Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 254 KB, 850x638, YestEntBlueMood.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55644836 No.55644836 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Disdain for Klingons Edition

Previous Thread: >>55601821

A thread for discussing the Star Trek franchise and its various tabletop iterations.

Possible topics include Star Trek Adventures - the new rpg being produced by Modiphius - and WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing miniatures game, as well as the previous rpgs produced by FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher, the Starfleet Battles Universe, and Star Trek in general.


Game Resources

Star Trek Adventures, Modiphius’ 2d20 RPG
-Official Modiphius Page/Living Campaign rescources
>http://www.modiphius.com/star-trek.html
Playtest Materials (via Biff Tannen)
>https://www.mediafire.com/folder/36m6c22co6y5m/Modiphius%20Star%20Trek%20Adventures
Reverse Engineered Character Creation.
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1g2ofDX0-7tgHojjk7sKcp7uVFSK3M52eVP45gKNJhgY/edit?usp=sharing


Older Licensed RPGs (FASA, Last Unicorn Games and Decipher)
>http://pastebin.com/ndCz650p

Other (Unlicensed) RPGS (Far Trek + Lasers and Feelings)
>http://pastebin.com/uzW5tPwS

WizKids’ Star Trek: Attack Wing Miniatures Game
-Official WizKids Page (Rules and Player Resources)
>http://wizkids.com/attackwing/star-trek-attack-wing/

GF9games Star Trek: Ascendancy Board Game
-Official Page
>http://startrek.gf9games.com/

Lore Resources

Memory Alpha - Canon wiki
>http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Portal:Main

Memory Beta - Noncanon wiki for licensed Star Trek works
>http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

Fan Sites - Analysis of episodes, information on ships, technobabble and more
>http://pastebin.com/mxLWAPXF

Star Trek Maps - Based on the Star Trek Star Charts, updated and corrected
>http://www.startrekmap.com/index.html

/stg/ Homebrew Content
>http://pastebin.com/H1FL1UyP

>> No.55644873

Aside from the weird pistol/knife shoulder belt thing, that was still a nice uniform. I'd have preferred a little more robust belt with multiple phasers and shit. Like Picard was going full Blackbeard.

>> No.55644931

>>55644873
Time and budget constraints, no doubt. Some of the security personnel seemed to have a sort of harness over one shoulder. Perhaps that was intended to let them carry a rifle?

>> No.55645235

Get ready for /pol/ memes after tomorrow's STD ep.
>black leading character goes to jail, gets in fights

>> No.55645369

>>55645235
You can always tell when anyone whining about STD is a new fan who knows shite about Star Trek, even the very basics, because they always complain or praise the race or gender of the lead.
As if there wasn't already black lead for Star Trek back in 1993 and already a female lead for Star Trek back in 1995.

I don't mind ignorant people being ignorant because everyone starts out ignorant. I DO mind ignorant people speaking authoritively about shit they are ignorant about because they want to appeared educated or learned and thus choose both to remain ignorant and then actually brag about it.

We don't have a culture of conservatism or SJW's or liberals anymore, we have a culture of people who want desperately to be "right" all the time but don't want to go through the effort of confirming if they are of correcting themselves if they're wrong.
We live in the OPPOSITE of the Federation right now; a backwards culture that encourages you to be "correct" but teaches you to be afraid of confirming your "correctness" and then goes out of it's way to make learning and developing too expensive or time-consuming to do anymore, and then actually PRAISES you for remaining fucking ignorant about this stuff.

>> No.55645396
File: 119 KB, 1024x576, survey_by_oliverink-dbhvt3r.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55645396

That last episode of The Orville felt very TOS as compared to the prior's quite DS9 feel.

I am OK with this.

>> No.55645428

>>55645396

I'm hoping The Orville will keep up this streak of decent episodes. It's still got some teething problems, but overall I'm enjoying myself way more than I did for the first two STD episodes.

>> No.55645476
File: 107 KB, 655x875, uniforms-page-3-eps-rev-3-converted.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55645476

>>55645369
>As if there wasn't already black lead for Star Trek back in 1993 and already a female lead for Star Trek back in 1995.
Shit, the original pilot had a female XO who was in command of the ship for ~90% of the episode.

>>55644931
Director commentary was that the Yesterday's Enterprise harness was "supposed to look like a rifle bandoleer", so you're probably not far off.

Personally, the DS9 unis are my favorite - hotly followed by the movie-era "Reds". Then again, that's mostly because I'm a damned dirty enlisted man and I liked having coveralls when I was tits-deep in the guts of an aircraft/computer/whatever instead of wearing uniforms you can actually get inspected in all over the place. I mean, I loved my dungarees and the duty dress blues were pretty sexy but once you get the fluid from an E-cap or (God forbid) that horrid slime you get when jet exhaust, diesel, and asphalt make babies together on it, you need a new uniform.

I know, the replicators take care of that, but still. Coveralls, man. Not to mention getting a nice jacket you can wear on shoreleave.

>> No.55645582

>>55645396
>>55645428
I enjoy how they don't bring up anything resembling a Prime Directive.

>> No.55645750
File: 67 KB, 1024x649, the_faceoff_by_oliverink-dbo0rfn.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55645750

>>55645428
Same. Though the teething problems i feel are really just that, there's no fundamental, underlying problems that'd take serious work to fix.

Frakes is directing the next one, so that's something.

>>55645582
Yeah, they just got on with trying to sort shit out. I really like how they just tore open the doors, busted in, and shot that guy before leaving. Nice, no nonsense, made sense.

>> No.55647111

>>55645396
>>55645428
>>55645750
I really just want them to lay off the humour a bit. There's the groundwork for good bridge crew banter there but it keeps on being thrown off by these stilted one-liners.
Otherwise I think the actual plots have been entertaining and the overall feel is that of an upbeat space adventure.

>> No.55647258

>>55645396
The cameo at the end was great too.

>> No.55647464
File: 170 KB, 960x540, ORV101_Orville_with_planet_hires1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55647464

>>55647111
They're struggling to find the balance, and a lot of the banter seems improvised. Some of it I actually quite like because it's very genuine feeling. And at other times it's just not landing right, or distracting a bit. However, I do like that it's kept minimal, they're not trying to pull a Red Dwarf. And if it is at least partly improvised like I suspect, there's a good chance they'll just get better at it.

I'd hate to see it go entirely though as I think the interpersonal banter stuff makes the crew seem that much more relatable. It's one of those things DS9 managed to do now and again, more than any other 'trek series I'd say. On that line though, now that I've thought of it I'm surprised there isn't a Spock/McCoy styled pairing going on. Though I guess that kind of focus might take away from the ensemble piece thing they've got going on with everyone getting a bit of spotlight. Which has also been nice as they manage to jam in moments where they show that they're actually quite good at their jobs, even though they're not the massively varied skill packing uber-people of Star Fleet's finest.

>> No.55647860

>>55645476
This is pretty accurate to real life. Uniform refreshes happen fast and furious.

Also flag officers can design their own uniforms, more or less.

>> No.55647905

>>55645428
The episodes all seem excellent until Seth McFarlane has to make a poop joke.

>>55645750
Frakes will direct anything, but direct it well.

>>55647464
I'm sure Seth McFarlane is tired of getting advice from the internet about the bad jokes.

The fourth episode was excellent as an homage but also as a way of exploring the bridge officer dynamics.

>> No.55648114

>>55647905
One thing I've been really liking is attention to certain details. Such as having pockets on the uniform. Or specifically in that 4th episode, the dropping off the message buoy and the saying at the end they'll be sending along people to help sort things out properly, it's filling in things that have bugged me about 'trek. Especially that last one, so many times even just a throwaway line of the same would have improved the ending of an episode.

>> No.55648612

>>55647905
>Frakes will direct anything, but direct it well.

Didn't he do Insurrection? I mean it's not Generations but it's also not exactly Undiscovered Country either.

>> No.55648658

>>55648612
Exactly. He has no standards for what he'll direct, but he's very good at directing. Which can't exactly save terrible scripts, but it doesn't exacerbate the failings of mediocre ones.

>> No.55648777

>>55648612

Frakes didn't write Insurrection though (Michael Pillar did), so he has that going for him.

>> No.55648862
File: 19 KB, 500x367, carlos.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55648862

>>55648658
I want him to show up as a Gorn extra on Discovery just so he can finally have "Gorn Frakes" on his resume.

>> No.55649632

>>55648612
Insurrections problems lie in the script. Even Paramount executives saw that and sent a memo how to fix it. But for some reason alot of the changes never happened and we got the movie we did.

>> No.55649653

>>55649632
There were too many changes by the writer, not too few. Paramount did want a light hearted adventure more than the writing staff did though.

>> No.55649688

Wtf The Orville is actually really good

I didn't think Seth Macfarlane had it in him after the abortion Family Guy turned into, though I guess it only really turned to shit after he handed off writing duties to other people.

>> No.55649716

>>55645396
>>55645428
I'm enjoying Orville a lot more than I thought I would. I was afraid it was going to be a "laugh at what stupid loosers these people are" sort of show. But the characters are actually likable. It has its rough edges, but it's just getting started. I think these first few episodes have been better than most of TNGs first season.

>> No.55649808

>>55645476
So I've been messing around with the Discovery uniforms in STO and they're not that bad with recolours. Oh it doesn't look amazing but you can salvage it into the three primary colours. Big issue I have however are the com-badges. Your emblem is the only way to tell your rank & department. That just doesn't fit Star Trek imo. The WOK uniforms had the coloured stripes remember. The discovery ones you're looking at someone's tits to work out who & what they are. Too bad if you're behind them

>> No.55649812

>>55649716
It's also funny that after all the meming at STD for Burnham possibly being a tranny, the Orville now has the lead on that count.

