[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 116 KB, 256x244, Chronocrossbox.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2028138 No.2028138 [Reply] [Original]

No one ever talks about this le gem.

Seriously though, everyone shits on it for "not being as good as Trigger" instead of just appreciating it for what it is. In my opinion it's just as good as Trigger and it has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time in an RPG.

Scars of Time, probably the most famous piece from this game -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J46RY4PU8a8

Dragon God Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sFiSb9SBOW0

Acacia Dragoon Knight Theme - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OM3vp9ROMGU

I just picked three that I liked, pretty much every track from the game is a masterpiece.

Aside from the soundtrack, it had some crazy themes of man versus nature and shit (the Dwarfs were fucking brutal), and the whole story about the Dragons and Fate and shit were amazing. I loved all of the side quests and the monster design.

>> No.2028150

>>2028138
I really liked it but the major flaw with the game is the characters. What they should have done was remove every unnecessary character and shorten it down to 6 to 8 playable characters. Kid/harle, Glenn/Razzy, (Three other people). Flesh them out and give them character development which we never got because lol 70+ characters. Maybe a little more added to it and make it something other than trigger. It worked as an independent story way better than a sequel.

>> No.2028152

Gems are unpopular games that are actually good. Chrono Cross is a popular game that's absolute garbage.

It is the literal opposite of a gem.

Protip: soundtracks != game

>> No.2028163

>>2028150
>>2028152
Maybe it's just my nostalgia speaking, but I never minded the overabundance of playable characters. It gives you a variety in who to fight as, and the actually important characters are fleshed out pretty well. Glenn, Fargo, Kid, General Viper, and Lucca all had very interesting backstories. I do agree that characters like Macha, Pip, the flower, and the radish were pretty useless, but most others had their own personalities.

>> No.2028173

>>2028138
I liked it a lot more than trigger honestly, and I enjoyed trigger.
Don't really care what people think of that opinion, it's the truth for me.

>> No.2028179

>>2028163
>the radish
I'm retarded, I meant the fungus guy.

>> No.2028184

>>2028163
>>2028150
I agree, I thought the characters were pretty well done. Better than CT and most RPGs. Obviously not every playable is well developed, but the viper clan, Fargo & irenes and family, and some others like korcha and kid were pretty well developed. What I like it's how the characters are really interconnected to each other, not just each one individually to the main character.

Chrono Cross kind of falls apart with the plot at some points. It gets really overblown and abstract and even kind of nonsense after you go to the dead sea. But it has an amazing aesthetic, and I really like the battle system. I prefer character driven stories over plot driven stories, and in the first half Chrono Cross shines.

>> No.2028198

>>2028163
The issue I had that there were very little plot arcs except for a few characters. Even then you didn't get to see any real resolution with Glenn if you had him in the party in Key points. There was stuff lacking. I really wish we had more time in the Sea of Eden because that place was probably the most interesting area in the game. We didn't even find out about Lynx until way after in a short paragraph. It wasn't as satisfying.

>> No.2028202

>>2028198
>Plot arcs
I mean character arcs.

>> No.2028216

Chrono Cross is a game you really have to throw yourself into fully to get anything out of it. People who find some minor sticking point about it won't be able to appreciate it - I can't even recommend that you play any other game while you're going through it.

The fact that it is comfy as shit help tremendously; also the foreshadowing/timeskip/whatever at the start definitely makes you want to figure out why Serge stabbed Kid.

>> No.2028218

>>2028138
>Scars of Time, probably the most famous piece from this game -
There are lots of decent tracks in Chrono Cross, but no famous ones.

For what it is, it's a game with game that borrows some simplified elements from SaGa games, and a very unnecessarily convoluted plot. It's just another example of 5th gen Square's writing at its worst. The thing is qite a mess, plot and script-wise.

>> No.2028220

>>2028218
Eh. I'd take Square's worst 5thgen righting over Squeenix' best.

