Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Maintenance is complete! We got more disk space.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 63 KB, 300x300, magic-items-01.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
41419092 No.41419092 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

Let's have a magic item thread, /tg/.

Tell me about the magic items in your game. What are they like? Are they simple +1/2/3 pieces of gear, or do they have unique effects and active abilities? Do your players find them in dungeons or do they have to build them out of raw materials? Is each magic item unique or can you find more than one of each? What is your favorite magic item that you either made or had a character wield?

Not limited to magic items. We can also talk about flavor items, cursed items, macguffins etc.

>> No.41419393

I originally started my campaign by having players find valuable magic components that could be manipulated into valuable items, potions, or enchantments, but I am feeling like the players aren't really into it. Not only does finding "a magical stone" not have the same impact as finding a bejeweled blade, but it takes time and resources to craft them into things.

I like the versatility of the system since a single component can make a number of things. One of my players got lucky and found an already made magical item, and I think my other players are envious since they are still putting together funds to make their own items. Not sure if I should just drop the crafting system and start giving out items like normal.

>> No.41419849
File: 399 KB, 468x473, 1414941346013.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>41419092
Magic items are always fun, but the best are interactive.

More than a few of my players' characters have talking swords, sets of armor, or guns.

seriously, there are countless talking swords, why are there no talking guns?

>> No.41419898
File: 260 KB, 640x480, 1414943008737.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>41419849

>> No.41420013

In my game magic items don't give +1 or anything like that, though weapons like that exist they are made of rare materials or masterworks. Actual magic items are more powerful and rare.

One such item I am planning to introduce is a helmet that allows the user to jump like 30 feet with extreme speed. I don't want to say more but I do want to ask; do you think this is too powerful? It's their first big dungeon and the game is high fantasy.

>> No.41420024

>>41419092
Most magic items are common and mundane. Not +1/2/3 kinds of things, but simple effects like magical resistance, elemental effects, and so on.

I'm always short of more creative and unique things to do with magic.

>> No.41420053

>>41420013
That doesn't sound particularly strong to me, especially for a high fantasy setting.

>> No.41420216

>>41419092
Setting is pretty high-magic, a LA Eberron, but more industrialist: most equipment is at least somewhat enchanted. The result is extraordinarily powerful equipment with a semi-neolithic look to it.
A wood and stone macana can be as reliably sharp and balanced as a longsword; ships' cannons can be simple spring-powered ballistae or ethereally-fueled rods packed with spell charges; high-quality javelins contain single charges of Magic Missile that can be alternately used as a simple spell or lend force to the javelin strike itself in naval combat.

>> No.41420250

>>41419849
>why are there no talking guns?
What are you talking about? All guns are capable of talking.

They just know one word.

>> No.41420425

I suppose I'll share a pair of gauntlets that the monk in the group I run just got.

I didn't entirely mean for him to get them, but now that he has them, I figure I should just run with it. He pulled a pair of electropulse gauntlets off an assassin that the party managed to curb stomp.

The gauntlets allow the wielder to designate a single attack to generate an electric charge. If that attack successfully hits, it deals an additional 1d4 lightning damage and grants the gauntlets a static charge. The gauntlets store these charges and allow the monk to expend them to activate various secondary functions. The gloves hold up to ten charges.

He can spend five charges to create a line of lightning that is 5 feet wide and 30 ft long. Anyone inside the line must take a dex saving throw (8+prof + dex mod) or take 3d6 lightning damage. Half on a save.

The gloves can be customized as they find more parts. He can add bits that add or replace functions such as creating a thunderclap, causing all attacks for a short time to deal bonus damage, or a jolt that can stun a target as part of an attack. Likewise he can replace the power source of the gauntlets to increase the damage (1d4 to 1d6) or element (lightning to fire, etc)

>> No.41420603
File: 163 KB, 450x768, Problem Solving.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]

>>41419092
Magic Weapon: The Umpires Bat

A smooth, wooden baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire and driven with nails, that is durable and sharpened above and beyond what a normal bat should be. Wielded by The Umpire, an infamous figure in the criminal underground, whom all lowlifes, criminals, and societal degenerates regard with equal parts fear and loathing.

The Umpire is a large, heavyset man of indeterminate race with a powerful upper body and a noticeable pot belly. Wearing a thick, barred face mask and a black (or blue, descriptions vary) and white striped shirt, the identity of the Umpire remains currently unknown. He appears only at night, and only at a location where criminal activity is prevalent or criminals gather, like a drug house, project, or human trafficking location.

The Umpire is a man of few words. Whenever he enters an area "for work," he says simply "Play ball." Wn meeting an individual on the street, he will stare, deeply and unblinkingly, into their very soul, and judges them in a way only he knows. If the target passes, he finds them unworthy of his attention, he says, "Safe," and moves on. If he deems them to have failed, he says, "Fair Ball," and proceeds to attack mercilessly and with great violence. When he swings and strikes his target/victim, and he lands a killing or crippling blow (Which, given his incredible strength and the almost mythically durable bat he wields, is common), he says "Base Hit." If he manages to miss (a rarity) with a single swing, he says, "Strike One," counting upwards for each miss. He has never missed more than twice in a row. If he hits the target, but does not manage to wound them seriously enough to down them in a single, crushing blow, he says, "Foul Ball," and continues his attacks until they are down. When his work has finished, or dawn has come, he simply states, "Ball Game," and vanishes into the shadows, and will not appear again until the sun sets.

>> No.41420683

>>41420603
So what happens if he strikes out?

>> No.41420744

>>41420603
...so it's a very strong bat?

>> No.41420820

Anyone have fun flavor items? Little things that can add depth to a setting but have little or no impact as far as combat goes?

I recently added little brass coins that are imprinted with certain images. If the coin is rubbed it produces an aroma that corresponds to the image. So a picture of a boat might produce the smell of the open sea.

>> No.41420836 [DELETED] 

>>41420683
Unknown. If such an event has happened, no evidence on it exists.

Hypotheses include that he simply disappears on the spot, becomes mindlessly enraged to the point of insanity, or,

However, a much less common, but not improbable belief, is that he is "freed" from his persona as The Umpire upon "striking out." This belief also purports that the Umpires Bat exerts some sort of mind-controlling effects on its wielder, and would suggest that it is the Bat, and not the Umpire, who is in control, and the man wielding it is nothing but a puppet. This could also explain the variations of descriptions and of uniforms that The Umpire wears, as different individuals are possessed and molded by the bat in order to fulfill its desires.

That's where you come in, Adventurer....

>> No.41420889

>>41420683
Unknown. If such an event has happened, no evidence on it exists.

Hypotheses include that he simply disappears on the spot, becomes mindlessly enraged to the point of insanity, or that he dies.

However, a much less common, but not improbable belief, is that he is "freed" from his persona as The Umpire upon "striking out." This belief also purports that the Umpires Bat exerts some sort of mind-controlling effects on its wielder, and would suggest that it is the Bat, and not the Umpire, who is in control, and the man wielding it is nothing but a puppet. This could also explain the variations of descriptions and of uniforms that The Umpire wears, as different individuals are possessed and molded by the bat in order to fulfill its desires.

That's where you come in, Adventurer....

>> No.41421871

>>41420889
Sounds interesting. I'd play it.

What system do you use this character/item in?

>> No.41421934

>>41420425

If the thunderclap isn't generated by clapping, I am extremely disappointed.

>> No.41421942

>>41421934
Of course it is... why would I make it anything else?

>> No.41421974

>>41421942

Just making sure, anon.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
reCAPTCHA
Action