[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 45 KB, 500x375, chronotrigger-snes.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2705584 No.2705584 [Reply] [Original]

Never played CT before. Got through the whole game and all the side quests in about 15 hours.

How come nobody ever mentions how short this game is?

>> No.2705587

ProJared did irritatingsmileyfacewithnose

>> No.2705590

>>2705584
it's not, at least not on your first run. You're either an rpg playing god, a liar, or you didn't take time to enjoy anything whatsoever.

>> No.2705635

>>2705590
Yeah. I can't imagine me just running through Zeal without stopping just to listen to Corridors of Time.

>> No.2705639

The game was built to be replayed. With a dozen or so endings and a number of branching paths, beating it the first time is just step one.

>> No.2706554

>>2705584
in 15 hours? on your first time? Somehow I doubt that. but it's about the same length as any of the other games Square made then, ff4 or 5 are also about 20ish hours.

>> No.2706561

>>2705584
The game's pretty short yeah, doesn't help that the supposed branching paths are literally beating certain optional boss checkpoints through the story instead of actually making a different path like other non linear JRPGs.
Also, you won't see that mentioned because of Trigger fanboys.

>> No.2706982
File: 197 KB, 600x541, 1442637670.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2706561
>Not branching paths
>In a game where you get alternate endings because you altered the timeline
Was Back to the Future 2 too hard for you to understand?

>> No.2706989

>>2705584
Because high replayability.

Unlike lots of long turds, CT is a game you replay.

>> No.2707002

Note that the SNES version has been censored by Nintendo. Dialogs have been altered.

>> No.2707003

>>2706982
Not as hard for you to understand what a game with branching paths is.

Tactics Ogre has branching paths that are each a self contained arc different from each other and leads to a similar uniform ending albeit with a few differences and endings, games like Langrisser or Growlanser have even more branches that lead to different stories and plots and endings.

Chrono Trigger follow a 1 to 9 straight path and you can choose to end the game at any point from 1 to 9 by beating Lavos, the game progresses exactly in the same way each time, the only choice to be made is ending the game on any point and that leads to a simple finale, most of which are comedic. There's no choice to be made other than that, I can't choose to alter the timeline and progress through different stories, I can only choose to end the game sooner than point 9, whereas other games have path A, Path B etc., Chrono Trigger doesn't have any of that.

>> No.2707010

>>2705639
>>2706561

I second what >>2707003 said. CT has no real branching paths. It has optional sidequests near the end, and out of its endings, only like three of them (INCLUDING the main one that you will probably get during your first playthrough) have any significant content. The rest are short comedic extras at best and slightly altered credits at worst. Your only choice on CT, which is usually only unlocked on NG+, is how soon you'll beat it.

I love the game to death, but this idea of it being a branching path RPG with tons of amazing endings needs to die, because it's an outright lie. I can't count the times people playing blind ask "will I get the best ending on my first playthrough?" when you can only get ONE if you follow the story.

>> No.2707026

Because thou shalt not antagonize Trigger. Not only is it short, NG+ is also total trash because it makes an already piss-easy game even easier. The multiple endings are a joke; you don't work towards them, they just happen when you decide you had enough of the game and go fight the final boss, who is readily available from the start. So what you actually do to see all those TWELVE DIFFERENT ENDINGS!!!!!11 is just stop playing at different intervals, reload your save, and continue on a bit. Rinse, repeat. There is absolutely no reason to play this more than twice. Heck, there's really no reason to play this more than once, just watch the endings on youtube. They aren't exactly grand.

To add insult to the injury, thanks to the fixed encounters of the game, you won't even see a difference in that regard.

>> No.2707035

>>2707003
>>2707010
>>2707026
Oh look, the youtubers have turned to trashing classic games for attention.

>> No.2707037

>>2707035
>muh nostalgia

Trigger is nothing but a straight line with multiple exits along the way.

>> No.2707041

>>2707035
>anonymous opinions
>for attention
okay.

Also nice arguments you got there, mate.