>> No.55649825

I'm only just now getting into Star Trek, everything I know about it is just pop culture osmosis. How common is armor in Starfleet? Do most never bother with it because of how powerful phasers are? It seems like it'd still be useful for away teams since, even if it can't protect against advanced weaponry, it can still protect against environmental hazards or primitive weapons. Unless regular Starfleet uniforms are some kind of super-durable fabric in and of themselves.

>> No.55649828

>>55649716
>I think these first few episodes have been better than most of TNGs first season.
Hundred percent with you there. I'd say the pilot was average, the second episode was weak and the third & fourth was good.

TNG on the other hand had a really bad pilot and didn't get better than so-so for the whole season. So yeah. Orville has impressed me

>> No.55649834

>>55649825
In universe they're supposed to be super armor pajamas by TNG and later, but everyone else is carrying anti tank weapons as sidearms.

>> No.55649836

>>55649812
I am 100% surprised Burnham isn't a gay tranny

>> No.55649841

>>55649828
I'm honestly really enjoying it so far and I usually don't like Seth Macfarlane's stuff. I honestly think the critics were way too harsh on it, and that as the season goes on they ease up on it a bit.

>> No.55649851

>>55649836
I think someone under age 35 had a talk with the production team about what a horrible branding/memetic mistake it would be to reduce the main character to a literal gay nigger from outer space.

>> No.55649853

>>55649841
I don't know either, I'm really surprised it got that low. I wonder how many episodes they got and what got screened

>> No.55649855

>>55649828

Yeah, episode 3 and 4 really jumped in quality. Though I personally liked episode 2 more than the pilot.

>> No.55649860

>>55649851
She is probably going to still be gay

>> No.55649863

>>55649834
That makes sense. I just always wondered how crew members weren't constantly suffering bruises, concussions, and broken limbs from the ship shaking every time it gets hit in combat.

Then again this is the future so they can probably fix any of those in a like, a minute at most, but an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure as they say.

>> No.55649864

>>55649808

I made mine black, used the mirror-ENT belt with the dagger, the Intel gloves, and the TOS Terran Empire chest pin. Looks pretty good. Add mustache to twirl and it's perfect.

>>55649825

Armor really isn't used. There's not a lot you could feasibly do when a hand phaser can put out enough energy to completely disintegrate someone. While it would make sense to have some armor or expedition clothing, we rarely see either (though we HAVE seen them, notably in TOS, the TOS era movies, TNG, and ENT).

>> No.55649877

>>55649841
Allegedly (alleged by no-one who isn't anonymous) they're being paid to give it bad ratings so it's competition looks better. On the one hand we know this does happen from time-to-time on the other I'd be surprised that FOX would allow that to happen to one their properties. They usually don't let ratings affect what they kill or not.

>> No.55649885

>>55647905
>The episodes all seem excellent until Seth McFarlane has to make a poop joke.

Wasn't that episode 2? With the illusion of his father talking about colon stuff?

>> No.55649898

>>55649864
It always kind of bothered me that no one ever wore any kind of protective equipment. Maybe I'm just an autist or something.

Even if a phaser can disintegrate you, it would be smart to wear a helmet or kneepads or something while you're climbing around uncharted wilderness.

>> No.55649912

>>55649860
Reasonably attractive lesbians have been a staple of scifi for decades. Jadzia already explored the topic on DS9.

>> No.55649919

>>55649877
I'd be more inclined to believe that critics went into it expecting it to be like Seth Macfarlane's other works with poop jokes and an overabundance of pop culture references, but I haven't really noticed much of that.

>> No.55649920

>>55649855
2 was disappointing to me, Alara's arc did nothing for me since it was so cookie-cut and the aliens weren't all that interesting. Meanwhile I thought the pilot served it's purpose and didn't get boring at any point.

>> No.55649923

>>55649912
Exactly. Burnham is going to be gay

>> No.55649925

>>55649898
It's basically a visual media thing - plot importance is inversely proportional to the amount of armor you wear. That's why hardened warriors in thick faceless armor get shrekt by science officers in spandex.

>> No.55649945

>>55649919
Maybe. It makes sense I guess. I'd believe it, it's just that I'm surprised there'd be so many critics with that particular of a taste

>> No.55649958

>>55649898
Why not just wear personal shields? I'm surprised the Combadges aren't considering how they've been swiss-knifed into everything else

>> No.55649961

>>55649920

It wasn't anything new but I appreciated Alara's arc after spending years of 'God fucking dammit wesley'. Seeing the new rookie actually fucking it up and needing some advice to understand that she doesn't always know best.

That and to be honest, I find Alara fucking adorable a lot of the time.

>>55649919

I did go into it expecting not to like it. I ended up re-watching the pilot episode so that I could see it again without a dislike of Seth Macfarlane's other stuff ruining it.

It seems like he does semi-serious semi-comedy better than pure comedy. Or possibly just that he hasn't had time to turn each of them into a parody of themselves.

>> No.55649967

>>55649958
Same reason we never got a Voyager sequel. Above a certain power level, scifi becomes too alien for dumb TV writers to generate episode plots from.

>> No.55649974
File: 139 KB, 1152x864, Hazard_suit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55649974

>>55649825
Starfleet is never shown using armor in the shows. The Elite Force video game has "hazard suits" but that's non-canon.

The only races that really use boy armor in Star Trek are Kligons and Hirogen. The Klingons have it for hand-to-hand combat. It doesn't do jack against energy weapons. Hirogen actually does offer some protection against energy weapons, but they make a big deal about how advanced and awesome it is.

>> No.55649989
File: 7 KB, 154x154, 1480551766838.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55649989

>>55649974
>boy armor

>> No.55649990
File: 435 KB, 479x1103, Laubenstein - TNG sourcebook - the most racist field trip.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55649990

>>55649828
>>55649716
To be fair, TNG's first season was mostly hastily-retreaded scripts that were originally written for Phase II. Once they got out of that rut and Gene died, things got a lot better. If you ever want a serious laugh, read through the FASA Trek TNG books; they were based heavily on the writer's guide for season one. The later book has >only< photos and info from the Writer's Guide. Among other things, they use Armin Shimmerman's "no teeth" makeup test for the Ferengi, include the Ferengi and those stupid parasites as the major villains, and actually explicitly mention the Klinks joining the Federation (which was supposed to be the case already, but Yesterday's Enterprise kind of scuttled that). Then FASA got the Executive Paddle, unfortunately.

If anyone wants to hear more about that I'll have some time to write it up tomorrow, but in the meantime I encourage you to have a look at the books. If for no other reason than Jeff Laubenstien's hilarious illustrations.

>> No.55649997

>>55649958

Shields are, sadly, a bit dull in TV stuff for personal scale (For a ship they work better as you can punch through the shield and tear up the ship without it being game over).

Without a shield, you can take a glancing hit and be hurt or down but not dead but if there are shields they tend towards 'Shields are holding, all is good' and 'Shields have failed, why is this guy not dead?'

It's sorta the opposite of why STO went with personal shields. That in a video game it's goofy as fuck to take 10-20 hits without slowing to your flesh. Otherwise you get Voyager's issue where guns never fucking kill anything because they seem to be set to 'Medium punch' levels.

>> No.55650014

>>55649997
>Otherwise you get Voyager's issue where guns never fucking kill anything because they seem to be set to 'Medium punch' levels.

There's another question, how many different settings do phasers have, and what's Starfleet's policy on "Stun" vs. "Kill"?

>> No.55650023
File: 190 KB, 1080x1350, 1506032362157.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55650023

>>55649961
>Seeing the new rookie actually fucking it up and needing some advice to understand that she doesn't always know best.
I guess I can see this. Personally I've seen this episode in tons of other shows, all the while completely blocking out Wesley and his shit character. But I guess it is a good counter to Wesley.
>That and to be honest, I find Alara fucking adorable a lot of the time.
Damn Straight. She's a very watchable character. I wish I had more pictures

>Or possibly just that he hasn't had time to turn each of them into a parody of themselves.
Apparently he pitched it as a straight homage and FOX insisted he put jokes in. Given that I think this is his love child right now and isn't going to let it get out of hand, especially since he's playing the main character so he can't just hand it off on someone else

>> No.55650032

>>55650014
>how many different settings do phasers have
At least 12, based on lines from TNG about the maximum setting being level 12.

>what's Starfleet's policy on "Stun" vs. "Kill"
Stun basically all of the time, Kill if shit doesn't stun.

>> No.55650040

>>55650014
Per Kira teaching Ziyal, the standard TNG era phaser rifle has 15 power settings from "mild stun" to mass disintegration. The Cardassian phaser rifle was simpler, more reliable, and packed a slightly harder punch. It was an obvious expy for Vietnam era M16s and AKMs.

>> No.55650047

>>55649997
Given how the Dominion guns destroy your entire body in one hit, stuff like personal shields and the like might actually bring things down to a manageable level while still allowing for escalation. "due to your shields these guns won't kill you in one hit and you'll just get wounded. The only stop projectiles though so remember you combat training" kind of thing.

>> No.55650049

>>55650040
And the Dominion standard setting for a prison camp is "leave no evidence"

>> No.55650050
File: 80 KB, 762x718, 1506786195068.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55650050

Literally did nothing wrong. All fucking Klingons must fucking hang.

>> No.55650057
File: 3.07 MB, 6830x3840, Mirror Paulo.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55650057

>>55649864

Here's a screenshot I just took. I forgot to say that I also use the Technician 1 chest gear since it looks like you could hand grenades or equipment on it.

>>55649898

They do wear some stuff in some of the movies. In particular the security armor and helmets in Undiscovered Country (scroll down or search "security uniform". But, it's never consistent.

