[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 379 KB, 600x856, 600full-king's-quest-collection-cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1655845 No.1655845[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

So how does /vr/ feel about the king's quest series?

>> No.1655876

>>1655845
I loved them when I was little. Admittedly, the games were less puzzle-solving adventure games and more "randomly clicking on inventory items and hoping something works."

I was always a bigger fan of the Quest for Glory series, though. Cool marriage of action-RPG with adventure game. And of course Space Quest and Monkey Island are more enjoyable to play through nowadays because I still like the humor, while KQ feels rather flat now (with the exception being KQ6, which I still feel is an excellent adventure game).

>> No.1655892

>>1655876
Op here, I feel the same as you about the KQ series. I need to try the other games though, I really wanna play quest for glory. Although I think KQ 3,5,6 are the best.

>> No.1655894

KQ7 was the first game I owned. It came with our first computer. So I loved it, played the shit out of it. Looking back, I can see that its not a very good game, but the nostalgia still makes it have a special part of my heart.

>> No.1655907
File: 4 KB, 320x200, KQ1PCJR2.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1655876
Yeah it seems like KQ is more "generic" fantasy, and a lot of games have gone that route since then, so it's not as fresh. I think it's still worth playing though, if you're into retro. I tend to run everything in SCUMMVM using the Amiga versions, but it was fun to check out the pc-booter KQ1 in dosbox with -machine pcjr (that's what the game was originally developed for).

>> No.1655925

>>1655876
>randomly clicking on inventory items

You're thinking of LucasArts.

The King's Quest series is more hallmarked by going everywhere/doing everything and dying inexplicably 99% of the time.

>> No.1655928

King's Quest 6 is an absolute classic and must play for anyone interested in adventure games.

I have a soft spot for 4 and 5, although 5 is on of the most infuriating games ever.

Agree with another poster that Quest for Glory is far and away the best Sierra adventure series. Beats KQ by a mile although it never seemed to get the same press

>> No.1656163

>>1655928
Iv never played 4, should i?

>> No.1656168

inb4 retsupurae jokes

>> No.1656206

>>1656163
If you have already played 5 and 6, yeah I think it's worthwhile. Haven't played 2 and 3 so I can't comment on them.

6 is really the only essential one imo

>> No.1656452

>>1656206
op here, yeah 6 is really great, if you play the fan update of 3 its a lot better imo.

>> No.1656461

>>1656168
The Dr. Jollo bit had me in stitches.

>> No.1656485

Roberta Williams does not belong anywhere near anything creative

>> No.1656494

2 & 6 are the most sane with puzzle choices. You can figure out most of 6 puzzles and it makes most situations clear.
5 had some of the worst puzzles almost on the same level as the lucsarts Sam & Max game.

>> No.1657748

6 is the only good one
7 is an abominations
8 doesn't exist.
The Silver Lining is fanwank.

>> No.1657752

>>1655876
speaking of quest of glory, it's so weird, i found the old QFG4 disc in my old stuff, so i put it in and started playing it (thanks, dosbox), but here's the thing: i DISTINCTLY remember that the game started inside a town, where you buy a room in the hotel and stuff and only then you go out and fight shit. yet when the game started i was in some cave having to do all kind of shit before i ever reached a town. I don't remember having to do any of this. So what game was i thinking of? i'm pretty sure it was this game.

>> No.1657769

>>1656494
>5 had some of the worst puzzles almost on the same level as the lucsarts Sam & Max game.

And even worse because you can actually get stuck forever if you forget to pick some item.

>> No.1657879

6 is the only one I ever played... looks like it was the right one.

The catacombs scared me a lot as a kid.

>> No.1657882

>>1656494
>2 & 6 are the most sane with puzzle choices
Alien logic involving Greek Mythology and a snake.

>> No.1657902

>>1655845

I like Quest for Glory much more.

>> No.1657903

>>1657752

nope, QFG4 always started in dark one's cave. You're summoned there at end of QFG3

Maybe you're mistaking it for QFG 1 which starts in front of spielburg village or QFG 3 which starts in city of Tarna

>> No.1657912

Kings Quest 7 was about as good as someone taking a dump on your chest

>> No.1657917

Remember, the answer is Ifnkvohgroghprm.

>> No.1657952

You know, as a kid I kinda liked point&click games, the obvious famous ones like Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island or the Indiana Jones. Despite the bullshit puzzles and not being very good at them, I still enjoyed them somehow.

But King Quest V is what made me really loathe the genre. The puzzles in that game are just a big "fuck you", they're not smart or anything, it literaly is the worst flows of that genre all put together like completely senseless puzzles that have try everything combinaison possible to find the answer because none of it makes any goddamn sense.

I mean, when the game have you LITERALY look for a needle in a haystack, you realize the devs were having fun making money of the biggest "FUCK YOU"s they could come up with.

