Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 1.01 MB, 1868x2077, 760EBE05-2854-4375-B295-63B3FF676F10.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
71111281 No.71111281 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

What is the most valuable, most easily directly transferable information a person from our world, with no equipment on his person or an industrial base to work with, could possibly tranfer to a low-tech population?
The recent influx of Isekai threads got me thinking about how an Isekai scenario might affect the surrounding community. I’m not referring to ‘protagonist uses his great knowledge of MMOs and hentai to become king of the world and have every imaginable fetish fulfilled by his willing harem’. I’m thinking if you have NO modern materials to work with, and you can’t assume the locals offer you a position of power, what could you do that made the most impact on the setting?
Specialized knowledge is allowed. Just keep in mind the limitations of the surrounding medieval-esque society. Being an engineer and knowing how a train works doesn’t mean you can reproduce trains from scratch. You need to be able to produce large amounts of decent quality steel, fashion industrial tools etc.
I’m thinking medical knowledge like how to avoid infections, how to make penicillin and how the human body works would take you a long way.
An economist is more boring, but could have a large impact. Actually understanding how inflation works, how to specialize production, set up assembly lines and such might revolutionize a society in the right circumstances.
Even - hear me out - sociology could do a difference. HR stuff like how to manage people most effeciently for a task, how to balance disciplin and trust in the individual. I’ve often read that the most effecient rulers were the ones who understood basic concepts like ‘working regular hours’ and ‘listening to advisors’. Just making people aware of these to us obvious ideas could change a lot.
Bonus question: most impactful invention that could be reproduced in a medieval society?

>> No.71111336

Philosophy of science would make a ridiculous difference. Also material technology, with metallurgy and ceramics at the forefront.

>> No.71111337

>>71111281
a lot of what makes modern society work is just variations of "don't act like a crazy cunt for no reason."
I think whatever gets you into a position where you can apply that is likely to have the biggest impact.

>> No.71111509

Since most of my professional knowledge is based on semiconductor technology, most of it is effectively useless. But even basic electricity is some pretty high technology compared to what any pre industrial civilization had access to, so even getting a simple heating element (a piece of metal wich a current flows through that heats up due to its electrical resistance) to work would potentially revolutionize society. As this is the single most basic useful application of electrical engineering I can think of this would be my first attempt I guess. Now comes the hard part: getting a reliable current source. The most basic (and ancient) versions of a generator I am aware of are the Greek technique of rubbing amber with a cloth or a pelt to produce static electricity, which in turn could be exploited in something akin to a van de graaf generator and the second version would be the Baghdad battery, where you stick copper, a stick of iron and some acidic fluid (plus a container and whatever wiring and device you need) per battery. So depending on what resources are actually available I would probably choose either of those options. If actual magnets are available on sufficient quantities then you could even attempt some kind of inductive generator...
until I get lynched for witchcraft, at least

>> No.71111514

>>71111281
I'm just going to ask the essential question. How do you expect to have anyone listen to you? Sheer force of personality?

>> No.71111528

>>71111514
A gun.

>> No.71111530

https://youtu.be/1a-QpyF7rNc

>> No.71111544

>>71111281
assembly line knowledge - easily transferable, enlarges production a lot

>> No.71111548

>>71111281
The benefits of proper waste disposal and importance of keeping clean water and sewage separate.

>> No.71111564

>>71111281
Maxwell's laws are up there, especially coupled with stuff like assembly lines that we take for granted

Especially if all you really need is "spinny magnet and copper make sparks"

>> No.71111566

>>71111281
>Bonus question: most impactful invention that could be reproduced in a medieval society?
Printing press.

>> No.71111578

penicilin

>> No.71111624

>>71111336
>Philosophy of science would make a ridiculous difference
This. We underestimate just how bizarre this idea is that literally every process happening around us can be expressed in mathematical terms. There's no real reason to just assume it out of the blue, but it has become so ingrained in Western society that we can't imagine life without that assumption.

>> No.71111644

>>71111281
Probably modern math and the scientific method.
Everything or modern civilisation created has its root based on the scientific revolution of the renaissance and math and everything related to it are the best tool you could have.
It will not be an easy project, you will not wake up to shitpost on your isekai-chan overnight, but it should be the best thing you could do

>> No.71111645

>>71111281
Assuming that their world works the same way ours does then >>71111548 is right. Basic medicine and hygiene would be huge. Lots of concepts which are insanely important are very recent discoveries. It also helps that you can be approximately right about how they work and still do a lot of good, versus lots of other technology which can require some fairly precise technical know how. On the other hand persuading people to adopt new medical and hygiene technology has been a pretty difficult process in history, so you'd probably have problems.

>> No.71111673

>>71111281
>Bonus question: most impactful invention that could be reproduced in a medieval society
Vaccination and germ theory would do a lot for people's health and so productivity.

Rrally anything that's a method or theory rather than a peiceof technology would do well. Stuff like 4 field crop rotation instead of 2 field should be relatively easy too convince some farmers to try and would demonstrate Its effectiveness well.

>> No.71111695

>>71111645
>On the other hand persuading people to adopt new medical and hygiene technology has been a pretty difficult process in history, so you'd probably have problems

At the base tech level were likely looking at there should be some straight forward demonstrations you can do (food in a sealed container takes longer to spoil) and some things are already known to work just not why (cleaned wounds get infected less)

>> No.71111698

>>71111673
Speaking of which - composting. It got almost abandoned in Europe after the fall of Rome and it's a ridiculous boon to agriculture of done properly.

>> No.71111724

>>71111281
Penicillin.

>> No.71111817

>>71111281
Sterilization of medical tools before surgery. Extremely simple, no need for more explanation, just tell them to do that and watch the number of death during surgical operation decrease immediately.

>> No.71111830

The S bend.

>> No.71111839

>>71111281
Once in econometrics class I heard about a guy that used time series analysis to predict the weather (or rather accurately estimate it) and then got burned at the stake for witchcraft.

Things were better in the good old days.

>> No.71111859
File: 575 KB, 1600x1000, RhsotJxoA-Jo_tpt1MlPulukvD7a_lWwDWKH8I9h8I4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

You can get this on a t-shirt.

>> No.71111938

>>71111514
OP here. That’s part of the challenge. You can’t assume people will listen to you. I was thinking your best bet would be an improvement so obvious it can’t be ignored.

>> No.71111957
File: 380 KB, 1600x1130, horse drawn thresher.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281
You can basically, build your knowledge base up from the bottom. Meaning that you can give the basics for a support structure that will allow you the free time to be able to bring forth the other "discoveries & inventions." A rather loose base would be as follows, with the top most being taught first,

Medical knowledge (germ theory, anti-bionics, anti-septics)
Farming knowledge (nitrogen cycle, genetics, combine harvester-thresher)
Scientific method
Mathematics (calc, linear algebra, trig, Euc/non-Euc geo, fluid dynamics, )
Physics (15 lawmakers and their laws of physics: Newton, Pascal, Bernoulli, etc)
Chemistry (Periodic chart of elements, Haber-Bosch process, gunpowder, coke fuel)
Materials tech (Oersted aluminum isolation, high carbon steel, stainless steel, borosilicate glass, Bessemer process, latex rubber, gunpowder)
Mechanical (steam engine, ICE, pneumatics)

Once a small population is better fed, in a less work-heavy manner, it will allow free time to do everything else needed. From there you can ramp right up to the industrial age very quickly. If you can't feed the population efficiently then all of this is completely moot.

>> No.71112149

>>71111673
Lots of things are dependent on other things.
Crop rotation is pretty common in lots of early societies but read some where that more advanced versions need ploughs and draft horses to function.

>> No.71112167

>>71111281
I am a physician, if I can get them to take me seriously I could change the world.

>> No.71112203

>>71111281
I'd be armed with my knowledge as an EMT. If I was isekaied a year from now I'd bring the knowledge of a Paramedic. This isn't anything terribly big in the modern world, but I would revolutionize anatomical science and introduce at least a fair amount of groundbreaking treatments.

>> No.71112212

>>71111938
Long as you don't offend religious types, I bet it will be fine

>> No.71112307

>>71112149
Yeah, most tehcniques for farming are centuries old, but the main problem is that they were not combined to form a better overall method. In addition, modern levels of fertilizer is the main crux of the situation. No matter how well your methods are the lack of modern levels of fertilizer is a huge issue. This is only if you wish to industrialize the farming method to the point where the populace will have more free time for other developmental pursuits. The Haber-Bosch process is one such method of attaining modern levels of fertilizer.

>more advanced versions need ploughs and draft horses to function.
Normally, you can get around this via planting certain root crops and using the field for pasture for certain types of animals. Like daikon radish and pigs for instance. The former breaks up the soil and the latter plows up things. Both fertilize via green manure and manure, respectively.

>> No.71112315

>>71111281
Depending on how witch-hating the local populace is, you could do a bunch of things like using lemon for invisible ink, or predicting an eclipse and be called a wizard. After that you could convince some local noble to take you as advisor and get the resources to do stuff like proper metallurgy, which would more or less turn your little kingdom into a world power. Gunpowder and electricity would also have a similar impact

>> No.71112319

>>71112212
Join the largest most powerful group(religion), attain "Divine Inspiration!", go from there.

>> No.71112876

>>71112319
>implying they won't nail you for pretending divine intervention

>> No.71112940
File: 15 KB, 297x380, Santi_di_Tito_-_Niccolo_Machiavelli's_portrait_headcrop.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>everyone talking about natural sciences, medecine and engineering
>no mention of social sciences
>mfw

>> No.71113037
File: 11 KB, 220x329, 220px-Ayn_Rand_by_Talbot_1943.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71112940
They thought they summoned a hero. They were wrong.

>> No.71113201
File: 197 KB, 1181x1758, 5b9dd8528c085c20a6e2e886fee50c9d.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71112940
>Machiavelli
>not sun tsu
It's like you don't even want to become king by your own hand
>but that is a story for another time

>> No.71113352
File: 105 KB, 1280x720, drstone-1559174341319.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281
Speaking of technological uplifting, how realistic is Dr. Stone? Assuming that you are an absurd hypergenius like Senku.

>> No.71113413

>>71112876
You don't understand how that stuff works. It is all convenient political excuses for change. You just need high charisma to pull it off with the people in charge.

>> No.71113429

>>71111281
Germ theory
Division of Labor
Consolidated Education
Standardized spelling
Scientific Method
Eugenics

>> No.71113469

>>71111673
4 field crop rotation only works well using specific combinations of crops, and unless you know what those are it isn’t gonna work. Farmers were not idiots, if they could increase their harvest that easily it would have been done long ago. Chris

>> No.71113516

>>71113352
well Dr.Stone (from what I gathered) actually has people from times when tech existed and so it's far more viable.

People at the very least have foundation of "this existed and is totally possible" and won't cockblock you at every opportunity.

