[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 1.50 MB, 2121x1414, iStock-1212785891.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10385426 No.10385426 [Reply] [Original]

To those who use emulators: How do you organize your collection? Do you download entire romsets and keep every game for every library? Do you start from 0 and curate a list? Do you keep games you don't like? I feel like I'm at a stage of paralysis with my collection; it keeps growing but I end up not liking half the games, but I don't want to delete them because I might play them one day. I was thinking maybe I'd create an "archive" folder with complete romsets, and then copy over what I need to a "collection" folder...

I was thinking of writing a small piece of software to assist in moving files between two root folders while maintaining their full folder structure (e.g. I could move a 3DS game to my collection from my archive and it would also bring over the 3DS root folder if it doesnt exist). Does such a program exist?

>> No.10385432

>>10385426
I just DL the games I like or are interested in.

>> No.10385449

>>10385432
I think I'm bothered by the idea that I will one day be unable to download new (old) games because they've been taken down, but perhaps I need to just get past that weird hangup.

>> No.10385450

>>10385426
Yes, there are a few windows programs that can mimic the utility of Linux. I found one on reddit of all places that can batch rename files and prune duplicate files, as well as prune versions of the same ROM. Ie: you have the PAL, NTSC, and JP release of the same game because you got it off an archive, you can pick which one you want to use. I cannot remember the name, but it doesn't have anything to do with video games.

>> No.10385454

>>10385426
I've only got games I play at the moment. Sometimes I keep games I've completed and liked a lot, even when it's games with little replayability, especially if they were difficult to set up.

>> No.10385459

>>10385450
I found it for you OP. Useless faggot, learn how to search. https://github.com/hosua/Folder-Organizer-Tool/releases

>> No.10385470

Here's how I organize
>1: find out what games you want to play on the system
You should already have a backlog, but you can expand it hugely by watching videos like this and picking out random games that you like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQj4KItYo94
>2: get the roms on your list
>3: divide them into genres via folders, inside those folders sort them by year by using the [year - name] template for filenames
Seeing a huge list of names for games you haven't played yet is pretty daunting, how do you pick from that? So organize, that way even if you don't remember what the game is, the genre and the year will tell you enough, you'll know if you're in the mood for it
>4: after playing a game, I either put it into my "favorites" folder or into the "dropped but may come back later" folder or I delete it if I didn't like it. No point hoarding everything

>> No.10385472
File: 66 KB, 480x480, 2779193-hashire hebereke (j)_00003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do not download Romsets. You think you're saving time, but sorting it ends up being a headache and you will most likely never play the games anyway. All those hours spent sorting should be spent on playing. I realized this when I started downloading Wii U roms and just the games I wanted took up nearly 200GB on my hard drive. Then I looked at the Switch... Meanwhile Game Boy Color games are like 100kb each?

On the other hand, it's a nice way to find gems if you do enjoy organizing (like this one). I look at it as like I entered a gaming store and checking out what they have on sale (I use LaunchBox for that purpose).

>> No.10385493

>>10385472
>downloading Wii U roms and just the games I wanted took up nearly 200GB on my hard drive. Then I looked at the Switch...
For me, I just keep a backlog for those newer systems in an excel spreadsheet. There's no way I can downloads it all so I don't even try to. Everything /vr/ that goes on my backlog gets downloaded, but everything non-/vr/ just goes on the list. I've got almost a 1000 games on that list now...

>> No.10385541
File: 145 KB, 1280x720, RetroAryan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10385426
For cartridge systems there's no reason not to download full romsets. For disk systems I download ones I might find interesting,
I don't need to do elaborate organization, I use RetroAryan and I just set a game as a "favorite" if I'm going to be regularly playing, or I can just look at my history.

>> No.10385553

>>10385426
I organize them by genre, because when I play I either know the game I'm going to play or I want to explore a genre depending on my mood, so this allows me to find the right game for my mood at any given day. This works best with complete libraries.

