how unfortunately the most high-concept gaming audience is probably also the stingiest with their money versus the mobile jewel-buying simulation audience.

At least we're finally getting back to a place where there are some video game designers that are really trying to express themselves artistically. They don't want any more profit than to support themselves and their work modestly and they're able to find enough of an audience to do that, and enough portion of fame to fuel their creativity.

Retro gaming is great but balls-deep modern gaming is definitely on an upswing and WAY better than it was ten years ago.

>> No.4167239

>>4167182
>modern gaming is definitely on an upswing and WAY better than it was ten years ago.
>tripfaggot is a tasteless retard
Who would have thought?

>> No.4167802

>>4167239
There is so much more variety in gaming now than there was in the late '00s you'd have to be a cognitive dissonant to think it's not better. I can probably even hazard a guess that the reason you think the current state of gaming is so terrible is because you specifically focus on the emerging subgenres you hate the most to the exclusion of things you would like. Hell, you probably don't even know what you like and simply soothe your troubled soul with the balm of nostalgia. That's only going to work for so long then you're going to start making threads like "SoTN is shit" or one of those angry guy images with some gameplay element in greentext.

>> No.4167842

>>4167239
>taste

Your fishing sucks, bro.

>> No.4169427

>>4167802
fakegramps is drunk again

>> No.4169437

>>4166329
>you guys seem nicer than /v/
Jesus, modern /v/ must be a fucking warzone.

>> No.4169552
File: 5 KB, 218x232, 1495756756134.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4166329
Hardware limitations forced us to use our eemaaginnttionns in conjunction with the game.
>things are better when both sides give and take.
.....miss those days..

>> No.4169558

>>4169437
Nah, neo-/v/ was colonized by canadian Redditors, since the oldfags went to other boards and sites. I think April Fools showed how bad it really was.

>> No.4169589
File: 37 KB, 460x460, aqZLZqM_460s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4166329
>>4169552
>Eemaaginaattiionns*
also lack of variety of games.(compared to now)

>> No.4169647

>>4166561
>but making a game these days is far easier
This isn't true. While it's true that an understanding of the hardware is not as necessary anymore, other areas have gotten much more difficult.
For one, you need far more math these days than you used to. Understanding of trigonometry, calculus, linear algebra, and physics are absolutely vital. Simply using an engine is not enough to make a professional game. Custom, complex collision detection still needs to be done by humans. Furthermore, most studios that use an engine still write their own shaders to make the game look original. This involves complex math. To do the art for games you actually need to be an artist! The work artists do in tools like zBrush is as difficult as traditional sculpting. You can't just hack together blocky meshes together and call it a character anymore.

>> No.4169662

Modern game developers use tricks they've learned from the gambling industry to get their players addicted. Gamification is being applied to real games.

>> No.4169686

>>4166339
/vr/ has some helpful bros around, but it also definitely has the most pedantic, annoying, brain dead people I've encountered on 4chan, who will derail a thread for the most arbitrary pointless reason

>> No.4169692
File: 41 KB, 960x720, shallowandpedantic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4169686
Well anon, if I must say so myself I find your post to be shallow and pedantic.

>> No.4170215

>>4166329
>Not sure if this belongs on /v/ or /vg/
Once i made a thread to compare First zelda with last zelda and got deleted. Just be warned

>> No.4171093

>>4169552
You have mental problems.

>> No.4171107

>>4166345
/vr/ is great except for castlevania threads

>> No.4171135

>>4171107
shmup threads get pretty hot too, sometimes

>> No.4171137

>>4171107

Yeah, the CV threads and shmup threads are rough.
Aside from that, I like /vr/. Neat place.

>> No.4171153

>>4166410
exactly.

>> No.4171194
File: 999 KB, 500x280, monwXD1r0sqjpo1_500.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4167802
I dunno, maybe it's different tastes in games but I think there's been a lot of great stuff over the last 10 years. Roguelikes finally started gaining popularity, Street Fighter IV spearheaded a resurgence in fighting games as a huge genre. And even though FPS games which I don't care for were wildly popular, there was a ton of other stuff as well.

Off the top of my head, some favorites that came along in that time. I'm sure there's a bunch I'm forgetting because I keep remembering and adding them but the list is pretty big already so I'll just post.

Space Invaders Extreme
Batman: Arkham Asylum
Valkyria Chronicles
Braid
Dragon's Dogma
SMT: Strange Journey
Dark Void Zero
Witcher 2
Braid
Civilization V
Super Meat Boy
GTA:Chinatown Wars
Retro Game Challenge
Order of Ecclesia
Peggle
Tomb Raider Underworld
Etrian Odyssey 1, 2, 3, 4
Plants vs Zombies
Dwarf Fortress
Rabi Laby
Monster Hunter 3
Monster Hunter 4
Just Cause 2
Fez
Bayonetta
Machinarium
Puzzle Quest
Bravely Default
Injustice
Red Dead Redemption
Xeodrifter
Bastion
X-Com
Hotline Miami
Animal Crossing: New Leaf
Stardew Valley
Papers Please
Invisible, inc.
A Link Between Worlds
Child of Light
Gravity Falls
Axiom Verge
Etrian Mystery Dungeon

>> No.4171751

>>4171107
I see a lot of display and emulation threads get shat up here where if you don't use the same hardware as them ur playing objectively wrong.

>> No.4171817

Games stopped being fun after 2000 for me

Mainly because all the gaming mechanics are identical now from when they were then. The biggest thing we got in the whole decade was procedural generation and it only worked for minecraft and devs making shitty open world memes because they don't have to use so much time building landscapes.

>> No.4171883

>>4171817
I am so glad I'm not you.

>> No.4172557

>>4171751
This guy had been paying attention. /vr/ shitposting gets pretty bad depending on the thread.

>> No.4172692

>>4167182
What exactly do you mean by social gaming? Is this what led to Nintendo's design choice with the Switch?

>> No.4172696

>>4171194
Yes, what I'm saying is that video gaming hit a real low in the mid 2000s then over the last ten years has been steadily improving and is in a pretty good place right now as long as you ignore the shitty hugbox subcultures which you pretty much have to do in any hobby these days. It's not quite as incredible as the 90s were but it's still pretty good and hopefully still getting better.

