[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 116 KB, 256x244, Chronocrossbox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3032263 No.3032263 [Reply] [Original]

What is your opinion on Chrono Cross?

>> No.3032291

great setting
incredible soundtrack
run of the mill jrpg gameplay
nonsensical story

>> No.3032316

>>3032263
It's a fucking joke.

>> No.3032321

>>3032263
not playing it around the release = stop

>> No.3032392

I love the game, but i'll admit that I only have a high opinion of it due to nostalgia. It's not without problems and honestly I'd have a hard time naming it as a "must-play" jrpg. There are simply better offerings to be had on the Playstation.

>> No.3032393
File: 35 KB, 260x650, Janice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I liked the battle system, it wasn't complicated at all.

I liked the characters. I liked how there were many of them and most of them were NOT developed with the depth of actual main characters.

I liked meeting a nobody with just a handful of back story and you recruited them for little reason beyond hey, I'm just a pile of bones you found or I'm a little alien, want to adventure together?

I liked being able to play as the bad guy, having the bad guy posse as your party members.

I liked being able to swap a nobody for another nobody because their character was interesting, or their weapon was goofy, or their tech skills were cool.

I liked how my party wasn't just a bunch of main story characters, feeling like I'm locked to the main linear plot and being dictated how my adventure unfolds. I can adventure and do things with a bunny girl trainer who I met at some monster battle royale thing.

Who gives a fuck if they're not integral to the main plot? That's only an expectation set by the Chrono Trigger. Good thing this isn't Trigger 2. Same fucking babies who cry that Symphony of the Night "didn't feel right." Yes the plot is a bit trash, but I accept it for what it is, a somewhat similar feeling with MGS2. It's a flaw, but not a shit game.

>> No.3032431

>>3032263
Neat battle system, semi interesting story, great music and setting. Never liked Trigger though.

>> No.3032438

>>3032263
Never finished it.

Got bored after like the 4th Dragon or something. There was just nothing there. I literally forgot why I was killing Dragons.

I could probably go back and beat it and probably enjoy it, but I don't think it's worth the time or effort.

>> No.3032439
File: 21 KB, 150x424, Cc-norris.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3032393
Everything this guy said.

Also Norris is awesome.

>> No.3032446

>>3032438
>I literally forgot why I was killing Dragons.
If you weren't paying attention enough the first time to even remember what you were doing as you were doing it I doubt you would enjoy a second try either.

>> No.3032449

>>3032263
Our opinion is it's shit compared to its predecessor.

http://poal.me/t566xf

>> No.3032464

>>3032446
I played it when I was like 13 or some shit when it was first released dude, just relax. Not everyone has to like your favorite fucking game.

>> No.3032472

>>3032464
Calm down there buddy, it's far from my favorite game. Just agreeing that it doesn't sound like it would be worth your time.

>> No.3032474

I really enjoyed it, I think everyone was expecting a Chrono Trigger sequel but got a Radical Dreamers sequel instead so it gets a lot of hate

>> No.3032483

One of the best JRPGs out there. Greatest video game soundtrack of all-time. Story sort of falls apart in the third act, but the gameplay is quite solid.

>> No.3032484

>>3032263
Better gameplay than its predecessor by far, but still pretty boring and cookie cutter.

Orgasmic soundtrack.

Interesting designs with some up and downs but overall amazingly well done scenario and quirky characters. Really good when it comes to references, one of the few games with actually well done references to painters integrated into gameplay.

So-so story, like the vast majority of videogames, but at least parallel dimensions make more sense than time travelling.

Stunning graphics for the time.

Fargo.
>>3032449
>Our opinion
Fuck off kid, this isn't some sort of hivemind.

>> No.3032487

The story is a clusterfuck, the writing is hindered by the outrageously large cast of characters who exist across multiple dimensions, and the world is wildly inconsistent with all the random and shoehorned cultural references that simply don't match the game's setting at all. Among the characters you can recruit are a cyborg, a homicidal loli, (two?) clowns, a fungus-man, a sentient voodoo doll and a talking dog.