>>2707026
>TWELVE DIFFERENT ENDINGS!!!!!11
Ah, don't forget people who count every little "Magus/no Magus" variation and the game over cutscene as endings to make it sound even more impressive, and even the tiny little event you get if you lose to Magus as its own ending. Though the game over cutscene was pretty cool.

>> No.2707142

>>2707035
Just grow the fuck up already.

You're the reason people who like Trigger are called Triggerniggers, fucking nobody can even point out that X is actually Y without you getting all buttflustered on your little game even when it's neither a judgement nor an insult, it's a fucking objective fact.

You know what? There's much more glaring problems with Trigger than it being a corridor with multiple exit, I don't even mind the structure of the game, at least it gives you a vague illusion of choice compared to FF or DQ.

You're the reason /vr/ is rapidly declining in quality with your pointless shitposting.

>> No.2707790

>>2705584
What are there 20 endings? No way you got them all in 15 hours.

>> No.2709018

>>2706561
Yeah, I was immensely disappointed by this bullshit. I was told that it was this super non-linear game from the get go and you had the freedom to approach it how you want and decide at what point you want to finish the game blah blah blah.

The last part is technically true, but the only way to actually pull that off would be to mindlessly and excessively grind while otherwise playing through as you normally would, which is utterly pointless, as all the extras only become viable on reaching the end game, upon which things are still straightforward as hell.

>> No.2709020

>>2705584
>How come nobody ever mentions how short this game is?
How is that at all relevant?

>> No.2709029

>>2709020
Because the biggest thing the game really has going for is its music.

The gameplay, game structure and writing are all overrated as hell, the experience mostly coasts on its exceptional for the console atmosphere.

>> No.2709045 [DELETED] 
File: 1.65 MB, 480x481, 1428915853055.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

NO SHUT UP YOU FAGGOTS CHRONO TRIGGER IS LITERALLY OBJECTIVELY THE BEST MOST GAME EVER MADE STOP HATING ON IT YOU PLEBS REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.2709054

>>2709029
That's cool, friend.

>> No.2709067

>>2707026
>So what you actually do to see all those TWELVE DIFFERENT ENDINGS!!!!!11 is just stop playing at different intervals, reload your save, and continue on a bit. Rinse, repeat. There is absolutely no reason to play this more than twice.

This bit in particular really bugs me. I hear people say so often that you have to play through 12 times to get all the endings, but it took no effort to reload the save and play to the next interval.

I did do one more New Game+ for the Dev Room Ending you get for beating Lavos with Crono and Marle, but I probably could have managed that on the 2nd cycle.

>> No.2710705

So we can all agree that CT isn't the second coming of the messiah it's made out to be? Trolls and shitposters need not apply.

>> No.2710710

I don't think chrono trigger is a perfect game sent down to us by the nephilim. but I think it's an excellent game and one of the best things on the SNES alongside link to the past.

>> No.2710717

A great game that has a lot of replayability because of NG+ and being inherently easy. Its short and very focused in the narrative, which makes it feel like you accomplished a lot without a huge time investment. I beat it recently from NG at just over 12 hours doing every single optional endgame quest including the black omen and some grinding for megaelixers and power tabs. Thats shorter then every FF and its great.

I think its easily one of the best "casual" jrpgs. Its short and sweet, and its simple with just enough random battles and bosses to keep you invested and interesting. Obviously its also one of the better looking SNES games and the lack of loading screens between battles is really good..

>> No.2710718

Yep, CT is missing the whole random encounter filler.

Why is this a problem?

JRPG fanbase is fucked in the head for demanding 90 hours of load screens, button mashing and victory fanfares.

>> No.2710721

>>2710710

to add to this, I think the only problem with CT is that it doesn't have a hardmode. that would've given it even more replayability. (although romhackers have stepped in with hardmodes and the level 0 patch)

>> No.2710723

I enjoyed CT, it was good all around.
I've never felt like playing it again though, unlike some other great RPG's, and because of that it wouldn't even make it on a Top 10 for me.
Speaking of great RPG's I want to play through again, I think it's time to give Lufia 2 another go. Now that Is one excellent fucking game, especially the music, shame it's not talked about much.

