Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 387 KB, 777x1143, 1424908810692.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
41806563 No.41806563 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

How do you deal experience? Is it earned per-PC, or shared by the whole party?

>> No.41806582

Whole party. Per person only works if XP costs or permanent level drain are a thing, both of which I never included in my games even when I played 3rd edition.

>> No.41806599

Certain number given to all characters that roleplay during the session.

I am not manually spending xp for any of my 40k rpg players.

>> No.41806605

>>41806582
>everything is dnd

>> No.41806624

>>41806563
Why is that elf woman wearing no pants?

>> No.41806640

>>41806582
So if one PC does something while the others sit around jerking off, everyone gets XP?

>> No.41806641

>>41806624
>implying it's a female elf

>> No.41806673

>>41806640
Yes. Largely because rewarding experience for taking the spotlight is like double-punishing the rest of the group.

Also, XP shouldn't be a "bribe" to get people to pay attention, or really a bribe to do anything else. Giving XP to only the players who were part of something is a passive aggressive method of ignoring the main problem.

>> No.41806679

>>41806605
>How do you deal experience?
>everything is dnd
are you retarded or something?

>> No.41806686

>>41806563
Depends on the game, man. In Exalted 3e or AD&D 2E it's individual. In Pathfinder or D&D 4e it's group.

>> No.41806687

Split among the party with bonus xp granted at the completion of a quest so people aren't stuck at level whatever for forever.

If some people are behind I reward them bonus xp for doing rp shiz and try to put them in positions that allows them to catch up with the other characters.

>> No.41806724

>>41806563
In WoD I give three for attendance then have a check list with mods ranging from -3 to +3 to adjust what I award per session. Most of these are based on roleplaying and moving the plot forward or backwards but things like "That was cool" and "Brought the game to a screeching halt to bitch OOC." are also on the board.

I hand this out at the end of the story so people are getting thirty and forty XP at a time.

>> No.41806765

>>41806679
Not him but while I wouldn't nitpick you act like that's a controversial statement. Plenty of games give out XP, whatever they call it, and don't do levels or anything like that. IN shadowrun for example it's a point buy system, but some archtypes need a shit ton more XP then others. Distrubting it evenly there will mean your street sam has maxed out dice pools while your mage is still saving up for his first initiation.

>> No.41806790

in my homebrew exp is unexistant an character progression depends on the number of sessions a player has been in

Every session is like 1 level (because exp levels o not give many benefits, character power depends more of his equipment than his lv) and starting lv 7 it requires one extra (2 sessions for lv 8, three more for lv 9, etc.)

In theory, this should be awarded only if the the character has preformed well during the session (objetively, if the character has used the habilities he is proficient with) but I've yet to see someone playing badly.

Some long or difficult sessions award more than one lv (and for weak characters this means that they can get a lv up mid session)

>> No.41806798

>>41806790

That sounds incredibly oversimplified and stupid. Even for a homebrew system.

>> No.41806802
File: 154 KB, 636x500, behold_a_satan.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>41806563
Depends. In my current party I don't count experience and just have everyone level up every story arc. If my players prefer more crunch I tell them the total XP value of the encounters that session and have them divide it evenly amongst themselves, with extra rewards for doing shit I want to see, like having their character flaws actually hinder the party rather than just be shallowly acted out for inspiration.

Also, OP's pic reminds me of this

>> No.41806804

>>41806798

Sorry, overcomplicated, not oversimplified. Damn phone. ...

Seriously. Your system could take a few pointers from D&D Next.

>> No.41806814

>>41806804
Or any game that was not derived from an mmo.

>> No.41806823

>>41806814
I dunno. Sounds like it's working for them.

>> No.41806824

>>41806802

So you add up XP incase the players want to know what it is, but don't actually use it otherwise?

That sounds completely retarded.

Just hand out one tenth XP needed to level each session. Every ten sessions, you level. This equals level twenty after s bout our years of weekly sessions.

>> No.41806834

>>41806823
It sounds like those dumb highschool/college classes that you could pass by showing up and acting like you were busy.

>> No.41806840

>>41806798
you are not wrong, it is simple. It started as a placeholder to add later a proper exp system but then we realized that it wasn't broken and thus it didn't need to be changed
I'm not fucking around, as stupid as it sounds, that system works really well, I'll tell you what awards a lv up and why it doesn't matter:

A character starts with 25hp+ a bonus based on class (a mage, for example would be 3+d3, a cleric is a 6+d6 and a barbarian is a 13+d12) and four points divided among 7 stats. A level up gives the character an additional point and bonus hp.

A lv 1 mage has, for example, 30hp and 4 total points and a lv 5 has 50hp and 8 total points, considering the purpose of stats is that an additional point gives a +5 on d100 rolls that's not much

>> No.41806853

>>41806824
In my current campaign, no, I don't add up XP at all. In other campaigns I have.

Why the fuck would you decide to level the party up after every X sessions but then try to work out the math for the XP instead of just leveling them up every X sessions?

>> No.41806860

We tend to just level up every time a major quest is finished.

>> No.41806901

>>41806853

Because it's not that much math, and allows XP to be earned at a steady rate, rather than whenever the GM feels like blowing his load.

>> No.41806904

>>41806834
I don't understand what you mean by that

>> No.41806916

>>41806804
>overcomplicated
1 session=1 more level, I don't understand how can you say that's complicated

>> No.41806978

>>41806563

The whole party amasses a running total of experience points earned for monsters slain during a game session. This is usually a very small number when all is said and done. Low-level monsters are worth tens of XP. Mid-level monsters might be worth hundreds. Only really powerful monsters have an XP value that pushes up into the thousands.