>> No.10385557

>Cartridge systems
Download entire romsets from No-Intro or whatever
>Disc systems
I just autistically go through and manually download all the games I have even a passing interest in.

I have a 2TB HDD that's filled to the brim with games and all organised by system, and then I just put the games I actually want to play/care about on my SSD. Disc games I convert to CHD because it's more convenient and takes up less space.

>> No.10385568

>>10385553
>works best with complete libraries
But then you get all sorts of shit games randomly, and you'll have to check all the games in order to sort them by genre anyway. Why not throw away the shitty ones while you're at it, or just put them in a separate folder if you're that much of a hoarder. That way you open a system folder, a genre folder and you know every game in front of you is a game that would probably be fun, that's nice

>> No.10385573

>>10385557
Is there even a point in running retro games off of an SSD? I only do that for modern games, retro games load instantly anyway

>> No.10385593

>>10385426
Anyone got a torrent link for the Rick dangerous 512gb Edition?

>> No.10385604

>>10385426
I have 2 and rarely 3 folders. One folder contains the games I will actually play, not in the way you would play something like action 52 where you dick around for 30 minutes, but make a serious committment to playing. The other folder contains things I know I will either never play or stuff like action 52 where I will not play them seriously. The third folder is just a place to put games to remind myself that I really want to get through them before I do any other games on that system and I dont always have that.

I want it so when I am scrolling through my collection I see relevant things I would actually want to play and don't want to scroll past junk. If it's interesting junk like action 52 or some game I have nostalgia for because I grew up with it but it's a shitty game that is a separate folder. I can go into it, look at them and maybe dick around for 10 minutes

>> No.10385620

>>10385449
I got over that because I realized that if there does come a time when they get rid of roms from the internet it's not going to be that you wake up one day and they are gone. It will be a slow proccess that will happen over months or years and someone will sound the alarm. Remember how much people screamed when a few rom sites removed nintendo games? There were youtube videoes in my feed for weeks and it was on every gaming website and forum. Now imagine how loud it would be if they took down EVERYTHING.

That would be when you rush-download everything. You would have plenty of time and some guy will certainly make a "all games" torrent or archive and it will get passed around.

And storage & internet speed only go up so if you are doing it 5 years from now it will be done in less time and you will have less issues with how much space it clogs up.

>> No.10385640

>>10385472
>sorting
You're supposed to keep them compressed in a single file and extract the ones you want to play. What a fucking maroon.

>> No.10385647

>>10385573
Imagine even considering shit like this. Save it and play it.

>> No.10385838

>>10385620
What a foolish and short-sighted point of view.
>some guy
>certainly
What year are you posting from?

>> No.10385864

They all go in "Download To" and I leave them there forever.

>> No.10385876
File: 156 KB, 400x165, Gear.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10385426
they stay in the folder that's made when I unzip them and stay there forever. Only exception is rom hacks which I do organize by folders named after the game so my rom list isn't inundated by Sonic, Mario, and Zelda hacks.

>> No.10385901

>>10385838
Like I said when Nintendo ordered a handful of rom sites to take down their stuff you couldn't go anywhere that talks about games without hearing about it. And there are already "complete library of this system" torrents.

Now extrapolate from there what would happen if every company ordered for every rom site. You think no one will talk about it?

>> No.10385910

>>10385426
Full rom sets in a 2 tier folder structure
System -> Country
Simple as.

>> No.10385927

I have a full MAME arcade set and a script to pull games for certain machines if I want to use them with a different emulator. I also have full no intro sets for cartridge console games. PCECD, SegaCD, Saturn, Dreamcast, PS1, PS2, Gamecube, Wii, and XBOX games are curated.

>> No.10385932

>>10385426
All my roms are archived to an external hard drive and I put whatever games I feel like playing on my main drive. I do keep complete rom sets of 4th gen and down on my main because they don't take up that much space. I'll just pull out whatever game(s) I want to play from that into my main rom folder so I don't have to dig around a folder with over 1000 roms though.