>> No.2710726
File: 40 KB, 885x902, 1410012016026.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't bother. CT sucks ass.

>> No.2710742

>>2710718
Don't forget battles being interrupted due to characters trading banter about shit you couldn't care less about or how to beat a boss you could have easily figured out on your own.

>> No.2710743

>>2710721
Low level runs are the hard mode of jayperguers. But you kinda need to play along with a community to make it work properly.

>> No.2710821
File: 116 KB, 256x244, Chronocrossbox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Superior title reporting in

>> No.2710863

>>2705584
Maybe it was short time-wise, but it didn't felt like being short.

It has excellent lenght. It is not dragged out, but does not have a sudden, unexpected ending either. It stays motivational till the very end – and this is the factor which should matter if we talk about quality game time.

Also consider what this anon says: >>2710718
Chrono Trigger not only does not have any random encounters, but there is no single part where you have to grind. By simply killing all the things which gets in your way, you can beat the final boss. You don't have to make extra runs in some palaces or forests to get some extra items or XP or whatever.

CT also misses the "restart" factor which is in many JRPGs. I don't know the word for it, but I know you are familiar with the feeling. When something big happens, all your characters are scattered around the globe, you have to regroup, but meanwhile half of the group had amnesia and so on. I know you lose Chrono at one point, but it's really near to the end and you can go straight to the final palace from there.

So CT may be straight forward or short, but this simplicity is what makes it a good and memorable gem.

>>2705635
My negro.

>> No.2710870

>>2710863
>but there is no single part where you have to grind. By simply killing all the things which gets in your way, you can beat the final boss.

Just like any decent RPG?

>> No.2710976

>>2710870
>Just like any decent RPG?
That's part of the point. The contrarian faggots shitting on CT prefer other games where grinding is the norm.

>> No.2711103

>>2710976
>The contrarian faggots shitting on CT prefer other games where grinding is the norm.
There are only a handful of JRPG where grinding is the norm, CT isn't any different from your average FF.

I'm afraid you're the contrarian faggot.

>> No.2711253

>>2711103
>I've barely played any games
>My limited viewpoint instills a false and toxic sense of superiority

>> No.2711368

>>2711253
Considering I know enough Japanese to play jap games without problems I really, really doubt you can say that Anon.

But please, do continue with your ego stroking if that makes you feel comfortable enough to post here, don't expect people who actually play games to take you and your shitposting seriously.

I'm still waiting on those loads of games where grinding is mandatory to win.

>> No.2711821

I've been playing this for the first, I'm in a future world and I have a crane puzzle. It's been overall okay, does it get better?

>> No.2711837

>>2711821
I'd say so, that's one of the two weak locations.

>> No.2711864
File: 7 KB, 468x286, i_award_you_no_points_and_may_god_have_mercy_on_your_soul.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2711368
>derp I know Japanese
>I played so many games that I have to ask you to list them for me

>> No.2712052

>>2711864
He's right, though. Most RPG's don't require grinding. Only the people who are too stupid to figure out how to beat the game without grinding think that.

>> No.2712056

>>2711864
great file name

>> No.2712136

>>2705584
>How come nobody ever mentions how short this game is?
Uh, they do. In fact, I've seen a lot of people hold the length up as a positive. The game is about 20 hours long and has little fluff. It's good to play when you want an RPG, but don't want to spend 30-50 hours playing through one.

>> No.2712421

>>2705584
Chrono Trigger is so overrated.

>> No.2712643

>>2711864
Since you didn't even bother answering my question I suppose you truly don't have what it takes to support your claims, a pity.
I suggest you choose your posts more carefully in the future.

