Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.39979113 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

So one of my players found an image with some guidelines and stuff for a Magical Girl RPG, right?

And my group, being 80% weaboos, wanted to have a go at it, and put our current campaign on hold. I'm DMing, as always.

But I have absolutely no clue as to how to create a good narrative on this shit. I've never watched anime other than Gundam and DBZ when I was a kid, and searching for "Magical Girls" on Google only gets me the wikipedia article and a list of anime, which to be honest I'm not too keen on watching.

Anybody on here run one of these games before? Can you guys help me get a good story going for this? What kind of enemies do Magical Girls fight? Does their magic work the same as mages'? What motivates them? What kind of world do I make up for them?

Seriously, I'm bad with weebshit.

Pic is the image they gave me. It says page 1, do any of you guys have page 2 or whatever?

>> No.39979544

>>39917652

Learn to use the catalog.

Also run it in magical burst or something since this is just a cyoa with no system.

>> No.39979622

>>39979544

Welp, I'm officially a dumbass. Thanks.

>> No.39979798

>>39979113
For inspiration, find an "essential episodes" list for Sailor Moon (so you can skip all the bullshit) and then watch the original Madoka Magica series. You'll be pretty set and thoroughly entertained to boot.

>> No.39980142

>>39979622
Don't let that get you down.

Do you have any specific questions about your campaign? Magical girl anime is a genre that spans the range from "fun and friends" to "dbz with girls"

>> No.39980247

>>39980142

Mainly on the setting. I have no idea what kind of "world", might you say, this stuff takes place in.

Like, what do I put in for enemies? Other Girls? Monsters? Robbers? Robots? What's "canon" in the genre?

I've watched some Youtube videos on this shit and all I get are ridiculously long videos of girls twirling around and changing clothes.

>> No.39980364

What style of campaign are you interested in?

I'm in a Magical Girl campaign at the moment set in the Nanoha setting, which is different but rather cool, and quite conducive to an RPG campaign.

The Time Space Administration Bureau is basically magical starfleet, although in addition to their dimensional warships they maintain a militarized force of Magical Girls (And a few Boys).

The TSAB acts primarily to keep administer worlds safe from Lost Logia threats, echoes of the lost civilizations of Old Belka and Al-Hazard, whose mastery of magic and science far surpassed what's available today.

Nanoha is an odd franchise because it's a magical girl show designed for Mecha fans, with plenty of dogfighting, friendship lasers and all out weaponry duels thrown into the mix.

We're running the game in Legends of the Wulin, as the combat system works very well for anything high action, and it mechanically supports Befriending people via gigantic laser blasts.

>> No.39980504

>>39980364

You lost me on the Nanoha part. But I like how the rest of it sounds.

As for what style... I'd guess something introductory-like? I'm totally new to the magical girl setting, and 2 of my players are in the same situation. The other 8 are hardcore weebs and would probably catch on if I tried to nick a anime story...

I guess I'm looking for a fast-paced campaign, with action and stuff. I don't know much about any kind of magical girl show, but I was twirling something around my head about magical girls for hire and them just going on quests for cash or other shit, with a BBEG on the horizon. Like adventurers.

I'm lost on how to do it, tho.

>> No.39980588

>>39980504

I can understand being leery of having to watch an entire series, but the Nanoha franchise has a few movies that came out recently, Nanoha The Movie First and Nanoha The Movie Next.

Both are pretty good and do a decent job of introducing the setting elements, as well as showing off the high action combat the show became famous for.

The reason I'd recommend it as a game setting is that, as part of the TSAB, the squad your PCs are part of could be sent all over the place. It lets you design each mission as a self contained arc, experiment with what works and what doesn't and generally play around with the formula until you figure out what works.

Although goddamn, ten people? That's insane.

>> No.39980673

>>39980588

Hmmm... I guess I know what I'm pulling an all-nighter with today.

Some other anon said to use Magical Burst or something, but I think I'll give both systems a try. Seems like a cool setting, friendly lasers and all.

And yeah, pretty big group. Hard to DM for them, but they bribe me with free food and 40k minis, so I can't say no...

>> No.39980724

>>39980673

Magical Burst is... Okay, but it's a very different style of show.

Word of warning, if you do decide to try out LotW. It's a great game, but the core book is awfully edited, so it can take a while to get your head around it. There's a fan pdf companion you can download from the Wulin Legends wiki, which also lists a load of custom styles for the game.

>> No.39980765

>>39980724

I'm downloading it right now, thanks anon.

You've probably made a group of roleplaying weaboos very happy today.

>> No.39980842

>>39980765

Legends of the Wulin is good for high action stuff in general, I've seen people do highschool combat anime with it. You could probably even do DBZ.

The one warning I'd give is that a combat with ten people in it has a real risk of dragging on really badly. The combat system is excellent, but its very in depth and can take a little while to work through.

What might make it easier to run for a group that big is to let players control enemy NPCs if their character isn't involved in the fight. LotWs combat is very fun to play, and its one of the few systems where PvP works perfectly well and can actually be beneficial.

Two PCs beating the hell out of one another can actually end with the characters granting one another a buff.

