[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 710 KB, 1278x958, quake-logo-papel-de-parede---wal.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2509241 No.2509241 [Reply] [Original]

Am I the only one here who just can not get into Quake? I love the shit out of doom. I've played countless hours of custom wads on vanilla set ups and source ports....but I just can not fucking get into this game

I don't know what it is. Maybe the visuals aren't as charming? I certainly don't like the atmosphere as much, but I feel like its deeper than that

>> No.2509270

awful taste

>> No.2509271

>>2509241
You are the only one.

>> No.2509281

well, the visuals haven't aged as well i guess

>> No.2509285

>>2509270
Pretty much this. You're just an idiot OP.

>> No.2509292

>>2509241
Mix up your weapons. Don't try to shotgun everything. Use your weapons optimally according to the situation. Remap your gun keys around ESDF/WASD for ease of access. Play on Nightmare. Enter 'sv_aim 2' in console or add it to your cfg file so you don't have to do it every time. lrn2bunnyhop, though it's not really necessary.

If you still don't get it then it's not for you.

>> No.2509293
File: 173 KB, 256x446, carbine.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2509241
Soundtrack? Is your soundtrack mute? probably fucking download that shit and throw it into your game if not, also use a sourceport.

>> No.2509297

I've always found quake to be a bit too drab and depressing for my tastes

>> No.2509308

>>2509297
I've always found your face to be a bit too drab and depressing for my tastes.

>> No.2509475

>>2509241
Quake is a lot like Doom, but it's still different in fundamental ways. A lot of people get hung up on how similar it is, while still being really different.

I like the look of Quake, how dark and grimy it is. But it definitely is a bit off putting when coming off of the comparatively bright and colorful graphics in Doom (which is full of bright blues and shining grays, brilliant green marble and slime, bright red blood, loud pink flesh tones, etc).
Quake's a lot rougher, full of deep, gritty browns, of brown stone and rusted metal, murky brown water, maybe some bright lava and yellow lights. Lots of red, gray, purple, and brown, and almost all muted.

The map design and enemy placement differ a bunch due to the new polygonal abilities and due to the fact that enemies had to be more dangerous to make up for the fact that you couldn't have that many on screen without slowdown at the time.

>> No.2509494

>>2509241
i hate the singleplayer. Its hard ugly and unrewarding.
multiplayers still fun tho

>> No.2509505

Quake 1 is a rare example of a game set in a Lovecraft-like world of dark magic. Surprisingly, fairly few games are in this setting, moreso for FPS titles.

I personally find it haunting, beautiful, and bleak. All in all, I fucking loved Quake 1.

Quake 2, on the other hand, just became another "alien wars" game.

Quake 3 had zero setting, though it was the best arena shooter of all time.

>> No.2509514

>>2509505
Pretty much this. Still waiting for an actual sequel to Quake.

>> No.2509528

>>2509514
Yeah. On that note, Quake 4 was a massive fuckup on all levels.

They did not make it an arena shooter, which is frankly what the Quake franchise is most known for at this point in gaming history. So they ditched Quake 3's example.

Nor did they extend the Lovecraft world of dark magic, which was easily the best part of the singleplayer Quake experience.

No, they gave us more ALIEN WARZ bullshit in the style of Quake 2. And they slowed it down. Fucking idiots.

>> No.2509559

>>2509505
Quake III Arena had a super modern setting, though I know what you mean.
>>2509494
It can be very fun when you get into it, frustrating at other times.

>> No.2509564

>>2509494
Dude it's not that hard.

>> No.2509568

>>2509559
>Quake III Arena had a super modern setting

Fair enough. To be more accurate, the setting of Quake 3 was "modern neo gothic with lots of curves to show off our new engine."

The setting was honestly below-average and uninspired for its time. But god damn, the gameplay was unmatched to this day.

>> No.2509571

>>2509505
>>2509505
Simple reason:

Carmack + Romero = Doom, Doom 2, Quake

Carmack Alone = Quake 2
Romero Alone = Daikatana

And they never made a good singleplayer game ever again

>> No.2509591
File: 33 KB, 320x240, Quake_1_screenshot_320x200_e1m3.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2509241
Try playing winquake instead of glquake

>> No.2509592

It is a kind of empty, floaty game. But I always had fun making the monsters fight each other.

Also, it looks more appealing in software rendering. Gives the graphics some grit.

>> No.2509606

>>2509241
I didn't really like Quake at first, but once I played it for a bit it really grew on me. My feeling about it are basically >>2509505

It has an incredible atmosphere and aesthetic, in addition to fantastic old-school FPS gameplay, weapons, monster and level design.

>> No.2509864

>>2509241
Quake is Doom with theoretically superior design but way less character. You can tell that they had tons of fun making Doom compared to making Quake.

