[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 54 KB, 256x351, FF1_USA_boxart.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3299082 No.3299082 [Reply] [Original]

I decided to give this game a shot since I like the series and wanted to enjoy it's roots. I have no issue with old style JRPGs because I love Dragon Quest even more and I can forgive the crappy magic system. However there's something really bugging me about this game and it's the script, the NPCs are incredibly void of interesting dialogue and the story is poorly stitched together. Many NPCs share dialogue too. Is this a result of poor localization or was the original famicom version just as bland? You can't say it's because of the times because Dragon Quest/Warrior had much better NPC dialogue/story with more care put into it. Every NPC has something different to say.
So what made this game popular enough to save Square?

>> No.3299291

> So what made this game popular enough to save Square?

Maybe there weren't enough rpgs in the time.

>> No.3299354

RPG's were getting big in Japan and also it added in mechanics that other RPG's had that other RPG's in Japan lacked, like items that could cast their own spells, and enemy weaknesses and resistances.

>> No.3299458

>>3299082
>So what made this game popular enough to save Square?
Good gameplay(for its time).

FF was years ahead of DQ in terms of gameplay and design.

>> No.3299747

Could be bad writing, but it could just as well be space constraints with the ROM. Higher-capacity ROMs were more expensive, and developers wanted to cut costs in whatever way they could.

I guess it's worth noting that later versions of the game expand on character dialogs a bit. The dancer in Cornelia actually shares some brief lore about the game world as you progress through the story.