>> No.71113740

>>71111644
I'm lucky to remember basic when I'm tired. What else can I do?

>> No.71113744

>>71113352
Not counting his genius and memory, what's really on his side is luck so he doesn't have to redo a part of a machine no one else in his group ever made 4-5 times while he only have a limited time to do it.

>> No.71113880

>>71111514
Jihad.
Convert or die. Worked pretty well.

>> No.71115452

>>71111830
Is this a plumbing thing or something else?

>> No.71115548

>>71111281
>What is the most valuable, most easily directly transferable information a person from our world, with no equipment on his person or an industrial base to work with, could possibly tranfer to a low-tech population?

What makes you think a “low-tech” population has any use or esteem for your janky half-remembered contrivances and vague esoterica?

Isekai is a fucking stupid genre and your neocolonial white-savior fantasies are lame as hell.

>I’m thinking medical knowledge like how to avoid infections, how to make penicillin and how the human body works would take you a long way.

People have always known how to treat infections. Natural antibiotics and medicinal plants are prolific and well-understood.

>An economist is more boring, but could have a large impact

lmfao, an economist would sit around trying to convince everyone that they’re stupid for sharing food with each other and not valuing material goods beyond the time it takes to make them.

>HR stuff like how to manage people most effeciently for a task, how to balance disciplin and trust in the individual

Ah yeah, scientific management, the art of commodifying labor. Did you know that was invented on slave plantations?

TL;DR, OP is a DUMB FUCK

>> No.71115594
File: 34 KB, 425x340, it depends.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281
What's the "low-tech" actual meaning here? What is the climate in which they are living? What are their customs? Is it "real" setting or we are talking full blown fantasy, with magic and stuff?
And so on and forth, but in your 2k sign mental fart, you forgot to provide us with actual set-up to consider your question, rendering any answer to it equally useless and lacking value

>> No.71115647

>>71113880
I'd introduce Islam, or Scientology if that is already taken. It might not be the most valuable information for society, but it'll make me a religious leader, and not one of those penniless hippies like Jesus or Buddha.
My detailed knowledge of another world would help tell all sorts of stories that could help convince people that I am a real prophet.

>> No.71115678

>>71115594
OP does state, "medieval society," at the bottom of his tl;dr post. 99% of your questions can be answered easily by perusing this,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Medieval_society

>> No.71115695

If you want to get disgustingly rich then knowledge of Tar. Low quality metals, forges that can't sustain the intense heat of producing modern alloys, and large costs of experimentation are gonna fuck up any attempt at producing reliable modern technology but knowing how to separate Coal into Coke, Coal-Tar, and Coal-Gas is way easier to monetize especially if you can reproduce Mauveine and sell purple dyed cloth to nobility.

>> No.71115717

>>71111281
Knowing how to farm? If you can make crops and breed animals on a grand scale you can trade those for other shit and then become rich and well connected.

>> No.71115720

>>71111281
None.
>Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's court
>tell them you're a wizard and get a bunch of money and power for doing parlor tricks.

>> No.71115733

>>71111514
Blazing confidence and impeccable hygiene.

>> No.71115768

>>71111281
Diplomacy.

Modern psychoanalytical techniques, especially as they apply to the ability to manipulate and persuade, will be the most valuable thing you could take with you and the thing that you could most easily use without any additional resources. HR stuff ties in to this, but the fundamental ability to make friends of enemies and allies of strangers means that all other avenues of knowledge application become vastly easier to implement.

Knowing how to build an engine is great. Knowing how to build an engine and being able to persuade the village headman and blacksmith to help you do it, though? That's enough to build an empire.

>> No.71115781

>>71115594
>medieval-esque
>medieval
OP here. If you read my fucking post you might have a better chance of sounding smart when being dismissive of it.
And please don’t begin with “Ack-tully modern historians don’t use medieval as a time period anymore and medieval was always just a constructed term”. You know what the fuck it means. Use the brain nature endowed you with to be creative and fill out any gaps on your own.

>> No.71115863

>>71111336

That is exactly how Isaac Newton created an empire an Escaflowne.

On the other end, divination and tarot are excellent skills to have. Fortune tellers and people who could interpret tarot really well can be an asset in courts and if magic is involved, well you are off to a great start.

>> No.71115886

>>71111957
Go read "The Man Who Came Early" - you embody that character to the T with your Idea Guy approach

Solving your shit
>Medical knowledge
Alcohol distillation and cleaning with it
>Farming knowledge
Winnowing machine, horse harness
>Scientific method
Nothing.
Literally impossible to apply without proper socio-cultural build-up for it first, plus by itself it's useless anyway (you end up replicating the experiments, rather than doing any actual research if you don't have cultural reasons for it)
>Mathematics
Decimal system along with Indian/Arabic numerals
I doubt you know calculus or aplications for it, same with trigonometry, not to mention geometry at all. Meanwhile fluid mechanics are physics. Do you even know basic geometry well enough to provide basic equations?
>Physics
Nothing yet again
Yes, we know that saying "Give them Science!" sounds great... until you realise you know jack-shit about it yourself.
>Chemistry
Noting once more
Periodic char is useless by itself, along with knowledge contained in it. Haber-Bosch process requires electricity and quality steel, but I can't see any mentions of those on your "brilliance" list, gunpowder assumes you know how to mine or extract saltpeter (while you probably doesn't even know how it looks like, all while talking about fucking Haber-Bosch process, indicating you have no idea about basic, non-organic chemistry). Coke assumes you can mine coal and do so in quantity, otherwise you have nothing to make it with.

>1/2

>> No.71115891

>>71113352
I was told that what the priestess chick had was most likely pneumonia and that sulfa drug wouldn't actually cure that. Can anyone confirm?

>> No.71115901

>>71115886
>Materials tech
For actual low-tech: puddling process, concrete mill, porcelain
For something more advanced: Bessemer process
Production of aluminium requires huge amount of electric power, which you don't have (still not on the list). High carbon steel is fucking useless without means to further process it and requires fuck-huge infrastructure to make in quantity. Stainless steel requires chromium, which in native form is rare and in form of minerals requires complex refining (and economically large concentration of ore of said mineral first). Borosilicate glass again requires a fuck-huge industrial complex to make, especially if you don't have supplier of borax, sulphoric acid or the converters. Latex rubber as a synthetic is probably the biggest infrastructure demand from all the shit you've listed. Gunpowder -as in black powder - is fucking terrible, so at this point, you could at least start listing various nitrates instead, given you want to go Haber-Bosch, you retard.
>Mechanical
For actual low-tech: crank, multi-tackle, various pumps
For something more advanced: over-shot waterwheel
Once you have basics provided: steam beam pumps
"Steam engine" is such broad term and such material-demanding device that if you try to build it right off the bat with neither the materials nor precission tools, you are going to get fucked, hard. Pneumatics take the requirements of a steam engine and multiply them by the factor of ten.

tl;dr you are a classic example of Idea Guy, who is utterly clueless in actual application of any knowledge, while lacking even theoretical knowledge in the first place to try fiddle with it and apply it for anything. Aka the perfect target for Isekai Connecticut Yankee bullshit.
I'm sick and tired with fuckers that go with big ideas, but can't understand basics nor find practical applications for said basics.

>> No.71115919

>>71111514

Modern clothing is of exceptional quality compared to most eras of history, and likely to be of an unusual style in their eyes. You should be able to walk into any king's court and say "I am a travel nobleman of a far off land" and immediately have their attention for at least a few minutes. It wasn't uncommon for some kinds to keep travelers from foreign places in their court as guests for years at a time purely for the novelty of them. Be interesting, amusing, and informative and you should be able to get the ear of someone important soon.

>> No.71115951

>>71115886
>>71115901
Sure thing, kid.

>> No.71115955

>>71113352
Senku gets lucky as fuck in that he finds exactly the people he needs who can make extremely intricate componentry without too much difficulty.

If he hadn't met the old crafter dude he'd be completely shit out of luck.

>> No.71115957

>>71115781
My questions still stand, thou.
>B-but medieval answers them all!
It only broadly answers the tech-level question. We could spend then two hours arguing what even "medieval-esque" means, because just taking a glimpse of Europe-China-Middle East comparison is going to provide us vastly different technologies and technical capabilities. But fuck that, it's /tg/, so let's just think TL3 and be done with it.
Beyond "the setting is TL3", there are no further details to go with. So get fucked, OP

>> No.71115980

>>71115951
Not my fault you are a retard, bud.
I bet you don't even know how to magnetise a needle without electricity or using pre-existing magnet, but still want to talk about "Physics (TM)" or "Materials tech(R)"

>> No.71116024

>>71115957
>Comes to thread
>Spergs out
>Is called out on it
>Spergs more
>”Well I didn’t actually care anyways”
You really outdid yourself with the faggotry today.

>> No.71116043
File: 444 KB, 1920x1597, Langstroth_Frames.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281
Bee keeping

Modern apiaries are built with movable frames, that can be removed and harvested very easily and quickly. This is because the frames are specially sized that the gap between the frames and the box is 6-9 mm wide. For whatever reason, bees will not build hives across gaps smaller than 9 mm but larger than 6 mm. This innovation was only discovered in the 1800s, but requires no more technology than what humans had thousands of years ago.

>> No.71116053

>>71116024
>Is asked 3 simple question
>Doesn't answer them
>Spergs out
>When reminded about questions, spergs harder
>Quotes things that weren't said
You want help, or you want to throw a tantrum?

Climate, customs, fantasy or "real"? Go

>> No.71116083

>>71116043
What's with Amerilard and pushing Langstroth type of bee-hive? There are countless better types of hives that are in continous use prior to Langstroth and after him.

>> No.71116102

>>71115980
Dude, you are literally spazzing out on a board game forum about "real things" for OP's fantasy thought experiment. Take your autism pills already. Holy fuck. KEK

>> No.71116105

>>71115886
Ha ha, "the man who came early". That's what I heard from your ex-girlfriend.

>> No.71116114

>>71116083
Langstroth was American himself, so go fucking figure. I was worse reason for people to resist upgrades, desu

>> No.71116122

>>71111938
Results speak. You just need some friends behind your back to get you established, and then once you start producing results, find a sponsor. Said sponsor will give you enough momentum that society will start changing because to do otherwise is too inefficient.

>> No.71116138

>>71116102
>I am totally not clueless Idea Guy!
>You just have autism!
>KEKSIMUS MAXIMUS!
t. Idea Guy ashamed of being Idea Guy

Ashamed on fucking anonymous Tibetan tanka painting collective. A normal person would just shut the fuck up, but you are trying to instead save your fucking name.
YOU ARE ANONYMOUS, YOU MORON!

>> No.71116175

>>71116138
A normal person would make a 2-post max character rant.

