[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 22 KB, 309x314, hardcore_gamer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2229714 No.2229714 [Reply] [Original]

What was a hardcore gamer in the 80s and 90s? Did casual games exist?

I have a magazine circa autumn 2000. There's an article called "I am not hardcore". The points are:

>I read game manuals
>I don't buy import games
>I actually like Spyro the Dragon
>I hate anime
>I don't believe in absurd challenges

>> No.2229729
File: 37 KB, 800x600, h21.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Well, even though games were overall harder back then, most people also didn't even get close to beating any of them, so I guess you could consider them casual.

>> No.2229772

>What was a hardcore gamer in the 80's and 90's?
Let's put Quake for example
A pro hardcore gamer from that time doesn't even talk, he just frags your ass[and the rest of the server if it was DM] and wins without saying a single word

Now if we go on the overall hardcore gamer, it would be the one that....
1)Doesn't need cheats to beat a game[let's say beating Turok in hard without NTHGTHDGDCRTDTK or Konami code]
2)1cc any arcade game
3)Win streak of 20 in a fighting game like Street fighter, Mortal Kombat, Primal Rage, etc. until it gets tired
4)Proves wrong rumours of THAT kid
5)Can play any coop game with his little sister and make both reach the final boss with at least one continue spent

Also, casual games existed back in the time, Super Mario Bros. itself is casual and easy and so is any Nintendo game around the time. Different thing that newbies from the next generation can't into SMB because they just download it from something like CoolROM and play it without no instruction or what to do in the game[i.e. learning that holding B makes you turn faster] and that said casual games were something between casual and hardcore, it's called being a fun game for everyone.

>> No.2229776

>>2229772

Most classic games would be deemed casual now, especially prior to the 90s

>> No.2229779

>>2229772
>1cc any arcade game
on the first try?

>> No.2229810
File: 279 KB, 1294x2159, 1416899896732.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2229779
Hardcore gamers are made out of experience, hence the term expert players
They probably do it when they git gud at the game which would be around the....12th try

Remember, even pros were noobs at one point

>> No.2229872

>>2229714
its a superfluous status symbol anyway, even tetris can be played in high level doesn't mean you HAVE to play it that way
w/e im too old to try to fit in

>> No.2229875

>>2229810
no ufckin way 12 rounds is enough
you need way more than 12 tries AFTER memorizing every stage

>> No.2229920

>>2229714
Hardcore gamers back then were those guys at the arcade who would school people at the fighting games or clear a whole game on a single quarter.

They could be seen with their initials "ASS" and "SEX" on the high score boards.

>> No.2229934

>>2229714
I actually don't think the term or the idea of a "hardcore gamer" actually even existed until the late 90s, before that you just either played games or you didn't, yeah there were people that were good at certain games and they gained status for it but no one was trying to seperate themselves from the mythical "casual gamer". Also, even in the late 90s when the term started popping up, it wasn't used in the same way it is now as there was no lash out against "casual" gaming as there is now, either way the term/idea of such a thing as a hardcore gamer and that it is something that you should strive for is rather silly and it's idiotic that people take it seriously.

>> No.2229951

>>2229714
Generally, ye olde hardcore gamer of years past could be one of three types of guys:

>the guy who played games until he fucking MASTERED them, and could then beat the living shit out of anyone, anytime. These guys would also play single player games, and usually ended up doing speed or other challenge runs after a while. And of course these guys were usually totally enamored with what they were doing and generally had the kind of focus and lack of emotion you'd see in a fucking monk meditating under a waterfall or some shit like that. You'd have to wonder if they even enjoyed videogames at all...

>that Guy who was desperately obsessed with videogames in general and spent hours upon hours modding Doom, researching imports he wished he could get (or DID get), endless posting on message boards and their room usually looked like the stereotypical Otaku's room. Videogame and anime posters everywhere, figures, comics, shelves upon shelves filled with VHS/DVDs and games, ect. They were the collectors of the time, but they actually played what they collected 99% of the time and knew their shit. They just weren't necessarily good at games.

>that unfortunate soul who was both at once.

Casual games did in fact exist, but even the most casual games had high level play. Like doing challenge runs on the Legend of Zelda (witch was a game that a lot of soccer moms played at the time, FYI) and people who fucking mastered Tetris.

