[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 2.04 MB, 2048x1536, arcade.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2622867 No.2622867 [Reply] [Original]

You have a million dollars to start your own arcade. The sky is almost the limit, but you only have so much room to put the cabinets. The games can be old or new. Which games do you pick?

16 uprights
2 sit downs
2 projectors

>> No.2622873

>no pinballs

Great thread.

>> No.2622895

>>2622873
I'll make an exception for 2 pinball machines, but no other mechanical amusements. I realize some people enjoy these, but I'm sure they break down a lot and most people wont use them.

>> No.2622908

>>2622867
Upright

Ms.Pacman, Tempest, Centipede, Ghouls'n Ghost, Final Fight, Shinobi, TMNT, Arkanoid, Dodonpachi, Mars Matrix, R-Type, Ikaruga, Virtua Fighter 3, Street Fighter II, Soul Calibur

Neo Geo 6 slot
Samurai Shodown 2, Metal Slug 3, ShockTroopers 2, Garou Mark of Wolves, Spin Masters, Sengoku

Sit down

Darius
Daytona

Projection

Tekken 3
Marvel VS Capcom 2

>> No.2623063
File: 85 KB, 342x306, 1405889808440.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>you only have so much room to put the cabinets in

I would buy more room. This is bullshit.

28 random arcade games on my wishlist from highwaygames dot cum equals $70,000. There's no reason why I shouldn't use some of that money to purchase more room.

>> No.2623184
File: 566 KB, 1080x607, Screenshot_2015-04-17-23-29-13-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2622908
Legend of Kage?
King of Fighters?

>> No.2623193

>>2622895
you're delusional.

>> No.2623249
File: 18 KB, 438x428, 1353121552581.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I been wanting to start a barcade

>Same building, but bar and arcade are segregated
>Arcade section has floor of basically just poured concrete which makes things simple, especially for cleanup
>Several fighter arcade cabinets, some sit downs and a dedicated retro section, pinball
>Bar is hardwood, have the normie beers but really advertise state-made craft beers, have small selection of bar foods, essentially popcorn, maybe some kinds of peanuts/nuts, hot food like say chicken wings and such are a FUTURE possibility, but for now only the absolute simplest of stuff
>arcade is 10 dollar all day deal, 10 bucks for a wrist band (or something, i dunno), games are free afterwards
>Organize fighting game tournaments, really make that a thing, use it to drum up business

I don't even drink, but I know an arcade won't do as well as a barcade.

Majority of people won't spend 10 bucks on arcade games in a short time they go to a bar or something, so charging to let them use it as much as they want might make them feel like 10 bucks is a deal, almost nobody would ever spend an actual whole day there.

Also, I don't know how the dads of today are, but I remember my dad taking me many times to the bar as a kid, i'd be bored out of my fucking mind while he yucked it up with his drinking buddies, so i'd always be playing something if there was a game, be it pinball or something else. Keeping the kid occupied for 10 bucks might seem worth it to the adult.

If I do end up adding in hot food, I would want a very limited menu, focus on a small handful of things, like maybe pizza or something. It's a thing you have to balance because you don't want to attract too many "families" because then your place just ends up being a chuck-e-cheese, and thus none of the older folk will want to go. I want a casual atmosphere, I don't want "hip", thus why I am considering no mixed drinks. I will still have a ladies night but they'll get plastered on beer

>> No.2623268

>>2623249
I live in wisconsin, when we doing this?!

>> No.2623276

>>2623249
continuing where I left off, with beer and no mixed drinks, the ladies you'll likely attract are of the more rural kind, I don't know about you faggots, but I live in a small hick town of around 5k people, girls mostly drink beer here. Also, people will drink more beer than liquor as you get drunk slower (thus the saying "liquor is quicker") and spend more time there.

And with the place not being "hip" I won't have to worry about hiring a bouncer except on maybe some big planned event.

One thing is location, which as much as I would love for it to be in my small hometown, that's just too small a customer base, it would have to be out by the freeway, closer to a city with an actual appreciable population. Which sucks because for the hometown because there is an old movie gallery store that would be a perfect fit.

2nd about location is the kind of building, honestly what I had in mind was actually a small warehouse converted for my needs, that takes care of the concrete floor automatically as that is what they almost all use.

I have somewhere in the area of a little over 60k in my own actual cash from my IRA I could pump into this, on top of a loan of w/e I could get, which shouldn't have to be too much since again I already have at least 60k of my own money to use. It's a huge investment risk, but then again all investments are.

>> No.2623280

>>2623268
Heh, hey neighbor, I'm actually in michigan, Midwest represent!

>> No.2623285

>>2623276
also, possibly small short time 5-dollar passes could work as well, that work for like 2 hours? I been putting months of thought into this, and coming up with ideas.

It's hard, because you come up with so many ideas that you love, but then you actually have to look at it from a businessman point of view and realize many of your ideas wouldn't get you revenue in the long run. The idea was originally to be in my own town, but as I said I realized later the customer base is just way too low, even with the adjacent small towns combined for MAYBE 20k people. A lot of businesses don't last long and I believe it's partly because people have too lofty of ideas but they don't stop to think about how economically feasible those ideas are.