>> No.71116187

>>71116053
The ‘tism is strong with this one.
To answer your questions:
>1. Fill the gaps yourself
>2. Fill the gaps yourself
>3. Fill the gaps yourself
You seem the only person in the thread unable to do so. Which is good for sifting out idiots, not so good for generating ideas and starting discussions.
I’m curious. If given an assigment at work, how do you handle it? Do you ask your boss ‘how do I solve the assignment?’ Or do you use your prior knowledge and capacity to think creatively to solve the assignment?

>> No.71116206

>>71116105
Not him, but that's one of the most classic time-travel stories. Instead of having an engineer or someone with particular skills, the guy that ends up in the past is your Joe Average, with no skills or knowledge in any field. The end result is series of grandiose ideas that all fail due to lack of said skills and knowledge, while also offending just about everyone in the local communities, getting banished and ultimately killed. Anderson is mostly famous for his time-travel stories, so it's not like he disliked the genre or didn't have characters that succeed with their plans. Instead, the big idea was to explain to own readers what it really takes to "give radio to Romans", or as this example goes, "give Vikings trans-oceanic vessels"

>> No.71116297
File: 153 KB, 735x735, 1574286777668.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71115951

>> No.71116304

>>71116083
I don't know man, I'm just some random internet guy. I found out about them and thought they were pretty neat. Is there some sort of heated drama in the apiary fan-club that I don't know about?

>> No.71116317

>>71116187
>I don't have a setting
Then you don't have a problem to solve. Ergo, we are back to my orginal post, where your whole "question" is just pointless argument starter.

Let me give you an example why those details you dismiss are so fucking important.
I decide to give "ice house" as the best thing you can introduce to such setting. But that assumes the location either isn't arctic (so ice house is pointless by default), while in the same time the temperature in any point of the year goes below 0 Celcius degrees. So the idea is pointless for, say, Chola dynasty in southern India, just like it would be pointless for Sami people in Lapland
Or I give you winnower, from the anon sperging about Idea Guys. Only to find out they are planting maize in this setting, thus they don't have to winnow their grain.
Or I declare alcohol distillation to be the most important stuff, only to end up among Muslims.
See where this is going? Or too busy being butthurt that you don't actually have any premise and made a thread that goes from nowhere to nowhere?

>> No.71116322

>>71111548
Was going to contribute this myself. Being able to offer a local lord/monarch “How would you like to be able to lay siege to your enemies castles without your own army dying from disease?”

Then proceed to instruct them in latrine trenches and use of soap to prevent dysentery. Boom. Move on to preventing malaria and plague.

After that, I’d try to get blacksmiths to make some machine tools so we can develop interchangeable parts and maybe a cooling cylinder for a steam boiler. But it depends on when we are.

Don’t underestimate our ancestors. They were making the best choices they could at the time and were far more clever than we might think.

>> No.71116378

>>71116206
Does he at least solve his premature ejaculation issue before they kill him?

>> No.71116438

>>71116304
Few days ago in /out/'s thread about gardening there was a heated debate about this. Well, generally about different bee-hives, but Langstroth type of bee-hive got hit by proxy.
Generally speaking, there are various types of bee-hives, each operating on slightly different principles and in different climates, with their own pros and cons. The climate part is especially important, at least if you have cold winters, because your bees are going to starve to death if you put them in wrong type of bee-hive, even if they are left with enough food to theoretically syrvive winter. And for whatever reason, Americans always behave like Langstroth was the only type of bee-hive in existence, which are generally bad and even outright terrible in harsh winters.
Said all that, Langstroth type of bee-hive is probably the easiest one to build from all of the "classic" bee-hives from the 19th century, but if I would have to absolutely pick one type, I would suggest Ostrowska's bee-hive. It doesn't have the capacity of Langstroth, but it allows the hive to survive easily even a very long winter (October-March) due to accomodating for that. It's similar to Langstroth, but aligned differently inside.

>> No.71116447

>>71116378
AFAIK, he doesn't have sex at all when stuck in the past.

>> No.71116551

>>71116322
>After that, I’d try to get blacksmiths to make some machine tools so we can develop interchangeable parts
Um... anon, don't want to break this for you, but as long as you plan to work with just that smith, you don't really NEED interchangeable parts. That despite building various basic machines that require internal, moving parts.
Interchangeable parts only are important when you plan to start mass-production of something, using jiggs, calibrated tools, presses and such. As long as you stick to artisian production, interchangeability is not helping, but making things harder.
In other words - you can have a blacksmith build you 100 threshing machines without him even thinking about making parts replacable. But if you plan to build a company that's gonna produce 100 machines per week, you are absolutely going to need to standarise the parts and make them internally exchangable and replacable.

>> No.71116633

>>71111624
You know... the scientific process isn't necesarrily about expressing it in mathematical terms.
Mathematical formulas just happen to be the predictive models we end up using.
Many real sciences don't express hypotheses into math at all.

>> No.71116687
File: 80 KB, 640x480, 137720.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71116447
No sex?

>> No.71116729

>>71116687
With issues like his, I doubt sex can even be fun

>> No.71116873

>>71116729
To be fair, I can't imagine sex being fun at all for a man. If you have problems cumming that's your problem, but if the woman has problems cumming that's also your problem. What should be a fun activity is instead a boring chore that you're also graded for to boot. At that point just beat your meat and get it out of your system.

>> No.71117268
File: 144 KB, 1100x606, 7A341711-6962-410B-A342-B6A60E6CF9EE.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71116317
>pointless argument starter
Anon, that’s the point. To start a discussion. To see people make up their own solutions to a general question, based on a combination of an original question and their own assumptions. Like talking about the weather to start a conversation, except for /tg/. The conversation is the point. People can be8ng what they want to the conversation and take away what they need. You want to change the subject to racehorses, you say “why lovely weather for horse racing” and go from there. If you’re interested in starting an industrial revolution in Song dynasty China it’s an opportunity to talk about industrial revolution i Song dynasty China. And other Anons might contribute or learn something.
This is why you don’t have a job, Anon. Because you’re shit with people.

Just for you, have a setting.
You’re transported to castle Montségur, 1240AD. The local are cathars and there’s a crusade coming in a few years. The climate is on the warmer side of temperate.
Now if you’re smart (and let’s be honest, you’re not) you’ll already see the problem with this approach. It doesn’t actually narrow things down all that much. There’s a million things we don’t know and can’t know about the area, their customs and the climate for the simple reason we can’t visit and see for ourselves. So no matter what fixed point is giving, you’ll still have to fill a ton of gaps. The difference is between filling the gaps yourself and complaing about not having the gaps filled for you.

>> No.71117274

>>71111830
S bends are illegal because they aren’t self scouring. Traps & P traps would help if they already have plumbing/pipe basics
t.plumber

>> No.71117358

>>71117268
Different anon, but have you considered you might be just as autistic as the guy you are replying to? I mean it's /tg/, people from all over the spectrum are expected, but come on

>> No.71117434

>>71111859
And most of it is garbage information.

>> No.71117486

>>71111281
Introduce the “Three Door” game in a decent sized town (no cities, you’ll get stabbed by the local racket, no small towns, they’ll kill you) & make some start up money. Don’t go over board with it either. Just a handful of games & don’t overstay your welcome or act like a dick.

Now you have enough money to pay for your first night’s food & maybe some clothes & a place to sleep.

Now go buy a barrel & make a water purifier. Sell it to a noble, king, priest or anyone who is wealthy, autonomous & will give you patronage. Sell water purifier barrels, “invent” penicillin & insulin, & teach hygiene & such. Gather loyal guards, if you save some mighty knights sick child with insulin you’re going to make fast friends.

Fuck bitches get gold. If your really evil, use your gathered influence to create the idea of banks.

>> No.71117527
File: 65 KB, 640x736, Even the cup is judging you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71117268
>If I'm an ignorant fuckwit, it means everyone is ignorant fuckwit, too: The Post
Why did you made this thread, if you openly declare yourself it serves no point nor purpose? Talking for the sake of talking is just retarded, even if you happen to be Angloid and thus "small talk" is part of your cultural upbring. Talking to solve a problem at hand, that's a different story. Talking on specific - and I mean specific - subject, too. But conversation for the sake of having a conversation indicates that you are bored and/or lonely, given you want to talk about completely random, and deliberately broad subject, with complete strangers you didn't even met.
In other words: have sex

And as for your example setting, one thing is know for sure: to get the fuck out of that place ASAP, and don't even look back. Then wonder what to do with yourself in southern France, circa 1240. I guess moving to Narbonne and explaining gaff and bermuda rig to any of the ship-wrights sounds like a plan.

>> No.71117722

>>71116729
Maybe he's in a society that doesn't know about female ejaculation and fingerblasting is the one skill he knows how to transfer.

>> No.71117750

>>71117722
>female ejaculation
I'm pretty sure they know about urine, anon.

>> No.71117777

I’m going to go with a wildcard here.

Tampons & their proper usage

>> No.71117818

>>71117777
I'm pretty sure they know about dead rats, anon.

>> No.71117848

>>71111281
Math. Physics. Metallurgy. Chemistry. Biology. Medicine. Agriculture. Architecture. Business. Administration. Just having freshman level knowledge of these things would greatly help advance primitive societies.

>> No.71117909
File: 9 KB, 184x184, 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281
condoms so low-tech and uneducated countries stop reproducing a bunch of useless niggers

>> No.71117932

>>71117777
Just look at those numbers

>> No.71117949

>>71117848
>>71116297

>> No.71117989

Early Capitalism
>If one hundred of us all put in a little, we can afford to finance this venture and get some good returns
Then bail from town if it fails, and repeat until it works. I don't know if I'd have the charisma to get a bunch of plebs on board, though.
That's literally it. I could, I guess, be a historian or a theologian or something. I can read and write, and can just regurgitate what other people have said. I know a lot of accounting principles, ones that go back to the times of the Roman Empire like double entry, but that relies on a society being complex enough to use currencies and not barter. Though, I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work with barter.

>> No.71118001

>>71117909
The Red Cross can't even do that in Africa, bro. Good luck you doing it on your own.

>> No.71118026

Id just open up a sandwich shop and become a famous merchant

>> No.71118080
File: 238 KB, 700x984, wat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71117989

>> No.71118115

>>71118001
Red cross is also run by a bunch of liberal cucks

>> No.71118144

>>71117909
>>71118115
How about instead turning them into productive and educated labour force, so they are too busy to reproduce? I mean seems to work in every place where it's tried

>> No.71118188

>>71116551
Unless those parts are standardized replacements across an entire industry. I.e., a screw.

>> No.71118201

>>71118080
Double entry. It's a very simple but very effective accounting principle, it was a great contributor to the growth of the Italian city states during the Middle Ages and is still used today. It existed early, but the great patron of the double-entry is Luca Pacioli who is called the Father of Bookkeepers. A Catholic priest. With early capitalism, separate from double entry, small groups would come together to share risk and reward. It did, of course, happen earlier in history but it picked up with large companies during the industrial revolution.

