[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 59 KB, 640x480, retro-games.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
1343101 No.1343101 [Reply] [Original]

This board was active as fuck when it opened almost a year ago. Now it's dead as shit. What the fuck happened?

Do you mean to tell me that all the retro gamers are actually... playing video games?

>> No.1343109

>>1343101
i know, buncha bastards right? they should be complaining about games like the rest of us!

>> No.1343112

Still faster than some other boards.

>> No.1343114

Well.

In the beginning we were fervently discussing video games and were overloaded with nostalgia. We were so happy to have this platform where we could talk about happy memories from games gone past.

Now we've pretty much discussed everything retro that needs to be discussed and we're on repeat for the most part. New regulars are rare, we get visiting explorers but leave just as fast as they came.

As it's a 'retro' board pertaining to topics within a limited time frame, board discussion will be finite. Hence, post rate has slowed down OP because we've already discussed the topics we wanted to discuss.

>> No.1343113

This is my home board and I put a lot into it. Even if it was just me, it wouldn't be dead.

>> No.1343118

>>1343114
*I just read my own cluster fuck of a post. Wow, I'm sleepy. really need to go to bed, goodnight now /vr/.

>> No.1343123

you think so anon? I was here when this board opened up and It's the only board I go on really. I think it's alot more active then it was. Althoug I do admit a small amount of cancer has spread but I still think for the most part the board retains its integrity. My only other complain are the lack of pictures in threads. I mean it is actually an image board after all. And I just get a lil upset when I see poeple making references to characters or games ive never herd of and not seeing any pics to give me an idea if it's something I should check out or not. To give an example of "cancer" I remember within the first weeks of this board some anon made a post saying "lets pretend it's 1998" and 2 posts saying "no" and " thats kind of stupid" I remember a few weeks ago I saw the same post with like 100 people posting on it

>> No.1343131

The problem with this board is that it's casual as fuck.

I see all these faggots complaining about game mechanics and calling games cheap when the fact is they just suck at games. I see this happen in threads all the time. Dickheads blaming game mechanics and calling games broken because they're too casual to get good.

It really brings this board down in my eyes. Casual fucking plebs everywhere that can't beat games that I destroyed at 10 years old.

>> No.1343135

>What the fuck happened?

Lot of people on this board have a really basic knowledge of older games so there isn't much to discuss. That's why you always see Saturn threads without fail 404 after like the 20th post because everyone is so scared to actually play something new.

>> No.1343149

Most people just left again because they finished talking about their favourite retro games. The people who are not finished, just arrived or have games that still get something new, are in their own threads.

>> No.1343151

they only thing that keeps /vr/ alive is Doom,and the game tech threads or "how do i fix my X system?" threads
the rest are slow as fuck threads

>> No.1343150

>>1343114
>As it's a 'retro' board pertaining to topics within a limited time frame, board discussion will be finite.
You'd be surprised what still hasn't been discovered, developed, and therefore talked about here. Hell, there's even some Atari and Sega stuff people here have missed.

>> No.1343154

>>1343151
this
/vr/ is basically /doom/

>> No.1343157

>>1343131
If you actually participated in those threads you would see that the rest of us break down the complaint into some percentage of OP lacking skill and some percentage of the console's limitations.

Console limitations were a blessing because they forced developers to pack their desired mechanics into a small frame. Then when new systems with fewer limitations came out they were able to expand in ways they may have wanted to.

This happens all the time with NES games vs SNES games - particularly Zelda and Metroid. The NES versions are harder and it's because of the limitations of the console but a lot of us really really enjoy that challenge - especially if we cut our teeth on it as kids.

Some people do not enjoy the challenge and they're quick to say things like "Super Metroid has a map so Metroid not having a map is fucked up".

Now you might see players who think this way as being weak players lacking in skill and they may see themselves as uncompromisingly wanting a game as "good" as the later version.

However, the bottom line of both of these is that they either need to learn to appreciate the platform or stop playing on it.

>> No.1343160

i think too many older retro gamers stopped coming after there was a spill-over of /v/ posters threads with shitty opinions about games that came out before they were born

>> No.1343162

>>1343157
The bottom line is you're another casual making excuses for your shitty gameplay abilities.

>> No.1343179

>>1343101
Kirby Thread
Wario thread
CRT thread
Megaman thread
Zelda thread
Mame thread
The Official NES Encyclopedia Thread
Final Fantasy thread
Castlevania thread
Hey guys did i do good? thread

I check in once or twice a day and it's the same fucking shit.

