Quantcast
[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / g / ic / jp / lit / sci / tg / vr ] [ index / top / reports / report a bug ] [ 4plebs / archived.moe / rbt ]

If you can see this message, the SSL certificate expiration has been fixed.
Become a Patron!

/tg/ - Traditional Games


View post   

[ Toggle deleted replies ]
File: 50 KB, 469x463, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33924885 No.33924885 [DELETED]  [Reply] [Original] [4plebs] [archived.moe]

>"Eldar/Tau/Chaos are so awesome!"

>> No.33924922

>>33924885
how are eldar or chaos fedora?
they openly worship gods

>> No.33924936 [SPOILER] 
File: 97 KB, 629x365, 1407294748536.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33924936

>>33924885
I couldn't disagree more, here's a qt Eldar

>> No.33924939
File: 42 KB, 875x960, 1179124947206.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33924939

More like TAUSOME!

>> No.33924969

Yo, Eldar and Tau are one thing, Chaos is anything but fedora. Get your shit out of here.

>> No.33924977
File: 1.35 MB, 900x1174, 1406866329290.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33924977

>>33924939
>Tau
>Awesome
Pick one

>> No.33925004

>>33924969
>Blood for le blood God XD
If I hear a Neckbeard say this one more time, I'll kill someone.

>> No.33925016

>>33924885
Chaos offers guns powered by rock. GUNS POWERED BY ROCK AND FUCKING ROLL!
In a setting of heavy metal album covers, chaos can actually field and army of metal heads.

>> No.33925021
File: 35 KB, 741x742, 1176727001931.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33925021

>>33924977
That's not a very difficult choice, Anonymous.

>> No.33925033

I think they're all fine except that some have an unfortunate tendency to attract shitty people as players.

>> No.33925039

>>33925004
>fahh the Emprah
>ere we go ere we go
>waaaagghh

>> No.33925040

>>33925004
>For Le Emperor XD
If I hear a Neckbeard say this one more time, I'll kill someone.

>> No.33925086

You a space marine player OP?

>what most we do to show how much we despise the enemy
>Got it! We make it so our helmets are making frowny faces!
>Brother Buttbudius you are a genius, now back that ass up so that we may express our devotion to the Emperor in the traditional space marine style

>> No.33925095

>>33925039
>>33925040
>Tfw when play Dork Eldar
>nothing annoying to say

>> No.33925117

>>33924885

Actually OP, it is far more accurate to put a fedora tipper exposing how great Space Marines and TEH EMPEROR because that is what fedoras are. Easily Butthurt, overly loud, highly 'religious and conservative' who think they are right.

>> No.33925124

>>33925095
nids and crons don't have much in that department either

>> No.33925126
File: 41 KB, 534x532, 1402902336396.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33925126

>>33925004
Blood for the blood god

>> No.33925132

Non-warhammer player here.

Is it okay if I prefer Chaos because I enjoy body horror, or should I start shopping for a fedora?

>> No.33925134

>>33925095
>For le Commoragh!!11

>> No.33925146
File: 112 KB, 405x506, 1406520382995.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33925146

>>33925086
>not using glorious Mk I Beakie Helmet
>mfw
A plea has entered the room

>> No.33925150

>>33925117
Fedoras are Dawkins-spouting "I'm so logical because I don't believe in God but obsess over how good science is without actually understanding it" types.

>> No.33925162

>>33925117
actually, the Emperor, unless it has been retconned, was ultimate fedora-core

>> No.33925165

>>33925040
>
>>33925039
>>33925004
so i think we have come to the conclusion that all of 40k is awful and everyone who plays it is a fedora.

>> No.33925181

>>33925132
OP is a moron. See >>33925033

>> No.33925193

>>33925165
You already knew this in your heart. And I say this as someone who began playing in the 2e-3e era

>> No.33925200

>>33925150
And how the flying fuck is that attributable to any non-Tau 40k race?

>> No.33925209

>>33925134
no one says that though

>> No.33925218
File: 48 KB, 500x375, 1390432696907.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33925218

>>33924885
I don't understand this meme any more

>> No.33925228

>>33925200
I never said it was. Just that the person to whom I was replying used the word "fedora" wrong.

That was my first post in this thread.

>> No.33925235

>>33925218
it's about being static, not because of any good but because of the crack in your head

>> No.33925260

>>33925200
the tau understand their science though. the eldar are fedoray, though

>> No.33925261

>>33925228
Ah, sorry about the misunderstanding.

Yeah, OP is dildos.

>> No.33925267

>>33925132
there's nothing fedora about chaos

>> No.33925304

>>33925260
the eldar understand their science, what they deny is they and their gods were created by space frogs to battle space egyptians back when the universe was young

>> No.33925349

>>33925260
>>33925304
The Machine Cult are fedora-y because they don't understand their science but they worship it in lieu of a deity.

>> No.33925373

>>33925146
Beakies do not express hatred nearly as well as frowny faces.

>> No.33925374

I once had some faggot get butthurt because he only played DE and Chaos and I said anyone that only plays those two factions to the exclusion of everything else was an edgemaster.

>> No.33925397

>>33925374
Maybe he just didn't have the money to buy any other factions.

>> No.33925418

>>33925004
It's not any worse, or any more common than any other repeated FOR THE ____ phrase.

>> No.33925423

>>33925349
that's ok
although it is implied the ruling circle knows the cult is just a charade to have a monopoly over technology and progress, thus ensuring their authority
pretty much all the SM are super fedora hypocrites, all know the emperor was not a god, but are ok with lesser people believing otherwise, and although techmarines are competent using their technology they have no idea how it actually works

>> No.33925434

>>33925218
It's just a generic phrase for "person I don't like."

>> No.33925449
File: 75 KB, 631x753, 1405984495821.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33925449

>>33925374
I actually started Dark Eldar because of how fucking awesome Incubi look

>> No.33925478

>>33925150
>Fedoras are Dawkins-spouting "I'm so logical because I don't believe in God but obsess over how good science is without actually understanding it" types.
See, I always figured the point at which an atheist became a Fedora is when he's a militant atheist to the point of being edgy and/or when they make you think "for a man with no religion, you sure do a whole lotta preaching."

Like the Evangelical Christians of Atheism.

>> No.33925492

>>33925218
It's incredibly overused, and applied to pretty much every group.

>> No.33925513

>>33925132
Sorry, gonna need to find a trilby... people slandering a decent hats name by relating it to this trash.

>> No.33925530

>>33925150
Well, not really. Fedoras are Christians who take their religion seriously, think women are evil, believe dressing a century out of time makes them attractive, espouse racist sentiments, etc.

>> No.33925537

>>33925165
No, just that people really fucking like their favorite races in 40k,

Honestly, while I do know some arrogant assholes who are Tau players, I also know some pretty cool guys who simply like Tau for the mech-suits and their dakka -- which is perfectly understandable. But... yeah, Tau fluff seems to be specifically written to attract fucking redditors. I'm not going to judge someone for liking Tau (after all, if they are truly Fedoras, there will be several more important reasons to despise them), but I do hate Tau fluff. So fucking bland and shallow.

>> No.33925548

>>33925513

Both those hats are dumb because chances are you're too young to be wearing them anyway.

And if not, then please get off the computer, grandpa.

>> No.33925556

If I wanted to hear undersexed shitheels accuse people who like what they don't like of being fedora-tippers, I would go to Tumblr.

>> No.33925568

>>33925530
That's not what it originally was though, it was for beta militant atheists who thought they were cool for denouncing religion.

>> No.33925574

>>33925478
that was pretty much the original idea,
not about people who do not believe in any god and keep to themselves unless people are doing idiotic shit, like killing children during exorcism or saying Satan is in the vaccines BUT about people who sue the governor for placing a X-mas tree at the town square (a public secular place) or people who hate on the local church having a bake sale because it funds "brainwashing the young"
now is just any atheist, or in the case of OP, anybody i don't like

>> No.33925587

>>33924969

Chaos is a fedora.

Made of tentacle penises and toothed maws with penises for tongues.

>> No.33925588

>>33925530
That's a Biblethumper. A Fedora is an evolved obnoxious atheist.

>> No.33925644

>>33925492
It's text-book cancer.


What was originally a joke to mock preachy pseudo intellectual atheists became shitty ad hom and the equivalent of calling you a nerd without actually calling you a nerd. Also damage control for Christfags anytime atheism is brought up at all or anyone shows an unfavorable view to religion.

>> No.33925656

>>33925478
>>33925150
These, though at some point early on, beta/virgin traits "nice guys finish last" got mixed in.