>> No.10385934

>>10385426
Curated list is the way to go, no reason to clutter the absolute shit out of your folders with kusoge that you're never going to play. And no, not even if they're 40kb each. It's just retarded.

However, I add roms to my folders even they're just on my backlog, I don't have to play them straight away either. This keeps the list loose enough that I can always stumble upon something new to play.

>> No.10385967

>>10385426
I download anything that looks interesting and keep them in their rom folders for their respective emulators, but then I have another another one for just the games I’m currently playing due to hard drive limits and other BS.

I have an HDD with all my games on it, but some emulators like ePSXe and SNES9x let the HDD spin down when not being accessed, so this causes the games to freeze whenever the HDD has to spin up again, which is annoying. This problem is solved by putting the games on my PC’s internal SSD, but it’s a shitty budget PC with only 25 gigs and 20 of that is taken up by Windows OS and another 2 gigs for antivirus, leaving me 3 gigs to play with, so I put a handful of SNES and PSX games on the SSD. Thank god most emulators don’t have the spin down issue, though. KGens never spins down my HDD.

>> No.10385974

>>10385426
>D:\Emulators\[Console Name]\[Emulator Name]\Games\[Specific Game Folder]\game.rom

>> No.10385982

I download the game i want to play after i finish i delete them if i like the game so much i upload it to the cloud

>> No.10386176

>>10385620
Romsets for early consoles will always be available on some torrents somewhere
>but it would be illegal
Somewhere in the world it won't be. What you should be worrying about are rare versions of games from newer generations. Not a lot of people are going to bothering storing the full collection of games from PS3 gen, and out of those that do, how many are going to store every regional variant of every release?
I've recently realized the original Japanese version of Cowboy Bebop is different from the internationally released one, and it's barely even preserved and nobody gives a shit. Even for popular stuff like that regional variants are on the verge of extinction

>> No.10386587

>>10385426
>>>/adv/30113667

>> No.10386589

>>10385426
I just download everything and use what I want. It's a mentally stable grownup thing, you wouldn't understand.

>> No.10386647
File: 7 KB, 300x229, 1607387699853.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10386176
How different is the Cowboy Bebop OG Japanese version from the one that typically got released? Why wasn't it at least given a subbed release in addition to the international release dub like Dragon Ball series, Beast King Golion, Megaman EXE, Record of Lodoss War, Most of Miyazaki's movies, SDF Macross, Macross Plus, most of the Gundam series, Genesis Climber Mospeada, Super Dimension Century Orguss, Super Dimensional Cavalry Southern Cross, Gachaman, or Inuyasha?

>> No.10386773

>>10385426
I keep my ROMs in the folder directory of the emulator itself, usually. Especially so for console stuff.

>> No.10387328

BUMP OF LIFE

>> No.10387987

>>10385426
Full rom sets loaded into lunchbox with art, the. Compress for archiving. Actual use is either cherry picked games or a 1g1r set, also in launchbox

>> No.10388007

>>10385426
For non-CD consoles I just download everything, a full SNES romset is like 3GB, a full MD one is 2GB. Except for the N64, I can't be bothered with this one.
CD-based stuff I only download whatever I feel like playing and keep the games on my archive once I'm done.

>> No.10389742

BUMP OF LIFE

>> No.10389903

Can some anon share their folder structure? I'm just curious how others do them. Whether they sort games by region, or other categories.

>> No.10389927

>>10386647
Not very different at all, it's an autism thing really. Like some sound effects are different and some editing is slightly different, and I mean slightly, like a panoramic shot taking 3 seconds instead of 2. You basically won't notice it unless you're comparing it 1 to 1. Still, for the sake of preservation this sort of stuff needs to be kept around

>> No.10389938

>>10389927
Oh except there's one case where it is important. Japanese subs are synched to this OG version and not to the international one, since like I said the timings are different, it's recut a bit. That's why I had to look for it in the first place

>> No.10390297

>>10385426
I do a deep-dive in the library of each system and hand-pick the games that seem the coolest
learning about different games and inmersing myself into their history is honestly almost as fun as playing them
I try to not go overboard with the amount and keep the collection at a sensible size

>> No.10390531

>>10385472
I agree generally, but romsets are fine for systems with small libraries.
My Neo Geo Pocket + Color romset has approximately 140 games and only takes up 66 MB of space. If you're going to go through the effort of setting up an emulator for a system like that you may as well just grab the whole set.

