[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 52 KB, 500x349, Kirby64_box.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1602996 No.1602996[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What are your thoughts on Crystal Shards? I decided to go back and play it and wow is it charming. Some of the levels are so beautiful and stunning, like the autumn forest, or the river in the woods. I'm not crazy about the control though, it feels kinda stingy and makes the bosses not that fun.

Oh yeah, and I thought my game was broken for several minutes until I realized I needed to use the control pad.

>> No.1603010

It's not as good as Dream Land 3 but the power combinations is a cool concept.

>> No.1603018

It's one of those games I can't stand playing nowadays because it's so ridiculously slow paced, but I'm glad I grew up with it and enjoyed it when I did. I wish I could go back to it but I'll always have my memories. Especially of the multiplayer. I still have the box and instructions and everything, too.

Either way I still say it has the best soundtrack of the whole series.

>> No.1603040

I love it.
But looking at it with reality eyes, it was too slow paced and easy (baby friendly)

>> No.1603049

>>1603040
>easy (baby friendly)
Kirby always has been.

>> No.1603060

>I'm not crazy about the control though.
Have you tried using the d-pad? This is one of the few N64 games that lets you use the d-pad.

>> No.1603082

The gameplay itself was kind of slow, and while some of the bosses were really fun, I was a little bugged how the true final boss basically said "Ok, here's a brand new mechanic for this fight that you will never use ever again".

But the power combination element was downright inspiring, and I seriously wish more Kirby games gave players that option. A faster-paced Kirby game where the player is given a small selection of powers to mix and match to create unique solutions to problems the game presents them with...that is an ideal game for me.

The visuals of Crystal Shards are gorgeous, even today. I love the variety in the different worlds, and I really love the design of all the bosses, 02 especially. The music was fun to listen to as well, everything I would expect out of a Kirby game.

>> No.1603101

Loved it as a kid. Looking back now, I feel like most of the game's pros are in its amazingly charming aesthetics and it's one of the weaker Kirby games gameplay wise.
The combining thing was cool, and I do want to see them bring it back, but it kind of got a little overly complicated for a Kirby game. Mostly just in the throwing mechanics. I remember always pressing the wrong C buttons trying to throw or swallow an ability star just to chuck it off into the distance. My friends did the same thing, too. And did you ever realize that you can hold the umbrella guys over your head to float, or hold the volcano guys over you and walk under enemies to shoot at them? There were a few other enemies who did stuff too. It was really goddamn cool, but it was unnecessary and never at all utilized in the game.
But the music is awesome and the level design is very memorable. The puzzles are cool too. I kinda think making every single copy ability available in level two ruined the mysticism of finding something new since none of them were at all elusive, nothing like the classic one time use abilities (eg chef/mic/crash) or the UFO in Amazing Mirror, but I sure did take advantage of it as a kid. Fridge OP, though I typically used other ones because they looked cooler and felt better.

>> No.1603565

I had this game, when I was a kid. A lot of people praise it but it never clicked with me. I didn't enjoy it. That's why I have never beaten it. Is there anything wrong with me?
Though, the power combination was a neat feature.

>> No.1603587

>>1603565
Have you played any other Kirby games?

>> No.1603598

>>1603587
I did. I was a huge fan and got to play every other game and enjoyed them thoroughly.

>> No.1603619

When I first got this game back in the day, I was clearly disappointed that it was a step down from Kirby Super Star. Crystal Shards was short and too damn easy. I did like the power-combining mechanic and the little color-coded barriers that required specific power combos to break, though.

I always wondered why the game even gave Kirby the ability to run when he pretty much moved at the same damn speed when he was walking.

>> No.1604490

Hated it then and still hate it now. Too short, too easy, and worst of all TOO SLOW. Crystal Shards remains for me the defining moment when the series went straight down the drain.

>> No.1604561

>>1603082
>I was a little bugged how the true final boss basically said "Ok, here's a brand new mechanic for this fight that you will never use ever again".

Welcome to Kirby.

>> No.1604642

The ability combination was great. Kind of wish it was featured in more Kirby games

>> No.1604931

>>1602996
It was decent, but it was too short and had too few abilties/moves. There was nothing really bad about it per se.

>> No.1605047 [SPOILER] 
File: 231 KB, 930x679, 1399500900590.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

great music, beautiful levels, cute and simple enemy design, the copy combination mechanic is fun and interesting, fairly challenging if you want to get all the crystal shards, and has my favorite final boss and final boss music of any videogame ever

yeah, it's an alright game.

will kirby games ever go back to having disturbing secret final bosses?

>> No.1605094

It has some nice, cutesy graphics and a great soundtrack. Item combinations are a ton of fun and at a lot of playability to the game. It is slow paced however, and too easy even by Kirby standards. However, the mini games are a blast at parties, my and my friends once spent hours on the third one with the dropping blocks.
All in all a good, relaxing fun game.

>> No.1605106

I wish they would bring back the two powers mechanics. I have no idea why they got rid of it. I guess my opinion is bias since it is one the first kirby games i remember.

>> No.1605121

In middle school art class we had to draw designs on our portfolio folders at the beginning of the year. I had just beat this game at the end of summer vacation. I think there were 2D stills or something during the credits. I have no idea, but I remember painting the artist kid from this game on my folder. I remember it turning out well. Anyway, I loved this game back then. Haven't played it since but now I want to pick it up.

Wasn't there a good ending/bad ending? I seem to remember this.

>> No.1605123

i really love this game, its gotta be my all time favorite kirby game and up on the top 5 best games ive ever played. this is just a comfy game to play, its really easy to beat. on the other hand to 100% the game you have to try a little bit but its not extremely hard to figure out the patterns and secrets to get all the shards.
in my book not every game has to be ball bustingly hard to get a "secret" or "better" ending and that whats charming about this game. i feel like this is a perfect first game because of how great it teaches basic gaming mechanics and secrets.

>> No.1605130

>>1603082
>He never played the final boss of Kirby's Adventure

Anyway, Crystal Shards is one of my favorite Kirby games, not because it's this masterpiece of design or anything but because its central focus- combo powers- is so well-done that you can't help but love it. The music and level design is top-notch, and though it's a bit of a slow game that was kind of a staple of N64 games- Zelda aside. I think it could have used a bit more content, as it is pretty short, but it's still clever and fun as hell.

>> No.1605161
File: 181 KB, 1000x966, 1288b239d8fd0b4f51b0e466b440d066.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BfvrlZQW9s

>> No.1605205

>>1605094
I fuckin love the minigames.

>> No.1605323

>>1605205
The minigames were amazing.
I bought the Kirby anniversary collection and me and my friend were chilling playing some Kirby 64. We both shit our pants on the mini game with the falling blocks. We both thought it was a standard don't stand on the rumbling block game, but no. Then, we got 2 other friends and had a tourney for hours, filled with swearing and laughter. Easily the best time I had playing video games.

>> No.1605347

>>1605121
It's more like a secret true ending. You have to collect all the crystals.

>> No.1605383

>>1602996

dat forest autumn level, I think was the second one.

It was just peacefully beautiful.

>> No.1605432

I enjoyed the gameplay and most of the levels. Definitely had a charming atmosphere and some cool abilities. The final boss creeps me out a little for some reason though.