[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 166 KB, 480x320, akuma-street-fighter-street-fighter-2842818-480x320.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2354631 No.2354631 [Reply] [Original]

Remember when there wasn't a guide or wiki on every game as soon as it's release? Remember talking with friends about tips and secrets? Remeber those bullshit rumors you believed? What's your favorite fake rumor?
>Someone told me SF3 Third Strike had 2 v 2 tag matches if you beat arcade mode on the hardest difficulty with just low light punch.
>My brother told me Banjo Kazooie's Stop 'N Swop feature worked with Conker's Bad Fur Day and it murged the two games and made a whole new game.
I fucking cried when he said he was joking

>> No.2354638

Yes. I liked video games more when I, and everyone else didn't know EVERY SINGLE DETAIL about every single game ever existed.

Roms also made me like my vidya less too.
I have thousands of roms, but since they are all so accessable.. I don't really care about playing them.

Getting a new cartridge made my fucking day.

>> No.2354646

I purposely avoid that type of thing unless I'm completely stuck somehow. Just because its there doesn't mean you have to use it.

>> No.2354667

>>2354638
>>2354646
It just sucks all the fun out of a game when you can find every secret and solve every problem by Googling it. There's no sense of accomplishment.

>> No.2354721

>>2354667
Then just don't google it?

>> No.2354780

>>2354721
I was referring to all the people who jump on the internet as soon as they run into a slight problem.

>> No.2354785

>>2354667
Agreed.

>> No.2354812

>AND THEN GET THE BIGGORON SWORD
>AND THEN...

>> No.2354828
File: 20 KB, 420x369, descent 519-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2354631
>Remember when there wasn't a guide or wiki on every game as soon as it's release?

NO. I hardly ever got games soon after their release, I had a few textmode programs with help for a few hundred games.

GO WINGNUT!

>> No.2354932

>>2354631
i don't see the problem. if i want to play the old way, i just don't browse the faq's.

unless you are a weak faggot, and you do so anyway.

>>2354780

it's their choice. you want to figure out the game on your own - don't read the faq's.

i mostly check them out when i am completely stuck (e.g. for a few days), or want to figure out things i missed out on after already having finished the game a few times.

>> No.2355256

>>2354932
I usually turn to them when I don't have the time to deal with games that I know have missable bullshit.

>> No.2355289

>>2354638
There's more to it than that.

Being able to finance my own hobby as opposed t begging my parents for new games has a lot to do with it.

>> No.2356448
File: 271 KB, 512x448, castlevania-ii-simons-quest-virtual-console-20071031105730806_640w.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2354638
I used to feel this way, but realized it's still pretty easy to avoid. Now when I get a new game I go into a bit of a blackout mode and don't read forums or guides about it. If I get stuck or want to know something specific it's nice to know I can google it for a quick tip, but in general it's fun to just go back to exploring and learning a game on my own.

>>2354631
I somehow avoided most bullshit rumors, or never believed them enough that I remember them anymore. The thing that stands out in my memory is one that sounded like a bullshit rumor to me but turned out to be true.

I was 11 or 12 and had been stuck in Simon's Quest for ages with no clue what to do. There was a douchey kid a couple years older in my lunchroom who overheard me talking with my friends about it and told me to take the blue crystal and crouch in this one spot.

I remember thinking he was probably lying because he was usually a dick, but tried anyways because I didn't know what else to do and was delighted when it worked. I probably should have thanked him.

>> No.2356453

>rented Street Fighter Alpha 2 (SNES)
>loved Akuma
>would roll around on the d-pad and mash buttons and sometimes get his special moves

Was so awesome.

>> No.2359121

>>2354631
I do. Although to be fair not a lot of games in the early 70's required much of a guide. By the time any guide required more than a few sentences BBSs were popular. Of course in addition to the guides they had there were plenty of faggots talking bullshit. Only a fool would take anything posted there as fact.

>>2354638
Well that your own fault isn't it?

>> No.2359139
File: 64 KB, 620x667, 1429633587628-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>If I get stuck or want to know something specific it's nice to know I can google it for a quick tip, but in general it's fun to just go back to exploring and learning a game on my own.

This is the way to go. Half the fun of playing is learning how to optimize your strategy/mechanics. Sometimes even starting a new game halfway through because you learn things that will set you ahead of your current game (in terms of items, points or lives) if you replay up to that point.

After you get towards the end and things get rough, or on another round of play then it can be fun to research every aspect of a game. And find out tricks that are a godsend after already being good at the game from trial and error.

Mmmm gets me randy just thinking about it.

>> No.2359148

>>2354721
As a kid I owned and beat every zelda game up to majoras mask except for a Link to the past without a guide. 20 years later I finally got around to playing it and I cant even go 10 minutes without googling something. Its impossible to progress unless you get the bonus items which are so well hidden it defies logic. None of the regular puzzles make any sense to me either aside from
>boss with mask
>smash it with a hammer

>> No.2361586

>>2359139
Having to start a new game half way through because you missed an item you really need and can no longer get isn't fun. At least not for anyone except a few autists and sick game designers who get off on inflicting pain on children.

>> No.2361889

>You can unlock Charizard in super smash bros if you leave one unknown character locked and beat the game on the hardest difficulty and you have to finish the last round before master hand with a pokeball and that pokeball has to be a charizard

So many hours.

>> No.2361897

>>2359148
Sounds like you're just shite at videogames now

>> No.2361904

>>2356448

>it's still pretty easy to avoid

This is why I never really bothered me, plus then there's the option if I want it.

There's probably a bunch of NES games I own that I never beat as a kid because I got stuck at some point and couldn't figure out how to get past it.