>> No.1657961

Played every single frickin one. My Dad played them all the time when I was growing up, and I used to sit next to him while we tried to figure shit out. I couldn't have been older than 8 so I probably was absolutely no help. Good memories, man. He was really into adventure games (specifically Sierra) when he was in his thirties. This was before the internet, so when you couldn't figure out how to solve a puzzle, or where stumped on where to go next, did you guys know there was this hotline you would call? It was set up by Sierra for their adventure games I believe. The call would cost about 75cents a minute so you wanted to get through it as quick as possible, and it was a series of automated question and response machine things. Like "where are you in the game? Press 1 for At the Tavern. Press 2 for At Mordacks castle" and so on. You'd have to go through those menus until you found what puzzle you were at...and even then it was only a hint, lol. I think it's pretty cool. I should post the images someday here of his collection of adventure games. He's got everything cib, most have dozens of them. Everything from Heart of China to Freddie Farkas: Frontier Pharmacist. But I'm getting off topic.

I love the King's Quest games. I bought the image in the OP pic for my Dad and we played thru the first one again. OP, if you don't already know, stay away from KQ8 like the plague. I enjoyed it, but it's just...not King's Quest. At all.

>> No.1658000

>>1657769

im pretty sure there were some places in KQ6 you could perma-fuck yourself if you dont get some items? i seem to remember you might could miss some shit and get fucked in the catacombs or something.

>> No.1658007

>>1658000
well yea, but the game doesn't put you in the catacombs automatically unless you have all the right items. if you don't, alexander says he's not ready to go. of course, you can still go without the right items if you insist, but at least the game gave you a fair warning.

>> No.1658018

>>1658007

ah, ok. it's been a while since ive played through it, didn't remember them giving any warnings about it. i was probably just used to getting fucked automatically through the other KQ games that i didn't think of them giving you 2nd chances to go back.

also them trips >>1658000

>> No.1658024

>>1657917
Fuck that puzzle. God damn. Why? Who thought that was a good idea? I want to shoot them.

>> No.1658249

it took me 2 years to finish king's quest 6.
amazing how much fun it was not having the internet to ruin everything.

>> No.1658258
File: 51 KB, 800x1200, 1391492983759.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>family buys shitty Compaq computer back in the day
>came with a free copy of King's Quest VII
>computer can barely even run it even though it was fucking bundled with it
>playing one day
>computer freezes
>don't know what to do, tell parents
>HOLY FUCK ANON YOU BROKE THE COMPUTER OH GOD WHAT DO WE DO
>they call tech support
>tech support tells them to turn the computer off and back on
>WHAT NO THAT WILL BREAK THE COMPUTER EVEN MORE YOU CAN'T TURN IT OFF UNTIL YOU GET THE SCREEN THAT TELLS YOU IT'S SAFE TO TURN YOUR COMPUTER OFF
>they eventually convince my parents to just try it
>computer turns back on just fine
>ANON WE FORBID YOU FROM EVER PLAYING THAT GAME AGAIN
>play it anyways since I now know the trick to fix the computer if it freezes again

>> No.1658274

>>1658258
you sound like a family of retards.

>> No.1658283

>>1658258
>his first kq was VII

i feel so bad for you.

>> No.1658284

>>1658274
no, just british

>> No.1658293

>>1658284
oh, god, it reminds of brits coming to support forums asking if a certain game will work on a 'british computer". apparently you guys think that pcs have region locks?

>> No.1658305

>>1658293
Not region locked exactly, but some older PCs did have regional differences that affected software compatibility.

>> No.1658519

>>1657961
Op here, Yeah 8 never happened so no worries there. I got into these from my grandmother with kq6, Camelot, and a lot of those point and click kids games (I still count them as point and click games even though they are more educational) I love this genre and I am happy to see a return of it.

>> No.1658824

I once typed "swim" in the middle of the forest in KQ2 and literally drowned. I don't know if it was a bug or easter egg but it was the same type of drowning death if you went too far in the ocean

>> No.1658880

> genie getting drunk on Mintz
> ish a magic map
> dat hole in the wall
> dat climb up the rock face... don't look down nigga!
> LOVE

>> No.1659097

>>1656494
>2 & 6 are the most sane with puzzle choices.

except for throwing the bridle on the snake. why would anyone do that?

>> No.1659098

>>1658258
that shitty game.

on my shitty NEC 33 MHz machine, KQ VII would regularly slow *way* the hell down in certain sequences, including - infuriatingly - the final showdown with the villain. also, the first version we had would crash altogether in chapter 5 when you have to retrieve a bone from a mummy due to a sound causing a fatal error.

>> No.1659110

KQ3 was probably what got me really interested in gaming when I was just getting old enough to understand and use computers. my family didn't have one, but my grandma did and we had great fun playing with my cousins and such. that computer was ancient too; it was dos and the game used 5 inch floppies