[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 22 KB, 220x223, 220px-Lufia_the_Legend_Returns_Packaging[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2516268 No.2516268 [Reply] [Original]

Was this game any good? I'm thinking of picking it up for the 3DS.

And is there any news of the other Lufia's coming to VC?

>> No.2516273

Yes, it's the second best Lufia game.

>> No.2516283

>>2516273

What is the official ranking?

>> No.2516315

>>2516283
It's just my opinion, really.

Rise of the Sinistrals > The Legend Returns > Curse of the Sinistrals > Fortress of Doom > Ruins of Lore

>> No.2516325

I love, it starts out really slow and all dungeons are randomly generated, meaning it tends to get repetitive towards the end.
By the end you'll form a party of 9 characters, and you can use their turns in any order. Depending on their positioning in a grid they might grant boosts to each other, etc. It's a bit reminiscent of breath of fire IV.

>> No.2516349

It's okay.
Expect some badass boss designs and...lots...and lots...of randomly generated dungeons.

>> No.2516376
File: 1.11 MB, 1024x764, Lufia_The_Legend_Returns_by_Esteel[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The 2nd and 3rd games are my favorites.
The first drags too much and the translation is not the best.
Ruins of Lore is weak, they tried to expand the capsule monsters system and made a new job system that's more of a chore than anything. But what's really unforgivable is how they ruined based Dekar.

>> No.2516384

Well this is new. I thought everyone hated the Lufia II remake and liked the GBA game for being the most similar to Lufia II.
I guess you should play II and pretend it's the only game in the series or something.

>> No.2516518
File: 18 KB, 256x223, riseofthesinistrals-27.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2516376
>The first drags too much and the translation is not the best
I don't know what you're on about, Fortress of Doom is the ONLY game in the series with a solid, consistently good translation. Well, also Ruins of Lore, but the story there sucked.

Lufia II's translation was abysmal and the story was awfully stupid, the only exception being the stuff already seen in Lufia I, but it does have the best dungeons and awesome gameplay. Graphics and music are great as well.

That said The Legend Returns is my personal favorite, the matrix battle system is just too fun. 9 characters IN THE SAME BATTLE, spiritual force flow, ancient texts, magic, 200F Ancient Cave, it's just amazing. I know the dungeons are random but I don't care too much about those, combat's where it's at for me. Plus it has the best music in the series in my opinion, which is amazing considering it's on the GBC. The translation work is abysmal once again ("frue" destruction etc, there's even a typo in the OPENING CINEMATIC ffs).

Ruins of Lore was a solid experiment but it's just too bland, and I just can't get past the Nomura beltan zippa animu redesigns in Curse of the Sinistrals, even if it has fun gameplay and the story is not profoundly idiotic anymore.

>> No.2517326

>>2516283
They're all pretty good, but usually 2 is the most loved out of the bunch with the GBC title being second. Energy Breaker would probably be in there third if it counts (It takes place in the universe), and the first after that because it pales so much in comparison to 2.

GBA ends up kind of a footnote, not very good.

>> No.2517328

>>2516518
Lufia 2's translation was shit. They even switched yes and no options at least once. There are patches but they don't fix everything, the game reads better than most bad SNES translations at least.