The "casual" label didn't come about until much later on, and it was mostly people who played casually (an hour or less at a time, only a few times a week, not that into it, ect)

These days its a fucking dick measuring contest with no hope of ever having a winner, because modern "hardcore" gamers are just scrubs who ONLY play AAA console games that are more movie than videogame and "casual" gamers who play Candy Crush on their tablet are more hardcore, dedicated, skilled and obsessive than them...

It's really fucked up now, honestly.

>> No.2229954

>>2229772
> and so is any Nintendo game around the time

Legend of zelda, Link's adventure, Metroid, and Kid Icarus were considered easy? Really? Mario I can kind of understand, but im not sure about the others I mentioned. If there was any game that seemed to easy during those days it would probably be the Kirby games, but those games were specifically designed to be easy to beat.

>>2229714
86 here. I personally don't recall ever hearing or seeing the word "hardcore gamer" being thrown until late 90s early 2000s. Maybe it was just my circle of friends or maybe I was just too young to have discussion about what a being a hardcore gamer could entail, who knows. I had heard the term used to describe a particular player of a particular game, namely fighting games (e.g. hardcore SF player, hardcore KoF player, hardcore Virtual fighter etc) but as far as I remember you just either a gamer, or you weren't.

>> No.2229962
File: 99 KB, 885x585, 1388328463059.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2229729

Man, remember when beating or "solving" a game was a thing?

>> No.2229995

>>2229962
no, beating games is for "elitists"

>> No.2230035

All games were "hardcore" and all gamers were "hardcore gamers".

Casuals didn't exist until gaming went after casual players in the mid 90s with the PS1 and N64.

>> No.2230039

>>2229962
remember when a good chunk of your game collection were games you could only get to level 3 of

remember when seeing the final stage in a game was pure ecstasy, aswell as a total shock when you finally got to see what it was like

>> No.2230063

MYST.

That was the beginning of the casual plague.

>> No.2230082

>>2230039

>scrape through the familiar portion of an uncompleted game
>that feling when playing an unfamiliar and obviously final level
>that raised heartbeat as you tentatively navigate the terrain with your last few lives
>that dread when you're on your last life and don't even know how you got this far or if you ever will again

They were the best of times.

>beat the boss against all odds
>forced to play the game again to get the true ending

They were the wort of times.

>> No.2230098

>>2230082
>finally get to the final stage with 1 life
>get wrecked by the first trap/trick

every time

>> No.2230195

>>2229875
Maybe on the first 5 attempts, more than 1 credit was used, i forgot to specify that

>> No.2230198

>>2229951
>and "casual" gamers who play Candy Crush on their tablet are more hardcore, dedicated, skilled and obsessive than them...
I shit you not, my sister speed runned that game, it wasn't even a joke

>> No.2230208

>>2229954
>Legend of zelda, Link's adventure, Metroid, and Kid Icarus were considered easy?
With Kid Icarus, you had a really annoying game and that's all, the rest are more like Normal mode because Metroid wasn't as hard as contra, and around the time, Metroid was considered run n gun (NOTE:This time, being before the term Metroidvania existed) and the Zelda games are not as hard as people make it out and i am sure that around the time, people had the instruction booklets, which gave you enough info on what to do therefore, people didn't had that much trouble with the game.

Nintendo in general then and now is the company that made games that fall in the void between casual and hardcore, as their games can be casually beated but they have special hardcore ways to be beaten, best example would be completing them at 100%, which is hard as balls when it comes to the Kirby games. This is my point, and by the standards of that time when games were hard, Nintendo sounds like they were always casual on my record. Doesn't mean they are shit.

