[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 79 KB, 640x766, duke-nukem-3d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1585629 No.1585629[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

General Duke3D thread

Why was Duke 3D so great?

Why did Duke Forever take so long and who's to blame for it sucking so much ass?

What would you change?

Is it true another game is in the works?

>> No.1585638

>>1585629
>and who's to blame for it sucking so much ass?

Everyone involved with the project at any point.

>> No.1585841

I'm not sure if I prefer this or Shadow Warrior, but the jetpack's something that ought to make a comeback.

>> No.1585852

Playing the vanilla maps from a pistol start, I've come to appreciate Ep 2: Lunar Apocalypse a lot more. There are still too many sentry drones (even if you get them to blow themselves up against a door or something, it still takes time), and Occupied Territory can fuck right off with all those battlelords, but it has some creative levels like Fusion Station that's a big vertical climb up that central tower structure. Lunar Reactor is like a proto-Half Life that takes you on a little behind the scenes tour of the facility.

It's still not my favorite episode, but it's cool.

>> No.1585870

finally got around to playing community made Duke maps and man, some of them are really great

my favorite so far is RCPD, just one big building with tons of interconnections and alternate routes, I hope I can find more maps like this

I have played some other good city maps like the Roch series and WGCity but I really liked how RCPD was mostly one building, like the theater in original Duke but turned up to 11

>> No.1585880
File: 144 KB, 1024x575, duke caribbean.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Why was Duke 3D so great?
The level design, the fun ass weapons, the humor, the pop culture references, and the fact that Duke was a walking 80s machismo action movie cliche. Nothing like this had been done before, which is why it was a hit.

>> No.1585937

>>1585852
>Fusion Station that's a big vertical climb up that central tower structure.
If you don't do a pistol start and still have a jetpack from previous levels, you can fly up to the exit and finish the map in less than 30 seconds

>>1585870
>finally got around to playing community made Duke maps and man, some of them are really great

Which ones? My favourites are CBP5 and JFCBP2. They are the most consistent imo. Suburban Hive 1 and 2 are also pretty good.

>> No.1586329

>>1585937
I've been playing through "The Gate" and its been great. Although some of the levels are uneven, all of them are at the very least fun. I'm at the end of episode 4 and its hard as fuck.

And I find Shadow Warrior is to be just as good, if not better than Duke. Just my opinion though.

>> No.1586443

>>1585937
I've mostly played the fancier flashier ones so far like Roch series, WGRealms, It's Alive, etc. but like I said my favorite is RCPD and I am looking for more in that interconnected vanilla-ish style.

I did play Metropolitan Mayhem a while ago which I believe you recommended in another thread, those were fast and clean, fun to blast through quickly

>> No.1586468

>>1586329
I think the mapping in Shadow Warrior is pretty good, but the mechanics are just too uneven for me to rank it above Duke or Blood. Stuff like how the grenade launcher is so much more powerful than the other explosives and how the shadow ninjas are way more dangerous than the other enemies make it feel like a grab bag of features they didn't test thoroughly. Definitely worth playing if you can't get enough Build though.

>> No.1586497
File: 258 KB, 800x640, hotmincer1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1586443
> I am looking for more in that interconnected vanilla-ish style.

You can try Razorz's maps, they were praised for their interconnectedness.
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotrez3.php
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotrez2.php
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotrez.php

The author of RCPD also did a couple of other maps. The problem is that due to an insane use of new (non optimized) eduke32 effects in his maps, you'll need a high end PC to have a decent framerate (what an irony for a duke3D map...). The map Entrapped still had framerate issues at times on my high end PC...
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotbrooklyn.php
http://msdn.duke4.net/hotentrapped.php

>> No.1586509
File: 109 KB, 1024x768, dm8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1586329
>And I find Shadow Warrior is to be just as good, if not better than Duke. Just my opinion though.

I completely understand that. I genuinely believe that Shadow Warrior has the most fun deathmatch of any FPS ever.

>>1586468
Regarding grenade launcher use, and basically anything in the game anyway, things are a lot more even if you play each map on a katana/stars start. Otherwise you'll always be running around blasting everything with a full OP arsenal at all times. Doing every map with a katana/stars start makes you use all weapons sparingly and in a smart way, and teaches you useful the items actually are EVEN in SP.

>> No.1586537

>>1586497
newfag here, do any of those work with vanilla, so it can play in dosbox? That eduke32 thing doesn't work so good on my system.
Or any other really great vanilla stuff?

