Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.72071448 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

DMing question for you guys.
> players are in mine with flammable vapors that can explode them if lit
> they avoid lighting fires or using fire spells to not get exploded
> later in fight, player uses a lightning spell
> google "does electricity ignite vapors" -> yes -> OK
> accidentally ignites vapors and giant explosion nearly kills the whole party
> saves made, damage rolled
> party goes from 80% to like 20%

The actual situation is hilarious, but I'm wondering now if I should let him take it back? We had to stop right after the action was resolved on his turn because something else came up.

He casted lightning with the intention of avoiding an explosion, but didn't realize lightning would also cause a fire. I would normally have warned him beforehand, but I didn't actually think about lightning being something that would cause a fire until he used it.

So now I'm wondering, since I didn't give him a warning it would happen, whether I should retcon it, since he feels shitty for almost killing the party from his mistake.

>> No.72071534

Don't be a bitch, stand by your rulings

>> No.72072163

>>72071448
I would NOT retcon this situation.

>> No.72072231

>>72071448
Play it where it lies. Memorable moments come from adversity.

>> No.72072303

>>72071448
Either choice might be valid. If you retcon it, the palyers will be happy but it's a possible slippery slope to retconning other stuff that should not be retconned. If you don't retcon it, you maintain your integrity, but the players get pissed off at you being That DM because you did something you technically didn't warn them about.

And that's the ibggest problem here. You shouldn't have made that decision in the first place because you didn't warn them. Yeah, TECHNICALLY, what you declared IS how it should work, but the players are still going to be pissed off because of this lack of a warning.

>> No.72072790

Never retcon anything. Actions should have consequences. People make mistakes, people make the wrong assumptions. That's life and that's part of the game too.

Burning all the vapours may have interesting results.

>> No.72073014

>>72072303
What constitutes a warning? Clearly op's players knew that a wrong move could result in an explosion, but still decided to ignite a spark. I get what you are getting at, but op should also think about whether he wants to set this kind of precedent in this kind of situation. Obviously no one wants to be That DM, but I definitely don't want my players thinking they can just "oh then I definitely wouldn't have done that" out of every situation.

>> No.72073099

>>72073014
>Clearly op's players knew that a wrong move could result in an explosion
Based on what the OP wrote, they only knew that fire spells were dangerous and were not told anything about lightning spells. Even OP himself only thought about it later on. A warning would have been something like...

>Oh, by the way, lightning is dangerous as well. Are you SURE you want to cast that spell.

Sure, players might have still been miffed but at least they wouldn't have screwed over by something they weren't told about.

Remember, OP didn't say "all magic is dangerous," he only said "fire magic is dangerous."

>> No.72073119

>>72071448
>google "does electricity ignite vapors" -> yes -> OK
If there is reasonable cause to think that the player's character could know this information, then you should have warned him in advance that this would happen. Otherwise, everything is fine.

>> No.72073151

>>72071448
You all are having fun and it's fine, if they all laughed and liked it you should keep it as it is.
You all probably don't have some sort of formation or knowledge about physics or chemistry to know what would happen, so next time you should simply roll with what makes sense for the whole table and then research later. It's your world, with magic and substances that may not exist in ours, and being consistent with the logic there is far more important than emulating the real world 1:1 as long as you keep common sense.

>> No.72073152

>>72071448
On a dm related note, try not to yoink parts of players toolkits for realism's sake, it doesn't facilitate interesting choices or whatever it just limits player agency.
If I were a red draconic sorc or an evoker in your game I'd be super peeved. From a realism standpoint my character would never go into such a crippling environment.

>> No.72073249

did nobody really guess that a lightning bolt might ignite flammable vapors? that shit's like six times as hot as the surface of the sun.

play it as it lies wherever possible, but you're the only source of information about the game world. if you feel you misled the players about the nature of the situation, you should probably find a way to fix it, either rolling back that turn or figuring out a way to resolve it with less damage.

>> No.72074601

>>72071448
That player lost a golden opportunity to say:

"Inflammable means flammable? What a kingdom!"

>> No.72078039

Electrical discharges ignite fucking everything, look at how many house fires are started by faulty phone chargers. It's an easy mistake to make in a panic, and this will be a lesson to the whole party. Keep it and don't retcon.

>> No.72078383

>>72073152
aww im sorry you're such a bitch who avoids interesting situations because they're haaard :(

>> No.72078556

>>72071448
Don't retcon it, but next time, if the PC would know, do warn the player that his action would cause an explosion. I think you did make a mistake by ruling it out of logic, rather than narrative. The players trust that you are fair, and given that a wizard would know things go boom, you betrayed their trust. It happens to me too so don't worry, git gud.

>> No.72079342

Don't retcon, mainly because your players live in the 21st century and should already know that electricity can cause fires. Another reason not to is that the party lived. Instead, do what >>72072790 said and have an interesting consequence, or interesting consequences, for the flammable vapors being burned up. Improvise

>> No.72079434

>>72071448
Don't retcon it.

Your thinking is valid, though. You're going, "ah, this explosion took a lot of player resources".

However, its hard for me to answer for you without knowing how you like your games. Simulation-heavy? Narrative? Anyway...

What I'd do, I'd take the rest of the adventure I'd planned, and tone it down. Maybe say that the explosion also caused a lot of damag to the enemies. Made the cave unstable. Whatever.

Basically, I'd adjust the REST of the adventure, INSTEAD of messing around with retconning.

Why?

Because it's more elegant. The playesr will NEVER know you toned the rest down. They WILL know if you ask them for a retcon. This is important.

If you're clever about it, you can have the rest of the cave be some kind of lightning-hazard themed thing. Duel in the clashes of thunder, pent-up static electricity fields burn the unwary. Sudden magnetic shifts cause metal items to skitter away. Panicky cave denizens trying to GTFO because their home has been set to Crispy. Go nuts, you know. Have some fun with it.

But don't retcon it. I'd say, retconning is a last resort. It's clumsy, it's inelegant, it costs player uspension of disbelief.

>> No.72079958

>>72073152
Oh no, the wizard is gimped, what will he do now???

>> No.72080183

>>72071448

Don't retcon. This being said, it's debatable if it made sense (does lighting also make you deaf? It's a fucking lightbolt, it should have a thuder) and you should probably say "ok, guys, we might or not imply it's how we're gonna deal with this kinda of shit from now on".

FWIW I would've made myself certain the players knew there were these vapors and nudged in case the wizard to make a check, I suppose in wizardry schools they speak about safety in their line of work.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action