And also, as you said, the term "hardcore gamer" came around the mid 90's and early 2k's which is the time when the FPS genre was a big trend AKA the golden era of FPS with Unreal, Quake and a lot of great-to-god tier FPS existed

>> No.2230216

>>2230208
And besides, i forgot to mention one last thing. In my opinion, Nintendo never made a game that was "impossible to beat", the arcade-ish titles like Mach Rider, Ice Climber, Ballon Fight, Clu-Clu Land and the original Donkey Kong games[not counting DK94 on the gameboy] don't count that much because they are mostly repeating and infinite cycles of guilt.
Stuff like Kid Icarus was just a matter of memorization and with Zelda II, you had to do specific things to progress or simply don't have a problem[Belive me when i tell you that the game becomes easier by a big margin after you get out of the Death Mountain]

>> No.2230263

>>2230063
MYST was too hard for me when i was a kid and it was new

>> No.2230283 [DELETED] 

>>2229772
>English as second language: the post

leave

>> No.2230320

>>2229714
Who did not read game manuals back then though? If I'm about to throw myself into this virtual world I'd like to know as much about it as I can first.

Hypothetically suppose someone played the original Super Mario Bros. as their first Mario game without reading the manual or even knowing what Mario or anything from that series even is. They're not going to know anything about the world or why they're going into this big turtles houses and throwing them into lava beyond this little Aladdin dudes with funny hats talking about some princess of theirs.

>> No.2230324

>>2229714
>I hate anime

This point confuses me the most.

>> No.2230327

The best definition for the type of person that calls themselves a "hardcore gamer" is "someone who argues about video games on the internet more than playing them".

>> No.2230342

>>2230283
The guy's post is perfectly understandable.

>> No.2230370

>>2230039
I know that feel

NES Collection as a kid:

>Tennis
Tennis was Tennis

>Bigfoot
Bigfoot was a thumbkiller with bullshit AI

>Rygar
Rygar was confusing as all hell

>Ikari Warriors
Ikari Warriors was, and still is fucking impossible

>Life Force
Life Force was tough but actually the first game I legitimatelly beat

>Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was the game that had nothing past Area 2 because I got lost in the dam all the time

>Ghosts 'n Goblins
Ghosts 'n Goblins was that game that took years to even get past the first 3 levels

>> No.2230373

>>2230283
Be me man

I'm tired of this shit too, it seems to be mroe pervasive here than on other boards.

>> No.2230390

>>2230320

"manuals" probably meant strategy guide

>>2230324

anime was new to the west for the most part a lot of rpg's had that style and the "gamers" who played them were really the first people discovering anime because of that shared look honestly, late 80s early 90s people who started to imported jrpgs and stuff were also the first people to get into importing anime... i even remmeber old gaming magazines having anime articles despite that having nothing to do with gaming, japan was where video games were being made so gamers had a lot of interest in it even before the late 90s/early 2000 anime boom in the west.

>> No.2230404

>>2230390
Actually, in my country (europleb here) anime started to pop up in TV in the late 70s with the real boom in the whole 80s. I suppose the 90s/2000 boom for the anime is more an american thing.

>> No.2230468

If you spent lots of time playing games you were "hardcore." It wasn't a matter of skill, it was a matter of time and effort. To borrow the third anon's Quake example, I played deathmatch, team deathmatch and Team Fortress, I was a member of a few clans, I played lots of singleplayer maps and mods, I created my own maps, I watched machinima and speedruns, and I developed a very good understanding of the command console. It would be absurd to say that I was playing Quake "casually" just because I wasn't a top-tier player.

The division between "hardcore" and "casual" is a recent invention and didn't exist 20-30 years ago. Mario and Zelda weren't casual games, they were just games.

>>2229951
>modern "hardcore" gamers are just scrubs who ONLY play AAA console games that are more movie than videogame
No different from kids in the NES era. It's self-mythologizing to think otherwise.

>>2230404
I live in Europe too and the first time I saw anime was in 2000 when I downloaded it from IRC.

>> No.2230491
File: 30 KB, 480x360, Cf38.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2230468
There were a few series on TV like

Captain Future
Honeybee Maja
Heidi
Nils Holgerson

Captain Future got a kickass soundtrack in the German localization.

>> No.2230492

>>2230283
His post is completely understandable. Maybe English isn't YOUR first language or your autism just got triggered?

>> No.2230507

>>2230468
>I live in Europe too and the first time I saw anime was in 2000 when I downloaded it from IRC.
Well, I suppose it depends on which country then. I'm italian and anime were a huge thing since 1979 when the main national channel started to air Grendizer, which was the very first and which the italian soundtrack was the #1 record in the charts at that time.
But I know all of this is quite OT

>> No.2230515

Most gamers hate being called casual but almost everyone is casual. Hardcore are the very few

>> No.2230518

>>2230039

I've literally never beat Super Mario Bros. I can't even get past Bowser on World 1 anymore.