>> No.4172728

>>4172692
I really don't know how it works on Switch. I mainly am referring to the way Steam works but that same style is beginning to be applied to all platforms. With the online distribution, SO many games are available and not only do you have them rated by the entire community, but every user has their own smaller more specialized communities they become part of and can see what games those people are playing so even if some game is lambasted by the popular hugbox opinion, your group can still let you know if it's good or bad. Plus that focus on the online, community elements helps make sure that the developers actually profit from their games - and more fairly too. Plus withthe low overhead involved in online distribution games are cheaper than they've ever been and organically go down in price much faster and more naturally that Gamestop ever did it. If Switch manages to attach portability and real world socializing to that model that would be great but I did see some article that said the majority of Switch users don't use the online functions at all so we'll see how that shakes out.

>> No.4172746

>>4172728
I thought you meant social gaming as in local split screen play in the real world which is why I mentioned the Switch which has that feature coupled with portability.
What you say about online communities is really interesting. I remember watching an interview with David Bowie around 99, and he was asked about how he thinks the internet will change music. He brought up the same exact point you did where he predicted that there will be a shift to online communities where people share the same interest on genres as opposed to caring about singular artists and albums which will be a thing of the past.

>> No.4172750

>>4172746
Nah. I mean, it's nice to see a focus on real world socializing and if anyone can do it independently of online socializing it's Nintendo. It would be REALLY nice if there were a platform like that, portable that also had a strong online community and then what's more had a mechanic that brought people together locally. Probably people are getting too paranoid about strangers online but it really is nice seeing the reverse happen with guys who are younger than I am, continuing to play games with the guys they grew up couch multiplaying with despite being across the country or even across the world and still having a similar experience. I envy that. I don't have nearly the same contact with the people I grew up with and one of my very best friends from childhood killed himself new year's eve 2000. I feel like if he'd have been more connected with his friends through his gaming hobby as he no doubt would have been today that things might have been different. I even had made vague plans to get together and play some games the final time I saw him alive.

>> No.4172785
File: 361 KB, 174x172, 1333548559262.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4172696
Ahh guess I misunderstood. But our positions remain about the same, those years gave me some awesome games the original Monster Hunter (maybe favorite game of all time) Wind Waker (favorite Zelda) MGS 2, MGS 3 (favorite MG by a lot) Zone of Enders 2 (just plain amazing) Okaimi. I'm not going to make another xboxhuge list but you get the idea. I don't really see any slumps or think gaming has ever really had a bad year.

The closest thing to a slump era to me is actually the start of 5th gen when all the consoles started going for 3D but couldn't really make it shine. Even still though there were a ton of amazing games, a lot of them just looked kinda janky.

>> No.4172787

>>4172728
I agree with all this.

>> No.4172802

>>4172728
Smartphones would be the answer to that. Now, the rest of your post really fucked me up and the timing of it is uncanny. I made the error of reconnecting with old friends from elementary days. It was a mixed bag of sorts. One girl got into low-level pornography. A few became extreme leftists in uni. One got into drugs and is now in rehab. One died in a car accident. Some followed in their parent's footsteps and they're fine. A few turned out to be okay by making their own shops or going in their choice of a musical path. Some are turning out to be highly successful in their careers, good for them. Another became an orphan and is struggling to make ends meet. One is burdened with taking care of his ill mother. Another went off to serve and is in the middle of his tour. What bothered me the most wasn't the bad that I saw, because some of them turned out to be okay so I can't really get sad over what happened to the other half. What really bothered me was how much we had changed, regardless of it being for the better or for the worse. We curse, we drink, we smoke, we fuck strangers, and I seem to be the only one who gambles. These are the kind of acts that are to be expected from seedy adults. We are no longer the innocent kids we were trading Gameboy games during recess. Everyone has strayed off in their own paths and is now stressed with society's bearings of adulthood.
To any younglings reading this, please don't make the mistake of waiting too long to reconnect with your old friends. If you do, chances are they will have changed to the point of being completely unrecognizable. I had a complete breakdown because of this fact and I'm still trying to shake it off but it helped me realize where I am now and not to look into the past for solace to wish you were a kid again. Now I can see them for who they are now. It helps as a way of knowing where you are in life, knowing you weren't the only one that has changed. I'm sorry for what happened to your friend.

>> No.4172815

>>4172802
>>4172750
Sorry for the blog post, I needed to vent and your story brought it out.

>> No.4172834

>>4172802
Life is constant change. You've finally started noticing, which is good because understanding that it's a constant state of flux and that time is always moving is important. You can never go back to feeling how you did as a kid, you can however move forward into places better than you imagined. Or worse of course, the choice is yours.

>> No.4172868

>>4166329
Try traditional roguelike. Amazingly great worlds, little to no graphics. It's amazing how much game and worldbuilding is in things like atom, yet, and even not retro dwarf fortress.

>> No.4172872

>>4166329
Retro games were more before the formula was established. You'll find more risk taking and less sameness. Modern aaa games don't take risks or try new things as much.

>> No.4172917

>>4166741
Indie is definitely carrying the torch for gaming now. Vagante is my favorite new not retro retro style game. Aaa is just too safe and same.

>> No.4172950

>>4172917

Besides minecancer name one

>> No.4172954
File: 3.81 MB, 394x281, 1496460934586.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4167802
>There is so much more variety in gaming now than there was in the late '00s you'd have to be a cognitive dissonant to think it's not better
Look at this faggot. Look at him and laugh.

>> No.4172981

>>4172950
River city ransom underground. Super motherload. Steredenn. Unreal world. Stephen's sausage roll. Owlboy. Infinifactory. Brigador. There's lots man, just have to shift through the shit.

>> No.4172982

>>4172917
>Indie is definitely carrying the torch for gaming now
The torch for what? The special olympics? Indie games are a fucking joke. You want "safe and same"? Play indie games. They all look fucking identical, like a bunch of shit flash games or "pixel art" fucktardary. On top of that, 99% of them are just a poor fascimile of better games, usually bullshit like Mario. Good AAA releases don't happen nearly as often as they used to, but indie as a whole was, is, and will forever be hot trash.