>> No.71118216

>>71118144
It might work in a fantasy world where everyone is genetically identical, or very little variation exists between groups.

>> No.71118230 [DELETED] 
File: 88 KB, 720x960, 165019_499795476719919_1610870238_n.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71118144
Have you seen the niggers in America? They are a lost cause. They didn't fully develop with evolution and now we have to deal with them.

Best way to deal with them is to eliminate them from the gene pool and let evolution continue. You think it's just chance that the continent of Africa is full of dumb niggers and the whole continent is living in the stone ages?

>> No.71118395

>>71117777
Quads wins. Invent the tampon & you’re going to be famous, rich & probably shift culture immensely when feminism comes early

>> No.71118488

>>71118395
For that you might want to spend your life trying to reinvent a washing machine. Ha Joon Chang claims that it was the most important invention for our society.

>> No.71118504

>>71118488
That’s actually not hard either if it’s a hand cranked one

>> No.71118516

>>71118488
Ha Joon Chang sounds like a fucking idiot

>> No.71118535

>>71118488
>Mention automating a stereotypical feminine chore
>haha sexism solved!

Dude sounds retarded

>> No.71118559

>>71118026
Did you make that up yourself, or is it a reference to Mostly Harmless?

>> No.71118562

>>71118516
It freed a workforce way bigger than Jacquard's Loom, which is often cited as the beginning of the industrial revolution. And yes, sorry, of course I wrote wrong, it was supposed to be "one of", he specifically said that a washing machine was more important than the Internet.

>> No.71118606

>>71111281
There was a youtube channel that used to make videos on this exact subject where the guy would basically make Bessemer furnaces in his backyard out of stuff you could conceivably produce or buy in the 15th century.

So, cheap steel would be a pretty huge one--the issue is that there's no way you could make an actual full-scale forge, but you COULD make a miniature one to prove the concept to people, which could then (potentially) enable you to get the patronage of some nobleman and actually start making bigger ones.

He also did one for some kind of fertilizer process which, when it was invented in Germany in the 19th century, basically began a massive population boom as cheap food caused Europe's population to balloon to capacity, something which later had the effect of making European agriculture hypercompetitive--but also making any collapse of agriculture disastrous.

>> No.71118627
File: 16 KB, 380x265, sprout.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281
It's hard to pin down a specific skillset if you don't know when, where, and in what kind of world you're going to end up. For example, if you know that you'll remain on Earth but you'll be teleported to a specific time and place in history, then the most valuable skills would be learning the language of that place and as much detail as you can get on the history and near-future of the place. Though of course, the further back you go the less viable it gets to gather enough detailled information.

Economy, management and leadership could prove to be extremely valuable skills, but only if you've actually got what it takes to get into a position to use those skills. As a random outsider with no background, that's going to be very hard in literally any setting unless it caters specifically to sucking off the protagonist (which to be fair is almost all isekai).

I think, taking into account the wide variety of places and situations you could get thrust into, the most valuable skills to have would be basic survival and self-defense skills. While these won't make you the hero of whatever land you land in, they will help you survive in a place where you'll have no home, no family and no friends to start with. After that, perhaps herbalism and other types of medicine that aren't technology-dependent. Someone who could patch up basic wounds and knows how to keep them from getting infected would be a valuable member of any community, and up until relatively recently such basic knowledge could at least land you a comfortable job as town doctor or whatever. Depending on the technology level as well as the religion and superstitions of the region you're in, you might even be able to pass off your skills as something supernatural or even divine. Just be careful not to play your cards wrong and get branded as a witch.

>> No.71119484

>>71118230
Have you tried not being retarded?

>> No.71119722
File: 308 KB, 1280x720, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71118188
You still don't get it, don't you?
Let me give you an example with guns, ok? That's what usually connects well enough with people
So back in the day, Nepali decided to make their own Martini-Henry knock-off. It's 1880s, they have artisian gunsmiths with basic tools and they know how to make guns, along with how this particular rifle operates. So they set up an arsenal, with just 20 gunsmiths in it. The rifles were all hand-made and hand-fitted, so obviously, despite being same design, same parts, same tools and same people, zero interchangability to them. But since they set up an arsenal with 20 gunsmiths, they were churming up 4 of those per day (that got up to 6 by late phase of production, since they just got better with it), ending up with about 11 thousand rifles by the end of production. And each part is serialised for specific rifle, because, again, they do not use interchangable parts.
And this is basically how artisian production system works. You gather together skilled labour, as opposed to unskilled/station-trained workers, they hand-made and hand-fit parts together and they make it work once assembled. So in case of your blacksmith, as long as you plan to keep it small, you don't need interchangeable parts. For additonal perspective: my grandfather was a blacksmith by trade and always joked he was "the only one with diploma in the family", since he finished a craft school. Anyway, he made in his short smithing career (started to work on railway by age of 29) about 80 horse-pulled harvesters, all by himself and all with just basic measurements, with all parts hand-made. Nothing was interchangeable in them, yet they worked perfectly fine.

Also, I'm not sure you are aware how screws are made. And that having a single set of tap and die will by default make all your screws standarised and interchangable, because they all follow the exact same pattern. So turns out some things are interchangable even if you aren't aiming for interchangeability.

>> No.71119743

>>71111281
The most impactful knowledge you can bring are things that will increase food productions and increase population, without requiring very specific materials.
Agricultural knowledge: Shit like crop rotation, compost fertilizers, selective and cross breeding of plants, etc.
Basic medical/hygiene knowledge: Proper hand washing, waste disposal, some basic germ theory, methods of disinfecting medical tools, etc

And if a person also had some economic knowledge that might help with running a business, and some hand tool woodworking skills, they would be pretty well set to establish themselves as an influential person in low-technology settings.

They would start out by making their own farming tools and cultivating small fields. Over time they would produce stronger, more bountiful crop harvests, and become a farm owner. Teaching agriculture and hygiene to their farmhands is a modest start, but it would eventually spread out from there.

>> No.71119791

>>71119743
>like crop rotation, compost fertilizers, selective and cross breeding of plants, etc.
Go far enough and hay turns to be a new and world-changing invention, since you now have a source of fodder for winter

>> No.71119839

>>71119743
Ok, simple test question:
What can you tell me about crop rotation on your own, without googling how to make it actually work. It's not a tricky one, just give it a shot without outside help.

>> No.71120006

>>71116438
who gives a fuck. you blame americans for being egotistical but are oblivious that youre the one who is? the majority of people on the planet dont even have real winters. its only a special concern for certain people. if you see someone walking around in 80F weather in shorts do you start autisticly spouting off average winter temperatures in Vladivostok? just assume anyone using langstroths dont have harsh winters

>> No.71120373
File: 6 KB, 235x206, miss the point.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71120006
There is a difference between "People who don't have actual winters use Langstroth bee-hive" and "People who don't realise the problem with Langstroth bee-hive in winter conditions still advocate them as the only bee-hive that anyone needs, regardless of anything".
But considering you use F instead of C, I guess this is just pointless to explain, as you already know better it's just nitpicking and bashing people for being American, rather than notice what's even the point of it all.

>> No.71120736

>>71119839
not him, but as an ignorant fucktard on the internet I feel like trying. Plants use up things from soil if you keep planting them, If you plant something like ground-cover in between and graze on it you get dung fertilized and whatever roots the ground-cover leaves behind. Which makes things better. Also there are some plants called legumes which are like beans and shit and they put a bunch of nitrogen in the soil which is good for other crops. I cannot identify the wild ancestor of a legume if no one has domesticated beans yet. I think that should basically encompass common knowledge because I have absolutely no qualifications on the topic and have in fact never successfully grown a plant in my entire fucking life.

>> No.71121154

>>71120736
Soooo... you've just described green-fertiliser bean farming.
The whole point of crop rotation is in the name. Rotation. You take your land, divide it into smaller "sub-fields" and plant different shit on them. Part of it is used to grow fodder, part for legumes (often that's fodder plant), part of it for tubers and part of it for grain. Then by next season you switch the sub-fields around - different parts are growing different stuff than last year, so different bits of your land are fixing nitrogen, different growing grain and so on.
This improves your yield in three ways: you have variety of crops, making you more resiliant than total mono-culture, you have shifts of what's growing where, so nutrient depletion of soil is slower/stopped as opposed to mono-culture and you don't leave any part of your land to stay fallow, because the fallow bits are turned into grazing bits (providing manure along with other animal products). The fact that you don't have any part of your land laying fallow is the most important bit, since otherwise crop rotation is no different from three- or four-field system, where there is always some part of the land completely fallow..

>> No.71121229

>>71121154
I knew about the growing different things in different areas part, but I had no idea crop rotation didn't have areas where you raised animals instead of harvesting directly. I thought that prior to artificial fertilizer and machines to measure soil conditions just swapping crops around all the time would eventually make something imbalanced.

>> No.71121249

>>71121154
Oh, and other benefit of this system is that because you are growing various things at once, rather than entire field of grain, you can plant cash crops, making side-profit beyond just feeding yourself and selling excess grain. Which in turn allows to feed yourself better, as you can get things you can't produce yourself

>> No.71121292

>>71121229
But it has them. The fodder isn't collected. Instead, it's used for grazing. What's not eaten by animals, is then harrowed by the end of the season, leaving organic matter in the soil. Also, nothing inbalances soil more than artificial fertilizer. Not due to "hurr durr evil additives", but because 99% of people overfertilise their land, which leads to chemical burns of the plants and nutrient depletion in the soil.

>> No.71121328

>>71121229
>>71121292
Alternatively, there are variants of crop rotation without animals being grazed on part of the field, but that requires more specific choice for what you are planting and obviously denies you a pasture for your livestock. Not a problem when you don't have livestock, but come on - that's a modern occurence.

>> No.71124151
File: 573 KB, 1600x1000, travel_back_in_time.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Maybe you could invent Pasteurization?

>> No.71124483
File: 8 KB, 198x212, 9.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281
The importance of bathing and general habits of cleanliness. I'm assuming I'm going down in a place without great hygine habits for this one.

>>71111514
Being healthy and not smelling like ass for a while, eventually people will catch on. or kill me, either works for me.

>> No.71124515

>>71111695
Depending on how early we're talking, demonstration of pasteurization should be fairly easy.

>> No.71124550

>>71111281
>Shit some distance from your camp and not in a body of water.
>Bury your shit.
>Keep a designated trowel to dig your shitting holes.
>Try not to touch your own shit. If you do then wash it off well.

That solves a few problems, believe you me!