I consider myself hardcore, just a shitty gamer

>> No.2230520

>>2230468
>I live in Europe too and the first time I saw anime was in 2000 when I downloaded it from IRC.
I guess it depends on the country.
Prior to that we got Evangelion in saturday morning cartoons and Dragon Ball. Actually, Dragon Ball became a huge thing here, universities stopped to watch it, when Son Goku fought Freeza it made the news on how the country stopped to watch it.

Later in 2000 we got a cable tv channel that would pass anime, like the mandatory anime, Excel Saga, Cowboy Bebop, Lain, Trigun, etc.

>> No.2230526
File: 29 KB, 300x300, RobinField.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2230404
Spain here, we got our anime boom in the 80s too and I pretty much assumed it was the same for all the continent. That's why I never understood pic related, an unaltered version of the Captain Tsubasa games would have sold 10 times more here.

>> No.2230528

>>2230035
This just isn't true. Even back when it came out pacman was for everyone. Donkey Kong too. Fuck go back further, pong.

Games were always meant to be accessible to everyone. The reason why the difficulty got lower was due to the death of arcades. Difficulty back then was a way to design a short game, but still have the means to keep the person pumping quarters inside.

In fact they were still pushing home consoles as arcade like experiences even during the 16bit era.

>> No.2230531

>>2230526

Anime didn't get big in most places until the late 90s to mid 2000s

>> No.2230539

>>2230035
This is what "hardcore" "retro" gamers like to believe.

The truth is, casualization started with the NES. Famicom, FAMILY Computer.
Funny thing is most of the people who say what you're saying were people who started as casuals with the NES. Casuals who started with the Wii will probably say just like you in 20 twenty years.

>> No.2230550

>>2230539

The Odyssey was for families and many early arcade games were for general audiences

>> No.2230553

>>2229714
In the 3rd, 4th, and to a certain extend the 5th generation of videos most people were hard core gamers because most games were hardcore.

The arcade scene was huge with shmups, beat em ups, fighting games, and rail shooters all being made hardcore.

The PC community was dominated by highly advanced and complex rpgs, strategy games, sims, and first person shooters

The console's most dominate genre was the platformers and the adventure games which were usually made at least moderately challenging.

There really wasn't a big market for casual games. We had movie tie ins, sports games, and shallow piss easy games but those were purchased by the type of people who didn't play games very much. Ninja gaiden wasn't a 'hard game' it was a 'normal game'.

Even jrpgs were slightly more hardcore, if no reason other than having less cutscenes.

>> No.2230554

>>2230526
could it simply because of licensing? especially if the anime license holders are already having a tight grip on the market.

>> No.2230567

>>2230553

Games were aimed at little kids. Preteens are rarely hardcore

>> No.2230576

>>2230554
Dunno, we got Super Butoden 2 for the SNES. It probably was just what >>2230531 said.

>> No.2230592

>>2229776
As usually happens, the bottom-most of entertainment eventually rises to the top by the passage of time and people's memories.

>> No.2230606

>>2230468
Really? I thought that stuff like Mazinger got heavy play over there.

Or was it only in Spain, France, and Italy?

>> No.2230608

>>2230082
Ghosts and Goblins is the bane of my platforming skillset.

>> No.2230614

>>2230606
>Or was it only in Spain, France, and Italy?

I suppose so then.
Did you know that Italy, Spain and France had the same songs for the intros, but they were switched? Here's just one of the examples
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlRGn8ee5_U

>> No.2230615

"Gamer" as an identity unto its own is fairly new. For decades it's been normal for all young men to play video games. From the beginning, the vast majority of games have been developed for mass appeal from the beginning.

The gamer identity is mostly a way for manchildren to justify playing with toys.

>> No.2230616

>>2230614
Like, the languages are wrong you mean?

>> No.2230623

>>2230616
oh, listening to all of them I think I get it.