>> No.4172983

>>4172872
AAA games have never been about risk taking. There are still plenty of risk taking innovative games.

>> No.4173018
File: 130 KB, 875x477, fc8[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4172954
>>4172982
Your /v/ is showing. Whenever I'm feeling like looking at something new, I go on my chosen site and look at the complete list of recent releases since the last time I did so and it never ceases to amaze me that multiple new games come out every single day of every single month. They are certainly not all the same, not at all. Sure the majority of them are not for me. My personal average is maybe 15% that even interest me and maybe 5% that I end up playing but I'm really only looking for one or two games and there's no trouble finding that. If you can't even enjoy 1% of the thousand or more games that come out every recent year then there's something seriously wrong with you.

I strongly suspect you're /v/-style misanthropes and I don't fucking like the effect people like you have been having on /vr/ once your nostalgia and/or enchantment wears off.

>> No.4173026

>>4172834
Yeah, I'm trying to get used to trading childhood security for freedom but it comes with the price of responsibility. Sometimes it can be too much.

>>4172982
That usually applies to indie games trying to be retro games. There's gems out there but you have to know where to look and what developer to follow.

>> No.4173036

>>4173018
>it never ceases to amaze me that self-congratulating self-publishing produces heaps of shit every single day
You must be really mentally deficient.

>> No.4173037

>>4166329
Both the N64 and Wii controller are a deformed pieces of shit.

>> No.4173043

>>4173026
Many indie games were made by people who grew up loving what you now call retro games. You can not like them, but discounting them because of their inspiration is funny.

>> No.4173050

>>4173036
>Everything now is utter irredeemable shit
>That guy over there who doesn't agree with me must be mentally deficient!

you poor thing

>> No.4173052

>>4173018
>I strongly suspect you're /v/-style misanthropes and I don't fucking like the effect people like you have been having on /vr/ once your nostalgia and/or enchantment wears off.
LOL good one tripfag, if anyone is having a negative effect on this board it's you. I see your retarded ass in every fucking thread I open, spouting bullshit and pretending your opinion means fuck all. News flash: it doesn't.

Wow, who'da thunk, new games come out every day, just like the shit that comes out of my ass. Your dumbfuck argument is hinged upon one concept: "Out of all this trash, there must be something good!". That's problem, it's a load of fucking trash. You have to dig through a mound of needles to find a single piece of hay. The number of actual good games proportional to the number of worthless indie abortions is unfathomable. The market is saturated with newsgrounds-level feces and retards like you are the main customer. Now shut the fuck up.

>> No.4173063

>>4173052
Damn him for not spending all his time on /vr/ having a tantrum over modern gaming. He doesn't even call everyone else a liberal cuckfaggot millennial. Why won't he let the board culture flourish like it's supposed to!?!?

>> No.4173069

>>4172802
>One girl got into low-level pornography.
Hot
>A few became extreme leftists in uni.
Unacceptable. Modern radical leftism has crossed the line to dangerous
>One got into drugs and is now in rehab.
Seems like a cool dude. Did he wreck his life first or did he just go in to be safe?
>One died in a car accident.
Somebody always does. Was it the one who was crazy on the road or the one that was scared on the road?
Some followed in their parent's footsteps and they're fine.
Probably the wisest route if you ask me
>A few turned out to be okay by making their own shops or going in their choice of a musical path.
Hopefully they have fallback plans. Not that they're never successful, but the ones that end up succeeding always had the best fallbacks, too
>Some are turning out to be highly successful in their careers, good for them.
Damn hard workers! Seems so fucking boring to just plow your way into mid-management by proving you're willing to work the hardest. I guess people who want to be somebody else's golden goose.
Another became an orphan and is struggling to make ends meet.
How do you become an orphan in adulthood No life insurance or even social security payout to help him get on his feet?
One is burdened with taking care of his ill mother.
Every decent person shoulders that burden sooner or later. I'm sure he burdened her plenty as a baby
Another went off to serve and is in the middle of his tour.
America, fuck yeah! Before or after he knew it was gonna be Trump? Wait are you even American? You said "uni".

>>4173026
You'll never be either completely secure or completely free and you never were. All that actually changes as you get older is that you gain more and more perspective - and of course the world changes, but not actually all that much in any meaningful way. There's actually a much greater conservation of labor all the time, which is why we can live comfortably and still have time to contemplate this shit lol.

>> No.4173072

>>4173063
I think it a lot but I try not to say it.

>> No.4173074

>>4167067
>>>>>>>>>/pol/

>> No.4173080

>>4173069
>Modern radical leftism has crossed the line to dangerous

Extremists on both sides are fucking things up royally.

>> No.4173094

>>4173080
But the left got the cultural hegemony, you're fucking things up worse.

>> No.4173096

>>4167067
>implying new mindbending ways to jew people aren't being constantly invented in jew think tanks
Uh I'm pretty sure he was implying the exact opposite of that, retard.

>> No.4173108

>>4173094
This is exactly part of the problem. I wouldn't really consider myself leftist, but it's like if I'm not alt-right I seem to get called a communist. Even when I say extremists on both sides are bad it's instantly assumed I'm a liberal shill.

Because if you're that far on either the left or the right, people in the center seem like people on the other extreme. Which is exactly part of the clusterfuck going on

>> No.4173112
File: 635 KB, 1280x960, Mega Drive Guy vs PC Engine Guy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173074
Cheerfully withdrawn!

>>4173096
>>4173080
Start a /pol/ thread with a retro gaming spin and I'll be happy to really open up on my feelings about both these things but not on /vr/

>> No.4173125

>>4173069
I'm American. I didn't know uni was European vernacular. And yeah he enlisted before Trump. I forgot to mention I learned one had committed suicide in high school, which I blocked out of my head. What you said on perspective changing is true but you also have to count the environment changing around you. People change and have malicious intent. Kids can be assholes, but even at their worst they are still not as bad as older people who try to use and backstab you. That fact added into the stress of adulthood and learning how to be responsible is exhausting. It's part of the reason I still play my N64 and Gameboy to cope with it all. I know I can't abuse it or I'll end up as a manchild. Meeting your old friends really is a good form of shock therapy.