And I guess now it's "edgy person" or "STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE."

>> No.33925663

Here's an easy litmus test for whether or not an atheist is a fedoratheist.

Does he have multiple smug videos condemning the evils of feminism for some weird-ass reason? If so, he's a fedora.

>> No.33925671

>>33925587
And with this post, the use of "fedora" to characterize a particular type of person has lost all meaning.

>> No.33925692

>>33925587
>Space marines that worship an entire pantheon of strange gods.
>Somehow fedora.

No.

>> No.33925704

>>33925663
What if he shoves fruit up his butt?

>> No.33925705

>>33925671
5 years from t6oday people will call their friends fedoras and the term will be akin to nigga, bro, dude, etc...

>> No.33925717
File: 162 KB, 1100x1100, fedoras of america.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33925717

>> No.33925719

>>33925704
Bonus points.

>> No.33925744

>>33925717
>Mountain Fedora
>Round Fedora
>Tall Fedora
>Texas Fedora

My sides are tipping their fedoras on their own!

>> No.33925749

>>33925717
>wtf, that's a bowling hat not a round fedora, well i don't know much about hat
>texas fedora
tep lel

>> No.33925760

>>33925717
You forgot motorcycle fedora, fedora rebreather and space fedora.

>> No.33925763

>>33925663
>bringing feminism into this

No, because according to the other side it's white knights who let feminists step all over them that are fedoras. That was never the point of fedora in the first place anyway.

The litmus test is if they think religion is the #1 problem in the world and our greatest folly.

>> No.33925764

>>33925150
>>33925150
>I'm so logical because I don't believe in God
Have they never fucking heard of Pascal's wager?

>> No.33925765
File: 34 KB, 292x257, 1399521338098.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33925765

>>33925717

>> No.33925770

>>33925719
It HAS to be a fruit though. Vegetables don't count.

>> No.33925773

>>33925663
>implying American feminism isn't the worst ideology since Nazism and Aztec heart sacrifice

>> No.33925781

>>33924885
stop being a faggot, and accept that people have different tastes.

>> No.33925782

>>33925644
>Also damage control for Christfags anytime atheism is brought up at all or anyone shows an unfavorable view to religion.

Fucking this. "Fedora" on the internet is now a catch-all term for atheists, since openly declaring a hatred of atheism is still just-this-side of politically correct. Even something as mild as saying you think the new Pope is a lot of talk and no action will bring down a swarm of meme-spouting shitheels. "LOL LE EPIC REDDIT FEDORA NECKBEARD."

>> No.33925797

>>33925760
mexican fedora (el fedoro?), baseball fedora, hard fedora

>> No.33925814

>>33925218
It's being used to refer to people who oppose the traditional (religious) mainstream. That in this case being the Empire. I think OP's a dumbass though because Eldar players aren't really about that at all, and Chaos, while opposing the Empire, generally do it in a non-fedora way.

>> No.33925816

>>33925763
>>33925773

Speaking of fedoras.

>> No.33925827

>>33925764
>Pascal's Wager

According to reason, you can defend neither of the propositions.

I think most people forget this, and for some reason think atheism is defensible. The only logical conclusion other than the use of Pascal's Wager is agnosticism, which conveniently, the Abrahamic God frowns upon.

>> No.33925859

>>33925827

Frowns upon EVEN WORSE THAN ATHIESM

AGNOSTICS ARE SCUM BURN THEM ALL BEHEAD THEIR WIDOWS

>> No.33925875
File: 364 KB, 430x393, Aztechnology.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33925875

>>33925773

Hey. Aztech Heart Sacrifice is a valid and respectable religion!

>> No.33925878

>>33925782

I have literally never encountered this. Maybe you should stop going to retarded websites.

For someone who is getting so indignant that idiots are offending your superior intellect, you sure do make stupid decisions.

>> No.33925884

>>33925859
>Frowns upon EVEN WORSE THAN ATHIESM
Of course. Agnosticism is for lazy bums and those of weak will without the balls to make up their mind.

>> No.33925890

>>33925816
>Shitposters in charge of reading comprehension

Do you only skim for buzzwords are you this much of a faggot?

>> No.33925894

>>33925764
Pascal's wager is flawed at its core as a truly omniscient god would see through lip service

>> No.33925930

>>33925878
Not him but it is common on shittier boards. Like /v/, /int/, /tv/, /pol/, /b/, and /sp/

>> No.33925931

>>33925773

Aztec sacrifices were an honorable thing. If you weren't a prisoner and you were sacrificed, it meant that you had achieved something noteworthy in life.

>> No.33925942
File: 1.01 MB, 892x635, Power Armor Marks 1-8.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33925942

>>33925146
>Mk I Beakie
u wot m8

>> No.33925958

>>33925884
all 3 can be labeled as "for lazy bums ..." if you don't educate yourself in the position you hold

>> No.33925972

>>33925894

That's not a flaw. Pascal's law doesn't tell you to pay lip service, it tells you to actually live the way god tells you to because he's the safest bet. Not to try to trick him in case he exists. Seriously, how can you be this stupid.

>> No.33925979

>>33925260
Eldar are by definition the kinkiest of kinky.

They created the god/dess of kinky.

>> No.33925981

>>33925878
>I have literally never encountered this. Maybe you should stop going to retarded websites.

If I knew what was good for me, I would definitely stop going to 4chan.

>For someone who is getting so indignant that idiots are offending your superior intellect

I have literally never said this.

>> No.33925994

>>33925763
If you oppose feminism the feminists will call you a fedora.
If you support feminism the Christians will call you a fedora.

>> No.33926001

>>33925530
You have no fucking idea what you're talking about.

>> No.33926003

>>33925931
more like it meant you were considered worthy of being God food
the sacrifices were meant to sustain the gods, only in the most dire circumstance would mesoamerican sacrifice low castes

>> No.33926006

>>33925972
>live the way god tells you to because he's the safest bet.
Which is not actual belief, and is more in line with Jewish ideals.

>> No.33926040

Pascal's Wager is a fallacy. You are not presented with a choice between "religion" and "atheism", you're presented with a choice between "every possible religion" and "atheism". Perhaps a god exists, and he abhors being worshiped or acknowledged in any way. Perhaps he will send you to hell if you practice any religion, but sends all atheists to heaven. It's equally as likely as any other religion out there. Only a complete fool would gamble with Pascal.

>> No.33926046

>>33925994
>If you support feminism the Christians will call you a fedora.

No, just men in general. Plenty of atheists who also don't like feminism, including one rather "Amazing" one.

>> No.33926049

>>33926006

I'm pretty sure someone trying his best to live a Christian life to avoid hell is better than an agnostic or atheist in the eternal damnation scale.

>> No.33926055

>>33925972
Why is believing in "God" safer than believing than any of the other 50 kajillion religions? For all we know the universe is run by a computer that filters out everyone that believes in the supernatural. There are no bets that are safer than others because there's no evidence for any of them.

>> No.33926065

>>33926006
Them Orthodox be hardcore. I kind of envy how much patience and faith they have for that lifestyle.

>> No.33926087

>>33925994

Pretty much

>"If you don't agree with me you're a loser!" the maymay

The only thing worse than fedora is "edgy".

>> No.33926091

>>33925972
1. It's Pascal's wager, not Pascal's law.
2. Pascal was religious, but the wager wasn't a serious argument.

>> No.33926095

>>33925374
You're a cunt. Not everyone can afford to buy, make, and paint tons of different armies.

>> No.33926101

>>33925773
So what you're saying is it's a good ideology?

>> No.33926112

>>33926049
Not if the god isn't Abrahamic-- or say it is, and maybe a particular secular humanist has more positive moral values overall as compared to a particular Christian. You don't know the criteria, and the wager assumes you do.

>> No.33926117

>>33926040

Pascal's Wager isn't a fallacy because he explicitly states those assumptions as his basis.

>> No.33926122

>>33925530
Christians are the diametric opposite of fedoras.

>> No.33926126

>>33925894
the flaw that i see in his thought experiment is that while the Christian God could exists, that says nothing nor prevents the possibility of other deities being the actual show runners, nor does it exclude the possibility of entities not venerated by any human civilization to be the universal authorities
so basically you are in no way better worshiping Christ, Pele, Odin, Zeus, ZX454465dre5ss, or nothing at all

>> No.33926133

>>33925931
I think you're mixing your mesoamericans up. That sounds like Mayans, Olmecs, and Toltecs. The Aztecs were unusual in that they went for quantity over quality.