>> No.55650063

>>55650050
>MUTINY

>> No.55650068

>>55650014

Going by the Last Unicorn RPG they have 'A bloody lot'

Stun(Light, Medium, Heavy) Heavy runs the risk of killing at point blank range but is generally safe. It's what was used in The Undiscovered Country to kill the two assassins. Kill and Disintegrate have similar sub-categories for a bloody lot of fine control. On top of this you have stuff like 'Wide beam' or 'Continuous fire' (For using it like a cutting torch).

In comparison, disruptors start at 'Heavy stun' and tend to have less subcategories within kill and disintegrate as they care a lot less about fine control and more about putting a guy in the dirt. It's a weapon, not a tool.

>> No.55650073

>>55650050
>Sucker punching superior officer because your shitty plan hinges on shit you can't account for
>Failing anyway
>Killing the guy you made it your mission to capture
Yeah no

>> No.55650079

>>55650057
That looks nothing like it though, it could be any jacket. I think to make things work you can't just black out every detail, that's just not trying

>> No.55650081

>>55650057

>They do wear some stuff in some of the movies. In particular the security armor and helmets in Undiscovered Country (scroll down or search "security uniform". But, it's never consistent.

That's also part of it. Budget. With armour, you need an extra uniform for each cast member (And extras) for 'They think they'll need to fight' and Star Trek has often been on the border of it's budget at the best of times.

So the movies can do that but the TV series often can't.

>> No.55650087

>>55650057
>>55650079

That's the STD uniform in black because he's supposed to mirror universe.

I meant to link this:

>http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Starfleet_uniform_(late_2270s-2350s)

>> No.55650095

>>55650073
>Killing the guy you made it your mission to capture
All because he killed the Captain. Remember she switched setting on the gun JUST because of that. She is definitely gay and scissored the Captain

>> No.55650116
File: 70 KB, 1440x776, Blocks Your Path.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55650116

BEHOLD

>> No.55650126

>>55649990
Hey now, the TOS film era FASA books are grade A aside from the terrible ships. There's a clear spirit of adventure and age of sail vibe in every book and adventure. It's just TNG was dumb as shit to start. Be sure to post the Bad Dragon Ferengi neural whip though.

>> No.55650127

>>55650116
I just started playing STO and apparently that's one you have to spend real money on. NOPE. Although I have to say the Stargazer class looks worse.

Cheyenne has grown on me.

>> No.55650170

>>55650116
It's a shame the nacelles aren't standing like they should be. I do wish there was a little more bulk in the rear of the saucer to give the impression of an actual engineering section

>> No.55650220
File: 75 KB, 1429x1067, USSStargazer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55650220

>> No.55650236

>>55649974
What about the movies?

>> No.55650241

>>55650050
The thing is, I agreed with her until she went crazy and tried to mutiny.

>> No.55650242

Cardassian or Orion Security Officer? Either would be Female

>> No.55650251

>>55650242
Cardassian. They're just an all around better alien. Interesting culture, history, and design. Orions are just spray painted slavers with pheromones

>> No.55650255

>>55650242
Tholian renegade. Maximum oddness.

>> No.55650266
File: 80 KB, 798x592, Wide_beam_dispersal_phaser.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55650266

>>55649997
>Shields are, sadly, a bit dull in TV stuff for personal scale
Nothing about Star Trek ground combat makes much sense for exactly that reason.

An earnest phaser battle shouldn't look anything like a gun fight. The things are too powerful and versatile. They can blast through slabs of solid rock. They have wide beam settings that can sweep over a whole area. Yet when we see Dominion War ground battles everyone acts like they're holding a semi-automatic rifle, because that's what works for TV.

>> No.55650278

>>55650266

Yeah, it's the nature of TV. If you go too weird/away from what people expect you worry about losing viewers or making the message harder to sell (In the case of the dominion war stuff).

>> No.55650302
File: 1.06 MB, 1252x721, Untitled-1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55650302

Rate my Uniform /stg/ I'm going for a Sixties vibe.

>> No.55650318

>>55650302
Honestly? I'd take getting sewn into the Motion Picture uniforms plus wearing full facial prosthetics. Tone down the white and the pastels. Please.

>> No.55650329

>>55650302
I really like the Vulcan, it works in blue. Maybe the Yellow next to her. The rest is meh.

>> No.55650336

>>55650266
Imagine a fight between two groups of D&D Wizards who can cast Disintegrate and Fireball at will. That's what a phaser battle should look like.

>> No.55650358

>>55650336

I now very much want to put a TNG vacuum cleaner hand phaser in with the loot. I should make a flowchart for figuring it out too like they did with the laser weapons in Expedition to the Barrier Peaks.

>> No.55650359
File: 693 KB, 1429x1067, Pls no bully.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55650359

>> No.55650407
File: 196 KB, 398x414, 1261937862595.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55650407

>>55650073
>Sucker punching
Pinching*

>> No.55650450

>>55650302
certainly sixties i guess

>> No.55650452

>>55650047
>Given how the Dominion guns destroy your entire body in one hit
That's not true, there's several episodes where someone survives a Dominion rifle hit. It's a minor plot point in one episode even, where it's stated that it somehow has an anti-coagulant and the ensign dies a slow bleeding death over the course of the episode. The episode where they're salvaging the crashed Dominion ship.

Also Nog survived a shot by one.

>> No.55650569

>>55650452

> Also Nog survived a shot by one.

So did Jadzia.

>> No.55650994

>>55649688
On the other hand, American Dad became good after he went hands-off.

>> No.55651321

>>55650452
I guess its different to most energy weapons that would probably cauterise the wound.

>> No.55651343

I don't get how people are butthurt over the "Vulcan hello" Vucans are well established as being violent dicks who'd shoot first if they thought you were unable or unworthy of being reasoned with, they were even worse in the Enterprise era.

They've only loosened up as a civilisation well into the TNG era.

>> No.55651401

>>55651343

No one's butthurt over it. They might have been back when ENT was new, but ENT got to paint the Vulcans with the stupid brush, so instead of them controlling their emotions through logic, using ritual as an outlet for them as the need arises, and generally revering Surak for an implied long period of time, we got Archer returning Surak's katra to the wayward semi-crazy Vulcans.

Shooting first is exactly what ENT Vulcans would do. But I think this is an accidental continuity with ENT, rather than intentional.

>> No.55651986

>>55651401
Every Vulcan was an asshole even before ENT, it's just ENT shows them being the same kind of asshole who doesn't have to deal with the moderating influence of the Federation.

>> No.55651990

>>55651986
I mean, every Vulcan but Spock. Maybe his human DNA mellowed him out.

>> No.55652620
File: 712 KB, 894x566, XIvc7as.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55652620

>>55650023
Alara is good, it really is nice to see the young character fuck up rather than be as good at everything as anyone else.

Bortus is also rather good, I'm glad that he's really not a Worf-clone (so easily could have been) and the relationship dynamic he's got adds something the others don't have as pretty much everyone else in the command crew is single, occasionally dating in the confirmed case of Alara and a gelatinous blob trying to woo her in the case of the doctor. Still having to look up character names though for as some reason they're just not sticking with me. I suspect this is just because I am lousy at names, I mean 'Dr. Claire Finn' isn't exactly that hard to remember. 'Yaphit' (the blob) might well be though. Apparently he's an engineer?

I am kinda surprised that Bortus's husband isn't a crewman though. Still, from what we've seen it looks like that's an oddity on the ship, doesn't seem to be a bunch of family and kids around.

>> No.55652870

>>55649923
But she was raised by Vulcans, and being gay would be illogical.

So she'll discover she's gay during the series.

Sigh.

>> No.55653386

>>55650127
I wouldn't say you have to spend money. It just takes a fuckload of time to get what you want if you don't.

>> No.55653419
File: 233 KB, 1280x836, Constellation Refit.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55653419

>>55650359

>> No.55653464

>>55653419
>These are the voyages of the USS Dangerously Cheesy
>her continuing mission, to seek out hungry people and bring them dinner in 30 minutes or less

>> No.55653542 [SPOILER] 
File: 67 KB, 600x561, 1506874466207.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55653542

>>55653464
>USS Dangerously Cheesy

Well we know who the captain has gotta be in that case.

>> No.55653600

>>55653542
Exactly.

>> No.55653726

>>55650236
In some of the latter TOS movies, there were some guys with body armor on

>> No.55653882

>>55653726
Discovery also had people wearing a sort of a tactical vest.

Not that it seem to protect against anything.

>> No.55654382
File: 58 KB, 1280x736, IMG_7939.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55654382

>>55651986
Vulcans were assholes before ENT, they were just completely tactless and blunt. Spock's dad was actually deliberately written by Roddenberry to be something of a rude asshole, not an "average" Vulcan.
In ENT however, everyone regardless of species was both an asshole and retarded, even if their Vulcans looked great naked.

>> No.55654399

How would the federation react to Necromorphs?

>> No.55654548
File: 327 KB, 1197x1244, full-burn-arcass.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55654548

>>55654399
By SCIENCE!-ing them.

>> No.55654596

>>55654548
That is a baby bottle in space WTF

>> No.55654613

>>55654399
It would probably be treated like any other disease, albeit a particularly nasty one. They'd be like biological Borg without advanced weapons or higher intelligence, and phasers set to disintegrate would render moot the whole "you gotta cut off the limbs!" weakness.

The real trouble would be the Markers driving everyone insane, and that would probably go double for species like the Vulkans and Betazoids.

>> No.55654628

>>55654596
You must be new here.

>> No.55654636

>>55654399
A fixable problem, honestly.
Necromorphs are certainly dangerous but Starfleet has weapons that could destroy them fairly easily, and ultimately they just kill stuff by using blunt physical force which isn't that different from a lot of other dangerous space animals.
They also could probably do something like >>55654399 and replicate that signal that turned them all into goo after you put the Marker on it's pedestal fairly easily, and they'd rapidly come to the conclusion that destroying the Marker is the safest way of ending the problem.