>>4173043
I do like them. Shovel Knight is still one of my favorite games ever despite how much hate it gets.

>> No.4173143

>>4173125
Nah, even as a kid other kids try to use and backstab you. Just none of you have the perspective to get so upset by it. As a parent, it amazes me how shitty that kids can be to each other and it's a real life puzzle about how to mold my boy to process and respond to it without being too shitty in some other way. It's honestly a shame that he won't be able to just punch people as an adult without it basically ruining his life. What a world.

>> No.4173217

>>4169686
Anyone know how to get dust out of an old NES cartridge?

>> No.4173243

>>4173143
>It's honestly a shame that he won't be able to just punch people as an adult without it basically ruining his life.

I think it's a shame there are still people like you in this world who yearn for a time when violence was an acceptable way of disagreeing with someone. It's a bumpy road, but this is one of the many ways I see the world going in the right direction.

>> No.4173258
File: 5 KB, 224x224, 1501332476532s.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173143
>this faggot is a fucking parent and spends his entire day shitposting on 4chan
>talks about "the right way" to raise a child

>> No.4173276

>>4173243
>doesn't know anybody who needs their ass beat
ok

>>4173258
I pop in and out, kinda like with your mom.

I'm living the single life for a couple days while he and his mom visit her parents so get ready for me to get as "bad" as I ever do. I haven't even started drinking yet!

We really should go back to talking about at the very least video games though. Like right now I'm level grinding through the 20s in Dark Souls 3 and I'm enjoying it every bit as much as grinding levels in Final Fantasy 7 or Ys 3. Game is good.

>> No.4173308
File: 33 KB, 300x282, 1325802380977.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173276
>doesn't know anybody who needs their ass beat
>ok
Yeah, see just when I was starting to like you again I get a reminder. I think people who think as you do are nearly sub human.

Now you can call me a liberal commie cuck like all the other tards out there because you've never met a real conservative

>> No.4173316

>>4173276
I guess that "I use a tripcode because I like to make sure all my posts are informative and good quality" shit you told us a while back has gone clear out the window.

>> No.4173320

>>4173276
>I pop in and out, kinda like with your mom.
My mom was a stay at home mother that cared for me and didn't shitpost on 4chan all day, which is a lot more than I can say for your unfortunate spawn.

>I'm living the single life for a couple days while he and his mom visit her parents so get ready for me to get as "bad" as I ever do. I haven't even started drinking yet!
This is too cringey not to screencap. I'm going to save this and post it every time I see you say something else autistic.

>We really should go back to talking about at the very least video games though. Like right now I'm level grinding through the 20s in Dark Souls 3 and I'm enjoying it every bit as much as grinding levels in Final Fantasy 7 or Ys 3. Game is good.
The ravings of an autist.

>> No.4173326
File: 29 KB, 1326x313, autism.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173320
Beat you to it.

>> No.4173331

>>4173326
Man, I don't care what anybody says, I love tripfags. They are literally e-jesters that are forced to run a daily gauntlet of criticism and abuse for our enjoyment.

>> No.4173336
File: 148 KB, 550x763, 1434267580737.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173316
I'm merely responding to people who are engaging me while also attempting to keep the thread from becoming completely derailed

>>4173320
>4chan was a thing when I was a child
>On-topic posts are autism
Wew Lad

>>4173326
You'll understand when you're older.

>> No.4173343

>>4173336
>I'm merely responding to people who are engaging me while also attempting to keep the thread from becoming completely derailed
And yet you are literally derailing the thread.

>Wew Lad
You just started autistically talking about your latest Dark Souls 3 playthrough in a thread about the trends of the video game industry. Your post was not on topic, but yes, you are autistic.

I wonder how long it will be before this faggot can't handle the heat of everyone constantly shitting on him and he'll either go full-anon or give up and buy a rope.

>> No.4173376

>>4173343
I have the support and the enmity of exactly the two types of anons I intended to polarize from the beginning. It is YOUR meaningless, vacant actual shitposting that is fucking with this thread and fucking with /vr/ as a whole and I'm sure you're the anon or anons who were just arguing that literally every modern game is shit. All I have to do to trigger you is drop some little tidbit of a joke with a little of my personality attached and off you go, bumping the thread I like and swelling the board's post count only to be pruned soon thereafter but serving as what one would think would be a clear demonstration of the board's official direction so you're either completely fresh /v/-tier shitposters or you're obstinately destructive and having an ever harder time hiding it.

>> No.4173385

>>4173376
>It is YOUR meaningless, vacant actual shitposting that is fucking with this thread and fucking with /vr/ as a whole
And yet you fail to realize that tripfagging in and of itself is the most cancerous thing you can do.

>All I have to do to trigger you is drop some little tidbit of a joke with a little of my personality attached and off you go
LOL! "with my personality attached", autism is personality now, fucking l m a o.

>bumping the thread I like and swelling the board's post count only to be pruned soon thereafter but serving as what one would think would be a clear demonstration of the board's official direction so you're either completely fresh /v/-tier shitposters or you're obstinately destructive and having an ever harder time hiding it.
What a fucking trainwreck of a post.

>> No.4173386
File: 1.74 MB, 3264x2448, Stax.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Furthermore, brushing aside Dark Souls as somehow irrelevant to the state of modern gaming makes me 1000% positive that you're a /v/-tier shitposter.

>> No.4173390

>>4173386
Failing to realize that your playthrough of Dark Souls 3 has nothing to do with the thread makes me 1000% positive that you are suffering from a spectrum disorder.

>> No.4173418

>>4173308
So... You think of Blacks as sub-human too, then?

>> No.4173420

>>4173385
>literally meaningless buzzword salad, could probably have been composed by a chatbot

tripfagging in and of itself is basically nothing, it's the perpetuation of assumptions that you as a /v/-tier shitposter about tripfagging that's cancerous.