>> No.71124591

>>71111281
>I’m thinking medical knowledge like how to avoid infections, how to make penicillin and how the human body works would take you a long way.
And then people accuse you of heresy for not adhering to 4 humors teaching and burn you at a stake.
>how to specialize production, set up assembly lines
And then local guild boys beat you up and throw you out of the city.
>stuff like how to manage people most effeciently for a task
First you need to have people to actually follow you. And I'm already ignoring HUGE problems like language barrier, lack of immunity to local desease, ignorance of customs e.t.c.
>most impactful invention that could be reproduced in a medieval society
Gunpowder. We know from history that it could be reproduced by medieval society and had a huge impact.

>> No.71124610
File: 142 KB, 650x487, Medieval-bath-3-650x487.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71124483
Are you assuming that medieval people didn't bath?

>> No.71124656

>>71111281
If you want some good examples of althistorical portal fiction that read Lest Darkness Fall by Sprague de Camp.

>> No.71125017

>>71111509
Also, people would look on the hot bit of metal as just an expensive party trick at best, way worse at boiling water than just a fire.

>> No.71125207
File: 110 KB, 696x458, A9A7B47A-B8FF-44A2-ABC0-2BE19C6A2C69.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Optical_telegraph
If I ever got in a position of wealth and power I’d try to pitch this to the king or whoever rules the place I’m in.
>relatively simple design, you don’t need advanced tech or materials
>extremely fast communication between far away places, ideal for centralized government and military command
>expensive to build and maintain, but this can be circumvented to a degree if the setting has slavery

>> No.71125215

>>71111281
Banking and institutions that don't require special technical knowledge are a good candidate for something that can change the world / a setting. Banking, statecraft, bureaucratization, the concept of the scientific method. Things that can outlast the life of a single person and be iterated on by subsequent generations.
Gunpowder is one of the few cases where you can snatch a piece of technology outright and, with some knowledge of how to apply it- making simple handgonnes, for instance- can cause revolutionary change in the setting, because it doesn't need any pre-medieval technological antecedents.
Medicine and hygiene might be useful, but it's very situational; it'd let you prove a point and help yourself and a few chosen clients, in the main. People in the medieval period did bathe, after all. Penicillin might become ineffective through overuse.

>> No.71125224

>>71125215
Oh, yeah, shitty as it is to keep saying "depends on the setting," but if international commerce is commonplace, containerization might blow all this other shit out of the water.

>> No.71125277

>>71116297
Just the knowledge that it can be done can push the rimitives in the right direction.

>> No.71125694

>>71124550
Ah, yes, the revolutionary idea of outhouses. In my Eastern European country widely adopted as early as in 1920s! Because of the amazing technology required like benches with holes and holes in the ground!

>> No.71125886
File: 28 KB, 500x314, heliograph.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71125207
This system requires advanced optics - telescopes good enough to see the next tower. Otherwise you're fucked.
Also, pic related for far, far bigger simplicity, while having the exact same range and maybe 1/1000 of construction and maintenance costs

>> No.71125906

>>71111859
>>71124151
Why do people keep reposting this shit? Not to mention half of the space is wasted on pointless lingo and the other half is "Just do it, man!"

>> No.71125943
File: 16 KB, 417x393, Peak.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71125215
>Banking and institutions that don't require special technical knowledge
t. complete layman
I bet you read wikipedia on double-entry book-keeping (without really understanding it) and feel now like you know everything that is about to know about economy. That without stating the obvious problem that if we are talking about historical settings rather than complete fantasy, most of banking operations are illegal, and the few that remain assume you are Jewish - which is even bigger can of worms.

>> No.71125996

>>71125224
Uniform containers within single trading company - doable, at least as far as sizes are concerned. VOC actually did that and charged extra for containers of "non-standard" size, along with charging you for using their containers if you didn't have your own.
Uniform containers for the entire duchy - maybe if you are the duke himself. Are you?
Unfirom containers for the whole kingdom - only if you are Qin Shi Huangdi himself
Anything beyond that - yeah, no.

And that without mentioning containers of uniform size requiring just as uniform ships, cranes and most importantly, deck redesign. Plus there is a material requirement problem, as you can't just recreate transport containers as such without having access to a small industrial complex producing every needed bit of it, while just building wooden boxes of standard size means you end up with the added weight and space of the box, without the benefits of the shipping container. Aka the reason why nobody did it historically prior to the 1930s on concept level and didn't really pick up until post-war period due to the war teaching everyone how uniform containers simplify shit, where you both had goodwill toward it and technology to make them.

>> No.71126044
File: 104 KB, 1170x571, humans shadows included for scale.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71125996
Oh, and don't forget - this is your ship for scale. So how small exactly are your containers?

>> No.71126310

>>71111509
Man, a water turbine is easy af to do for electric potential generation.
Watermill technology is as old as agriculture, and copper was the first metal ever domesticated by man. The hardest part would be finding magnets for your first bit of current, but once you got that done, you can magnetize iron to make bigger magnets.

>> No.71126412

>>71126310
>you can magnetize iron to make bigger magnets
1) Make an iron bar
2) Heat it up until cherry-red colour
3) Quench the whle thing
4) Repeat steps 1-3 few times
5) Get any piece of animal skin with thick fur on it and rub the bar with it for few hours
6) You now have magnetised iron rod
And if you need something smaller, quite literally rub a sewing needle with your own hair for half an hour or so.

>> No.71126431
File: 195 KB, 822x972, 1530300150026.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281

>WASH YOUR FUCKING HANDS

>SCIENCE NEED TO BE PROVABLE WRONG. IF NOT, IT'S NOT SCIENCE

There are the two most basic and most transferable skills that even someone that can't read/count can assimilate and spread.

You would be wrong. Medecine is an empirical science, and we were pretty good at it since warfare is a thing. Basic germ theory is far more effective at preventing disease than penicilin is (root cause vs band-aid). Wash your hands, boil water or use wine to cut water in order to consume it (which was already common knowledge back then), heat up chirgical tools to disinfect them.

And even then, a lot of the disease back then were spread by fleas on rats, which are endemic to cities and that are present even in our modern world. The crow-masked doctors were actually falling less sick not because of their mask preventing the "bad air", but because their thick leather clothes could not be bitten trough.

If you really want to make medecine progress, you would need to produce optics powerful enough to see germs. That's historically how we leaped to where we are today (second biggest achivement being the discovery of DNA, and even that is quite minor compared to the microscope)

>Bonus question: most impactful invention that could be reproduced in a medieval society?
Without any funding and that could essentially be a one man operation ?
The printing press.

Then, if you manage to get some rich dude to pay for your inventions
High Furnace => Steam Engine => Electric turbine => Radio => Electromechanic computers

>> No.71126475

>>71111509
If you actually knew anything about electricity, you would be aware of electrostatic generators and various form of low-voltage batteries that can be used as a starter for magnetisation, then just go from there.
Instead, you are larping as a STEM and your lack of clue is painfully showing.

>>71126431
>SCIENCE NEED TO BE PROVABLE WRONG. IF NOT, IT'S NOT SCIENCE
>Thinking this is easy to explain to people
Yeah, no.
The rest of your post is equally full of layman-tier bullshit

>> No.71126486
File: 859 KB, 280x206, 1487649631648.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71126431
>Just wash your hands, dude!
>Cholera epidemics hit twice as hard from now on

>> No.71126521

>>71125215
> Banking
Outside of some derivatives and wire orders, nothing really new in banking was invented since the greeks.

>statecraft
Muh democracy.

>bureaucratization
Only possible when people knows how to read

>the concept of the scientific method
Explain it. Pretty sure you would get that wrong to. Middle age thinkers were very far from dumb.

>Gunpowder is one of the few cases where you can snatch a piece of technology outright and, with some knowledge of how to apply it
Gunpowder without proper metallurgy is fucking useless. Porliocetic and operational art is what matter, and you won't be better at it than middle age French or Italians.

>> No.71126559
File: 46 KB, 680x638, b64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71115548

>> No.71126568
File: 6 KB, 240x240, Approved.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71126521
At least one person understands why "muh gunpowder" is a retarded idea. Especially when motherfuckers don't even know how hard it is to source nitrates and in certain regions, sulphur, but hey, it's so easy to make, right? Just mix this and that and... oh, it just blew your own hands off, what did you do wrong?
Also, I actually wonder how would anyone try to explain saltpeter to medieval alchemist in the first place.

>> No.71126598

>>71126559
Different anon, but I'm pretty sure you've replied to a wrong post. Or used wrong image.

>> No.71126748

>>71126475
>Thinking this is easy to explain to people
The greek already had this concept, and every thinker in the middle age was sucking the greeko-romans cock.

>The rest of your post is equally full of layman-tier bullshit
Give example.
The only actual example you should do is the printing press. Everything else was dismissing OP point as over-evaluating the impact modern medecine knowledge would have in the middle age. most best-practices were already taught, the others need modern tools.

The printing press is not fucking difficult. You can do it right now with a piece of wood, a knife and ink. The real wonder is how humans took so long to figure it out.

High furnace are not difficult either. The basic idea is to make the liquid iron filter trough limestone and sand so that the carbon aggregate with limestone and other impurities are filtered out by the sand. What the ancients were missing was coke and the idea to have air input in the lower coke bed. To make coke, heat up charcoal to 1000°C (iron melt at 1500...) in a closed chamber with only a gas exist valve. All the non-burnable shit will melt/evaporate. For your high furnace, make a tall ceramic (aka brick) tower, have a liquid evacuation shape at the bottom shaped with compact melting sand (well known since the iron age). Fill 3-4 meters of coke, with the air inputs being just underneath the coke level surface. Then alternate layer of limestone, unpurified iron, and coke. Leave the top open (or with a cupola to prevent rain going in and melted shit bursting out).

The steam engine is not fucking hard either. Hot gas are at higher pressure than cold gas. The big issue with steam engine is that you need high quality cast pieces to withstand the strenght and pressures. Guess what high furnaces allows ?

The electric turbine just need copper and iron. But with a steam engine + elecric turbine, you basically have an electric generator that works anywhere.

>> No.71126756
File: 124 KB, 344x506, 1481648425468.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281

>> No.71126840

>>71126559
Anon, that's obviously bait. Probably one of the mamny /pol/ triple-flag operations or some such.

>> No.71126843

>>71126748
>The greek already had this concept,
The Greek had the exact contrary of that concept, you fucking moron, with nothing but disdain toward experimentation and trials, as that was what "labourers" do, rather than thinker's job. Part of the reason why Europeans started to get ahead technologically in any sort of applied sciences was thanks to finally shaking off the Greek disdain toward experimentation as part of the process.
>The printing press is not fucking difficult. You can do it right now with a piece of wood, a knife and ink. The real wonder is how humans took so long to figure it out.
You've just described woodblock printing. That's neither good, nor fast, nor useful. And still doesn't solve the basic problem - quality and quantity of the paper needed to make printing possible. Takes to be a fucking retard to think woodlock printing is "revolutionary", while missing the point of the printing press using MOVABLE type, so you could print whatever, rather than the one slant you've spend weeks to carve.
>High furnace are not difficult either. The basic idea is to make the liquid iron filter trough limestone and sand so that the carbon aggregate with limestone and other impurities are filtered out by the sand.
Which assumes you have quality, thermo-resilent bricks and mortar. Do you have even the slightest idea how to make those things? I doubt you even considered them important. Also, you need a lot of quality fuel, so either mass-production of charcoal (which is expensive and obviously requires massive amount of trees) or coke (which requires a seprate process to make AND coal mining in the first place). And all of this is irrevelant anyway, since just like your woodblock printing, it's a dead-end development, that goes from nowhere to nowhere.