And then the Captain's log would reflect upon the fragile nature of life and death and the boundaries in between or some weird philosophical shit like that.

>> No.55654650

>>55654613
Even phasers on a lower setting could simply blow them apart.

>> No.55654667

>>55654650
That too.

Really the only real danger would come down to psychic fuckery although I'm sure there's some kind of tinfoil helmet that protects your mind from weird shit SOMEWHERE in Star Trek canon.

>> No.55654679

>>55654613
>the Markers driving everyone insane

There's probably a magic armband or forehead thing with a blinking light for that. Or a convenient unaffectable crewman like the EMH or Data hanging around to fix things.

>> No.55654722

>>55654667
Considering the range of ST weapons and the fact that you can program a hologram to pilot a ship, the Markers are only a threat to those who first discover it.

>> No.55654725 [DELETED] 

>>55651343
It's not even a matter of seeing Klingons as "unworthy." It's that they knew from experience that Klingons attack them without provocation. Therefore it was logical to treat Klingon ships as known hostiles and take the initiative when encountering them.

Sarek also stressed that just because that worked out in that particular time and set of circumstances doesn't mean its applicable to their current situation. Which Burnham just flatly ignored.

Sarek also stressed that just because

>> No.55654751

>>55651343
It's not even a matter of seeing Klingons as "unworthy." It's that they knew from experience that Klingons attack them without provocation. Therefore it was logical to treat Klingon ships as known hostiles and take the initiative when encountering them.

Sarek also stressed that just because that worked out in that particular time and set of circumstances doesn't mean its applicable to their current situation. Which Burnham just flatly ignored.

>> No.55654851

>>55654679
Starfleet should require at least one non-biological crew member on every ship for this reason.

>> No.55654924
File: 570 KB, 427x600, Star-Trek-Art-Cover-Mock-Up-Promo-No-Logos_2_grande.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55654924

Is anyone currently playing this? Is the system decent? Does it handle the Star Trek lore well?

>> No.55654985

>>55654924
Yes, yes and yes. It's not even a qualified recommendation like older star trek RPGs, it's just a good system that works for the setting.

>> No.55654989

>>55650302
Power rangers.

>> No.55654990
File: 46 KB, 400x462, space fun helmet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55654990

>>55654667
>>55654679

>> No.55655242

>>55654924
So far the system feels pretty solid. My group and I are still learning it and we haven't hit any major snags thus far. Today we're doing ship to ship combat, which should be interesting since it's a Nova vs. an Orion Raider in an asteroid field.

>> No.55655743

>>55654990
DEEPEST LORE

>> No.55656163

>>55654990
What was the deal with the Spock helmet?

Did he ever actually wear it? What was its purpose?

>> No.55656216

>>55656163
Clearly it's a Space Fun Helmet. Totally not just a toy 'police' helmet with Spock written on it and repackaged with a Star Trek theme to make a quick buck.

>> No.55656268
File: 629 KB, 2800x1178, 814af8e172ebfdf83afcbdb3621ae353f5962d03.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55656268

Why is thing included in Attack Wing, and why can it attack? Hell, why doesn't it have just 1 hull point and straight 0s in the other stats? It's like having a Trireme in a game about WW2 navel battles.

>> No.55656287
File: 103 KB, 500x588, Spock Hat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55656287

>>55654990

>> No.55656476
File: 40 KB, 350x473, 1485549989212.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55656476

>>55656287
>that lens flare

>> No.55656523

>>55656163
Nothing like that was ever in Star Trek. The reason people like to use it in memes is because it was such an incredibly clumsy attempt to brand a completely unrelated toy as Star Trek merchandise.

>> No.55656655
File: 69 KB, 637x271, voodieh-beauty.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55656655

>>55656268
>Why is thing included in Attack Wing,
Barrel-scraping

>and why can it attack? Hell, why doesn't it have just 1 hull point and straight 0s in the other stats? It's like having a Trireme in a game about WW2 navel battles.
So is having the NX-01 up against a Negh'var, and yet it somehow manages not to get instantly curb-stomped. Hell, I used a couple TOS Warbirds against the frigging Borg/Locutus juggernauts to lethal effect for a while. Logic and Attack Wing do not go in the same room, the design space is too limited.

>> No.55657052
File: 26 KB, 545x394, Jake_Sisko_and_Burke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55657052

>>55649825
DS9 had a grounder in some sort of armor

>> No.55657150
File: 56 KB, 640x459, 4dfb8b59055f735f8d30d2cb3fb46cc8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55657150

>>55656655
That gives really image of a bunch of old klingons. Dinosaurs of another era who don't really understand this modern world still fucking around in their increasingly antiquated ships looking for a beautiful death. Then they see a Borg Cube on the horizon and know that their day is here. Survival was never an option, they will have their anti-matter funeral pyre.

>> No.55657155

>>55657052
Looks like it worked really well.

>> No.55657316

>>55657155
Well he's still alive and conscious at that point and if he'd had medical access he'd live.

>> No.55657347

>>55657316
Better than the STD """armour""" that can't even stop sharp bits of metal.

>> No.55657437

>>55657347
To be fair I'm not sure modern Kevlar would do well against a plunged sword, either.

>> No.55657510

>>55657347

While I'm not defending STD here, I doubt that the Klingon EVA suit was armored in anything more than a ceremonial manner. It can't probably mitigate micrometeoroids, but there's zero chance it could stop the plot armored freight train steaming toward it.

>> No.55657529

>>55657510

*can probably rather than can't, my bad.

>> No.55657810
File: 30 KB, 286x475, aka the one where O'Brien is a little shit for no reason, Worf is competent (at running away) and Troi is a little bit racist (so sad but it's true).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55657810

>> No.55657845

>>55657810
Hey weren't you knocking Masks in another thread? That was a pretty interesting culture by Trek standards, and it had to have been written for Kirk because Picard is knee deep in masked women after taking off his own.

>> No.55657942

>>55657810

>a Trek novel is shit

What else is new.

>> No.55657981

>>55657437
Depends if it was layers for bullets or the stuff used in stab-vests. Also I don't think it's Kevlar anymore. Still, there's plenty of sci-fi light armour types that could have been perfect. Like the old thing (I last remember it in Deus Ex outside of IRL experiments, but then I've not been keeping track) of a flexible armour that hardens on impact. Good ol' steel still protects against blades as much as it ever did; basically perfectly at an appropriate thickness and shaping.

Honestly though that they even bothered with armour when they went boarding the klingon ship is a surprise, that it didn't work isn't.

>> No.55657985
File: 34 KB, 292x480, aka not the Season 7 episode (but it does feel a lot like a Season 1 episode).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55657985

>>55657845
>That was a pretty interesting culture by Trek standards
I agree, and I do like the book (rushed ending aside), it just would've been completely ridiculous to film as an episode
>>55657942
For all my griping, they do fall under "guilty pleasure to read on the train" category for me.

>> No.55658035
File: 2.68 MB, 1600x2463, u_s_s__discovery_redesign_concept_by_hanzhefu-daiqqcg.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55658035

>>55657985
Whenever I see a mask with a mouth like that I can't help but think of that bit in Venture Brothers with the Batman mask.

It's infuriating.

>> No.55658055

>>55657985

I just can't read them without being pulled out of it by the usually terrible prose, and even when the prose isn't terrible, it's structural stuff or characters behaving out of character.

I stopped reading them fourteen or fifteen years ago. But, if you enjoy them, by all means do so.

>> No.55658087

>>55658035
They're all like that, or worse. The whole culture wears masks based on social status and job on a Not!Europe planet. It's actually not that bad writing wise for an early Trek book The cover mask is almost like Excalibur, iirc.

>>55658055
They're okay genre fiction that I can just turn my brain off to read, and I know the characters already.

>> No.55658259
File: 307 KB, 1920x1080, kestrel-jan-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55658259

>>55658087
>The whole culture wears masks based on social status and job on a Not!Europe planet.

Ahh so it's that thread someone makes every few months either as an 'original' idea or just copy-pasting the last one again about exactly that society set up.

>> No.55658269

>>55658035
Needs an Ambassador-style "lip" around the shuttlebay door connecting the nacelle pylons...

>> No.55658281

>>55658259
Yeah but written in 1988.

>> No.55658371

>>55658035
Oh wow, this ship actually looks pretty good.

>> No.55658740

>>55644836
No, dude, stop trying to shill this tired old property/

>> No.55658815

>>55658740
No u

>> No.55658839
File: 183 KB, 515x339, Baran's_mercenary_vessel.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55658839

>>55656655
>Barrel-scraping
There are still plenty of canon ships that can actually fight they haven't used yet. Like this would make a good independent ship that's actually independent.

>So is having the NX-01 up against a Negh'var, and yet it somehow manages not to get instantly curb-stomped.
The TOS and Enterprise era stuff should be a lot weaker compared to 24th century ships, but at least they have weapons and engines. The light sail ship would just be a sitting duck that can't even evade or run away effectively.

>> No.55658868

>>55658839
>The The Original Series

>> No.55658894

>>55658839
>Fire phasers at the light sail ship
>The sails absorb the phaser fire and just makes it go faster

>> No.55658933
File: 24 KB, 279x475, aka the one where Spock is a huge dick for no damn reason.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55658933

>>55658035
To be fair, the way the mask is described in the book makes it sound a lot cooler than the cover art looks
>>55658055
>characters behaving out of character.
Oh, Imbalance has a dilly... See, Keiko is part of the Away Team to look at the plants on the Jaradan homeworld, and Miles isn't happy about her going down. Keiko explains that it's her job AND a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, but Miles just wants to have her on the ship so they can celebrate their six-month anniversary.