>>4173390
The Souls Series are brilliant modern games and that's a fact. Just that alone demonstrates that great games are still being made. I've also been playing Everspace, No Man's Sky, Darkest Dungeon and I'm looking forward to Shadow of War. These are good games go ahead and try to tell me they're not. You'll have nothing but bullshit reasons which it will only be a matter of time before you start trying to project onto retro games too.

Seriously, fuck that. You're not doing it. The statute of limitations is up on the retro games. The ones that were great are still great and will always be great.

Ultimately, your meaningless hysterics over current gaming will be ignored too.

>> No.4173425

>>4173385
Since when? Fuck you mate, BOOF, OPERATOR, and Bunnyguts were some of my favorite posters way back when. At least I could keep track of them.
Tripfags can be good or bad, Anon. You're just a fucking retard.

>> No.4173438

>>4173331
Agreed. Besides, some of them are pretty great.

>> No.4173448
File: 78 KB, 425x500, 1139122378766.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173418
Of course. A black person who thinks like that is the same as a white person who thinks like that. People are all the same.

>> No.4173449

>>4173420
Personally, I'll disagree about Everspace. I didn't much like it, but that's just because it's not for me. That and No Man's Sky. Also another game, I didn't love. DarkSouls was good, but overly hyped, and Darkest Dungeon I haven't played yet, but I've got it installed and waiting once I finish playing through the original XCOM.

>> No.4173451
File: 26 KB, 140x140, Ohmy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173331
I never looked at it that way but that's true and somewhat funny actually

>> No.4173458

>>4173448
>literally 90% of blacks
At least you're honest. I'll give you that much, Anon.
I still believe that part of the issue is kids not actually being disciplined though. Getting your ass beat here and there definitely teaches you not to fuck up like that again. Or at least, not get caught.

>> No.4173459

>>4173451
The best fish are the ones who think they're they're the trawler :)

>> No.4173469

>>4173458
Agreed, but discipline with violence is weak and stupid.

Also, I've lived in Kenya for a time. There's nothing inherently violent about black people, on an individual level they're no more violent that white people for sure (Scottish heritage). But if you're from America, most of the black people you encounter are part of a seriously fucked up social system that's on the verge of boiling over. I'm not surprised how many of them act.

>> No.4173479

>>4173469
If I knew that the police around me could and would with decent likelyhood and impunity, frame me or greatly inflate a crime or even kill me despite never doing anything, I would act very differently towards the world, the government and the law.

Here in Canada I talk to black people every day and they're just normal people. I live in one of the most multicultural cities in the world, it's not a massive riot, it's pretty damn peaceful.

>> No.4173491

>>4173459
>The best fish are the ones who think they're they're the trawler :)
Lmao what the fuck are you even talking about retard? What could this possibly even mean? That people who don't out themselves as degenerate tripfaggers are actually the the puppets in the grand tripfagger's scheme? Shut the fuck up brabbage baby.

>> No.4173494

>>4173469
When whites first encountered blacks, they were running around half-naked stabbing each other with sticks.

Today, in America 2017, they're still running around half-naked stabbing each other with sticks.

Food for thought, anon.

>> No.4173498

>>4173491
I'll let you think about it a while.

>> No.4173505
File: 49 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173425
>Fuck you mate, BOOF, OPERATOR, and Bunnyguts were some of my favorite posters way back when
It's a fucking anonymous imageboard you troglodyte. Anonymity is what prevents the site from turning into redd1t. Giving posters an identity allows them to build some kind of "reputation" which gives them an artificial weight over the opinions of others. Thankfully, the average anon isn't as fucking autistic as you and doesn't indulge tripfags, instead they make fun of them or ignore them entirely, which is what they deserve for trying to build an online identity in the first place. Fuck yourself douchebag.

>> No.4173507

>>4173494
Yeah and the whites kidnapped them and used other humans as cattle and slaves. Food for thought.

Also if you think native Kenyans are on average more violent than native Scotsmen you're off your rocker.

>> No.4173509
File: 1.21 MB, 930x903, 1498502167828.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173498
>I'll let you think about it a while.
Lmao what a fucking retard. Don't stop using your trip now faggot child, we all know it's you.

>> No.4173515

>>4173507
>Yeah and the whites kidnapped them and used other humans as cattle and slaves. Food for thought.
Fucking l m a o, I knew you were gonna say this. Your retarded, uneducated ass actually believes this. Their own fucking people sold them to slavers. Do some fucking research if you don't believe me faggot.

>Also if you think native Kenyans are on average more violent than native Scotsmen you're off your rocker.
You're the one who claims people are a product of their environment and not genetics, now you're saying the opposite? Sounds like a pretty sweeping generalization to make for a cuckold like you.

>> No.4173517
File: 51 KB, 249x296, michael.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4173509
>he thinks I'm baby gramps

lol

>> No.4173520

>>4173517
If you aren't him, you're both the same special kind of autistic.

>> No.4173529

>>4173515
Do you think that's an excuse. How they got them is irrelevant. Slavery is disgusting.

>You're the one who claims people are a product of their environment and not genetics, now you're saying the opposite?

The culture you were raised in matters was my point, Scottish culture is much more violent. American black culture is even more violent still, but that's not because they're black (other black cultures are plenty chill and black people integrated into peaceful cultures are peaceful) it's because they come from a fucked up country that's been fucking their kind for centuries.

>> No.4173531

Not speaking for everyone here, but I was born in 1980 and grew up playing the Master System and NES. I loved it. These systems and the games I played were my world. Got into the Genesis and SNES, but it wasn't quite the same. Couldn't do the N64. Really really tried to enjoy it but it was just too foreign to me. By the time everything became 3d I was lost. Hate modern games. They're just too involved, too 3d. Idk, for me I just got used to the old style games and I can't really play anything new. Shrug.

>> No.4173534

>>4173520
Congrats on somehow finding a way to be an even bigger tool than he is.

>> No.4173579

>>4173505
Maybe in your world. They only have as much power as you give them.

I disagree about the Reddit thing, though. Here's why: I started coming to 4chan in 2006. I was 16 at the time. My older brother was on it, and he showed me and I fucking loved the place. Hint hint here, there were plenty of tripfags. And yeah, some people hated them then, and some people didn't. If they made a bad post, they got shit on for it. If they made a good post, people laughed and life went on. You're a fucking idiot to really think having a name honestly matters on some fucking image board. Like, god damn, what's he gonna do? SHARE HIS GOD DAMN OPINION ON SOMETHING? OH FUCK, WOW, MAN THAT WAS TERRIBLE. GOD DAMN HE GOT ME GOOD.