>> No.10390574

>>10385426
Personally, I just download a romset and play each game for about 5-10 minutes. After that, I just delete the games I thought were ass or just couldn't get into. For DVD or CD based libraries I just download whatever catches my eye, maybe watch a video or two on it if I'm unsure.

>> No.10390589

>>10385449
Will never happen. You might lose some particularly obscure games if you aren't don't back them up yourself, but stuff like romsets and classic PC games will always be hosted, somewhere, by someone. People take game preservation very seriously.

>> No.10390749

>>10390589
>ut stuff like romsets and classic PC games will always be hosted, somewhere, by someone.
Thinking like this is what makes things get lost forever. "No, the Library of Alexandria is fine. That knowledge is safe forever!"

>> No.10390823

Depends on the system for me. Basically, if it's not on a CD I tend to get some random romset and play the a bunch of the games as I feel like it.

>> No.10390981

I just sort game files into system named folders alphabetically. Doesn't need to be complicated.

>> No.10391002

>>10385426
I download fullsets because storage is cheap and it's faster than deciding all the games I want right away. Sorted alphabetically and ideally also grouped by english name like goodsets. Why yes I will never play 3/4 of them.
I just have a list of what games I want to play, it's usually better than trying to have my folders do the thinking for me.
However, when I'm traveling and know I won't be bothered to check a list, I'll put a handful of good games in a folder and worry about moving the saves later

>> No.10391984

>>10390749
Fuckin' retards never thought to plug in a usb and hit ctrl+c and ctrl+v

>> No.10391995

>>10385426
Depends on the system and my experience and history with it. If it's a collection under a certain limit, I'd download it all. I wouldn't bother looking at it, organizing, or playing anything, but a couple of gigs is a couple of gigs. Now, I'm more selective. I only play a few games/types of games, so I try to select those that have personal relevance to me (nostalgia) or are exemplars of their genre (or a good entry but take minimal space). So, I might get one fighting game because it's well-regarded as great for the genre, one adventure game because I played it as a kid, and something like bust-a-move/tetris because it's only a couple of mb.

>> No.10393462

>>10385449
answer: keep a zip archive on an external drive of whole sets. drag the ones you actually care about into a folder on your main PC. move games over as needed.

>> No.10393486

>>10390589
>People take game preservation very seriously
Except the Japanese are copyright obsessed sheeple so a lot of Japanese only stuff is inevitably going to disappear forever. Maybe not the games themselves but the scans of manuals, strategy guides, artbooks, magazines, they don't digitalize that stuff, they just hoard it until one day it goes up in flames like everything physical does.

>> No.10393609

>>10385426
>I was thinking of writing a small piece of software to assist in moving files between two root folders while maintaining their full folder structure
You might be able to write a bash script to do such a thing. Are you on Windows or Linux? /g/ might be able to help you out.

>> No.10393901

>>10393609
>You might
Nah. It's a <60 second job. If it could do it, it already would have.

>> No.10394183

Full romsets are for cringe hoarders

>> No.10394187

i just leave everything piled in the downloads folder and if I can't find it later i just download it again

>> No.10394294 [DELETED] 

I click the download button and when I want to find something I just search for it

>> No.10395716

>>10394183
>Full romsets are for gainfully employed grownups

>> No.10395728

>>10394183
Have fun through going through timer based and ad infested east european websites when archive.org takes out all the roms

>> No.10395740

>>10395728
There will always be torrents for full romsets of early consoles. If you want to hoard, hoard later stuff that's actually a bit hard to hoard because it takes up space. Hoard all the Xbox titles, in all regional versions. Each one is 5-6 gigs, not so easy.

