[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 54 KB, 256x351, 98AB7F92-2AD0-4FF4-AE2A-ECC5E7DEEBA1-1916-0000012BAB4C344F.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
4114146 No.4114146 [Reply] [Original]

I really don't know where else to ask this. I'm playing Final Fantasy on the NES and can't find any information anywhere about enemy formations. Do my attacks have a higher percent chance of hitting an enemy based on where the enemies are located in their formation.
In addition, are there any tips on ensuring that I don't get myself into an unwinnable scenario? I'm using a Fighter, Black Belt, B. Mage and W. Mage.
Also, I guess a Final Fantasy thread would be alright since there isn't one.

>> No.4114161

>>4114146
Restart with 4 Fighters.
Magic is glitched. Half the spells don't work at all and the damage spells don't scale with your stats making them weaker than normal attacks.

>> No.4114162

Enemy rows weren't a thing until FFV, I think.

Also no team with a fighter is going to be unwinnable

>> No.4114186

>>4114161
Surely I'll be able to succeed without that kind of build? I'm not that far but don't feel like resetting

>> No.4114212

>>4114186
you can succeed no problem, the game isn't that hard
besides, four fighters would eat through your provisions like they're nothing
enemy formations don't matter
I assume you already know this, but if you attack the same enemy with all your characters and the first character kills it, the other three characters will hit the empty space where the monster used to be

>> No.4114215

>>4114161
Having more than one of me same class is boring, unless it's a challenge run.
>>4114146
If you really want to, there's some patches that fix all bugs, as well as ones that completely rebalance the game.

>> No.4114218

>>4114161
Magic is glitched to hell but warp/exit are good enough that you still want a mage. If I remember right the "meta" team was something like two fighters, one red mage, and one black mage.

>> No.4114776

OP here, thanks to everyone who replied

>> No.4115238

>>4114162
I think they go back to FF2, actually. But not just a front and back row but rather a 'front row' and 'these 9 guys will basically dodge everything and take less damage until you clobber the 1 guy up front'.

>> No.4115241

>>4114146
Pretty good party, remember to leave the BB naked, no weapon. Also reverse the order of your White and Black mages. The BM dies easily so you want him to get hit even less than your WM.

Ignore any and all posts about bugfix patches, you're playing the game as god intended, so to speak. Bugs are a part of the game, revel in it's brokenness.

>> No.4115249

>>4115238
2 definitely had rows for both your team and enemies
units beyond the second row couldn't use their physical attacks or be targeted by your physical attacks

>> No.4115838

>>4114186

You're fine. Absolutely any party can win, although for some parties it is perhaps necessary to exploit mechanics that a new player might not know about. Your party is not an especially difficult one to use; you should be okay.

And yeah don't worry about patches or bugs. I mean you can use a bugfix patch if you want but the game works fine without it. The importance of the bugs is overrated. The spells that get nullified by them aren't hugely interesting anyway, and the ones that are weakened by them are still strong enough to use. It's easy to play through the whole game without ever noticing any bugs. And this is a JRPG so it's not like it had some highly refined balance that got ruined by the bugs. It's crudely balanced with or without them; you can generally find simple, overpowered strategies in any JRPG.

>> No.4115931

>>4114186
>>4114186
You can win with any party. Your party of Fighter/BB/B. Mage/W. Mage is completely standard and is what a lot of people first start out with.

Also don't worry too much about the magic. The guys saying "half the spells don't work" and making magic out to be useless are blowing it out of proportion. Yes, there are indeed some spells that don't really do anything, but all the healing and elemental damaging spells are completely fine and function.

If you're playing with a ROM, you can even get all that shit fixed by using a ROM hack like Final Fantasy Restored: http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1631/

>> No.4117001

>>4114146
You can target any enemy from any square, but if you're playing on the NES version, do not stack all of your attacks on the same person. If your first character kills the monster you all focus on, the other three characters will waste their turns attacking the thin air.

FF1 is an easy enough game that you can beat the game using any combo of characters. You could beat it with one White Mage if you desired. When in doubt, grind that gold/xp and upgrade everything as best you can. Some spells are bad and bugged, but some are really good.

My only tip is to unequip the numchucks once your black belt hits level 10.

>> No.4117613

I beat the game with Fighter, Black Belt, Black Mage and White Mage. Just keep fighting on as later the game gets easy with the class upgrade. At level 10+ its a good idea to leave the Black Belt barehanded as it will deal more damage that way and don't ever equip Masamune on it since its glitched.

>> No.4118505

>>4115241
>remember to leave the BB naked, no weapon

After level 8 or so, I believe. Hard to remember because it's been a while. Can also glitch armor late game to get both natural unequipped stats and still have the bonuses from something like a Ribbon.