You're a fag and you suck cocks all day, Anon.

>> No.4173592

>>4173579
The other reason for me disagreeing witht he reddit piece is that they've had plenty of time to do something awesome and I still haven't seen them do it yet. Back in '06-'09, I'd say there was plenty of cool shit going on here. Lots of jokes about everything. Jokes still happen here, but now we've got more meme-tards doing their thing. /pol/ used to be fun. /b/ used to be fun, long before it became a god damn trap-porn page. It may have been a pile of shit, and yeah, it was, but you don't see any of the best shit that used to happen going on anymore. The internet has been heavily gentrified. I used to wait in threads just to see dudes shove stuff in their ass. People actually used to follow through on dubs and trips. Anons used to have balls. Redditors never did.

>> No.4173624 [DELETED] 

>>4166410
/thread

>> No.4173649

>>4173529
>>4173515
>>4173507
>>4173494
>>4173469
>>4173479
>>4173458
>>4173448
>>4173418
>>4173308
>>>/pol/

>> No.4173654

>>4173125
>Shovel Knight
>Hated
Nigger, almost literally everyone loves Shovel Knight and for good reason: it's actually well-designed, cheap and it's a good 3-5 hour romp of fun. I've actually sen very little hate for Shovel Knight at all really.

>> No.4173657

>>4173592
I love how you complain about both gentrification and trap porn in the same breath. Sorry 4chan isn't here to be your friend.

>> No.4173658

>>4173654
Is this your first day on vr? It gets massive shit here

>> No.4173662

>>4173657
Seeing as Trap porn wouldn't have been accepted back then as the norm, yeah. You're really retarded aint'cha? but hey, degeneracy comes in all shapes and sizes, don't it?

>> No.4173671

>>4173658
Because it's >NOT RETRO

Let's put it this way.
Everyone who's played it loves it.

>> No.4173672

>>4173658
We just play Duck Tales instead is all. I do think pseudo-retro games are kind of interesting I kind of liked Psycho Waluigi but they're not nearly as interesting as games on actual retro platforms that have actual hard limitations as opposed to arbitrary mostly aesthetic ones.

>> No.4173703

>>4172802
Gonna need that girls nudes or porn name, bruh. Dont tell me i really dont wanna see her because i really do.

Also, its unfortunate but welcome to life. Its a shitstorm of change that destroys innocence and steals one's ability to jave fun. We are adults now and we dont get to have fun like we used to. BUT YA STILL GOTTA TRY MUH MAN!

>> No.4173707

>>4173662
You weren't on b much back then. We made linetrap. Now she's a pornstar it's glorious. B was always super kinky and weird

>> No.4173718

>>4173707
/b/ had a lot more than trap porn on it, though. And yeah, /b/ always was super kinky and weird, but that shit isn't even a kink anymore, its mainstream. /b/ was doing shit because it was taboo and THAT was the joke.

>> No.4173726

>>4166741
some amazing games from 1997 to 2002 then after that the games were just not as fun for a couple of years

>> No.4173740

>>4173718
Nope

>> No.4173812

>>4166329
I own a PS2, N64 and GBC. I emulate NES, SNES, GBA, all things Sega (pre-Saturn, fuck emulating that thing) and PS1. I find that I play PS1 the most nowadays, whereas that used to be Sega.

In general, they just don't make 'em like they used to.

>> No.4173996

>Wow, who'da thunk, new games come out every day, just like the shit that comes out of my ass. Your dumbfuck argument is hinged upon one concept: "Out of all this trash, there must be something good!". That's problem, it's a load of fucking trash. You have to dig through a mound of needles to find a single piece of hay. The number of actual good games proportional to the number of worthless indie abortions is unfathomable. The market is saturated with newsgrounds-level feces and retards like you are the main customer. Now shut the fuck up.

Must suck to be so miserable. Shit might come out your ass but you're not fooling anyone about what goes in there. Why not go back to /b/ for some trap if discussing games makes you so upset?

>> No.4174079

>>4173276
>while he and his mom visit her parents
But how often does he visit his father?

>> No.4174842

>>4173996
There are those who like games and those who like nostalgia that happens to center around games. Two very different things.

>> No.4174876

I will say games now are much more enjoyable once you stop paying attention to the "culture"/community that makes everything into a fucking dramatic controversy, and of course the hype culture where you dwell on every single detail that comes out about a game.

Also means you basically don't hear about a game unless it's actually good most of the time.

I bought the new Zelda completely blind after a friend told me "it's pretty good" with no other details and was fucking blown away by it in a way I haven't been since playing Morrowind and realizing how huge and detailed it was at the time. I'm sure there's some "controversy" over on /v/ about it because you're not cool if you don't call everything overrated but I'm glad I don't have to see any of that obnoxious crap.

So what I'm saying is there are games today that build upon the past and surpass it, you just have to ignore the ones that are regressive. There's a YT channel I follow that lists recent games with interesting or innovative mechanics, I'm not gonna mention it to avoid being called a shill but it's introduced me to a lot of great modern games, not just with "old-school mentality" (read: pixel graphics and difficulty) but that genuinely take influence from the past on more than a surface level and aim to surpass it.

>> No.4174905

>>4174876
It's safe to say that if you're so triggered by social progress that you have to avoid any culture that develops around a game, you have bigger problems than just that.

>> No.4174954

>>4174905
It's not "social progress", it's a legion of morons constantly bickering and getting upset over inconsequential horseshit like "guys did you see what this dev said in Twitter!?" and "holy shit this game dev did some kind of business move this is an outrage, BOYCOTT". Everyone has to turn every game into their own moral platform.

It's fucking exhausting and all just distraction from the actual games. Nobody likes anything, and it seems like they play games more to be part of a conversation than playing as an end unto itself.

I guess if you enjoy that, you're welcome to, but I got fed up with how little I was enjoying games in my mid 20's and recently started loving them again now that I only pay attention to good things.