Miles continues to pout throughout the whole book, even after talking to Troi (who gives a weird spiel about how the reason Miles and Keiko don't see eye to eye is because he's Irish and she grew up with Samurai tradition) and Geordi has to tell him not to be such a little bitch.

To make matters worse, she's joined on her botany expedition by some hunky guy from her department, which makes Miles jealous. The mission goes tits up, and Keiko and Ensign Hunky get caught in a forest fire, but get beamed up in time. Unfortunately for Miles' mood, she's giving Ensign Hunky cpr or some shit, so they actually have a fight in the fucking transporter room, right in front of other crew members (Worf has to leave because he gets fed up with their shit almost immediately).

Miles eventually apologises to Keiko for being such a fecking cunt, when Dr Crusher reveals the big twist of this shitshow of a novel: Keiko's pregnant! Naturally, she's pissed at Miles for this, and Miles ends the novel by openly wondering if she'll be mad at him forever for doing one of the things married couples do all the damn time.

>> No.55658936

>>55658740
Star Trek has multiple new shows generating material, has a new and really great RPG, has actively supported minis games, and is a good /tg/ friendly setting. It's hardly shilling or a tired old property. Take your weak ass bait and go fish somewhere else. I hear 40k is easily triggered.

>> No.55658963

>>55658933
>tl;dr: the Japanese Hate Ghost is terrible and the Paddy ruins everything because he's stupid.
Yup, sounds like the O'Brian's alright.

>> No.55659052

>>55658035
That looks so much better, while still being reminiscent of the old concept art they were basing it on.

>> No.55659222 [SPOILER] 
File: 45 KB, 500x377, 1506901342626.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55659222

A few quick questions for anyone who has played/read the Modiphus Trek game:

1: What are the playable races in the core rulebook?
2: Are there any rules to homebrew a playable race if one isn't conveniently available?
3: Is the game set up more the the PCs to play a bridge crew/away team, or more along the lines of senior department heads and/or the CO/XO?
4: How easy is it to start up a TOS-era campaign?

I have a bunch of friends who dared me to run a Trek game; I'm tempted to do so out of spite.

>> No.55659355

>>55659222
1. Andorian, Bajoran, Betazoid, Denobulan, Human, Tellarite, Trill, and Vulcan

2. Yep. If I can make a dragongirl work, you can make whatever species you have in mind work.

3. Depends on the style of game you want to play. My own game follows the senior staff, but I know some games focus on the enlisted crew and/or lower-ranks in general.

4. Pretty easy. There's a few prewritten adventures out there that you could use to jump right in.

>> No.55659435

>>55659222
>1: What are the playable races in the core rulebook?
While >>55659355 is correct and those are the main races, there are also basic rules for Klingons, Romulans, Ferengi, Cardassians, Jem'Hadar, Vorta, and Borg characters. They lack racial specific Talents, but those are easy to design.

>2: Are there any rules to homebrew a playable race if one isn't conveniently available?
No dedicated rules, but all races basically follow the same rules, so it's super easy to make your own race.

>3: Is the game set up more the the PCs to play a bridge crew/away team, or more along the lines of senior department heads and/or the CO/XO?
You can do either, but I personally feel that it is best as a show simulator: the PCs are department heads and/or the CO/XO. The feel of the system really wants to emulate the shows and that's what was on the shows, so there you have it.

>4: How easy is it to start up a TOS-era campaign?
Perfectly easy. Your tech is a little more limited and there aren't rules for any ships of the era except the Constitution, Miranda, and Excelsior, but otherwise, everything's good. You can even run an Enterprise era game if you want to.

>> No.55659528

>>55659355
>>55659435
Cool, thanks for the info. I'm planning on having my players be new officers, so I have a little more control over the overall plot (choo choo, motherfuckers), at least until they have a good grasp of the Old School Trek.

Might have to rulebash a Pioneer-class, as that's what I want them to be tooling around in at first.

>> No.55659550

>>55659528
If you give me a bit, I can actually bash one together for you if you'd like.

>> No.55659587

>>55659550
Oh, cool! Thanks! Pioneer-class is Best Class, and I want my players to experience more than just Jim Kirk's Bordello Adventures.

>> No.55659634

>>55659587
So, there is a severe dearth of information about the Pioneer. From what I've found, it is a small frigate ship, probable crew size of 150-200 people (remember that they packed them in during TOS). It has fairly minimal armament and seems to be a moderately fast ship. If this all sounds good to you, I'll go grab my STA core book and bash this out for you. You will need a copy of the rules to read the stats I'll provide you though.

>> No.55659693

>>55659634
> If this all sounds good to you, I'll go grab my STA core book and bash this out for you.
I'd be grateful, thanks. I just picked up the PDF of the rules and am giving them a glance right now.

>> No.55659696
File: 785 KB, 684x7760, Voyager Viewing Guide Full V1.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55659696

It's done. I'm sick to my balls of Voyager, but it's done. I've come out the other side with a new... well, not appreciation, exactly, but a new understanding of the show.

As before, the ratings are relative to the series itself."Good" and "Great" are self evident. "Okay" here effectively means that the episode is watchable but dull. "Bad" is effectively unwatchable. Pink entries are memes, "so bad it can potentially be enjoyed for its badness".

And I suppose I should say something about the ratings being subjective. But we're on 4chan, so I hardly expect any of that to stop you from berating me if your personal favourite episode isn't recognised here. The only advice I can offer you is to maybe chill once in a while.

Don't ever say I don't do nice things for you /stg/.

>> No.55659725

>>55659696
Have you done these for any of the other series?

>> No.55659747
File: 413 KB, 800x3071, Enterprise Viewing Guide V2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55659747

>>55659725
Here's the Enterprise one I made. There's others that were made by some other dude that I'll post too.

>> No.55659761
File: 2.15 MB, 899x8999, ST viewing guide 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55659761

DS9

>> No.55659775
File: 3.89 MB, 1080x8800, ST viewing guide 2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55659775

TNG

>> No.55659796
File: 1.99 MB, 1080x5800, ST viewing guide 4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55659796

TOS, won't post the incomplete Voyager one for obvious reasons.

>> No.55659820
File: 31 KB, 619x463, Pioneer_class_schematic.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55659820

>>55659693
Ok, here you go, the Pioneer-class, circa 2250s-60s.

Comms 08
Computers 07
Engines 08
Sensors 07
Structure 08
Weapons 07

Command -
Conn +1
Security +1
Engineering -
Science -
Medicine -

Scale: 3

Weaponry:
Phaser Banks (5 dice)
Photon Torpedoes (6 dice)
Tractor Beam (Strength 2)

Talents:
Rugged Design

Recommended Departments:
Pathfinder and Recon (suggested Talent: Improved Warp Drive)
Multirole Explorer (suggested Talent: Redundant Systems)

>> No.55659861

>>55659820
Different anon here - think you could do the Steamrunner?

>> No.55659891
File: 44 KB, 750x600, 1264137893833.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55659891

>>55659820
Damn man, you're my hero.

>> No.55659985

>>55659747
Carpenter Street should have been summarized with 'The lizard people, they've got ray guns!'

Thanks for posting these

>> No.55660011

>>55659891
So, there's a bunch of stuff I didn't include in that statblock, because shio creation is not well described and has a lot of derived information. For instance, your Resistance is your Scale (usually), your Power is your Engines score, your Shields are your Structure plus your Security, your Crew Support is... something? Weapons also have special stats, but you gotta find those yourself, I honestly don't know them too well yet.

>>55659861
Hahaha already did this actually, as I am the original Steamrunner fag and want to run a campaign on the Steamrunner herself. Here you go, the USS Steamrunner, registry number NX-52000.

Engines 11
Computers 9
Weapons 10
Structure 9
Sensors 10
Communications 9

Command -
Conn -
Security +1
Engineering +1
Science +1
Medicine -

Scale 4
Resistance 6

Weapons:
Phaser Array (7 dice)
Photon Torpedoes (6 dice)

Talents:
Ablative Armor
Improved Impulse Drive
Improved Warp Drive

The USS Steamrunner specifically is a Technical Testbed, modifying her Departments to the following:
Command 1
Conn 2
Security 3
Engineering 4
Science 3
Medicine 2

>> No.55660047

>>55659696
I'm sorry you felt that you had to do that anon, few deserve the punishment of having to marathon Voyager.

>> No.55660061

>>55660011
Thanks anon! Now I can properly stat the ship that came to my player's rescue, rather than handwaving a bunch of tricobalt torpedoes hitting the enemy vessel.

>> No.55660131

>>55660061
Oh, hey, you want Tricobalt stats? I actually did those too, since I love the Steamrunner carrying tricobalts.

Tricobalt Torpedoes:
Base Damage Dice: 3 (remember to add scale and security)
Special Abilities: High Yield, Area, Vicious 2

>> No.55660655
File: 257 KB, 1381x1000, protecting-the-peace-arcass.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55660655

What are you guys using to balance the ship stats/make them appropriate? I assume guesswork but you never know...

>> No.55660738

>>55659747
I actually thought Cogenitor was one of Enterprise's better episodes. It does a much better job of showing the reasons for the Prime Directive than most episodes that are explicitly about it.

>> No.55660857

>>55660738
It's rated above average on IMDB and stood out as one of the few blatantly weird rankings the OP had on his Enterprise list (the other stand out being a positive review for Storm Front). That said, when I watch through Enterprise it's not one of the episodes I watch, though that may be because I'm mainly trying to beeline to season 3.

>> No.55660925

>>55660655
As the anon who posted them, I'll expand on my thought process, as requested.