>> No.2509886

>>2509864
>Hey Romero, you want to actually DO something for this project today?
>No, Carmack, I'd rather reminisce about old D&D sessions and waste all my time playing DOOM, thanks.
>Romero, is this game not what you wanted it to be or something? Help me out here.
>No, again, I'm actually just thinking about designing my own game since all you guys want to do is work all day.

End of Act 1.

>> No.2510054

>>2509864
Quake's major flaw was it's design is pretty much more heavily biased towards level design. While you can make some pretty fucked up maps for Doom that basically suck shit, like a normal shotgun and Barons of Hells for days. It's more lenient in general for poor level design. Quake however is basically struck by it and it becomes a chore when you ammo choke it and restrict the later weapons, ironically this is more of what the game actually ends up doing lending it to largely be played with more constraint by people who don't know the maps in and out and optimal pickup paths to secrets and how much ammo they can spend. This leads to a lot of boomstick/double boomstick play which is slow and plodding and uninteresting (lack of character really hurts here too).

>> No.2510057

>>2510054
>it's

>> No.2510137

Quake 1 definitely grew on me in time. Some of the level designs are fantastic and not far off from Doom, Episode 2 is my favorite. Unfortunately I find Episode 4 really annoying but most of the game is really good.

I recommend starting with the shotgun for each map for a much more challenging approach.

>> No.2510264

i was the opposite, doom was okay but when i played quake for the first time i had a lot more fun then playing doom. I even made a few levels in it for shits n giggles and my roommate played them.

I even thought about making a whole game in the quake one engine just because i liked it so much, its like, the bare minimum of what i expect from 3d action games.

>> No.2510469
File: 2.73 MB, 854x480, windtunnels4.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The Quake series made the best use of 3D space I've personally ever experienced in a shooter; especially 1 and 3. If you guys have any recommendations of FPS's retro or non-retro that do something similar I'd be grateful.

I wish Romero would make a proper sequel to the original Quake with a talented team. Level design is truly a lost art.

>> No.2510496

As somebody who also greatly enjoys Half-Life 1, I enjoyed Quake a lot. Sure, the combat was mediocre, but the atmosphere and awesome platforming-deathtrap level-design made up for that. Still, I think DOOM is a more enjoyable game if you're not interested in speedrunning. The cool thing about Quake is how open it is to the player. There are usually multiple paths around each level, and finding the right ones, as well as perfecting player movement throughout them, is rewarding. It's an experience for people who want a Gothic atmosphere, a kick-ass soundtrack (NIN does a great job with that), and top-notch level design.
TL;DR Quake has good level design and a great speedrunning community, but DOOM is a better shooter.

Plus, as most Quake fans will tell you, the multiplayer is better.

>> No.2510506

>>2510496
>As somebody who also greatly enjoys Half-Life
kek. and you think this makes you an authority on the subject?

one of the main reasons doom has so many fans is because its skill floor is low as fuck. pretty much anybody can play the game, and that includes me when I was 7 years old. while the skill ceiling is also incredibly high, owing to nightmare difficulty and the speed run community, most people here don't play anywhere near that level and still act like they know jack shit about fps.

>> No.2510529

>>2510506
That's pretty much what I said. The point of my post was to illustrate the fact that Quake is designed as a fast-paced game for people who are experienced FPS players. I don't recall ever stating that I was an "authority on the subject". The reason I mentioned Half-Life 1 is because the games are similar in the beat-at-your-own-speed sense.

>> No.2510564

>>2509292
>Don't try to shotgun everything.
>>2510054
>boomstick/double boomstick play which is slow
this must be why quake never clicked for me. sg could quickly dispatch most enemies in doom, same with ssg in doom 2. not so in quake... it even sounds flaccid.

i get that i'm supposed to use the right tools for the job but shotgunning everything has always felt much more satisfying.

fiends were fun at least.

>> No.2510589

>>2510496
romero wanted to make quake a melee medival game at first but then they agreed to improve on the existing formula of doom instead.

i guess that's what gave birth to hexen which is an amazing game

>> No.2510710

>>2510589
Hexen is good fun, but I found it a bit too vague in puzzles to be "amazing".

e.g. "one third of the puzzle has been solved". Well fucking thanks a bunch for that game, now where do I go? What puzzle am I even solving?!?

>> No.2510750
File: 122 KB, 1208x793, quake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The thing with quake is: it's not for pussies.

>> No.2510754

>>2510750
>OP is pussy

>> No.2510764

>>2510564
the Quake shotgun is a very unsatisfying gun

completely unlike Doom's shotguns, which are just incredibly satisfying to the point where the shotgun could be the only gun in the game and it'd still be fantastic (apart from trying to fight shit like Cyberdemons)

On the other hand, Quake gives you a relatively large amount of rocket ammo and expects you to use it, and using the rocket and grenade launchers is a treat (other than the risk of damaging yourself).
Nailgun is a satisfying gun too, other than its crazy ammo consumption.