And as I talked about families earlier, I know they generate a ton of money for people, thus why they pander to be family friendly places, thus why places like Dave and Busters pop up, which would be my main competition depending on how close I am to one.

Hmmm, maybe at first I'll allow food to be delivered there, I been to a few foodless bars that let you do this.

>> No.2623289

Pinball machines.

nothing

but

Pinball machines.

>Medieval Madness
>Elvira Scared Stiff
>Addams Family
>Twilight zone
>Dr Who
>Funhouse
>Sopranos
>Spider Man
>Lord of the Rings
>Family Guy
>X Men (LE Magneto)
>Creature from the Black Lagoon
>Mustang
>Champion Pub
>Bride of Pinbot
>Terminator 2
>Attack from Mars
>AC/DC

Then a Tron and maybe a Star Trek machine

>> No.2623484

>>2623289
>AC/DC
>maybe Star Trek
Good taste on the Stern tables, anon. All the other modern Stern tables suck ass.

>> No.2623502

>>2622867
This is really tough with only 2 sitdowns, but here are my picks:

----------
Upright
----------
Pacman's Arcade Party (Namco's latest official multicade with all the classics you'd need)
Final Fight
X-Men (6p)
Sega Marine Fishing
6-slot MVS (Metal Slug 3, KoF 2002, Puzzle Bobble 2, Mutation Nation, Neo Turf Masters, Neo Mr. Do)
Tapper
Gunbird
Gauntlet Legends
Ghost Squad
Marvel vs. Capcom
Robotron 2084
Police 911 (seriously, an on-rails lightgun game that reads your physical movements and forces you to dodge bullets! I shit you not, GOAT lightgun game. Sequel's good too)
Strider
Salamander
Super Spacefortress Macross
Spy Hunter (stand-up, but only because the sitdown cont is so limited)

-----------
Sitdown
-----------
Crazy Taxi
Daytona USA 2 (8-player multilink if allowed)

--------------
Projection
--------------
Mach Storm
Indy 500

----------
Pinball
----------
Attack from Mars
Star Trek (modern Stern version)

>> No.2623506

>>2623502
Aw fuck, I'ma swap out Macross for Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution

>> No.2623676

A new arcade opened at my mall in the last year
>3 different off brand big buck hunters
>a few racing cabinets from games I don't know
>two basketball shoot cabinets, one tagged out of order
>3 pinball tables, none interesting, one tagged out of order
>a couple catcher games
>a bowling sim cabinet
>pirate themed black light minigolf in a space the size of your average living room
>2 short table skeeball cabinets
>1 air hockey table
>no fighting games. None. Not even a shitty one.

Arcades are dead. For a million dollars, buy 2 cabinets for your rumpus room and keep the rest for yourself.

>> No.2625327

>>2623676
This is the main problem in my area. Most of the family arcades have horrid HORRID selection. The barcades seem to have a better selection but even then it's pretty bad. All of my memories from good arcades, fighters grew large crowds and they were sometimes on projectors. The racing games were always popular too. Shmups didn't draw the largest crowds, but there was always somebody pumping quarters into them. There was at least one Silent Scope / House of the Dead, type shooter with a model gun. NOT fucking Cabela's. There were a handful of classic 8-bit Namco / Atari / Irem / etc games. The only people I ever saw playing pinball were guys that were in their mid 30's with facial hair. They are high maintenance machines that always go out of order too, along with the mechanical video games like Afterburner, Manx TT, that kind of shit.

>> No.2625376

>>2625327
>The only people I ever saw playing pinball were guys that were in their mid 30's with facial hair.
What's wrong with guys in their mid 30s with facial hair?

>:(

>> No.2625385

>>2625376
If there were shitloads of them all pumping quarters into pinball machines, nothing. It was always that one guy. I'm sure he was happier than a pig in shit not having to wait too.

>> No.2625386
File: 962 KB, 957x1500, punchmania.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

i only need one.

>> No.2625673
File: 57 KB, 429x650, medievil.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2625376
>>2625385

I'm early 30s and I love pinball
at least I'm not overweight and I fucking shave
But I agree that the stereotypical pinballers are usually 30s-40s guys either balding and/or with facial hair

>> No.2625869

PSA: for anyone in the northeast Mass or Southeast NH areas, the Pinball Wizard Arcade in Pelham has a solid selection of both arcade and pinball machines. Their website is kind of shit, but it's a great place.

I also know a guy who helps run an event called "Bitfest" where arcade enthusiasts set up temporary barcades at different breweries around the Cambridge/Somerville area every couple of months. Games are free to play, and there are some non-shitbag retro vendors too. That gets pretty crowded though.

>> No.2625870

>>2625673
something like 70% of the male population will be bald by age 40, there ain't much you can do about it

>> No.2626329

>>2625386
You magnificent bastard, you made almost literally the exact post I would have made.

>> No.2627357
File: 26 KB, 370x308, 1281495081514.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2625870
Did you just pull that statistic out of your ass?
Troll harder brah