>> No.1586562

>>1586537
Most duke3D usermaps work in vanilla, but quite a lot of newer maps (basically since 2006 and on) don't because they make use of sourceports ability to create maps that double the ressources limit of the original game; but those would be playable in jonof sourceport (and jonof SHOULD work on your computer even if eduke32 don't). The problem is that it doesn't always say in the reviews if a map goes over the old building limit, BUT mappers usually mention it in the readme file of the map.
Then you have a few maps using eduke32 only effects but those still remain quite rare.

Basically, your best luck is to download a map and try (or check the readme file). To play a usermap with dosbox, just put it into the root folder of the game and select it in the setup menu by lauching the game with Setup.exe (or type/edit your dosboxconf file "duke3D.exe -map [MAPNAME].map. )

If you encounter a map that SHOULD play in vanilla but doesn't; then chances are that the filename of the map is too long and you'll have to rename it (there USED to be a limit to the number of characters a map filename could have; but since it's not the case anymore with sourceports mappers tend to forget about it even if their maps is vanilla compatible).

But basically, most maps should be playable in vanilla; otherwise you can always try jonof even if it's outdated (Megaton was based on Jonof though; even though they never asked the makers of Jonof if they could use it).

>> No.1586590

>>1585629
Action packed, funny, ironic, iconic.
Explosions, aliens, women, guns, fire, *insert everything a man could love into one package*.

Development hell, abandoning features found in 3D (I don't need no fuckin' keycards), focus on graphics, et cetera. Not too sure of the details, but people were leaving and new people were coming in, constantly. That said, I thought forever was a pretty good game. Beyond the Half-Life tier 'cutscenes', and driving scenes, boasted an action packed adventure, filled with secrets and not as much censoring as the general populace likes to make out (you can literally throw shit, actual tits on strippers, gore, gloryhole in bathroom stall, fuck). Not that I am a real fan of the literal potty humor, or the edgetastic epic it became, I still think it was a decent game, which happened to be better than a lot of other games coming out at the time. My personal main gripe, IS THE FUCKING USELESS AIM DOWN. It does NOTHING but zoom the camera up an inch. I am fine with that not doing anything, but I am angry that they even decided to put in a literally useless feature. Fuck that taps into my autism.

I would remove aiming, I would remove cutscenes, I would attempt to remove unnecessary parts of the story, and I would personally tone down the graphics so everything didn't look and feel so fucking floaty. Honestly, I would have just loved spritebased enemies again.

I hope so.

>> No.1586596
File: 82 KB, 647x433, Beta_1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

this is a really good time for a duke nukem thread actually.
interceptor found ALL the early duke 3d builds after they bought 3d realms. they also got old duke nukem forevers but can't release anything about that because gearbox.

they've found cut weapons/enemies/maps/items. pretty much everything

>> No.1586613

What's the best way to play Duke Nukem 3D over the internet these days? Last time I tried eDuke32 with a friend we had trouble with desyncs.

>> No.1586627
File: 75 KB, 606x622, Quentin_Tarantino.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How would you feel if pic related made a DN movie?

>> No.1586628

>>1586497
I'll check these out, thanks.

>> No.1586649

>>1586596
Did they upload them, for free? To download? Without account? Anything major that was cut from the finished game? Any link?

>> No.1586769

>>1585852
Ep 2's still great despite the sentry drones and general lack of interactive filler/cool secrets. The atmosphere, lighting, and sheer magnificence of maps like Dark Side is a testament to Allen Blum's ability with just one episode theme. I definitely prefer the first and last episodes, though.

>>1586468
I get the feeling this game plays best from shruiken starts, rather than continuous play. Grenade launchers take skill to use well, and can be more dangerous to the player than pipe-bombs or TNT, but you can get a bit too powerful later on. That said, some of the enemies are more interesting to fight than those in Duke (nagas, coolie ghosts, sumo wrestlers), so it's a question of how many high-level monsters the mappers wanted to use late-game.

I'd argue Blood (so far) has the better bestiary, but that they're evenly matched on weapon mechanics/behavior and items, and that Shadow Warrior has a better quality-to-quantity ratio for maps (lotsa interconnections, creative reuse of space through level progression, standout lighting and effects, all with a great sense of space; Blood's maps get rather flat in episode 2, though 3's been an improvement). Duke's very good all-around, but Shadow Warrior and Blood have standout qualities as far as main Build games go. None of this matters since I keep hearing about how awesome the expansions generally are, especially for Redneck Rampage.

All of these games kick Marathon in the teeth, though high-speed punching's never felt better than in low gravity.

>> No.1586779 [DELETED] 

>>1586627
He would probably be a nigger.

>> No.1586810

>>1586627
It would probably be good.