>> No.2230635

Pong came out in 1972 and was very casual. The Atari 2600 and similar systems weren't intended for "hardcore gamers" either. The "casual gamers" and their "casual games" have been around for as long as video games have. In a way arcade games are inherently casual as they are played in short bursts and designed to be picked up quickly, and you can even buy your way to the ending screen.

Some people in this thread are trying to build an imaginary past. Kids just played whatever was put in front of them whether it was good, bad, easy or difficult, and there was no "hardcore gamer" identity. Kids didn't declare "I'm not like those casuals!" and then import games from Japan and 1CC them or whatever. The Internet didn't exist for the average person, least of all for children (the web didn't exist at all).

>>2230531
I live in Finland. Jonathan Clements wrote in 2003 that there was no anime on TV aside from Pokemon and DBZ (and maybe something else along those lines). I can't remember even those, but by then I was too old to care about them. At some point in the 00s FMA was shown on TV, and there were a few anime movies here and there that aired late at night. Aside from that I never saw anime on TV (I more or less stopped watching TV in the late 00s and don't know what has happened since then).

>> No.2230643

Casuals have always existed. They were the people who stopped playing Mario 1 at the bridge with the fish. Duck Hunt is still their favorite NES game. They thought Atari games were entertaining.

>> No.2230648

Related to the thread, I was a casual in the early 90s. I was 12 in 94 and the idea video games could be a huge, organized hobby didn't even remotely occurred to me back then.

Things I did that will make you cringe;
>threw away boxes
>would write all over manuals and eventually lose them as well
>play everything in easy mode, if available
>never tried to get a 100% in any game (ie. it took me 15 years to bother to collect all emeralds in Sonic 2)
>would leave my consoles on the floor for years without bothering to dust them
>ripped manual pages to write phone numbers on it

By the time I began to care (when I got a n64 on christmas 97) I had discarded 3 generations worth of gaming stuff, manuals, magazines, boxes, etc. Ironic I would be purchasing the exact same stuff I unceremoniously trashed years prior.

>> No.2230664

>>2230370
>Top Gun 2
You have to fly a plane through trees in the desert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbsapRbXsc0

>> No.2230675

>>2229714
Reading the manuals should always be a priority. Only jackasses don't read the manual.

>> No.2230690

>>2230648
>Ironic I would be purchasing the exact same stuff I unceremoniously trashed years prior.
This is what the collectibles industry is based. Not just with games, but with everything. When you're a kid, you play with your toys and trash them and throw them away. When you get older, you buy them all over again for way more than they were worth originally. It's just how it works.

>> No.2230774

>>2230615
So are you one of those manchildren?

>> No.2231230

>>2229714
The 80s and 90s are two totally different periods. If they made movies of the history of video games the 80's would be Vidya 2, The Golden Age, and the 90's would be Vidya 4, Rise of the Casuals.

>> No.2231236

>>2231230
What's Vidya 3?

>> No.2231243

>>2230518
use the warp zone. i spent months playing without warp zone until i could get to 8-3 where id always die. the thing is tho, it took 55 mins each time and its not even a very good game imo what with the copy pasted levels and what i think has to be lack of testing. in the end i just warped and moved on to smb3 which is fantastic

>> No.2231248

>>2229772
idk man the original smb1 is a pretty bad game but not that easy

>> No.2231249

Magazines were only good for the information about the games.
Everything else like those shitty articles are just fillers that I never payed much attention to.
Even as a kid, I didn't bother reading those and we had no internet, so I used to read the same magazines over 10 times until the next one got released.

>> No.2231251

>>2229920
damn that sounds like i time i wouldve wanna be around for

>> No.2231254

>>2229714
That's a list of how to be a weeb not how to be a hardcore gamer.

>> No.2231256

>>2231243
>>2231248
>>2231251

Could you spend even one minute to format your shit so people can actually read it? That last post is borderline illegible.

>> No.2231268

>>2230643
Hey river raid and adventure were great.

>> No.2231289
File: 20 KB, 512x434, i1e9fb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2230404
I live in Latin America and here Anime at its most popular was in the early 90s with Captain Tsubasa (because we love football/soccer), and Saint Seya, but it was already popular in the 80s with anime about giant robots like Robotech or Mazinger.
Since we are not proper westerners, both anime and western animation are equally foreign to us, so there is no stigma or natural preference of one over the other.

