Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

Due to resource constraints, /g/ and /tg/ will no longer be archived or available. Other archivers continue to archive these boards.Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games

View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
[ERROR] No.37364774 [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

>Player is researching how to make an artifact-tier dragon slaying bow
>Gets permission to read the Paladin archives on the dude who used the bow
>On the spot, make five scrolls and two tomes and fluff them as he reads them
>Tell him the hardest part about making those was making the red herrings
>He's so confused he assumes all of the books are either trivial that he already knew, or all red herrings
>mfw none of them were red herrings, it's just a batshit strange weapon

You ever gone too deep /tg/?

For the record, he was researching an archer from a 1000 years ago that killed the second most powerful dragon when it was rampaging with the destructive force of Mt Vesuvius. He shot it in the head and killed it, one hit that connected was all it took.

Scrolls
>The Fae Forests
Children’s fable type thing, encoded message
>101 Uses for Kraken
Written in Aquan
>A map of Pompeii Circa 20
Marks where The Red Tyrant was felled
>The Gorgons
Appeared in Macedonia
>Report on Borgian Sacrilege
Heavily [REDACTED], but in reference to destroyed Pyrus Blades

Tomes
>The Age of Heroes Vol IV
Was a nobody that showed up and killed The Red Tyrant, feasted for weeks, shot it through the eye, then went north and was never seen again
>On Dragons Vol B(iology)
Invulnerable hides, explosium bladders, aim for the eye.

Did I go too deep?

>> No.37364908

>>37364774
Sounds awesome.

I mean, really, your player is just expecting an easy answer from you. And you shouldn't give him that easy answer, because it's an artifact-tier dragon slaying blow that can kill a dragon with a single shot, and creating artifacts of that magnitude don't have an easy recipe.

>> No.37364926

You should not have told him about red herrings or that they may be any. Let him be baffled on his own.

>> No.37365001

>>37364926
But it'd be really easy to figure out if you knew that each of these was reliably connected to the weapon.

>> No.37365350

>>37365001
It's generally a lot harder for players to figure out things than you think.
In my opinion, you should never give out meta-gamey information.

>> No.37365424

>>37365001
You gave out metagaming information, you should have told him that some of them were unreliable in character not out of character.

>> No.37365522

Well now I want to hear about the setting- why are you using real world locations and what the deal with the dragon and messages encoded in children's stories is.

>> No.37367629

>>37365522
Using 13th century Europe because I got tired of innaccuratte maps and wanted a map that really had a lot of detail to it.

The dragon got killed over a thousand years ago, I don't think I'll ever explain what his deal was. All I know was he was doing it it to project his children of which now only one survives.

Honestly I don't know what hint I'm going to put in the fables. Probably methods of entering fae forests safely.

>> No.37369193

So do any of you get the quest hooks I was getting at?

>> No.37369277

>>37364774
>Dragons
>Vol
>Vol Dragon
Hoh hoh hoh

>> No.37369913

>>37369193
First thing we're heading to Pompeii to see if the skeleton is still there and just maybe find an arrowhead,
Then we're on to Macedonia to seek out Gorgons (since Medusa famously used a bow),
Search the Greek isles for rumours of kraken,
Memorizefable in case we come across forest fairies.
Lots to do. Wish I could play something half as interesting.

>> No.37369962

>>37369913
>since Medusa famously used a bow
Wait seriously? Did I accidentally something awesome as this?

Also, I'll tell you this, the skull of the dragon is on display in Rome. The entire right ocular region is destroyed.

>> No.37370093

>>37369962
>Medusa
Pretty sure the Perseus myth describes her as wielding a bow, but it may also have been a modern trope.
>Dragon skull in Rome
So awesomeeee

>> No.37370121

>>37370093
I like cultist pose.

Partially because it looks badass.
Partially because it could be a pose halfway through throwing his arms up in "oh god what the fuck" terror as he thought he was summoning a minor spirit.

>> No.37370143

>>37364926
Except there weren't any.
>>37365350
Even if it's lies?

>> No.37370242

>>37370121
>well shit
>not again

>> No.37370273

>>37369913
Read the graffiti while you're there.

http://www.pompeiana.org/resources/ancient/graffiti%20from%20pompeii.htm

>> No.37370336

>>37370121
>>37370242
>"And where have YOU been? Worried sick I was!"

