[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 204 KB, 1920x1080, Spaceship-Spacecraft-Vehicles-Sci-Fi-Space-Futuristic-Art-Widescreen-Resolutions.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2032973 No.2032973 [Reply] [Original]

I come in need of guidance, but I’m unsure if it's even a possible thing. Currently, I'm on a bit of a sci fi kick, and was wondering what (if any) retro games fit the bill of space exploration and such.

RPG, action, adventure, doesn't matter, just something that really captures that vibe of a bit, open, strange universe just waiting to be explored, and most likely kill you. I know some games hit on sci-fi bits now and then, but as far as full settings and exploration, it tends to either cyberpunk or fantasy pretty fast.

Anything fit the bill, or is the concept outside the scope of retro games? Do i need to just pipe down and go back to playing Star Control and various 4X galaxy builders?

>> No.2033132

>>2032973

rogue galaxy

Sorry anons but i had to do it.

>> No.2033137
File: 18 KB, 320x200, privater_133.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2032973
Wing Commander: Privateer? Sure it's a bit shallow but the elements are there.

>> No.2033941

Freespace 1 and 2
Homeworld 1 and 2

Not /vr/ but damned good game.
Freelancer and its mods.

>> No.2034138

>Azrael's Tear
Rpg-ish adventure
>Angel Devoid
>Hardline
Interactive movies with some on rails shooting. (for Hardline, try not to use any upscaling method)
>Alien Virus
Scifi adventure
>Bloodnet
Cyberpunk adventure (although personally, I didn't like it much)
>Bioforge
Action adventure, tank controls, seemed interesting for the few minutes I played it.
Those are some I have. I'll try and look around, see if I can find more.
These are all dos by the way.

Also check Omikron the Nomad Soul

>> No.2034298

Escape Velocity Nova.
Star Control 2: The Ur-Quan Masters.
Starflight 1 and 2.

>> No.2035486

>>2033137
The ascii remake is much better, if you are into that kind of thing. Really addictive.
http://www.asciisector.net/

>> No.2035510
File: 5 KB, 639x399, ascii.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2035486

>> No.2035514
File: 51 KB, 320x200, proto.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Protostar is a neat one; in a similar vein as Star Control 2 you must play with a notepad handy to write down travel coordinates as the game progresses.

>> No.2035535

>>2032973
Did you play Elite 2 and all the elite clones? There's so many of them, and they all include the exploration part in an open universe that you mentioned.

Also if you liked the "top down" view of star control you could try Solar Winds, but I don't think that aged too well. It's actually quite similar in gameplay.

>> No.2035568
File: 1021 KB, 292x319, 1371347901588.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2034298
Damn beat me to it
Escape Velocity Nova is great

Looking for something more current Id try StarSector.

StarSector has been in development forever but it offers some fun ship/fleet combat and customization

>> No.2035649

http://www.abandonia.com/is/games/27116/Alien+Legacy.html

Alien Legacy is an intriguing space strategy game designed by Joe Ybarra, who also designed the famous Starflight series. It's an excellent mix of resource management, exploration, and colony building, all wrapped in an involving, well-thought-out plot.

In 2043, humanity made first contact with an alien - and, unfortunately, hostile - civilization, the Centaurians. Faced with this overwhelming threat, humanity banded together under the banner of the United Nations and began pushing ahead in research to prepare for the coming interstellar war. One of the fruits of this research was the Bussard ramjet, which allowed ships to travel at relativistic speeds and reach the stars in a matter of decades.

In addition to the warships built by the United Nations, humanity also constructed seedships, interstellar arks carrying cryogenically frozen colonists to distant star systems, to spread the seeds of humanity into the stars in case the Centaurians conquered Earth. In 2119, the seedship UNS Calypso was launched to the distant Beta Caeli star system. A few years later, in 2135, the UNS Tantalus was launched towards the same destination. The Tantalus was much faster and was destined to reach Beta Caeli 21 years before the older Calypso.

You play as the captain of UNS Calypso. Arriving in the Beta Caeli system, you expect to find thriving colonies founded by the Tantalus' colonists. But something has gone horribly wrong, and no sign of any active colonies can be found. Your task is to colonize the Beta Caeli system, discover the fate of the Tantalus colonies, and avoid sharing that fate. You start the game with the Calypso, a few faster and smaller interplanetary spacecraft, some resources, and a bunch of robots and colonists at your disposal; more colonists will be awakened from cryo-sleep as the game progresses.

>> No.2036730

>>2032973
starflight, starflight 2
... oh someone already said that. not exactly fitting the bill , but the "mercenaries" version/expansions of mechwarrior 2, 3 and 4 are somewhat spaceexplory. mechwarrior 1 would fit more, but it's stupidly simple and buggy, and hard to get it to work with dosbox.

>> No.2036753

Armada
Armada 2

Dreamcast