[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 50 KB, 1010x1010, vr plays tf2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1636407 No.1636407[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

>I think the first Zelda game is also the best one. It's the purest version of the game's original concept. No intricate puzzles because the game focuses on exploration and combat. The fun comes from exploring and fighting through dungeons and feels more adventurous because of it. I especially love how the game starts you off in the middle of nowhere and you're just expected to find your way around. It's an adventure game in the greatest sense because imagination fills in the gaps while retaining all the challenge and game design you should expect.

>I think Sonic the Hedgehog 1 is the best Sonic game. It's not about speed, it's about controlling momentum. Level design never feels cluttered like it does in Sonic 3, and it's not as easy as Sonic 2. I love Marble Zone. Only thing is that the bosses are a little lame. Final boss is disappointing, though the real final challenge is the Scrap Brain Zone.

>I like Chrono Cross more than Chrono Trigger. CT was more of a traditonal story that took no risks. It was Back to the Future. CC really nailed the complexity that comes with having parallel dimensions. Also, the battle system was great and eliminated the need for any grinding with its Star system.

>> No.1636415

Who are you quoting?

>> No.1636417

>>1636415

Abe Lincoln.

>> No.1636418

I think you'll find quite a lot of people who agree with the first one. Here's a more controversial phrasing of it: the 3D games have more in common with the CDi games than they do with the original Zelda.

>> No.1636421

>>1636418
>the 3D games have more in common with the CDi games than they do with the original Zelda.

Well, TECHNICALLY speaking that might actually be true.

But it's not really a good comparison to make since the primary issue with the CDi games is the lack of quality of polish. It's an incidental comparison, and while it may be true it doesn't really have any significance.

>> No.1636427
File: 255 KB, 500x696, tfw no crossdressing pirate waifu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

FFV is the best game in the series. The job system makes the combat by far the best among the classic FFs, and the plot is not that bad as people who have only heard about V from Dissidia claim. It did story different from other plot-based FFs, less dark and more shonen-esque, but its not a joke game and the story is not far behind from other "crystal" games.

FFIV was in contrast a bad game. Going with cinematic over substance before it was cool. People are just nostalgic for it to not see that it's as bog standard of a game as it gets even for FF, and how it loves to take away the characters and levels from your party at will just shows how none of your decisions matter - only the story does. The story is nice but the game offers little aside from it. Not a fan, and the nostalgia-fueled fawning over the installment is largely undeserved.

FF2 isn't bad, it just hasn't aged well. People don't bash say, Wizardry for downright sadistic dungeon designs, they say "that's how hardcore old games were". FF2 is one of those games, people just look at it from a modern perspective instead of a 1988 perspective. The stats system for all its imbalance was fresh and not that bad for the time either. Also it was a 1988 game with a plot more complicated than "WERDNA stole the AMULET! Defeat WERDNA and recover the AMULET!"

>> No.1636430

>>1636427

I agree with all of these opinions.

FFII and FFV are the best games in the series.

>> No.1636431

>>1636407
See >>1627135

>> No.1636442

>>1636407

Quake 1 used mouse+keyboard and it's a /vr/ game.
Stop stupidizing /vr/, it should be more like cranky kong, not some goofball who says "rad" every 10 seconds.

>> No.1636462

>>1636442
/vr/-tan is long established. If you want him to be deeper, draw him.

>> No.1636464

I still call it Dragon Warrior. It has been Warrior for me and nothing seems that will change my mind

If people were interested about modding the games they love, they wouldn't run out of topics when someone creates a thread about 'em. Just look at the aftermath of Doom being a game DESIGNED and MEANT to be modded since its very conception.

The only thing the devs intended was to get their pay by the sales of their work.

Goal!! Two > Goal