>> No.33926159

>>33925942
>Thunder pattern

easily the worst helmet

>> No.33926171

>>33926040

Wow, you're dumb. Even in your scenario, Pascal's Wager works. It's safer to bet on Christianity than atheism even if your supposed god exists. More chances to burn in hell with atheism.

>> No.33926202

>>33926171
>More chances to burn in hell with atheism.
Same hell the Christians will burn in if it turns out that in fact a cheese sandwich created the universe.

>> No.33926205

>>33926122
Tumblr has been calling Christians fedoras a lot longer than fedora has been used for atheists.

>> No.33926221

>>33926171

Are you illiterate or just retarded? In my scenario, all Christians go to hell, all atheists don't. And it's equally as "likely" as any other scenario.

>> No.33926225

>>33925782
>the new Pope is a lot of talk and no action

What does this even mean? What do you legitimately expect the pope to do?

>> No.33926234

>>33926006
>you can't decide to actually believe something
You have a very shitty level of control over your mind.

>> No.33926235

>>33926171
>Even in your scenario, Pascal's Wager works.
No, it doesn't. Because the wager, and stakes, are the same no matter what choice you make, and makes the assumption that belief in this one particular god of hundreds is the proper one.

>> No.33926236

If there's a meme that ever needed to die painfully, its that one.

>> No.33926249
File: 68 KB, 1920x1080, maxresdefault.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33926249

>>33926046

Because we all know how mentally grounded that guy is.

>> No.33926260

>>33926171
Not really. You're forgetting that original / Theravada Buddhism is atheistic and leads to a pretty good "afterlife", meanwhile if the Buddhists are right then most Christians are just dooming themselves to continued suffering through all their psychotic hatred.

>> No.33926275

>>33925994
>christians

no just dudes

>> No.33926277

>>33926234
If you're doing it out of fear, or want of reward, it doesn't equate to faith. Behind the curtain, an omniscient being can know the difference.

>> No.33926283

>>33926225
Burn the heretics of course

>> No.33926286
File: 54 KB, 500x339, Do Better.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33926286

>>33926202
Yeah, but that's entirely missing the point. Pascal's Wager was formulated in a Christian context, and specifically sets up Christianity and atheism as the two choices.

If a cheese sandwich (or anyone else) is in charge, Christians and atheists are in the same boat. If atheists are right, Christians and atheists are in the same boat. If Christians are right, atheists are in trouble while Christians are saved.

>> No.33926300

>>33925878
Look harder.

>> No.33926338

>>33926205
I thought they used it for MRAs.

>> No.33926342

>>33926225
More aggressively pursue kiddy-diddlers in the church and curb the anti-gay preaching, particularly in devleoping countries.

More importantly, if the Pope can't actually DO anything, why do people keep jizzing their pants over him? One figurehead isn't that much better than the other.

>> No.33926347

>>33926040
Pascal's wager, in its classical form, is an oversimplification but that doesn't prevent the same principle from being broadly applicable. And although there's many religions, there's only one Abrahamic God, with differences according to sub-religion, and a handful of faiths that do not generally follow the same principles and which, in many cases, allow you to "hedge your bets" by living up to those ideals without forfeiting an Abrahamic faith.

>> No.33926351

I play Space Wolves and am not a furry. Go figure.

>> No.33926357
File: 105 KB, 1280x1452, tumblr_mvlej8Qk4Q1qa2la0o1_1280.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33926357

>>33926338

>> No.33926360

>>33926286

Dumbass, if I-hate-religion god is in charge, Christians are in trouble while atheists are alright. And you can't prove that I-hate-religion god isn't in charge. Which is the entire fucking point. That's why people don't believe in religious bullshit.

>> No.33926382

>>33926286
>Pascal's Wager was formulated in a Christian context
It also wasn't meant to be serious, but is obviously being used as a model and extrapolated upon here in a more universalizing fashion.

>If Christians are right, atheists are in trouble while Christians are saved.
And if neither are right, and it turns out that the Cheese Sandwich decided that belief doesn't matter and it's just people with lisps that get into heaven? Then, the discussion was moot.

At which point we realize that the wager is silly in the first place.

>> No.33926396

>>33926225
Excommunicate the mafia maybe? Oh wait, he did that.

>> No.33926413

>>33925004
Agreed.

Now Nurgle on the other hand, no neckbeards or filthy casuals worshiping him!

>> No.33926436

>>33926260
>Christians ... all their psychotic hatred.
In case anyone was still wondering what a fedora master was, this young gentleman has decided to give us a perfect example.

>> No.33926454

>>33926347
>"hedge your bets" by living up to those ideals without forfeiting an Abrahamic faith.
This makes the assumption that number of followers is a valid criterion for determining the chance (if any) of a religion being "right," and also assumes that a Christian god wouldn't toss Jews and Muslims into hell, or the Muslim one to the same to Jews and Christians. And if Judaism is right heaven isn't for people anyway.

>> No.33926460

>>33925039
>BAHHLLLS OFV STEEEEEEHL

>> No.33926472

>>33926460
LINDSAAAAAAY

>> No.33926487

>>33924885
I like fedoras, when did they become used solely by spastics, neckbeards and edgemeisters?

>> No.33926493

>>33926360
>And you can't prove that I-hate-religion god isn't in charge.
Unless you take any of the religious texts, experiences, visions, and other interactions with God into account, in which case you don't find any messages (as far as I'm aware) that says that I-hate-religion-God exists. You're creating a vision of God that's wildly incompatible with everything humans have reported about God (even faiths like Theravada Buddhists don't have someone who punishes religion specifically).

>> No.33926522

>>33926342
The Pope essentially leads by example, and the new guy is setting the best possible example. He's cracked down on corruption in the church, he's publicly stated that Christians should be cool to the gays instead of being douchebags, he sneaks out at night to go offer aid to the poor, and his general stance on everything seems to be "be excellent to each other"

Dude's a pretty fuckin' legit Pope.

>> No.33926528
File: 602 KB, 770x1050, Sonichu.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33926528

>>33926472
JULAAAY

>> No.33926533

>>33926347
>without forfeiting an Abrahamic faith.
does not god explicitly says in the old testament he is a "jealous god"? did he not punish the people during the exodus because of the whole idol they made while Moses was receiving instructions?
i don't think you can do Abrahamic faith while doing any other, most religions at their core force you to recognize the existence of their gods and their patronage, while Yaveh is very strict on doing such things

>> No.33926534

>>33926487
Some militant atheist dude made a video wearing a fedora spouting shit. Reddit found the video. Turned it into this shitty meme.

>> No.33926560 [SPOILER] 
File: 20 KB, 500x367, 1407298234500.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33926560

>>33926487
Sometime between The Last Crusade and now.

>>33926413
Bah, Nurgle is by far the most active Chaos god in recruiting casuals. He's very catchy.

>> No.33926571

>>33926493
the problem is, the Pascal experiment does not exclude the possibility of humanity having been dead wrong about divinity all this time

>> No.33926584

>>33926396
Really?

>> No.33926585

>>33926357
>it's wearing a spur
Cute.

>> No.33926608

>>33926225
Release an album

It has to have Ain't No Mountain High Enough

>> No.33926626

>>33926522
And yet the kiddy-diddling, the most important issue, has largely remained unaddressed.

>> No.33926630

>>33926560
Pft. Knorne and Tzeentch are way more appealing to the masses. Nurgle is probably 3rd.

>> No.33926633

>>33926533
>most religions at their core force you to recognize the existence of their gods and their patronage
"Most" being Christianity, Judaism, and Islam? Because those are about the only ones I can think of which do so.

>> No.33926635

>>33926493
>You're creating a vision of God that's wildly incompatible with everything humans have reported about God
And you're making the claim that a particular instance of religious literature is correct (even when we don't know which one) when it can be inferred that at least 99.9999999%, if not all of it, is false. It also makes the assumption that a religious text merely existing mankind is prima facie evidence of its truthfulness, when it could be argued that this book existing makes it no more real than a Tom Clancy book does.

>> No.33926637

>>33926534
But the same maladjusted people continue to wear them and think they look cool. They clearly have access to the internet how do they not realize they just look stupid?

>> No.33926643

>>33926534
I could have sworn it was some /r/atheist kiddie with the "in this moment I am euphoric" quote that started it.

>> No.33926653

>>33926626
actually, condemning the corruption within the church is an important step to take before addressing the pedophilia, otherwise any measures would have no effect

>> No.33926659

>>33926584
Yes. Google it.