QT gets a lot of hate, and I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" necessarily,
but even what I consider his worst movies are still enjoyable.

>> No.1586836

>>1586649
http://forums.duke4.net/topic/7366-duke3d-sw-earlyalphabetagold-material/
they're going to start releasing the beta stuff monthly
and yes major content

>> No.1586881

I'm replaying the Death Wish fan expansion for Blood and god damn, I forgot how good this guy's mapping skills are. He has a silly style at times that doesn't quite match the original maps (he likes those mobs of zombies and more scripted stuff in general) but I'd say his stuff is better on average than the original levels. They play well from a pitchfork start, too, which is nice because sometimes I want to skip the slower atmospheric maps like the Silent Hill homage.

>> No.1587075

>>1585629
I think 3DR was just continuing with their whole TECHNOLOGY thing since Duke3D. Stuffing so much newschool things into DNF, they lost sight of what made Duke great in the first place, which in my opinion is all about fast and furious action, loads of secret areas, more than one way to go from A to B. I also think most of the game's humor should be coming from Duke himself, and not the world around him. The setting is actually quite grimdark without Duke. In DNF the world was too much of caricature, but I found the alien hive area to be breddy gud and horrific besides the wall tits.

I think Hard Reset ALMOST pulled off the oldschool Build game vibe, if it had more variety and the player was way more agile.

>> No.1587094

Does Gearbox control everything Duke now? I'm curious with what Flying Wild Hog could do with it.

>> No.1587109

I've heard that 3D realms was supposed to be making a new Duke Nukem. From what I've heard it is an rpg but unfortunately the fags over at gearbox own the rights now and they're suing 3D realms for this.

>> No.1587183

>>1587109

>3D Realms
>Implying they'd ever finish their "duke RPG" anyway

I have no doubt that Gearbox was responsible for some of the lamer parts of Forever, but I also have no doubt Forever would still be in development hell had Gearbox not released it.

>> No.1587201

>>1586627
>a director famous for going crazy with references of older films and violence doing an adaptation of a game full of film references and violence

Can't see how he could fuck up

>> No.1587257

>>1586497
I just played Parkcade, which was linked in the Brooklyn review. Jeez, talk about being careful what you wish for. The TROR stuff is crazy and it's impressive that these complex multistory layouts can exist in a (much-updated) 1996 engine, but yeah, the performance takes a major hit and it felt like pushing the mapping just for the sake of pushing it, sometimes

pretty fun map when it wasn't chugging too badly

>> No.1587265
File: 404 KB, 1280x1024, War of Attrition.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

War of Attrition all day erryday. I just can't quit it.

http://fissile.duke4.net/fissile_attrition.html

>> No.1587458

>>1586881
Oh yeah death wish is fucking killer.

I can't believe you didn't like the mobs of zombies he uses. That shit was fucking awesome. Zombies in Blood are hardly challenging so I loved how that guy decided to throw a fuck tonne of them at you at once. Blowing them up with napalm launcher/dynamite etc was so goddamn satisfying.

>> No.1587508

>>1586509
Deathmatch? You mean....Wangbang?

I'm sorry, I get enjoyment out of using that word.

>> No.1587579

>>1587458
I'm not saying I didn't like them--I do like them for exactly the reasons you said. But in my mind I was thinking "Would I recommend Death Wish to someone over vanilla Blood? If Death Wish was released without info, would people think it was an official expansion?" I didn't put that in my post but I was thinking that stuff like the zombie gangs would give it away, those and other setpiece moments have a "heh, this modder is having fun goofing around" feel even if they are cool. I didn't mean it as a bad thing, just that people should not expect 100% true-to-original style.

>> No.1588043
File: 108 KB, 800x600, ridesagain7.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1586613
Megaton, the Steam version. It is however generally more laggy than with other sourceports and programs to play online; but there you can actually find players.
you got desyncs with eduke32 because the netplay code has been broken on that for AGES. The problem is that the eduke32 dev team just throw out constant updates without EVER telling what's knew in them (and what's now broken, because THAT actually happens quite often too sadly especially with the level editing program). I used to play online with eduke32 and it worked great but that was like 5 years ago, good luck finding the right working old version of eduke32 in the list of every version
http://dukeworld.duke4.net/eduke32/synthesis/

>>1586769
> since I keep hearing about how awesome the expansions generally are, especially for Redneck Rampage.
RR only has one expansion, made by the same devs who did other Build engine games add-ons (Carribean Life, Wanton Destruction, Cryptic Passage, etc), though never exactly the same team on each addon. That addon is more consistent than the original game and tries to hide the flaws of the original game.
But then RR has a sequel, Rides Again in Arksansas (pic related), which imo is one of the two most underrated Build games alongside Powerslave aka Exhumed

>>1587075
>I think Hard Reset ALMOST pulled off the oldschool Build game vibe, if it had more variety and the player was way more agile.