>> No.10395895

>>10395728
>Have fun through going through timer based and ad infested east european websites when archive.org takes out all the roms
I'm unironically hoping Archive.org removes all roms, just because hosting roms jeopardizes Archives existence, and you have stupid faggots without a lick of opsec who post on youtube and apparently reddit going "NOW IF YOU WANT ILLEGAL PIRATE GAMES GO TO ARCHIVE.ORG."

>> No.10395898

>>10395728
Whatever shall I do without all the worthless shovelware I'll never play wasting space on my computer drive

>> No.10396029

>>10385426
First, external HDDs full of roms as a means of preservation. Not meant for playing. Normally, as a personal stash, but I share them if needed.

Second, a handpicked selection of roms (a few hundred) for the systems I like, inside the main partitions of my devices. Those are the ones I play, just several folders called "Manufacturer - System", with the roms inside of them. I have no interest in collecting artworks, but I keep a separate folder with some useful game manuals, if the game is complex enough to warrant it.

>> No.10396036

>>10395895
That's why emulation needs to be in a gray area: not too dark that it becomes hard to find information, but also not too bright that regular morons start spilling the beans at public square.

>> No.10396363

>>10393609
>moving files between two root folders while maintaining their full folder structure

Below is an example of a PowerShell script that moves files between two root folders while maintaining their full folder structure. This script recursively moves all files from the source folder to the corresponding destination folder.

powershell

param (
[string]$sourceFolder = "C:\Source",
[string]$destinationFolder = "C:\Destination"
)

# Function to recursively move files while maintaining folder structure
function Move-FilesRecursively {
param (
[string]$sourcePath,
[string]$destinationPath
)

# Get all files in the current source directory
$files = Get-ChildItem -Path $sourcePath -File

foreach ($file in $files) {
# Determine the relative path of the file from the source folder
$relativePath = $file.FullName.Substring($sourcePath.Length)

# Construct the destination path for the file
$destinationFilePath = Join-Path -Path $destinationPath -ChildPath $relativePath

# Create the destination directory if it doesn't exist
$destinationDirectory = [System.IO.Path]::GetDirectoryName($destinationFilePath)
if (-not (Test-Path -Path $destinationDirectory)) {
New-Item -ItemType Directory -Path $destinationDirectory -Force
}

# Move the file to the destination folder
Move-Item -Path $file.FullName -Destination $destinationFilePath -Force
Write-Host "Moved: $($file.FullName) to $($destinationFilePath)"
}

# Recursively call the function for each subdirectory
$subdirectories = Get-ChildItem -Path $sourcePath -Directory
foreach ($subdirectory in $subdirectories) {
Move-FilesRecursively -sourcePath $subdirectory.FullName -destinationPath $destinationPath
}
}

# Call the function with the specified source and destination folders
Move-FilesRecursively -sourcePath $sourceFolder -destinationPath $destinationFolder

>> No.10396368

>>10395898
Idk bud, that's tuff.

>> No.10396387

>>10396363
lmfao

>> No.10396542

10-16 TB HDDs are cheap nowadays, just buy one and make it a dedicated emulation disk with the whole collections of roms/isos. That's what I did.

>> No.10396548

>>10396542
Cheap? Few hundred bucks from a glance.

>> No.10396553

>>10396548
That's cheap since you need only one, probably for life.

>> No.10396565

>>10396553
>HDD
>for life
Had a decade old HDD die on me recently

>> No.10396593

>>10396553
>That's cheap since you need only one, probably for life.
Anon, all storage medium will die. Even if it's only used one and put back in the box. Hell, I had a PSU fail in my PC and fuck over my OS drive recently, while my external is showing age and sounds like a blender being run.

>> No.10396713

Only thing that limits me is filesize practicality. I don't have the fastest internet and I use a lot of HDD storage on videos and music already.