>> No.33926661

>>33926635
>mankind
this word should have been pruned i was phrasing it a different way initially

>> No.33926668

>>33926493
>people who want to believe in god have magical experiences where they encounter god, while people who don't believe in god don't have experiences with any gods

Now think hard. I mean it, really sit down and puzzle over this for a moment. If you have to turn to less and less convincing arguments every time your premise experiences a serious challenge, should you really be holding onto that premise?

>> No.33926723

>>33926659
Shit I didn't think the pope could excommunicate people anymore. He should hit that bumblefuck family in america next. You know the one, they have the pickets.

>> No.33926741

>>33926723
They aren't Catholic.
Some would argue WBC aren't even Christian

>> No.33926755

>>33926723
They're not Catholic, so I don't think it would do much.

>> No.33926756

>>33926741
Some would say they're not even true Scotsmen.

>> No.33926797

>>33926723
I almost forgot their founder died this year. They asked for people to not picket his funeral, of course. And people were planning to do that especially because of that remark.

>> No.33926800

>>33926633
I don't think Egypt's ancient religion allows you to not acknowledge the existence of Horus and his patronage as the sky god
I don't think ancient mesoamerican faith allows you to disregard the existence of Huitzilopochtli and his importance
I don't think Japanese animism allows you to not pay proper respect to the spirit within all things and acknowledge their existence
But Abrahamic faith condemns doing such things, if the Abrahamic God is TheGod you cannot be loosey goosey in your wager

>> No.33926811

>>33926756
There has to be a point on a sliding scale at which "variant" becomes "new religion", otherwise Christians would be called Unorthodox Jews.

>> No.33926816

>>33926756
Does the True Scotsman fallacy apply when there are established sects?

>> No.33926820

>>33926626
It hasn't, though. One of the first things he did after becoming pope was saying that it was a serious problem that needs to be addressed. He's told the bishops of the church they need to get their shit together.

>> No.33926828

>>33926723
They're not Catholic, so telling them that they're in the bad graces of Mother Church won't do anything.

>>33926635
I was saying it not about any specific piece of religious literature, but of religious literature as a whole and how it relates to the concept of a religion-hating God. I don't believe the concept has ever seriously been espoused, so trusting in that to be the case (because that's what the Wager is about: trusting that a given outcome is true) seems like long odds.

>> No.33926870

>>33926741
>>33926755
>>33926797
>>33926828
I keep forgetting most Americans aren't catholic.

>> No.33926873

>>33926816
Or when every actual Scotsman gets together and says, "These aren't Scottish people, we're revoking their citizenship and throwing them out of Scotland", so they float around in a boat in the Hebrides and shout that they're the real Scotland?

>> No.33926880

>>33926828
>I don't believe the concept has ever seriously been espoused, so trusting in that to be the case (because that's what the Wager is about: trusting that a given outcome is true) seems like long odds.
It boils down to argumentum ad populum though, that because people are writing more about *this*, more of them believe in something like *this*, it's more likely to be *the one*. The choice is still a blind one, as we have no idea what makes a religion more or less likely to be correct, since we do not have a model to work from.

>> No.33926889

>>33926811
As far as I'm concerned, they've always been a Jewish cult. They're like the Jehova's Witnesses except older.

>>33926816
Maybe, except protestantism is nothing but a giant clusterfuck of "established sects". You can have fourteen sects of the same denomination all located in the same bumfuck town in Alabama.

>> No.33926904

>>33926873
At which point they're the only true Scotsmen left.

>> No.33926924

>>33926797
Theres going to be more people picketing then actually attending the funeral if there is any good in the world.

>> No.33926931

>>33926828
>the concept has ever seriously been espoused
the problem with that is that even when Pascal's original proposition is coherent (make the wager where you lose less and possibly even win more) he has no way within his framework to affirm that The God or whatever authority which rules the universe has actually been described by some human religion, so the argument of "The God has to fit into one of the known religions" is not tenable, not any more than affirming god exists or not

>> No.33926942

>>33926889
>As far as I'm concerned, they've always been a Jewish cult. They're like the Jehova's Witnesses except older.
Eh, it's semantics in the end, then.

>> No.33926954

>>33926870
That's changing with Mexican immigration.

>> No.33926989

>>33926954
Luckily I like tacos.

>> No.33926997

>>33926942
Congratulations, you've cracked the code. Discovered the hidden truth. Religion: It's all semantics in the end.

>> No.33927034

>>33926954
Sweet. Maybe Spanish will be their official language in a few years. Wait shit does that mean I have to learn Spanish to watch their movies?

>> No.33927058

>>33927034
You pick it up faster than you think watching them.

>> No.33927089

>>33927034
look at Europe, they have official languages but keep many dialects, same in chine
heck, i am sure the reason the notion of local dialects is not common knowledge in murrika is because the country is relatively new and you killed most of the native (of which some probably speak navajo and the like)
in the future future maybe some derived forms of spanish and espanglish will be used in some states while 100% american english variations will be used in other parts of the country

>> No.33927103

>>33927034
No, immigrants are switching to English very quickly, usually in a single generation.

>> No.33927111

>>33926880
>It boils down to argumentum ad populum though, that because people are writing more about *this*, more of them believe in something like *this*, it's more likely to be *the one*.

Not exactly a blind choice. You're taking the data and deciding whether or not to accept the few similar points in it (or in this case, just one: that there is no evidence for a religion-hating God), or disregarding the data and declaring it a blind choice. It's not saying "This is popular so it must be true", it's "Everything is pointed in this direction, so it seems more likely to be true".

In any case, I still think you're asking a lot of poor Pascal. It's not a rigorous theological argument, but a humorous way of making a point. It doesn't account for other religions because, well, it just doesn't.

>> No.33927143

>>33927089
you see a little franglais in Louisiana and, less commonly, in the northeast, and run into some pidgin in Hawaii, to say nothing of Puerto Rico/Guam/Phillipines

>> No.33927147

>>33927089
Unlikely, dialectal variation is decreasing a lot due to modern media. So's linguistic variation - a hundred years ago, almost everyone was monolingual, now everyone educated speaks English, and only two (fairly similar) dialects of it are considered "proper".

>> No.33927154

>>33927089
>Refers to both America and Europe as foreign entities
>Uses Chine instead of China

Where are you from, Francophone?

>> No.33927177

>>33927111
We don't ask for anything from Pascal. Atheists aren't the ones who bring that stupid argument up. Inevitably, it's invoked with complete seriousness by dumbass Christians who think they've struck upon a clever point. And then they're shocked to discover that no, there's actually a reason why nobody buys that argument.

>> No.33927191

>>33924885
Caring what fictional army other people like enough to start a thread about it - makes you a fedorafag.

>> No.33927210

>>33927111
>there is no evidence for a religion-hating God
>there is no evidence for God either
>neither the affirmation of existence of a god or the negation of its existence can be defended
>neither can the affirmation of existence of the proposed antiReligion God nor the negation of its existence can be defended
you cannot defend the existence of well-know Christian God over the existence of made-up 5-minutes-ago AntiReligion God
>>33927111
>well, it just doesn't.
indeed, his argument is leaky when you consider the possibility of the universal authority residing in a being completely unknown to human religions

>> No.33927218

>>33927177
I didn't mean "you" as in atheists, but "you" as in the individual or individuals in this thread who keep mentioning the fact that he didn't account for non-Christian religion.

>> No.33927226

>>33927089
Man I'm from Ireland I know all about local dialects. We got like four types of Irish and hardly anyone knows how to speak any of them, never mind the accents. Sometimes I have to take a couple minutes to make sure people aren't speaking a different language.

>> No.33927233

>>33927111
>"Everything is pointed in this direction, so it seems more likely to be true".
At which point we've arrived at epistemological discussion on what we can "know," and we can pretty much stop.

>In any case, I still think you're asking a lot of poor Pascal. It's not a rigorous theological argument, but a humorous way of making a point. It doesn't account for other religions because, well, it just doesn't.
Agree 100%, it's a thought experiment.

>> No.33927239

>>33927147
ebonics is a thing

>> No.33927262

>>33927154
no, chine was an error, sorry

>> No.33927290

>>33927103
A fundamental difference between North American and European immigration is degree of assimilation, and I've noticed many of the eurofags I know are unaware of this disparity when comparing the two.

>> No.33927295

>>33927226
Catalunya in Spain seems to be "serious business" about its dialect

>> No.33927302

>>33927239
Ebonics isn't really regional, it's kept alive by self-segregation and economic barriers. And it's counter to the general trend.

>> No.33927327
File: 171 KB, 636x1202, 1380483136568.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33927327

I play chaos for the bitches

>> No.33927329

>>33927290
Which assimilates more? Elaborate.