No fucking way. I mean, I like Hard Reset, it was actually one of the best modern FPS i've played; but there is no way it's any close to a Build engine game due to the level design. Hard Reset is almost completely full on linearility, not quite like a corridor shooter but not quite far either, and the secret areas are babies first FPS secrets.

>> No.1588046 [DELETED] 

>>1587094
>>1587109

>>1587094
Apparently Gearbox controls anything related to DNF and any NEW duke game; but they're actually fighting in court over this 2nd point as 3DRealms (now Interceptor) claims they have the right to make a new Duke game (which they MIGHT or might not be making; they can't actually say unless they win the courtcase)

>>1587257
> it felt like pushing the mapping just for the sake of pushing it
That is actually a pretty common flaw of quite a few duke3D mappers who spent an insane ammount of time putting as much detailing as possible for the sake of it.

>> No.1588053

>>1587109
>>1587094
Apparently Gearbox controls anything related to DNF and any NEW duke game; but they're actually fighting in court over this 2nd point as 3DRealms (now Interceptor) claims they have the right to make a new Duke game (which they MIGHT or might not be making; they can't actually say unless they win the courtcase)

>>1587257
> it felt like pushing the mapping just for the sake of pushing it
That is actually a pretty common flaw of quite a few duke3D mappers who spent an insane ammount of time putting as much detailing as possible for the sake of it.

>>1586590
> I thought forever was a pretty good game.
So did I. I also believe that DNF is to modern FPS what Duke3D is to Doom-era FPS, minus the novelty factors. The only reasons why DNF isn't as good as DN3D is simply because modern FPS aren't as good as Doom-era FPS.
Now there is also the fact that technically speaking, the graphics of DNF were a couple of years behind its current generation, but that's nothing I consider negative. It however didn't help getting it liked by pro reviewers and by the fanbase of modern FPS who are all about GRAPHIX and tehcnical aspects of games.
It's also sad that DNF kept changing engine BECAUSE they didn't want to release something technically behind of even a couple of years; just so that it ended up happening anyway. All these years of changing engine for nothing.... If you ask me they should have made DNF in the Build engine (which is how it started), just like Doom 2 is to Doom and what Rides Again In Arksansas is to Redneck Rampage.

>> No.1588069

>>1586596
I'm gonna need some links/backstory on this, mister.

>> No.1588070 [DELETED] 

>>1586596
see
>>1586836

>> No.1588072

>>1588069
see
>>1586836

>> No.1588151

>>1588069
There isn't much shown yet, but there will be, in time.

The CEO of Interceptor says he's going to release beta content "as is" monthly starting the launch of the new 3DRealms website; and that he's also planning on getting a "playable" version to be made using that content.
Some people think that actually means a brand new commercial Duke3D add-on using that content; but that's just a rumor. I'm not even sure if such a thing is legally possible : they do own the right of Duke3D but since Gearbox claims to have the rights to "any new Duke game", it might be conflincting. But then again, it's still unsure whether they really do own the rights of new Duke games like they claim, until the courtcase is finished.

>> No.1589230

>>1587075
Hard Reset suffered from bullet sponge enemies that lacked variety, I don´t think any Build engine game had these problems.

>> No.1589606

>>1588043
I'm playing Powerslave right now. Alternating between the Playstation and PC versions, and although I can kinda see where people are coming from with liking the Playstation version for the 3D engine and Metroid-like equipment collection, the simple architecture, constant backtracking, and generic "weapon power" pickups are kinda killing it for me. I would have been more impressed at the time of release, I think, but now it strikes me as a weird FP platformer/action-adventure hybrid.

PC version is a more straightforward shooter, and the engine doesn't have fancy colored lighting or true 3D, but I think it has a more adventurous feel, being careful with your ammo through the long winding levels and using your torch in dark tunnels and caves.

>> No.1590049

>>1586881
one little touch I really liked about Death Wish is how he added a bunch more particles when you pop barrels and trash cans and such

makes explosions and shooting even more satisfying

>> No.1590462
File: 20 KB, 480x360, hqdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1589606
What I love about the PC version of Powerslave, and why I think it's underrated, is for its level design. The interactive, changing, environments with incredibly smart layouts, it's some of the best Doom-era FPS level design I've seen. It also has really good atmosphere. And, the yet still remains to these days underknown even among build engine games lovers.
It has its flaws though : the fact that you can't strafe and turn at the same time, the AI of enemies isn't very interesting, some of the weapons aren't very interesting either and you're limited to only the few first weapons for too many levels.