>> No.2028236

>>2028220
... Writing man. I'm off right now.

>> No.2028239

>>2028220
Gee, so would I, but still.

>> No.2028243

>>2028239
Even at it's worst it still wasn't halfbad is my point. It had some ups and downs. It wasn't the best game made by them at the time but it honestly wasn't the worst. It needed a little more polish before being finished.

>> No.2028260 [DELETED] 

>>2028138
>No one ever talks about this le gem.
Are you new to /vr/? It's full of faggots who'll keep saying it's better than Trigger just because it's the first RPG they played and their tastes haven't matured in all these years.

>> No.2028313

>>2028138
>Seriously though, everyone shits on it for "not being as good as Trigger" instead of just appreciating it for what it is.
Okay, let's talk about it like it has nothing to do with CT.

Gameplay: Overdesigned and underutilized. It tries to be different from the mold but, due to a lack of difficulty and the wide but shallow character pool, is really quite boring. It bears the JRPG curse of most battles being confirm-mashing snoozefests but with the additional drawback of requiring you to mash it a lot more.

Story: A big heaping plate of undercooked spaghetti drenched in a sauce that manages to be both overwhelming and bland. It is unengaging from start to finish and creates an illusion of depth by throwing a lot of convoluted but ultimately banal nonsense at the player.

Graphics: Technically impressive, but I found the art style and direction to be aesthetically displeasing. Some of the character designs in particular are just wretched.

Music and Sound: The strongest part of the game, dragged down by the horrible battle music - which you'll be hearing a lot.

>> No.2028340

>>2028313
>art style and direction to be aesthetically displeasing

Eh, I found it somewhat better than CT only for the fact that it's a little more varied with its character designs. That said, it still wasn't Yuki's best design work.

>> No.2028375

>>2028340
>Okay, let's talk about it like it has nothing to do with CT.
>first reply brings up CT
If I tried, so can you

>> No.2028378

>>2028163
It's unforgivable really because you only have 3 cahracter slots. One of them needs to be Serge, and another needs to be someone with Steal, so you can only actually choose 1 character.

>> No.2028382

>>2028378
You went with Glenn because he was the coolest or if you were past that age because he was the second strongest after Surge with Double Einhanzer.

>> No.2028454

>>2028382
Well yeah, you'd take Glenn because he's the strongest of the rest. I used the guy with the gun before I got him back though.

>> No.2028460

>>2028138
>In my opinion it's just as good as Trigger
Gonna put out an unpopular opinion here and say it was better than Trigger.
>and it has one of the greatest soundtracks of all time in an RPG.
Everyone knows this.
>>2028313
>It is unengaging from start
Gonna disagree with this. Unlike a number of games, it throws you right in the action instead of bogging things down with an exposition dump, so by the time you get to controlling Serge alone you're interested in seeing what all that epilogue shit was about.

>> No.2028462

Aesthetically, this game is gorgeous. The battle system and story are both nigh incomprehensible but god damn if this game isn't a joy to play for whatever reason.

Trigger is my favorite game, though.

>> No.2028479

The weak link was the characters.

Too many characters and too many stupid characters = no development = kills the story

Still one of my favorites though. CT is better, but CT is also my favorite overall game.

>> No.2028546

I feel like the problem with having too many characters and not enough development for them would have been solved if they used a Legend Of Mana styled story/quest system.

>> No.2028785

>>2028378
>>2028382
>>2028454
Oh, and just to summarise this, so you have a game with 40+ playable characters but 80% of the people playing it only ever using Serge - Kid/Fargo - Glenn

Poor game design.

>> No.2028794

>>2028138
I hate people who talk shit about Chrono Cross. Every fucking time I hear someone talk about it they say its garbage. I dont understand how people can be so picky bitchy about this beautiful game. I agree it has a convoluted story but the music gameplay and visuals totally make up for the story.

>> No.2029089
File: 204 KB, 500x659, That feel when you're waifu rides on your back.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't mind me, just posting best girl.