>> No.1343182

>>1343114
>As it's a 'retro' board pertaining to topics within a limited time frame, board discussion will be finite.

Flawed logic is flawed. As time passes, newer generations become retro and people will discuss it here the same way they discuss current retro games.

Yes, PS4 will be retro one day. No, it's not blasphemy, you're getting old.

>> No.1343187

>>1343182
its not retro now though faggot
his point stands
since the board's inception the topics have been discussed and regurgitated over and over
think before you shitpost out your ass you 17 year old piece of shit

>> No.1343193

>>1343162
Dude, I fucking beat Metroid in 1987. Take another shot in the dark, why don't you?

Why are people so grumpy at night?

>> No.1343192 [DELETED] 
File: 46 KB, 333x500, 1321606977560.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Also whoever janitors this place is an absolute shithead.

>inb4 I get a 3 day ban for complaining about the pathetic over-handed and arbitrary moderation on this fucking board.

>> No.1343194

>>1343192
Are you the Donkey Kong Country guy?

>> No.1343195

>>1343193
I love you anon I'm just avin a giggle init? xox

>> No.1343196

>>1343192
damn that pic is hawt

>> No.1343198

Most things that people actually care about have been talked about. People won't rush here to make multiple Mario World threads anymore since that already happened enough times. Sure, there is other stuff people might talk about, but that's not the kind of stuff that suddenly brings 10000 people from /v/ here and keeps them too. People had their share of general retro. Now it's only specific stuff that still moves fast, like Doom.

>> No.1343202

>>1343194
Erm no, but I think i remember that thread.
I capped and reposted it and copped a ban though.

>> No.1343204

>>1343192
moar?

>> No.1343209

>>1343198
Bullshit.
The same Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Megaman threads run rampant continuously.

>>1343204
I saved that single pic ages ago but I actually came across the model's name the other week on a fap quest and there are some more pics from that shoot that I don't know where i saved!

>> No.1343210
File: 250 KB, 554x759, 1373645763706.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1343204

>> No.1343216

I bet you're from /v/ aren't you OP? Why don't you go back there instead of making meta threads here? Slow boards are not anything new to this site, and i actually prefer it to the chat box shithole /v/ has become.

>>1343150
This so much.

>> No.1343218

>>1343114
>Now we've pretty much discussed everything retro that needs to be discussed

No we fucking haven't. Unless you think the only things worth discussing on /vr/ are Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest.

And OP, fuck off with meta threads. /vr/ is fine. Not every board has to go at fucking Sanic speed.

>> No.1343219

>>1343216
>This so much.
you sound like such a fucking vagina

>> No.1343226

because this isn't even /vr/
it's /consoles&doom/
any other pc games never get any replies
in fact, no games other than the ones starring the most mainstream characters get any replies
even consoles that aren't popular don't get any replies

so with other words, /vr/ is ded because /vr/ only wants to discuss mainstream stuff you can discuss anywhere else, so anyone who wants to discuss other stuff (pc games that aren't DOOM, obscure consoles) just leaves.

>> No.1343228

>This board was active as fuck when it opened almost a year ago. Now it's dead as shit. What the fuck happened?

That's because usually when a board opens a ton of people from other ones hang out in it for like a week or two and then leave. /vr/ has been the same pace for a long time, my only complaint is people here barely talk about the more obscure games out there.

>> No.1343230

>>1343226
>any other pc games never get any replies

I've participated in enough PC game threads to call bullshit on this one.

>> No.1343232

>>1343209
There are actually no Mario threads on /vr/ right now, unless you count the Wario threads.

>> No.1343235

>>1343226
>any other pc games never get any replies

There is a Marathon thread up right now with nearly 250.

>> No.1343238

>>1343230
fine, fallout perhaps aswell.
quake and ut have gotten a few replies. baldurs gate too.
but the obscure stuff just dies out. as does rts, which is my home genre so it's the one i notice dying the most.

>> No.1343247

>>1343226
Actually I've had a lot of success talking about lesser-known DOS titles and other PC games, and I think this is a great forum for that type of thing. Just like any thread about a specific smaller game, a few people comment and after a while it dies, just like any board. /vr/ is home to a few generals, sure, but it's not like we don't discuss anything else. You do use the catalog, don't you anon?

>> No.1343246

>>1343238
>No PC thread gets replies
>EXCEPT ALL OF THESE GAMES

>> No.1343258

>>1343238
There was a successful Myth thread last week. I've seen long threads about TA and Red Alert also. And Warcraft, there was a thread about that recently also.