Like I said earlier in the thread, Quake's clearly got a lot of the Doom formula in it, but it's still it's own thing as a whole.

>> No.2510802

>>2510764
>the Quake shotgun is a very unsatisfying gun

Why don't you just say "I found the Quake shotgun unsatisfying"?

When you're someone who is on your own among people who've played the game properly and have a really eccentric opinion, it's okay to have the opinion, but at least don't state it like it's a fact or a well agreed with thing.

>> No.2510816

>>2510802
^^^this^^^

>> No.2510820

The problem is that, while superficially very similar, there are a couple of key gameplay changes that put Quake a world away from Doom. For the casual play through they are not that dramatic- but as the sort of person who didn't get enough of Doom with the four official megawads, I'm assuming you are the sort of person to whom they matter.

The first is the fact that there are fewer enemies. The second is that your enemies take much more damage before they go down. The third- your mileage may vary on this one- is the polygon animation.

Basically, while quake is still a hugely fast paced game where you face extreme odds and have to manage health and ammo whilst relying on manoeuvrability to survive, the balance is changed massively, and it makes you feel weaker as a player- Your shotguns feel pathetic in the face of a Shambler, whereas in Doom your SSG still felt like it held its own against the most powerful enemies if you knew how to use it. In quake, you rely on explosives much more, and much of the high level gameplay revolves around mastering their use and the physics engine. It almost stops being a shooter and starts being a physics puzzle at that level. Lastly, you don't have the same tactile feedback when an enemy dies. That instant connect betwen clicking the mouse, and seeing the chaingunner peel apart in glorious hand-drawn sprite animation- Instead they just fall over or gib to pieces.

... There has to be some kind of Brutal Quake mod by now, surely?

>> No.2510891

>>2510802
it is unsatisfying though, and your post is pretty much the first time I've ever heard anyone say otherwise
weak damage output, weak sounds, it just isn't a satisfying gun

no point in pussyfooting around it with shit like
>you should say "I think ___"
and
>eccentric opinion
to try to discredit me, piss off with that shit

>> No.2511028

>>2510820
> Lastly, you don't have the same tactile feedback when an enemy dies. That instant connect betwen clicking the mouse, and seeing the chaingunner peel apart
kekeke. Quake had no input lag in its shooting. Doom's shotgun has input lag between clicking and actually seeing the shot happen, so Quake has more of a so-called 'instant connect' than Doom does.

People that complain about Quake's bullet sponge enemies are stupid. Use rocket launcher, use grenade launcher, use the fucking LG like you're supposed to. I like that Quake encourages you to use all your weapons, very much unlike Doom1&2 where you can run through the whole thing with your shotgun if you see fit.

Seriously Doom1&2 are fucking boring compared to Quake. I'll take Plutonia and megwads like Scythe1&2 over Quake, but the two originals? Fuck no. Snorefests.

>> No.2511032

>>2511028
>Doom's shotgun has input lag between clicking and actually seeing the shot happen
This applies to the rocket launcher, too. Quake's rocket launcher is a million times more satisfying than Doom's, which is slow to shoot and also lacks Quake's degree of rocket precision/control.

>> No.2511089

>>2511032
Quake's rocket launcher is the gold standard to which all FPS rocket launchers should be held to. Double points for inadvertently inventing the rocket jump.

>> No.2511098

>>2511089
b-but rise of the triad invented rocket jump.
Quake invented bhopping, though, the most fun thing in any vidyagehm.

>> No.2511109

>>2511098
Rise of the Triad invented the concept of rockets exploding at your feet flinging people upwards. Quake turned that idea into an actual useful tool. You try rocket jumping in ROTT half the time you'll blow your ass up - YOOOOOUUU SUUUUUCK

>> No.2511158

>>2510469
Is it fair to say that consoles kill verticality because of shitty analog controls? Consoles definitely kill fast twitch gameplay.

>There will never be another top tier, AAA budget PC exclusive FPS

>> No.2511161

>>2511158
*Or at least an FPS designed for PC in mind first, and then later ported to consoles as a downgraded afterthought.

>> No.2511171

>>2509241
i never liked the single player. All the mismatch of themes, it just felt like you were wandering around, no real direction. I dont need a story mode but everything felt inconsistent
. (read Masters of Doom for reasons)

Multiplayer however is miles better than Dooms. Although if I were on a console I could see Doom being more fun but Quake is just superior in every way in that respect except for co-op

>> No.2511808

>>2510820
> Your shotguns feel pathetic in the face of a Shambler
That's what the SNG and Shaft are for. Shambler has 600 health. Shaft does 30 damage per bolt, 600 bolts per minute, 10 bolts per second. 300 Damage per second - Two seconds.SNG does 18 damage per shot - same rate of fire. So 3.4 seconds.
That's why you use those against a shambler than an SSG (double barreled shotgun actually), which does 56 damage @ 85RPM - which would take 11 shots and ~15.6 seconds.
The SSG isn't meant to be used the same way Doom's is. It's meant to take out smaller enemies.