>> No.2029105

>>2028794
>people don't like what I like
>wtf is wrong with them1?!!?1

that being said, I love this game and also enjoy the overabundance of characters.

>> No.2029362

Every character has more development than Marle. All 45 of them. Also individualism is a major theme of the game, the characters join you, but they don't do it to fight genericevilfromtheskies.

>> No.2029387

Great atmosphere, gorgeous graphics atmosphere and music.

Worthless uninteresting gameplay at its finest. By trying to catter to everyone with their no lvl up system, the result is a game that is piss easy, and a system in which the best action is to spamm attack3 all the time, so the battle system might as well no exist. There are only 2 bosses which are interesting, every other fight is worthless.

Convulated story with terrible storytelling (nothing followed by nothing during 30 hours, then suddenly a confusing 30mins long speech where everything is thrown at you)

Still worth playing for the atmosphere, graphics and music alone.

>> No.2029525 [DELETED] 

>>2028260
>it's the first RPG they played and their tastes haven't matured in all these years

Is that so.

>> No.2029536

Funny think about CC is that every character has development or a special scene (even joke characters), but, since you can only use 2 at a time, you'll never see most of them.

>> No.2029545

2 things I didn't like:

1. Shitting all over everything the player did in Chrono Trigger. Remember all those characters you loved in Trigger? Well. Now. They're. DEAD.

2. All the character collecting, especially with so many being binary choices. You either get the lanky red kid, or his mom. Repeat for the next 10 characters.

>> No.2029549

>>2028785
This. At least Suikoden rewarded you for picking up characters you never planned on using.

>> No.2029584

>>2029545
>1. Shitting all over everything the player did in Chrono Trigger.

I believe it retcons the story as well at some point. Either that or the writers just didn't bother to play the first game.

>> No.2029590

>>2029545
>>2029584
You guys did not understand the story.
I can't blame you though, like I said the storytelling is absolutely terrible and confusing.

In any case it doesn't shit or retcon on anything. It's a sequel, but that happens in a parallel dimension. Meaning that maybe everything is perfectly fine in the world of CT, you just don't know about it.

>> No.2029604

>>2029590
No it was something to do with how Lavos appeared and his link to humans. I don't remember exactly, I haven't played in a while.

>happens in a parallel dimension
kek

>> No.2029610
File: 216 KB, 480x640, Chrono cross35.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Fuck it, posting some art.

The game is turning 15 years old on November 18 by the way

>> No.2029615

>>2028138
Chrono Cross was the Evangelion of RPGs: it ran out of money and the story suffered as a result. Also the ending.

>>2029604
No bro, it was in a parallel. Basically the timeline was split when Lavos was killed, meaning in one everyone lived and in one everyone died.

>> No.2029616
File: 123 KB, 700x540, Chrono halloween2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2029610

>> No.2029625
File: 524 KB, 1000x669, Chrono cross12.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2029616

>> No.2029626

>>2028785
>Not using a triple tech combination
>never having a fun guy on your team

>> No.2029639

>>2029615
>Chrono Cross was the Evangelion of RPGs
Hmmm...

Also the writer was a former Gainax employee, and he was probably trying to match the success of his ex-colleagues, but of course he failed.

>> No.2029646

>>2029387
>the result is a game that is piss easy, and a system in which the best action is to spamm attack3 all the time
You just described most of the games in existence including Chrono Trigger. You can spam like a retard you are but you can also play tactically, manage your element slots and benefit from field status. You are the one from those shitters who probably never managed to paint the whole field in one color and use a summon followed by a barrage of same colored elements without being interrupted; never managed to cast power up/healing and benefit from their color; you also do not know how to build stamina and many other things. Cross battle system is complicated.