>> No.1343263

I'm actually surprised that some people didn't expect /vr/ to slow down. What did you expect? Is this the first new board you ever saw? You know, even /jp/ was fast once.

>> No.1343267

>>1343246
Yeah all 5 of those games.
Pat yourself on the back there.
>>1343247
Guess I'm just on at the wrong times.
Sorry. I was just talking out of my own experience, and personally I rarely see successfull threads about most pc stuff, let alone anything RTS related.
I know there's one RTS thread up right now but not only is half of it people complaining about a list in it, it's been up for ages with barely any replies.

>> No.1343271

>>1343263
>going to /jp/
HAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.1343278

>>1343271
/jp/ has some of the shittiest topics and even it was fast when it was new. Any new board will be faster when it's still new and people are still curious unless something big happens.

>> No.1343285

I'm just sad most of the emulator pleb nintendo kids scared off all the oldfags

>> No.1343291

>>1343285
they are one and the same, don't kid yourself.

>> No.1343292

>>1343285
>oldfags
/vr/ isn't even a year old you shithead

>> No.1343298

>>1343292
I'm talking about the literal oldfags used to be so many seniors kickin around here talkin bout their ataris and other gay shit. hahah nah they were cool I missed their perspective on vidya too.

>> No.1343308

>>1343247
I tried asking for good mods for old FPS games and got 1 reply

>> No.1343326

>>1343267
Nigga just accept you are wrong already. Shit's getting embarrassing.

>> No.1343330

>>1343326

>Expecting a mustard baby to admit he's wrong

>> No.1343335

>>1343298
There are lots of us still here. We just don't stay up all night.

>> No.1343379

Every single person on 4chan is a faggot apart from me.

It's annoying how this board tries to elevate itself above /v/ when it's very much the same bunch of fucking tits. There's really no difference, you're all repulsive neckbeards cut from the same cloth. Shut the fuck up already.

>> No.1343385

>>1343101
>Now it's dead as shit

It's not dead, it's perfectly reasonable. Not every board goes as fast as /v/ or /vg/, and they're kinda slow compared to /b/.

>> No.1343402

>>1343298
I'm an oldfag, and I spend plenty of time on /vr/ but I find myself posting much, much less than when the board was new; I think there is some validity to the idea that it's possible to run out of things to talk about, on an individual level anyway. For the first few months of /vr/ I was all over FPDC threads and getting neat Amiga recommendations and shit like that, but now I've, well, played all those games. So I really only post if I see something interesting for the first time. The increase in worthless/idiotic posts doesn't help either. But there will still be new people to come in and discover and play those games so I'm guessing the demographic will be pretty stable hereon out.

>> No.1343412

>>1343379

Not really.
V has younger people, and you can smell them a mile away. Their threads have a very different vibe. Just think of the console wars threads.

Most posters here are probably older than 30 or in their late 20s. And they like retro games the same way other people have model trains as a hobby.

V is always 18 years old. And most of them will grow out of videogames before their middle 20s.

This being a slow forum is absolutely normal, I don't see a problem with that. Ask something, get a few good not shitpost responses, and that is enough.

>> No.1343420

>>1343379
Sort of. The board is a lot better than /v/ but they do share users who frequent both but there is a clear difference between the two.

>> No.1343431
File: 10 KB, 225x225, ronfp.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>1343412
First day here junior?

>> No.1343450

>>1343218
>No we fucking haven't. Unless you think the only things worth discussing on /vr/ are Mario, Sonic, Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Dragon Quest.
Then start a thread you mongrel.

>> No.1343456

>>1343379
It's annoying that people talk about /v/ all the time when many of us have never been there and don't give a single fuck about the state of posting there.

I agree that the level of discourse here has gone down somewhat, but considering this being 4chan after all that is what one would expect.

There are too many stupid people crowded together, and thread creators are absolutely shit at making proper threads, so quality won't rise any time soon.

>> No.1343742

Would you rather that it be active and full of shitposting?
Because you can go to >>>/v/ for that.

Or you can have /jp/, where threads last for three months but literally hundreds of them are deleted every day, and that's with a time-delay set up specifically to keep that out.

>> No.1343819

>>1343456

This especially. I don't give a shit about /v. This is the only video game related board I visit. The other two are /K and /O.

As far as threads go. There are lots of different threads as well as plenty of the same threads made over and over. I think the final fantasy threads for example are made by people who don't frequent here often. I would,make,more threads but Usually use my phone for 4 Chan as the few hours I get at home are spent eating spending time with my wife and dog and playing retro games. I've been thinking of making a caption skyhawk thread since I've been playing it here recently.