>> No.33927355

>>33927295
Catalan is a full-on language in its own right, and they consider it a point of ethnic pride. Partially because it was oppressed under Franco.

>> No.33927370

>>33926055
those 50 kajillion other religion also have gods.

>> No.33927394

>>33927370
Atheistic variants of Buddhism have already been discussed in this thread, anon. Please try to keep up.

>> No.33927399

>>33926133
no the aztecs worked the same way. they ramped it up near the end, but they did the same as the other mesoamericans

>> No.33927420

>>33927295
Thats probably because most of them can actually speak their language. What are we going to do anyway? try to form a separate nation when there is already less people in the entire country then a large city elsewhere?

>> No.33927444

>>33927420
>a separate nation
>not claim Mars
you are small time

>> No.33927448

>>33927329
Self-segregation, resistance to conforming to common standards of dress, and lack of learning the language, for instance, are more common in europe. This is part of the reason you'll see cries of Muslims taking over Scandinavia on /int/ and /pol/. A recent decision to start forcing immigrants to Holland to learn Dutch was met with a much greater outcry than you'd probably see in the US, who would be less expected to accommodate someone who exclusively spoke Hunanese/

>> No.33927568

>>33927444
Yes clearly what we should do is lay a claim to mars when are most powerful means of transportation are jumbo jets. We hardly even have helicopters. The most surprising thing I learnt all year was that we actually have planes that we can mount weapons on.

>> No.33927582

>>33927448
>Self-segregation,
We have tons of that in the US. It's normal for neighborhoods to be monoethnic.
>resistance to conforming to common standards of dress,
Happens here too. I see muslim girls in the head coverings all the time.
>and lack of learning the language, for instance,
Shit's tough. We actually have a hard time getting kids properly educated in our schools and students that come into the school system not fully proficient in English statistically have way lower chances of graduating and going to college. We also have tons English classes for adults put on by private organizations, and a lot of churches offer them for free.
>A recent decision to start forcing immigrants to Holland to learn Dutch
Well, it's silly because it's redundant. If they're in the Netherlands and stay there and use the schools, they'll learn the language in a generation or two anyway. It's only themselves that are disadvantaged by not knowing it.
>who would be less expected to accommodate someone who exclusively spoke Hunanese/
We go way out of our way to accommodate all kinds of special needs including language issues. That's just being kind.

>> No.33927630
File: 747 KB, 1020x746, 1398177014307.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33927630

>>33926225
Reform the militant orders and declare a Crusade against the evil that is Islam.

That and Protestants, because we haven't had a good scrap with the idolators in a few centuries now, and it's something of a cultural tradition to fuck up the French.

>> No.33927660

>>33927582
I'm not sure who or what you're arguing against if anything, but as a Britfag with time in the US, the whole attitude toward immigration is way different and painfully obvious on either side.

>> No.33927673

>>33926608
What about hooked on a feeling?

>> No.33927676

>>33927630
>Protestants
>idolaters
Oh, is it the protestants that make graven images of the lord and "saints" to pray to? And here I thought it was the Paulites.

>> No.33927686

>>33927582
head coverings is different, thats a religious thing. hes talking about thwabs and stuff

>> No.33927703

>>33926608
>>33927673

Star-lord pls go

>> No.33927713

>>33927676
It's Protestants who worship the Bible and call it the Word (Logos, which is Christ). Catholicism has its own problems, but saints aren't worshiped.

>> No.33927718

>>33927676
>not venerating the saints

protestants are heretics

>> No.33927721
File: 52 KB, 526x720, 1395016397553.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33927721

>>33927676

>> No.33927749

>>33927713
>call it the Word (Logos, which is Christ)
That's not a protestant doctrine.
>saints aren't worshiped.
Is that why you make idols of them?

Not to mention regularly doing the one thing that Jesus lost his temper over in the bible.

>> No.33927750

>>33927713
>saints aren't worshiped
If you think saints aren't prayed to I don't think you've met a Mexican in your life.

>> No.33927816

>>33927750
both churches have people doing things that are against the core of their doctrines
from protestants who defend their prejudice against whomever they don't like in the bible to catholics who have syncretized all sorts of things into their daily practice

>> No.33927834

>>33927713
>saints aren't worshiped.
>I'll just make a statue of this guy, tell stories about how fucking awesome and holy he was, and then kneel down in front of him and pray to him. That's not worship and idolatry, of course, just like this statue isn't an idol even though it's literally a graven image.

>> No.33927854

>>33927816
That's why the only true church is my particular branch of protestantism that doesn't do anything wrong.

>> No.33927870

>>33927854
except it does everything wrong

>> No.33927891

>>33927870
No it doesn't. I bet you're not even a real Christian.

>> No.33927904

>>33927448

Woah what? You don't have to learn the native language in some European countries? In Canada you must earn your fluency certificate in either English or French before you can get citizenship. Citizenship through marriage is the only exception I think for foreigners.

>> No.33927941

>>33927904
You don't have to in the US either, for any particular legal reason. People just speak English because money speaks English.

>> No.33927952

>>33927904
>You don't have to learn the native language in some European countries?
In quite a few you don't have to, I believe.

>> No.33927959

>>33927676
No no no, I am Protestant. I want the Pope to call a crusade ala the counter-reformation so we can get into it with the Papists. Does no one else want the 30 years war version 2.0? Now with 100% more ethnic cleansing!

>> No.33927960

>>33927891
I bet you don't even know what Christianity is.

>> No.33927991

>>33927941
>You don't have to in the US either, for any particular legal reason.
The main one being that there is no official language, though I think some states set one

>> No.33927995

>>33927959
That's edgy as hell. Are you sure you aren't a fedora?

>> No.33927997
File: 68 KB, 324x208, 1402193260355.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33927997

>>33924885

>> No.33928036

>>33927582
>Happens here too. I see muslim girls in the head coverings all the time.

That's religious, not cultural.

>> No.33928066

>>33928036
>>33927686
Well, Sikhs also wear their turbans.

>> No.33928094

>>33924885
So op, how goes guaranteed reply week right before highschool starts back up?

>> No.33928136

>>33928066
and? the point is they're commanded to keep it on, it's not a matter of choice from within the framework of a practicing worshiper, though there's obvious overlap between culture and religion

>> No.33928172

>>33928094
>230 posts
OP should sell his bait recipes.

>> No.33928204

>>33927995
I used to be, actually, back before fedora was a thing in the year of our lord 2005. Thankfully I managed to tone down my fedoracore tendencies and was baptized into the United Church of Canada three years ago now.

Honestly, when I was deciding on what church to join I really wanted to go Roman Catholic, they have by far the coolest history out of any of the various Christian denominations, but I chose Methodism because fuck Calvanism and clerical intercession. That said, if they restarted a militant order I would probably convert back, because no one right now outside of a few movements in Africa has a military organization dedicated to defending Christianity and Christians.

>> No.33928214

>>33928172
Think he might be the guy who has been trying to dig under the skin of the wh 40k lore fags. This time he perfected it, even used the most effective picture he could find.

>> No.33928299

>>33927329
Funnily enough, America, by being "culturally insensitive" is much better at...digesting immigrants. Europe has been way too understanding and cautious, allowing immegrant communities to make their own schools or claim religious exception to laws.

Oh, plus, we don't have a native culture that we're incredibly protective of the way, say, france does. The french are kind of secretly glad that all their immegrants refuse to integrate; otherwise they'd be courrupting frenchness with their unsophisticated foreign ways.

>>33927582
You think that just because america has problems, and america must be inferior to Europe in every way, that europe's problems are less bad than ours. They're not. Our immegrants don't even wind up that poor compared to our native black people.

That muslim girl with the headscarf? If someone finds out she took it off in public, she'll get a stern-talking-to from her old-fashioned dad. Her european equivalent? Murdered with a rock.

I'm being hyperbolic here, but not by much.

Admittedly, one reason is that we tend to attract the "best" immegrants, or people from more advanced countries, who come here to get an education or start a buisness. Many of europe's immegrants are refugees from shitholes who are only there to work, and probably imagine that one day, they'll return to the old country, one day, to raise their children in a wholesome place free of secular christian pigdogs, where people are stoned to death for minor crimes, like any sensible society would do.

>> No.33928310

>>33928204
treating religions in the similar manner to pairs of pants you try on and swap comes across as rather insincere to me, as I always felt that it should be something you should just "know." but I've never exactly had an epiphany so I can't speak from experience

>> No.33928340
File: 46 KB, 468x484, elpresidente.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33928340

>>33927854
>That's why the only true church is my particular branch of protestantism that doesn't do anything wrong.