Basically, the way I do it is I look at the comparable ships in the core book then examine what the ship is supposed to be/supposed to do. For example, the 2371 ships generally are between 9-10 in all systems, with a few powerful traits, always focused on whatever the ship is supposed to do. Because of this, I gave the Steamrunner 9-10 in everything, except Engines, where it gets an 11, as befits its role and fluff as a hyper-fast frigate. Accordingly, for its department increases, the 2371 ships have three points to spend, so the Steamrunner gets Security (it is primarily a warship), Engineering (it's all about the engines), and Science (wildcard choice and the nod to it still being a Starfleet ship).

I then give the ship a few appropriate Talents. The Steamrunner is noted in fluff as having Ablative Armor like the Defiant, so it gets that. Again, it has crazy powerful engines, both at sublight and warp speed, so it gets the Improved Drive talents. Boom, we're done.

>> No.55661030
File: 204 KB, 800x566, tumblr_nhuj8l0LIt1rzu2xzo2_1280.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55661030

>>55658035

>> No.55661070

>>55660738
>>55660857
I remember having a reason for shitting on Cogenitor when I was making the list. Something about Tucker bugging the shit out of me. For the life of me I can't remember what that was now. I'll probably update it to okay.

I did genuinely enjoy Stormfront though. Because I never knew that I needed a starship battling plasma-Stukas over New York until somebody made that fever dream of elements into a reality.

>> No.55661210

>>55661030
I was a little bit sick in my mouth when I saw that.

>> No.55661211

Incoming autism, medium-class.

Nekkid T'Pol got me thinking. What is the Vulcan view on casual sex, or sex with a loved one without the purpose of procreation outside of Pin Farr? Do they do it at all? I can't remember the circumstances of the episode pictured.

I ask because I can think of three (technically four) examples of human/Vulcan relationships, most of which were actually married, and obviously humans tend to require sex somewhat commonly in relationships to bond. I'm wondering if it's the same for Vulcans, or if that would be considered to emotionally driven and illogical by most Vulcans.

>> No.55661264

>>55661211
It is logical to accommodate the desires of the partner in the relationship should they aid in maintaining the relationship in a non-harmful manner.

>> No.55661416

>>55660738
>>55660857
>>55661070
>Cogenitor
Trip is my favorite of the major characters, but he made this episode unwatchable to me (I've never finished it). I normally appreciate his moral centeredness, especially as a foil to T'Pol and Phlox, but this episode he went full S1-TNG-tier self-assured in his moral correctness.
>Storm Front
Actually a decent episode of Trek, and all you have to do is get past the premise. Very TOS in the obvious ways, yet still retaining fully that ENT feel (for good and ill, but mostly good here). And it was a perfect end to the atrocious TCW: it basically never happened now (I'll take a minor paradox to put that storyline six feet under).

>> No.55661594

I don't suppose there are any on-going STA games (or ones that haven't started yet but may soon)? I'd even take a text-only game at this point. The only ones I've found so far are 7+ player clusterfucks on roll20

>> No.55661652

>>55661594
Sorry anon, I only run in-person.

>> No.55661670

>>55661594
Seconding this.

>> No.55661693
File: 113 KB, 500x1000, 1415285193907.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55661693

>>55661211
>context
For some reason Vulcan Neuropressure requires both parties to get nekkid. Trip couldn't sleep for various reasons, including grief and extreme stress (and I believe was also getting migraines, but I might be remembering that incorrectly). Obviously this leads to Trip falling for her, and even her for him because she's a bad Vulcan.
>What is the Vulcan view on casual sex, or sex with a loved one without the purpose of procreation outside of Pin Farr?
Casual sex is highly illogical. Vulcans still have all the same emotions, they just suppress them; this includes love, and presumably lust as well. Their unique breeding cycle might not induce them to have the constant horniness of most of the other species, so casual hookups for the sake of pleasure might be out inherently. And the short-term fling (less than a few months) leading to sex would also be out - the emotional control and repression would filter out the sort of feelings that lead to that behavior. Long-term could lead to stuff though, as we've seen.
Also, remember that Vulcans are huge prudes. They don't even like other species knowing about Pon Far, much less discussing their own sexuality with their friends. They are practical though, so taking care of business is OK, in extremity: choosing discomfort over life, limb, safety, health, etc. would be illogical, so just suck it up and get naked.

>> No.55661705

So STD E3, and the arc it's setting up for S1 as a whole, is a mix of body horror and Klingon war. Spocksis is back in uniform. No Mudd yet.

>> No.55661743

>>55661416
>but this episode he went full S1-TNG-tier self-assured in his moral correctness.

And in the end he gets browbeaten for how wrong he was.

>Storm Front
The main problem I had is the timing of it. Placing it right at the end of the Xindi arc against a crew that was physically and mentally exhausted was just too much. Right when they're supposed to be celebrating saving Earth and opening dialogue with the Xindi the TCW comes by and shits on the show again for two episodes. It doesn't help that I don't like TOS either.

>> No.55662241
File: 1.19 MB, 1920x1080, to_explore_by_killabc-dae1q64.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55662241

>>55661693
>For some reason Vulcan Neuropressure requires both parties to get nekkid

Probably Rick Berman's fault somehow. I mean it usually is.

>> No.55662461

>>55662241
>Ambassador saucer
>Excelsior nacelles
>Connie engineering hull
???????

>> No.55662501

>>55662461
Sure that isn't the engineering hull from an Ambassador?

>> No.55662586

Black Badges

>> No.55662680

>>55662586
Disgusting.

>> No.55662720

>>55662680
Black Alert

>> No.55662760

Should I play STO on Console (PS4) or PC?

/stog/ on /vg/ hasn't existed in forever, so I don't know what the pop numbers are.

>> No.55662769
File: 2.93 MB, 1280x720, moar.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55662769

kek more scenes like this please

>> No.55662770

>>55662760
Xbox one is pretty dead

>> No.55662778

>>55662501
It looks too small for that.

>> No.55662926

Tribble desk pet and a bow of fortune cookies

>> No.55662991

>>55662769
Aw Jesus.

>> No.55663027

>>55662769
That...is not visually appealing, in any way whatsoever. I'd ask for less of this, please.

>> No.55663038

>>55663027
You're not visually appealing.

>> No.55663046

>>55657985
>but it does feel like a season one episode
Not surprising, given the uniforms.

>> No.55663079

>>55663046
Bearded Riker in those uniforms = Season 2

>> No.55663100

>>55663038
That goes without saying. Don't know why you mention it here.

>> No.55663111

>>55663100
Because I'm mean.

>> No.55663143

Whatever happened to Klingon fans? Growing up in the 90s, they were the most iconic part of the Star Trek fandom, but I hardly ever hear anything about them anymore, even in these threads.

>> No.55663167

>>55663111
Hah, you're just 4chan "mean". You haven't said anything actually harmful, anon, and you shouldn't try to, it degrades you as much as them. Just go about your day and let others to theirs accordingly. Don't worry, I hate myself more than enough to make up for you not reminding me that I am a monster.

>> No.55663260

>>55663143
We got 17 seasons (TNG + DS9 4-7 + VOY) and four movies with Klingon bridge officers. Even the die hards burned out for a while.

>> No.55663395
File: 60 KB, 1040x585, 1431734788265-helmet.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55663395

>>55658035
I think the cover artist used the Sutton Hoo helmet or some other middle age helmet mask as a reference.

>> No.55663503

>>55662769
Fuck, that looks like it could be a scene out of an Aliens movies.

>> No.55663548

>>55663167
;^)

>> No.55663814

>>55663503
HAAAA. There's a scene about 2/3rds into the episode that literally could have been taken from an Alien movie. They're being stalked through a derelict ship by an unknown alien and a Klingon shows up long enough to shush them fearfully and get sucked into a dark doorway and ripped apart.

>> No.55663830

>>55663814

Klingon was a redshirt as well.

>> No.55663934

>>55663395
but the sutton hoo mask actually has an imposing face portrayed on it.

>> No.55664114

>>55662769
...okay, guys, I've got a theory.

What if

And follow me on this one

What if STD is an attempt to create a perpetual motion machine using RODDENBERRY'S SPINNING CORPSE IN HIS GRAVE?!

Seriously, who sat through any episode of Star Trek and came to the conclusion, "what this franchise really needs is to see a corpse spin on by a shuttle pod window through the vacuum of space."

Are we sure Orville is the parody and Discovery is the actual series?

>> No.55664442

>Don't let any of that canon stuff bother you too much

>> No.55664589

>>55650023
She's just so goddamned adorable.

I love how Orville combat uses out of plane maneuvers and inertia-less movement. Almost makes me want to install SoTS2 again. God that game was disappointing on so many levels.

>> No.55664828

So, say I want to write a series of optimistic future scifi serials about a starship crew on the edge of space, how do I come up with ideas for stories?

>> No.55665386

>>55664828
>come up with some characters
>put them in a space ship
>throw random stuff at them
>see what happens
There you go. That's basically Trek for you.

>> No.55665649

>>55649855
3 was such a bizarre episode. It seemed like they were doing the "applying human standards to alien civilizations that are biologically and culturally massively different to humanity is retarded" but then plays the human chauvinist position it completely straight as if it is unambiguously the morally correct position and every single human agrees with that position.

Apparently the message of that episode is that it is immoral for an alien civilization to correct massive birth defects if that defect would be considered normal in some totally unrelated species?

What the fuck was that all about?

>> No.55665816

>>55649828
I thought 1 and 4 were the best episodes of The Orville. 1 was the funniest, while 4 is the best on the drama end. 3 was my least favorite.

>>55649919
Critics tend to be bad when it comes to science fiction, and a lot of the complaints seemed to hinge on the inconsistent tone, meaning they want it to be either a comedy or drama. So it seems like they don't get what it's trying to be, or don't approve of it if they do. And hey, I can understand how somebody could fail to be wowed by the show, but it certainly deserves a lot higher than the 20% amalgam it has on Rotten Tomatoes.