>> No.2029648

>>2028313
>unengaging from start to finish
The plot is pretty crap, but I don't feel this way. One thing CC is good at is feels. Very many sad feels. You keep wanting things to get better for the character and that's your drive it doesn't get any better. The clusterfuck of storytelling nearly works for it in some way because you're always about as uncertain of what the fuck is going on as the MC is. I say nearly because it's still shitty when you think about it and you're left unsatisfied, but still.

>aesthetically displeasing
I've yet to see something more pleasing to my eyes. The only reason I ever put this game down as liked in my book is because of the graphics.

>>2029639
I could believe it. The game's about as depressing, the few jokes or happy scenes in there are secrets.

>> No.2029660

>>2029648
>One thing CC is good at is feels. Very many sad feels
Oh damn, I couldn't agree more with this. I don't even like the game that much, but I will never deny I got heavy feels in some parts.
>You keep wanting things to get better for the character and that's your drive it doesn't get any better
Well, things actually do get better for MC and almost everyone by the conclusion. With one glaring exception.
>I could believe it. The game's about as depressing
That and I did notice a couple of eva-inspired things in the game as well, such as two characters which were very blatantly influenced by two of the eva characters.
>the few jokes or happy scenes in there are secrets
I loved some of the alternate endings, they were pretty amusing and refreshing. Like the one with Dark Serge and his gang walking into a bar and getting mugged. Comedy gold.

>> No.2029662

>>2029590
The story is easy enough to understand. Dropping the CT crew in to the game just to snuff them served no purpose except to say "look, we remember these characters! And now we killed them in this reality because we're edgy and Japanese!"

Hell, the methodology of time travel in Chrono Trigger was basically "Back to the Future" rules, where there is one reality, and changing something in the past affects the present and present elements that have time traveled. (Marle disappearing)

Chrono Cross changed that and basically went with infinite dimensions spawned by choices. That would have been fine, except they went out of their way to pull shit like Robo's personality chip holding what was left of the mother computer in Chronopolis at bay until Lynx showed up and fried him. Its only purpose in the story is "Hey, you should recognize this person. And now they're dead." The fact there are an infinite number of Robos in other dimensions which are all alive and well doesn't really matter, because that isn't the reality that is presented. The two dimensions explored in Cross used the Trigger characters as snuff material for no purpose other than shock value and name dropping.

>> No.2029689
File: 492 KB, 512x5000, Chrono cross9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2029706

>>2029615
Yeah I know they said it was in a 'parallel dimension'. It's a lazy, cop-out story device used when the original was never intended to have a sequal but was given one because of sales.

>Shit guys, we can't tie any of this bollocks into the original storyline
>I know, let's just say it happens in a parallel dimension!

>> No.2029763

>>2029662
>Dropping the CT crew in to the game just to snuff them served no purpose
They die if Serge lives, which brings back the Day of Lavos. They live if Serge dies, which makes that dimension the ideal, canon dimension you achieved in CT. They're vital to the plot, the entire point of the story is to sabe them without destroying Serge and the good things from "home" world.

>where there is one reality, and changing something in the past affects the present and present elements that have time traveled. (Marle disappearing)
Marle disappearing is a major plot hole in CT: every other time time traveller's have immunity from changes.

>Chrono Cross changed that and basically went with infinite dimensions spawned by choices.
No it didn't. Beyond RD references and a few musings, you only have three dimensions, and they are all influenced by Lavos and the Planet, which as CT showed can warp time and space.

Dimension 1: Lavos never falls -> Reptite world
Dimension 2: Lavos falls -> CT crew dead -> Day of Lavos
Dimension 3: Lavos falls -> CT crew lives -> "Ideal" future
BONUS: Dimension 4: Lavos falls -> Crono dies, crew lives -> Cronoless future (Radical Dreamers timeline)

This isn't just a made up concept by Cross; Trigger shows ALL these timelines/dimensions taking place.

If you look past your anger at the CT crew dying and realice that the story of CC is about undoing that, you may able to understand it better and appreciate it for what it is.