Fuck'n Saved.

>> No.33928352

>>33928299
>Admittedly, one reason is that we tend to attract the "best" immegrants, or people from more advanced countries, who come here to get an education or start a buisness. Many of europe's immegrants are refugees from shitholes who are only there to work, and probably imagine that one day, they'll return to the old country, one day, to raise their children in a wholesome place free of secular christian pigdogs, where people are stoned to death for minor crimes, like any sensible society would do.

I think this is the big cultural divide between immigrants in the US and Europe. US ones consider themselves more permanent, and have incentive to assimilate. European ones are more likely to assume that they'll translocate back to ye olde country, even if it takes a couple of generations.

>> No.33928399

>>33928310
I was raised Atheist, so I didn't really have a predescribed religion to adhere to, I had to find it on my own. I'm the only religious member of my family.

>> No.33928406

>>33928310
Welcome to america. Dude's odd in that he manged to go from fedoracore to picking a church like a pair of pants.

People who escape from fedoracore just manage to be less irritating atheists. Since, you know, the only thing dumber than being fedoracore is actually being religious.

Sometimes I wish that I could tolerate going to church. I hear that lots of girls do churchy crap. But then I remember that church is incredibly stupid and boring, and any women there would treat me exactly like women do everywhere else.

>> No.33928444

>>33928299
>allowing immegrant communities to make their own schools
That's allowed in the US. Lots of immigrant communities have their own schools.
>or claim religious exception to laws.
Religious freedom is guaranteed in the US and policies that don't allow for it are struck down if taken to court. That's why Sikhs are allowed to wear their knives in all public places, even though normally all primary and secondary schools prohibit all weapons including knives.

>Murdered with a rock.
This isn't even super common in the fundamentalist countries they're coming from, much less places with rule of law.

>> No.33928480

>>33928406
>the only thing dumber than being fedoracore is actually being religious.
>But then I remember that church is incredibly stupid and boring
Fedoramaster in denial detected.

>> No.33928485

>>33928406
>Dude's odd in that he manged to go from fedoracore to picking a church like a pair of pants.
It's more common than you might think for people raised in irreligious households attempting to find religion, as they have no frame of reference.

>> No.33928498

>>33928399
Ah, evidence for my theory that atheist parents should put their children through basic religious instruction, ideally catholic sunday-school. There's no better way to engender the proliferation of atheism than complsive religious education.

If the kid grows up without being innoculated against religion, they might encounter it later in life, and if its a particularly touchy-feely brand or they're particularly stupid, they might think "gee, this is really fresh and interesting. Why didn't anyone tell me about this before."

The proper atheistic mindset requires you to have been personally wronged by religion in some petty way at some point in your life.

>> No.33928533

>>33928498
>The proper atheistic mindset requires you to have been personally wronged by religion in some petty way at some point in your life.
Eh if that were particularly effective no one coming out of a Catholic school would ever enter a church again.

>> No.33928535

>>33928498
wat

>> No.33928539

>>33928480
I had to remember that church was boring. If i was fedoracore, I would have thought it this morning as part of my daily mantra.

>> No.33928545

>>33928498
Protip: If you have to indoctrinate people in your ideology, it's probably bullshit. Let your kids find religion, perhaps they'll get closer to the truth than you do.

>> No.33928563
File: 11 KB, 424x335, joke.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33928563

>>33928545

>> No.33928579

>>33925782
I once got called a fedora for saying that I was an atheist who thought it was stupid to be an atheist in D&D style fantasy worlds.

>> No.33928581

>>33928539
>I'm not a ridiculously exaggerated stereotype, I'm just the sort of person it's supposed to attack.
I'd advise against paying lip service to them.

>> No.33928589

>>33928498
>The proper atheistic mindset requires you to have been personally wronged by religion
In other words,
"people will only naturally be atheist if you associated faith with something negative". Why not just force them to watch videos while on a drug that makes them feel horrible? There was a movie where that worked.

>> No.33928590

>>33928579
fedoraception

>> No.33928600

>>33928533
By the numbers, they generally don't, unless they're black, and in africa.

>> No.33928612

>>33928589
>There was a movie where that worked.
Except it didn't, he became nonfunctional as a member of society.

>> No.33928641

>>33928612
He already was nonfunctional as a member of society. There was no point where this wasn't the case.

>> No.33928661

>>33928612
So, much like your average atheist.

>> No.33928672

>>33928641
>There was no point where this wasn't the case.
The 21st chapter, after the procedure is undone.

>> No.33928710

I'm have nothing against religions, they are after all influenceable part of our History and should be preserved and cherished as our cultural heritage, for they played their part in bringing us where we are today.
I simply want to eliminate all religious, all superstitious, all agnostics, all the cretins out there.

Thankfully they'll never become cybernetic monstrosities cut off from the touch of G-d and conveniently have to stay on planets, which RKVs would mysteriously impact ( after sample of each species on said planet have been procured for reintroduction ).

>> No.33928723

>>33928710
That post took me on a ride.

>> No.33928730

>>33928672
I only watched the movie so I didn't see that.

>> No.33928745

>>33928545
I see your reflexes were not swift enough to catch that thing that flew over your head.

Regardless,

Religion is very, very well-adapted to spreading itself. It appeals to people from numerous directions. Its a disease, like chicken pox; its better to get through it when you're young, otherwise it might hit you later in life and fuck up your shit right hard.

Atheism seems to only properly spread when people get fed up with obnoxious religion. But I've never seen quite what its like in scandinavia, where apparently everyone is atheist just because.

And based on Britain, stupid people who give up on religion instead just believe in ghosts and crystals and such. Which is even dumber.

>> No.33928749

>>33928498
This is the sort of people that deserve to die, people ruled by their emotions, being atheist because the big world is meany boohoofuckinghoo.

I have you believe in new age crap or ghost or whatever other bullshit.

>> No.33928754

Is liking the Salamanders fedora?

>> No.33928757

>>33928730
To be fair he isn't reformed per se but he gets the idea that, "Oh shit this probably isn't a good idea anymore."

>> No.33928760

>>33928710
>all agnostics
Why?

>> No.33928780

>>33928745
>your reflexes were not swift enough
People are gonna be referencing this shit as much as fucking Mean Girls or Monte Python, aren't they?

>> No.33928791

>>33928760
He said he wants to kill billions of people and destroy planets, and that's your nitpick?

>> No.33928845

>>33928745
>But I've never seen quite what its like in scandinavia, where apparently everyone is atheist just because.
Really, people are more agnostic and just don't value religion, they still go to church three times in their lives.

And some people are actually Asatru just because.

>> No.33928847

>>33928760
Intellectual dishonesty.
They're annoying.

>> No.33928865

>>33928791
Well yeah, those are all logical and internally consistent goals.

>> No.33928886

>>33928847
To know that something is inherently unknowable is intellectually dishonest? It's one of the basic fundaments of the scientific method.

>> No.33928903

>>33928886
That sounds more like ignosticism

>> No.33928904

>>33928749
That's some right-proper composition you've got there. new age crap is crap.

When I say wronged by religion in some petty way, I mean something like your parents taking away your harry potter books because they're the devil, or being told to sit down and shut up at sunday school when you asked about dinosaurs or fossils or whatever. Or just being around a bunch of "religiously active" young people who's religion somehow didn't manage to stop them from being the cruel, crude shitheads that young people typically are.

I guess the point is that you TRIED religion, and it just didn't magically fit you the way it seemed to do everyone else, and you suffered some minor discomfort because of that.

Eventually you get over your adolescent angst over your shitty high school experience, but that doesn't magically make religion not dumb and boring.

>> No.33928911

>>33928847
SO only gnostic atheists remain? People who believe on faith that there is and can be no god?

>> No.33928951

>>33928498
Did you miss the part where I said I was previously fedora core atheist? And actually, my choice in becoming religious partially stems from my previous atheism.

Here's a synopsis.

So science is about building models that accurately explain and predict the behaviour of natural process correct? Well if you take that thinking to the extreme, you come across the potential that someone could write a program of the natural laws, input the current state of the system, and be able to predict the state of that system at any point along its life. Thus proving that free will is impossible, and that everything is predetermined. Now the only way to have free will in tandem with science is for some entity to constantly interfere with the laws of nature and make them either unpredictable or actually alter how they act. (People with whom I have shared this line of thinking seem to think this means quantum decay.) Resulting in each of us having a semi-solipsistic existance, because an external force is altering reality so that we can actually "choose." So I figured that if free will demands an outside force, you may as well call it God, and I was most familiar with Christianity, so I chose to look into those faiths, and eventually settled on Methodism. The reason being it the religion of my only religious relative, my grandmother, and it ascribed to Arianism. The methodist church in Canada is also the most accepting of the major denominations in Canada. So it all worked out in the end.

