Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 211 KB, 446x374, intense crossing.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
42337626 No.42337626 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

>it's a sandbox setting
>entire party gets comfortable way too quickly and have no reason or motivation to adventure
What can I do as a DM?
What can I do as a player?

>> No.42337655

>>42337626
Find out what kind of adventures your players want to go on, then start putting them out there.

>> No.42337666

>>42337626
>Players get comfortable with all their cool shit
>Have someone attack or steal their cool shit

Players love their shit. Mess with their shit and they'll be chomping at the bit to kill whoever touched it last.

>> No.42337707
File: 42 KB, 470x375, 1429196619704.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>have no reason or motivation to adventure

Give them a reason. Or motivation.
What part of this did you not know?

>> No.42338325

>>42337626
seems quite straightforward dude, make strong personalities of the world (key-npcs) whose needs/wants/dreams cross those of the PCs and their actions influence, block or destroy -directly or indirectly- the player's "sandcastles"

you can also think your world in a social group level and derive some events that will mess with your player's actions (e.g. your players got a pirate ship -> piracy increased lately, some kind of naval military force is taking actions against all pirates)

>> No.42338454
File: 43 KB, 214x329, image:310503.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>42337707
How about providing good motivations, instead of being a grump?

Like, telling them about a short, quick little hunt (silver-furred owlbear or something similarly weak but rare sounding) with a potentially huge reward, but the tiny little quest quickly spirals into a huge adventure as various factions with an interest in the pelt scheme to get it without paying?

Some of the greatest adventures started over things as simple as funnily-colored animal skins.

>> No.42338620

>>42337666
>wow thatDM, could you railroad any harder?

You just know some faggot would respond like that these days.

>> No.42338774
File: 110 KB, 254x416, 1373739297866.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Anytips for if you're just a player?

>> No.42338810

>>42337626

OK here's what I suggest:

>roll a random encounter for the area immediately around where the players are
>you'll get giant vultures killing peasants, orc raiders hitting caravans, wererat epidemic in the slums, something like that
>whatever you get, that's the basis for a new story
>do the rolls with the players there (screen or not, doesn't matter) and explain that you're generating events for the surrounding area
>have the PCs learn about this
>there might be posters/town criers offering rewards for solving the situation, or a local person gives them rumours, whatever
>if the players ignore this then have the situation escalate until it's on their doorstep
>if they cry 'railroad' then point out that they watched you roll randomly and you're just extrapolating logically from those first events

Oh and I'm not saying the threat has to be as simple as just orc raiders or whatever. You can add more interesting things, with bigger forces at play behind the scenes or what have you.

>> No.42338882

>>42338774
think what your character's goals are, find ways to achieve those goals, interact as much as you can with the world. sandbox is to go off-rails and experience the world and all its ambience

>> No.42338883

>>42337626

Sandbox is tricky and something you should only do with players you're very confident of.

That said, the FEELING of a sandbox is something you should always try to emulate. A good GM is railroading quite a bit, but in such a way that they don't see the rails; a big part of that is reacting and adapting naturally, which lends the sandbox image of the organic, reactive world.

I find a good way to motivate players in a sandbox environment is to drop a nuclear bomb in their lap. By this I mean that in the introductory session, they come into the possession of an object whose proximity places them in peril. This might be a powerful magical artifact or a young child of extinct royal blood. While they're coping and managing the fallout that this object naturally brings, other factions are also making moves around them.

>> No.42338922

>>42338774
Figure out what motivates you, and then pursue it. It can be as simple as "I want a castle" or "I want a dragonskin belt", to something as complex as "My grandfather was an evil man that started a cult that ruined countless lives, and I've taken it upon myself to not only stamp out the remnants of this cult, but to find my evil cousins and reform them."

It's not easy to get people to join your cause with any real conviction, but usually, if no one has a better idea, they'll just end up following your lead until some part of the adventure strikes a cord with them.

Having pretty cousins doesn't hurt.

>> No.42339096

>>42338774

Jump on any hook the DM dangles your way. He's doing you a favour so keep up your end too.

If he just drops you in the game world and says "well have fun kids!" then go search out trouble. Lots of ways to find it: ask the local militia what bandits or monsters are nearby, or hit the library to find locations of ancient ruins, or let it be known around town that you're mercenaries looking for blood and fortune.

>> No.42340618

If your players really honestly can't think of anything they'd like to do in your sandbox campaign, you have successfully crafted an extremely boring setting and you need to shake it up.

Set fire to their hometown, have a continent explode, depose a king or two, shatter an empire, have a dragon move in, implicate them in high treason, have the sun crash into the ground- something, anything to get things moving because your game certainly isn't going to.

>> No.42342417
File: 242 KB, 1280x720, 139777359028243.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

Take away and destroy everything that they hold dear.

>> No.42342867

>>42342417
>>42340618
This. They get comfy with your setting, it means they're now attached to it. Maybe get them to invest emotionally in a certain place/village.

Then threaten that. Huge civil war brewing, village is in the crossfire. Or magical happenings suddenly rising around the area, find out village is built on a resurging leyline.

>> No.42343234

Where did they get the money to stay comfy?

Sounds like you did a bad job.

>> No.42344837

>>42337626
Man, I wish I could play a one on one sandbox campaign. I think I could blow the socks off a DM.