I just download full romsets for all the 8/16 bit cartridge based consoles/handhelds, where the filesizes are reasonable. N64 library is pretty small too. For anything PS1 or later, where CDs and DVDs became the primary medium, I just curate a selection of the best/most popular games.

I just keep them all sorted into subfolders for each system, and I associate the filetype to the emulator so that double-clicking a rom opens it in the required emulator. Simples.

>> No.10397465

>>10396553
>probably for life.
You're putting a lot of faith in tidepods kiddo

>> No.10397692

>>10385426
*gasp*
Its a Unix system!

>> No.10398858

>>10385426
I just download a game when I want to play it. It's pointless to organize when dowloading is faster that remembering whether I already have it. It's going to disappear when the hard drive crashes anyway.

>> No.10398936

>>10385426
I set up certain parameters for my library. I wanted every commercially-available game, and I wanted the US version if possible. If not, I wanted the European version, and the Japanese or whatever other region failing that. I'm a boomer, so I've had the bulk of my library for 20 or so years now. We didn't have some of the resources back then that we do now, and I've never trusted anyone else not to miss something, so I always did it the hard way, and still do. I'd get the entire romset (which sometimes required me to manually download every single game 1 or 2 at a time from some shitty website if I couldn't find a torrent for an obscure console, which I usually couldn't). Then I'd find a comprehensive list of games for that console (Just about every console has a fan website that lists every game released for it) and I'd go through that list, testing each game one at a time to make sure I had working files, hunting for missing games, and eliminating region dupes as I encountered them. Yes, it was more trouble than I needed to go through, but I actually found it fun. Nowadays I don't have any issues finding complete sets, so at least that'll be easier when I get around to doing the PS2 and beyond.

My goal has always been to have one machine that could run everything that could be emulated (except for DS and 3DS, which I have a 3DS for. If there's something I can do on PC that emulates a touch screen in a non-stupid fashion, let me know.) That's easily attainable now as far as system requirements go, but data storage is another thing entirely, and your machine starts to get really expensive when you need close to 90TB of storage.

>> No.10400308

>>10398936
worst.larp.ever.

>> No.10400319

>>10385426
/psx/roms/
/snes/roms/
/gb/roms/
etc.
like a civilized human being

>> No.10400328

>>10400319
Do you have other things in PSX and SNES folders? Because I do it the other way around:

roms/SNES
roms/Playstation
etc etc

>> No.10400331

>>10400319
/thread

>> No.10400340

>>10400328
i put the emulator and associated files into their respective folders.
so it's be like

/snes/snes9x.exe
/snes/savestates/
/snes/roms/
/snes/whatever_else_seems_appropriate

>> No.10400358

>>10385426
I just organize game files by console then add shortcuts through Steam to have everything unified in one place
I don't really like downloading whole romsets because it takes up too much space and is just a pain to sort through I just curate good games to keep around

>> No.10400365

>>10385426
steam rom manager+retroarch
all the other options are fucking dogshit

>> No.10400791

>>10400358
>using Steam when there's no reason to
If you love your launcher so much marry it

>> No.10400795

A cheap low-capacity USB thumb drive in the current year holds 64 GB. Not downloading full sets for cartridge systems is just autism at this point.

>> No.10400874
File: 73 KB, 498x762, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10385426
Most of these are complete romsets.

>> No.10400901

>>10396565
>>10396593
nta but if you buy a HDD now then by the time it dies SSDs of that size will probably be super affordable if not superseded by an even better storage medium.

>> No.10400909

>>10400795
I get it. Some Romsets that have 15 betas of the same game do get annoying.

>> No.10401751

>>10400909
This, full romsets sound convenient until you realize the game you want to play has 15 different versions in your set and you need to google which one is the best. At that point might as well delete the rest and only download the good stuff

>> No.10401754

>>10401751
How do you know what "the good stuff" without all that googling?