TL;DR, God is another word for quantum decay and the possibility for true or actual chance/randomness.

>> No.33928952

>>33928780
I wasn't aware mean girls was ever referenced by anyone other than teenage girls 3 months after it came out, but yes, Guardians has a lot of quotable lines in it. Its a sci-fi action comedy that's full of talented actors and smart writing. I really fail to see how you could expect a better movie than that.

>> No.33928974

>>33928903
You've got your definitions messed up. Ignosticism is just theological noncognitivism and pertains to the meaning of words.

>> No.33928986

>>33928952
>I wasn't aware mean girls was ever referenced by anyone other than teenage girls 3 months after it came out
You haven't heard people talking about shit being fetch, or "get in the car loser, we're [doing X]" or any of that shit? Because it's not rare.

>> No.33929008
File: 210 KB, 480x502, techprêtre2.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33929008

>>33928911
All atheists are agnostic atheists.
Agnostics are ones in fact. But they're really really annoying, because while their reasoning is technically valid, they miss the point so hard it makes me want to protect a 10km3 asteroid at a significant fraction of c on their face.

>> No.33929031

>>33928951
...That was Matrix-tier pseudo-intellectual tripe, good sir. You were better off fedoracore. I'm fascinated that the truth of jebus' teachings is probed by quantum decay.

Enjoy your rejection of Calvinism; Canadian flavor.

Do you even have a girlfriend that you met through your church? Or a job gained through a connection made there? Because otherwise, I'm not seeing the percentage for you.

>> No.33929064

>>33929008
*project

>> No.33929075

>>33928986
I've heard "get in the car losers," didn't know it was from that movie.

Never heard about shit being fetch. In my friend group, we'd say "the tits" or "This shit will get you laid," or "Shiny" if we were trying to be hideously twee.

>> No.33929094

>>33929031

Meh, think of it what you will. That was just the reasoning that went through my head at the time. And I did end up getting a job because I was Christian, though the employer was Catholic.

I didn't get baptised so that I could hit on chicks and stack cheddar to the ceiling.

>> No.33929103

>>33928952
Both have been quoted for quite a while later by a specific subcultural group, while being largely dropped by the majority of folks.

>> No.33929124

>>33929008
>All atheists are agnostic atheists.
Except fedoramasters.

>> No.33929134

>>33929031
Secondly, fuck you too bro. At least I tithe, so I put my money where my mouth is.

>> No.33929151

>>33929124
Gnostic atheists are a subset of my "cretins" category.

>> No.33929197

>>33929151
So then, there's nobody left.
'course, that was probably true just by adding "superstitious" to the lot.

>> No.33929208

>>33928951
>Thus proving that free will is impossible, and that everything is predetermined.
What is free will to you, though? What exactly are you disproving? Humans make decisions based on logic, perception, and emotion; where does free will enter the equation?

>Now the only way to have free will in tandem with science is for some entity to constantly interfere with the laws of nature
Problem: wouldn't such an entity behave according to "laws" of its own?

>TL;DR, God is another word for quantum decay and the possibility for true or actual chance/randomness.
That's a misleading usage of the term. God is virtually always thought of as a distinct, sentient entity who has power over some aspects of the universe. Why use it to refer to quantum decay?

>> No.33929221
File: 73 KB, 418x467, i respect you very much.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33929221

>>33928951
>quantum mechanics therefore the bible is The Word Of God
You know what's funny ?
That's far from the first time i hear this line of reasoning.

>> No.33929260

>>33929134
Yes, you throw 1/10th of your income in the toilet. this makes you a better person than me.

Who the fuck TITHES? Jebus, that's an expensive religion you've got there. The only more-expensive ones than that are the actual fucking scam ones.

>> No.33929279

>>33926626
>implying the catholic church isn't positioning itself to be at the pedosexual movement of 2052.
They are playing the long game, anon.

>> No.33929303

>>33929197
Nah, there's plenty decent people out there, don't lose your faith in Humanity, don't give up on her.
She's worth fighting for.

>> No.33929308

>>33929221
Gee, how did we ever know the truth of god's new testament before quantum mechanics was invented by a jewish atheist/deist?

>> No.33929325
File: 113 KB, 344x439, .jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33929325

>>33924885
DICKS FOR THE DICK GOD!
BOOBS FOR THE BOOB THRONE!

>> No.33929339

>>33929221
it belong into the greater category of "Quantum mechanics therefore anything"

>> No.33929361

>>33929075
You probably missed a fuckton of references then. Have you ever even seen it?
At least read the IMDB quotes list or something.

>> No.33929387

>>33929260
A lot of people tithe to the government.

>> No.33929400

>>33929221
To be fair, I recognise that my choice of the Abrahamic God is not the only true choice to come out of that line of thinking. It could just as readily be ascribed a plethora of deities, I simply chose Christianity because that was what I was familiar with and it aligned with my values the most.

>>33929208

Free will is the notion that my choices are my own and not predestined. For example, when you roll a d6 the general consensus is the result is random, but you can actually model the throw based on the physical properties of the die, surface that is being rolled on, and the force and angle of the throw. Therefore the result isn't actually random, and given a certain pre-throw configuration, you will only ever get one result. So free will is the ability to have a different outcome from the same starting configuration.

>>33929260
I didn't bring up the fact that I tithe to imply that I'm better than you, it was to show that I am least making an effort at internal consistency and sincerity.

>> No.33929455

>>33929400
By being 10% behind everyone else on the money wagon. Well done, sir.

You might not have been told this, for obvious reasons, but other religions exist where you're not expected to "tithe."

>>33929387
That's literally mandatory, like how religion isn't. Also, its not a tithe, because it depends on what tax bracket you fit into.

A tithe is literally 1/10th of your income.

>> No.33929495

>>33929400
The universe being deterministic or not have nothing to do with free will.
You are your brain, the brain is based on the physical laws, your actions are predetermined or random.
Nowhere is there a choice in there.


Free will is fundamentally a theological argument because free will always imply a soul.
And people bringing it up are invariably religious.
Or superstitious.
Or agnostics.
Fuck future come quicker.

>> No.33929503
File: 175 KB, 640x960, 640px-Zürich_-_Kunsthaus_-_Rodin's_Höllentor_IMG_7384_ShiftN.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33929503

>>33929208
>God is virtually always thought of as a distinct, sentient entity who has power over some aspects of the universe. Why use it to refer to quantum decay?
Culture and humoring oneself is my guess.
"God" being labeled as a near unpredictable/unstable process as well as the aspect of True Entropy, would lead to quite an interesting culture/religion that I would like to see.

Just imagine the equivalent of the Sistine Chapel paintings or Zürich's Gates of Hell

>> No.33929539
File: 49 KB, 409x300, drax.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33929539

I made a thing. It could be better, but you get the idea.

You're welcome, internet.

>> No.33929639

>>33929455
If money mattered so much to me, or if I simply wanted a religion that maximised the amount of pleasure I achieve in this life time, I would be worshipping Slaanesh, not a dead Jew who advocated voluntary poverty.

>>33929495
I apologize for my inability to convey clarity, it's sometimes hard to put these thoughts into externally coherent words. Not sure what else to say to you at this point.

>>33929503
Yeah it's a pretty interesting thought experiment at the very least. though you know, a being that is "near unpredictable/unstable process as well as the aspect of True Entropy" sounds an awful lot like either the Chaos Gods or Sithis from TES when you describe it like that.

>> No.33929724

>>33929400
>Free will is the notion that my choices are my own and not predestined.
A person's choices are all based on analyzing his situation, discovering which option seems better for him, and selecting that option. There are several factors, such as his perception, analytical abilities, reasoning abilities, desires, emotions and self-control, but it's all causative. A person's choices are "his own" as much as anything, but nothing about a person comes from nowhere.

>> No.33929753

Being religious isn't part of the fedora meme outside of 4chan because 4chan is the only place on the Internet that turned to Christianity exclusively out of contrarianism. In the mainstream, annoying nerds are still smug atheists. Though I'd say that very contrarianism isn't far off from actual fedora smugness.

On the other hand, a fedora typically has somewhat conservative views, so the confusion is understandable.

And concerning the white knight/anti-feminist aspect... The telling thing is the ignorance and self-labelling. "I'm the supreme gentleman even though girls won't talk to me". The stereotypical fedora is the true white knight early in his life because he defends women just to gain imaginary favors and do a 180° when he see that it doesn't work.