Thousands of peple played the Captain Tsubasa NES rpg on famiclones in japanese, in spite of not knowing any Japanese at all.

The way I see it, hardcore gamer meant 2 things back then, either the guy who could 1cc arcade games and would beat most other people in fighting games, or the adult who played on pc with expensive accesories, for example for flying simulators. The guy who was great, or the guy who spent a serious ammount of money in his gaming experience.

>> No.2231427

>>2231236
Oops. 90's should be Vidya 3. 2000's would be Revenge of the Casuals: Casuals in Paradise and 2010's would be Planet of the Casuals

>> No.2231439

>>2230039
You literally just summarized why I only play retro games

>> No.2231817

>>2230039
i loved when emulators finally arrived so i could actually find out what the later levels of games like tmnt, battletoads and ninja gaiden 3 were like. they always had this air of mystery. and that didn't bug me back then, it was just understood that you just werne't going to see the end of some games.

>> No.2231916

>>2230491
uhm nils holgerson is swedish

>> No.2231920

>>2231256
how does it look on ur end? im posting with the clover android app and it looks fine to me but the dev would prolly want to know if the posts look messed up

>> No.2231934

I was born in the early 80s and I remember almost all NES games being completely impossible without cheats. I wasnt able to beat games on my own until the psx came out while I was in highschool

>> No.2232017
File: 27 KB, 230x315, 230px-Nils.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2231916
It was produced by NHK, but yes the story is by a Swedish author.

>> No.2232025
File: 2.05 MB, 320x262, PG_bpz.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2229962
For some reason, everyone in my area always referred to this as "wrapping" a game. I once said this in my new home in Florida and nobody had a damn clue what I was talking abut...then again, they think mac and cheese with ketchup is ungodly. Maybe this was a southern Alberta thing?

>> No.2232039
File: 15 KB, 360x253, nintendon't.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2232046

>>2232039
Fucking dweenies ruined gaming

>> No.2232048

>>2232039
>right wing garbage
what does even politics have to do with anything?

>> No.2232053

>>2232039
Oh god, this guy looks like my uncle back in the day

>You want a Megadrive?
>Wot
>Why don't you just take an Amiga
>You can program with that
>You can make your own games son
>Think about it
>You can write even your own music with that shit
>Why do you want to give gooks money for such a limited thing?
>It's too limited
>Hell you can't even type with that shit

>> No.2232056

>>2232053
original PC mustard race.

>> No.2232060

>>2232039

This is amazing. Is there a website somewhere I can go to read 20-year-old shitposts like this?

>> No.2232073

>>2232039

shitposting about vidya while I was a toddler. wow...

>> No.2232081

>>2232060
Google Groups.

>> No.2232112

>>2229714
I actually have no idea but I'm gonna take a punt and say the retro hardcore gamer just played games more than most, and got good enough to 1cc games through trial and error.

I'm also guessing that the people who normally got the best at the games they played did this in groups so they could give each other advice since there wasn't Internet around.

>> No.2232123

>>2232039
how do you get to the really old posts without scrolling down for like hours?

>> No.2232125

>>2232112
People weren`t living under a rock, because there was no internet. Gamer who had a bigger interest in gaming usually read local and import console and computer magazines for information and ordering games.

>> No.2232131

>>2232081

https://groups.google.com/d/msg/rec.games.video.sony/ie6eqQ9oe_8/kcabN2erMG4J

>> No.2232145
File: 35 KB, 350x333, 1400666524654.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2232131
Good lord, this is glorious, I was too young to shitpost back then, I missed all these guys being proto /v/.

Jokes aside, it's fun to see how some things never change. It's also impressive how much more "civil" those discussions were, I guess being able to post image macros really was the cancer for any good kind of communication after all.

>> No.2232180

>>2232125
You don't need internet to live under a rock anon.

>> No.2232184

>>2230491
My first intro to anime was 'Battle of the Planets' which (I latter found out) was an americanized 'Gatchaman' I thought it was great though I hated kasy kasum's voice

>> No.2232186

>>2229772
>Also, casual games existed back in the time, Super Mario Bros. itself is casual and easy and so is any Nintendo game around the time. Different thing that newbies from the next generation can't into SMB because they just download it from something like CoolROM and play it without no instruction or what to do in the game[i.e. learning that holding B makes you turn faster] and that said casual games were something between casual and hardcore, it's called being a fun game for everyone.