>>55649836
I don't give a shit either way, as long as STD doesn't get clumsily preachy, and I've seen no signs that will be the case. I've got issues and concerns with the show, but this isn't one of them.

>> No.55665855

>>55665649
Yeah, 3 bugged me a fair bit. The premise was interesting but they failed to really approach it in a thoughtful manner. As you say, they applied a human attitude to a race where... well I'm confused how a race where effectively anyone can get knocked up by anyone could even have a concept of male or female. And I think that a better way to explore the Moklan's stance and whether it was right or wrong would have been to look at how females even fit into their evolutionary framework.

I wish that conversation between the captain and xo where he asks if they're doing the right thing had been expanded on. Maybe some recriminations between the 2 of them about how they don't get it.

>> No.55665902

>>55662769
I'm actually heartened after watching episode 3. I don't know how Star Treky the show is--it's shaping up to be closer to Fringe in space, or something--but it seems like it could end up being pretty decent if we can get past that fact. There were some definite issues I had with the first two episodes (the dramatic stupidity of the mutiny being foremost), but I'm hoping we're moving away from that. I have no illusions that we won't have more over-the-top shit that stretches credibility for the same of drama, but hopefully it won't be as extreme or pivotal. Maybe it helps that I went into STD with low expectations, but it's turning out better than I expected. Not stellar, but not terrible, and as others have pointed out, Star Trek shows have often had weak beginnings. So I'm hopeful that it will at least be worth watching, and maybe even significantly better than that.

>> No.55665937

>>55654924

My only real issue is that I feel they should have been a bit more fluid on which skill + stat works for a given scenario. Like the space combat gives skill + stat and I feel like listing skill alone (And the PC working out which stat is most applicable for HOW they are doing it) would have been better.

>> No.55665958

>>55665855
The Moklans appear to reproduce sexually with a single sex and the "males" even lay eggs. So functionally they're not really male at all, what function would a "female" even have in that reproductive cylce? Apparently none since they're incredibly rare and all corrected sufficiently perfectly that they're indistinguishable from "males" in both appearance and function.

It's equivalent to a human being born intersex in a world where they can be perfectly corrected to being a functional member of either sex, and some aliens moralizing about how that's wrong because for them them, and other alien species having an infertile third sex is completely normal.

It's completely nonsensical and the doctor really should have been the voice of reason, explaining that aliens have different biology to humans and it should have been about overcoming unreasonable preconceptions about alien societies that we might hold due to our own biology.

Instead it was all of the humans having an irrational emotional reaction about something, everyone unanimously agreeing that emotional reaction is a good basis for how aliens should behave and that's it. That's the whole thing. "Your civilization is wrong because human biology = moral truth"

It's like the episode was written by an actual, honest to god racist.

>> No.55665984

>>55665649

>Apparently the message of that episode is that it is immoral for an alien civilization to correct massive birth defects if that defect would be considered normal in some totally unrelated species?

I did like that they didn't portray the father arguing for it as a villain.

>> No.55665988

>>55663814
It seems like one of the biggest requirements to enjoying the show may be the ability to ignore the fact that it's supposed to be Star Trek.

>> No.55666480

>>55665988
It seems that way, but jesus it's difficult to do.

>> No.55666625
File: 1.38 MB, 1920x1080, Screenshot (510).png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55666625

So the new Captain has a Tribble on his desk as a pet. Is this a cute reference or lore breaking tomfoolery? You decide!

>> No.55666744

>>55666625
Could be a sterile Tribble, like how pet skunks have the gland that produces their stink removed.

>> No.55666790

>>55666744
desu I would love a sterile Tribble as a pet irl. They would be great.

>> No.55666956

>>55653386
I'm pretty sure you can only get the Constellation through the store

>> No.55667087

>>55666956
Aye, but you can grind dilithium and then transfer it into zen the next time a phoenix pack weekend comes up.

>> No.55667102
File: 349 KB, 303x318, 1502029282865.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55667102

>>55659761
>EP 01-02 Emissary
>Quality Good
That's a red flag right out the gate

>> No.55667134

>>55667102
Emissary is the best pilot of any Trek show.

>> No.55667144
File: 60 KB, 639x509, commandcruiser_lexington.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55667144

>>55662461
>>55662501
>>55662778

Lexington class command cruiser, as seen in Klingon Academy.

>> No.55667221

>>55667134
That doesn't make it good at all

>> No.55667223

>>55667221
It is good though.

>> No.55667232

>>55667223
No it's not

>> No.55667247

>>55667102
The Emissary two parter was about the best start any Star Trek show has so far had. It introduced all the characters, established the situation well and leaves the viewer wanting more of that. Unfortunatly following episodes don't really live up to the introduction.

>> No.55667256
File: 119 KB, 700x530, 1506402392515.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55667256

>>55667134
Actually it's the second worse pilot. TOS > VOY > ENT > DS9 > TNG

I mean fucking boring ass beach episode amirite!?

>> No.55667262

>>55665984
>>55665958

I like that they were called out their hypocrisy and crap arguments. And that they lost. Because that was still a gutpunch end.

I'm pretty sure the actual message of that episode though was 'shit's complex', because there was decent arguing from both sides and bad arguments deliberately mixed in.

If it was TNG, I don't think they would have done that. The villains would have less of a point. DS9 would have though. Voyager would have just not bothered because Rick Berman is a fucking coward.

>> No.55667265

>>55667247
Doesn't make it good viewing. I'd say it's just as disappointing as it's follow up

>> No.55667293
File: 27 KB, 405x404, 1505889863956.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55667293

>>55667256
I've seen all of them and I don't remember ENT's pilot.

Voyager had the best pilot.

>> No.55667297

>>55667247
I'd argue The Cage is still good. Emissary needs editing down a chunk, maybe about 60-70 minutes rather than the full 90. The core story though is much more solid and intelligent than TNG's or Voyagers pilot, but it takes too long to go anywhere.

Though obviously not as long as the 50%+ padding TNG pilot.

>> No.55667331

>>55667247
This is complete bullshit. It certainly does not leave the viewer wanting more visions of his dead wife on the beach cul-de-sac just because the wormhole aliens are THAT kind of omnipotent. Seriously I was rolling my eyes. Luckily it didn't go full Encounter at Farpoint but it seriously could have done a lot better

>> No.55667347
File: 45 KB, 960x540, 55772bc05334d65a73fcfa063ef8070a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55667347

>>55667087
And that is something NOBODY is going to do. Not for this thing

>> No.55667385

>>55659775
Wait a minute
>ENCOUNTER AT FARPOINT
>OKAY
Son your opinion just isn't that good. You're pretty out of touch

>> No.55667394

>>55667347
If STO released a carrier version I'd buy it. With Zen converted from dil earned through free play and not through actual money, but I'd still get it.

>> No.55667410
File: 94 KB, 886x474, USS_Stargazer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55667410

>>55667394
>Wanting the USS Pizza Delivery
This is embarrassing

>> No.55667419

>>55667144
Oh, I see, it's an Excelsior saucer.

>> No.55667493

>>55667385
like I said before, I made the Voyager and Enterprise ones. Pretty sure some group made the other ones a couple years ago by consensus.
I don't agree with everything on the other ones, but I'd actually agree on Farpoint. I we take "okay" to mean that it's a decent episode but you wouldn't go back to watch it again then I think that's a fair assessment of the episodes.
Like it's not a bad 2-parter but it's far from the best that TNG had to offer.

>> No.55667527

>>55667493
Are you serious? It's THE bad two parter. It's the one that gets used as an example of how not to do a two parter.

When your episode is used in university courses as an example of how not to start a show, you can't argue that it's "decent"

>> No.55667575

>>55667297
The Cage is fine, no complaints from me. VOY was action and crisis, which worked given the premise (although I fucking hate the Kazon). DS9 was fine plot-wise but a bit sluggish at parts. ENT was comfy but lackluster and TNGs was of course one episode stretched into two so go figure.

>> No.55667597

>>55667527
It didn't really bother me. Not like some other stinkers out there. Far from the worst Episodes in S1, even. Like, I'm sure it's terrible from an academic point of view, but I don't look back on it with much more than indifference. Whereas Code of Honor and Angel One cause me groan internally whenever I remember that they exist.

>> No.55667605

>>55662769
Are they at warp?

>> No.55667620

>>55667605
They're travelling through a bullshit-class nebula

>> No.55667628

>>55667597
I mean personally I don't like it when the writers decide to split an episode into two just so they have an alibi for carrying out their date-rape

>> No.55667632

>>55667620
Okay. It looked like blue warp cloudy things going slowly. I'm glad it's not at warp

>> No.55667640
File: 491 KB, 923x486, tilly.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55667640

>Forced to live alone just because of snoring

I'd sleep with her

>> No.55667661

>>55667628
Dude it's not the date rape episode. I mean it's boring as fuck but it's not THAT episode

>> No.55667690

>>55667632
I wish they were in warp, then we could watch demons eating their souls.

>> No.55667692

>>55667597
Were you baked when watching it or are you just a really boring person? Because from an entertainment point of view it's the worst pilot out there and one of the worst pair of episodes in the whole of Star Trek. TNG starts bad straight out the gate

>> No.55667711

>>55667640
You'd think the 23rd post scarcity earth would be post spots. I mean you're not post scarcity if your cosmetic creams and treatments are off the table

>> No.55667729

>>55667661
It's been awhile since I read the pasta, but I could have sworn it was the TNG pilot

>> No.55667741

>>55667628
>>55667661
>>55667729
Context?