>> No.71126850

>>71126748
The telegraph is simply sending electric current to a wire.
The hard part in radio is making a modulable oscillating signal with a high power, and is arguably the one requiring the most specialized modern knowledge. If you are not an absolute retard, you should remember highschool level electricity and the RLC circuit.
None of the individual component are hard to make, and each of them can be made adaptable (to change your radio frequency).
The high power is not THAT hard either once you get eletric turbines.
The real issue is the piloting of the strong power current circuit by the weak power oscillating circuit.
Realistically you would be able to make a vaccum tube by yourself, but ideally you want a transistor. both require specialized modern knowledge but change the whole game of what you can do with electricity. Once you get vaccum tube, you can do more than electically manipulating power. You can assume that power/lack of power is data, and know data can manipulate data. Fully mechanical adder/multipliers/divider are possible, but once electromechanical, you can have turing complete machines => modern computers.
The funniest part ? You can make electomechanical computers simply with air pressure and valves if you don't have vacumm tube.
Anyone with a bit of brain juice can figure out how logical gates works, and from here bus of data, and then adders/multipliers, etc...

>> No.71126870

>>71126843
>cont

>The steam engine is not fucking hard either
Only a complete moron could claim that. You need high-quality metal, precission tools and pretty damn good metal-working skills to make all parts survive the pressure and allow the whole thing to operate. Not to mention the importance of heater inside the boiler, so the whole thing is mechanically and thermally efficient, rather than a powerless toy or plain shit like Newcomen's design. I even doubt you have any idea how to apply any set of controls to it, or basic safety precautions. Who needs them when dealing with a high-pressured boiler, right?
>Guess what high furnaces allows ?
Production of pig iron, which is useless for just about anything, unless you know how to refine it into something useful, and I sincerely doubt you have any other idea than finery process (if at all). Oh, turns out we are still stuck in 13th century tech! And that "something" is wrought iron, which is terrible for making boilers.
>The electric turbine just need copper and iron
And magnets, you idiot. Which you can't make and don't even know you need them
>you basically have an electric generator
And zero application for it. Wow, truly impressive invention!

tl;dr you're full of shit

>> No.71126878
File: 3.59 MB, 298x224, 1461630340192.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71126850
>You can make a computer by yourself!
>All you need is vague concept of the elements that build it!

>> No.71126909
File: 52 KB, 430x630, Premature Ejaculation Man.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

ITT: Armchair specialists and ignorant idiots trying to out-do each other with more outlandish concepts, while lacking any kind of actual knowledge

>> No.71126969

>>71126843
>The Greek had the exact contrary of that concept, you fucking moron,
t. historylet. Plato is not Aristoteles.

>And still doesn't solve the basic problem - quality and quantity of the paper needed to make printing possible.
It is not you cretin. Paper making technique evolved to meet the demand of the printing press without much hiccups. Woodlock printing IS revolutionary. Stamps are as old as numbers, and predate written language, yet the idea of aligining the stamps in a modular way is the basic spark of the printing press. Everything else relate to the stamp durability, alignement issues and output.

>Which assumes you have quality, thermo-resilent bricks and mortar. Do you have even the slightest idea how to make those things? I doubt you even considered them important.
That come with the knowledge of melting Iron. You don't "make" these thing as much as you find a clay that has the desired properties. It's only very recently it stopped being empirical and started being designed. There is evidence of crucible steel in india circa 500 AD.

>> No.71126988

>>71126878
And a brain. Innovation is 1% the spark and 99% of work. Isekai "changing the world" is about bringing the spark. A NAND gate is nothing complicated, yet it's the basic brick with which you can make a whole calculator, and from there a computer.

>> No.71126993
File: 121 KB, 759x1500, We are definitely going to explore stuff.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71116122
>Said sponsor will give you enough momentum that society will start changing because to do otherwise is too inefficient.
[Laughs in Chinese]
But really, just laughing in any language will do, since just about any culture might by default be against your invention, regardless what it will be and how beneficial it is.
Consider following: peasants were making revolts against... planting potatoes. After all, who needs high-yield crops with bigger calories production than anything else accessible contemporary, is you can just plain barley like your great-grandfathers did? Let's literally starve to death, but not plant this new thing, simply because it's new.

>> No.71126999
File: 91 KB, 640x549, 20121019-215101.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71126969
Different anon, but please tell me you aren't really this dense and just pretending

>> No.71127000

>>71126840
>it can't be some retarded leftie or just a troll, it has to be /pol/ false-flagging
Bruh

>> No.71127015

>>71111281
>Isekai
what the fuck is this weeb shit and why do i keep seeing it places
fuck i hate this shit websites anime bullshit
fuck japan i hope they all die of coronavirus just so i don't have to hear another fucking mip word ever again
fuck mangos
fuck anime
fuck weeaboos
fuck 4chan
anyways what does the word mean ? thanks.

>> No.71127053

>>71126748
There were plenty of places with ideas but even guys like Da Vinci were closer to sci-fi writers than engineers. Ideas only go so far and it took us centuries to refine these ideas and make them work or work better.

>> No.71127056

>>71111281
Double-entry bookkeeping. There is no organization that does not benefit from an accurate systematization of their financial activities. Failing that, if it already exists as it did in the Medieval world, Joint Stock Companies.

Assuming you can overcome the barriers (ha) to the king/lord simply seizing your assets, form a corporation consisting of different merchants merchants and guilds, selling them equity.

>> No.71127058

>>71126969
>historylet
Irony is lethal in this case
> Paper making technique evolved to meet the demand of the printing press
Not really. It's a completely separate thing. What you are referring to is a cellulose pulp process, which is centuries after movable type became a thing.
>Woodlock printing IS revolutionary.
It isn't at all. It means you have a single slant, which takes - if it's writing - weeks to create, and is useful only for about 400-500 uses before wearing out so much all you get is big blot of ink. Also, woodblock printing is a thing since late antiquity. Tell me again how it revolutionised anything at all.
>Stamps are as old as numbers, and predate written language, yet the idea of aligining the stamps in a modular way is the basic spark of the printing press.
That's movable type, you idiot, not woodblock printing.
>That come with the knowledge of melting Iron.
It doesn't.
>as you find a clay that has the desired properties
Do you know those properties? Do you know how to locate it? Do you know how to turn it into either usable bricks that retain those properties or permament kilns that have them?
> There is evidence of crucible steel in india circa 500 AD.
Doesn't change the fact you have no idea how to make it or what process was used. And Chinks were producing crucible steel in fucking 200 BC, so? You, specifically you, still don't know how, aside the fact they did. Or rather - learning it right now, being an ignorant moron

>> No.71127066
File: 218 KB, 1330x512, cannot stop the tomboy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71126840
>>71127000
The answer to off-topic /pol/ution is to post tomboys. Shall I get my folders?

>> No.71127071

>>71127056
It's called "Hanza", anon. Go read about it.
Turns out you didn't invent anything new

>> No.71127099

>>71126568
>I actually wonder how would anyone try to explain saltpeter to medieval alchemist in the first place.

I am quite sure they kenw about it even in antiquity

>> No.71127104

>>71115647
>penniless hippies like Jesus or Buddha.
>Buddha
This guy is one of the earliest examples of how having large amounts of wealth reduces its importance to the owner drastically.

>> No.71127111

>>71126870
>Only a complete moron could claim that. You need high-quality metal, precission tools and pretty damn good metal-working skills to make all parts survive the pressure and allow the whole thing to operate
Thank you for reiterating my point.

>Not to mention the importance of heater inside the boiler, so the whole thing is mechanically and thermally efficient, rather than a powerless toy or plain shit like Newcomen's design.

That can come trough experimentation and tweaking.

> I even doubt you have any idea how to apply any set of controls to it, or basic safety precautions. Who needs them when dealing with a high-pressured boiler, right?
What is a valve. Also notice how it's specifed as agame changing invention that you can't do alone but is only possible with a powerful mecene.

>Who needs them when dealing with a high-pressured boiler, right?
Trolls. It's an isekai.

>Oh, turns out we are still stuck in 13th century tech! And that "something" is wrought iron, which is terrible for making boilers.
t. I read a wikipedia article about it once. Pig iron is only after a single pass in the furnace.
Wrought Iron is terrible for boiler because of a too low young module making it reach the elastic limit and break. Guess what has a much a higher module ? That's fucking right, earlier steps in the refining you ignorant.

>> No.71127114

>>71126969
Imagine thinking woodblock print is the same as movable type, missing the entire fucking point of why printing press made production of copies so cheap and fast.

>> No.71127122

>>71127111
Not the guy you are replying to, but you are currently on the very peak of Mount Stupid, mate.

>> No.71127139

>>71127056
>Joint Stock Companies
As old as writing. The only thing modern finance brougt are a bunch of elaborates derivatives that don't really benefit anyone.

Hell, VAT is much more interesting of a concept to bring to the middle age than that. (tax on consumption, not on production nor a toll).

>> No.71127164

>>71127122
I DIY'ed a medieval bombard in my backyard and have a master degree in mechanical engineering. I'm in china right now and can't even access wikipedia/other mount stupid sources.

>> No.71127178

>>71127111
>That can come trough experimentation and tweaking.
Not him but how much experimentation and tweaking? We've done that over centuries before we got shit right.

>> No.71127189

>>71127111
>That can come trough experimentation and tweaking
So you are saying you literally don't know what a heater in the boiler is, but claim building steam engine is an easy task?
>What is a valve
A completely unrelated invention with safety features of a steam engine
>Also notice how it's specifed as agame changing invention that you can't do alone but is only possible with a powerful mecene.
All I see is desperate goal-post moving and subject switching
>Pig iron is only after a single pass in the furnace.
No matter how many times you pass it, you will get pig iron, because that's what high furnace is making. You have no fucking clue about metal smelting at all.
>Guess what has a much a higher module
Steel and cast iron, neither of which you are producing, because you don't know how.

Why are you keep digging yourself deeper? Is this pride or something else?