>> No.2029895

>>2028138
Lets face it, the main probem with chrono cross was that there was zero reason for it to be a chrono game. The battle system, style, gameplay, characters, story had virtually no aesthetic similar to chrono trigger.
Which made no god damn sense because chrono trigger had just a trove of topics to play with.
Hell, chrono trigger was so ripe with countless possible sequels that fans just started making sequels and they are actually pretty damn good.
So, it is a game whose whole purpose was lost

>> No.2029915

>>2029615
>the timeline was split when Lavos was killed, meaning in one everyone lived and in one everyone died.

Well yeah, because the ending for Trigger was a fucking time paradox. For a game in which the central premise is time travel they did a shit job of avoiding paradoxes.

>> No.2029926
File: 316 KB, 1200x850, Chrono cross4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2029939

Man, the Other World Guldove music is so good. Marbule too.

There aren't a lot of games with better soundtracks than CC to be honest.

>> No.2029941

Which ending, aside from True ending, is the best?

>> No.2030110

>parallel dimensions

Didn't Chrono DS confirm that it's the same timeline with the extra dungeons and stuff?

I for one just disregard Cross. It's a great game, but could've lived without the Chrono name. And Suikoden is much better when it comes to a huge ass party

>> No.2030239
File: 694 KB, 768x1024, Chrono cross2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2030280

This is another game I just couldn't get into. The farthest I've gotten is to the town that looks like a fort really early in the game and I just lose interest.

>> No.2030302

>>2030110
The new ending tries to hook it up with the sequels, but it doesn't really confirm anything else other than the Dream Devourer existing and Magus's memory. So it's still possible to be in a parallel dimension.

It's stupid, but so is cross's ending though I do actually like the game itself

>> No.2030305

>>2030302
I hate Cross's "True Ending".

I hate it so much.

Serge is a stupid faggot

>> No.2030309

>>2029941
Really any joke ending is better than the true ending. I'm not joking, the true ending was rather rushed (someone compared it to Eva, the situation was about the same at least). It ends up being a text crawl and then music video credits.

The developer room is my favorite though, it's neat that they were able to talk about things like the localization process.

>> No.2030336

>>2029763
>Dimension 1: Lavos never falls -> Reptite world
>Dimension 2: Lavos falls -> CT crew dead -> Day of Lavos
>Dimension 3: Lavos falls -> CT crew lives -> "Ideal" future
>BONUS: Dimension 4: Lavos falls -> Crono dies, crew lives -> Cronoless future (Radical Dreamers timeline)

That's a pretty silly explanation. The only dimensions that exist are the ones you observe? That's a pretty big and unprovable assertion.

The problem is Trigger's plot revolved around stopping an event from happening. Cross was chasing a Macguffin, chasing the same Macguffin in another dimension to get your body back, and then something about fighting a monster to save your companion. It invalidates everything you did in the previous game to try and puff up the current crisis, and ends up falling flat on its ass in the process.

A sequel that did that stuff right was Kingdom Hearts. Basically at the begining of 2, they acknowledge that you did something really great in 1, but that its not really going to impact everything you are going to do in that game because they still need have enemies to fight and something to do and all that.

>> No.2030501

>>2030336
>It invalidates everything you did in the previous game
No, Trigger did that on it's own. It's especially egregious in that they used the Grandfather Paradox as a plot point early on, and then forgot about it nearly immediately. Because the party found out about Lavos in the future, which ceased existing once Lavos was destroyed in 1999, the whole game invalidates itself. Cross was just cleaning up the mess that was the shit writing of Trigger.
>A sequel that did that stuff right was Kingdom Hearts.
Kingdom Hearts was bad, and Kingdom Hearts 2 was worse in nearly every way sans gameplay.

>> No.2030576

>>2030336
>That's a pretty silly explanation.
CT is a pretty silly game.