>> No.33929764

>>33929639
I think it's more about the concept itself than your ability to convey it. It's a pretty vague idea. If you think about how decision-making actually works, which part of the process is the free will?

>> No.33929810

>>33929639
Since you picked out your religion like a pair of pants, you must fundamentally acknowledge that, at the very least, no particular form of CHRISTIANITY is more valid than any other on the merits of its own claims. So it really doesn't matter which one you pick, since you get a cushy afterlife no matter what. You could have picked reformed east-coast Presbyterianism and it wouldn't have had a notable effect on the types of sermons you listen to or the sorts of people you sit in rows of chairs with.

But you nonetheless went for the one that requires 1/10th of your income.

Slow Ironic Clapping.

>> No.33929894

>>33929810
>you must fundamentally acknowledge that, at the very least, no particular form of CHRISTIANITY is more valid than any other on the merits of its own claims.
Why would you pick a religion if this were the case? Surely, if you acknowledged that, you would never pick a single faith?

>> No.33929925
File: 22 KB, 300x100, RT88DRj.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33929925

>>33929753
No I don't think you understand dude.
Fedoras have nothing to do with any actual opinion or side of an argument. I have seen both sides of just about any common argument on the internet trying to dismiss eachother's opinions by calling them a Fedora-tipper or some other associated term.
"Fedora" is just a way of disregarding someone's argument entirely despite not actually having a rebuttal that extends beyond "a gut feeling of disgust"

It's basically akin to calling someone a faggot, an autist, retard, a kid, and various other subtypes of Ad Hominem.

Which is why I absolutely fucking loathe the Fedora meme because currently mob rule has dictated that the presence of a hat somehow indicates that Ad Hominem is now a legitimized means of though for the standing argument.

>> No.33929998

>>33929925
>It's basically akin to calling someone a faggot, an autist
Do those even count as insults?
>a retard
That's pretty mild.
>a kid
That makes you look worse than the person you're insulting.

>> No.33930015

>>33929925
I dunno, I've used it as a helpful hint, to point out to folks that they're talking like a fedoratheist and should moderate their dialogue better.

>> No.33930056

>>33929894
I assume that you want to pick some religion to be part of, and that you think christianity is the most obvious choice. Dudeseph here is being all super-cerebral about it, but I'm sure there was another religion out there that more perfectly matched his criteria, but didn't have a local church..

Just because I've decided that a particular pair of pants is the perfect one for me doesn't mean that I've decided that all other pants everywhere else are utter shit and don't even count as pants.

>>33929925
The fedora should not be worn. Unless you can prove that you're wearing it with a three-piece suit or otherwise stylistically matching dress, you have no right to wear a fedora. I've seen a fedora worn with shorts and sandals, and it immediately made me want to turn around and leave the game store.

>> No.33930083

>>33929925
http://boingboing.net/2012/10/02/why-the-fedora-grosses-out-gee.html

>> No.33930097

>>33927991
Y'know i've always been fuzzy on this official language thing in the US. All court records, laws, land grants, and sessions of government are written or spoken in english so just how does that not constitute an official language even if there isn't a piece of paper saying it is?

>> No.33930106

>>33929925

It evolved that way but the kind of people that it started out mocking still exist.

Like "hipster".

>> No.33930115

>>33930056
>but didn't have a local church..
>yfw people are so sedentary that shit like this is a relevant concern

>> No.33930164

>>33929810
That's not exactly true, some forms of Christianity are more valid from a foundational and doctrinal point of view than others. At least if they're making an attempt to live scripturally. Obviously a Mormon isn't quite as orthodoxly a Christian as a Coptic. A metaphor might be if you compared Chihuahuas to German Shepards. They're both technically dogs, but a German Shepard is closer to the original form, and thus more, doggish, for lack of a better term, than a Chihuahua.

>>33929894
Well actually you can acknowledge that up until you make the choice, then you're committed. For if you ascribe to a certain faith you should make an attempt to follow the teachings of that faith. Hence why we got into this boondoggle in the first place when I called Roman Catholics idolaters and papists.

>> No.33930214

>>33930083
>second picture has a guy properly wearing a fedora that fits him, with a matching suit
There's nothing wrong with this. The only reason he doesn't look good is because he's an awkward teenager. He wouldn't look better in anything else.

>> No.33930227
File: 35 KB, 471x702, indiana_jones_wearing_his_hat.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33930227

>>33930056
>Unless you can prove that you're wearing it with a three-piece suit or otherwise stylistically matching dress
No, that just makes it worse in most cases.

In fact, I think the definitions on who should or should not wear a fedora should revolve around the aspect of facial structure, body type, and puberty. Like basically every hat.
Rugged Mr. Jones over here can pull off a fedora because he doesn't look like an either shriveled or obese dweeb, and is actually a mature human being. Not some social reject posing for his senior yearbook photo.
The rugged jawline and creases of his face also accentuate the angular and dimpled style of the hat, but that's just /fa/ nonsense.

>> No.33930235

>>33930164
>when I called Roman Catholics idolaters and papists.
Don't claim credit for shit I started.

>> No.33930240

Why yall postin in a troll thread?

>> No.33930242

>>33930115
What? Dude's going to move to a new city just because it has the right kind of church? Some people, have, you know, friends and shit. Gym memberships.

>>33930164
Okay, whatever, I'm talking about the "mainstream" protestant faiths, not mormonism or whatever. If we're talking closer to original form being best, then you'd either go catholic church or some sort of eastern orthodox thing, or, since those churches have all fallen from their original grace, start your own church that perfectly replicates the practices of the catholic church circa 800 AD.

>> No.33930277

>>33930242
>implying God doesn't come before all that

>> No.33930299

>>33930235
What? I posted these two posts which I think are the first reference to papists and idolatry in the thread. >>33927630 >>33927959 unless you're the person whose been criticising my choices then I guess you could claim credit.

>> No.33930317

>>33930227
Okay, fine, you're right.

The problem with that is that eventually, the discussion determines that some people's facial features indicate that they should just fucking kill themselves, because no hat or fashion accessory will fix their awful face.

Also, indiana jones would look pretty fucking out-of-place NOW, on a street in 2014, if no one had ever seen an indiana jones film. We only accept that rugged fedora look because, well, Indy.

Hats are not "in" right now. Chosing to wear a hat means that you actively decided that you needed a "thing" to make you more visually interesting or to fit in with a particular hat-designated subculture. Either of those things makes you a human shitstain.

>> No.33930337

>>33930277
>Abandon your friends and gym memberships to come live on our compound and tithe for us.

I see no possible negative outcome.

>> No.33930415

>>33925124
>2014
>not screeching like an alien abomination at very opportunity

>> No.33930692
File: 363 KB, 900x1092, 1387430515946.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google] [report]
33930692

>>33925039
>Years ago, when I was seventeen.
>Be playing orks, small army, nothing to cu-hrazy
>I say: "Okay, I'm gunna call a waaagh."
>Person I was playing against said: "Dude, if you are gunna do that, do it right."
>He proceeds to holler 'waaagh' at the top of his lungs.
>One by one, every person in the play room joins in.
>A total of ten people are all yelling waaagh as much as their lungs will permit.
>I'm just standing there in disbelief.
>We get yelled at by the manager.

I love my group.

>> No.33930913

>>33930240
Because, believe it or not, /tg/ can actually have a much more civil an enlightening discussion on the topic of religion and hats then /pol/ and /fa/ respectively.

>> No.33930986

>>33928845
This. Also, my "just because" reason is that I like history and don't want the old traditions to vanish completely. Don't actually BELIEVE, but I like the rites. Some have faith, some don't. And we accept each other.

>> No.33931043

>>33930164
I disagree, a German Shepard is more of a wolf than the Chihuahua is, thus it is less dog, because it hasn't changed as much from its' original shape.

>> No.33931057

>>33930986
I'm an atheist that have an urge to become a catholic priest.
I don't know exactly why, in the same way i don't know why i want to fuck human-sized mantises.

It's just... there.

>> No.33931059

>>33925124
I'm sure Crons have some kind of death-doom-prophecy you can screech out as some kind of cheesy line.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu2yPvv2xRs
>Death has come for you at last
>The Nightbringer has come for you, Govenor

>> No.33931117

>>33931057
That's a fun thing that's happening in Sweden. Atheistic theology students working as priests. They know the scripture and stuff, after all.

>>
Name (leave empty)
Comment (leave empty)
Name
E-mail
Subject
Comment
Password [?]Password used for file deletion.
Captcha
Action