>> No.4174967

>>4174954
>you have bigger problems than just that
Looks like I was right on the money. Good luck with your aneurysm.

>> No.4174969

>>4174905

Funnily enough his post made no mention to "social progress" or social justice issues surrounding video games, simply the culture of hype and contrarianism that infests "gamer culture"

I too stopped enjoying video games in my mid-twenties basically because I felt exhausted by the news cycle and community reactions, once I removed myself from it everything got better

>> No.4174976
File: 11 KB, 480x360, hqdefault[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4174876
>>4174954
Fucking five star posts. Rational, aloof. Couldn't have said it better myself - agree completely

>> No.4174985

>>4174969
Indeed it didn't, but he didn't have to spell it out so obviously. I guessed and was correct at where he was going with it.

Many people notice major changes in their mid 20's. We're indoctrinated into this notion that there's three phases, kid, teen, adult. But the changes are always happening and 20's for most people is a time of many.

>> No.4174991

>>4174976
lol there's a shocker.

>> No.4175008

>>4174991
No, I think we're actually getting somewhere here. It's the (prevalent) culture surrounding modern gaming that's the real problem with modern gaming. That particular type of culture didn't have an unignorable global voice in the /vr/ era, we just had the commercial culture instead plus our local community. There are still the equivalent of local communities to be found with a little effort but it's easier to just become jaded and that's the /v/ influence that is trying to saturate /vr/ now. We just need to stay centered and remember that retro games are a completely separate thing. It's objectively unreasonable to judge them by modern standards and that's what makes them so great.

>> No.4175039
File: 47 KB, 400x302, rabip9weo1_400.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4175008
In a way you're right. I disagree with you in that I don't have a problem with those communities. I both find them less obnoxious in general, and I care much less about communities I do find obnoxious or silly. But even though I don't feel that way, I get that you and some others do and that it affects your enjoyment of games.

I will say this, the internet age is distinctly different from the pre-internet age, and the change came about extremely quickly as these things go. It's still in the process of course, but it's speed is remarkable.

So if you want to use the "retro" moniker to apply to games from before the big shift (mid 00's, iPhone) as a different category then what you're saying makes sense. It's not just games though, it's literally everything.

This is a time of great change we're entering but it will be glorious. after the global civil war is overno not a joke

>> No.4175176
File: 56 KB, 780x364, The+evolution+of+games+journalism+obviously+not+oc+all+credit_229660_5371731[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4175039
It doesn't really effect my enjoyment of the games, I'm mature enough to look past it but I like to try to understand it. I suppose I remember rabid anti-commercial gamers even back in the day but everything really is just so much more organized now, polarizing. There's a strong feeling that we need to be aware of every damn thing and be completely furrit or aginnit. Things without remedy should be without regard.

>> No.4175221

>>4175176
This is a really bad and inaccurate caricature of 90s game journalism. It was often much more critical and honest than what came out in the 00s. Game journalism as apologetics was perfected in the 00s decade.

>> No.4175239

>>4175176
It's a new era.

>> No.4175301

Where the fuck is the janitor?

>> No.4175336

>>4175221
It makes the comic funny.

>> No.4175379

>>4175221
They're all bad and inaccurate caricatures. That's the joke.

>> No.4176856

>>4175176
>There's a strong feeling that we need to be aware of every damn thing and be completely furrit or aginnit

You say this like it's a bad thing.

>> No.4176901

>>4176856
It's impossible to know about everything and its a fallacy to believe that everything is black and white, good or bad, zero or 100. Most young people today go through life in a state of confusion focused on things that don't even effect them.

>> No.4176908

>>4175379
>>4175221
No that's basically what gamepro and stuff was. Sorry kiddos.

>> No.4176913

>>4176908
I guess maybe it was true for American magazines

>> No.4176926

>>4176901
>It's impossible to know about everything
Not a reason not to try and know all you can

>and its a fallacy to believe that everything is black and white, good or bad, zero or 100.

Of course, I would never imply that.

>Most young people today go through life in a state of confusion focused on things that don't even effect them.

Everything affects everything.

>> No.4177476

>>4176926
Surely you won't argue that most young people's priorities are whack as fuck

>> No.4177536

>>4177476
Ohh not at all, but there's nothing new about young people being like that.

>> No.4178267

>>4166329
Games back then had to be new so devs had to come up with something special every time. Now it's just copy what's popular and hope genre fatigue hasn't set in by the time it's ready to ship. So ps ship early and unfinished

>> No.4178589

>>4166410
>>4166414
>publishers in prticular are less willing to take risks on new ideas.

the sad part is that part of the reason for this is when publishers do try to take risks on new ideas it rarely pays off

>> No.4178749

>>4178589
Both those things are untrue.

>> No.4178771

>>4178749
Mainly because games don't need publishers any more so it doesn't much matter what they think. All you need is for your game's alpha to ge slightly viral and Gabe will greenlight that shit in a wink.

>> No.4178784

>>4178749
some of the more recent games to come out say otherwise

hell, i can even give you examples outside of vidya too

>> No.4178865

>>4178784
The thing is that with the low overhead of digital distribution there's much less investment by "publishers" and with all the game engines and development tools a lot of the most innovative games are developed by small teams or even lone individuals mainly as a hobby or labor of love. These kind of games don't need to be million-sellers to "pay off".

These days, an innovative game that might revolve around a single fresh mechanic can go viral and make its developer tens of thousands of dollars without even really surfacing in the mainstream but you can bet the big studios make a note of these kind of games and consider those gameplay elements when developing new games. Look at the way Day Z developed for example. None of the games were super "successful" but they made a big impact on a whole subgenre of open world survival games to come after, all based on a mod for Arma 2.

>> No.4178872

>>4178784
>some

It's all opinion anyways. I'm not shocked there are those out there disgusted by everything and thinking it's all going to hell in a hand basket. It's just comical to me is all.

>> No.4179086

Thats easy. In the 90s the focus was on fun, gameplay and innovation.
Now the industries focus is on exploitation and profit maximizing.