>The only dimensions that exist are the ones you observe?
They're the only dimensions that matter for the plot of both games. CT set this framework and CC works within it as well. Actually CC works within the CT framework to such an extent that the main antagonists/mcguffins are reskins of CT elements.

>That's a pretty big and unprovable assertion.
I'd think claiming there are INFINITE dimensions spawned from every little choice is the big and unprovable assertion. The ones I listed are the ones you can prove.

>It invalidates everything you did in the previous game
Why do people keep saying this? If CT hadn't happened, the entire setting of CC wouldn't exist. The main character's survival puts at risk what you fought for in CC, and yes, of course it's to add a compelling reason to go through the story, but it doesn't "invalidate" anything. The point of the game is to PREVENT anything from being invalidated. Did you play the game?

>A sequel that did that stuff right was Kingdom Hearts.
oh boy

>at the begining of 2, they acknowledge that you did something really great in 1
They do this in CC as well, and really in depth, just not at the beginning. They berate Serge for getting in the way of that something great.

Actually the fact that El Nido exists is a testament to that something great.

The only difference is that CC wasn't about Disney fanservice, and so a) you get the old crew wondering if what they did could ever be bad and b) you don't play as them, you play as someone new whose very existence is antagonistic to the previous game's achievement.

>> No.2030659

>>2029545
>Remember all those characters you loved in Trigger? Well. Now. They're. DEAD.

No. They're. NOT.

Cross exists in a dimension where Crono et al were killed trying to stop Lavos - which is not the same dimension as Trigger. If you want a game that kills off the Chrono Trigger cast you know and love, the PS/DS versions of CT can satisfy that requirement.

>Not enjoying character collecting
That's fine, but it certainly adds incentive to go through the game multiple times (as you should, this being a Chrono game). Most people don't get Glenn the first time they play as they typically opt to save Kid instead of giving up.

>> No.2030661

>>2030309
>Really any joke ending is better than the true ending
The joke endings are the best.
>it's neat that they were able to talk about things like the localization process
I played the original version, and then the localization. The localization was pretty fucking shit in comparison.

>> No.2030663
File: 627 KB, 900x630, Chrono cross18.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2030719

The battle system for CC has got to be one of the most annoying systems developed. They have this cool combo system, but 95% of the time the combo will be interrupted and you're left with doing one attack at a time. It defeats the purpose.

>> No.2030721

>>2030501

except for the marle paradox early on, which was a developer oversight, CTs time travel was consistent. the compendium worked out entire theories for it (time travelers immunity/time bastard)

>> No.2030732

Once, during a bit of unemployment fueled boredom, I set out to remake Chrono Cross as a CT romhack. I don't think I still have those notes and files, but I was cutting the playable characters to 6, cleaning the story up some, was going to try to enlist a decent sprite artist.

I never got past Opassa Beach with it...

>> No.2030783

>>2030721
>except for the marle paradox early on, which was a developer oversight, CTs time travel was consistent.
How do you figure? They go to the future(2200) and learn of Lavos there - which means EVERYTHING that happened afterwards wouldn't happen when they killed Lavos in 1999, because they would have traveled to a completely different future. It's a huge, massive, gaping, abyssal plot hole that as I recall is never addressed in game.

And how is Marle an oversight? The writers showed us "Hey guys, we get time travel and paradoxes" and then later screwed the pooch in the worst way possible by creating the very same paradox.

The things you are saying, they don't make a lick of goddamn sense.

>> No.2030805

>>2030783

but they do make sense. the marle paradox was an early idea that was abandoned, and left in by dev oversight. as I mentioned, the chrono compendium figured it all out. the idea is that time travelers are personally immune to the changes they create. that way you can't go back in time and prevent yourself from being born. that also means that you can remember timelines which no longer exist due to your changes.

>> No.2030816

>>2030783
Whenever you make a game about time travel it's pretty much guaranteed to be one huge clusterfuck littered with plot holes and paradoxes.