>> No.42344894

>>42337626
Offer them stuff, destroy their stuff, steal their stuff, force them into a confrontation, force them into an adventure.

>> No.42344927

>>42338774
Chose a goal and start marching towards it.
Make it a goal that involves going out of your way, and the GM can easily involve different groups and events in.

Like creating an expedition, or seizing control of an organization.

Just make sure it's something the entire group can get behind.

>> No.42345356

>>42338454
I'm literally doing that right now.

One PC is a feudal lord who owes taxes but just blew it all on a trade invenstment. Tax collector is a rich noble who loooves hunting and offered to foot the bill if the PCs take him hunting for a giant, white-furred bear rumoured to be in the area.

BUT, the bear is sentient and has knowledge of a supernatural artefact another PC recently got (in a low-magic setting). And other forces are coming after the bear, and other other forces are following the party to see what they're up to and if there'll be a chance to off the PCs.

And they're gonna think they're just going on a bear-hunt.

>> No.42345382

>>42344837
Me and my best friend did that once. It was a ton of fun.

If you were to do something like that, what system would you wanna do it in anyhow? If you can ask the DM for one.

>> No.42345460

>>42338883
This. My first DM was a master at giving us agency, yet guiding us to where we needed to go. It helped that we were all friends for over two years and he knew how we all thought.
But seriously, he just came up with plan A through 25, and let us do what the fuck ever because he was already prepared for it.

>> No.42345474

>>42345382
Honestly, if it's a one on one, I wouldn't give much of a shit as long as it wasn't something wacky like Exalted/Fiasco/Friend Computer Fun Times.

If I had to choose one I'd probably put my balls on the line and ask for AD&D, starting level 1 rogue.

In a one on one RP I'm solidly certain I could keep combat from happening for the vast majority of real world time, so the mechanics wouldn't matter much.

>> No.42345578

>>42345474
That would be interesting, for sure. Wish I was familiar with AD&D though XD

>> No.42345657
File: 69 KB, 958x330, 1stLevelMU.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>42345474

One wizard.
Three HP.
Castle Greyhawk.

Final Destination: one xp away from level 3!

>> No.42345714

>>42345578
I literally just said I didn't care about the mechanics.

Don't cock tease me like this.

>> No.42345746

If your players are comfortable, put them in an uncomfortable situation.
Give the players some simple reason to leave.
When they return their home has burned to the ground, been swallowed up by the earth, been overrun with the undead, been swept away by a tidal wave, pissed off a god, pissed off a tribe of orcs, pissed off a wizard, had a meteor dropped on it, or whatever fits your setting.
Use Murphy's Law.

>> No.42347495

>>42345714
Drop some contact info we can do this.

That said, I hope your still around. I kinda got sucked into something so if you're gone i'll be sad :(

>> No.42347896

Don't play a sandbox or let them roleplay out their comfy lives. Maybe throw some criminals at them wrecking their shit occasionally so your martials/combat focussed characters have something cool to do. Maybe all they wanted was a quirky slice of life game after all.

>> No.42348316
File: 727 KB, 646x814, 1435632572688.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

I'm currently running a sandbox game. The players were given the ruins of a castle, a shitstain of a village (with no peasants in it) and a considerable amount of land. No serfs, no servants, no soldiers, no silver , no income.

Now they're trying to solve all of... the things they do not have, realized that they need silver to do so, and they can't get silver without work/contacts, and they can't get that without getting to know the other lords, wizards and people who live in the same area as them.

There are also plot hooks within all of this, clues about their castle's history, alliances to be made, enemies to make, peasants to steal, bandits who target trade caravans transporting magical items only, druids who doesn't like that "their" mountain is getting crowded.

I can't forsee them ever really getting done with everything they want and need to do, there will be opportunity costs. I don't think they expect to finish everything either, and are trying to prioritize as best as possible.

tl;dr give your players shit to do, and dont give them the possibility to become too relaxed and comfortable. Either that, or make them make characters that actually has a reason to go out adventuring.

>> No.42349043

>>42345356
That's uncanny as hell.

>> No.42349432

>>42337626
Railroad.

Sandbox games never work out in the end. They either stop being a sandbox very quickly, or they stall out because of a lack of direction.

>> No.42349683

>>42347495
dien.zora on skype

>> No.42350483
File: 51 KB, 651x794, campaign Mastercraft.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>42337626

>> No.42351812

>>42338620
>these days

>damn entitled millienials, rah rah
fuck off gramps

>> No.42353087

The thing with a sandbox type campaign is that it's not about "Do whatever you want" because that rather quickly becomes "I have no idea what to do at all"

A sandbox campaign has a necessity and it's a Goal, to take revenge on some devious villain for messing with your shit or perhaps to find yourself a fancy maiden or something. But primarily the benefit of a sandbox campaign is that you can have Any goal you like. But you do need one. So make a goal, however stupid it is and just run with it until you find a better goal for yourself and then run with that.

As a DM present your players with the possibility of clear and concise goals, does player x like fancy weapons and his character bases of stuff? dangle the possibility of immediate and long term goals that will give him that, I bet you that the goal will eventually change but hey! cool character progress is had.

Running a sandbox is knowing what your player wants and being able to present them the possibility of having Any goal you can possible throw them, even if that goal can never be achieved it's going to get them somewhere. And if perhaps they just sit on their asses anyways no matter how much you dangle your carrot then well...Fuck em.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action