The mistake was to let the greedy corporations take over. Also enjoy your unfinished games, your daily gigabyte size patches, and games that you dont physically own any longer.

If this trend continues in ten years from now sony and microsoft will send little photo realistic midgets to your place that kick you in the balls and take your wallet once you open the door. Enjoy!

>> No.4179165

>>4173343
>I wonder how long it will be before this faggot can't handle the heat of everyone constantly shitting on him and he'll either go full-anon or give up and buy a rope.
Must be new around here. Babbage has a very clear routine. Once enough arguments are made against him, he goes anon and starts samefagging for himself. Find any thread with him and you're guaranteed to see posts like
>i like babbage, he's better than the other tripfags
>babbage has been around longer than u!
>there's nothing wrong with trips, they're part of 4chan culture!
from "anons." These are all babbage.

>> No.4179193 [DELETED] 

>>4179165
>Babbage

Is that a person that posts here?

>> No.4179223

>>4179165
Keep telling yourself that. The only time I post anonymously on /vr/ is if I've been posting on another board and I forget to trip up. If I was going to meta-post as an anon I'd start a "worst tripfags ever" thread and act like I'm some idiot like you but even dumber and make all kinds of idiotic baseless accusations about myself because that's how trips REALLY get elevated, you just fail to understand the meta of 4chan and I'm not out to create some kind of quasi-celebrity regardless of what you might think but something tells me you're used to being wrong and have a whole delusional rationale.

Your insistence that all the anons who are cool with me couldn't possibly exist only makes me appreciate them more.

>> No.4179252

>>4179223
>legit cuckold, steam user and a fan of No Man's Sky.
It's already is a worst tripfag ever thread.

>> No.4179282

>>4179223
I wonder which is true, because I personally remember you saying that you throw on the trip for special times. Maybe you've changed policy in the last few months? Anyways, not them. I don't care about tripping either way. 4chan's always fun.

>> No.4179547

>>4178267
Bullshit. There were endless Pong clones, Asteroids clones, Pac-Man clones, Mario clones, Street Fighter 2 clones, Double Dragon clones, Mortal Kombat clones, Mario 64 clones, Mario Kart clones, Doom clones, Quake clones, Halo clones, Medal of Honor clones, I can fucking go on and on and on.

But guess what, most of those are forgotten, and we only remember the original ones, and it'll be the exact same with the Call of Duty clones, Uncharted clones, Rust clones, zombie games, and so on that we have now.

Anything that's popular is going to get copied a thousand times until something else original hits it big and becomes the hot new thing to copy. This isn't just games but literally the entire consumer product world.

>> No.4179768

>>4179547
>Anything that's popular is going to get copied a thousand times until something else original hits it big and becomes the hot new thing to copy

Sad but true. Gaming is dead. Was it ever even alive?

>> No.4179978

>>4179282
To begin with if I wanted to just make a joke that was completely off-topic I'd take the trip off but I've got myself disciplined to work the joke into the topic

>>4179252
I don't think you know what a cuckold is or you have me confused with someone else. I really don't have the time to get into the groove of No Man's Sky but it really is a neat game. Ten years ago I might have been all about it or I might have gotten weary if it continued to be so samey. It's hard to say because I've only put 20 hours or so in and I probably won't put in many more. Dark Souls 3 is definitely my current game.

>> No.4180742

>>4179978
Cuck is definitely the funniest of all the alt right insults. It's so old timey.

>> No.4180762

>>4180742
I'm really quite a right-winger though, married a good little church girl who never had her heart broken.

>> No.4180774

>>4180762
Ohh I know, but once they get a new term they think is dank, they throw it everywhere. That's why it's funny to me.

>> No.4181035
File: 1.71 MB, 1421x1009, DaleTheTrumpcuckGribble.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>4180742
The alt-left also used cuck as an insult, I think they were the first to use it actually. It was used to piss off racist white men. But the alt-left were being racist themselves, simply for the fact that they used a black baby in one of their memes, as to make the white guy feel bad for being in a relationship with a white woman who had a black baby in a previous relationship. Hence the whole "my wife's son" insult.

See the attached pic to know what I'm talking about.

>> No.4181152

>>4181035
you saying all the cuck jokes here about black babies are lib tards?

>> No.4181243

>>4166339
kek, this. Used to be a pretty good board back when it was christened, but now it's almost as bad as /v/.

>> No.4181309

>>4181035
> I think they were the first to use it actually

source on that?

>> No.4181319

>>4181309
Turns out Shakespeare was alt-left. Who knew?

>> No.4181378

>>4181319
tfw Hitler was legit alt-left

>> No.4181776

>>4181152
Yup.

>>4181309
I don't really have a source, but I started noticing libtards on message boards using cuck as an insult as early as 2014. It was the only non-sexist, non-racist, non-homophobic insult they could conjure up.

>> No.4182149

>>4172728
>the majority of Switch users don't use the online functions at all
I can easily see why, I played online all the time on my Wii U when I wasn't using it as an emulation box and I refuse to get a Switch at all specifically because they're going to charge a subscription to go online. I'm certainly not the only one in this boat. I imagine a lot of people who bought a Switch don't care about online features so it didn't turn them away.

>> No.4182162
File: 2.53 MB, 1280x720, hi there!.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Too many posts for me to link so this is just sent at the thread in general

>> No.4182924

>>4181035
>>4181776
Wouldn't surprise me, there are extremists on both ends and they're all stupid. Around here though I've only seen it used by righties.

>>4181319
Shakespeare: the original commie scum!

>> No.4183368

>>4178865
>>4178771
>Look at the way Day Z developed for example. None of the games were super "successful" but they made a big impact on a whole subgenre of open world survival games to come after, all based on a mod for Arma 2.

day Z and most of the mods/games inspired by it are kind of bad example since development on them usually falls apart and they never leave early access as a result.

>Mainly because games don't need publishers any more so it doesn't much matter what they think. All you need is for your game's alpha to ge slightly viral and Gabe will greenlight that shit in a wink.

and in theory that's a good thing.

but it's naive to think that having a corporate suit in charge is always the root of you're problems when history has shown us both (in & out of vidya) that having full control with no oversight isn't always a good thing that.