>> No.2030823
File: 17 KB, 318x223, 12.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The great debate

Is his name pronunced Serge like "Surge cola" or is it pronounced "Sir Gay?"

>> No.2030824

>>2030823
Se-ru-ju

>> No.2030827
File: 38 KB, 300x400, Woll_Smoth_original.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2030824
>seruju

>> No.2030835

>>2030805

That's a pretty decent sized chunk of game to leave in by accident

>> No.2030839

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbZv41tBwzU

This fandub is pretty fucking good. Kid's voice is spot-on.

>> No.2030845

>>2030835

all I can think of is that they were figuring it out as they went along, completed the first 600 ad chapter before the rest of the plot, and didn't go back and change it for whatever reason. I'm aware that multiple people worked on CT, and sometimes they had conflicting visions.

>> No.2030850
File: 420 KB, 640x360, dance.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2030862

>>2030805
>the marle paradox was an early idea that was abandoned, and left in by dev oversight.
...but if it wasn't left in IT WOULDN'T MAKE SENSE.
>the idea is that time travelers are personally immune to the changes they create.
That's fucking retarded. If that's the "official" explanation then the writers are even more shit than I thought they were.

BTW, this shit tier explanation doesn't explain why the Marle paradox would be cut, as the absence of her ancestor will still cause her to cease to exist.

What a fucking load.

>> No.2030881

>>2030862
>...but if it wasn't left in IT WOULDN'T MAKE SENSE.
not sure what you mean. my idea is that marle wouldn't disappear, but mucking around back then would wreck the present, and then you'd have to save the queen to restore the present day. then the 600 ad mission would make sense without a grandfather paradox.

>That's fucking retarded. If that's the "official" explanation then the writers are even more shit than I thought they were.
I can't speak to it being official, since it's a fan consensus explanation. but it makes perfect sense. you travel through time, discarding timelines along the way. once you defeat magus, how would you have heard of him from heckran when the mystics are now worshipping ozzie? etc. the only way it makes sense is if the time travelers are personally immune.

>BTW, this shit tier explanation doesn't explain why the Marle paradox would be cut, as the absence of her ancestor will still cause her to cease to exist.

it wouldn't, because she traveled through time. even if she weren't born in the new timeline, it wouldn't matter because she was born in the other timeline that is now discarded.

>> No.2030905

>>2030881
>then the 600 ad mission would make sense without a grandfather paradox.
How does
>ancestor does not procreate but descendent still exists
in any way make sense? Proptip: it doesn't.
>since it's a fan consensus explanation.
That explains why it's so utterly stupid.
>but it makes perfect sense.
It makes zero sense. There is no rhyme or reason to it - by what logic are they immune to the effects of time travel? Where did this immunity come from? DON'T FUCKING SAY IT'S BECAUSE THEY TRAVELED THROUGH TIME. FUCK YOU THAT'S LAZY WRITING.
>it wouldn't, because she traveled through time. even if she weren't born in the new timeline, it wouldn't matter because she was born in the other timeline that is now discarded.
No, that still makes NO SENSE unless we assume both timelines still exist. But the Marle segment with grandfather paradox contradicts that, and canon trump fanwank.
>meant to be cut
I want to see some proof and not rampant fan speculation meant to tie up loose ends of shitty writers.

>> No.2030943

>>2030905
>by what logic are they immune to the effects of time travel? Where did this immunity come from? DON'T FUCKING SAY IT'S BECAUSE THEY TRAVELED THROUGH TIME. FUCK YOU THAT'S LAZY WRITING.
I'm not sure exactly why they're immune to time travel, but the fact that they are rationally explains why their adventure is possible.

>No, that still makes NO SENSE unless we assume both timelines still exist. But the Marle segment with grandfather paradox contradicts that, and canon trump fanwank.
I believe there's a line in chrono cross that backs the idea that timelines get discarded due to changes.
marle's grandfather paradox does in fact contradict the rest of the game, which leads to speculation that it was an oversight.
even if Marle's timeline disappeared, as a time traveler she's still immune to this.