>> No.2713051

>>2711103
>claims there are barely any games where grinding is required
>doesn't name any, despite this presumably being a short list
>>2711368
>claims to know Japanese as if it adds legitimacy to post
>now demands to see list of "mountains" of games with grinding required, even though other poster only commented on preference as opposed to pervasiveness of grindy games
>>2712643
>assumes other poster's refusal to reward clumsy "debating" with serious attention as concession
>declare self "winner" by default

Dude, I'm not that other guy, but you missed the point about preference. All you have to do is read the other games mentioned in this thread to determine whether he's right or wrong. Your arguments don't fit the context, and your attitude makes you look like a raging ass who can't stand anyone disagreeing with him, even though that guy's first post wasn't even personally directed at you.

>> No.2713170

>>2713051
>doesn't name any, despite this presumably being a short list
Games where grinding is absolutely required to win?
Maybe, just maybe the first three DQ, garbage like Emerald Dragon, Sorcerer's Kingdom or Surging Aura, to a certain degree Sorcerian, Phantasy Star 2 and Arcana are the first that comes to mind and I'm not even sure whether it's true as I've not experimented enough with them to support my claim, but you'll excuse me if I don't want to lose any more time with forgotten games with glaring design problem and terribly shallow mechanics, music and graphics.
You could argue other games like Dark Law, Laplace no Ma or Dragon's View require grinding but given the hybrid nature of those games, being either Action or Dungeon Crawler hybrids makes it difficult to say whether it's really grinding since you're effectively taking quests instead of fighting gratuitously for the mere purpose of EXP or Item grinding.
>Your arguments don't fit the context
They do fit perfectly, and anyone with a bit of knowledge of the genre would know what I'm talking about.
> and your attitude makes you look like a raging ass
I wonder about that, after all I'm not the one who claimed that other people who disagree with me barely played any games after being pointed out that my arguments don't really stand.

But again, it's easy to give in to misconceptions and common places, just like the vast majority of people claim that RPGs don't take any skill.
I just don't like people who talk about things they don't know and keep spreading false statements for the sake of defending their favorite childhood game.
Not to mention that this whole think about grinding being necessary to win games is a cancer mentality that's born with the internet and the easy availability of guides and FAQs who completely disrupted the balance of most RPGs by giving out streamlined informations on what to do and where to go at any given time, but that's another argument entirely.

>> No.2713180

>>2707003
Well in Chrono Cross, the player visits different timelines, right? Like the timeline where the world is ruled by reptites? So in Cross, the multiple endings actually have a canon purpose.

>> No.2713182

I highly doubt you've done all the sidequests

>> No.2713392

>>2705584
did you get all the endings. can you one hit kill lavos at the end of the game?
yeah your not done.

>> No.2713406

>>2711253
>toxic
>using this meme word as though it adds anything

I agree with you overall but tbhsmhfam

>> No.2713458

How anyone can play this game twice is beyond me. Always the same shitty fixed fights, and you're overpowered as fuck. As if it wasn't boring enough.

>> No.2714090

>>2713458
B-but muh dual techniques

>> No.2714164

>>2713458
>How anyone can play this game twice is beyond me.
Same way you can play any other game more than once.

Besides, use a different party, or try something like a low level challenge.

>> No.2714185

>>2714164
BUT IT'S THE SAME BECAUSE THE GAME IS SO LINEAR
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.2714187

>>2714185
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

>> No.2714250

>le epic nodev thread
Anyone who appreciates game design can see this is a solid game, not flawless, but it does everything well enough. The only thing is many other games are lacking in many depts , so in comparison, Chrono Trigger is "GOAT". It hits above average on many marks and average on others and the end result feels good. Didn't like the 12 paths gimmick though, it really doesn't feel like 12 alt endings. But again, it's not perfect.

>> No.2714252

>>2714185
>>2714187
Embarrassing.

>> No.2714254

>>2711103
>FF
Final Fantasy is honestly terrible

>> No.2714264

>>2714254
All JRPGs are honestly terrible.
>b-b-but muh chrono trigger
The art and OST were excellent, but everything else was mediocre at best.