>> No.39980936

>>39980842

That does sound like a problem. Maybe I'll split the group in half and make them play different arcs each. Then regroup 'em for the final boss.

Also, maybe it's too much to ask, but do you have any cool BBEG idea for my guys? Can I just stick a dragon in there and call it a day?

>> No.39981013

>>39980247
>Mainly on the setting. I have no idea what kind of "world", might you say, this stuff takes place in.
Really, whatever you want.

>Like, what do I put in for enemies? Other Girls? Monsters? Robbers? Robots? What's "canon" in the genre?
Also anything you want.

Ok, so, let's run down a checklist of Magical Girl Tropes. If you hate the word trope then too bad.

1. Protagonists are magical girls or boys. Not men or women, although they could potentially be young adults. They typically go to school, but I guess they can just be delinquents.
2. They tend to lead double lives, with their magical super side a secret. Think Superman or Spiderman here.
3. Transformation sequences. I guess this is a big part of the genre with the whole flowery transformation, but you might be better served by just having your players call out a catchphrase they use to transform and omit the transformation descriptions after the first few times they do it, if they want to do it at all.
4. Almost always the heroes are not career magical girls! This is actually more important than the other stuff above. The magical girls get contracted and have magical abilities bestowed upon them, typically by some kind of powerful entity. They can also have some kind of power awaken inside them so they have to fall in to this new role. It's a fish-out-of-water kind deal with almost all magical girls.
5. Usually the entity or drive or whatever makes the protagonists into magical girls because there's some sort of ancient evil that has awoken, or they need more magical girl meat for the grinder that is monster-of-the-week combat. So, as far as who they are fighting is concerned, it's usually some kind of monster-of-the-week that gets sent by the big bad. There doesn't NEED to be a big bad, but defeating him or her could be the capstone of the campaign

cont because i'm about to run out of characters...

>> No.39981027

>>39980936

What might work is splitting up the ten man group into two squads. For learning the system you could do a PvP training combat between them, or let them go through duels to learn it themselves.

As for BBEG's, the setting gives you a lot of options. From Cthulhu-tier magical abominations to 'golem' ripoffs of whatever awesome giant robot you want, dragons of any kind, powerful sorcerors... And at the same time, you can also go down the more sci-fi angle. Rip off Metal Gear Rising and have attacks from cyborgs or illegal arms dealers, corrupt CEOs or almost anything else.

>> No.39981225

>>39981013
cont

Now for some of the flavor stuff...
6. The setting is typically modern day but with magic that few people know about. This goes hand-in-hand with the double-life fish-out-of-water tropes I mentioned before.
7. The costumes are frilly and fabulous. They could also be form-fitting like leotards. Usually not TOO revealing. Also all the protagonists are color-coded. You know, the red one, the blue one, the yellow one, the different-blue one, the purple one, the pink one, and the white one. These match to their powers, which tend to be focused on some kind of element or ability. The OP image is a good guide, although some of the stuff on there is pretty rare. Elemental stuff is more common.
8. Weapons tend to be either made of magical energy, or summoned weapons that are no more recent than Victorian times. Bows, swords, polearms, rarely guns. Using modern weapons is seen as a subversion off the genre, but it's happened before so whatever. Hand-to-hand is good, and it can be just punchy mcBrawler type combat or magically amplified with bursts of glowing energy (also color-coded). Magical girls don't need weapons, some of them just fight by summoning elements. They also tend to name and call out their attacks. Make your players do this, this will add to the experience. If they don't, they can be the "dark brooding" type, but there's a limit of one of those per group (just like you can only have one of each color).
9. They have some sort of fetish (no not that kind) that they use to transform along with their catchphrase. Typically this is not a weapon, but it can be. The weapons are summoned or appear out of hammerspace.
10. Power of friendship and love are big themes. Some magical girl shows run on "I believe in you!" kinds of power-ups, but almost every single example of the genre has friendship either be a weapon or the reason they all stick around to keep fighting.

I think that's about it. You can subvert any of these and still be good.

>> No.39981282

>>39981225
>>39981013

...Nanohafag here. I find it kinda amusing that Nanoha obeys almost none of these tropes, although it's also undeniably a magical girl show.

>> No.39981299

>>39981225

So, to recap: Frilly outfits, elemental powers, color-coding and transformation charms, right?

Most of the players in my group probably won't have any problem with that. I'll just have to ease it in for the 2 non-weebs.

Thanks, anon.

>> No.39981382

>>39981299
Pretty much. Don't forget the "granted power by a greater force" part, because it's a big deal. Think coming-of-age here. This greater force is usually some kind of cute animal whose true nature is completely different from its appearance.

>>39981282
Sorry Anonymous, I've never watched Nanoha.

>> No.39981392

>>39981282

Well, it's also a mech show as much as a Magical Girl show in many ways.

But then, both have heavily overlapping themes in areas. That courage and righteousness can move mountains.

>> No.39981499

>>39981382

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9XLPYjdqos

This should appropriately summarize the series for anyone who hasn't seen it, as to why it is so very much loved.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action