>I want to see some proof and not rampant fan speculation meant to tie up loose ends of shitty writers.
my only proof is reasoning. the marle paradox doesn't fit the rest of the game, and it's in the first chapter which is like a prequel before the game focuses on Lavos. it follows that it was a mistake and a contradiction during development.

the game doesn't explicitly explain time traveler's immunity, but it does tie up loose ends.

>> No.2030949

>>2030943
>it follows that it was a mistake and a contradiction during development.
Or that the game was made by a bunch of hack writers.

>> No.2030951

Razzly best girl.

>> No.2030965

>>2030949

CT is one of my personal favorites, but this is a flaw. and it could've been more cohesive.

>> No.2030972

>>2030951
Wrong.

>> No.2030985

>>2030965
What's worse is how easily such a massive plot hole could have been avoided. Instead of traveling directly to the future of learning of Lavos there, they could have traveled to the day Lavos appeared and learned of him then, fled, and then gone to the future to see if they could learn more about it and how to destroy it.

Bam, paradox avoided.

>> No.2030992

>>2030943
>even if Marle's timeline disappeared, as a time traveler she's still immune to this.
What about Robo? In the ending Lucca is concerned about Robo not existing in the new timeline they've created. Everyone acts as if Robo could disappear, but ONLY after he travels back to his time and the gate closes, as if having Robo staying in some other timeline makes him immune to paradox and changes.

>>2030905
>FUCK YOU THAT'S LAZY WRITING.
Calm down, this isn't /v/. Remember that you're talking about CT, a light hearted time travelling, fun-loving cliché fest. Of course it has lazy writing, stop acting as if this is an Asimov book.

>> No.2030996

>>2030280
I feel you.
Literally nothing about it grabs me.

>> No.2030998
File: 813 KB, 1450x1221, Chrono cross8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.2031006

>>2030992
Yeah, it's like complaining about time travel paradoxes in the Terminator movies. Nobody cares about that, they're there to see Arnie blow shit up.

>> No.2031007

>>2030992
>Remember that you're talking about CT, a light hearted time travelling, fun-loving cliché fest. Of course it has lazy writing,
>:( I'm enjoying my anger, you can't tell me what to do.

Really, it just rubs me the wrong way how everyone talks about how great it is, but it's just a mess of cliches, shit writing, and boring crap.

>> No.2031020

>>2030992
>Robo

honestly, I think the devs followed the principle of time traveler's immunity because it's convenient and makes sense. it's the logical way to go through the game, unless you want to chop through clusters of paradoxes with a machete. they probably didn't think it through.

>Calm down, this isn't /v/. Remember that you're talking about CT, a light hearted time travelling, fun-loving cliché fest. Of course it has lazy writing, stop acting as if this is an Asimov book.

indeed, CT is a time traveling cartoon with some interesting ideas in it. and it IS a video game - you can't expect top notch writing and characterization.

off topic: the Foundation trilogy are among my favorite books of all time.

>> No.2031026

I don't know what's going on in this thread anymore.

>> No.2031029

>>2031020
>and it IS a video game - you can't expect top notch writing and characterization.
I hate people like you.
>It's just a video game, the writing doesn't have to be good!
Excuses for poor work does not make the work better.

>> No.2031039

>>2031029

I'm not saying video games can't be art. it's just that the genre is usually focused more on making things fun than creating works of art or brilliant storytelling. personally I think stuff like ff4, ff6, earthbound, etc. qualify as art. it's just that they're often not held to a high standard.

>> No.2031113

>>2028138
>>/v/

>> No.2031116

>>2031113
NO U

>> No.2031206

>>2031113
/v/'s never heard of any 5th gen games

>> No.2031215

>>2031039
>focused more on making things fun than creating works of art or brilliant storytelling
The fun is part of the artfulness. All games are art, though some are just bad art.