Forgoing any suspension of disbelief, I nonetheless enjoyed the game. I can sort of overlook the issues with the writing and translation quality because the setting was such a massive undertaking, but I wish the game had allowed a little more room for customization. Equipment upgrades are largely linear, with weapons and armor having no real benefit other than increasing your attack or defense power. You find a more powerful alloy, you forge a new weapon with it, and your attack power goes up. That's it. Serge's swords don't possess any unique properties to distinguish them from, say, Leena's frying pans. (Yes, that's her weapon of choice)

>> No.3032493

>>3032487
.Among the characters you can recruit are a cyborg, a homicidal loli, (two?) clowns, a fungus-man, a sentient voodoo doll and a talking dog.
Don't forget the luchador priest and the alien

>> No.3032497

>>3032263
Terrible terrible game that looks decent for its age and has an amazing soundtrack. The story is like someone wrote a shitty, edgy fanfic sequel to Chrono Trigger and made it canon, the gameplay is far more broken than CT's was and isn't much harder than CT in any event, and the huge cast prevents any characters except for Serge and Kid from getting development.

>> No.3032498
File: 18 KB, 154x154, smug_goku.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3032484
>Fuck off kid
triggered crosshitter spotted

>> No.3032502

I liked it.

Don't get why people can't get the story. It was explained in a scattershot way, but it's up to the player to piece it together anyway.
Dunno. Maybe anons just want to feel accepted.

>> No.3032504

>>3032487
>the world is wildly inconsistent with all the random and shoehorned cultural references that simply don't match the game's setting at all

How do they not fit the game's setting when that is the game's setting?

> Among the characters you can recruit are a cyborg, a homicidal loli, (two?) clowns, a fungus-man, a sentient voodoo doll and a talking dog.

This is one of the reasons I like it though.

>> No.3032513

>>3032502
>Dunno. Maybe anons just want to feel accepted.
Pretty much, it doesn't help that Trigger drones can't help but vehemently shit on the game each time it's mentioned.
>>3032504
>This is one of the reasons I like it though.
Same here, the huge and varied cast is really appealing to me too, a shame they're not so different from one another from a gameplay point of view.

>> No.3032516

>>3032504
>How do they not fit the game's setting when that is the game's setting?

The game's setting takes place on a large island. I expect to see a consistent culture and aesthetic that more closely matches Arni village and its inhabitants, not wander just a few kilometers from Arni and find cyborgs and French clowns.

>> No.3032524

>>3032516
>>3032516
But it's a crazy fantasy world, that's it's thing. You also go through dimensional rifts and crap. A weird varied culture is one of the least strange things about the game. But then I think the whole thing is pretty silly and didn't take any of it very seriously.

>>3032513
I definitely would have liked more gameplay variation, but I like the game well enough for what it is. At least they let me party with the luchadore and the turnip.

>> No.3032530
File: 246 KB, 576x432, 1314386490429.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3032291
>run of the mill jrpg gameplay

>> No.3032535
File: 21 KB, 400x303, Happy Vince.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3032524
>At least they let me party with the luchadore and the turnip.

Finally someone who appreciates Greco!

>> No.3032536
File: 72 KB, 271x321, 3567.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Best girl forever

>> No.3032537

>>3032513
>a shame they're not so different from one another from a gameplay point of view.
The problem is that the characters who ARE different enough from other party members are either hideously broken until the absolute endgame(Sprigg) or are mediocre at best and weighed down by a horrible bug(Pip).

>> No.3033152

>>3032263
Looks great
Impressive soundtrack
Pretty fun battle system
The stories a joke
Terrible cast

Overall it's a pretty solid JRPG and one of the better ones on the PS1 but it missed the mark in a few important places.

>> No.3033163

>>3032502
The stories not hard to understand.
It's just not very good or well told.

>> No.3033169

>>3032502
>but it's up to the player to piece it together anyway.

What's there to piece together? You go through the dungeons and fight the bosses and then right before the final boss an NPC comes up to you and literally tells you the entire plot because they couldn't bother to actually put it into the game you just played.

>> No.3033175

>>3033169
Chrono Cross felt like it was way more concerned with fleshing out and tying up its subplots than actually focusing on the main storyline.
You learn a hell of a lot about the demi-humans and their plight with Fargo and Nikki's story and the fairy/dwarves conflict. It goes pretty far into the story of the dragons and the dragonian culture. Miguel, the Dragoons and Glenn get pretty extensive backstories that come up a bunch of times throughout the game despite not really playing a major role in the long run.

Then when it comes to the Chronopolis, Lynx, Fate and Schala stuff everything feels so tacked on at the end and rushed that it's like the games missing an entire disc worth of content and they had to make up for it with an exposition dump.

The whole thing comes off as really disjointed because of it and I constantly lost track of why anyone except Kid was even on this adventure.

>> No.3033192

>>3032263
>neat spell and field system
>tons of characters
>nothing to with Chrono Trigger until the end in an hour long plot dump