[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/vr/ - Retro Games

View post   

File: 231 KB, 663x1000, starforce.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10256432 No.10256432 [Reply] [Original]

Generic tips n tricks thread. Post games you are trying to gitgud at and see if other anons know arcane secrets to help you improve.

Currently trying to beat pic, US NES version. Far as I can make it is level 3. Does anyone know if this use an "AI difficulty" increase like Zanac and Xevious? It certainly seems like it might.

>> No.10256458

Memorizing the enemy spawns is key to this game, but their rate of speed is RNG.

>> No.10256552

Shin Megani Tensei 1
There’s decades old shitty advice from GameFAGs that states you should run a strength build for you main character and for your Chaos hero. This information got parroted ad-nauseam around the internet and still gets repeated on 4chan. It’s wrong.
MAIN CHARACTER : You should be running SPD/Luck build. Dump your initial starting stats into SPD. Pump Luck until around level 10 or so, the rest of your luck you can gain from incense. Luck will help you get drops, drops = more money.Then focus on vitality after that. Your strength you will gain from incense and endgame equipment.
Strength is fuckin useless as a build because you will not get a good sword until very late in the end game. You will want to be using status inflicting bullets with your multti-hit guns, and running away from battles with enemies that reflect /immune from physical (ghost type enemies). Fast speed will allow your main character to act as a healer. Use beads for full heals, and that item that revives (I forget the name of it).
CHAOS HERO: Use a fucking magic build. He has fire magic that obliterates all the undead enemies you face in the first part of the game. His maragi makes those annoying ZOMBIE SOLDIER fights a fuckin breeze. Again strength is useless because the equipment available sucks.

>> No.10257619

>>10256432
To my understanding, the enemy patterns arrive in a set order; if you die, you continue seeing the next set of enemies. Memorizing enemy patterns is still helpful, but dying means that they'll desync from stage to stage. Godspeed you OP, this is one of the hardest NES I've ever put an attempt at beating. You've got 24 stages ahead of you. Good luck.

>> No.10259054
File: 113 KB, 474x529, 1586500179108.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>10256432
>Generic tips n tricks thread.
Sonic 2 on Game Gear
I know most struggle with the 1st boss on this one, my tip is to stand still around the end of that slope, near the boss, and when the bomb comes you run down, towards the boss, then jump, targeting the top right corner, and after that you correct your jump towards the left, if done right, you should dodge the bomb.

>> No.10259064

>>10257619
the Mexican Runner's video of Star Force was like 7 hours, but he did a bunch of save state practice and actually played two different sessions. the second attempt I think he cleared it in 2 hours once he got the patterns down. that said I believe the Famicom original is easier than the US release.

>> No.10259121

if you're not up to US Star Force just play the easier Famicom game instead

>> No.10259125

>>10259064
I checked the video. He spent about 3 hours on attempt #2 and also he was playing on a shitty Xbox emulator that had frequent choppy framerate. My suspicion is that Star Force actually isn't as hard as it looks on hardware+CRT, much like Battletoads.

>> No.10259162

>>10259064
>Famicom original is easier than the US release.
Anyone able to elaborate on this? Ive seen this mentioned a couple places, but no info on whats actually easier about it besides some glitch that prevents enemies from spawning.

>> No.10259393

>>10259125
I pondered that as well. Is the game _actually_ that brutal or is it just shitty emulation?