Nah. Nobody used the phrase "casual games" as a genre until Farmville came out. The only real divide was between console games and computer games. Computer games were deeper and more complicated

>> No.2232191

>>2230320
>Who did not read game manuals back then though?

You only read the manual back then if you couldn't figure out the controls (if you even gave a shit, or if the manual even told you how to play, a lot didn't), or wanted to know the enemy names

>> No.2232198
File: 103 KB, 949x834, MOTHR1review1990.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

old school weeb from 1990.

>tfw no Kyoko Watanabe gf

Regarding OP's question, I don't remember the word "casual" being used within the vidya comunity until around 2002-ish. Probably it started to be used at the end of the 90s, but I first started seeing a lot of people saying "lol, fucking casuals" a lot around 2002, 2003.
I believe it was a buzzword to generate hype for the upcoming wave of easy to get into, yet "hardcore-looking" games such as Halo and the big array of FPSs that invaded the industry.
Dividing old "game-y" games as casuals, and modern fast-paced shooters as "hardcore" in the minds of the main videogame demographic (teens and young adults) would be a proper way to sell their products for the companies within the industry.
This is just my own view on it, anyway.

Everytime someone starts debating about casual games vs hardcore ones, I remember Tetris.

>> No.2232273

>>2232053

Why the shit would I wanna make my own game? This isn't LEGO time.

>> No.2232292

>>2232273
My uncle was and still is a PC mustard raec, he could not cope with the fact than a six year old kid gives less than zero shits about coding you own stuff, which is actually neat at the end of the day.
He was such a huge filthy nerd he actually did make his own games when he used the Commodore or the Spectrum.

>> No.2232324
File: 133 KB, 1000x1000, 138899.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2229714
>What was a hardcore gamer in the 80s and 90s?
Edgy kids who played Doom and cursed at their parents.
>Did casual games exist?
Video games since their conception have been casual. There's nothing particularly deep or complex about Pong or Pac-Man. "Hardcore" gaming didn't even become "cool" until the PS2.

>> No.2232404

>>2232191
>not reading the game manual/box on the way home from the rental store.
>that joy. That anticipation
Shygddt

>> No.2232416

>>2232145
Discussions were likely far less civil on bulletin board systems, which were the 4chans of their era. People would even doxx each other. Before the web came into use, newsgroups were for academics and university students and such, and if you were using university systems under your real name you were much more mindful of your behavior.

>> No.2232845

>>2232198
I love the part where he has JIS but you got to replace the ESC characters.

UTF-8 was a boon to humanity.

>> No.2232931

>>2232112
>>2232125
It's cute when kids think there was no internet before they discovered it. Any gamer with a computer was on the internet in the late 80's and through the whole 90's
It's even cuter when they think there was no way to exchange information online before this. There were millions of people on BBSs in the early 80's and 99.9% of them were gamers

>> No.2233250

>>2232131

This is the same console-war bullshit we see today, it never goes away and never will go away. What is it in man that drives us to form groups like this? Why the fuck can't people just enjoy both holy shit. Its the same shit throughout the rest of 4chan too,

/g/ is mac vs PC
/v/ is nintendo vs sony
/o/ is jap vs american/ ferd vs chebby
even fucking /an/ is cats vs dogs.

>> No.2233375

>>2232931
>Any gamer with a computer was on the internet in the late 80's
>late 80's

Hahaha, no. Just no. Maybe like... 0.1% had internet access at all which they used for BBS, and maybe 0.00001% of those played some kind of MUD now and then.

>> No.2233379

>>2232931
Going online (BBS, early Internet) meant long distance calls, where I live in Germany in the 80s, early 90s and it was very expensive Only a minority of people did it and they were in the hacker/warez scene. Maybe it was a more common thing in the US.

>> No.2233381

>>2232048

He's not using the term "right wing" he's saying "right" the way a chav would, like "that's piece of right garbage" but he's also using the term "wing" to refer to something on the sidelines.