The party also earns 1 XP for every 1 GP worth of non-magical treasure that they actually pull out of the dungeon and get to town. This is the bulk of all XP earned during a typical adventure. Players should be getting only a tenth of their XP from monsters, if they've been playing smart; maybe as much as a fifth from monsters if they've been picking fights left and right like reckless dumbasses. The rest comes from finding treasure.

All of the XP earned from monsters and treasure is added up and divided among the -surviving- characters, at the end of the game-session only. (Anyone who died during the adventure but didn't get rez'd that same game doesn't get any XP for the session.) Player characters and any NPC allies who aren't followers get a full share of the XP; henchmen (this is followers with a class and a level, or monster followers) count as half a character when dividing the XP; and things like hired men-at-arms or animal companions don't count for the division.

Finally, each individual character adjusts their own XP award for their prime requisite ability score. -20% if the main ability score for their class is really low (3-5), -10% if it's kinda low (6-8), +5% if it's kinda high (13-15), and +10% if it's 16 or better.

Assuming that you're playing D&D, this is how experience is supposed to work. And it's the only reward-mechanism that makes any sort of sense, given the way the game is supposed to be played. Fucking with this formula has caused decades of problems and generally led to inferior gaming. I'd hope to avoid that pitfall if I were you.

>> No.41807010
File: 46 KB, 1440x900, 1439267444821.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>41806978
How much xp from stealing watermelons from cholos?

>> No.41807078

>>41806978
so you encourage looting as much as possible

>> No.41807091

I've actually started a new campaign recently. I throw minor amounts of XP at people for roleplaying (if they are in a tavern and don't order food - throw them a little XP. It's only a few coppers and I went through the trouble of making a menu). I also am throwing out MVP bonuses during battle. Awesome crit? Couple dozen xp. Bumble hilariously? Why not - here is a handful of XP to signify the learning experience. Ignore meta-knowledge? I'll throw some XP at that, sure. Since we are using the slow XP track and starting at level one: these things will add up over time - giving incentive to the type of game I am trying to achieve.

I'll make sure to post to /tg/ when they burn down my house IRL and hang my corpse as a warning.

>> No.41807123

>>41807010
that pic desperately needs context, because I have no idea what to make of it. though given the point of angle the photographer had to be to take this photo I doubt even he knows the context of this bizarre scene.

>> No.41807289

I have come to favor systems without experience. King Arthur Pendragon and Call of Cthulhu where the players improve their skills by using them, getting a check into it when they either make a critical success or sometimes for plot reasons, especially present in Pendragon.

Otherwise for the FFG Warhammer games such as Dark Heresy the PCs on avreage may earn between 300-600 XP per session which each PC in the party receives. They spend what they received during the session shortly thereafter to buy skills, talents and characteristic improvements,
Rather than just adding sticks to the ladder to next level in games such as D&D where you receive whatever your class says when you reach level x with some choices at times and y amount of skill points.

>> No.41807290

>>41807078
There's a certain elegance to just admitting that you're playing a campaign about robbing graves and ransacking temples.

It's also a pretty transparent metric for gaining XP. While I've never had a problem with systems where much of the XP is either awarded just for being there, or dependent on GM fiat--I like for players to have a really concrete idea of how to achieve greatness.

I'm thinking of using something like Reign's system of Mission-Duty-Craving, and giving players a bonus for playing them in game.

>> No.41807387

>>41807290
While it is your decision and I respect it, I must say that I do not like your method since it gives me the impresion that it doesn't allow for a total character freedom when roleplaying as it rewards only a certain kind of behavior: looting

This means that playing characters like a cleric with a poverty oath or a noble guy who do not want to disturb the treasures of others is unrewarding. I think you are wrong in thinking that you are providing an idea in how to achieve greatness when greatness depends on each person

A rogue's idea of greatness may be big riches and a mage's idea of greatness may be knowing a really powerful spell, but for you both of them must achieve it through looting

>> No.41807835

everyone gets a flat amount for showing up, then people can gain extras for good roleplaying, sticking their neck out for the team, solving mysteries, etc.

Players who do more should get more.

>> No.41807970

>>41807387
I'm not actually the guy who uses that system--in fact, I don't use it in D&D like games for the very reason you outlined.

I guess I'm defending it because I see the utility of it--it's a very good mechanic for a group of people that *do* want to simply play a gang of cynical mercenaries. It's the right incentive for the right kind of game.

You hit on something really important for GMs and game developers--the player incentive can really make the game. One of the things that really turned me off of D&D 3.5 was that slaying monsters and finding magic items was the only way to advance (at least according to RAW) so you had this vicious cycle of slaughtering monsters so that you could slaughter monsters better so that you could get better stuff to slaughter monsters better.

I would actually be really interested in seeing an MMO where you got experience solely for swiping treasure--you'd have a complete shift from combat squads into characters who are good at sneaking, or optimizing what they can carry out of danger, or even a game revolving around player skills and observation--the player who finds the key to the secret door and explores town for clues will advance faster than the player who puts a ton of overhead into a frontal assault on the guardian creature.

>> No.41808138

>>41807970
I see your point, it is, indeed, interesting and I can see his reason to run with it.
Although I still rather not use it and go for more ways to attain exp than just one (killing monsters or looting)

>> No.41808920

>>41807387
>I must say that I do not like your method since it gives me the impresion that it doesn't allow for a total character freedom when roleplaying as it rewards only a certain kind of behavior: looting

Look mate. If your group just watched Pirates of the Caribbean and decided to run a pirate campaign, don't bitch about lack of character freedom because you can't play a ninja. The campaign is looting graves. You showed up to loot graves, so make a character that can loot graves.

You start a game to play Lupin III, don't make a lawful neutral paladin.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action