Rockets are also bad against shambler because of the half damage they take from it. Shamblers also take 7/9th damage from the normal nailgun.

>> No.2511819

>>2511032
>which is slow to shoot
I hope you mean for it to fire off, because it has a faster cyclic rate than Quake. Quake's was 75SPM, Doom's was 105SPM. Though Doom's RL does ~2.5x the damage. It's accuracy depends on whether you're using a sourceport or not. If not, well, it's accurate without targets but innaccurate when targeting due to magnetism.

>> No.2511836

>>2511158
>Is it fair to say that consoles kill verticality because of shitty analog controls?
One could suggest a fair degree of it since it would be a pain in the ass to look up and down all the time. But honestly, verticality was always a regularly limited thing even with mice. There's just a tendency not to aim up and down as much. While it's easier to aim with the mouse, it's ironic that the mouse itself has a significantly heavier bias towards horizontal movement than the analog sticks which are equally constrained. Most mouse pads are evidence of this as most are rectangular in the horizontal direction since the sweep of the wrist is longer than the sweep of the fingers and usually people don't move their entire arm while using it. It's also semi useful in that monitors basically end up enforcing it since monitors are typically wider even, even old 4:3 monitors. With widescreens it's more true than ever that mouse usage lends itself to more of a horizontal bias.

>> No.2511840

I still can't get over the fact that shamblers are supposed to be furry.

Thinking they're hairless made them much creepier.

>> No.2511860

>>2511158
It's more accurate to say that consoles make "look" (in any direction) vastly less accurate. So people resort to "strafe aiming" much more. Interestingly a certain amount of strafe aiming is an excellent aiming technique to learn for players with a mouse anyway, fps beginners tend to "mouse aim" way too much. However that's neither here nor there, and what is definitely true is that consoles make fast twitch gameplay clumsy and hugely less accurate.

>> No.2512373

>>2511819
By 'accuracy' I not only mean the magnetism of the auto-aim, but also that you can't shoot off a rocket close to a wall's corner edge because it will explode against it. You'll have to strafe a lot more to the side to make sure it doesn't hit. In Quake you can shoot off a rocket right next to a wall corner. You can get much closer and shoot and it will still be fine.

And of course accuracy also means the ability to look around and not be bound by the auto-aim. I don't play Doom with the ability to look around because it makes the game much easier. I enjoy playing Doom with the original limitations because it makes it more engaging. Free look + no auto aim feels like cheating.

>> No.2512406

>>2509241
DM is godly. Just get a LAN going. My favourite rocket lawnchair

>> No.2512409

>>2509241
DM is godly. Just get a LAN going. My favourite rocket lawnchair in a game ever

>> No.2513219
File: 130 KB, 500x375, Quack.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Try Quack, it's a little better. A little breader. A little breadier. There still isn't a duck button. Most people old enough to have played Quake World would probably appreciate a duck pond simulator by now. Duck ponds often have Geese. Geese are dicks. Geese Howard is a dick. Howard is a duck. Geese Howard is an unholy fusion of an angry bird and Howard the Duck. Angry Birds is a mobile game. id had games on mobile. Rock Howard is the son of Geese Howard. Throwing rocks at Geese can be helpful. Geese make bad pets. Rocks were once pets. If Quake is ported to the Wii U, you can use a rock amiibo to unlock Quack. 9/11 was an inside-out steel beam. Fuel is cool, and that's the rule. The system is corrupt, so don't stay in school.

>> No.2513291

>>2509241
It's a game you've had to experience when it came out to truly appreciate.

>> No.2513302

>>2510802
Wow, you sound like a faggot. Why does he need to say it was his opinion, that's fucking obvious? Do we need to say "this is only my view, but" before every sentence so we don't offend your precious feelings? Sounds redundant as shit.

>> No.2514676

i really dislike quake
nothing in particular really appeals to me
guns feel weak, enemies tank too much damage, visuals are rather bland and uglish, etc

>> No.2514718 [DELETED] 
File: 42 KB, 411x435, 1431825020072.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2513219

>> No.2514761

>>2513302
not him but you also sound like a faggot :]

>> No.2515465

Quake is unbeatable when you want frantic deathmatches - Quad damage plus rocket launcher is a rush that's second to none. Overall a true 3D gem.
Maybe you're more at home in Doom's universe which is less morbid.
SP in Quake can be great too but Doom is more of a ride in this regard - the mystique of finding secrets is hard to beat. Contrary to that secrets in Quake are nowhere near as fulfilling.