>> No.10402734

>>10401751
Download no-intro sets if you don't want the extra roms.
You should never need to google 15 games, you want roms that have ! (good dump) and (U) American version, and the revision with the highest version number. Everything that isn't an official release is for hardcore enthusiasts or zoomshits who need "quality of life" hacks, and if you only play those you didn't really play the game.
The only reason to consider not playing the US version is if it's radically different like Bayou Billy on NES. You don't need to check every single game.

>> No.10403663

>>10390589
>game preservation
Its called piracy

>> No.10404212

>>10403663
No, piracy is when I share with other people, which I do a lot. It's the final act, the most beautiful and meaningful one. When I'm carefully storing games for future use, ensuring they won't be lost and locked behind scummy practices, then it's only preservation. The first act, necessary and useful, but still not complete.

>> No.10404240

>>10403663
50 years ago it was 1973. Videogames were already widespread, they are now part of the archaeological record. These so called "game preservationists" are akin to graverobbers and rich faggots who want stuff for their private collections. If they really cared about game preservation, they would all come together to archive each individual physical copy into a backup database by serial number. Then they would relenquish their private collections to museums to hold onto until for future archival, but they don't. Because they don't actually care about preserving videogames, they just care about having a nice private collection and stroking their efos

>> No.10404269

>>10402734
No-intro do have those millions of versions because they include shit like leaked beta versions, virtual console versions, mini consoles versions and any other roms ripped from modern rom compilations. Just look at this shit
https://archive.org/download/nointro.md

How many different beta versions from those ancient sports games do you really want to play?

>> No.10404281

>>10385426
i have a separate folder per game cause i use console specialist ex(duckstation,pcx2) and just have a folders of zipped,unzipped to play and the actual software to play it on

>> No.10404282

>>10404269
Um, sweaty, it's important that we preserve every single line of code ever written, even if it's worthless garbage that nobody cares about. Why? Ugh, because it just IS, okay?!

>> No.10404613

>>10404212
>When I'm carefully storing games for future use, ensuring they won't be lost and locked behind scummy practices, then it's only preservation.
Imagine being so deluded you imagine downloading ROMs is that

>> No.10404834

Download entire romsets and keep them archived, and pull out games one by one when I want to play them. You'll naturally curate a list of games you like that way.

>> No.10404930

>>10404240
>Then they would relenquish their private collections to museums to hold onto until for future archival, but they don't. Because they don't actually care about preserving videogames, they just care about having a nice private collection and stroking their efos
Fuck you, commie cocksucker.

>> No.10405225

>>10402734
>you want roms that have ! (good dump) and (U) American version
Umm excuse me my romset is JP only, and yes I download FDS games instead of NES US releases too. Which by the way poses another problem for full rom sets, JP versions often have completely different names and finding their doubles may be a major hassle

>> No.10405284

>>10404240
Possibly the most hilarious rant of seething poorfag cope I've ever read.
9001/troll
You were trolling, right?

>> No.10405827

>>10404613
Imagine being so inept you can't even share things online. I'm impressed you can even muster the minimum coordination to post here.

>> No.10405846

>>10404269
see >>10393462
I download the full set and take the games out when I want to play them. Basically I'm not going to curate shit because I'm not a turd worlder who has to worry about wasting single GB's of storage, or an autismcuck who is bothered about having games they're not going to play. Since you're talking about 20 betas of sports games these are cartridge full sets that take up minimal space.
The way the games are compressed makes the alternates take up no space, making your autism even more retarded.

>> No.10405864

>>10405225
A good set will have all the versions in one 7z file, but some of them just dump all the roms together to make it easier for retropie shitters

>> No.10407287

>>10405827
Imagine being so booty blasted you project this hard

>> No.10407326
File: 104 KB, 725x858, romlist.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10385426
I usually download entire romsets, including 5th gen. I won't for PS1 since there's just so much. Everything cartridge-based is backed up. For CD games, I compress what I can into chd files.

I also have terabytes of eXoProject, NeoKobe, and old windows game collections.