>> No.37370362

>>37364926
Make the bow require actual red-colour herring to function. Something about them being distant relatives and sympathetic magic of broken scales or some shit.

>> No.37370612

>>37365522
You have no idea how easy it is to take more focused world maps, flip them horizontally and vertically, and everybody being none the wiser.

>> No.37372547

>>37364774
>fae forest needed for the wood to make the bow
>kraken sinew to string it
>Arrowheads recovered from Pompeii
>A gorgon to craft it
>????

>> No.37372665

>>37370143
Lies as metagame information just mislead your players.
Remember, you're the only way they can access the world, and you're generally seen as 100% reliable.
If you tell them about the red herrings, they will believe there are red herrings, and it'll be the one of the last things they start doubting.

>> No.37372740

>>37372665
If you didn't notice, those books and scrolls actually provide multiple ways to continue the search, and he only has to act on one and can in fact consider all the others as red herrings. And if the one he chose doesn't pan out for some reason? (good luck killing a kraken at level 5!) he assumes that's the red herring and goes back looking for the actual one.

>> No.37372781

>>37372740
Yeah, I'm surprised he didn't at least think about them more.

Do you usually give your players a clear goal & objective, or is what they're supposed to do sometimes vague? It seems to me like he's used to having a clear objective, and now that you're giving him something to think about he just discards it.
To get him to use these things, just make everything point to them. If he asks someone else about how to make this bow, this someone else will talk about the tomes and scrolls in the Paladin archives, etc.

>> No.37372792

>>37372740
But seriously, why lie to your players OOC.

>> No.37372832

>>37372781
The vast majority of play time he's had has been dungeon crawls. He's actually never played before this campaign, and for mostly OoC reasons we've been mostly in dungeons. So, maybe?

But, the self-proclaimed most experienced at the table was confused as shit as well.

>>37372792
So I have an excuse as to why I need to change things after realizing something later on. Like maybe it's absurd that arrowheads would still be there after a thousand years. Guess that map was a bit of a red herring! eh?

Also in hopes of him applying more critical thinking and evaluating the worth of each document.

>> No.37372940

>>37364774
Wait, wait wait. You came up with all those and figured in ways for them to work in to the plot, and then layered some meta-might-be-false cues on top of that, ON THE SPOT?

I have trouble naming random NPCs as they appear! Tell me your secrets!

>> No.37372994

>>37372832
Yeah, I think he's just not used to this kind of mystery.
I've found out that experience in roleplaying games doesn't really matter a lot. If you've had 5 years of experience under a single DM who runs dungeon crawls, you're not going to have any experience doing investigations.
Having experience in roleplaying games just means that you get better at roleplaying and creating interesting characters.

Why would you need to tell your players that some information is false OOC? Can't they deduce themselves that an arrowhead will probably not be found after a thousand years?
You don't need to tell your players "This might be false." in order for it to possibly be false. You don't need an excuse to change things after realizing something later on.

I feel like you should try to convey the message, not OOC, but IC. One of the archivists could say "These documents are ancient, some of them might be outdated and irrelevant." or something similar.

>> No.37373049

>>37372940

Not the OP, but I generally run campaigns on nearly pure improv fairly confidently, but names are still a pain in the ass. Designing cool mysteries and plot on the fly is much easier than coming up with a name for a random npc the players are unexpectedly focusing on who will probably never be seen again.

>> No.37373051

>>37372940
My secret is I made the synopsis on the dude's life story a while ago and just had to choose ways to creatively spotlight parts of it. It's a consequence of having a well developed world that I myself created and know by heart.

>>37372994
Oh cut me some fucking slack, I said it when I was half way through making all of these but after I declared how many there were. So i wasn't sure I could come up with enough relevant hints. Some things I convey IC, some things I abbreviate OoC to move things along.

I'm the kind of guy that says "As you approach the glistening white fortress, you see the rows of rising walls leading up to the main bulwark in the center, jutting out of the Matterhorn and looming over the town below, with, wait is bulwark the right word for that? aw fuck it, It's Minas Tirith, you all know what Minas Tirith looks like, right?"

And I like reminding my players that my word is not gospel, it is the world as they perceive it. I have to remind them of this especially when I make them explain events to each other because holy shit the fucking suck at that.

>> No.37373061

>>37373051
>>37372940
also pic related

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action