That's just how nerds talked 25 years ago.

He should have worded it "A right piece of wing garbage" in order to be clearer but I guess he was just so mad about nintendo being shit that he didn't think before he typed.

>> No.2233527

I just remember the old "high scores" section of the Guiness Book of World Records for arcade games back in the 1980s; several of those guys ended up forming EGM.

>> No.2234414

>>2233379
Based on the stories on textfiles.com, it wasn't uncommon for American users to illegally make free long distance calls.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phreaking#Toll_fraud
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_box

>> No.2234651

>>2230039
>remember when seeing the final stage in a game was pure ecstasy
I dont condone sad frog images but that made me an unhappy amphibian

>> No.2234787
File: 153 KB, 720x310, holdbutton.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I don't think "casual" gaming existed until those LCD poker games appeared in the 90s.

>> No.2234987

>>2233375
I can tell by the terminology you use that you're unfamiliar with the period so there's really no point commenting on your made up numbers. Maybe you're confusing "hardcore gamer" with "a kid whos older brother let him play Mario a few times".

>>2233379
Could have been the case where you live. There were several local BBSs in my area throughout the 80's and I lived in a small city of about 20k. Anything that size or larger in the US had BBSs. There were plenty of germanfags on QSD so I'm sure others had cheap/free numbers.

>>2234414
You betcha. Red, Blue, and Black boxes worked well into area of codez and there was no shortage of x.25 and 800 unixs. AT&Ts worked pretty much world wide and Eurofags used them to dial into US BBSs on a regular basis.

>> No.2235019

>>2232025
Northern Albertan here, people here still refer to beating games as "wrapping" them.

>> No.2235028
File: 612 KB, 1280x1710, atari_2600_ad_phoenix_germany.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2234787
Yeah gaming has always been a 100% hardcore affair until then LOL

Hardcore gaming is mostly an invention of edgy nineties marketing campaign, merged with some aspects of the arcade culture.

>> No.2235039

>>2235028
LOL

>> No.2235070

>>2233250
PC > mac
nintendo > sony
jap > american
ferd > chebby
dogs > cats

>> No.2235483

>>2232404
This 1000 times this, reading the manual over and over and over again, learning who the characters were, trying to get as much story in your brain as possible, hyping yourself up.

>> No.2236549

>>2233250
people just wanna belong, like always. picking an enemy makes you a friend of your enemys enemies.

>> No.2236558

It was pretty much just someone who branched out of your popular mascot platformers. Even in the 90s everyone including people who didn't like video games played Mario, Sonic, Crash etc.

>> No.2236563
File: 1.88 MB, 1200x900, DSC00660.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2230648
>would write all over manuals and eventually lose them as well

I actually like it when someone writes stuff in the notes section. It's like a little time capsule when I buy a game today and find stuff written in like 1991. Pic related gave me a big smile on my face when I saw it after getting the game in the mail last year.

>> No.2236574

>>2232186
My point was that what is considered casual nowadays existed even in the 3rd generation of consoles and Nintendo games were easy by hardcore standards, but doesn't mean they are bad or too easy, its just that it can be played by everyone

>> No.2236582

>>2230320
You may have played (or talked about) the game before owning it so you may not read the manual. Also, lots of generes of the era had simple control and you could expect a lot of overlapping in games of the same genere. Take shmups for example, you know you shoot, you may have a bomb and it three of four runs you may have not beat the first level but you surely figured the power ups already.

Manuals were more common in pc because:
1 you may need config information
2 the patform makes it possible to have slower and more complex games.
3 during the '90s the PC game case was big and a lot of devs/publishers were creative with it and had lots of little surprises and maybe some info you needed to advance at some point printed in the manual

>> No.2236592

>>2232292
I think that was natural as you usually operated thos machines via a basic prompt am I wrong? With the futuristic novelty computers were and having to interface with it with something that lets you program it no wonder how many homebrew coding those machines had. I remember when I was around 10 reading in a playstation magazine some guy was asking in a letter where some teams and people from that scene were and the magazine editor answered that a lot of that people formed or ended in dev studioa that were programming for th playstation among other stuff.

>> No.2237639

>>2236549
Some people just prefer cats or dogs and sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.