>> No.71127233 [DELETED] 

id invent fish and chips, sponge cake, doughnuts, powderef sugar, milkshakes and the martini

>> No.71127247

id invent fish and chips, sponge cake, doughnuts, powdered sugar and maybe the martini

>> No.71127254

>>71127178
Not him, but as far as I remember, it took over 140 years of intense development around the engine, with bunch of engineers and pretty clever lads at that dedicating their lives to the issue, along with being well-sponsored. Another 30 before making it semi-reliable and safe to be around without risk of it exploding any minute. And all of that in an environment, where educated workforce and plentiful materials, along with good tools, could be freely tapped.
Meanwhile, any person trying to build steam engine as such, from scratch, will be lucky to end up with something akin to Newcomen's atmospheric engine. And that assumes they know more than "water boils into steam and steam pushes the piston"
Steam engine construction being cited as "simple" is basically a first sign of dealing with layman that doesn't even understand how such engine operates.

>> No.71127260
File: 905 KB, 240x228, Disgusting.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71127233
>>71127247
>martini
Why?

>> No.71127265

>>71127114
Movable type can be made of any solid material you moron. You can use a potato if you want.
They will have different permability and resistance to wear and tear, making ceramic/metallic one obviously better choices.

The spark is fucking carve your potato, dip it in cherry juice, apply on goat skin. The printing press is then simply making hard, modular potatoes and putting them in a press. The cherry juice can be improved so can the goat skin, but it will fucking work in the current version

>> No.71127288

>>71127260
id introduce it as the "fartini" and that would be hilarious to read about in the history books.

>> No.71127297

>>71127265
Not him, but let's continue pin-pointing your idiocy anyway
>Movable type can be made of any solid material you moron
Not really and not at all, especially when your goal is to make the print readable
>You can use a potato if you want.
Excuse me, are we talking toy stamps here, or practical printing?
>They will have different permability and resistance to wear and tear
Which is precisely why you can't use "whatever", due to the time and labour put into making it vs. durability and how well it takes ink and how good the results are
>making ceramic
Not really
>metallic one
Depends greatly on metal, but we've been already on the subject you are clueless about metal smelting and metal working
>The spark is fucking carve your potato, dip it in cherry juice, apply on goat skin
And we got what, exactly?
>The printing press is then simply making hard, modular potatoes and putting them in a press
>simply
Because we all know how easy it is to make actual, professional stamps, especially in metal. And how labourless and fast it is and how just about any moron can carve reverse letters with easy, along with providing them with proper surface, so they take ink well. Nothing easier than that!
>but it will fucking work in the current version
As a shitty stamp for stamping goat skin, maybe.

You aren't even good as an Idea Man.

>> No.71127308

>>71111281
knowledge of how to make black powder and basic cannons
I can also do magic and slight of hand, so I can be a bomb wizard

>> No.71127329

>>71127265
I wish things were as easy as you think they are. I really do. But then I remind myself about the amount of time and skill it takes to make stamps even with modern tech and such easy to work materials like rubber, not to mention being an engraver.

>> No.71127493
File: 190 KB, 600x160, roll.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71127164

>> No.71127586

>>71127493
Is it okay to fuck a tomboy like Toph?

>> No.71127607

>>71127164
>DIY'ed a medieval bombard
Did you start from scratch with no tools and no modern equipment? Or did you make use of modern tools, modern treated wood, modern measuring devices with modern tolerances?

>> No.71127815

>>71127071
Calling the Hanseatic League a joint-stock Company is disingenuous. As far as I can tell, there was no concept of limited liability (invented by the VOC) and incorporation. The Hansa was comprised of different towns/cities, and constitute guilds, which were not separate from a de-facto nation. The relations between members were not dictated by class of share, or equity, that bestowed upon them different voting power, but by partially intangible relationships. The Hansa was part nation, part guild-association, and (yes) part company. However, it certainly differed from spirtual successors like the EIC and the VOC.

If you're going to reference a medieval entity that most resembles a joint stock company, why not reference the Bazacle Mining Company? It's literally on the 'Joint-Stock Company' article on wikipedia.

I wouldn't be inventing anything new. Nothing is fundamentally new in finance other than the algorithms that define behavior of the derivatives that>>71127139 hates so much.

>> No.71127853

>>71127586
Why wouldn't it be?

>> No.71128077

>>71111514
Because to them for all intents and purposes your a fucking wizard.

>> No.71128310

>>71127815
>I take my knowledge from wikipedia
Would explain why you are so clueless about Hansa inner workings, given the state of the wiki article for it.

>>71128077
Sounds to me like a solid reason to end up lynched. No inquisition or stakes meme bullshit, but just lynching mob.

>> No.71128347

>>71127586
It's not okay to not fuck them

>> No.71128362

>>71126850
>>71126988
>t. dropped engineering studies after half a year
Basic switching theory won't build you a computer. Even if you knew how memory, busses and kernels etc. work, which I sincerely doubt, you can't make something akin to a microprocessor without access to integrated circuitry or at least vacuum tubes.
See >>71125943 pic for additional details.

>> No.71128501

I had the thought recently that if I went back in time I wouldn't even know how to make soap.

>> No.71129085

>>71111514
You'd probably be larger then almost anyone around if the setting has any nutrition that is worse then we are right now.
Your size alone will comand respect.

>> No.71129232

>>71129085
>You'd probably be larger then almost anyone
Oh, this meme again.
Unless he ends up in South East Asia or similar, he will be just as average as he's now.

>> No.71129241

>>71111528
>>71126909
You can guess how this worked out once he run out of bullets.

>> No.71129553

>>71126310
>>71126475
I even addressed that point in my original post
>If actual magnets are available on sufficient quantities then you could even attempt some kind of inductive generator...
So yeah, once you have magnets it becomes relatively easy. You can create More magnets, make inductive generators with a watermill or wind turbine or whatever, and so on. The main premise of what i originally said was based on my lack of knowledge about the availability of magnets back then

>>71126412
Neat, wasn't aware of that technique.

>> No.71129598
File: 11 KB, 600x315, Doubt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71129553
>Wasn't aware of basic magnetisation techniques that are taught in the middle school
>Claims to have STEM degree in related field

>> No.71129808

>>71129598
All of what i do assumes the availability of modern infrastructure. And you got me in one regard: I was a lazy fuck as a teenager and didn't pay attention in school, that much is true.
But hey, at least I can fucking read. The very first thing I stated is that most of what I know would be useless in an isekai scenario. Good job on calling me out on something I openly stated beforehand though!

>> No.71129934

>>71129808
I'm calling you out on larping possessing any actual knowledge regarding engineering, electrics or conduction.

>> No.71129992

>>71129934
Because my lack of knowledge on this one area disproves my knowledge in that other area, sure thing anon.

>> No.71130236

>>71129992
>I don't know bare-bone basics that are taught on first semester and are absolutely vital for the rest of the field
>But sure as hell, I'm an engineer specialising in superconductors
>Just don't ask me how to make a magnet

>> No.71130497

>>71130236
Semi conductors not super conductors. But you already established your lack of reading comprehension so I shouldn't be surprised. I learned how to calculate magnetic flow, magnetic fields and all that jazz but I don't know how to magnetize something using caveman methods wich is what intrigued me about this thread in the first place.
Besides, outside of first semester you don't really need most of the actual physics. You don't look at a resistor and whip out field equations, you use u=r*I. When you go higher in frequency you don't calculate the actual hf properties you approximate with an equivalent circuit diagram that is close enough in modeling those properties. But you're probably the kind of guy that calculates 50 transistors by hand instead of just using spice.

>>I don't know bare-bone basics that are taught on first semester and are absolutely vital for the rest of the field
Now that you mention it, i was surprised about those metal rods I had to magnetize before opening my cad to design a pcb

>> No.71130534

>>71119839
From memory: Four field rotation. One field clover (for grazing). One field wheat. One field turnips. One field fallow.

(Checked my work) I forgot barley, we don't even need a fallow field. 3/4 is pretty good though, happy with my memory.

>> No.71130606

>>71130534
That's four-field system, anon, at least the first line.
For proper combination, try the Norfolk one: potatoes, oats, beans, rye. Beans as fodder. Also, the important bit it to make sure that your grains are of spring and autumn planting, rather than both planted during spring.

>> No.71130640

>>71130497
>I have theorist STEM degree
>Or I am simply retarded larper
Not sure which's worse... do you often brag about having STEM degree and being an engineer, as opposed to those "useless Lib Art" ones? Seems to be the crucial information here.

>> No.71130711

Things that could have been invented at almost time with the proper knowledge and motivation:

Pockets.
Selective Breeding of Animals.
Horse Collar.
Hot Air Balloons (rudimentary).
Vaccination.
Stirrups / Saddles
Arabic or Chinese style numbers for easier arithmetic.
Abacus / Rod Math.

>> No.71130727

>>71130606
Potatoes are a new world vegetable, so they would only be viable in a Post-Columbian exchange world. If it's not Earth it's all speculation though of course.

>> No.71130741

>>71130711
>Chinese style numbers
>for easier arithmetic
On the condition that we drop the 10k as a "max" value and stick to 1k. Despite appearing to be just a simple counting convention, this starts to be problematic after certain threshold, even if you are Chinese.

>> No.71130762

>>71130727
So are beans, anon. But if you want to stick to just Old World plants, replace it with any other tuber crop, so either beets or rutabaga

>> No.71130808

>>71130640
While I do actually have a degree in stem I never even brought it up you flaming faggot, but let me remind you of what i actually said
>most of my professional knowledge is based on semiconductor technology
As in when there's an inductance it's 9/10 times either am antenna, some rlc filter component, usually smd, or there's some EMI problem going on. No metal rods i need to rub anywhere. And - get this - none of those are primitive permanent magnets, only coiled up copper wires, perhaps a ferrite core or one of those ferritr clips to filter cables.

>> No.71130811

>>71130727
>>71130762
And don't forget about catch crop, either little white bird's-foot (Really, English? Couldn't made it longer?), white mustard or autumn-planted rapeseed. This takes some extra effort to pull, but solves a fuckload of water-retention problems, along with providing sick amount of soil nutrient.

>> No.71130822

>>71130808
Oh, so you are just a retarded larper. Thanks for clarification.

>> No.71130824

These threads are always full of retarded dilletantes talking shit at other retarded dilletantes.

>> No.71130849

>>71117268
Based, this guy gets it. If you don't agree, you're some combination of troll, moron, and/or literally autistic.

>> No.71130867

>>71130822
You know what? Go ahead, take your internet browny points and believe whatever you want. I wonder why I even bothered to reply, to be honest.

>> No.71130887

>>71130824
Welcome to /tg/!

>> No.71130893

hentai

>> No.71130972
File: 203 KB, 1280x720, instant ghengis Khan (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281
>My liege, let me show you its features

>> No.71131094

>>71130824
I mean this is /tg/, so what else were you expecting? My standard way of learning something I need for games is a combination of cross-posting on boards that deal with that stuff and asking them for further reading material. Trying to get anything out of /tg/ is possibly the most stupid thing to do.