>> No.55667766

>>55667640
>DIS uniforms force you to look at their tits to figure out their rank and department

>> No.55667793

>>55667692
Yeah, it's boring in spots. Hence my initial statement. I wouldn't watch it again. But it's really just mediocre compared to some of the steaming piles of shit that TNG served up. I'd certainly rather sit through Farpoint than Time's Arrow. Or a good portion of the episodes of season 1 for that matter.

>> No.55667795

>>55667741
They're talking about this pasta someone made where this guy watches TNG with a girl and she falls asleep so he rapes her. Apparently it was all according to plan

It's a shit pasta

>> No.55667805

>>55667793
Damn you are boring. Son it IS the steaming pile of shit in season one

>> No.55667826

>>55667741
A copypasta about how boring the pilot for TNG is. The dude uses the episodes in place of a Date-rape drug because it's so boring. It's fucking cringy but it gets the point across

>> No.55667881

>>55667805
>Code of Honor
>The Naked Now
>Justice
>Angel One
>Too Short a Season
Yeah, okay buddy.

>> No.55667883

>>55667793
>>55667805
I too think it's a bad couple of episodes, certainly the worse of the pilots. But I think it gets such a bad rap because they're the first episodes so they're the ones people first watch. Since it's so disappointing it leaves a bad taste, where as many of the other season 1 episodes people probably skip. Encounter at Farpoint however always gets watched so always gets remembered.

It's bad. But it sticks out so much because it's the first.

>> No.55667891

>>55667881
You forgot
>Encounter at Farpoint 1 & 2

>> No.55667930

>>55667640
>Cadet
>gets a room to herself
I see your game, Tilly.

>> No.55667931

>>55667826
No I swear its about code of honor. I makes a thing out of the black guy raping the white girl

>> No.55667973

>>55667931
The original is about the pilot. That one was a redone version because I assume /pol/ it flipped the words around and make it about race while watching the race episode. There's more than one too, a couple of the season one episodes have versions of the pasta, but the original was definitely about the pilot

>> No.55667974
File: 300 KB, 832x971, Crewman Murrays new post.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55667974

>>55667930
Didn't know they had captains woman in prime universe as well.

>> No.55667988

>>55667974
Part of me is still worried that they're going to reveal that Lorca is from the Mirror Universe, so that could actually be a thing.

>> No.55668013

Guys I liked Code of Honour. It wasn't amazing or anything but I liked how at the end the natives declare how they're superior to Picard because they fell in line. Picard's face and the music just being all like "I ain't doing shit, time to get the fuck outta here" makes me laugh every time. It was a good end to the episode that leaves it feeling better than it actually was. Plus seeing as how the previous 3 episodes were shit too it has a special place in my heart as the first scene in TNG to make me laugh

>> No.55668050

>>55667988
I'm guessing the Mirror Universe is "too silly" for Star Trek now, which is to say the showrunner's are embrrassed by/don't understand/don't care about the show or franchise and would really rather it be an action-heavy Battlestar of Thrones-type thing.

>> No.55668082

>>55668013
The last time I was skimming through season 1 episodes that particular one made me start to think about ways to re-write a lot of the worse ones. It could have been made to work better I'm sure.

>> No.55668103

>>55668050
They already confirmed a Mirror Universe episode, its the one Frakes is directed.

>> No.55668140

>>55668082
So could every single episode. What's your point? Should I not find it funny or something?

>> No.55668146

I never liked Mudd

>> No.55668169
File: 295 KB, 899x1199, 1506015975332.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55668169

Guys vote in my poll please

http://www.strawpoll.me/14055745

>> No.55668192

>>55667930
>Cadet
>Has access to super secret room where they break every rule in the book.

Huh.

>> No.55668220

Finally saw Discovery last night.

The Klingons were done as bad or worse than I'd worried about, though the scene where their leader was addressing the Federation fleet after the battle seemed to work.

If all the hints given about the ship being run by Section 31 through the episode wasn't enough that ending most certainly was.

I feel like the entire sequence aboard the USS Glenn could have had a laugh track added to it.

The new FTL system reminds me heavily of the Ionians. If they ever get it working properly that'll need a plot device to keep it from seeing wide scale adoption and changing the timeline. Maybe a trap the Iconians left behind to sabotage people seeking similar tech?
Locked away in the starfleet secret vault?

Overall it was alright as a sci-fi show but not a great fit as a Star Trek show.

>> No.55668281

>>55667988
I thought the glass booth in engineering was a Mirror torture booth when I first saw it.

>> No.55668498

>>55668220

They will figure it out.
Then Harry Mudd shows up and conns them out of it again.

>> No.55668525

So between yesterday and today I marathoned the Orville.

Thoughts:

S1E1: Definitely has some teething issues and leans heavily on the fact that it's a comedy. Having said that, the jokes generally landed, and it was a good first outing. I wish we knew more about the Kril, but that's because I'm a worldbuilder at heart.

S1E2: Oh my God Alara is adorable. Also had some awkward moments brought on by the jokes, but overall it definitely had a TOS feel to it - high praise from me.

S1E3: ...this is Star Trek. Like, this is a Star Trek episode from beginning to end, just with a few more jokes. Notably the jokes were definitely toned down compared to the previous two episodes, though. This could have been pulled straight from an episode of TNG.

S1E4: Hey, there was a Doctor Who episode about this recently, sort of, though Doctor Who's and Orville's production schedules means that this is just a coincidence. I also appreciate that they didn't really hold back all that much on showing Grayson getting the crap beaten out of her - normally TV shows and movies and so on avoid showing women getting beat up to the same degree as men, "beauty is never tarnished" and all that. Anyway, good episode.

...I have not yet watched Discovery. Have I made a mistake in watching Orville first?

>> No.55668583

>>55668525
>Have I made a mistake in watching Orville first?
Yes. It's better than STD is.

>> No.55668679

Has anybody saved all the stuff we've done on the USS Sparrow?

>> No.55668753

>>55668679
I didn't, but it's only a few threads old so it shouldn't be hard to go back and collect everything.

>> No.55668816

>>55668753
I'll get started on that, so.

>> No.55668861

You know, though it's not traditional I don't actually mind phasers firing bolts sometimes rather then just straight beams.
It could actually be used as a useful narrative device to show different settings on a phaser; bolts for stun or lethal (because they can be fired faster and thus are more useful in combat situations), but concentrated beams for more powerful shots that need to destroy objects or disintegrate stuff.

>> No.55669160

>>55666956
Everything in the store can be had for playing the game. Like I said, it takes a huge amount of time, but is doable.

>> No.55669326

>>55667102
This.

>>55667134
>Emissary is the best pilot of any Trek show.
It really isn't. And even if it were, that doesn't make it good.

>> No.55669327
File: 1.29 MB, 1600x1200, march_to_elizabethtown_by_davemetlesits-d2ze255.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55669327

>>55668525
>Have I made a mistake in watching Orville first?

No, because there's not much point in watching Discovery unless you enjoy aggravation and disappointment.

>> No.55669379

>>55669327
...I really hate single-nacelled ships...

>> No.55669480
File: 138 KB, 1024x768, predator_01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55669480

>>55669379
I'm sorry for your loss.

>> No.55669545

I Just watched the 3rd episode of Discovery.

What is this sinister bullshit that's going on? I swear this is going the "Technological progress is scary" route. Fucking scientist are getting conscripted. What the fuck.

>> No.55669674
File: 2.91 MB, 1280x720, 1506954598476.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55669674

> away team stumbles into Doom
> meet remnants of Klingon boarding party
> they have to team up for survival
> somehow learn the true meaning of friendship and honour
> get some mutual respect for each other
> this builds the bridge towards an uneasy cease fire

Instead we get webm related

>> No.55669777
File: 101 KB, 1280x720, 1506395514487.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
55669777

>>55662769
>Pilot dies
>COS & I assume the Tactical Officer too doesn't even mention the loss.
>Shuttle leaves without the pilot it came in on

But hey, y'know what Star Trek was missing?
>Jump-scares

>> No.55669943

>>55669545
I think it's more like "look at how the military perverts science", which falls even flatter since Starfleet characters have announced straight to camera a thousand fucking times that they AREN'T A MILITARY.
>>55669674
That would have been the TNG or DS9 episode for sure.

>> No.55670008

Thread is in autosage. Move to new thread:

>>55670001
>>55670001
>>55670001
>>55670001

>> No.55670106

>>55669674
What's amusing about needing a cease fire is that I'm fairly certain that the Federation and the Klingon Empire never ACTUALLY went to war. It was an obvious that it was a Cold War analogy, and thus while individual conflicts might have flared up no war ever officially happened.
Hell, they even made a Berlin Wall/USSR breaking apart TOS movie literally the YEAR the USSR fell apart just to drive the point home.

The Federation only went through one full-scale war in it's entire history so far.

>> No.55670330

>>55670106
>The Federation only went through one full-scale war in it's entire history so far.
lolwut? We have multiple confirmed on camera:=, such as the Earth-Romulan war and the Cardassian War pre-dating the Dominion War. Also, the Federation had a sustained armed conflict with the Tzenkethi at one point, which probably counts as a war.

In fact, if you actually go check Memory Alpha, you find out that the Federation has fought a number of serious wars, including against the Klingons *twice* (not counting Discovery, which may end up being a third time). In TOS, they briefly engaged in open warfare until the Organians shut that shit down. In DS9, they engaged in open warfare for over a year with the Klingons over the Chintoka system.

Basically, your "the federation only fought one war" thing is fucking moronic. The Federation has fought plenty of times. It has also been referenced that the Federation handles a wide number of border skirmishes and brush conflicts pretty frequently.

>> No.55671335

>>55670330
There's also the Sheliak Conflict and ongoing issues with the Talarians.

>> No.55672510

>>55667988
>>55668050
They already confirmed there's a Mirror Universe episode.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action