I think the console versions are overrated, or at least, overrated amongst its fans. They claim it's Metroid Prime before Metroid Prime; while really, all there is to that, is coming back to previous levels (by picking them on a world map; not by walking directly to it) when you have a new item letting you unlock a new area. Also the game has too much (FIRST PERSON) platforming for my taste....
It is technically impressive though, especially the Saturn version (which uses the same engine as the Saturn version of Duke3D and was made by the same team, to go back on topic) .

>> No.1591145
File: 42 KB, 640x396, ac3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Let me bump and get back on topic.

>>1585629

To me one of the reasons is usermaps and the level editor. There has been TONS of high quality usermaps even since 1996. For information, quite a lot of mappers who did maps for duke3D as a hobby turned pro. There was Robert Travis, who then got hired Sunstorm Interactive and worked on official add-ons for Duke3D, but also other games. Same for Mike Beaulieu. Wieder, who then got hired by 3DRealms and worked on DNF. Matt Wood, who got hired by 3DRealms as well (Prey, Max Payne, DNF) and who then moved to Valve (TF2, L4D, HL2, etc). There is also Enric Alvarez, who turned pro (I think it's the same Enric Alvarez who worked on Castlevania Lord of Shadow among other things); more recently there is also DavoX who joined a company that makes games for mobile phones or iOS I think; and I think there are more that I can't recall on top of my head.

I used to make crappy maps for Duke3D as a kid with my brother, and play usermaps that I got from a PC Video Game Magazine special issue that came every 3 months (which was more about demos and sharewares but also had usermaps for games).
A few years after I got internet, I decided to check other maps for duke3D. That was in 2004 and the first usermaps I downloaded, completely by chance, were maps created by a still active mapper which were recreations of my hometown or based on it (the town i still lived in at the time). I think you understand how incredible that is, playing recreations of your hometown in one of your favourite game completely by chance! After that I even became a postman in some of the places remade in those maps...
That immedialy kicked back my love for the game and I haven't stopped since.

So, I recommend those maps, and any map made by the same author (MRCK), pic related
http://msdn.duke4.net/hot.php
(ctrl+f : mrck ; or click "on author" on top of the list to get the list sorted by author)

>> No.1591325

>>1591145
lol nerd

>I think you understand how incredible that is, playing recreations of your hometown in one of your favourite game completely by chance!
I bet you fantasised about shooting it all up, columbine style. I've h4x0rd your ip address and have already sent it to the Frog authorities.

>> No.1591330

>>1591325
>calling someone a nerd
>on 4chan
>in the vidya classic forum

i bet you're the kinda guy who would be sucking a guy's cock then suddenly pull it out of your mouth, point at him and shout "haha you're a fag!"

>> No.1591337
File: 165 KB, 514x345, Screen shot 2014-04-17 at 2.43.03 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1591330
>taking an obviously facetious post that seriously
>getting this upset about intertrons

>> No.1592401

>>1591337
I fucking love Lumpy

>> No.1592639

>>1585629
I fucking loved exploring in Duke/Doom/Shadow Warrior/Marathon games.
The combat was always secondary to me. I loved just looking for secrets and exploring the scenery. Especially in Duke in DC.

>> No.1593032
File: 195 KB, 1280x1024, duke3d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I've been playing this game since I was a little boy and I still haven't made a single mod or map to it. Now that I have Douk 3D megaton edition in my steam account I might finally be motivated to create some maps.

>> No.1593053
File: 25 KB, 250x166, starwarsholiday4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1592401
I was always slightly disconcerted by Chewbacca's extended family

>> No.1593138

>>1593032
Make sure to use mapster32 rather build or jfbuild. It has TONS of small new features that make mapping more convenient and faster.

However with the latest version of mapster32, there is a glitch that prevents from selecting sectors with alt-gr (which can be used to move sectors around, resize them, turn them aruond, change the lighting of all the walls/floors/ceilings of the selected sectors at once, or copy paste them); so I use this version nonetheless but whenever I need to use that feature I switch to an older version of mapster32 in which the feature worked.

>> No.1593148

It's a real first person shooter, no auto heal, more than two guns, and a severe lack of bubblegum.

>> No.1595798
File: 52 KB, 800x640, hotitlives2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.1595845
File: 726 KB, 1000x990, William_Shatners_TekWar-front.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

DUKEFAGS BOUT TO GET SHAT ON

MASTER RACE BUILD ENGINE GAME COMING THROUGH