>> No.71131205

>>71130972
History was not prepared

>> No.71131222
File: 131 KB, 1024x1024, mak-9024-04.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71130972

>> No.71131292

I tell them about Schrodinger's pets so they know I'm the smart man character man.

>> No.71131311

>>71131222
I think he even did a video about rebuilding one of those for just retarded rate of fire, while enhancing accuracy

>> No.71131450
File: 253 KB, 449x395, 1575734243617.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71115901
>>71115886
nice

>> No.71131480

>>71115548
holy reddit spacing

>> No.71131515

>>71117268
I think that may be what he was getting at with "pointless argument starter with no real resolution"

>> No.71131929

>>71111281
>What is the most valuable, most easily directly transferable information a person from our world, with no equipment on his person or an industrial base to work with, could possibly tranfer to a low-tech population?
How low-tech is the world?

Because furnace construction for smelting metals is an easy one that has only a handful of dependent skills, most of which can be accomplished with almost no training. So much so that it's literally the defining line between Stone Age and Bronze Age societies.

An economist would be useless in most low-tech societies, as they don't have economies (and certainly not economies of scale). I mean, not totally useless: they could be put to work on manual labor.

Being an engineer who knows how to operate trains would actually be pretty handy. You'd know all of the basic physics required to create a steamshovel (with the possible exception of the metallurgy), the component technologies of which would all change the world, not to mention the steamshovel itself.

My personal skillsets are wilderness survival, field medicine, and killing people. And demolitions. And geology and mining/excavation. And forestry. I wouldn't be super useful to a low-tech society, but I could probably be a non-drag.

>> No.71131994

>>71131929
Medievalish, anon. It's right in the OP's post.
>My personal skillsets is nothing in particular
ftfy

>> No.71132042

>>71111859
Imagine being this retarded.

>> No.71132250

>>71111859
Did someone had a stroke while writing it? Not to mention that most of those are high-brow ideas, rather than practical solutions.

>> No.71132381

>>71129598
>>71129934
>>71130236
Anon, it's been over two decades since I was in a classroom.

Moreover, why the fuck would a working engineer need to know survival-level techniques? Frankly the only thing I can benefit from studying at this point in my career is cutting-edge fluid dynamics, rock levering, and thermodynamics as relate to blast modeling.

What do you do? Teach high school?

>> No.71132396

>>71131994
Oh. In a medieval society I'd be fairly useful. I know how to make a mine significantly safer and more productive. Also where to mine.

Plus in a medieval society there's always a place for a skilled killer.

>> No.71132574

>>71132381
Different anon, but you know what they were teaching me when I was getting my degree? The lab supervisor always repeat the same thing, almost like a mantra, whenever someone couldn't be precise enough with results or just fucked up something by being ignorant, using the classic "but it's what machines do, anyway" excuse:
"And what you gonna do. Mr/Mrs, if the grid is out and you still have to deliver cito prescription?"
So he taught us a lot of "pointless" shit. But at least when I was asked during a job interview to produce prescription that was having just a name for the drops, age of the kid and most basic tools to do so, I know what to do. Even if there was no "practical" application of knowing by heart the equation for age-to-weight-to-dose ratio, because surely, there is a pharmacopea at hand and you can always check, right? And stuff like that kept paying off for my past 11 years of working as a pharmacist.
Being ignorant isn't a virtue. Being ignorant is being ignorant.

>> No.71132609

>>71132574
I'm the guy responsible for putting you in that situation in the first place. If the world's gone to shit, I've done my job.

>> No.71132658

>>71132609
>that situation
... meaning?

>> No.71132673

>>71132381
Virgin Engineer vs. Chad Worker.

What was the name of that show? The Discovery one, where they put bunch of people into a post-apo scenario and told them to fend for themselves. And always half of the group was made of blue-collar people and the other half from people with various, often highly practical (at least at first glance) degrees. Each and every time the end result was a clash between people who knew how to do shit with people who had some bold idea and no clue how to make it happen and by the end of the simulation the engineering troupe being basically a load to carry by the rest of the group. Anyone remember the title?

>> No.71132725

>>71132658
Set up us the bomb.

>> No.71132762
File: 147 KB, 668x691, 1462193642578.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71132725
... the fuck are you even blabbing about?

>> No.71132784

>>71111281
Germ theory.

>> No.71132792

>>71111514
Depending on the culture, men of learning tend to be respected. Some emperors would gather intelligent people to prove how cool they were, and warlords would ape them to prove their legitimacy.

If you have a cool idea and can prove it works, you'd probably get some interest from the learning institutions of the day. They didn't require degrees or resumes or anything.

>> No.71132881

>>71132673
Yes. When you finish school and actually get a job where people are paying you to accomplish something, you begin to specialize in that something. The further along in your career you get the more specialized you become (unless you get fired, then you might switch to a different specializations). Pretty soon you're hyperspecialized in a way a blue-collar worker rarely does.

>>71132762
I'm paid to blow things up better. With the biggest booms.

>> No.71132887

>>71132784
>Kosher law 2.0

>> No.71132916
File: 32 KB, 270x230, 146012688.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71132881
So you're a Russian internet troll?

>> No.71133083

>>71132673
The Colony? Sounds like it.

>> No.71133366

God damn it I love you /tg/. There's more autism itt than on reddit rn

>> No.71133413

>>71132916
Sure, if that's how it needs to be for you to feel better about yourself anon.

>> No.71133529

>>71133413
I'm simply confused the hell you are trying to tell over bunch of posts and how it relates with my job.

>> No.71133722
File: 813 KB, 1601x2676, 1d735ca.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71126475
Fuck you.

>> No.71133805

>>71133722
Different guy, but what he's even pointing at?

>> No.71133883

>>71132881
>American education is terrible, episode 71132881

>> No.71134985

>>71133805
I'm guessing he has "found the droid he is looking for" or something.

>> No.71137002

>>71127297
>>making ceramic
>Not really
Not him, but original movable types were made of earthware. You are trying to make fun of him by reading wikipedia. Not the smartest thing to do.

>> No.71139680
File: 186 KB, 560x1214, latest[1].png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71111281
How primitive we talking?

Cause I've seen glassblowing put in some work, pic related.

And if you go SUPER far back, selective breeding for domestication of animal and grain is what singlehandedly got us from hunter-gathers to civilization.

>> No.71139723

>>71111281
Most impactful on overall life quality? Hand washing. Just simple washing hands regularly, especially by doctors and midwives, would massively decrease child mortality rates.

>> No.71139757

>>71111281
Implementation of Mission Command into militaries as well as combined forces doctrine.

Mission Command wasn't developed until WW1 in the Eastern Front. Napoleon used it in some small capacity but it wasn't what it was now.

>economics

Just the basics of division of labor theory would go a long way toward creating a more specialized work force. The main obstacle would be feeding people that didn't farm their own food. But I'm sure figuring out how to bring farming to economies of scale in the context of whatever time wouldn't be impossible.

>> No.71139796

Oh, and germ theory. I have no idea how to prove it but if I had an hour to take notes before going back in time, I could read up

>> No.71141050

Pasteurization

If you can find somebody who knows what saltpeter is, you can teach them how to make gunpowder. Or if they already have gunpowder, tell them about rifling.

Germ theory and the basics of hygiene and sanitation is basically impossible to prove except by demonstration, but there might be some promise there...

Steam power technically existed since antiquity (IIRC the ancient egyptians had little ones that were basically toys) but no one ever thought to make them big enough to power a vehicle. But this isn't exactly something you can build yourself, you need smiths and money.

Find a magnet and some metal. Spin the magnet, and it will induce a current in the metal. You now have an extremely crude electric generator. Find some very thin metal wire and you can make a crude filament. Congratulations, you have invented the light bulb.

>> No.71141072

>>71116297
Stick a copper and zinc lance into a lemon.

Spin coiled copper wire around an ring of magnets.

Seriously, I picked this up when I was like seven.

>> No.71141594
File: 4.96 MB, 4320x3240, Guten-who.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71137002
Not him, but original movable types were made out of wrought iron.

>> No.71141608

>>71139723
>Water isn't clean in the slightest
>No detergent is used
As pointed already itt, enjoy cholera being spread even more than it was historically

>>71141072
>Just get magnets!
Are you retarded or retarded?

>> No.71141632

>>71141072
Because just like lemons, magnets grow on trees.
Whenever I read stuff like your post, I get a flashback with an interview with a marine I've once read. It was about importance of technology in warfare. And the bottom line was the marine boasting that he "Doesn't need space tech to wage war - just give him trousers, rifle and GPS".
You know, the satellite-based navigation system. But no space tech needed!

>> No.71142388

>>71141608
You know that soap was a mystery? And simple water filters with mechanical/biological methods are, well, simple to make.

>> No.71142463
File: 95 KB, 629x540, Sure, honey, whatever you say.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71142388
>Just wash your hands!
>N-no, I of course meant building modern sanitation units and soap dispensers, b-baka anon!

>> No.71142727

>>71142463
Soap has been used since ancient Egypt.

>> No.71142837
File: 13 KB, 400x400, missing.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71142727

>> No.71144251

>>71111281
Recommend technology for early medieval development is:

>medicinal science
>agricultural science
>civil engineering advances
>industrial labor processes

Next pahse development:
>intorduce newtonian physics
>introduce calculus, algebra, and modern accounting
>introduce nuclear theory and modern chemistry
>introduce human anatomy
>introduce modern judicial review and the investigative procedure

Thrid phase:
>introduce theoretical sciences and the humanities/social sciences
>introduce neurobiology/physic
>introduce the arts in general.

>> No.71145875
File: 310 KB, 970x545, 200% historical accuracy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>71144251
>My recommendations is in empty slogans and terms I know nothing about
>I also know jack shit in general and take my knowledge about medieval from pic related

>> No.71146041

>>71144251
>>71145875
You know, as always with cases like this, for better or worse, the terrible, terrible series known as "The Crosstime Engineer" is the only take on the "Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court" that tries to make sense out of utterly bullshit premise.
Namely - by having the character build everything from an absolute scratch, while also making sure he has powerful backers and isn't simply banished or killed. So his first "invention" is a simple promise to make the loom work twice as fast and does just that, by adding flying shuttle. He doesn't promise anything outlandish or spectacular, but always something that's still good enough, while easy to deliver, all while constantly expanding his "industrial" base to be able to keep up and actually introduce something bigger.
Unfortunately, it's also one of the biggest Mary (Marty?) Sue characters in existence, because while it takes the sensible patch with technology and industrialisation, everything else is just pure cringe, verging on cancer.
Still, a passable read for "what's important and needed vs. what's impressive and managable in The Time-traveller Jumpstart scenario"

>> No.71147365

>>71111281
How To Invent Everything is more for Time Travel than Isekai, but it fits.
https://www.howtoinventeverything.com/

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action